[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Gurren Lagann the anti-Evangelion?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: 9227-evagurrenlagann.jpg (68KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
9227-evagurrenlagann.jpg
68KB, 550x413px
Where Gurren Laganns message was that you have the power to overcome any problem, Evangelions message seemed to be that you are powerless to do anything.
What do you think /a/?
>>
>>160124721
>Evangelions message seemed to be that you are powerless to do anything.
???
>>
>>160124721
I think your media literacy is on a kindergarten level.
>>
>>160124721
Eva had a lot of messages, but that is certainly not one of them. Are you thinking of Ideon?
>>
>>160124721
>Evangelion
>About being powerless
It literally has shinji pushing himself through hell just to save earth, and he succeeds. Multiple times. If anything evangelion does this best out of almost anything.
>>
>>160124744
>>160124818
>>160124847
Most of the time when Shinji fought he got his ass kicked until EVA went berserk and took over, every battle makes him more and more fucked up and weaker to the point of being suicidal, whereas Simon is almost the exact opposite, even in the first half of Gurren Lagann he finds the strength to fight and win
Maybe I worded that wrong at first, but thats what I meant, even by the end Shinji is still fucked up beyond repair.
>>
>>160125008
And in the end, despite all the abuse, he still rejects escapism and lives with himself.
>>
>>160124847
friends still die
love interests still die
apocalypse still happens
dad is still an asshole

Even when getting in the robot and killing angels Nerv and Seele still fucks him and everyone else over.
>>
>>160125267
Thats a good point. I suppose by the end Evangelion ended somewhat hopeful, but overall it still had a pretty nihilistic tone, evan at GL's lowest points the characters still pulled through, Shinji wanted to give up for most of the show, in a way hes basically what Simon would be without Kamina as a role model
>>
Eva's message was that, no matter how many times you fall down, and how ugly and scary reality might seem you have to get up and keep going forward.

GL's message was closer to: "magic and screaming will make things better."
>>
>>160127511
>I believe that's also Gurren Laggans message as well as some shit about balance and population control
>>
>>160125555
Quads may not lie, but i think they undervalue the message of eva
>>
>>160127511
>magic screaming makes it better
you do know the evas did the same when berserk right? This happened again in the movies. Besides they even said that the spiral power is amplified through the gunmen, the eva and gunmen both rely on god powers in the end.
>>
>>160124721
kind of yeah, I mean the overall complexity of eva is smashed with simplistic thinking in TTGL. The major difference is the character Kamina.
>>
>>160127511
>GL's message was closer to: "magic and screaming will make things better."
did you even watch the show?
both had the same premise but ttgl had more encouragement and uplifting attitude, where as eva continued its spiral depression and realises you can't be happy with out sadness. In the end it was about the power of the individual with both except one had positive reinforcements while the other didnt.
>>
>>160124721
They are litterally the same except one is positive while the other is negative.
>>
>>160125286
Yeah, and he has the power to live on regardless, which is testament to the incredible will a human being can have, which is a huge theme in the show. Jesus Christ, anon.

>>160129404
I wouldn't even call Eva negative. A lot of negative shit happens in Eva, and in fact that's a huge understatement, but it's there to show you that although negativity is a fact of life, you are capable of living with it--not necessarily overcoming it, because pain is life and life is not to be overcome, but coexisting with it and letting it exist alongside the joy and love you can demonstrate unto yourself.
It's hard but it's hopeful. Having someone tell you that there is meaning in your pain so long as you are capable of also feeling joy is hopeful.
>>
>>160124721
>Not understanding the themes of NGE
>>
>>160130841
that's the thing though characters are tying to get shinji to over come it instead of living with it. When they push him he shuts down.
>>
>>160124721
OP you must be actually retarded if you think those are the themes of those shows. In general I don't get why idiots keep thinking that Eva is negative, depressing, nihilistic or whatever other bullshit people come up with.
It's so simple. Life hurts, sometimes life fucking sucks. Loving someone, being intimate with someone will get you hurt, that's the hedgehog's dilemma. But guess what, that's what makes it real.
What's the point of loving if it were so easy? You can live a life of eternal bliss in the Instrumentality but it's a fake happiness. Shinji realises this, he chooses reality over Instrumentality because he sees that while life hurts, it's also beautiful.
And if that isn't the most uplifting shit you've ever heard then I don't know what to say.
>>
>>160131385
you know what's funner than the shitty Mental themes? The plot with the giant cyborg fighting off angels. A lot more fun than psychoanalizing it.
>>
>>160125008
>Most of the time when Shinji fought he got his ass kicked until EVA went berserk and took over
Three times. On the third he was carrying the fight and pulling the Angel's head off until his battery died. Most of the time he was operating under the same parameters as every EVA.
>>
Shinji rejects singularity and saves the human race.
>>
>>160132469
>saves it
yeah....yeah he does...
>>
>>160132526
In time everyone that was liquified would crawl out of the lcl ocean if they wanted to. It was an incomplete process because he rejected it.
>>
>>160132418
The point is that Simons mecha relies on him willing to fight, while shinji's doesnt, not trying to prove you wrong. Shinji fights because he's told too and wants praise from his dad.
>>
>>160132597
yeah I know, the problem is the world is left with LCL fluid and destroyed landscape with a giant rotting corpse. Not much of a world to go back too really.
>>
The message in Eva is don't be an asshole and/or humans can't be together without hurting themselves
>>
>>160132631
The manga and the rebuilds. Suggest everything is rebuilt in the future and life returns to normal.
>>
>>160132603
He was done with Gendo after the dummy plug. From 19 to the end of 24 he was demanding to be deployed to save everyone.
>>
>>160132721
yeah, but loses it again after kaworu.
>>
>>160132870
Right, so it's as true as Simon only fighting for Kamina's approval and shitting around on Dai-Gurren being his true self.
>>
I haven't posted on /a/ in 8 years just popping in to say

No, GaoGaiGar is the anti-evangelion. GGG was made after the pseudo-eva era in the late mid-late 90s when every mecha was made to be dark and deep. GGG was made with a specific ruleset from the writers with shit like "Under no circumstances can any of the protagonists betray another protagonist'. Gurren Lagann is an homage to man tropes of mecha with elements of all eras including the pseudo-eva era, while GaoGaiGar is SPECIFICALLY a rejection of Evangelion.
>>
>>160124721

I don't think you understood what Eva was about.
>>
>>160133278
that would be the case if Kamina stayed Alive the majority of the series, but simon gets over it after episode 11
>>
>>160130948
So it isn't okay to run away?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.