[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So many original mecha anime from the past decade have flopped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

File: Gurren-lagann-16-.jpg (49KB, 524x312px) Image search: [Google]
Gurren-lagann-16-.jpg
49KB, 524x312px
So many original mecha anime from the past decade have flopped and been plain terrible except for TTGL?
What did it do right where others did wrong?
>>
ripping off past mecha and giving it a budget (oh and no CGI shit).

gotta go with the classics
>>
Classic shonenshit plot and visuals with a budget.

I love GL so not a problem.
>>
most series after TTGL are Gundam/Eva clones

TTGL is a Getter Robo clone
>>
>>160051609
>been plain terrible except for TTGL
TTGL had a horrible second half, so don't talk.
>>
>>160053971
I kinda felt the series waxed and waned

>first half of first part
boring
>second half of first part
awesome
>first half of first page
rage inducing
>second half of second part
awesome
>>
>>160054050
Meh. I don't like how it tried to be getter robo in the second half, and doing a poor job at it with the uninteresting dialogue and writing.The last episodes also had a sluggish pacing.

The first half was just fun super robo parody, then in the second half, I'm expected to take all of this shit seriously. Can't do it.
>>
>>160054139
Just think of it as Getter Robo with a budget, writing might not be as tight but the animation was Gainax quality.

Maybe the writing would have been better if they just fucked off with the whole first half of the second part (literally no point to it).
>>
>>160051609
It had soul and style rather than just being yet ANOTHER Gundam ripoff.
The problem with series trying to become the new Gundam or copy and of Gundam's tones or styles, is that fans would rather just rewatch their favourite Gundam.
>>
>>160051609
Mecha died after the economy crash in the 90s, Macross and Gundam now have a monopoly on the genre. TTGL had some pretty refreshing visuals and robot designs despite the pretty standard super robo plot and mediocre characters. Promare is probably going to flop hard though.
>>
>>160056425
There's tons of Mecha anime from the late 90s and 00s. You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
>>
It's funny, I never used to like mecha but I've started working in a factory where there's alot of automation plus I'm studying computer science at the same time and now I love it.

I've been watching older stuff from the 90s and it seems to me like more passion went into the project in general back then but now it's more about profit and following the success of the predecessors by turning it into some kind of formula
>>
>>160051609
Fought the power.
>>
>>160056617
Obviously its not an instant thing, it was a slow burn. Mecha was fucking EVERYWHERE in the 80s but as soon as the 90s hit it puttered out. There was a small super robot boom in the 90s but it didn't last long. Hell, even Gundam barely survived the 90s, it took SEED to revive the franchise.
>>
>>160054249
>rather than just being yet ANOTHER Gundam ripoff.
And instead of being another Gundam ripoff, it was a getter robo ripoff.
>>
>>160054249
>but the animation was Gainax quality.
Which is useless when all the mecha fights in TTGL are poorly choreographed.

The writing in the Getter OVAs are alt universe stuff and they're all over the place. Better read the manga.

Afaik, I don't know any other sr show that has a fight as good as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxsb1jSfzuM
>>
>>160056976
>poorly choreographed
It always makes me laugh when people try to use choreography to claim that the fights were shit.
For one, TTGL barely had any fights. There was a good number of them in the first 8 episodes and the last fight with anti-spiral, but the majority of action in the series was Simon getting knocked around, activating spiral power, and one-shotting the poor guy.
>>
>>160051609
The show is a literal meme, every single episode is meme worthy for either catch phrases or pictures.
Memes are in right now, you're just part of the fad. It wasn't that good of a show, it was just funny.
>>
>>160057148
The action in the second half wasn't satisfying at all.

I can find more engaging fight scenes even in old 70s shit like Mazinger Z.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8QrzypoGek
>>
>>160056881
which makes it better regardless

at least the characters are more likable in a Getter rip-off
>>
>>160057197
>watch a Gainax anime
>complain about anime references and memes
>>
>>160056863
Except they went through a mini boom in the early 00s and there was a consistent amount getting released throughout the decade. Was it as much as the Toei era of robot shows or the OVA boom of 80s? Of course not, robots were THE thing then. But the 90s and 00s had plenty of great mecha shows. It's the 10s that have been pretty pretty low on mecha content with only a small amount of shows every season, and the majority have been bad with few notable stand outs.

>>160056976
The final battle in New Getter comes close. Also all the OVAs are fine in their writing as long as you aren't retarded or need everything spoonfed to you.
>>
Anyway we need more Getter Robo rip-offs

presumably without CGI mechs
>>
File: 6b358d5d.jpg (13KB, 370x209px) Image search: [Google]
6b358d5d.jpg
13KB, 370x209px
>>160057943
You mean this one? It's good, but I feel it's a little too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pciq4XOXYTo

I think Musashi's last stand in the Shin vs Neo OVA is even better. It nailed his death scene from the manga perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yBP8_EeiEs
>>
>>160058062
We just need more Getter Robo. I hope that either next year or in 6 years (either 45th anniversary or 50th anniversary) we get something new for the franchise. Nagai holds the production rights since its a DynamicPro IP and Ishikawa made him a cocreator, and he's pretty good about not licensing DynamicPro stuff to people who won't treat it well so he can be trusted. Honestly just give it to Kawagoe and let him make his own Getter story, he's been trustworthy three times now why not go for a fourth?
>>
>>160058200
>You mean this one? It's good, but I feel it's a little too long.
Yeah that's the one, I can see why you might find it a bit long but I think that adds to how desperate a struggle it is and how much it emphasizes that the Getter team are bending Getter to their will and not the other way around. A lot of growth happens in that fight and seeing the team reach 100% sync was hype as fuck.

>>160058200
>I think Musashi's last stand in the Shin vs Neo OVA is even better. It nailed his death scene from the manga perfectly.
That is a perfect adaptation of that scene and how gut wrenching his sacrifice was. Kawagoe really knows how to convey action.
>>
File: 1494035096561.png (129KB, 771x600px) Image search: [Google]
1494035096561.png
129KB, 771x600px
>>160057197
>>
>>160051609
The mechs aren't CGI abominations

I swear the first mech anime that makes the mechs non-CG will be AOTD
>>
File: Getter-Robo-Go-03-0106-0107.png (978KB, 1649x1296px) Image search: [Google]
Getter-Robo-Go-03-0106-0107.png
978KB, 1649x1296px
>>160058251
>We just need more Getter Robo
Fucking this. One of the greatest super robo stories ever told is on mere paper. It's begging to be adapted properly with a budget.

>Kawagoe and let him make his own Getter story
I would prefer if they properly adapted the manga and not fuck with the storyline and characters. We don't need another Ken Ishikawa clusterfuck.
>>
File: 1238297657218.jpg (309KB, 1600x810px) Image search: [Google]
1238297657218.jpg
309KB, 1600x810px
This aired in the same year as TTGL. It barely had a budget, but that scene was fucking amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hQp9JLb1hA
>>
>>160051609
>great animation
>concise story telling
>well directed in general
>fun and serious at the same time
>memorable main cast
>took tried and tested tropes and amped them up to 100
>consistent theme and meaningful message that most can relate too
>appeals to a wide audience, including “turn your brain off” retards and people who can appreciate it's true strengths and homages
>took inspiration from Getter Robo, one of the coolest scifi manga of all time
>made by the studio that created NGE

tl;dr- It's a fantastic anime that was released at the right time and to the right audience.
>>
File: Getter-Robo-G-461.jpg (2MB, 994x1461px) Image search: [Google]
Getter-Robo-G-461.jpg
2MB, 994x1461px
>>160058496
Getter is fucking nuts and its sad that it hasn't received the adaptation it deserves.
>>
>>160058666
>great animation
Yes.
>concise story telling
No. The second half shit the bed hard with the plot.
>well directed in general
Some scenes were well directed, but as a whole, it's very straightforward. I don't see how it deserves any awards here.
>fun and serious at the same time
Worst combination.
>memorable main cast
Not really. A lot of side characters were forgotten.
>took tried and tested tropes and amped them up to 100
>consistent theme and meaningful message that most can relate too
The ending went against the show's message.
>appeals to a wide audience, including “turn your brain off” retards and people who can appreciate its true strengths and homages
It appeals to a wide audience mostly due to its flashiness. Gainax can do that, but I don't find other aspects of the show impressive.
>took inspiration from Getter Robo, one of the coolest scifi manga of all time
I wish it didn't. The reason why the second half is such a mess is that they decided to take inspiration from evolution plot in Getter Robo. A huge mistake.
>made by the studio that created NGE
Meh. I don't care about NGE.
>>
>>160058496
>One of the greatest super robo stories ever told is on mere paper. It's begging to be adapted properly with a budget.
>I would prefer if they properly adapted the manga and not fuck with the storyline and characters.
That would be neat but honestly I don't need an adaptation when the source material is as good as Getter Robo Saga. I like the same start but different trajectory that the franchise has with every entry, I would love to see a whole new story rather than just revisit one I know. Or if there's enough notes to decipher how Ishikawa planned to end Arc, make a movie that just closes off the story officially rather than inferring it like we have had to.

>We don't need another Ken Ishikawa clusterfuck.
The only time that kinda happens is the Imagawa portion of Armageddon and Kawagoe did a nice job of tidying it up.
>>
>>160058810
>Worst combination
I disagree with that on principle. It wouldn't be good to have a series serious about everything or not serious about anything.

The comedic moments made the characters likable and relatable while the serious parts showed them something worth fighting for.
>>
File: 2V2dW.jpg (625KB, 1518x1110px) Image search: [Google]
2V2dW.jpg
625KB, 1518x1110px
>>160058834
>The only time that kinda happens is the Imagawa portion of Armageddon and Kawagoe did a nice job of tidying it up.
It happened in New Getter too. Ken Ishikawa references out of nowhere.
>>
File: disgusted.jpg (9KB, 339x360px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted.jpg
9KB, 339x360px
>>160058956
The problem I have with TTGL's combination of serious and fun is that it started as a mockery of the genre, but expected its audience to take its plot seriously by the end of it.

Why couldn't it be just a straight super robot show? You can have comedic moments in between, but at least treat your material with the respect it deserves.
>>
>>160059061
>started as a mockery of the genre
That's an insult to the studio if I ever read one. Gainax are mech fanboys in all respects and TTGL does nothing to say otherwise. Serious moments where as early as episode 1 and though some of the earlier episodes were awkward due to withholding of budget and questionable direction it wasn't a complete goof-off fest making fun of the genre.
>>
>>160058956
There is nothing wrong with having levity in a series situation or bringing serious ideas into a more fun oriented series. It handled being serious in the first half pretty well once Kamina died, the execution was well done that the series angle and had solid execution so it fit into the tone and coexisted with the more wild stuff. The problem was TTGL went from goofball stupid to overly serious with the time skip, taking itself way too seriously and having no balance due to piss poor execution. This came from the Getter ripoffs going into overdrive since Imaishi and Nakashima openly admitted they had no plan for what to do and just pulled shit out of their ass every episode, and while not terrible writers/creators they are nowhere near as good of writers and Ishikawa. This lead to TTGL trying to ape themes that were well above its head and missing the mark entirely, which is why spiral energy is Getter rays but dumbed down to a remedial level.

>>160058957
>It happened in New Getter too. Ken Ishikawa references out of nowhere.
I mean it turned the Hyakki empire into full on Oni so it made sense to blend it with Kyomu Senki, the other magnum opus of Ishikawa. Besides it was mostly small nods to other Ishikawa works or other DynamicPro properties (like the password being Cutie Honey) but even then Armageddon had way more. In all the OVAs the references are small and don't pull too much attention, they end up more like Easter eggs for diehard fans. What's the problem?

>>160059061
>mockery
That's not the right word. Direct lifting is more apt, down to directly copying frames of animation.
>>
>>160058810
It was Gainax's apology for NGE.
>>
File: 1475944054207.jpg (425KB, 720x4310px) Image search: [Google]
1475944054207.jpg
425KB, 720x4310px
>>160059305
No. The mecha is treated as a joke. all through out the show. I feel no attachment to the mecha itself. Just look at Mazinger Z. Without Mazinger Z, the series loses a lot of meaning. It's such a central theme of the story where Kouji can either turn this giant majestic mecha in either a God or a Devil (Majinga meaning Demon God). TTGL treats its mecha like who gives a shit. Even the original Gundam held a lot of weight in its own show.

>That's an insult to the studio if I ever read one
Not really. It's only Imaishi who does that kind of shit. His shows are always parodies of genres. I hate that. As much I didn't care for Eva, at least Anno wasn't making fun of the genre, and treated it with respect.

>>160059645
>It handled being serious in the first half pretty well once Kamina died, the execution was well done that the series angle and had solid execution so it fit into the tone and coexisted with the more wild stuff. The problem was TTGL went from goofball stupid to overly serious with the time skip, taking itself way too seriously and having no balance due to piss poor execution.
This so fucking much. After this goofball first half, we're supposed to now take it seriously, and not just for a few episodes, but for the entirety of the second half.

>>160059645
>directly copying frames of animation.
I have no problem with that if it's a good scene, Iike the one from Ashita no Joe where Joe tries to escape from prison with animals. I just don't like the direction TTGL took.

I get triggered when people say TTGL is the only good mecha show of the last decade. Like what the hell? Stop acting like pretentious dumb-wits. Even Code Geass was more popular.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.