[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can Koe no Katachi compete with sakuga like this? Kyoani

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

File: 1495596395029.webm (3MB, 720x403px) Image search: [Google]
1495596395029.webm
3MB, 720x403px
How can Koe no Katachi compete with sakuga like this? Kyoani got outmatched in every regard by none other than Shinkai.
>>
>>157673883
Fancy effects don't take much skill. Koe no Katachi's character animation is superior.
>>
>>157673992
That is actually watercolor animation, and Your Name has many cuts with amazing character animation as well, much better than Koe's at the very least. Don't try to pretend Koe is not inferior to Shinka's movie as far as animation goes, industry veterans and legends worked on it, there's just no comparison to be made.
>>
>>157674044

It really isn't
>>
>>157673883
>>157674044
>no comparison to be made
Then stop comparing it.
>>
>>157673883
Literally Forced Animation The Movie
>>
How come Kyoani doesn't have a single renowned animator working with them, well aside from Kigami but as far as veterans he's on the lowest tier.
>>
>>157674280
Because they're a studio that breeds talent and they don't hire anyone 21+.
>>
>>157674400
How come that talent stays mediocre and never become household names?
>>
>>157674419
Because you are looking at the industry through an incredibly narrow scope of the present day. Becoming a talent is not something that takes 5 or even 10 years.
>>
>>157674493
Bahi is more of a household name than all Kyoani animators combined though
>>
How can Kimi no Na wa compete with this?
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/28149
>>
>>157674280
KyoAni doesn't need charisma animators with inflated egos. Kigami is only known because he was notable before joining KyoAni but the newer generation have been trained at the studio so there is no need for them to show off to get their name out there. They work as a cohesive unit.
>>
>>157674562
meh, very basic and loose shapes. Your name wins since it was more detailed.
>>
>>157674581
>charisma animators with inflated egos
>they work as a cohesive unit

And that's supposed to be a good thing? Even Disney had its Nine Old Men. Being anonymous parts of "a cohesive unit" with only Walt's name in the credits was part of the reason they went on a strike from which they arguably never recovered.

I guess kyoanus is the Disney of anime in more ways than one.
>>
>>157674562
>draw messy shit
>sakugatards lap it up
Of course it's always the flashy bullshit that impresses brainlets.
>>
>>157674689
Haha no animator's craft is more complex than Ohira's.
>>
>>157674770
Whoever made that shot int the OP is.
>>
>>157674858
Shinkaifags really are delusional, always posting the same unimpressive cut
>>
>>157674719
>And that's supposed to be a good thing?
Yes.
>>
File: comet.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
comet.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>157673883
both knk and knnw are good, can we agree on just that
>>
>>157674719
KyoAni also have named and praised certain animators during interviews and commentary but the point is, they don't need to be a bunch of tryhards in their work. Their good animation doesn't stand out in a way that clashes with the rest of the episode unlike other productions because they know that at the end of the day, they have consistent employment and don't have to struggle to stand out among their peers.
>>
>>157674954
But then what will we argue about?
>>
>>157674934
Not him but I see both pros and cons in that situation. One of the cons is none of their new animators have a style of their own, they just follow the KyoAni way, they don't seem to be challenged all that much.
>>
>>157673883
Animation isn't important, compelling histories and characters are.
heck i'd say characters are 100% the only thing that matters, no one cares about plot contrivances if the characters are engaging.
>>
>>157674977
Essentially saying kyoani is a communist studio forcing animators to never surpass their peers.
>>
>>157675200
to say animation is not important in an animated medium is plain wrong. Sure stories and characters will always be more important in any fictional medium but people wouldn't even be watching anime if they didn't care for visuals.
>>
>>157675200
>characters are 100% the only thing that matters, no one cares about plot contrivances if the characters are engaging
No.
>>
>>157675200
Projecting a little bit there bud

People care about the shit you dismiss plenty, in fact many normalfags argue that anime is shit compared to /tv/ because anime is so expository and plot centric while 3D focuses on characters. That's why anime SOL tends to focus on atmosphere and the moe factor because they just can't compete with /tv/ soap operas when it comes to characters.
>>
File: IRC Crew's Modus Operandi.png (27KB, 642x1083px) Image search: [Google]
IRC Crew's Modus Operandi.png
27KB, 642x1083px
>>157673883
>>
File: knk1242209.webm (3MB, 720x389px) Image search: [Google]
knk1242209.webm
3MB, 720x389px
>>157675200
Koe no Katachi does seem to have a bit more emotion mixed in with their animation
>>
>>157676672
Animating emotions is KyoAni's greatest strength.
>>
File: 1495485494802.webm (3MB, 720x389px) Image search: [Google]
1495485494802.webm
3MB, 720x389px
>>157676703
indeed
>>
>>157676672
I can't wait to watch Your Name as I have yet to see any semblance of balanced criticism by someone who has seen both. It feels like it's two shit-flinging fanboy camps larping at each other across a movie theater parking lot.

I've only seen Koe no Katachi and while the film has its flaws that I have no trouble conveying, the one thing you can't give it shit for is it's cell animation. It's not that it is or isn't flawless - it's that it's impeccably subtle and nuanced in detail that conveys far more emotion and character than should be possible. I love the "criticism" that Anime + girls legs = Yamada. It's true- but here is the thing, she not only gets women/girls on a level no other animator has, but she can consistently tell stories and emotion with much less than is needed by others.

She still has a ways to go to reach her peak as a director- but she embodies nothing but potential at this moment. It's a shame that so many want to shit on that just out of fanboy spite. All it does is reveal to those with no stakes how fucking ignorant they are.

Just like artists need to learn early in their careers to take and weather criticism - I feel like fans of an art medium need to learn to appreciate effort and beauty after their criticisms are made and heard.
>>
File: 21-Gen.jpg (13KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
21-Gen.jpg
13KB, 360x270px
>>157677017
I hope there are more people like you in the world.
>>
>>157676672
>you have to wait at least 2 years for a new yamada film
>>
>>157676764
hot
>>
>>157676672
Is this stiffly-animated nonsense supposed to be good?
>>
>>157677017
>It's a shame that so many want to shit on that just out of fanboy spite.
In most cases on /a/ it's not out of fanboy spite, it's actually just >>157675889
It works.
>>
>>157676672
Oh boy. It's more blur, bloom, and zoom from Kyoani. Put more sparkles in when you have to feel something and cut away with a pan so you don't actually have to animate characters. Zoom in on someone's eye and then blur everything except the pupil so it's "deep."
>>
>>157677734
What's stiff about it?
>>
>>157677755
>>157677859
>these two posts back to back
>>157675889
>filename
Poetry.
>>
>>157677880
Just look at the way she moves; where is the squash and stretch? How about the secondary action? She's moving stiffly from pose-to-pose.
>>
>>157673883
>muh sakuga
>>
>>157673883

How the fuck is that sakuga?
>>
File: AnimalHouse_141Pyxurz.jpg (194KB, 1600x1198px) Image search: [Google]
AnimalHouse_141Pyxurz.jpg
194KB, 1600x1198px
>>157677880
>>
>>157677989
Oh, but Kinoani's too good for squash and stretch. That's why they have to drown everything in bloom effects.
>>
>>157677989
Why would there be squash and stretch in that scene?
>>
>>157678838
Because it i a fundamental principle of animation?
>>
>>157676672
This is some amazing, fluid animation.
>>157679074
KyoAni has the skill to make fluid animation without squash and stretch, so it's objectively better/more realistic if they don't use it.
>>
>>157676672
Honest question, what is so good about this? It looks pretty standard to me.
>>
>>157679074
It's a fundamental principle of Disney style animation, i.e. cartoony stuff, not animation that tries to be semi realistic with its character movements.
>>
>>157673883
This scene really wowed me, I was blown away when it came up in theatres. Didn't expect anything like this in a Shinkai movie. A Silent Voice was pretty much front-to-back impressive, what a beautiful film.
>>
I miss sakuga shitposting.
>>
>>157680978
But lack of squash and stretch is why they move like mannequins here. If you try to exactly match human movement in animation, it usually looks stiff and unnatural (hence why rotoscoping usually falls into the uncanny valley). You have to exaggerate motions.
>>
>>157682114
Well, you have it now.
>>
>>157682271
>they move like mannequins here
They don't and you're transparently criticizing KyoAni for (You)s.
>>
By having a good plot based off a critically acclaimed manga, instead of literally being a copypasta turned into a film.
A bit of sakuga doesn't compensate for approximately two hours' worth of shitty characters in a shitty film with poor cinematography.
Literally any KnK characters are better than Taki or Mitsuha from Kimi no Na wa. Even Pedro has more depth and is more likeable than those two, combined.
>>
>start a normal Kimi no Na Wa thread
>barely any replies
>bait thread like this
>shit ton of replies

Why do I even bother?
>>
>>157674954
You've seen it once, you've seen it a million times.
KyoAni's animators are much better than the people over at ComixWave Films at subtly conveying emotion through animation.
Shinkai films have pretty looking animation and visuals, but they have no real meaning. They're like landscape photographs. On the other hand, TV series and films made by KyoAni are a bit more like artistic photography, in the sense that they're embedded with meaning.
>>
>>157684523
Don't give up mate, thread creation is an art. You'll get it one day.
>>
>>157684632
Thread creation rule #1: mention KyoAni for (You)s. It almost always works.
>>
>>157673883
Well duh, Your Name is literally half the industry's best talents assembled together, do you realize how many big name animators are in the credits?

The fact that it even occurred to you to pit Kyoani's team of few veterans and mostly homegrown animators against Your Name shows how far they've come. I expect them to continue improving even after KnK.
>>
Kizumonogatari is better-animated than both.
>>
>>157673883
The animation director for this film was Masahiro Ando, a legend in the field, and most of the animating staff are former Ghibli animators. It was to be expected that it'd look great. Actually, I think the main reason why Kimi no Na Wa was so successful is because of the Ghibli guys who worked on it. The directing was typical of Shinkai and not that impressive and the script had a lot of problems, especially in the second half.
>>
>>157674044
This is the first Shinkai movie with nice animation, and it's because former Ghibli staff worked on it (ad well as legendary animators from Production I.G.), not because of Shinkai.
>>
>>157675200
>Animation isn't important,
Wrong. Animation is the main reason why Kimi no Na Wa was so successful compared to the other Shinkai films. Ghibli craftsmanship for a non-Ghibli story.
>>
>>157677989
You use words you do not understand. All those techniques are present in that cut.
>>
>>157678838
There is squash and stretch in that scene. Stop taking what someone is saying at face value. The guy has no idea what he's talking about.
>>
>>157687347
>Animation is the main reason why Kimi no Na Wa was so successful compared to the other Shinkai films.
It's probably a drawing factor but I wouldn't call it the main reason. The story is an interesting twist on the body swap plot device with a feel good Hollywood-ish ending. It's extremely accessible compared to his more melancholy works, which aren't known for their animation but are known to have great art (even though Garden of Words had both great art and animation).
>>
>>157674954
I haven't seen Your Name yet but the cinematography in this scene seems really forced and awkward, there's literally no reason to do a pan like.
>>
All shinkai movies are shit NEET bait. WAHH MY EMOTIONS. I CANT TELL THIS GIRL THAT I LIKE HER, OH WOE IS ME.

Garbage
>>
Haven't seen either but that's legit impressive.
>>
>>157687555
I disagree. Character acting really made this work. The story is very wonky. Things like a happy ending is not enough to draw someone in or make them appreciate if the delivery is poor. Inio Asano is one of my favourite mangaka for example, yet Shinkai ealrier films left me unimpressed. Their characters came off as lifeless, again, due to poor animation (especially 5cm/s). Garden of Words has impressive backgrounds and a couple of neat shots (and an awful cringey script).

I really do believe that Shinkai is a lousy filmmaker.
>>
>>157687879
No, not even him it's definitely the story being a feel good happy ending that made this more successful. I'm sure the much improved animation would help to some extent but the film had a story and style of storytelling that was fundamentally more mainstream friendly than his usual work. If the same animators had worked instead on 5cm/s you wouldn't have suddenly had an international hit anime. Just 5cms with improved animation.
>>
>>157688141
>If the same animators had worked instead on 5cm/s you wouldn't have suddenly had an international hit anime
You would have had an anime that was vastly more successful than 5cm/s was. All things in perspective, if Kimi no Na Wa didn't have this high animation standard it wouldn't have been any more successful than a Hosoda film AT BEST (my guess is it would not have made half what Summer Wars made, for example. Hosoda films have nice animation.)

Animation is the je ne sais quoi that made Your Name what it is.
>>
>>157688707
that would have been vastly more succesful than 5cm/s was*
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.