[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the Dark Fantasy setting so criminally underutilised in Anime?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: berserkgrin.jpg (52KB, 651x421px) Image search: [Google]
berserkgrin.jpg
52KB, 651x421px
Why is the Dark Fantasy setting so criminally underutilised in Anime?
>>
Because not cute.

Also fictions and settings tend to get darker and darker longer it exists in the cultural psyche.

Western Fantasy really doesn't have any connection to average Japanese person so themes rarely get explored.

Western Fantasy is mostly through video games and that's why there's a metric fuck ton of "works like my rpgs" manga.
>>
Japan doesn't really have much of a cultural background when it comes to death.
The black plague and wars created such iconography and cultural shock that to this day the West is much more apt at expressing it. You can see the same in countries with a Mesoamerican background.
Japan does the "foreign influence" theme better though.
>>
>>160219264
Because anime is mostly for Otaku, and Otaku just want waifus and escapist power fantasies that relieve them from their miserable lives.
>>
Because the most popular fiction tends to be escapist bullshit like Idolmast-
>>
File: 1494123315580.jpg (10KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1494123315580.jpg
10KB, 250x250px
Each culture has their own "fantasy" settings of sorts. Japanese like to use Japanese characters/mythos/settings much like Europeans like to use European characters/mythos/etc.

Some Japanese people find much enjoyment in the European fantasy setting and set out to base their content upon it (i,e Dark Souls, Berserk) and the same goes for the West.
>>
File: Linaragna.jpg (57KB, 328x292px) Image search: [Google]
Linaragna.jpg
57KB, 328x292px
Because for some reason only a few Japanese writers feel confident trying to make a European Fantasy setting that isn't some template of Dragon Quest
>>
>Looking for an anime like Berserk
>"So there's this kid in school wh-...."

Why does the school setting have to ruin so many cool fucking concepts....
>>
File: performance artist.gif (1005KB, 472x262px) Image search: [Google]
performance artist.gif
1005KB, 472x262px
Why is the Deep Dark Fantasy setting so criminally underutilised in Anime?
>>
>>160220180
Fuck You
>>
>>160219770
>Japan doesn't really have much of a cultural background when it comes to death.
What the hell? Do you think Japanese art doesn't deal with death all the fucking time?Do you think they don't have wars in Japan? Do you think they don't have disease? Do you think they don't have fucking ritual suicide and honorable death as prominent historical concepts? Beyond that, do you seriously think there is a single society on earth without a major cultural background about death?
>>
>>160219770
This is one of the dumbest posts I read today.
>>
>>160220258
Just fuck off already.
Europe and the Central America lost most of their population in many places because of disease and war.
Japan didn't.
Japan was happy fun time with some honoraburu fights mixed in up until WW2.
Literally a hugbox country.
>>
>>160220440
And yet, after thousands of years of people in Japan dying, they, like every other culture, have tons of culture associated with it.
>>
>>160219264

It's difficult to create a setting or a story that's manages to convincingly be dark instead of just being edgy and needlessly cruel
>>
>>160220488
Not to the same extent.
Are we done here?
>>
>>160219264
there are bunch of berserk clones though
>>
File: 1456032587963.jpg (4MB, 2768x1557px) Image search: [Google]
1456032587963.jpg
4MB, 2768x1557px
>>160219264
In japanese vidyas, dark fantasy is as overused as eroge and otome.
>>
>>160220555
>Not to the same extent.
Nice goalposts. That aside, it's to such an extent that any difference there may be is immaterial. Their fiction is full of death, just like everyone else's. "There's not much dark fantasy anime because Japan doesn't like death as a theme!" is completely retarded.
>>
>>160220692
Give an example except for the Souls series.
>>
>>160220728
Castlevania depending on artists
Team Ico stuff
>>
>>160220728
Devil May Cry
>>
>>160220778

>two examples

Here's a better one, name me a genre that "isn't overused" in vidya.
>>
>>160220825
>give an example
>>two examples
Not him, but this is pretty bullshit.
>>
>>160220578

Name 5
>>
>>160220825
What kind of genre is Touhou? Touhou seems out of ordinary this day in age.
>>
>>160220825
You asked for 1, I gave you 2 are you upset because of it?

Honestly Splatoon or Arms kind of new Nintendo crap. I honestly don't know what to call it. Alt sport?
>>
>>160220859
Berzerk
Berserk: Millennium Falcon Hen Seima Senki no Shō
Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage
Berserk and the Band of the Hawk
Berserk Endless Eclipse
>>
File: Tir.McDohl.full.1323610.jpg (330KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Tir.McDohl.full.1323610.jpg
330KB, 600x600px
>>160219264
>Why is the Dark Fantasy setting so criminally underutilised in Anime?

Straight up fantasy settings are rare by themselves today, anon. Most of the time they're just some MMO world or something.
>>
>>160220719
>moving goalposts
Read my first post again you fucking austismo.
The only meme that has seeped through to anime is "muh shinigami" and "ghosts". Wew lad this really doesn't much help your point does it?
Compare that to the thousands of literary works. Hundreds of thousands murals, paintings and mosaics depicting death in every church.
Having death cults march around for an entire century and torture squads burning people alive and public flaying. But it doesn't end there, maybe read up some on history.
Well that's where it ends doesn't it? Something that is a prevalent part of the everyday life is going to of course be more aptly expressed in fiction and culture.
The only thing of comparable magnitude in terms of psychological impact that ever happened in Japan was the Atomic Bombs.
The wars of feuding over small time territory was nothing. Even when Mr. big bad Nobunaga changed the game and employed peasant armies it was still nothing comparable. And thanks to being an island they pretty much escaped fully any threatening pandemic.
You're still going to stick to the fiction that they have the same (or even a fraction of) extensive depth of culture when it comes to death?
Go ahead, I won't deny your delusions.
>>
>>160220153
>Why does the school setting have to ruin so many cool fucking concepts....

Because the more original concepts are weeded out by producers and other suits.
School settings (according to their data) sells, so they stick to it.
>>
>>160221038
>Read my first post again you fucking austismo.
>Japan doesn't really have much of a cultural background
Yeah, that's not the same thing as "less than Europe."

> The only meme that has seeped through to anime
>to anime
>Compare that to the thousands of literary works. Hundreds of thousands murals, paintings and mosaics depicting death in every church.
> comparing the West's entire cultural aoutput to anime, while ignoring all other Japanese work
You are fucking retarded beyond belief.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.