[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Current State of DBS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12

File: vegeta.jpg (78KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
vegeta.jpg
78KB, 852x480px
To preface, I understand that this shit has been talked about to death, but hear me out.

Dragonball Super is garbage. I don't understand why people still defend the series.

-The animation is consistently bad, with very, very few exceptions. The fights have awful choreography and look like some shit animated on Newgrounds in 2004.

-The tension is completely absent. I'm no longer worried about whether Goku and company are going to win their fights. I remember watching DBZ as a kid and I feared for the Z fighters, I felt an urgency in their training, and a relief when they finally would defeat their foes.

-The character designs for the new characters are complete shit. They are lazy and childish. New characters are either recycled (i.e. Fem-broly, Goku Black, Frost, Champa etc.,) or completely stupid and boring (i.e. Fucking http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Iwen and http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Vermoud and http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Arak).

-The plot is drawn out like shit. They don't have any ideas that are interesting at all. A great example of this tiring shit is the Zamasu/Trunks arc. They not only reused Future Trunks, but he eventually became somehow on par with SSB Vegito, and when the fight was over and Zamasu became a literal 4th dimensional being, Goku pulled a deus ex machina and just called in Zeno.

I could go on, but these examples alone are enough to fucking push me to the edge with this series. This current arc began with lazy animation, countless reused animation, it was off model like usual, 13 min of filler, and is probably going to take a year to conclude. I was anticipating that they might have their shit together seeing on how drawn out the lead up to this arc was, but I guess I was wrong. Fuck Toei.
>>
>A show for children has childish character design, writing and plot

No shit
>>
>>159307737
I honestly never thought of it like that. I keep comparing DBS to DBZ and I didn't even consider that they may have been directing it to a different audience.
>>
>>159307469
>I remember watching DBZ as a kid and I feared for the Z fighters, I felt an urgency in their training, and a relief when they finally would defeat their foes.

That's because you were a child. Kids now felt the same tension about the Black arc.
>>
>>159307934
They're directing it to the same audience, you fucking nigger. You aren't part of that target audience anymore.
>>
>>159307975
THEN WHY IS DBZ STILL GOOD??
>>
File: Kiero.png (19KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
Kiero.png
19KB, 112x112px
>>159307469
Get lost Toyopedro and fuck off with your nostalgia blogposts.
>>
>>159308040
Is it?
>>
>>159307469
There's no use getting upset at new /a/'s abhorrent shit taste. The fact that regular thread are devoted to utter shit like Oreimo, Fairy Tail, or Rokudo no Onna-tachi should already be evidence.
Stop caring you autist
>>
Hey OP, do you complain about the latest seasons of Barney the Dinosaur focusing too much on those shitty kids and not depicting Barney's dinosaur powers too?
>>
>>159308198
>>159308198
DBZ isn't the only show I watch, I just happen to be a fan of Shonen fighting series, and was hoping that someone else might understand where I'm coming from
>>159308084
It may be nostalgia, but dbs deserves a lot more tender care to appeal to those clouded in nostalgia
>>159308273
Nigger there is a difference between a dinosaur that sings songs for children and muscly men screaming and beating the shit out of each other.
>>
File: 1494563678424.jpg (486KB, 800x1150px) Image search: [Google]
1494563678424.jpg
486KB, 800x1150px
>as a kid, I feared for the Z fighters.

Ya, you were a fucking kid. You just aren't a part of the target audience anymore. Super is no worse then Z, you just think Z was better because you watched it when you are part of the target audience
>>
>>159307469
>Z fighters
>talking about tension in fucking drag on ball
Dubfag spotted. I do hope you have read the source material at least.

While I am at it, anything Dragon Ball past Goku vs Piccolo in the martial arts tournament finale is hot garbage. Not only should it have ended there, it also just happens to make a better ending point than anywhere else in the original manga, especially over the lame ending set 10 years after the Buu arc. Saiyan saga is where it things begin to go down the shitter, although still the last place where there really is any tension, if only because of Piccolo stupidly dying and taking Kami with himself. Still something though. (Don't know anything about Super)

The anime starting from the saiyan saga is straight up garbage, and especially guilty of the increasing usage of padding to lengthen the fights (most notoriously the time spent with grunting, staring, and reaction shots from the ever present spectators). Original DB anime is passable in this regard, and features better story thanks to the source material.
>>
>>159308040
It's not. Watch the entire Namek saga again, especially the stupidly drawn out battle between Goku and Freeza, and honestly tell me, from an adult viewer's point of view, nostalgia-goggles off, that it's good.
>>
>>159308776
>>159308877
You're right about the original dub, as a kid the dub was good, and yeah its really drawn out but when I feel like re-watching DBZ I usually watch Kai. They cut out 100 percent of the bullshit in the re-release.
>>
>>159307469

The series fluctuates alot in quality, some arcs are good others are not. Either way, you should just drop it if you dislike it.
>>
the only good episode of dbz was the episode where goku and piccolo get drivers licenses
>>
When the fuck is it ending already, it's wasting a timeslot for another series.
>>
>>159307469
> I don't understand why people still defend the series.

Fuck off.
>>
>>159312854
Because another series might not make as much ratings and not sales as much merchandise. Super can surpass One Piece sometimes on TV ratings.
>>
Why is it impossible for people to understand that this show is only a few pegs above typical Shonen garbage (as was Dragon Ball Z)? I fucking love the show because I know that there's gonna be some dumb shit that comes prepacked in a Dragon Ball series, but at least Super doesn't take itself incredibly seriously, and there are some genuinely hype moments in it. We may never reach Goku vs. Majin Vegeta levels of kino, but the entertainment is there nonetheless. The show is fun as fuck.
>>
>>159307469
I only skimmed through your post but I'll say this anyway.
For every flavor of garbage out there there will always be someone with an apetite for it.
Also don't expect a soulless cashcow to be any good.
>>
Just read the Manga it's better
>>
File: Krillin v Goku.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Krillin v Goku.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>159307469
-The animation is not consistently bad

-The Zamasu arc is one of the best sagas of the entire series

-The character designs could be better yes, but character liks Hit, Beerus, and the Pride Troopers are amazing

-The plot is lighthearted like Dragonball, the comedy is hilarious at times like DB as well
>>
>>159307469
yep
tension and plot are out of the window
its such a bland shallow version of db and dbz

>>159307941
the old "you were a kid" excuse simpletons give
>>
>>159312854
>it's wasting a timeslot for another series.

Not according to how well the series has been selling since it came out and how well the ratings are.
>>
>>159313587
>The show is fun as fuck.
the plot moves so slowly that its not even fun in a trashy way, its just boring, and makes me feel 0 emotion when watching it
>>
>>159314875
>Zamasu arc is one of the best sagas of the entire series
how dumb do you have to be to think this

and lighthearted dragon ball still had moments of tension and drama
>>
>>159307469
The Z fighters never did anything after the Saiyan Saga. Only Goku, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo did anything noticeable. The only time that the Z warriors as a group was the third movie, and they all got their asses kicked by Turles.
>>
>>159316522
Eh, only the current arc is really slow and back to Z or Kai pacing. Every previous one was much faster paced.
>>
>>159316637
I have zero clue why people complain about people like Tien and Yamcha getting no focus. Tien and Chiaotzu were arc villains that stuck around for a bit with little focus and Yamcha's been a joke since early Dragon Ball.
>>
File: 1470951876369.png (1MB, 1100x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1470951876369.png
1MB, 1100x1200px
>>159308877
>confronted with how shit super is
>DB AND Z ALWAYS SUCKED ITS JUST NOSTALGIA I SUCK SOCKS
every time
>>
>>159316707
yamcha was a main character for the whole of DB, it was sad to see him just forgotten, also annoying like there was no payof. He never got his moment were he won a big fight or beat a bad guy.
and tien stuck around and went through all the training, it made you think he would tie into the plot somehow
>>
File: 1497075964143.webm (3MB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
1497075964143.webm
3MB, 800x400px
>>
>>159308877
some bits are drawn out yes
but there's still tension, its still interesting and has good fights
>>
>>159316707
People want to see the both of them get stronger and have fight scenes. Tien's worse because he's shown damaging Nappa's armor, and holding Semi-Perfect Cell down with only a Tri Beam.
>>
File: 1489847467107.webm (753KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
1489847467107.webm
753KB, 800x400px
>>159316832
>>
File: 1498212735686.webm (3MB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
1498212735686.webm
3MB, 800x400px
>>159316900
>>
>>159316832
>>159316900
>>159316959

The right looks better in all cases. You're clearly blinded by nostalgia.
>>
Wow, I can't believe a series you watched as a kid is better.
>>
File: jargon.png (136KB, 344x335px) Image search: [Google]
jargon.png
136KB, 344x335px
>The character designs for the new characters are complete shit.
Translation: I've only watched (keyword) Dragon Ball Z and don't know shit about Akira Toriyama outside of that.
>>
>>159316794
Do you really know what you are talking about?
Yamcha is only really present in the beggining arc and then in the three tournaments. He is absent for the Red Ribbon arc (it really is all about Goku anyways), and is almost as irrelevant for King Piccolo and Piccolo Jr where he gets little more than a short gag fight. No way he can even claim a main character status in DB, or elsewhere.
>>
File: 1480534392438.webm (3MB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
1480534392438.webm
3MB, 400x200px
>>159316959

>>159317009
well memed! xD
>>
File: 1491592714440.jpg (19KB, 592x354px) Image search: [Google]
1491592714440.jpg
19KB, 592x354px
>>159317009
another trip filtered
>>
>>159316900
Did Broadcasting Standards in Japan get strict over the years?
>>
>>159317009
Hey kid, if you're trying to impersonate a tripfaggot you're doing it wrong. You need to first crack his trip.
>>
File: ep002kamegrabj.jpg (11KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
ep002kamegrabj.jpg
11KB, 300x225px
>>159317122
Partially. Super airs in the morning, and I don't think any modern anime that isn't targeted towards teens has explicit scenes of women being groped.
>>
>>159316832

Left is better due to blood effects.

>>159316900

Both are actually shit if you look at them though right certainly looks cheaper due to not bothering to mask it the way left does.

>>159316959

There isn't even really a point of comparison here. Left doesn't have good animation, it just spams blue.
>>
>The tension is completely absent. I'm no longer worried about whether Goku and company are going to win their fights. I remember watching DBZ as a kid and I feared for the Z fighters, I felt an urgency in their training, and a relief when they finally would defeat their foes.

Sounds like you grew up and realized that it's fucking shounen, of course they'll eventually win.
>>
>>159317069
man don't be slitting hairs with me, there are arcs were other main characters don't appear
hes in about as many episodes as krillin is
>>
>>159317325
>Sounds like you grew up
grow a brain
>>
>>159308877
I'm a set of fresh eyes. Watched DBZ in its entirety for the first time last year. Haven't seen any of the movies. Haven't seen GT or any of DBS. I thought it was pretty cool. Interesting characters, interesting mythologies. A lot of dumb shit, but the fights were entertaining. I liked the Cell series the most but Namek was pretty fun and exciting, especially the first Super Saiyan Goku. Got bored with the 15 buu forms and fights, and Garlic Jr seemed completely unnecessary and also pretty boring, but other than that, good fun for a shounen.

Having not seen DBS and only going but what I see on /a/ and anime news sites, it seems like one of the major problems I had with DBZ, which was jumping the shark in the Buu series with all the super saiyans and transformations, has continued on and become completely ridiculous. Not sure I want to see that.
>>
>>159317515
How could you watch the Garlic Jr. Saga without watching the first movie?
>>
>>159317515
>Garlic Jr seemed completely unnecessary
that was a filler arc
>>
>>159313587
>kino
Go back to plebbit
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.