[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kimi no Na wa and Romanticism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 526
Thread images: 77

After feeling disappointed with Kimi no Na wa, I was wondering why it got so popular in the first place.

My guess: Romanticism. Kimi no Na wa pushes the idea that there is someone out there that we are connected to spiritually (soulmates), and that through literally time, space, and death you are fated to end up together at some point, and that that someone will love you unconditionally and accept everything about you. Personally I think this level of romanticism is unhealthy and childish and it tarnished my opinion of the movie.

In that context, I can see why the average person could enjoy the movie.
What do you guys think?
>>
>>160320717
So your an autist right?
>>
>>160320887
What do you mean?
>>
>>160320717
>why it got so popular in the first place
Herd mentality.
>>
Because it's a fucking great movie.
>>
>>160320717
You are a lonely, man-boy.
>>
>>160321141
Then explain why its great, I'm genuinely curious. In my experience, the characters and story weren't particularly good. The characters were pretty bare bones, the comet wasn't really particularly interesting. The only thing I can think of that ties into everything is the theme of fate, where, like I said, literally nothing will stop them from getting together in the end.
>>
>>160320717
>is someone out there that we are connected to spiritually (soulmates), and that through literally time, space, and death you are fated to end up together at some point
But that's only true about Mitsuha and Taki. Mitsuha's grandmother and mother didn't meet the person they swapped bodies with.
You could actually say that fate worked against them.
>>
>>160321556
Your favorite anime is Legend of Galactic Heroes, you hate new anime and sol series, and of course only OLDSCHOOL anime was worth watching. Am I right?
>>
>>160320717
Anon, humans have felt alone and misunderstood for as long as we have existed in this world. It somes that comes inherently with being self-aware.

Thinking that we can even connect with other people, to the point of sharing the same thoughts and feelings, is what form the very own fabric of pur society and allows our especies to survive.

Romanticism is not childish nor unhealthy, it's a necesity.

Also, ur autistic fag.
>>
File: is-this-bait.png (163KB, 440x445px) Image search: [Google]
is-this-bait.png
163KB, 440x445px
>>160320717
>Romance movie is romanticized
>>
>>160321556
animation and music. It was a great amv!!
>>
>>160321640
Hey, fuck you buddy. LoGH is one of my favourites, but I still found Kimi no Na Wa to be a pretty good movie. Your profile would be more accurate with Cowboy Bebop, Akira, old Berserk or something like that.
>>
Imagine being so jaded and bitter that you can't enjoy the masterpiece that is Kimi no Na wa, I genuinely feel sorry for these people.
>>
>>160321616
>Mitsuha's grandmother and mother didn't meet the person they swapped bodies with.
That's true. I thought they were only talking about the dreams of the comet. Though she never talked about if they fell in love or not, or if they were even swapping bodies with the other sex. It could just be that they weren't fated to be together romantically.

>>160321640
>>160321840
Actually I'm an optimistic person who loves comfy shit and SoL. You can be pragmatic and optimistic, you know.
>>
>>160321840
Me too. Even if I hate most of super popular series (not because of popularity, but most of them are generally shitty), all I can say is that Kimi no na wa is definitely one of the best anime which I've ever seen. It's not only about the plot, but characters, visuals, atmosphere, voice acting and general feeling.
>>
>>160320717
Romanticism was a very real cultural and historical phenomenon with clearly defined aesthetics and ideological principles and I don't like how you're misusing it here
>>
>>160322118
What are you expecting. Most of people didn't understand even a half of this movie even simple things like red thread.
>>
>>160321779
Basically this. The pretty looking improbable melodrama hit people with low standards right in dem feelz.
>>
Kimi no nawa aka How to Fake Feelings and Become a Millionaire.
>>
>>160322118
Romanticism was the root cause, anon. I actually like classical romanticism a lot. I'm a huge fan of Toku, for example, but it also brought out modern romanticism which I detailed in my OP post.
>>
>>160322372
Romanticism has fuck all to do with romance, is my point. Stop conflating the two.
>>
>>160322417
Romance was part, just not all, of the romantic movement.
>>
>>160322538
No it wasn't. Shut the fuck up.
>>
How about we all agree that some enjoyed it, and some didn't? Just because plenty of people did enjoy the film doesn't all of a sudden mean that its popularity should be a commentary on society. Calm the fuck down.
>>
>>160321640
Stop badmouthing LOGH to make your point.
>>
I guess Nii-sama will have to do.. right guys?
>>
>all these torrents
Guess I'll have to download them one by one and compare. Fuck.
>>
It is ugly how social outliers try to find out why normies like things as if they could ever figure it out with their magical thinking.
>>
Overwhelming people with pure emotion is a good strategy if you don't have a compelling story to tell.
>>
>>160322726
[Nii-sama] or [okay], depending on whether you want HEVC or H.264. I'd like to see comparison screenshots.
>>
>>160322821
A good strategy as in a good ploy? Personally, I don't really mind overwhelming emotion. If they pull it off then they pull it off, it's as simple as that. I think people can appreciate a piece that's able to fully accomplish portraying the emotion that it attempts to portray. It might not be some masterpiece, but it definitely carries its own merits.
>>
>>160322821
You'd know what is and isn't a good strategy since you've clearly written and directed dozens of films.
>>
>>160320717
>you are fated to end up together at some point
I'd disagree. They were not fated at all. If anything this movie plays on the dream of being able to create and change fate.

It's a little difficult to involve that with the romantic side because we are dealing with the concept of losing someone.

Additionally, I adore the fact that this movie rejected the idea of instant gratification. Many years go by before they are finally able to see each other. And they retain nothing of their old memories. The happy ending is that they are just able to have a relationship. They are able to start something fresh.

The reason we feel so connected to it is because for us, the viewer, we experience the loss of the relationship. We keep the memories of their actions, they just have the pull.

The amazing part of the film is that it made us feel so strongly for such an average thing, just a relationship. The potential for a relationship. I mean it's not like we saw them incomplete without the other half. They are still going about their life. But it's the chance for something extra, a relationship, which is so special.
>>
>>160322640
It isn't a commentary on society, I'm just digging to understand why others genuinely enjoyed it.
Like this anon pointed out >>160321678 it appeals to a lot of people's inherent desires and fears and not so much rational thought which is the definition of Romanticism.
>>
File: 1500775074337.png (63KB, 278x259px) Image search: [Google]
1500775074337.png
63KB, 278x259px
>>160320717
He doesn't enjoy art because it doesn't agree with his personal philosophy.
Look at this fucking pleb.
>>
>>160322988
You're actually trying to reverse-engineer your horseshit stance that "Romanticism" is responsible for this film's success onto the movie purely by stating that it works on a primarily emotional, not literal, level. Like every film ever made. You tried to talk out of school, got called out on it, and now look like a moron. Own it.
>>
>>160320717
Still salty because it hadn't a "5 cucks per second" ending where MC fails at life, gets cucked twice (or thrice) and is forced to move on and redo his life???
>>
>>160322988
I think the reason why people adore this movie is because it touches on not just a certain theme, but a multitude of themes.

Changing fate
Bringing someone back from death
Supernatural connection with someone
Avoiding natural disaster (big one in Japan for obvious historical reasons, and even though it's not that strong of a theme in the west, it's still a universal theme because we all eventually experience the inevitable natural disaster, death)

Also not to get bullshit emotional, but many people in life experience what it means to be alone, to have childhood hopes and dreams of acceptance and being in love, and the modern world has had us reject that. There is huge nostalgia in this film reminding people of an emotional from their childhood
>>
>>160320717
>that someone will love you unconditionally and accept everything about you

You misunderstand the film's romance if you think that's what happened. Both Taki and Mitsuha didn't like each other when they initially switched and especially did not want them to interfere with their respective lives, but over time they develop a closer bond through spending time to understand and care for each other. At the time that their connection is gone, it starts to become their own decisions and actions to search for each other, no matter how far, just to see if their other cares for them back. They yearn for each other because of the emotions and experiences that fuel their passion over the logic of having never actually met. They lose their memories of each other, but they know that they love their other and did as much as they could to show they did, which boils down to the connection they share that made them believe they'll know when they see each other again.

The romance aspect of the ending is not to be seen as a reset where two strangers happen to be soulmates because of past memories. It is because those events are real and their actions and feels are real that they continue living their lives up to the point where they finally find each other, and those lives finally entwine beyond the initial bodyswappings. Of course there's no way to replicate that type of development and love from a work of fiction, but the musubi theme is there in that people are connected yet how they choose to cherish that connection is based on what each party feels and is willing to do for each other.

tl;dr: It is a red-string-of-fate type of romance, but it is executed well because the strings are carefully and gradually weaved to be more than just a thin strand of "just love".
>>
>>160320717
It's so boring.
>>
File: mitsuha up.png (499KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mitsuha up.png
499KB, 1280x720px
>>160323215
and their actions and feelings* are real

And by "more than just a thin strand of 'just love;", I meant as in there's more to it than "love just happens".
>>
>>160322959
Interesting thoughts. Thanks, anon.

>>160323101
Maybe my original post didn't convey it, but my problem with the film that it relied too much on the emotional tug of romance and that portrayed it in a way that even if you do nothing and just go about your day the girl of your dreams will just come to you. It didn't portray the more rational side of love. In the screenshot I posted, they wanted to be together so bad that they warped through time to meet each other. Taki even wrote "daisuki" instead of his name even though the more rational decision would be to write his name.
>>
>>160323215
>but over time they develop a closer bond through spending time to understand and care for each other.
Their interaction is a 5 minute music video. That's why their bond feels fake. That's why the movie feels forced.
>>
>>160322930
I'm suggesting that the movie is manipulative. For an example of people getting it wrong, take a look at >>160323101 who writes
>it works on a primarily emotional (...) level. Like every film ever made
This is wrong. Films are primarily intellectual works, the writing and directing consists of carefully and meticulously constructing an intelligible narrative. Emotions are involved, but movies made purely on emotion tend to be sloppy and incoherent. A good movie can evoke emotion, but a manipulative movie does it forcefully by using imagery so basic that it's guaranteed to trigger a response. It's like when laughter spreads in a crowd, basic empathy makes it possible to make someone cry by showing them a video clip of a person crying. It's the laziest form of filmmaking. Manipulative movies are obviously quite calculating, intellectual constructs rather than emotional, and hardly romantic.
>>
>>160323215
honestly at the point where Taki loses her, he had just gotten to the point in the relationship where he wanted to meet her.

The biggest development in their relationship, and the reason they fell in love, in my opinion is because they fought for each other. They tried to save each other's lives.

Actually wait no that's wrong, Taki fought for Mitsuha's life, and then for the lives of her family and the village. And she fought for the village and her family and her own life, and he was there for her giving her strength.

I'd say that absolutely is the reason they fell into such a strong form of love that transcended their memories, which is what they gave up when they left the underworld
>>
>>160323215
>Both Taki and Mitsuha didn't like each other when they initially switched and especially did not want them to interfere with their respective lives, but over time they develop a closer bond through spending time to understand and care for each other.
That's what I was talking about, though. Taki saw Mitsuha's embarrassing family problems and stood up for her, and Mitsuha helped Taki interact with others. They didn't achieve this through relying on each other and opening up to each other slowly over time, they were quite literally forced to by fate. I like idealized romance as much as the next guy, but I prefer it when its much more grounded.
>the musubi theme is there in that people are connected yet how they choose to cherish that connection is based on what each party feels and is willing to do for each other.
This seems pretty interesting though. Where did you learn about this? I'd like to read up on it more and google just brings me to the food.
>>
>>160322660
He's not badmouthing LOGH, he's badmouthing the kind of person who hates new stuff and only likes "serious" anime. That anon can derive that thought from reading a post from someone who dislikes a movie because it supports a romantic ideal.
>>
Decent subs when?
>>
>>160323704
Eh I'd disagree, they weren't forced to at all. If anything the act of selflessly helping another person is what caused them to get close.

It might not have been selfless either. Remember that their own life was in the other's hands. They could have really fucked it up with no control on their own if they wanted. So it was like a mutual agreement. They were kind and helped each other, possibly with the hope that they would show the same kindness to their life. Or maybe because they showed the same kindness.

That's actually some nice insight into a relationship at all. You are letting someone into your life, letting them have some control and impact and trusting them to do what's best for you. And you do the same out of respect and because they do and because you want them to and it becomes a crazy chicken and egg "where does the origin lie" which spawns love
>>
>>160323848
it goes much further too when you look at the act of sex, letting someone not only impact your life but your body, trusting them with who you are
>>
>>160323619
>Films are primarily intellectual works, the writing and directing consists of carefully and meticulously constructing an intelligible narrative.
What I was saying is that they work to draw emotion out of the viewer. It wasn't a statement on the process of creating, but consuming.
>>
>>160323385
>portrayed it in a way that even if you do nothing and just go about your day the girl of your dreams will just come to you
You missed the point of the movie, then. Taki and Mitsuha both sacrificed everything, all their memories, and spent years in quiet solitude. This was *after* they both worked extremely hard to solve the issue they were faced with, rather than sitting around doing nothing.
>Taki even wrote "daisuki" instead of his name even though the more rational decision would be to write his name.
HUMANS
AREN'T
RATIONAL
ACTORS
YOU
FUCKING
NARCISSIST
MORON
>>
>this level of romanticism is unhealthy

>he says, in a board where anime romanticises everything
>>
>>160323848
>It might not have been selfless either. Remember that their own life was in the other's hands. They could have really fucked it up with no control on their own if they wanted. So it was like a mutual agreement. They were kind and helped each other, possibly with the hope that they would show the same kindness to their life. Or maybe because they showed the same kindness.
That is a good point, but they still crossed a lot of boundaries such as Taki rubbing Mitsuha's boobs or Mitsuha spending all of Taki's money, and even boundaries with real social risks like kicking the desk over or asking out the waiter. They even steadily got more and more upset with each other as the montage went on because of it. Sure, they didn't go out and have sex with random people or kill someone, but I'd still argue they didn't really hold back when it came to mutual boundaries with that results in zero consequences. Any "helping" was inadvertent.
>>
>>160323385
>Acts as if living alone whilst searching for one person in the entirety of Japan isn't difficult.
>Acts as if abstinence isn't difficult.
>Acts as if becoming a total wage-slave whilst having abstinence isn't difficult.
>>
>>160323825
Nii-sama, or cartel crap with memes and complete cultural washout in future.
>>
>>160324272
>Strange wonky time-travelling body-swapping shit happens.
>He touched her boobs, that's scandalous!
I'm a girl and that would one of the least of my concerns.
>>
>>160324144
Finally someone who understands it.
>>
>>160324394
*be one of the least of my concerns. Goddammit.
>>
>>160324144
>You missed the point of the movie, then. Taki and Mitsuha both sacrificed everything, all their memories, and spent years in quiet solitude. This was *after* they both worked extremely hard to solve the issue they were faced with, rather than sitting around doing nothing.
I meant before and after the story. They get linked before they even know each other, and their memories get taken away, not sacrificed, and then thrown back into the world where they subconsciously chase (once again, fate) that tug towards their soulmate and they are all lovey dovey in the exact moment they see each other.
Also they fall in love before the comet was even an issue.
>humans etc etc
A person can be rational, people aren't :^)

>>160324394
>I'm a girl and that would one of the least of my concerns.
Well you also aren't Mitsuha. It clearly bothered her.
>>
>>160320717
Why can't you faggots understand that it wasn't one thing that made it so well received. Beautiful art, breathtaking shots and set pieces, relatable and likeable characters, the RADWIMPS ost, the overall structure and plot and the many dichotomy of themes. On top of all that it's actually very well connected and put together and doesn't come off as a bunch of cheap ideas hastily put together (Musubi). Even if you're an edgy contrarian faggot that was ruined by the overwhelming hype, you're bound to admitting some part of it was good so of course normalfags were definitely going to eat it all up.
>Kimi no Na wa pushes the idea that there is someone out there that we are connected to spiritually (soulmates), and that through literally time, space, and death you are fated to end up together at some point, and that that someone will love you unconditionally and accept everything about you.
No, it doesn't. The fact that it revolves around a supernatural concept breaks that illusion unless you're 8 years old or retardedly gullible. It pushes the idea of wanting to meet someone and not trying to forget them. Take your self insert faggotry elsewhere.
>>
>>160324600
Mitsuha had shed some annoyance but she didn't have a psychological meltdown to the point where this 'border-crossing' would be a serious issue.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (268KB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
268KB, 1280x688px
>>160324371
>>
File: 1500153462788.jpg (41KB, 600x791px) Image search: [Google]
1500153462788.jpg
41KB, 600x791px
I don't understand its appeal either despite watching it two times. It feels like a watered down 5cm/s with a meaningless happy ending shoved in that has neither an interesting message or shows somehow interesting romantic relationships.
Not like Shinkai can do anything else but repeat the same theme of longing for something lost and unreachable over and over again.
>>
File: screenshot.png (117KB, 683x728px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
117KB, 683x728px
Nice.
>>
>>160324633
>supernatural concept
Soulmates are a supernatural concept.
> the overall structure and plot and the many dichotomy of themes
That's what prompted my probing into why people enjoyed it the film, because there are glaring plotholes and conveniences in the film, and I don't think Shinkai is that stupid to leave those there accidentally so that's why I theorized they tied were important to theme of fate.
For example, a huge natural disaster only 3 years ago that killed 500 people would not have been forgotten by anybody. The name of that town would have been plastered everywhere for a long time, there's no way Taki would forget it ever happened. Not to mention he doesn't even know the town's name that he spent at least a couple weeks in nor did he nor Mitsuha see the date while going through each other's phone calendars. Not to mention they have never even met, so falling in love would be impossible. Not to mention they bump into each other in the very large city of Tokyo.

If you look at it rationally, the story is fucking garbage. Shinkai tends to make these aimless films that seem to glorify a single feeling instead of creating a concrete narrative and KnNw is no different. So that's why I asked myself, "What makes this one so successful compared to his previous films?".
The only real difference I can pinpoint is the theme, and KnNw had a theme that almost everyone can very easily desire, unconditional love without all the baggage of a real relationship.
>>
>>160325481
>For example, a huge natural disaster only 3 years ago that killed 500 people would not have been forgotten by anybody.
Taki's memory was being fucked with. It might not be as clear in the movie but in the LN after he remembers he says that "it's even part of the school curriculum now, how could he have forgotten it?".
>Not to mention he doesn't even know the town's name that he spent at least a couple weeks in
Their memories of stuff that happened while in the other person's body was not perfect when they returned. That was made clear in the movie.
> nor did he nor Mitsuha see the date while going through each other's phone calendars
I don't consider this to be as important as other people do. They were fucking bodyswapping. What difference would it make if they were bodyswapping across time.
The most obvious issue here, though, is that she organizes a date with sempai on a day that must have been the weekend on Taki's side, but when she wakes up she puts on uniform.
>Not to mention they have never even met, so falling in love would be impossible.
They lived in each other's body, what better way to get to know someone?

>Not to mention they bump into each other in the very large city of Tokyo.
A friend of mine came to Tokyo to work earlier this year. About a month after he arrived he ran into a workmate from his old workplace in Australia in Akihabara. He didn't even know the guy was coming to Japan.
Even if it is unlikely it is possible. And she knew what likely areas Taki would be around and was hanging around his line.
>>
>>160320717
It's garbage. Watch real thought-provoking art like Evangelion.
>>
>>160326784
Not sure if trolling...
>>
>>160326843
No. Eva is /a/ approved while kimi no na wa is mass produced garbage for the sheep.
>>
>>160326660
>Taki's memory was being fucked with
Why?
>>
>>160326896
Plot convenient magic. You are not supposed to think, just feel and accept all the bullshit.
>>
File: 1494753078198.png (1MB, 1080x1288px) Image search: [Google]
1494753078198.png
1MB, 1080x1288px
>>160326959
I can could accept this if there actually were feels to speak of, but given how hollow the movie is, this shit simply won't fly.
>>
>>160321722
romance!=romanticism
>>
>>160320717
This movie is some disney-tier garbage. It's a disgrace to call it anime, just admit this shit was a western-pandering cash grab with the allure of it being "Japanese". No soul or anything good at all here.
>>
>>160326959
Basically this. God wanted them to work for it.
He was clearly fucking with their memories from the beginning (so they didn't clearly remember time spent in the other person).
I don't know if it is something from their religion, that gods need to make people go through a trial or some shit.

Just accept the bullshit.

Also, also, depending how you think about it maybe Mitsuha did notice the three year difference. Keep that in mind when listening to her monologue when she goes to Tokyo to meet Taki.
>>
>>160327276
>This movie is some disney-tier garbage.

You really don't know what are you talking about. You just didn't understand it. Watch it again when you study more of Japanese culture and their believes.
>>
>>160327556
>just accept the bullshit
if that's your best argument then just accept the fact that your movie sucks
>>
>>160327781
Are you saying that you won't accept any bullshit from any movie you watch?

What is you list of favorite movies?
>>
>>160327772
I thought the gags were ok but when everyone in the theater laughed it made me not like it because they weren't appreciating the comedy on the intuitive level of Japanese culture. It's "Japanese culture" on the most shallow level. Ultimately this led me to not liking the movie as much either. Too much normalfags enjoying the movie for all the wrong reasons made me question if this movie was a genuine piece of work, or merely a quasi-Japanese film intended to appeal to westerners because it's foreign.

After another rewatch, I still see the same soulless cashgrab that I found when I saw it in the theater. In fact, a lot of the gags and thrills were meant for the theater so that they can be amplified though the reactions of the audience. Watching it alone with a more critical and observant eye shows that this movie isn't anything special. meh.
>>
>>160327826
>Are you saying that you won't accept any bullshit from any movie you watch?
Not when it is a critical factor to the entire plot, and I'm not going to spoonfeed you on what good movies actually are. Get some taste yourself.
>>
>>160328085
Now I'm super curious as to what your favorite movies are.
>>
How did the dub handle the "watashi, boku, ore" scene?
>>
>>160327848
You are talking about humor. It is not a comedy. Of course many humorous scenes exists here, but your main focus should be different. It's about connection between 2 people who don't know each other. It has really deep subplot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_string_of_fate
And this is only one many other things here.
I guess that a lot of people watched it with too superficial attitude. Of course most of people are not interested in Japanese and asian believes, culture etc.
And finally, I don't really know why it's so popular, without understanding the basic of their culture, I wouldn't be able to understand the whole thing at all. I mean, of course - it wasn't so hard to understand the general idea (but I've seen many people confused by how's the time worked etc, well - this is just sad), why I liked is so much? Because I understood, WHY it was done in this way. Of course if I add flawless art and animation, phenomenal atmosphere, music, voice acting - then I have an another masterpiece. I was really moved at the end.
>>
>>160320717
>What do you guys think?
If you set your expectations to an acceptable level its a good flick. Yes its a "crowd pleaser" but I don't think Shinkai made it to be thought out more than a sub surface level hence why it was such a huge hit. I consider it the Do You Remember Love? of this decade a movie that's best enjoyed as a spectacle and nothing more.
>>
>>160328437
I don't even want to know it.
Anyway, who cares about dubs. Dubs are for people with defective brains.
>>
>>160327848
>I thought the gags were ok but when everyone in the theater laughed it made me not like it because they weren't appreciating the comedy on the intuitive level of Japanese culture.
This is the most contrived bullshit I have read in a long time.
>>
File: its close.png (11KB, 777x133px) Image search: [Google]
its close.png
11KB, 777x133px
It's nearly here Anons.
>>
File: mpv-shot0001.jpg (263KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0001.jpg
263KB, 1920x1080px
Don't worry, this qt probably still experimented with enough dicks during those 8 years.
>>
>>160328550
It's not just comedy, and yes I know the movie is about the overdone cliche red string of fate. It's not anything groundbreaking, just a generic flick with some sci-fi elements and pretty visuals.
>>160328694
not an argument
>>
>>160327826
>you won't accept any bullshit from any movie you watch
If story doesn't even try to be believable and just invents cheap cop outs to hide plot holes, why should i accept it?
>>
>>160328842
Don't worry, she was pure. The LN makes it clear enough, she was also thinking もうすこしだけでいい, she was in the same space as Taki.

The manga goes even further, having her brutally turn down dates and Yotsuha getting pissed that she hasn't found anyone yet.
>>
SEED MOTHERFUCKERS
>>
>>160328085
So you're just shitposting then. Good to know.
>>
>>160328978
I know it's not an argument, but your statement is just stupid.

Comedy is not something that is the same for everyone, even everyone in the same culture.
You think that every single Japanese person agrees on which points were funny and which points weren't?

Some people will laugh at things you see coming a mile away and facepalm at. Sometimes you will laugh at things that aren't even funny because other people are laughing. The fact that you find such fault with other people laughing at "the wrong things" and "not appreciating [Japanese] comedy" just boggles my mind.
>>
>>160329014
I am getting more and more curious as to your favorite movies.

Come on, name one of them.
>>
>>160320717
I am someone that is in love with the romanticism of this movie, especially cause I'm a single kissless virgin who was never the center of attention for girls I liked, just seeing this kind of romance in an anime medium was really touching and gives me a sad yet hopeful feeling that everything will be better in the end somehow.
>>
i just want to be loved
>>
I just watched it. It ends with a /tv/ meme. 10/10.
>>160328842
I doubt it. With a growing tugging of fate, which can cause time travel and rewrite history, she and taki most likely turned down any suitors.
>>
>>160329209
If you're not analyzing a Japanese film by Japanese standards, you are a fucking tool. Might as well go back to your disneyshit, cunt. Better yet, go back to where you came from so that this place doesn't get more infested by casuals.
>>
>>160329238
I'm not the one you were talking with.
Your desire to derail the discussion away from knnw is adorable but this shit simply won't fly.
Knnw is an awful movie with horrifying plot holes and cheap cop outs and you don't need to compare it with anything to clearly see it.
I'm sorry.
>>
>>160329580
Just name one fucking movie.
>>
>>160329635
You have autism, my friend.
>>
>>160329555
Are you even Japanese to be able to do that?
>>
>>160320717
That's not what Romanticism means.
>>
>>160329658
Naming a movie will let me know if he knows what he is talking about or is a fucking retard.

Refusing just makes me think he is scared I will know of a major flaw in a movie he likes and will make him look retarded.
>>
>>160329555
>analyzing a Japanese film by Japanese standards
Any good movie can be analysed outside of its own native culture while still retaining its own charm.
>>
>>160320717
This is why anons love it so much.
It gives them the illusion that their waifu is somewhere out there, waiting for them.
>>
>>160321640
LoGH and K-On are my two favorite anime
>>
>>160329727
No but what the hell is the point of watching foreign films if you aren't trying to understand the message for the intended audience? From what I found, it's a western film with Japanese allure. Nips love it because it has the recipe of an American flick and nips love the west, and westerners love it because it's "soo japanese anime xD"
>>
>>160320717
Yes, and that's a good thing. At least let us escape for a moment from the reality that people are shitty and relationships are meaningless
>>
File: 1498338782905.png (19KB, 512x323px) Image search: [Google]
1498338782905.png
19KB, 512x323px
>>160329815
We're talking about knnw and since it's an awful movie you're hell-bent on defending, your own analysis of any other movie is not worth shit, anon.
>>
>>160327848
Did you seriously just say that you decided not to enjoy the movie because normalfags enjoyed the movie?
>>
>>160330157
Normalfags enjoying something is usually an indicator that something is awful
>>
CONTRARIAN
ONTRARIAN
NTRARIAN
TRARIAN
RARIAN
ARIAN
RIAN
IAN
AN
N
>>
>>160330279
>ARIAN
>>>/pol/
>>
>>160330244
This. I know some normalfags who recommended me LoGH because they thought it was good, and when I watched it, it was fucking garbage.
>>
Why were they even able to meet on the mountain?
>>
>>160320717
Been watching those school of life videos eh? Shitty movie, though. I only enjoyed some of the supernatural stuff, and that's more like an after-the-fact lore kind of thing that most people probably didn't even notice.
>>
>>160330501
you are trying to apply logic to this movie
stop
>>
>>160330501
Did you even watch the movie? It's because of かたわれ時
>>
>>160320717
Romance movie romanticizing love wow who would have though
>>
File: 1406521388486.gif (1023KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1406521388486.gif
1023KB, 500x281px
>>160330553
>Been watching those school of life videos eh?
n-no
Not that video at least. They tend to rehash certain ideas for videos so I never bothered watching it
>>
It's probably a better watch if you've seen 5 centimeters first.
>>
>>160320717
>I was wondering why it got so popular in the first place
It's popular because it sets up expectations and then subverts them with twists. People live that shit

>oh they're going to meet each other nevermind she's dead
>but maybe she survived? nah she died 3 years ago
>well obviously he'll fix it! nope they forgot each other existed
>well they're going to meet again and fall in love! maybe
>>
>>160323825
[okay] will have a v2 with good subs in a day or 2
>>
>>160330501
They've been time traveling swapping lives for 70 minutes of the movie and that was the point that tripped you up?
>>
>>160330883
body swapping was an established element of the movie
this moment came out of nowhere and wasn't explained at all
>>
>>160330928
Musubi
>>
Anyone watch Nii-sama's latest release? Does it look as good as okay's? How about the subs?
>>
>>160320717
It makes stupid people feel smart.
>>
>>160330928
Rewatch the beginning when Sensei from Garden of Words explains katawaredoki
>>
>>160330019
You are basing your analysis of Kimi no Na wa on other movies though.

So regardless, it's there.

For, probably, the most major plot hole, why didn't Taki remember about Itomori being destroyed, why did the god block that from his memory, the most likely explanation, which I mentioned, is probably the concept of a trial.
It's a common trope in media, that gods don't give away things for free, that people have to undergo a trial or trials to get something in return. In this case it was a number of trials to determine if he was a bad enough dude to attempt to change the past.
>>
>>160330928
They made a point to talk about twilight. They talked about time fragments and fate strings, which can cause time travel and rewrite history. They make a point to say that the cord will sometimes untwine and retwine at points. It's a common theme for magical shit to happen at twilight. It was probably explained better in the written mediums but it's not like it would take a person to make a giant leap to come to that conclusion.
>>
>>160330928
>this moment came out of nowhere and wasn't explained at all
Pay attention in class next time.
>>
>>160325481
>Soulmates are a supernatural concept
Soulmates/red string of fate was a theme, retard. Body switching was the concept. The fact that I have to explain this to you illustrates that misunderstood the film.
>a huge natural disaster only 3 years ago that killed 500 people would not have been forgotten by anybody. The name of that town would have been plastered everywhere for a long time, there's no way Taki would forget it ever happened. Not to mention he doesn't even know the town's name that he spent at least a couple weeks in
This is actually bullshit. You're underestimating how self-absorbed people can be. It's completely within the realm of possibility that Taki, someone who was architecture obsessed, worked part time too much and shoved his head into notes on the train home to forget about it. Also the dates are actually shown in the film when they look at the phones. They did see it (as did we), the point is they didn't notice it.
>If you look at it rationally, the story is fucking garbage.
I'm actually not going to refute this. After all, Shinkai made the film based on the idea of a "Boy meets Girl" film where the meeting takes place at the end. It's not gonna win any Pulitzer prizes but as they say, it's about the execution. Those plot holes you mentioned? If you think about it "rationally" while considering the nature of the body switches, it's easy to miss shit like dates, names and events. Not to the mention the whole culture differences that get lost on the western viewers.
>Shinkai tends to make these aimless films that seem to glorify a single feeling instead of creating a concrete narrative and KnNw is no different. So that's why I asked myself, "What makes this one so successful compared to his previous films?".
You can't look at this film in anything other than a written viewpoint, something you already barely understand, so it's impossible for you to get that answer. You can give up now or you can try hard for year and give up then.
>>
Is there seriously no NTR in this? What the fuck, /a/, you fucking tricked me.
Dropped.
>>
>>160331246
Teshigawara liked Mitsuha and Taki stole her away.
>>
File: 3MB filelimits succ.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
3MB filelimits succ.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>160320717
You're using that word wrong.
>>
>>160325481
>For example, a huge natural disaster only 3 years ago that killed 500 people would not have been forgotten by anybody. The name of that town would have been plastered everywhere for a long time, there's no way Taki would forget it ever happened.
Most nips don't even care about 3/11 anymore until it comes around, and that's one of the issues Shinkai is tackling. There's a social divide between those in Tokyo and those in the countryside, and even huge natural disasters are just a small moment in their daily hectic lives.
>>
>>160322726
I'm about to watch Nii-samas I can't hold out any longer.
>>
>>
>>160331768
Gonna need a 4k cap of pic related. All of Katawaredoki is wallpaper-worthy.
>>
File: 1469636006582.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1469636006582.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>160332072
image too large

https://i.imgur.com/jgMyg9B.png
>>
>>160332166
Did you just upscale that?
>>
>>160332198
no
>>
>>160331246
There's reverse NTR

Taki is all set up to date his hot coworker and she's crazy about him but the bodyswap shenanigans makes him forget about her.
>>
>>160332346
Mitsuha cucks Okudera and Taki cucks Tessie
>>
File: i14354846721.jpg (66KB, 586x306px) Image search: [Google]
i14354846721.jpg
66KB, 586x306px
>>160323513
You know, it's kinda interesting.

The pic related says this guy's brother went to see the film with his girlfriend. The guy tells his brother that he felt that the part where they fall in love feels forced, but brother didn't see anything wrong with that.

It's kind of interesting.
>>
>>160330928
Were you not paying attention in class? The teacher explained that twilight is a special time where one might encounter something supernatural.
>>
>>160332705
>>160323513
Wow, different people have different opinions!
>>
>>160320717
another sleepmedicine shinkaitrash heralded by paid rottentomatoes shills so that every braindamaged normie thinks disliking it means you're uncool and out of the norm

magine the potential if they fired shinkai, took his animators and made a space opera/ww2 or a cyberpunk anime with similar budget

but no, got to stay in safe waters because you're a hack who has zero creative vision beyond "xD romantic boy meets girl story"
>>
>>160332776
The thing is the guy who feels it was forced is a kissless virgin while his brother has a girlfriend and all.
>>
>>160332807
Man, you can't just throw a bunch of buzzwords around and call it a post.
>>
>>160332997
if you only manage to see buzzwords in that post then you lack braincells
>>
File: 14924543840910.png (259KB, 463x533px) Image search: [Google]
14924543840910.png
259KB, 463x533px
I'm usually a sucker for romance but for the entirety of KnNw i felt absolutely nothing. This actually surprised me because i remember 5cm/s leaving a fairly strong emotional impact and sensation of longing after i've finished it years ago. Can't even pinpoint what's exactly is wrong with this movie. Maybe it did too little to establish feelings between main characters, maybe the entire story concept felt way too absurd to immerse myself in it, maybe both of those at once.

By the time of ending i thought that at least another tragic end could force me to feel something but without a good enough emotional buildup the happy end felt kinda shallow, empty and undeserved.
>>
>>160320717
I loved it. Endearing story, great art and animation. Likable characters. It is somewhat unrealistic but it's a fucking anime, what do you expect? The Shintoism and strings of fate really make it good too. It's a great love story.
>>
>>160333083
Easy, 5cm was NTR while this is vanilla
>>
i love this movie!
>>
>>160333083
I thought 5cmps was much more immersive. I remember feeling that nervousness when the MC was riding the train to see his girlfriend, and the way they were all huddled up around the heater in the cold.
I didn't get any of those sorts of feelings watching KnNw. In fact, KnNw just seemed a lot more "anime" than his previous films, which were much more pragmatic and solemn.
>>
>>160333083
>>160333255
I'm happy for the people who can enjoy 5cms, but that movie always makes me want to alap the MC in the face and tell him to at least try before complaining he failed.
>>
>>160332368
Thing is, when Okudera says she like Taki she refers to the way he was acting recently (trying hard) and that was probably more Mitsuha than Taki.
And while Taki may have had a crush on Okudera it wasn't something he was pursuing, but he couldn't blow her off because you don't fuck up work relationships.

So in the end we blame Mitsuha for Okudera taking up smoking again. Thanks Mitsuha.
>>
>>160333374
I've actually watched it years ago, probably around the time it was released and kinda scared to re-watch it now because it can potentially destroy all good memories i had about it. But i really felt like it allowed the watcher to immerse way deeper than KnNw.
>>
>>160323513
I think writers went faster there because, even though it's a romance anime, it was not meant to be profound about how that relationship developed, but more of how they would choose to care for each other even when not forced to. In a production standpoint, if they had given more time to that and less time explaining any scene after that, it would possibly end up in a cliché or just not memorable enough
>>
>>160333617
>it was not meant to be profound about how that relationship developed
Not giving enough spotlight to the development of relationships between characters is the easiest way to fuck up any love story unless there's some extremely important plot reasons that stop you from doing it, and it wasn't the case here.
>>
>>160333083
>>160333123
>>160333255
>>160333374
The characters in 5cm are so quiet and reserved I'm surprised they even have a pulse. It's so fucking anemic. I never bought into any of it.
>>
>>160320717
It was a cute story nigga, People like cute stories
>>
Do you think Taki ever phased into her on a day when she had her period?
>>
>>160335651
Considering he was spending a few days a week as her, he almost certainly did.
>>
File: what are you doing.webm (323KB, 650x560px) Image search: [Google]
what are you doing.webm
323KB, 650x560px
>>160331670
don't do it anon!
>>
>>160326896
Quite possibly because the past was malleable, and depending on his actions. the past would remain the same, or be changed. Basically, Schrodinger's event (to an extent).
>>
>>160337232
That's not how Schrodinger's works you twat. Jesus christ kimi no nawa fags are idiots who spout big words to make them sound smart.
>>
>>160337351
I know how it works you retard, which is why I wrote "to an extent", because it wasn't an exact match but it still implies a quasi- form of the event happening as Taki knows it at first or not happening that way at all. Did you even understand my post or just pick a word to criticize?
>>
>>160337415
The only thing quasi- was your quasi-intelligent post. Fuck off.
>>
>>160337482
So you have no argument, rebuttal, nor intelligent comment to make. Fuck off, retard
>>
>>160337521
The memory loss was not a result of schrodinger's event, it was a result of poor writing.
>>
>>160337561
>poor writing
Care to demonstrate instead of parroting memes?
>>
>>160337597
off the top of my head
>on phone every day
>go to school
>doesn't know the dates are misaligned
>doesn't recall the literal death comet that leveled a town and caused a national tragedy
>falls in love out of nowhere
>doesn't get caught up in trouble with their lifeswapping despite their poor understanding of the situation, because clearly tokyo and some boonie town are teaching the same exact curriculum
>>
>>160337683
>>on phone every day
>>go to school
>>doesn't know the dates are misaligned
>>doesn't recall the literal death comet that leveled a town and caused a national tragedy
Already explained as supernatural forces fucking with their memories. The whole movie is predicated on metaphysical forces interfering with human lives. If you can't accept that, then this movie isn't for you.

>>falls in love out of nowhere
>what is the montage
>what is the whole trying to rescue mitsuha from her fate

>>doesn't get caught up in trouble with their lifeswapping despite their poor understanding of the situation, because clearly tokyo and some boonie town are teaching the same exact curriculum

Did you miss them agreeing to tone the shit down because people were getting suspicious as to what's wrong with them?
>>
>>160337802
>Already explained as supernatural forces fucking with their memories
i.e bad writing. Hint: if the reason is "magic", it's a copout and a telltale sign of bad writing. There wasn't even any foreshadowing or explanation as to why their memories were jumbled.

Trying to save Mitsuha from her fate happened once Taki was already in love with her. The only indication that we see of them falling in love was a shitty 2-3 minute music video which was also an awkward break in the movie.
>>
>>160337963
>.e bad writing. Hint: if the reason is "magic", it's a copout and a telltale sign of bad writing. There wasn't even any foreshadowing or explanation as to why their memories were jumbled.
Pro-tip: the whole movie was magic. Time travel so far is impossible and so is body swapping. If you can't even suspend disbelief to let the movie establish its own universe, why did you watch it?

>Trying to save Mitsuha from her fate happened once Taki was already in love with her. The only indication that we see of them falling in love was a shitty 2-3 minute music video which was also an awkward break in the movie.
Sometimes love is like a slow flame and sometimes love is a long simmer and then a huge flame. Taki realized he liked Mitsuha when he had the date and Mistuha realized her feelings as well after she had made the date for Taki. They didn't like each other that much, but sometimes distance makes the heart fonder and also stressful situations like the whole saving the village can have the suspension bridge effect
>>
>>160338085
>Pro-tip: the whole movie was magic.
Yep, that's why it's garbage. Only watched it because it was some smash hit, unfortunately nips proved me time and time again that their taste is shit and this was no different. Accepting time travel and body swapping for the sake of the universe is ok, but the lost memories was an asspull to let the rest of the movie happen and it was never explained.

So their love was unnatural and forced, which is why it never felt that great in the first place. They could have just said Taki liked her boobs and that would have been a million times more clearer and better than the vague shit.
>>
>>160338273
>Yep, that's why it's garbage
You're retarded. Movies are only allowed to be set in the real world? Why even bother? Just watch a documentary, you might actually learn something too.
What type of movies do you think qualify as good?

>So their love was unnatural and forced, which is why it never felt that great in the first place
First of all, love is hardly ever rational. Secondly, love that develops because of extreme situations isn't forced, as it does happen in the real world, and some people don't need years of cohabitation to develop strong feelings either.
>>
>>160332807
>magine the potential if they fired shinkai, took his animators and made a space opera/ww2 or a cyberpunk anime with similar budget
If it's a shit writer, then the movie will be terrible. Also, romance stories are one of the most basic types of movies since everyone can feel some type of romance. But that base can be worked into many different ways while still resonating with people. He had the creative vision to turn his movie into a phenomenon
>>
>>160338343
>What type of movies do you think qualify as good?
Oh so you're the same damage-controlling poster from earlier. Watch more anime.
>>
>>160333255
I feel 5cm/s digs deep, especially if you've ever been in that situation or have felt those emotions of love and regret. It's real. The story of KnNw is idealized, but it's also happy while giving you twists. It's not meant to hit you hard in the gut in the same way, it's supposed to give you hope. Maybe that's why you felt like 5cm/s was more immersive, a personal movie vs an idealized one
>>
>>160338473
I'm not him but you sound like the same faggot who claimed the movie was bad and tried to prop up his "movie knowledge" but can't give a movie to have as a metric of what's good.
>>
>>160320717
it's a date movie

that's about all it is.
>>
>>160323385
> Taki even wrote "daisuki" instead of his name even though the more rational decision would be to write his name.
> rational
Someone wasn't paying attention. His name and memories would have gotten wiped along with everything else, just like the diary entries.
>>
File: 1442864879193.jpg (131KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
1442864879193.jpg
131KB, 1024x681px
I waited so much for the BD, I'm glad that I managed to watch the movie in its supreme form.
I just don't know what's wrong with the movie, so pretty and mellow; yet shallow and ephemeral, at best I felt it much better than 5cm.
it was the lack of a kissu, wasn't it?
>>
File: 123123123.png (46KB, 1040x868px) Image search: [Google]
123123123.png
46KB, 1040x868px
Still no 4k rip.
It's possible btw, there are a bunch of legit 4k bd rips on private trackers.
See pic related.
>>
>>160320717
Give one good reason why this movie is good without resorting to muh sakuga, muh sales, my waifu, or muh soundtrack.
>hard mode: no muh story
>>
so which torrent is the best? I already downloaded nii-sama's but is there another I should download or are we waiting
>>
>>160338677
Too many plot elements rely on arbitrary contrivances and the ending is your typical hollow Shinkai shit.
>>
>>160321556
First off bait-kun, you're wrong about the characters and story. Anyway, you neglected visuals (which were wonderful), artistic direction, pacing, and other shit like how wonderful the scenes were directed.

There's also key animation, voice acting, audio, etc. But we both know your bait only extends to muh story and muh characters.
>>
>>160321556
I know I'm terribly late, but here are:
>Great animation
>Terrific direction
>Two sympathetic leads with great scenes, specially the body switch ones, but also the climax with the comet and that final scene
>Okudera
And many other reasons.
>>
>>160338916
>visuals
good
>artistic direction
what does this even fucking mean. the art was vivid but generic, it doesn't have an impact or aesthetic like say, ghibli.
>pacing
a filler buzzword, which is funny because the pacing was AWFUL with the awkwardly inserted music videos
>direction
a polished turd delivered at different angles is still a polished turd
>voice acting
only good voice acting was taki who managed to capture a feminine personality, everyone else was run-of-the-mill
>>
>>160320887
/thread
>>
>>160338802
>no visual
>no popularity
>no characters
>no music
>no story
This post is great.
I'll just read this post for about 2 hours instead of watching this movie
>>
>>160339131
>I'll just read this post for about 2 hours instead of watching this movie
I know you jest but you'd probably be better entertained being in this thread than actually watching that pile of trash. You might actually learn more about the movie in this thread than the jumbled direction that happened in this movie, and you might even find something better to watch.
>>
I fixed up that set of improved but desynchronized subs, here it is if anyone's interested. Some parts are still iffy, but it should be somewhat watchable.
https://a.pomf.cat/bidxja.ass
>>
>>160333083
5cm didn't really do anything for me. I understand it, and it's a relatable story, but it's hard to take it seriously. Who gets caught up on a girl from elementary school who they haven't talked to in years? KnNw felt a lot more emotionally heavy because you had two characters who wanted to be together, but actual tragedy was keeping them apart.
>>
File: happy mitsuha.webm (580KB, 700x750px) Image search: [Google]
happy mitsuha.webm
580KB, 700x750px
Should I wait for my bd to arrive or just watch the bd rip
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRfa9TRIt3Q
>>
>>160339339
Watch the rip and proceed to be disappointed, then burn the BD when it arrives.
>>
>>160339415
Salty.
>>
>>160339384
First one is a ripoff but the trip and fall is a stretch
>>
File: 1491749642023.png (28KB, 135x168px) Image search: [Google]
1491749642023.png
28KB, 135x168px
>tfw no gf like mitsuha
>>
>>160340522
You have to be willing to swap bodies and travel in time for her. Can you make that sacrifice?
>>
>>160339077

>artistic direction
I'm really just referring to the general feeling of it. How everything worked together to impact the viewer.
>pacing
I disagree, I think it progresses very cleanly without jumping or stalling especially on rewatching.
>direction
You provided no material worth discussing.
>voice acting
I thought both leads did exceptional, I'll agree the rest is generic.
>>
The movie was way too short, it should have been 1 hour longer and fleshed out things a bit more.

The ok story was overshadowed by the amazing visuals which is why it felt worst than it really was.

Also, 4K BD raw when?
>>
any good copies out yet?
whats a good fansubber to watch out for?
>>
File: 1486639185309.jpg (94KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
1486639185309.jpg
94KB, 601x508px
>>160340522
>tfw no gf
>>
>>160329014
>If story doesn't even try to be believable
Anybody on /a/ complaining about stories not being believable should reconsider their life choices.
>>
>>160340547
of course
>>
>>160336995
Herkz, go out.
>>
>>160338273
Normalfags should stay away from anime.
>>
>>160320717
I thought it was okay. Compared to 5cm a second, this made me smile at the end.
>>
>>160339077
Ghibli along with Miyazaki is way overrated in every aspect.
>>
>>160338852
Only Nii-sama uses a proper fansubs. There are another torrents with Nii-sama subs, you should decide if you want overbloated encode or not. Don't download anything with official subs, unless you are a normalfag and you don't care about losing relationship depth etc.
>>
>>160342988
I still enjoy 5cm more, especially because I can bring all of the feeling of the movie back by listening to the ED (look up the song's context, you'll definitely feel it more).
kimi no na wa to me had much less memorable single moments, even if the overall production and presentation is stellar.
>>
>unhealthy and childish
You're childish, and either Indian or autistic.
>>
>>160342997
That's just your opinion, but I meant that the artistic direction of KnNW isn't distinct. You look at it and see it as another generic anime while you look at a pic of a Ghibli film and recognize it instantly, and this is coming from someone who hasn't even watched a Ghibli film.
>>
>>160321787
LoGH is ass mate, sorry.
>>
>>160321973
Pragmatism is a disease.
>>
>>160322417
>Romanticism has fuck all to do with romance, is my point. Stop conflating the two.
t. high schooler
>>
>>160322821
>story is better than emotion
Fuck off
>>
>>160343158
Makoto Shinkai's style is really fucking easy to pick out.
>>
>>160323385
>muh raisins
Rationality doesn't exist.
>>
My BD says it'll arrive on the 28th(Burger timezone) anyone already get it or getting it earlier?
>>
>>160320717

How Taki ignore that a fucking meteor wipe a entire city TWO YEARS AGO?
>>
>>160343235
Yeah, generic anime wallpaper material. Looks nice, but not very special.
>>
>>160326959
>>160327556
Atheists are absolutely disgusting, wow.
>>
>>160343287
Nice moving the goalposts.
>>
>>160321556

You have this generic boy obsessed with the ghost girl of the other universe (Mitsuha)
For the average people this is "romantic"
>>
>>160343309
>Nice moving the goalposts.
>>160343287
>generic anime wallpaper material. Looks nice, but not very special.
>>160343158
>I meant that the artistic direction of KnNW isn't distinct. You look at it and see it as another generic anime
>>
>>160343356
Do you know what distinct means?

Makoto Shinkai's work is distinct because it's easy to recognise.
>>
>>160343283
He switched timelines maybe
>>
File: 1411077589293.jpg (73KB, 454x454px) Image search: [Google]
1411077589293.jpg
73KB, 454x454px
>>160320717
Dude I just like movies where people push through bullshit to get a happy ending. The humor sprinkled in, the visuals, the theme, and the great music just added to their struggle.

I guarantee you Your Name/Kimi no na wa wouldn't be anywhere as popular if the movie ended on a sour note or was a bad end.
>>
>>160322726
Nii-sama was so shit it ruined the movie for me
>>
>>160333083
What ruined it for me is the fact that they fell in love through body swapping, it just didnt make sense to me.
>>
>>160320717
I think you have shit taste.
>>
>>160320717
There are hundreds if not thousands of movies with the same theme, and they aren't all popular, so seems unlikely that that is the sole explanation.

I did think Kimi no Na wa was considerably better than his previous films, but I thought his previous films were garbage, so that's not saying much.

As far as I can tell, the popularity of it has a lot to do with how Shinkai has somehow garnered the reputation for being the next Miyazaki. How he ended up being pegged for that I have no idea, I can only surmise that since Miyazaki retired and Kon is dead and there's nobody else the baton just had to get passed to somebody.
>>
>>160343921
Shinkai reminds me of an Eastern Terrence Malick
>>
File: 1492097774854.jpg (59KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
1492097774854.jpg
59KB, 900x506px
>>160320887
fpbp
>>
>>
>>160344301
20-year old Mitsuha is cute, but I still prefer the interaction with 25-year old Mitsuha because of the subtlety of will-they-won't-they, as well as that notion of the loss in time that she waited 8 years for this moment. "No instant gratification", as a previous anon stated.
>>
who were the lucky ones to cum in mitsuha in that 8 year time period?
>>
kima no na wa vs la la land
who win?
>>
>>160344450
No one.

>>160344403
I agree with that no instant gratification idea, but still, this is the rarest Mitsuha and I have her in 1080p. Freshly ripped.
>>
>>160344491
La la land.. that shit is waaay ahead of its time while Kimi no na wa is like Steins gate and Memento had a retard baby
>>
>>160344513
>No one.

but what if.. she uhhmm.. yknow
>>
someone do a screenshot comparison for SUCC vs okay
>>
>zenzenzense insert without all the monologue, just everything else including sound effects
I didn't know how much I wanted this.
>>
File: _THE0047.jpg (2MB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
_THE0047.jpg
2MB, 2400x1600px
For reference.
>>
File: _THE0048.jpg (1MB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
_THE0048.jpg
1MB, 2400x1600px
Book of rarest info.
>>
File: _THE0049.jpg (1MB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
_THE0049.jpg
1MB, 2400x1600px
Stickers and advertising junk.
>>
File: 1168668_1200.jpg (169KB, 1200x676px) Image search: [Google]
1168668_1200.jpg
169KB, 1200x676px
>>160344693
MITSUHA IS PURE
>>
File: _THE0050.jpg (2MB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
_THE0050.jpg
2MB, 2400x1600px
Postcards and bookmark.
>>
File: _THE0051.jpg (460KB, 1600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
_THE0051.jpg
460KB, 1600x2400px
Bookmark.
>>
File: _THE0055.jpg (1021KB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
_THE0055.jpg
1021KB, 2400x1600px
Not entirely sure what the purpose of this is but it is an A4 size frame which a high resolution print apparently.
>>
>>160344811
Not bad anon.

>>160344831
My god that's lovely.
>>
>>160320717
so this movie basically keit-ai plot?
>>
>>160344907
No at all.
>>
>>160344777
omedetou on the bd
>>
The ZenZenZenSe insert without the characters monologuing over top of it is absolutely hilarious and I wish you guys could see it.
>>
>>160320717
Thanks to the Copenhagen Interpretation, we have no free will, which implies that all causality is willed by an external omnipresent entitity
>>
ai-chan spoiled the ending for me
>>
>>160344783
Not after what Taki did to her body.
>>
>>160343633
Care to elaborate? Or you are just another cartefag?
>>
File: Kiminonawasubs.png (408KB, 931x340px) Image search: [Google]
Kiminonawasubs.png
408KB, 931x340px
>>160345510
5 minutes in and I gave up.
>>
>>160345666
That's why v3 exist? It's only natural that small group which released their subs in 1 day after bd release will contain some small errors. I watched with v3 and I didn't spot any errors.
>>
>>160345666
I'm pretty sure he rush OCRed it.
>>
>>
>>
Still the visual top dog
>>
>>160344777
Need that creditless Sparkle
>>
>>160346081
There's a creditless Sparkle amongst this?
>>
>>160345928
This is personally what I find to be the most beautiful shot of Mitsuha by far. Definitely doesn't belong in the film, but photography-wise this shot is just elegant in every way.
>>
>>160346099
Yes, it should be in one of those BDs.
>>
>>160346079
Honestly, no.
5cm has a bit of a different visual style, and it is great, but Kimi no Na wa has better visuals over all.
>>
>>160346111
Are you thinking of the music video version? The one that is on Youtube but in DVD rip form?
>>
>>160345721
>Small errors
It looks like an illiterate spic translated it by typing what he thought he was hearing into Google.
>>
>>160346134
Quick google search says it should be in disc 2, and I messed up. It's actually a creditless Dream Lantern which is still nice.
>>
>>160346167
Ah, I haven't ripped disc 2 yet. Started with 3, ripping 1 now, 2 later, after I watch the movie again probably.

I kinda want to upload the BD version of Sparkle MV and the special Zenzenzense but being in Japan I definitely don't want to attract any attention to myself.
>>
>>160346215
It's ok anon. Beatrice-Raws just uploaded everything, might check it out later.
>>
>>160320717
I agree, and it's definitely one of the reasons why it was a hit in Japan, and outside the buzz about "the best movie evar" just swept everyone up. your point didn't ruin the movie for me though, and I still think it was a good animu film, but certainly nowhere near the works of any of the anime masters.
>>
>>160346253
The Zenzenzense thing is about 400MB on disc 3. Download that first for laughs.
>>
>>160346267
Actually this should be it
>[Beatrice-Raws] Kimi no Na wa (Opening) [BDRip 1920x1080 x264 FLAC].mkv (239.4 MiB)
>>
>>160339318
>Who gets caught up on a girl from elementary school who they haven't talked to in years?
Lots of people do actually, which is why some people loved 5cm. Haven't you seen all those drunk old men prattle on about their first loves?
>>
>>160346267
Why was it funny?
>>
>>160347395
Because there is some dialog and sound effects that aren't in the movie for parts of it.

Also,
>those people talking english when !Taki walks out of shinguku station
>>
>Personally I think this level of romanticism is unhealthy and childish and it tarnished my opinion of the movie.
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>160347477
Isn't that the opposite of r9k though? They seem like the type to eat this kind of stuff up
>>
>>160320717
I prefer my fiction idealized.
>>
I cried buckets.

Not really, but it was still beautiful to finally see it in HD.
>>
>>160346148
No, it's just a small error of OCR software.
>>
A few thoughts though.

In scenes where the focus isn't a character (portrait type close ups) there are still some serious cases of no-face going on, which, considering they are present at 1080 can only be worse at 4k.

Mitsuha's VA narrating that guy (Kamiki) searching for the places of scenes from Shinkai's works is wonderful. She is totally in character.
>>
>>160331430
Brutal.
>>
>>160324144
That's why humans suck and machines are superior
>>
>>160338882
At least this time had some sort of resolve with both MCs actually chasing each other and talking.
We've come a long way that's for sure.
>>
>>160338787
>Audio
>Spanish
wat
>>
Oh right, and people don't seem to mention how Mitsuha first goes for her tits when she wakes up in Taki's body the first time (after throat because voice is strange) AND when she wakes up in his body in the cave.

Really can't blame Taki for grabbing them.
>>
>>160320717
Same reason why garbage like Keyshit, Shigatsu and Anohana are considered masterpieces by plebs: it made me cry so it must be great. Some people are that simple.
>>
I loved the twist after they got the generic Freaky Friday shit out of the way, but the cheery music spoils the mood too often.

There should be way more dread in some of those scenes. It's like they're on autopilot instead of characters making decisions when there's a lyrical song in the background.
>>
I can't help but think this is supposed to be New Zealand.

The comet is over the horizon, it was traveling East to West across the sky so the location must be further East than Japan, its October so the days in the Southern Hemisphere are longer than in the Northern.

And sheep.
>>
Subs when
>>
Is this any good, lads?

https://nyaa.si/view/942822
>>
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on earth hate this movie. Then again I already hate 21st century.
>>
>>160349891
The official ones were decent enough.

>>160349936
Ohys raws is slightly bigger, you can dig subs out of the archive for it.
>>
>>160349986
>The official ones were decent enough.
Agreed. The official subs aren't as bad as people make out. It's just that, as usual, the official subs don't do things like keep honorifics and substitute calling people by their surnames with their first names.
It's what you should expect from official subs. Doesn't ruin the movie.
>>
>>160350744
>Doesn't ruin the movie.
Nor normalfags obviously not.
But right, I've seen a lot worse subs.
It's better to use delocalized fansubs anyway.
>>
>>160349502
Fuck off from Key. I agree with Shigatsu and Anohana though.
>>
>>160349986
>>160350744
Worst thing about the official subs (assuming they're the same as the ones used in the theatrical release) was the lack of an attempt at translating the female pronoun joke. It also felt unprofessional all across, but yeah, overall it was plenty coherent enough to not really get in the way of the movie.
>>
>>160351311
I honestly don't know what would be a good way to handle the pronoun joke.

English just doesn't have four ways of saying I. The thing is that she doesn't even use a feminine form (even though the sub says feminine after watashi), watashi is genderless, watakushi is just even more formal generless, and then you have the two masculine forms.

It's something that was going to be clunky, no matter what, I think.
>>
The movie should've been 20 minutes shorter desu
>>
This could have been a decent movie if it weren't for all the bullshit plot convenient events. Taki forgetting itoomori disaster, not noticing the date, the whole braided cord thing Mitsuha suddenly decided to throw at Taki at the last second, and the twilight on the mountain crap.
>>
>>160321840
Imagine being so cross-eyed and blind to little details and not see the numerous plot-holes the movie is filled with.
>>
>>160351620
I will say though that the shot of that meteor coming down was really fucking cool, even though a meteor of that size would have decimated much, much more than half a little town.
>>
File: DCjShv-VYAEJTyl.jpg (115KB, 1200x447px) Image search: [Google]
DCjShv-VYAEJTyl.jpg
115KB, 1200x447px
>>160320717
>>
>>160349891
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
>>
>>160351765
Stop using decimated wrong.

But I agree with you. If it made that size crater then there is no way they would have been okay at the high school.

For example, that meteor that exploded over Russia a few years back broke windows hundreds of kilometers away.

Now this comet was probably much smaller than that but we are talking the just being within a few km of the crater radius.

They would have needed to be in underground bunkers probably.

>>160351620
>>160351620
>Taki forgetting itoomori disaster
God's trial.

>not noticing the date
Memories of what happened in the dream weren't perfect, but you have a moderate point.

>the whole braided cord thing Mitsuha suddenly decided to throw at Taki at the last second
Oh come on, why is that a plot convenience? A character deciding to do something in the heat of the moment is unbelievable?

>and the twilight on the mountain crap.
That was foreshadowed in the show itself in class and when Grandma called the top of the mountain the underworld.
>>
>>160351829
>>160351882
Wow, it's like not Kimi no Na wa at all.

I guess it's time to stop posting.
>>
Why is a shitposting-free Kimi No Na Wa thread is so hard to come by?
>>
File: 1481866171676.jpg (87KB, 564x844px) Image search: [Google]
1481866171676.jpg
87KB, 564x844px
>>160351829
A boy falls and wakes up as a girl.

Unable to talk, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the girl's body. Never minding the strange situation, he immediately tries to make her life better, and is overjoyed to find out that she has as well.

But, the next day, when he tries to remember the girl, she only shouts at him in the deepest corner of his mind. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he was lived in a town destroyed by a comet. In fact, she died in the disaster three years ago. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own three years in the future self, whose three year ago self is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to perform a terrorist attack in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to save the girl's life and hometown. While the two chase this ultimate goal, AMNESIA ensues as they begin to forget they fell in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

But some day in the future, they don't each other in the streets of Tokyo, and ask each other a question...

Kimi no Na wa?
>>
>>160351311
You are an idiot. Thanks God that they left it in this way.
>>
>>160351439
>I honestly don't know what would be a good way to handle the pronoun joke.
I think the point was more about Taki's friends noticing something odd about the way Taki(Mitsuha) spoke than anything about gendered pronouns.

If you somehow get that across by setting up character-specific speaking patterns or something early in the movie, then it would be good as far as I'm concerned.

I could see it be done decently with a dub, where there's more wiggle room fpr messing with the dialogue (I hear in the dub Taki(Mitsuha) said something in the lines of "a girl like me", though, which sounds rather awkward). With subs, though, yeah, it'd definitely be much trickier, since there's more of an obligation to be faithful on a line-by-line basis.

>>160352004
Is there anything popular that doesn't attract shitposters?
>>
>>160351829
>>160352054
Already a thing.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
http://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit%E6%84%9B-%E5%A5%89%E6%96%87-x-%E8%81%96%E5%AD%90
>>
>>160351975
>Stop using decimated wrong.
Oh shit you're right. Didn't know decimate was a percentage kind of thing.
>God's trial.
When was this? I don't think it was central to the plot other than for Taki to conveniently forgot the disaster.
>Oh come on, why is that a plot convenience?
For one, she is in the heat of the moment so she wouldn't be thinking about undoing her hair and throwing it in the vague hope that he would take it. It doesn't really make sense for her to make that decision other than plot convenience.
Like, why the braided cord? It serves no personal significance for both Taki and Mitsuha and it was really only there to symbolize their "connection".
>foreshadowed
Namedropping isn't proper foreshadowing. There was zero world building around the nature of the twilight stuff or anything so it still feels really out of place.
>>
If I get this correctly, Shinkai did like almost all the voice parts for this.
>>
>>160352269
>I could see it be done decently with a dub
Done decently = butchered shit for you. Welcome cartelfag.
>>
Is anyone releasing re-encodes of the extra/bonus material?
>>
File: 1469711620292.gif (808KB, 328x268px) Image search: [Google]
1469711620292.gif
808KB, 328x268px
>>160351829
>>
File: Velma_calls_Shaggy.jpg (48KB, 720x406px) Image search: [Google]
Velma_calls_Shaggy.jpg
48KB, 720x406px
>>160351829
>>160352054
Shaggy Dramatically Reads Keit-Ai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHfyLv6t5to
>>
>>160352297
>When was this? I don't think it was central to the plot other than for Taki to conveniently forgot the disaster.
Taki forgot about the disaster, started forgetting about her, messages deleted.
You could even go back to the bodyswapping itself being a setup for the trial, would he be invested enough to try to find the truth? Would he go to the lengths required to try and save the village?

Gods usually aren't portrayed as totally benevolent beings in media. They don't give away shit for free. If Musubi's goal was to save the village then obviously there would have been simpler ways to accomplish it but gods are pretty much never like that.
>>
>>160352351
Already out
>>160346253
>>160346303
>>
File: 1233276452871.jpg (67KB, 604x422px) Image search: [Google]
1233276452871.jpg
67KB, 604x422px
>>160352054
>>
>>160352297
>Like, why the braided cord?
Maybe she wanted to give him something to remember her, being pushed through the crowd she quickly thought of her cord.

I mean, in terms of plot conveniences it is pretty low down there in comparison with basically any other movie.
>>
>>160352054

Threadly reminder that it has been made into a wiki, a fanfic, a fictionpress story, a manga, a meme, a TV tropes entry, an anime preview, an anime episode, an honest-to-goodness anime movie that's Oscar considered, and a critically acclaimed box office success that's the highest grossing anime film of all time and approved by Shinzo Abe and Cool Japan, so stop talking about it.

http://keitai-project.wikia.com/wiki/Keit-Ai_Project_Wiki
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7950479/1/Cellphones
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3206139
http://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4xGqY5IDBE
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32281/Kimi_no_Na_wa
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/11/08/kimi-no-na-wa-makes-oscar-consideration-list-for-best-animated-feature/
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-28/your-name-anime-film-earns-19.4-billion-yen-to-surpass-princess-mononoke/.109255
https://www.madman.com.au/news/your-name-wins-best-animated-film-at-the-los-angeles-critics-awards/
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-17/shinkai-your-name-becomes-no.1-japanese-film-in-china-of-all-time/.110044
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-19/shinkai-your-name-becomes-no.1-japanese-film-in-thailand-of-all-time/.110097
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-06/shinkai-your-name-film-opens-at-no.1-in-s-korea/.110606
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-05/shinkai-your-name-jumps-41-percent-in-box-office-from-last-weekend/.110671
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_anime_films
http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/01/16/kimi-no-na-wa-becomes-highest-grossing-anime-film-ever/
http://animetourism.lab-kadokawa.com/
>>
>>
File: 1446673701709.gif (115KB, 258x334px) Image search: [Google]
1446673701709.gif
115KB, 258x334px
>tfw Shinkai is a fellow Yamadabro
https://twitter.com/shinkaimakoto/status/870484765358514176
Shinkai is a pretty cool guy
>>
>>160347548
>They seem like the type to eat this kind of stuff up

r9k are not lonely people.
They are lonely people, who above all else detest intimacy.
It's the people who blame 50% of the human race for everything wrong.
>>
>>160352537
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_string_of_fate
>>
Wait a second, now I have to check the film again.
>>
>>160352663
That's the symbolism, yeah.
>>
Looking kinda cool there Mitsuha.
>>
>>
>>160343158
I bet you will say Mary and the Witch's Flower is a Ghibli movie.
>>
>still no 4k rip
>>
>>160349121
>In scenes where the focus isn't a character (portrait type close ups) there are still some serious cases of no-face going on, which, considering they are present at 1080 can only be worse at 4k.

What anime doesn't have that?
>>
>>160353096
I'm not sure my computer could even handle a 4k rip. Maybe it's time to upgrade.
>>
>>160353134
Basically none, but this is being released in 4k so I had some hope that they would use higher resolution for that and scale it down so at least some detail was retained instead of it just being blank.

It's pretty much forgivable when you know they're working with 720 mastering. Once they're mastering above that then they're not making use of what they have available.
>>
That looks way more intimate than it should be.

And having Shinkai doing both their voices is hilarious.
>>
The movie topped Spirited Away for first day rentals who held the record.
http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2094791/full/
>>
>>160353450
People still rent movies?
>>
>>160353549
Yeah, rental is still a big thing in Japan.

I often go to rent anime DVDs. Back in Fukushima it cost me 50yen per disc for a week, here in Higashimatsushima its 100yen per.
>>
>>160353096
Might never happend, as it looks like AACS 2.0 can only be broken with a private exploit. The best we can hope for is capture cards...
>>
>>160353549
Netflix is basically the same thing.
Slightly less of a hassle but at the cost of the endless legal shenanigans and choking your internet connection (good quality)/getting shit quality.
These people already have BR players, rental stores are a better alternative than waiting for Netflix to sort out licensing and shit, uploading it and then having to watch a pretty bad stream.
>>
File: 1464382365755.jpg (99KB, 403x444px) Image search: [Google]
1464382365755.jpg
99KB, 403x444px
As anime pro I was so skeptical about this. I should apologize for shitting in some threads. This is best Shinkai movie. At minimum first Shinkai movie that doesn't suck
>>
File: 1492219466899.png (106KB, 330x321px) Image search: [Google]
1492219466899.png
106KB, 330x321px
>>160353904
What drives someone to shitpost in a thread about something they haven't even seen?
>>
>>160352681
>Remember Milk

What?
>>
>>160353973
Spoilers, previous Shinkai works, critique from people like Otaking.
>>
>>160354030
It's not in the final scene either!

Was Shinkai just out of milk when he was drawing it up?
>>
>>160353904
Funny, I went in expecting something different but all I got was normal, boring Shinkai and was sorely disappointed.
>>
I love this. Scenes like this that are actual locations just done over top of photos from the locations.
>>
>these credits
>>
File: kumihimo.png (242KB, 1031x501px) Image search: [Google]
kumihimo.png
242KB, 1031x501px
Get your very own kumihimo, only 12,000yen.

The closest you will get to ever having a gf like Mitsuha.
>>
>>160355766
>12,000 yen

Jesus.
>>
>>160355794
I hear they are hand woven by Mitsuha and Hitoha's VAs.
>>
Any scenery porn wallpapers?
>>
>>160356270
>>>/r/
>>>/e/
>>
>>160329884
I can't fault you for this reasoning even though I personally thought the movie was trash

I'm not OP either
>>
>>160320717

I think you're mistaking the message that there is life-altering value in finding somebody who is a soulmate for the assumption that a soulmate exists and WILL be found. The difference is important. With that said, narrative contrivance (time travel and body swapping) is still required to convey that message, and if one can't get past that, it leaves a very bad taste. For my part, one of the reasons I adore the movie is precisely because it WAS able to get me past both time travel and body swapping--two devices I usually completely hate. And it did so convincingly.

In any case, I do agree that romanticism is essential to the movie. But not quite in the way most tend to talk about it, I think. Instead, it's my belief that the very end of the movie, when Mitsuha and Taki see and find each other, recognizes that true love is capital 'R' Romantic, and has a transcendental effect on one's life--which is what I was saying above. Needless to say, in real life it isn't imbued with all the dramatic mysticism that is on full display in the movie. But movies (and art in general) are allowed to do dramatic, mystical things in service to more grounded concepts. Your Name succeeds tremendously at that.

>and that that someone will love you unconditionally and accept everything about you
This particular criticism simply isn't borne out in the story. Much comedy is made of Mitsuha and Taki butting heads over each other's differences.
>>
>>160332232
>no
liar. that's clearly a shitty waifu upscale. it looks horrible. kys my man.
>>
>>160355766
50cents worth of string, $120.
this is the power of marketing and animu fanboydom.
>>
Help
I can't watch that movie without pausing and screaming like a little girl every 10 seconds because of awkward situations.
Especially during Mitsuha as Taki in Tokyo.
>>
>>160359841

Relax, take it easy.
>>
>>160360063
It doesn't help.
I empathise to much with characters so it hurts.
Or maybe I'm autistic at some point
>>
What kind of media player does one use on Windows nowadays? Apparently MPC is dead and won't get updated.
>>
>>160360667
>Apparently MPC is dead and won't get updated.
And? Who needs updates for media player?
>>
>>160360613

>Or maybe I'm autistic at some point
I decided against mentioning it, but yes.

It's okay though, I empathize (with you I mean, but also the characters).
>>
>>160360808

Because mine doesn't show subs properly, while stuff like MPV does. MPV is just a bit too minimalist for me I guess.
>>
>>160360667
VLC
>>
>>160361053
I'm still at 20 minute of movie
It's going to be a long ride
>>
>>160361706

kek, good luck anon. I think you'll be better off by the end.
>>
>>160361706
I hope you haven't been spoiled yet if it's your first time.
>>
>>160362074
I hope so. Thank you anon
>>160362197
I haven't been spoiled so I can enjoy it fully.
>>
22 minute now
>>
>>160360667
Kodi.
>>
>>160360667
https://mpc-hc.org/changelog/
Last update was 11 days ago?
>>
>>160362459

Jeez.
>>
>>160321556
What about great directing for once?
>>
>>160351620
>not noticing the date
I just took the as the brain ignoring minor discrepancies. You know how in a simple sentence you can sometimes leave out a word, or switch the place of 2 words, and when someone reads it they read it normally, ignoring the tiny mistake without even realizing it. Something like that, I thought.
>>
>>160363310
They don't have anyone to continue updating it, so it is dead unless someone else steps in.
>>
>>160321556
If you're genuinely curious then you would read many professional critic's opinion of the movie and why they like it. Rotten Tomato, YouTube, and many other review sites with very in depth detailed reviews but no, instead you're asking fucking /a/ out of all places why it's good.
>>
>>160351620

>Taki forgetting itoomori disaster
In practice, it's more that he forgot where the disaster happened. That's highly believable, particularly seeing as he was in contact with and experiencing the life of somebody from there contemporaneously (or so he thought).

>not noticing the date
Did you?

>the whole braided cord thing Mitsuha suddenly decided to throw at Taki at the last second, and the twilight on the mountain crap.
I don't see how you think the movie could have been decent if you reject fundamental plot points, but ok.
>>
>>160351311

>It also felt unprofessional all across
No it didn't.
>>
>>160364606
don't reply to cartelfags.
>>
Are [okay] and [Nii-sama] cartel too?
>>
>>160320717
I just finished the movie and I'm glad that I didn't get spoiled beforehand. The romance played a large part in why I liked it as much as I did. I also enjoyed the setting. Places like Itomori seem so far away from my current life. I also enjoyed the visuals of the movie. I paused many times to look at the backgrounds.
>>
>>160364996
[okay] uses older version of nii-sama subs. No, nii-sama is a total opposite to cartel.
>>
>>160363358
You were right anon
The further time passed then less pain to watch it was. Now after watching it I'm a bit sad.
>>
>>160365066
The movie was definitely leaning towards the rural side of Japan without being too obnoxious about it. The way that the town is set up to be inferior development-wise compared to Tokyo, yet the people and traditions are much too precious for both the city boy and the village girl. Really inspires me to take more natural tours if I ever go to Japan.
>>
>>160366487
>Really inspires me to take more natural tours if I ever go to Japan.
I'd like to do that too someday.
>>
>>160367035
I want to experience comiket and then many small villages. Like the model town of Hinamizawa, the model town for Non non biyori or this town from kimi no na wa.
>>
>>160367660
I have some research to do about this movie's setting. I'm not sure what the town Itomori is based off of. I too have a long list of places from anime I'd like to visit.
>>
>>160366357

Hey, that's good though! I'm happy for you.
>>
File: 200%crazy.jpg (42KB, 417x480px) Image search: [Google]
200%crazy.jpg
42KB, 417x480px
>>160320717

I don't want to be a dick, so I won't call you an autist, but I seriously think that you missed the point.

Nobody thinks that they will suddenly swap bodies with a cute village girl / cute city boy, save a village together, and get a happy ending. Its theme is the bonds that tie.
>>
Can somebody tell me what the fuck the "cartel" is supposed to be?

Also, what happened to the anon that was going to use the "nyaa" subs for a "2nd version" after his first BD encode?
>>
>>160370114
Commie has done more damage to fan-subbing than all other groups combined. They and their fans are nothing but cancer. Exactly like their leader Hitler-like Herkz. Bunch of normalfags with high ego. They thinks the they are funny because of memes in their subs and everything localized for burger brained retards.
They are accusing smaller groups which are doing really good work with more direct translations.
How can you spot them? Their main accuse is 'weeb' / 'weeaboo' word (which was invented by shitty murican brats). When you see anyone who is complaining about honorifics left in, then you can be 95% sure that you just met a cartel member.
>>
>>160330866
Where do I find [okay], and will he make everything /okay/?
>>
>>160331430
>this stomach-curdling cow manure
I will never trust succ again
>>
>>160370680
I doubt that anyone will do a better work than Nii-sama with v4 sub version. You can wait for commie and enjoy totally butchered subs for retards (in this case, just watch official subs, it wasn't that bad, especially if you compare it with commie culture washed shit).
>>
File: smugasslucina.png (657KB, 1000x891px) Image search: [Google]
smugasslucina.png
657KB, 1000x891px
>>160337963
I guess that Evangelion, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and Naruto are shit, then.
>>
>>160364534
>youtube reviews
Remove yourself from life.
>>
File: alrightcat.jpg (31KB, 628x676px) Image search: [Google]
alrightcat.jpg
31KB, 628x676px
>>160338802
Musubi
>>
File: justrighthedgehog.jpg (126KB, 676x1024px) Image search: [Google]
justrighthedgehog.jpg
126KB, 676x1024px
>>160340522
Senpai, there's probably another girl who is even more suited for you. Mitsuha is great, mind, but just because a person's great doesn't mean that they're the best one for you. Especially since fictional characters tend to be idealized to an extent. (Not to say that Mitsuha and Taki are bad characters, mind.) Find yourself a good woman who is also real.

Best of luck. I root for you.
>>
>>160371165
>Find yourself a good woman who is also real.
>who is also real.
This is very bad advice.
>>
>>160343283
Tokyo is a busy, bustling place. Unless he watches the news regularly (which we see no indication of), he likely didn't see anything about it for the one or two days that it got covered, and I doubt that the average high school boys are going to talk a big storm about important stuff when they could be talking about sports or chicks. (Or dicks, if you're his bespectacled dark-haired friend.)
>>
>>160360667
>needing updates for something that works flawlessly
normie retard
>>
>>160343491
Well, it would have made sense.
I don't mind a sad ending, if it made sense. I would have been super fucking sad if they didn't get their second chance meeting, but it would have made sense.
Now, BULLSHITTING your way to a bad ending, on the other hand, is unforgivable.
>>
>>160370538
You know the term "weeaboo" started here, right? Amazing, I know.
>>
>>160344301
What on Earth is this? Fanart?
>>
>>160331430
>being this bad
howtomakewebmfordummies
>>
>>160344831
WHERE DO I GET THIS
>>
>>160345928
DO WE HAVE SOLO TAKI PICS REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>160320717
Isn't the term "romanticism" used for more complex literary/art movements? Or am I just mistaken?
>>
>>160371691
It's not really that complex but yes, you are correct.
>>
>>160371396

The nii-san subs are the only ones not actually applying typesetting properly out of any subs I've tried over the last 6 years, so I just figured the did something new. I didn't update my MPC since 2015 or something. But nope, only MPC having troubles, no other players.
>>
>>160352303
What's this?
>>
File: deletthismew.jpg (10KB, 403x392px) Image search: [Google]
deletthismew.jpg
10KB, 403x392px
>>160352640
Cool guys don't cheat on their wives. He's very talented, though, I'll give him that.
>>
>>160372272
Bonus disc that came with the bluray set I think.
>>
>>160371581
You go back in time and preorder on Amazon.jp, or you hunt around second hand places in vain hope.

>>160371442
It is from the Sparkle MV, maybe it was an early draft or something, I dunno, but it's 20yo Mitsuha.

>>160371637
Taki pics aren't all that special though.

>>160372272
It's the storyboard. On one of the bonus BDs they have the whole storyboard setup as for the whole movie with all the music and sound affects overlaid and I think Shinkai does the majority of the dialogue himself.
>>
>>160372556
>Taki pics aren't all that special though.
I don't really mind if they're not special. I like 'im, he's cute, and solo Taki pictures to balance out my solo Mitsuha pictures would be great.
>>
How about some !Mitsuha.
>>
>>160372758
Oh woops, he has no face.
>>
>>160346253
beatrice or moozzie2?
>>
Okay, okay. This is some solo Taki.
>>
Is there a sub that subbed Nandemonaiya? I'm translating it into Finnish but I don't want to do the timing myself.
>>
File: geekingoutrobin.png (189KB, 500x515px) Image search: [Google]
geekingoutrobin.png
189KB, 500x515px
>>160372802
Bless you, anon. If you come across anymore, your boy will heap more thanks on your head.
>>
>>160373049
Come on Anon, timing isn't hard.
>>
So let's say that I'm content with shit subs as long as I can watch it on my TV and have a physical copy. Is it too late to purchase a DVD?
>>
>>160373393
do a colab. he'll translate then you time it?
>>
I like the way the movie version of Nandemonaiya goes into the original version.
>>
>>160373438
If I don't have the same video he has then I could time it all wrong.
>>
>>160320717
>I was wondering why it got so popular in the first place.
Timing.
Marketing.
Distribution.
Publicity.
L.C.D. subject matter.
Luck.

All the usual reasons something gets popular.
>>
>>160373393
Well, it's not hard, but why would I spend my time on it if someone else already did?
>>
>>160373416
>Is it too late to purchase a DVD?
Why would it be too late?
>DVD
End yourself.
>>
Mitsuha is not even that cute desu
Her character design is extremely forgettable, her personality even more so
>>
>>160373538
Apparently some people call BDs DVDs for whatever reason. I just hope he's one of those guys.
>>
>>160373552
Look what you did, faggot, you made her cry.
>>
>>160370114
A cartel of people from commie who crawled up in positions and ensured their cancer subs would get branded "best subs" by the nyaa, site-goers eat the shit up and donate to them.
When they pull bullshit they never face consequences because they became mods.
With nyaa dead they took the chance and made their own "substitute" called nyaa.si
>>
>>160373843
Meant to write "the site" but changed site to "nyaa" forgetting to delete "the"
>>
>>160337802
>Already explained as supernatural forces fucking with their memories
I interpreted it as a general inability to remember details after a dream
>>
For anyone waiting for my [okay] v2, I only have the first 20 minutes left to typeset. Should be out today.
>>
Shinkai will probably just fall into a deep depression now that it's become clear that nothing he could ever do will be as popular or as touching as Kimi no Na wa.
>>
>>160374003
Right on the money
>>
>>160374003
You're right. He's also starting to get heat for >>160339384
>>
>>160374003
His next movie will be about a man cheating on his wife and subsequently trying to fix his failing marriage.
>>
>>160374073
I don't have the context for this. Couldn't Shinkai just get away by saying that it was a homage to something he likes?
>>
>>160373894
Well it's a good thing you corrected that, the mistake totally changed the meaning of the original post.
>>
>>160339384
This will get shitposted on every Kimi No Na Wa thread from now on, wouldn't it?
>>
>>160373926
>I interpreted it as a general inability to remember details after a dream
That's part of it, but Taki really should have remembered Itomori being blown up by the comet.
The LN gives you more internal monologue at the point he finds out and he mentions it is even in the school curriculum now and wonders how he could have forgotten it.

There's another thing which is a little bit of a mystery. On day he takes the kuchikamizake up the mountain Yotsuha says "i wonder if we will be able to see the comet", Hitoha then says "oya, Mitsuha you're dreaming aren't you" and then it cuts directly to Taki waking up (as if from a bad dream) with tears in his eyes. Both the movie and the LN cut in the same way.

Sleeping still triggered the bodyswap at that point, so what did he see? Did he remember at that point and lose it after swapping back?
>>
>>160374195
>Couldn't Shinkai just get away by saying that it was a homage to something he likes?
Yeah but reading the comments, the nips are really assblasted
>is it really paying homage if it's taking the exact same angles and also from a film most people haven't watched? It's more likely to be plagiarism.
>>
>>160374164
I want this to be real. I also want there to be a scene where, after divorcing his wife, the man breaks down in some public space while snowflakes have just begun to fall. Then, if you look at the background you can see the MC from Garden of Words and the teacher walking together, followed by Taki and Mitsuha, until finally there is an older man walking alone just looking at the couples - the MC from 5cm.
>>
File: wew 2.png (555KB, 856x724px) Image search: [Google]
wew 2.png
555KB, 856x724px
>>160374207
Low quality grammar makes your post look less trustworthy
>>
>>160374323
Wew
>>
>>160374073
What's plagiarism and what is a reference to another work?

They didn't take any of the artwork, they didn't take any of the animation, they just structured those scenes of her running down the bank, between the buildings and along the road by the lake like the other movie and its about 30 seconds of the movie.

Tripping and falling has been done in many things. The girl who leapt through time wasn't the first and Kimi no Na wa won't be the last.
>>
File: heard u talkin shit.webm (800KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
heard u talkin shit.webm
800KB, 1080x1080px
>>160373552
>Her character design is extremely forgettable
>>
>>160321202
You should show yourself out, tripfag.
>>
>>160374323
>until finally there is an older man walking alone just looking at the couples - the MC from 5cm.
He ended up with his kouhai from high school though.
>>
>>160374386
>>160374382
>wew
>>
>>160374542
Was that in the manga? I don't remember seeing that in the movie. I would rather he stayed alone forever
>>
>>160374482
The nips are sperging out over this. Apparently it's a war between Ghibli fans/anti-Shinkai and those who enjoyed the movie or are indifferent and more objective. Apparently someone who worked on the movie in question actually tweeted about it and said "that's it?" and that it wasn't a big deal. The first one is very similar but I agree on the tripping, it's not something exclusive to Toki Kakeru Shoujo.
>>
File: 1501177976449.jpg (33KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1501177976449.jpg
33KB, 512x512px
Finally watched the movie. It was pretty okay.
>>
>>160374780
OCEAN MAN
>>
>>160374723
>Ghibli fans sperging

Must be painful to see your favorite studio shutting down.
>>
>>160374723
If /a/ is anything to go by some people are always going to sperg out over things, that doesn't mean the majority give a fuck.
>>
>>160374723
Well, I mean I didn't react any different. It was a pretty gorgeous and overall decent movie, but I don't understand the hype around it. Personally, I liked 5 cm per second much more
>>
File: 1494878312938.png (325KB, 422x327px) Image search: [Google]
1494878312938.png
325KB, 422x327px
We conveniently forget about the after-meeting.
The fights and the ugly days.
The melancholy you may feel comes from the fact that you will never have a thrilling, fulfilling relationship.
>>
>>160375038
That's probably because 5cm is more true to Shinkai on some level. I feel like he included a happy ending in Kimi no Na wa just becasue he wanted the movie to have a larger appeal, but he doesn't buy it himself. Shinkai must be a melancholic man who can't fake happiness and that shows.
>>
>>160370992
Evangelion was actually well written and thoroughly explained, you're right about the other two though.
>>
>>160375160
Yeah, I liked that 5cm didn't conclude with a happy end. I am a sucker for stories where the protagonists were friends for a time important for both of them but eventually lost memories about each other and only sometimes feel some kind of lingering, warm reminiscence while they go living their lives seperately from each other. Kinda like It from Stephen King ended. I wished Your Name had such an ending as well.
>>
>>160375038
>>160375160
It really did feel like a pure marketing movie. A mediocre script and story propped up by expensive OSTs and art and a very large marketing budget pushing this movie up your ass at every chance possible. 5cmps definitely felt way more personal and emotional, and I didn't even really care for that movie. I really should rewatch it sometime.
>>
>>160375388
Yeah Kimi no Nawa is absolute dogshit, a telltale example of Ad Populum fallacy.
>It's good because it's the best selling movie of the year and a lot of people like it!!!
wrong.
>>
File: mitsuha.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mitsuha.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>160373552
you are out of your mind
>>
File: Milleniuma Actress 1.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Milleniuma Actress 1.webm
1MB, 640x360px
It's because it's greatly executed. Intertwined fates, having a burning desire but being unable to reach something, they are nothing new as a narrative element, but they can resonate with people if greatly executed, because most of us struggle trying to achieve things.
Pic related (actual spoilers) does the same, and works just as well, and it's not really a romantic movie by any normal measurement.
>>
>>160375388
5cm/s was more quiet ("contemplative") and timid ("authentic") but that's about it. It's also much more boring.
>>
>>160375160

>he wanted the movie to have a larger appeal, but he doesn't buy it himself

IIRC he said in interview that the earthquake changed his outlook and he wanted his disaster movie to inspire hope or something.
>>
>>160375160
>That's probably because 5cm is more true to Shinkai on some level.
I'm not entirely sure why people say this.

Sure, Voices of a Distant Star didn't have a happy reunity end, but Beyond the Clouds did.

It's not like he only does sad endings.
>>
>>160375327
>Evangelion was actually well written
>>
>>160375540
>muh nippon stronk
That's what they all say, and wasn't this movie actually developed only like 2 years ago? Never change Japan.
>>
>>160375388

Yawn.
>>
>>160375585

What are you trying to say?
>>
>>160375548
In fact, this movie has a lot more to do with Beyond the Clouds than other works.

The dream like states.
The meeting the person you're searching for in when they're at the same place in a different world at twilight.
Forgetting what happened in the dream when you wake up.
>>
>>160375548
I agree with you anon. Still, I felt a different feeling at the end of Beyond the Clouds than I did with Kimi no Na wa. It's like the tone of longing in Beyond the Clouds is still there, even when the characters have a "happy" ending. In Kimi no Na wa though, the ending was really supposed to be a resolution and feel actually cathartic, but seemed to be somehow off.
>>
>>160375696
The earthquake is just a feel-good reason for the cash grab that is Kimi no Nah bruh. It's the icing on the cake to get people to support it even more.
>>
>>160375574
>and thoroughly explained
Should have quoted that part too.
>>
>>160375524
Millennium Actress portrays it in a much more interesting way though. It was essentially a love letter to cinema as a whole compared to the pretty self-serving concept of soulmates presented in Kimi no Na wa.
>>
>>160375775
Indulging in one's own love affair with a medium is just as, if not, more, self-serving. I also take issue with your stance that a piece of art being self-serving is objectionable in any way. All arts' primary consumer is it's creator.
>>
>>160375574
>>160375753
Say what you want about Evangelion but the fact that he tried to bring up Naruto as another example to his defense already invalidated his post.
>>
>>160351311
What. It was absolutely fine. They just did

“Watashi... (Feminine)”
“Feminine?”

It was fine, and made sense.
>>
>>160375834
I'm talking about the concept of having a soulmate as a whole. I didn't mean the exact way that Kimi no Na wa did (though it does appear that way, that's my bad).
The whole idea that someone was made just for you is self-serving.
>>
>>160375927
We're all selfish creatures. You come to realize that in time.
>>
File: 1493671087506.jpg (55KB, 757x820px) Image search: [Google]
1493671087506.jpg
55KB, 757x820px
I thought this would be a great movie. You lied to me.
>>
I'm the same as op, i just found myself thinking "yeah, it's pretty, but that was it?" by the time the credits rolled. I never really had an upwelling of emotion throughout the movie. (Aside from mitsuha being cute)

On the other hand koe no katachi had me applauding kyanus for doing a good job of fitting everything into a short movie and the story itself was much more relatable and touched me personally.

Maybe it's just autism.
>>
>>160375976
It was a great movie. You just lied to yourself.
>>
>I'm looking for my counterpart
I see what you did there Shinkai.
>>
>>160376044
No. The moment it was clear they were on different timezones, it got shit. No way in hell would've Taki not recognized the comet, nor noticed he was 3 years in the past
>>
>>160376036
Koe no Katachi was so much more professionally handled its not even funny.
>>
>>160376086
Holy fuck this has such a high rewatch value
>>
>>160376036
>Maybe it's just autism.
It definitively is.
>>
>>160376146
>No way in hell would've Taki not recognized the comet
That's why >>160374254
>>
File: 1492218671251.jpg (297KB, 1266x1658px) Image search: [Google]
1492218671251.jpg
297KB, 1266x1658px
>>160376194

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog%27s_dilemma
>>
>>160376152
Koe no Katachi, even though it went by really fast, truly does a better job at setting an atmosphere. Not to mention that the OST for that is much, much better than the one for Kimi no Na wa. Every moment in that movie felt so powerful with every song cue, it's hard to describe. KnNw, in this regard, had to do many more things to really show the importance of a moment (like leaving it to dialogue+art+animation, the latter of which I felt like it stood out a bit more than Koe no Katachi.) Of course, that's not to say that Koe no Katachi doesn;t also do well with other things. but the OST for it is just something else entirely.
>>
>>160376370
I think both soundtracks were perfect for the films. Your Name's was an exuberant anthemic pop-rock extravaganza. A Silent Voice was wordless ambience.
>>
>>160376370
Oh yeah, sound was a HUGE part of Koe no Katachi and the OST really reflected that. It was all extremely tactile and moving despite being mere piano tracks at times.
Not to mention how fucking superb the voice acting was. So much emotion was conveyed through how both Shouko and Shouya talked, it was entrancing.
>>
>>160375735

Groundless cynicism isn't a useful lens through which to view people's actions.
>>
>>160376086
>>160376194

You are now noticing that Taki is visibly shorter in the flashback.
>>
>>160376807
>now noticing
>>
>>160377058

Okay only I'm now noticing.
>>
>>160352054
Dammit, even the posters are Keit-ai.
>>
>>160377209
>>160377209
NEW
Thread posts: 526
Thread images: 77

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.