[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Digimon thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: 20thanniversary.png (928KB, 600x842px) Image search: [Google]
20thanniversary.png
928KB, 600x842px
It´s been 20 years since the first V-pet were released. It sold so well that various anime series and videogames were based on it.

What went good? What went wrong? Why is it still alive?
>>
>>158775545
>went good
Some series were good being Adventure

>went wrong
Doing something different from the Adventure Formula with a very bad cast of writers who can't make it work.
>>
File: 1350065615002.jpg (306KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1350065615002.jpg
306KB, 600x450px
>>158775545
>What went good?
Anime that generally consistently balanced the cool monster fights to keep people entertained, good use of music that sticks in the mind, and emphasis on characters and the monsters that endeared you to the characters and story rather than just mindlessly getting to the action. Though a lot of things ended up being different, there was usually something for everyone, and most of it was cool.

>What went wrong?
Inconsistent representation of the franchise across the games and anime. Yeah, the monsters were all there,but the games didn't have a consistent genre that you could trust, the shows kept changing characters and themes, and while a fan could maybe keep up and deal, it doesn't make it too casual friendly. Then there's the quality fluctuation.

>Why is it still alive?
It's a strong property with distinct designs and its hands in anime, manga, video games, all sorts of toys and the virtual pets. Being the "rival" to Pokemon also helps keep it somewhat relevant, since people at least remember it enough to compare, rather than Medabots which is either dead or always on its last breath.
>>
File: 1471406631436.jpg (363KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1471406631436.jpg
363KB, 2000x2000px
All that aside, Digimon Universe is pretty fun, no?
>>
Cant wait for my new 20th anniversary vpet to arrive
Never cared much for the anime seasons other than adventure which I rewatched and found kinda meh.
But still love the vpets and games
>>
>>158776260
The game was legit fun which is why I got into it, but I havent kept up with the anime and Im like 10 eps behind.
Dont care about the toys though they must be doing ok since they keep releasing new chips
>>
File: 1474469717276.jpg (53KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1474469717276.jpg
53KB, 500x500px
>>158776360
I only started on the anime a while ago, myself, so I'm pretty behind as well, only at episode 20~.
>>
>>158778068
It got pretty cool I just got distracted with other stuff.
Its a shame the characters barely evolve and Astra never stops with the noreru norenai crap.
Ill probably say by the end that it turned better than I expected.
>>
>>158776058
Agreed with pretty much all your points.

A big part of Digimon's appeal when I was a kid was that the main chosen children actually felt human, with real kid problems like divorce, trying to be a good sibling, not wanting the life their parents want for them.

Also agree with the quality fluctuation. I only know Adventure, 02, and Tamers but there were villain arcs that just sucked and some that were really engaging in all ways.
>>
>>158776260
Episode 37 was really good. Reminded me of Dark masters when they first appear.
>>
>>158775545
Basically what Digimon always did right is the story and adventure. It felt genuinely exciting watching these regular-ass kids work their way through these weird situations. There was no 'you get a license when you're 10, this is normal' jazz. Straight up improvisation, doing the best they could. the originals, the tamers, the holders of the spirits.. all great guys
i stopped watching after that. the new series all looked boring and dull
>>
>>158782722
You didnt miss much
Savers is horrible though xros wars is pretty good at times
>>
>>158783625

You got it backwards.
>>
>>158783680
>your opinion is wrong

I dont think so.
>>
File: childrens show2.gif (939KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
childrens show2.gif
939KB, 500x375px
>>158775545
>What went good?
>>
File: childrens show.gif (954KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
childrens show.gif
954KB, 250x187px
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.