[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gundam: Anime or Manga?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

I'm going to be getting into Gundam soon. Should I watch the anime or read the manga? Usually I'd just read the manga with any other series, but it looks like the manga actually came after the anime and is an adaption.
In fact, some of the later manga apparently have differences from the anime, although I'm not sure how big they are.
Obviously the art from the manga is a huge plus when talking about the original Mobile Suit Gundam, but I want the one with the better story.
>>
Production order. 0079 was first.
>>
The series.
>>
>>159385644
just do universal century in release order, then read the books and novels if you feel like it.
try the movies if you dont want to commit to 150 ish episodes.

ZzGundam is actually really good, far better than zeta, dont listen to people who say otherwise
>>
>>159386366
Dont listen to this faggot zz is shit
>>
File: IMG_0807.jpg (37KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0807.jpg
37KB, 500x375px
>>159386366
>ZZ
>something good
Pick one
>>
File: Real Gundam Guide.jpg (3MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
Real Gundam Guide.jpg
3MB, 2800x3402px
>>159385644
Current gundam guide, start with Cosmic Era
>>
>>159387482
>start with Cosmic Era
Fuck off Seedfag.
>>
>>159387523
i am agree with >>159387482
someone who've just started gundam should watch something light first like 00 or seed
>>
>>159387482
Right but I don't see anything about the manga on this. I'm wondering if I should watch the anime or read the manga instead.
>>
>>159388074
anime
gundam series is based originally and more focusing on anime
>>
File: 8257817.jpg (95KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
8257817.jpg
95KB, 960x720px
>>159387419
>>159387482
it has a shit start but the rest of Zz is great, and it has animes hottest villan.
>>
File: 1405716264133.png (376KB, 907x720px) Image search: [Google]
1405716264133.png
376KB, 907x720px
>>159388074
Gundam the Origin is the Manga retelling of the original 0079 that I believe you are referring too, since it's what your OP image is from. If you decide that you don't want to watch the anime of the original series for whatever reason it's a pretty serviceable telling of the story with nice artwork. Vertical also has excellent quality physical editions if collecting things is your bag.

It only covers the events of 0079 (though it does have a prequel story arc) so after that you'd pretty much have to watch the rest animated.
>>
>>159386366
>>159387327
>>159387419
ZZ's first half was good fun.

Second half is repetition of Zeta, everything after Dublin was a chore to watch.
>>
>>159388580
Cool, I think I'll go pick up the manga then. Thanks.
>>
>>159388678
the first half whas the weird part that puts everyone off, once they leave the colony it gets ten times better.
>>
>>159388580
>It only covers the events of 0079 (though it does have a prequel story arc) so after that you'd pretty much have to watch the rest animated.
Also if you intend to watch the sequels, using the Origin as a reference for those is not a good idea.
It is a completely stand alone retelling of the first series only, done by its chief animator according to his personal sensibilities and it doesn't tie in in any way with the sequels in the production of which he was not involved.
In term of themes, if one could say that it has such at all, and characterization the manga is quite unrelated to the series it adapts.
>>
>>159388961
Hmm I guess I'll have to watch the anime then and then read the manga after. Or should I do it the other way around?
>>
>>159389011
Do it any way you wish. Just keep in mind that they are completely different things.
Judging from your OP you are new to this. You will probably find the original series old and boring but it is a really good long term investment. It is legitimately one of the best things produced in animated form.
I don't consider the manga to have even a shred of artistic worth but I can also see why a lot of people wouldn't care about that. It is serviceable as entertainment and maybe that is what you would prefer at this point?
Decide for yourself. It's not the end of the world if you see any one before the other as long as you don't let it bias your perceptions.
I just want you to have in mind that such a distinction exists in the first place because a lot of long-time fans of the franchise can't seem to grasp that concept at all.
>>
>>159389517
I'll start with the anime, then. Thanks man. Cheers.
>>
>>159385644
Are you dumb? Watch the original.
>>
>>159389517
>I don't consider the manga to have even a shred of artistic worth
your head must be so far up your own ass that your stomach acid is dissolving your brain
>>
>>159390550
Well, it's my personal opinion. You don't have to like it.
If it bothers you that much feel free to argue your position.
>>
>>159390626
Not the same guy, but I'd say the actual artwork has a lot of merit to it even if you completely couldn't stand the story. The water colored pages are superb for instance.
>>
>>159391756
This argument boils down to the semantic distinction of what you'd call artistic worth.
I don't deny Yas has merit as an artist and animator but I don't judge the value of a work merely by its container.
Even if he is a good artist and has a distinctive style but I don't find his artwork so transcendent that it can express a meaningful idea simply by the merit of its own existence and I don't think I am being unfair to him by saying that.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.