[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

judging animation quality using file size

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

File: 2017-06-28_19-04-09.png (27KB, 558x190px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-28_19-04-09.png
27KB, 558x190px
I have a theory - the larger the file of an anime episode, the higher is the quality of the animation. Since modern compression makes it so only the changes in a frame are actually saved, the more dynamic the episode - more backgrounds, less "powerpoint slide with only the mouth moving", the bigger the file size. For example, here's OPM. as you can see, it's easy to tell which episodes are filler and which got most of the budget - last episode and the first two stand out the most.
>>
>>159066689
By that logic KyoAni shows should have larger file sizes on average then. That might be the case.
>>
File: 2017-06-28_19-06-41.png (38KB, 571x209px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-28_19-06-41.png
38KB, 571x209px
Here's P&SwG, again, you can see which episode has half of it using the same background with limited animation (ep. 11)
>>
>>159066689
let's have some anon run statistic tests on it
>>
Would things like audio bit rate, or other production things affect the file size substantially?
>>
>>159066689
that'd mean that ufotable shows consistently have amazing animation. except they don't. they're good at their particle effects though
>>
File: 2017-06-28_19-10-44.png (49KB, 643x386px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-28_19-10-44.png
49KB, 643x386px
Also, here's KLK. The size of the files is rather similar, but I guess that makes sense. kill la kill didn't really have a truely shittly animated static full episode imo, instead of doing that they used limited animation all through the series and also implemented some very well animated scenes. I guess the transformation also helped beef up the file size, since KLK has one of the largest file size per episode (all of them are 1080p). Also, I guess audio compression also matters, but I think most of the data is taken by the video itself.
>>
File: Fate Zero.jpg (56KB, 412x307px) Image search: [Google]
Fate Zero.jpg
56KB, 412x307px
>>159066965
I've literally just finished downloading Fate Zero, the episodes are around 2GB each. They're bigger than the infamous CoalGirls CCS release for fucks sake.
>>
>>159067006
The detailed background art by Studio Pablo and effects like speedlines might bump up the bitrate too.
>>
All things being equal, higher filesize means more detail.
Problem is, more detail can be added in a variety of ways, many of which don't actually improve animation quality.

A common culprit these days is 3DCG scenes. You can get a heap of bitrate for any 3DCG scene regardless of the quality or contribution to the show.
For example in /ai/ shows, more bitrate just means there's a longer/second CG dance scene - often ones we've seen before. This week Pripara is going to be massive because everyone got on stage.

Another culprit that adds little/nothing to the show is film grain. Whack a flashback with film grain filter, and suddenly it's twice the size of every other ep.
>>
>>159066956
if CBR, no. if VBR, potentially, but only if the encoder determines that a specific section of audio needs more bitrate. for example, dialogue likely doesn't need special attention, but detailed BGM might
>>
>>159066689
Unless the episode has really detailed backgrounds, lots of particle effects or film grain.
Mostly true.
>>
File: 2017-06-28_19-23-14.png (62KB, 657x436px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-28_19-23-14.png
62KB, 657x436px
Here's Gurren Lagann. The series is famous for spending like 40% of it's already large budget on the last episodes. It was also criticzed after the first couple of episodes for bad animation (which caused some of the staff to call said critics on the forums "anus faces" or something similar, which got them replaced iirc) and it shows: last episode is two times larger than the first one, and they are the same length. also interesting is that the episodess' size grows in a rather linear fashion, which suits the "getting bigger motif" of the show.
>>
File: sizes.png (19KB, 960x106px) Image search: [Google]
sizes.png
19KB, 960x106px
As a counterpoint, and example of why 3DCG screws with this theory, here's some Pripara eps.

Ep 107 in the middle with the massive filesize should, according to this theory, have the highest budget and best animation quality.
It's a filler clip show. The high filesize is because it shows something like 5 CG dance scenes from previous eps.
>>
H264 encoding changed the game
>>
File: Untitled.png (40KB, 860x381px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
40KB, 860x381px
>>159067006
your dumb is showing.
crunchy for some time had been using constant bitrates. which what you're looking at.

>>159067061
ar is a fanboy.
>>
>>159067110
audio varies little and use little bitrate.
>>
File: 011-1 copy.png (52KB, 412x357px) Image search: [Google]
011-1 copy.png
52KB, 412x357px
Doesn't this really just depend on what encode you download?
>>
>>159067920
unless you download yify.
>>
another thing is if the episode is set at night throughout. it will compress more.
>>
>>159067781
Oh, yeah that makes sense. Why would anyone use constant bitrates for non streaming? it's just wasting/not enough data most of the time.
>>159068127
what?
>>
Thank you CoalGirls for ensuring that the quality of anime is always at maximum.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.