[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it even possible to make a good Harem anime?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

File: shufflegroup1.jpg (147KB, 729x1032px)
shufflegroup1.jpg
147KB, 729x1032px
what twists can they possibly do to save this absolutely shit genre of anime?
>>
File: L2k9e0c.png (778KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
L2k9e0c.png
778KB, 728x546px
Horror seems to be a pretty unexplored angle for Haremshit anime. I'd be happy with something that doesn't take place in a fucking school
>>
File: Harem of the year all years.jpg (242KB, 704x1584px) Image search: [Google]
Harem of the year all years.jpg
242KB, 704x1584px
>>
If you want a good harem you need to either read a LN or a VN. Anime/Manga as mediums are not very good for developing relationships.
>>
>>159816981
Actually I feel like I should elaborate on this.
One volume of a LN = around 40 chapters of manga or 5-6 episodes of anime in terms of amount of content. If you spend 20% of a LN on dialogue and character thoughts, that's not an issue because the reader can keep going and get to the action. In a manga or anime that doesn't work because it will take several weeks to get through those episodes or several months for the chapters. As a result, manga and anime just don't spend nearly as much time on dialogue and character thoughts as LN/VN which make it harder to effectively develop a relationship. Good harems are defined by good relationships. A good harem makes you care about the female characters, and to do that it needs to effectively develop their relationship with the MC. As such a manga or anime harem can never really be good unless it's good in some other area unrelated to the harem itself, like comedy or something.
>>
>>159816600

Trinity seven.
>>
File: 1494906397267.gif (127KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1494906397267.gif
127KB, 400x400px
>>159817176
well shit that is a well thought out and easily explained reason why harem anime is shit.
>>
Just like what I posted in the other thread on this subject.

1. MC who is more than a dumb doormat, self-insert. Give them more character and personality.
2. Love interests who are more than a one word archetype (tsundere, kuudere, genki, brat, etc). Develop them in their own world, what is their likes, dislikes, fears, how is their family life, school life, hobbies, etc. Turn them from masturbation material to a genuine character that the audience could believe.
3. No first girl bullshit or childhood friend crap to make up for bad writing. Develop the relationships in a believable manner, and do rely on stupid crap like, "he is a nice guy," or "we hung out for one month in kindergarten," or "we made a promise in 2nd grade." That is lazy writing.

I guess that is my big issue, just hire someone who can write. The manga-ka can draw, but aside from weekly/monthly brainstorming and initial character design, they should stay the heck away from the script.
>>
>>159817405
>do rely on stupid crap like, "he is a nice guy,"

Oops, I meant to say don't rely on stupid crap like.....
>>
>>159816600
Make the MC interesting, introduce enough girls to each have some focus without being shallow, and make the main pairing clear so there isn't any room for retarded indecision on the girl to pick or any confession bullshit
>>
>>159816600
Rokujouma
>>
File: 9d4.jpg (50KB, 580x773px) Image search: [Google]
9d4.jpg
50KB, 580x773px
>>159817405
>>159817560
>>159817612
Concept;

MC buys a love potion from Needful Things(tm), he slips it to 4 girls, cause he is a teenager wants to have a harem. Needful Things, being a shop run by the devil, has everything cursed with an ironic twist. If you use the Love Potion to get with someone other than your Soulmate, your soulmate dies, and the new person takes their place. the devil explain that if he gets with any of the girls he used the love potion on, the other 3 plus his real soulmate dies.

Drama, horror, and a real reason why he just doesn't choose.
>>
A yandere kills all the other girls.
>>
>>159817176
>>159816981
To kind of extend your theme further, the only really appropriate place to write a good harem would actually be a novel. For example, the Tale of Genji has lots of harem elements, it is considered one of the greatest novels ever made.

What a shock, it also was written by a woman almost a thousand years ago and has some of the richest and nuanced character interactions put in a book.
>>
>>159817869
>MC buys a love potion from Needful Things(tm), he slips it to 4 girls, cause he is a teenager wants to have a harem. Needful Things, being a shop run by the devil, has everything cursed with an ironic twist. If you use the Love Potion to get with someone other than your Soulmate, your soulmate dies, and the new person takes their place. the devil explain that if he gets with any of the girls he used the love potion on, the other 3 plus his real soulmate dies.
The MC tells them about the curse and ceases any contact with them so he doesn't think with his dick over his brain and kill some innocent girls. There's literally no reason for him to continue to interact with the girls considering if he chooses any of them 4 other people will die.

It'd make more sense if it was that he could only break the curse by choosing the one who's actually his soulmate, and if he picked none of them by a certain date then they'd all die including him
>>
>>159816600

Harem anime/manga can be good as long as it doesn't take itself seriously and realizes how its an absolutely nonsensical genre such as in Ouran Host.
>>
>>159818959
Girls pursue him, they are under the effects of a love potion. They insasisated with him because he drugged them. Quite literally it would be stupid to let the person who holds your life in their dick to let them out of your site.

didn't think of a way to break the curse though, that is pretty good.
>>
>>159816600
>good harem anime
Closest I got is SZS.
>>
>>159818982
That's a good point, Harem genre as a whole tries to take itself too seriously. If it had more of a humor focus and focusing on the absurd (a la Ranma 1/2) it would be better.
>>
File: 1395963665922.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1395963665922.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
Harems are fundamentally flawed unless the main character is extremely charismatic, likable, and strong. Things most writers are scared of making their character both from personal insecurities and fear of readers thinking its a stupid chad story. Bakemonogatri is beloved because Araragi is a very well liked character, you could see a harem of women lusting after Araragi based on his activities.

If you just have a generally nice character, or a mildly competent person in a world of incompetents it just feels like a cop out. Harems are done better in VNs with multiple choices where the MC has a reasonable distance from most of the female cast and then a route puts them near a heroine. This avoids the character assassinating brain virus where female characters abandon all reason and personality to lust after MC for convenience.

Well done harems
>Bakemonogatari
>Grisaia
>Majikoi

Shit harems
>Oreimo
>SAO
>Re:Zero
>Any of huge number of battle academy/isekai/vrmmo/school comedy harems etc.
>>
>>159819099
>Quite literally it would be stupid to let the person who holds your life in their dick to let them out of your site.
As you wrote it in your original post, there's no penalty the MC has for staying away from any of the girls, so as long as he doesn't romance any of them their lives aren't in danger. Even if they're in love with him, he can still just avoid them and not talk to him
>>
>>159816600
Ways to make a good harem anime
>true harem ending
>don't have more girls than you have plot for - most writers can't handle more than 3-5
>protag who isn't a fuckup beta and gets shit done/doesn't take shit from harem
>if comedy, include actual comedy that isn't lol face in crotch hand on boobs
these are only a few fixes
>>
>>159816600
NTR solves everything.
>>
>>159816600
Make it realistic.

Loli harem with a Muslim MC
>>
>>159820324
Negima, excellent example of too many girls, not enough plot
>>
>>159820446
Okay, I laughed at this one.

>>159820708
Yup, if the cast was just 6 main girls it wou.d be far better. Most people don't remember more than a handful of them.
>>
File: img000008.jpg (298KB, 750x933px) Image search: [Google]
img000008.jpg
298KB, 750x933px
>>159816600
>Shuffle!
Its hard to determine who is the main girl on that one, which makes expectations who wins in the end better. It adds a lot that the anime makes of content that is not on the original VN, and you can even take it in itself since its generally a SoL.

Damn, now I want to play the original again. Too bad MG won't get Essence +. Should I hit the FDs first?
>>
File: Oyakodon.jpg (493KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Oyakodon.jpg
493KB, 1024x768px
Oyakodon!
>>
>>159822651
>That H-scene of her with her mother.
Kaede sure is lewd, huh? Her having an idea like that.

The more closer one is with Sage and Nerine in the FD. Though it feels odd due to the circumstances around it.
>>
>>159816600
Harem Girls Raising Project.
Basically Harem MCs all over Japan in a battle royale.
Written and Directed by the Butcher.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.