[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unrealistic Portrayal of Guns in anime.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12

File: WHY IS MY GUN SO USELESS.jpg (96KB, 590x400px) Image search: [Google]
WHY IS MY GUN SO USELESS.jpg
96KB, 590x400px
There's only so far I can stretch my suspension of disbelief before I call bullshit.

I don't care if the setting is in a fantasy with magical powers.

If a character is portrayed as being human, and having no special powers to stop bullets or prevent them from hurting you, why the hell are guns always either completely inaccurate or shrugged off like they didn't even hurt at all?

How can you hit someone with a sword and kill them, and hit someone with a bullet and it doesn't even phase them?

How do people dodge bullets but can't dodge a big 2 foot wide sword paddle?

What kind of training academy do these fucking soldiers go to that they can't hit a bunch of high schoolers traveling at a slightly above average speed?

What kind of paste eating retards are being hired at these super secret government organizations?

OR, my favorite trope of all, the character is fucking RIDDLED WITH BULLETS, but somehow is still walking around.

NO, I don't care if by some miracle NONE of your vital spots got hit, there is no way you're standing up after becoming Swiss cheese like that.

1/2 (theres a second post so hold on fags)
>>
File: cover.png (673KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
673KB, 1280x720px
>>158024127
The same goes for magic shields. Ok, I understand that a magic shield blocks attacks.

But with people using high caliber assault rifles against them? Really? These aren't fucking paintballs. This shit will fucking kill you.

But a sword can break through that same magic barrier no fucking problem. You just have to swing it hard

Or how about? "My armor/cape/McGuffin blocks bullets." Well ok, but if it's powerful enough to stop bullets, why can't it block the far slower and less impactful sword?

Do these fucking idiots not KNOW HOW PHYSICS WORK? Do they not realize the speed at which a bullet travels? What kind of matrix gravity defying bullshit it actually takes to dodge a bullet in midair?

HURR GUNZ ARE SO WEAK HURR. SWORDS ARE BETTER THAN GUNZ CAUSE THEY POINTY AND SHIEET.

Just once, just FUCKING ONCE, I wanna see an anime that portrays guns realistically, and not treating every gun like it's a fucking peashooter.

2/2
>>
>>158024127
Burger, it's pass your bedtime.
Go to bed and don't bother to watch cartoons not pandering to you.
>>
>>158024127
>>158024162
Its fiction mate, calm down.
>>
Japanese people hate guns and love swords. They think fighting spirit will overcome science and reality. This is why they lost ww2 and couldn't even defeat China, a nation full of peasants throwing rocks at them
>>
Stop watching fantasy shit. The japs can't do fantasy to save their fucking life.
>>
>>158024290
>Small ass country with no resources expecting to conquer a country many many times their size

Yeah the imperial conquest was doomed to fail from the start.
>>
tl;dr OP has seen maybe 4 shows, counting babby shows when he was in kindergarden, and is complaining about one of them, probably SAO S2, which he doesn't want to admit since he already knows that show was shit. Lurk more, watch Ghost in the Shell, where people disintegrate into clouds of blood when shot by guns, or any of about 1000 other shows where everyone is rekt by guns.

I'm only responding to this terrible thread because I actually believe OP is sincere, is 14, and I wish to help him.
>>
>>158024127
Jesus Christ, this is some autism. And why are your posts spaced like that?
>>
I think you'd enjoy watching Guns in Urobuchi's works. Why use magic when you can use a gun? The enemy mage can block bullets? Time to use a bigger gun. A guy tries to use his magic powered kung fu to punch a bullet out of the air and regrets it immediately.
>>
>>158024127
>>158024162
Is this the legendary "reddit spacing" I've heard so much about lately?
>>
>>158024368
is this the reddit spacing I've heard so much about?
>>
Man, I'd love to see this guy watch Star Wars.
>>
>>158024393

I'm assuming this thread will get nuked. Is placing a gap between the quoted post and the text, like this post, also reddit spacing or just people being retarded? I've only noticed people doing it recently and it somewhat annoys me
>>
>>158024127
Rule Of Cool

That's about it.
>>
>>158024414
Maybe I'm misremembering but it seems like anytime anyone gets shot in star wars they pretty much die immediately, except leia getting shot in the arm in return of the jedi.

Hell, there was a whole maybe 30 minute block in the last prequel that just shows jedi getting rekt by guys with rifles
>>
>>158024443
looks pretty reddit to me, you should be careful
>>
>>158024461
thanks tvtropes
>>
>>158024360
Not OP, but I just started watching votoms and it's really funny how much this applies to it. Like the bad guys firing automatic weapons manage to shoot a perfect silhouette around the main character without actually hitting him. I mean I know it's common to any media real or anime where they have people fire guns but don't want to cut the story short by being realistic, but it's kind of annoying when it's so obvious.
>>
>>158024443
Fuck if I know, it's a new meme and an insult so most people aren't going to be using it correctly. I've had my posts called "reddit spacing" because I put a return between individual quotes and responses, or different paragraphs, but that's only happened once so who knows.

All I know is I fucking hate when retards like OP put a return after every single fucking line. Who the fuck does that shit? Why do they do it? Is something wrong with their brains? I guess it's just a mystery we'll never have the answers too.
>>
>>158024542
That site is a useful tool, if you don't mind getting lost for weeks at a time in it.
>>
>>158024127
They can barely move their bodies properly, what makes you think something as specific as guns or any super specific niche that 99% of viewers don't care about is going to get portrayed accurately? Nobody gives a shit and deep down know you don't either. So just strap in and enjoy the ride.
>>
>>158024568
Chirico is a very, very lucky guy. That's actually a plot point
Tons of other characters have the same stuff happen though so it doesn't really excuse the show.
>>
Welcome to anime, enjoy your stay, faggot.
>>
File: 1487155418564.jpg (46KB, 634x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1487155418564.jpg
46KB, 634x1000px
>>158024127
Oh, you'll love this scene then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5-hthd39wM
>>
>>158024658
it's a brainwashing website that teaches you to think only with memes instead of actual insight or intelligence
>>
>>158024812
But anon, all language is memes.
>>
>>158024127
Magic and dragons ain't got shit against good old TOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZovVnSGzXo
>>
>>158025056
it's not, but spending too long on 4chan can give you that impression
>>
>>158025109

Only in GATE setting, in other setting, TOW can't make a single dent in armor of a knight.
>>
File: 1487179189764.jpg (139KB, 1680x1193px) Image search: [Google]
1487179189764.jpg
139KB, 1680x1193px
>>158024127
Get your fantasy army getting murdered by modern weaponry right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjLuYDf-VAY
>>
File: 1447129844200.png (78KB, 330x180px) Image search: [Google]
1447129844200.png
78KB, 330x180px
>>158025155
But if symbolic concepts such as words aren't memes, what are they?
>>
>>158024127
>phase
*faze

Now I know to disregard anything you post.
>>
It's about vidya rather than anime, but this video touches on some of the principles that cross over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os3lWIuGsXE

In short, a sword or other melee weapon is a channel for the user's own powerlevel. The harder and faster you swing a sword, the more damage it does. And powerlevels can skyrocket with enough WILLPOWER

Meanwhile a gun is a tool, a mechanism that deals damage independently of the powerlevel of its user. The user only triggers a mechanism that deals a fixed damage. There is no room for TRAINING ARCS and WILLPOWER and BELIEVING IN YOUR FRIENDS and KI.
>>
Remember. guns and plate armor are completely useless. I explain it by economics. I assume both are produced in the same fiendish realm at the lowest possible quality and price. From there, it's easy to conclude that villains who are evil and stupid would naturally buy such worthless crap as equipment for their goons.
Competent goons are the bane of any big bad's fate and they dread it more than anything else.
>>
File: nutbladder.jpg (828KB, 993x10000px) Image search: [Google]
nutbladder.jpg
828KB, 993x10000px
>>158024393
>>158024406
This reddit spacing meme has to die. Using extra line breaks to increase readability instead of long walls of text is basic formatting that has been used since the earliest days of the site. Pic related, an infamous thread from 2007. Notice the presence of your "reddit spacing" bogeyman.
>>
>>158025512
>>158024443
The Reddit spacing shit started out to mean stuff like OP, where you just make every sentence or two into a separate paragraph (with spaces in between) for no fucking reason, which is actually retarded, and then it spiraled into "any time someone uses an extra empty line at all," which is completely inoffensive.
>>
>>158025569
If you want my opinion, I blame an increase in translations of light novels. Light novels have a line break after every single sentence in Japanese, and dumb translators carry this over to English instead of reformatting it to have paragraphs.
>>
>>158025569
My theory is that it is because of the rise of phoneposting. If you're on your phone, a narrow screen, a single sentence can look like a paragraph and you instinctively start a new paragraph.
>>
Guns ain't got shit on someone who can wield a 6ft 400lbs sword and move faster than a bullet.
>>
>>158025512
It's not a boogeyman though, OP's post is the opposite of good formatting and should be discouraged in the strongest possible terms.
>>
>>158025645
>If you want my opinion, I blame an increase in translations of light novels
people do it on every board, it has nothing to do with anime
>>
>>158025767
Yeah >>158025701 makes more sense
>>
>>158025512
>people did it when I was bab so it's OK now
neckbleach yourdrinkself loser
>>
File: 1111111111112.jpg (77KB, 345x243px) Image search: [Google]
1111111111112.jpg
77KB, 345x243px
>>158025863
>>
>>158025512
That's really weird people were talking about ebola in 2007.

>>158025701
Phoneposting is the true enemy.
>>
>>158024127
You have to understand that guns ruined combat. They are too easy to obtain and too efficient. You can't do much with that.
>>
>>158025925
Ebola was talked about for ages because somehow (probably from some pop sci show or something) it was popularized as a super scary virus that made you bleed out of every orifice that was 101% deadly and there was no cure. I remember distinctly reading posts about it on some forums I visited in the early days of web 2.0 with the main message being "stay the fuck away from Africa it is a dark continent full of horrors"
>>
>>158026025
I'm hoping genetic research will fix this. I've already got pretty realistic designs for muscle enhancements.
>>
>>158025701
I occasionally Reddit space just because of the default size of the quick reply window. It's fucking annoying.
>>
>>158025925
Tom Clancy used Ebola as a plot point in his novel Executive Orders in 2001.
>>
>>158026047
Because it is a super virus that will kill you.
It will melt your fucking organs and the liquified remains will flow out of your body.

There is no fucking vaccine for this shit because your body once infected will begin to fall apart.

Ebola is not something to fuck around with.
>>
File: Biomega-076.jpg (922KB, 1223x1834px) Image search: [Google]
Biomega-076.jpg
922KB, 1223x1834px
>>158026079
Destructive technology is always going to outpace defensive technology anon simply because it's always easier to destroy something than build something up. Even when you get your muscle enhancements and military grade augmentations someone is going to come out with a mass driver that can fit in someone's palm and blow through foot thick steel plate.
>>
>>158026079
You do realise that even if you somehow manage to create tougher humans, projectile weapons are also being constantly improved? We're probably not even that far from weird shit like pain emitters or sonic frequencies that make people's brains shut down being in widespread everyday use.
>>
File: Rikidou_during_battle.png (413KB, 674x380px) Image search: [Google]
Rikidou_during_battle.png
413KB, 674x380px
I've always looked at it as; you can swing a sword harder, but you can't shoot a bullet harder.
Someone 400 lbs of pure muscle could probably do more damage with a baseball bat than I can; but we are equal when using a gun. So I feel like someone who can punch hard enough to break through bedrock does more damage than me with a .22 pistol
>>
>>158024162
If someone was superhuman they could swing for more force than a bullet. F=MA
>>
>>158026079
>>158026301
there are guns that can pentrate humans several times over even if you were made of steel
>>
>>158026301
We're at the point the US military is putting together railgun naval ships and getting ready to implement laser anti-missile systems with prototype laser cannons for next generation fighter jets along with missile pods filled with swarm missiles.

Fucking yukikaze and macross is becoming real life. Unless someone discovers how to make humans into demi-gods through genetic manipulation there's no hope.
>>
>>158026301
>pain emitters
We already have something like this. Microwave arrays can shoot a frequency which causes people to feel like they are being cooked. The us military version is called the "Active Denial System". A (likely embellished) decription taken from someone it was tested on:
>For the first millisecond, it just felt like the skin was warming up. Then it got warmer and warmer and you felt like it was on fire. ... As soon as you're away from that beam your skin returns to normal and there is no pain."

Don't know if there's any precedent for sonic weapons doing anything to the brain though. I mean you can shoot really loud beams of sound at people, but I think intentionally damaging hearing is against some weapons treaty.
>>
>>158026477
Sound/sonic cannons are one of those weapon types that are banned due to unusual cruelty. That's why the NYPD is being blasted right now and sued to shit because they used sound cannons on protestors.

Cluster bombs are also technically banned but the only two nations that developed them when the ban was put forward and continue to use them regularly never agreed to the ban in the first place so it's a toothless treaty.
>>
>>158026329
You don't even have to be superhuman, small arms projectiles don't actually have particularly large amounts energy in them. They are destructive because all that energy is put into a very small point which easily punches through flesh/armor, then fragments/blossoms into smaller points which rip and tear internal organs needed to sustain life.
>>
>>158026477
I know that the pain emitter exists, but it hasn't been normalised yet. 'Sonic' is probably incorrect but there probably really is research into remotely making people 'shut down' by generating some kind of a field or a frequency.
>>
>>158026607
It's possible to generate electrical signals in the brain by hitting it with some interfering electromagnetic waves (this is the principle behind recent advances in deep brain Transcranial magnetic stimulation) but I don't know if that is advanced or accurate enough to disable someone entirely.

Though there's all sorts of interesting things about the brain and electrical fields we are now discovering. For instance visual hallucinations such as random spots of light (consistent with reports of ball lightning actually) can be induced with electrical fields, and it's believed that certain electrical fields can cause people to experience paranoia and such, so I suppose anything is possible.
>>
>>158026079
>invent material that can stop bullets, finally true bullet proof vests are upon us like in the animus i've fapped to my whole life!
>someone puts it in a bullet instead
wat do
>>
>>158027168
Nigga that's not how bulletprofing materials work. Bulletproofing is not all about hardness but about absorbing/redirecting energy. Future generations of bulletproofing/bullet resistance are probably going to be based around meta materials or novel combinations of meta materials that are harder to punch through rather than just making a harder steel alloy. I mean like you don't punch through a Kevlar vest by packing bunch of Kevlar into a brass casing, you do it by putting more energy into a pointier package.
>>
>>158027168
Have cellular structure that can become like liquid when it experiences collisions of high speeds. Instead of trying to stop the bullet, be able to move with the flow of the bullet and dampen the inertia. Kind of like Luffy, instead of being bulletproof he's so malleable that he just moves along with whatever hard objects hit him.
>>
>>158027309
>Slip and fall off the roof
>Turn into a pool of tang when you hit the ground
Great idea.
>>
File: Gasaraki_03.jpg (56KB, 648x426px) Image search: [Google]
Gasaraki_03.jpg
56KB, 648x426px
>>158024127
But people die to guns all the time in mecha series, even in Gundam being shot by Zaku 120mm bullet can kill any GM pilot.
>>
>>158027424
Obviously it reforms momentarily, dumbass. And it would only liquefy locally, it's not like your entire body would turn into a puddle if you stubbed your toe really hard.
>>
If your defense relies on being really fucking hard, obviously it can be destroyed by something even harder. But if your defense relies on perfect shock absorption, absolutely nothing can destroy you. In the case of the unstoppable force vs the unbreakable object, the solution is simply to have a material with 100% shock absorption.
>>
>>158024127
Akame kills with one cut.
>>
>>158027682
Or just go faster.
>>
Guns are the weapon for cunts
>>
1. Guns are hard as fuck to be accurate with, especially on a moving target. People in shit countries trying to hit things with their ak miss 90% of the time.
2. Dune, swords are just sl9w enough not to cause the magic shield transform into a nuke.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.