[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anime adaptations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 8

File: kamisama.png (800KB, 578x815px) Image search: [Google]
kamisama.png
800KB, 578x815px
What makes a source material hard to adapt? Have any adaptations impressed you on a technical level?
>>
>>160019858
Lack of sales of the source material means that unless they can pull in some big names or a big name makes it a project of love means low sales. There's plenty of other reasons, like what's in style that season, art being difficult to animate, studios just having too many other projects, but everyone wants a buck. That's the reason we'll never get an OVA for one of the best oneshots I've read god tier taste, OP.
>>
>>160019858
It's all about character designs. Anime rarely does unique character designs justice.
>>
File: 01.jpg (268KB, 1365x1586px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
268KB, 1365x1586px
>>160019858
>What makes a source material hard to adapt?
I can tell you, that anime studios rarely have a choice in adapting what the genuinely want, and instead must adapt things that sell.
>>
File: 1439720487209.jpg (667KB, 1924x1628px) Image search: [Google]
1439720487209.jpg
667KB, 1924x1628px
>>160020218

Mysterious Girlfriend X is probably one of the best examples of an anime capturing a manga's distinctive designs. Also had the bonus of ending right where the manga got stuck on Namek.

Here's hoping his followup 'My mother can't possibly be this cute' gets an adaptation.

It isn't just the designs though, quite often a comedy manga has a joke every page but the show doesn't have talented enough writers to stretch out a chapter or two to 20 minutes and insert new jokes so a manga that moves through jokes at a breakneck pace often feels a lot more stilted (see Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa).
>>
>>160019858
wasn't there a live adaptation of this? or maybe the story the manga was based on
>>
File: file.png (452KB, 400x565px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
452KB, 400x565px
>>160020453
>a comedy manga has a joke every page but the show doesn't have talented enough writers to stretch out a chapter or two to 20 minutes and insert new jokes
Pic related was my first thought.
>>
>>160021488
they should of made each ep. 10 min max
>>
File: 1479955550412.webm (684KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
1479955550412.webm
684KB, 848x480px
The only fault of SZS is that it didn't adapt the manga's ending
>>
File: sangatsu.png (475KB, 960x1400px) Image search: [Google]
sangatsu.png
475KB, 960x1400px
>>160019858
I feel like when it comes to manga some of the biggest factors are how the mangaka uses ink and how detailed their patterns and designs are.

Manga and video games allow for more detailed designs while anime studios are forced to simplify them unless they have a gigantic budget, and in most cases that simplification ends up looking really cheap. As for the ink part, some manga scenes just looks so much better in pure black and white, when anime add colour it loses that strong contrast.

And with scenes like pic related it's hard to leave the same impression in an anime because a simple pan won't work, you need a creative director. The way some things can cross over from one panel to another and borders can get erased is pretty unique in manga. (However, I should note that I love the 3-gatsu adaptation, I'm so happy they did justice to the original style).
>>
I was pretty impressed with Rakugo's adaptation. It had many abstract scenes like pic related, and when the director fucks up the transitions, they end up looking as ridiculous as shitty shounen flashback scenes and lose all impact.
>>
File: tekkonkinkreet1.jpeg.jpg (282KB, 1600x682px) Image search: [Google]
tekkonkinkreet1.jpeg.jpg
282KB, 1600x682px
>>160019858
tekkon was porbably the most on-point adaptation i've seen so far
on a technical level especially
>>
>>160019858
Too much gore in franken fran.
It would be AOTY
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.