[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So we all agree that 5 cm per second was better than your name, right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 15

So we all agree that 5 cm per second was better than your name, right?
>>
>>157413873
Shut the fuck up you fucking faggot i'll fucking kill you
>>
File: 1494470857604.png (112KB, 365x368px) Image search: [Google]
1494470857604.png
112KB, 365x368px
hah! you're funny anon
>>
>>157413873
>So we all agree that a pile of shit is better than a heap of shit, right?
>>
>>157413873
Theyre the same movie except one has freaky friday and a good end and the other has a bad end

kimi no na wa was so much better you fucking faggot what is wrong with you
>>
>surpassed spirited away
>surpassed spirited away
>surpassed spirited away
>>
>>157413961
shit you're cool
>>
One more time, one more chance.
Shit hits really hard
Shinkai must have had quite a teenage life
>>
>>157414408
We have to move on.
>>
>>157413873
Did it bother anyone else how similar the e d was to the 2 movies...like it was literally the same ending with one being happy and the other being sad
>>
>>157414898
yeah but the ed was similar but the thing it wasn't three disjointed stories

his movies all feel kinda similar
>>
>>157413873
For me Your Name was a more enjoyable film (especially if you compare the endings), but I liked the atmosphere and ambient mood of 5cm/s a lot more.
>>
>>157415061
Your name was better made film. 5 cm/s felt too disjointed, it was good, but he learned a lot from 5 cm and your name benefited because of it
>>
>>157413873
Your Name had better OST, Garden of Word had better scene. 5cm/s had better message though.
>>
Garden of words > Your Name = 5 Centimeters >[power gap] > voice of a distant star > Children who chase lost voices > Place promised.
>>
>>157415168
>>157415178
Should i watch garden of words if ive seen your name and 5 cm?
>>
>>157415314

It's one hour short movie you might as well.
>>
>>157415314
Yeah, but it has a simpler plot and story than the other two.
>>
>>157413873
>5 NTR per sec is better than your name

Just no op.
>>
>>157415420
Kissa girl when your 12. 15 years later, havent seen her since, and she marries someone else

>ntr

Ok anon
>>
>>157415314
It has Cake, Foot and great crying scene.
>>
>>157415314
If you liked them, of course.
>>
>>157415178
I have a soft spot for VoaDS. It's my favorite Shinkai movie, though it's probably not his best by any objective measure.
>>
>>157413873
Of course, by far. 5cm/s is my favorite of his works, with your name being my least favorite
>>
>>157413961
>I am a man of refined tastes. Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Cowboy Bebop, the list goes on...
>>
The ending song was better for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcRlGlu199o
>>
Your name
>90 minutes of romance, comedy, good feels, cute visual etc

5 cm
>60 minutes of a retard who can move past his childhood sweetheart

nah OP
>>
>>157415061
>(especially if you compare the endings)
The ending was the weakest part and this is coming from someone who loved the movie. 15-20 minutes of screentime that could have been better spent on character growth and reflection wasted on a borderline AVM disgustingly saccharine "emotional buildup" to something literally everyone knew how the outcome to. All this after the great climax that was the town evacuation and their meeting on the hill. What a crock of shit. Honesttly would have ruined the entire movie for me had the rest of it not been so great.
>>
>>157415672
Oh no I also have a soft spot to it, but it does have a lot of flaws, I still tear up at the ending song though.
>>
>>157413873
Dunno. They're pretty different stories that stand well enough on their own you don't have to go comparing them.

>>157414408
One more time, one more chance hits harder than the songs in Kimi no Na wa, and Tenmon were great, but Shinkai is always on point with the music on his movies and Kimi no Na wa isn't an exception.

>>157415178
>beyond the clouds last
What are you even doing nigger?
>>
>>157414408
You see the train represented time. When boy kun had been wasting his life in search of girl chan all these years, and when he thought he saw her, he waited in place for girl chan. Girl chan had been living freely all this time, and when she thought she saw boy san, she wasnt obsessing over the past like boy senpai.

She continued on, living her own life.

When the train was gone, boy rama sama realized that girl san was unburdened by her desire for an unobtainable desire. He realized that she had been living his life, and came to the realization that it was time for him to do the same
>>
>>157415859
Post the good one at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqFftJDXii0
>>
>>157413873
>So we all agree that 5 cm per second was emotional manipulative like your name, right?
ftfy
>>
>>157416148
Weak bait. Try harder.
>>
File: 5cm per second 2.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px)
5cm per second 2.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Haven't watched 5cm in a long time, but I remember thinking I would have liked it more if the MC actually tried to find the girl and get with her again rather than just stare at his cellphone. Loved some of the art though
>>
>>157416501
It was about moving on, instead of wasting your time chasing a child hood fantasy.

I agree that it was a lot sadder, but had a much more meaningful impact
>>
Takaki is a nigger for rejecting the brown girl
>>
>>157413902
You had better do what he says, OP
>>
>>157413873
no shit
>>
>>157416501
It wasn't so much like that.

While he was still fixated on the girl from his past they had both fallen out of communicating with each other.
For him it was the difficulty of starting conversation with someone you haven't talked to in a long time.

He COULD have contacted her. She hadn't moved and I am pretty sure he had her number on his phone but he just didn't send the messages to her.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (40KB, 480x360px)
hqdefault.jpg
40KB, 480x360px
>>157413873
>>
>you will never be in love with a real person who loves you back
>>
>>157414205
Therefore it's shit.
>>
File: 1470961263507.jpg (65KB, 566x478px) Image search: [Google]
1470961263507.jpg
65KB, 566x478px
>>157415178
5cm/s manga > Beyond the Clouds > 5cm/s > Hoshi no Koe > Kimi no Nawa > Kanojo no Neko > Hoshi wo ou Kodomo > Cram school advertisement > real estate advertisement > Kotonoha no Niwa
>>
>>157419177
Oh no, wait, it's actually
... > real estate advertisement > ef: A fairy tale of the two OP cutscene > Kotonoha no Niwa
>>
>>157419177
>>157419318
Could you be anymore pretentious and gay
>>
>>157419348
>pretentious
Stop using words which meaning you don't understand
>gay
only when I'm wearing a dress
>>
I don't know
>>157419348 and (me) cutie, let's try it out.
>>
>>157413873
Your Name > Garden of Words > 5cm

They're all great though
>>
5 cm/sec is garbage.

Like, its not romantic to sit around longing after someone. Its fucking stupid.
>>
>>157419498
Kind of like your life
>>
>>157413873
Your Name was by far an easier watch. You can chuck that film on, lie back, and enjoy it. You have to be ready to engage with 5cm/s, but when you do it surpasses Your Name artistically by miles.
5cm/s shows us something real that Your Name just utterly fails to. In many ways, Your Name is a touching stories about two lovers, but it's lacking any real depth. Two magical teenagers forge a bond, forget about it, sit on their arses for 5ish years, and are magically rewarded with true love. Not only, for obvious, supernatural reasons, unrelatable, but also a terrible message to be sending out.
5cm/s however, doesn't do that. 5cm/s wants to take us through life. It shows us the aftermath of love. It shows us life. It has a few key ways to achieve this.

1. It's paced slowly, with large time jumps. This allows it to cover a large period of time, but still keep us in its world. We aren't watching a story, we're experiencing a life.

2. Obviously, the lack of any form of supernatural, or even generally out of the ordinary occurrences keeps the story believable.

3. It has a key core message, that is both relatable and valuable. Losing love is shit, and dealing with that is hard, but you can’t spend your life chasing something that isn’t there. It hurts but eventually, you have to find beauty in your life; the train passes by, the song ends, and all that’s left to do is smile, and start putting one foot in front of the other.

>>157413954
>>157413961
>>157415148
>>157415178
>>157415420
>>157415973

5cm/s will always be seen as worse or at best equal on /a/ though. Generally, you’re only going to properly relate to 5cm/s if you’ve been in a proper, mutual relationship, and actually had a requited love, whilst you can sympathise with the characters in Your Name even if you’re a Virgin Neet, because maybe that emptiness comes from a past past life, and not your own failings as a human being.
>>
5cm is like the beta test for Your Name.
>>
>>157416013
The ending song fucks me up, too.

Thanks to this thread, I'm drinking copious amounts of alcohol and rewatching 5cm/s. Will report back with results.
>>
>>157413873
I fucking despise 5cm per second. The entire thing can be summed up as an entire hour of >tfw no gf. If I wanted that I would just go wallow in /r9k/ but even that's more varied and entertaining. I get so triggered from this fucking shit heap I can't even look at metersticks anymore.
>>
5cm is his Magnum Opus
>>
>>157422255
>The entire thing can be summed up as an entire hour of >tfw no gf.
Not really, because he has opportunities and he even had a gf before the third part.
>>
File: 1407758455890.jpg (44KB, 590x500px)
1407758455890.jpg
44KB, 590x500px
>ITT: underage cancer unable to understand the undertones of 5cm/s because they've experience any of the situations that happen in the movie

>>157416501
>>157417041
After he moves to the island up north she also moves again. Their only contact was through letters, as cellphones still were overpriced and rare. This together to the fact they were only corresponding with each other once in a few months (they mention weather changes which indicates half semester went through between replies) made them eventually lose contact.
He only knew she went to the country-side, but didn't have an address or phone. She on the other hand, was trying to move on.
>>
>>157416092
This is beautifully horribly written
>>
>>157419177
>real estate advertisement
It's so ridiculously cute and heartwarming that I actually cried.
Better than many drama/romance out there.
>>
>>157416092
The novel actually does a better job of relating the feeling shinkai tries to get across. The boy had been living his life. He even had a girlfriend, but things weren't working out in his other relationships. In the novel it's less about not moving on at all and more about the rosy nostalgia of young love and how it contains none of the real conflict involved with trying to have an adult relationship. It's that that chasing-the-dragon kind of relationship that's really at issue here.
>>157419828
The 5cm/s movie doesn't actually really deal with serious mutual relationships. Anybody that has ever experienced puppy love should easily understand what's at play in the movie. That sentiment extends to both the second and third sections.
>>157417041
They completely lost contact. Especially at the end she had basically forgotten he had existed until I believe she found the old letters some short period before her wedding.
>>
>>157413873
I enjoyed 5cm more. I have not seen a film integrate music better than 5cm
>>
>>157413873
agreed
>>
>>157425556
Nice blog, where do I subscribe faggot?
>>
>>157425556
Please don't give 5cm/s a bad name with your blogging bullshit
>>
File: 1480931843968.png (224KB, 744x309px)
1480931843968.png
224KB, 744x309px
Keit-Ai has been made into:

>a wiki
>a fanfic
>a fictionpress story
>a manga
>a meme
>a series recognized by TV Tropes
>an anime preview
>an anime episode
>an anime series
>an honest-to-goodness anime movie
>Oscar considered
>a critically acclaimed box office success in Japan
>a worldwide hit
>the no. 1 highest grossing anime film of all time
>a certified fresh movie on Rotten Tomatoes

5 cm benis can't even compare.
>>
>>157416092
RIP Surfer-chan
>>
>>157425929
Read the manga.
>>
>>157426008
What happens to the brown grill in the manga?
>>
>>157425440
>novel
You mean the manga, right?
The novel is just a transcript of the movie's script.

Seems many of us have different views on the message. I'd disagree it's about the difference in complexity of relationships and also don't see it solely as a "moving on" kind of thing like the other anon mentions. For me it's way more about the need of closure than anything else. Takaki never got to fully express his feelings and was cockblocked by external circumstances multiple times. They never had the chance to say goodbye (not the word but the whole emotional package) in a proper way.
Reason why, when they finally cross paths in the ending, he gets to see her one more time. He then knows she's fine and that she did ok in life. Allowing his heart to finally leave that as a cherished childhood memory.
>>
File: 1494988045004.jpg (136KB, 855x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1494988045004.jpg
136KB, 855x1200px
>>157425890
>Keit-ai is getting another anime

HOW DOES IT KEEP FINDING WAYS?
>>
>>157426417
My message was that If you ever love someone, let them know right away. You never know where life may pull the two of you, and it may be too late before you know it.

The pain of rejection fades a lot quicker than the pain of not knowing
>>
>>157425890
>Keit愛 OST

OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
ED1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
ED2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo

OP Full: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NShEKYoPXw
ED 1 Full: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIX9aoN7g4o
ED 2 Full: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm23229863

>Keit愛 TVアニメ

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
EP 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
EP 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic

>Keit愛: 君の名は。

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBBrZ3d2sJE
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4xGqY5IDBE
>>
>>157425890
Stop posting that because it's already a thing.

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3206139
>>
>>157426296
Surfer-chan? She contact MC-kun once again and then fate make them meet each other.
>>
>>157426672
Does it imply that they get together? Does she confess? Or do they just catch up?
>>
>>157426533
It's interesting that the story sort of explores that idea.
In one of Takaki's monologues, if I'm not mistaken, he says one of the reasons they never went all the way with a "aishiteru" line was exactly because they knew that it would hurt more to know their feelings were mutual but LIFE wouldn't allow them to be together.
As children they were mature enough to see a relationship wouldn't be possible.
-That's the way he puts it, but I agree with you. Just say it. Fuck acting as a grown up. You only get to do this kind of thing as a child.
>>
>>157426527
Wait, what?
>>
>>157416092
Or Shinkai is just a dick who knows how to piss people off

Great ending, it's not a great ending unless it pisses off everyone
>>
>>157426417
The novel is not a transcript of the movie. It contains quite a bit more. And the end of the novel indicates more that he moves on after realizing that he hadn't quite become the person she could be proud of, which was the sentiment that he had wanted to express in his letter. I can understand looking at it from the perspective of closure, but it deals with an extremely idealized love and more and more I'm not sure whether I should trust shinkai's portrayals of that purity when he contrasts them with other uglier emotions of love.

>>157426533
I want to argue against that because of how facile it sounds, but I can't tell when Shinkai's being a hack or clever, so I'm not going to think too hard about it.
>>
>>157427215
>it deals with an extremely idealized love and more and more I'm not sure whether I should trust shinkai's portrayals of that purity
Heh, same here.
Beyond the Clouds is still a puzzle to me exactly because of this constant play of what he puts as healthy crush or unrequited adoration. That prologue, the ending.
The whole movie is a spinning wheel of fate/fortune.

Didn't know about the novel, though. I might as well read it.
>>
People say Your Name is the normalfag movie but it looks like 5cm fits the bill better. Based on this thread the ones that seem to get anything out of 5cm are normalfags that actually have had childhood loves or been in a relationship at all.
>>
>>157428426
If you watch both you'll understand.

5 cm has weird pacing, a non happy ending, and can be a bit difficult to watch

Your name is very easy to watch, and has a satisfying ending
>>
File: Kanae.jpg (37KB, 1024x469px) Image search: [Google]
Kanae.jpg
37KB, 1024x469px
Yes, because this girl was amazing.
>>
>>157426417
The novel biggest difference from the movie is at the end, when the train passes by. He doesnt stand there and wait for the train, but turn around and keep on going. As >>157425440
said, he treasures the feeling of his young love, but knows that he cannot pursue it nor wants to. Just the fact that he continues walking before the train stop, and stopping to see the train pass creates a mountain of difference
>>
>>157428611
>>157428426
I'd agree that 5cm is the less normalfag movie. I've not even seen Kimi no Na wa but both appear to be really easy to relate to by just about anyone including hormonal chaste teens. Just because one anon thinks that you have to have been in a relationship to get it, that doesn't mean he's not a drooling idiot. 5cm is formally a hard to swallow movie. It's split into three very definite parts. One of the characters disappears and it turns out she's not really the main character. Another heroine appears. The final segment is an extended music video. Basically it's like an anthology movie and doesn't quite fit into the mold of a standard movie-going experience.
>>
Being better than Your Name. is so fucking easy it's not even funny.

Your Name sucked
>>
>>157428426
Shinkai doesn't bother characterizing anyone in 5cm besides surfer girl. So it's easier to watch if you have a similar experience to the MC, and can self insert. This makes it very inaccessible compared to Your Name, which has 2 MCs who have fun and interesting lives even if they're one dimensional.
As the other anon said, the format doesn't conform to the traditional narrative like Your Name does, which makes it easy to get bored of as well as easy to feel patrician for enjoying.
>>
>>157429355
5cm feels a bit arthouse to me.

Im not really sure what that termconnotes, but thats how i'd describe it
>>
>>157419828
>this pleb
I'm sorry, 5cm/s was in no way a better artistic achievement than KNNW. All story elements aside, production-wise 5cm was a real mess. Shinkai is a gorgeous background artist, a phenomenal editor, and a really good cinematographer - but a terrible animator and animation director. 5cm/s often struggles with lighting issues and separating foreground from background, creating this sense of visual vomit that's overwhelming and uncanny. Not to mention how bland and inexpressive the character animation is. Compare that to Ando's work on KNNW. Shinkai learned to accept his weaknesses, and delegate them to more talented animators, which works damn well.

The visual metaphors and leitmotifs Shinkai used in 5cm, which were some of its most memorable elements, like the trains and petals and rockets, get cranked to another level in KNNW. You've got the traditional shoji contrasting train doors with worm eye shots. You've got the meteor drawing a demarcation across the sky. You've got the verdant, soft tones of Itomori contrasting the harsh shading in Tokyo. You've got the whole Kumihimo visual - which is visually correlated to Japanese tradition, the flow of time, twilight, the comet, and the red string of fate - all at once.

Quality aside, KNNW has much more subtext and theming than 5cm/s, and loads more visual flair and better expression. The experience Shinkai gained really shows.

But in any case, if you're looking at 5cm/s and somehow thinking it's dealing with deeper themes than KNNW - you're just mistaken. Like, if all you gleaned from KNNW was that it was a love story, you must have thought Taxi Driver was just a story about some hero rescuing Jodie Foster. This movie is a whole tangle of ideas, and the fact that the plot is a lot more intense and active doesn't detract from that fact.

Really, the best way to look at KNNW is as a refutation of 5cm/s and its message.
>>
>>157429663
Arthouse can be a lot of things, but being niche and smaller and thus meant to be "artsy" are generally defining arthouse characteristics. Being a little out there in terms of film structure goes a long way to that end so, yeah, you could probably get away with calling it arthouse. Arthouse is not synonymous with experimental, which you'd probably not argue 5cm/s is.
>>
>>157415809
wtf is wrong with you, why would you group LoGH with Cowboy Bebop
>>
>>157429663
>>157429855
See
>>157429837

The idea that 5cm/s has better visuals than Your Name really baffles me. Because 5cm really did not look that great in anything outside screenshots and wallpapers.

>>157429589
>This makes it very inaccessible compared to Your Name, which has 2 MCs who have fun and interesting lives even if they're one dimensional.
Eh, I'd argue that the MC's in Kimi no na wa had more dimension than Takaki. I mean, Surfer girl was great, but that entire movie mostly consisted of just one guy moping around. Suffering does not equal characterization or development. All you really know about him is that he has allergies and likes some girl.

Compared to Kimi no na wa, which has both leads very well fleshed out in the first 30 minutes. Very quickly you get a sense of their flaws, their personalities, and their passions - so long as you're paying attention, a lot of things are hidden in the background or environment. They feel more alive and human than Takaki did, or hell, any of Shinkai's prior protagonists. A big part of that is just superior animation, though. Something as simple as seeing Mitsuha's nostrils flare at the mention of a cafe is an extremely humanizing trait. Comparatively, older Shinkai characters looked like robots.
>>
>>157430001
Probably because of oldfags on /m/ and the common grouping of them on must watch lists. Considering it's clearly a throwaway jeer at the anon he was replying to, why is that part so bothersome?
>>
File: grht6ef.jpg (128KB, 625x418px)
grht6ef.jpg
128KB, 625x418px
>>15742983
>being this upset
Did you seriously compare kimi no wa to taxi driver
>>
>>157430032
>Eh, I'd argue that the MC's in Kimi no na wa had more dimension than Takaki
Oh, I just meant that the KNNW characters are a bit underdeveloped as characters go, especially for a film of its type and acclaim. Completely agree with everything you wrote.
>>
>>157414408
This was one of the first songs that played on my car stereo after my first shift in the emergency room when my patient died in my arms.

Shit hits really hard
I can't listen to the song without remembering that day
kimi no na wa was better
>>
>>157430032
I think "arthouse" generally refers to a focus on aesthetics and the director's personal expression over entertainment value, not the literal art of the film.
>>
>>157430245
They dont play nip shit on the radio.

The thought that you'd be in japan working in a hospital ED is also hard to believe
>>
>>157430032
>The idea that 5cm/s has better visuals than Your Name really baffles me. Because 5cm really did not look that great in anything outside screenshots and wallpapers.

How does that at all relate to the posts you replied to? 5cm/s has an arthouse quality. That's based upon it's structure and directorial intent. No one was arguing specifically (I don't think) that 5cm/s was better than kimi no na wa or that 5cm/s was somehow better art for being more nontraditional. With a more traditional structure and a massive release, kimi no na wa is harder to call arthouse by comparison, but by virtue that it was screened in the West in smaller generally artsy venues, you could probably still argue the point.
>>
>>157430191
>Oh, I just meant that the KNNW characters are a bit underdeveloped as characters go, especially for a film of its type and acclaim. Completely agree with everything you wrote
Eh, even then that's a stretch. It's not LoGH or anything, but that's largely due to the time limitation. And also the fact that the movie had two leads, and it's not exactly a character study. I would argue that the characterization wasn't half bad though. Compared to, say, Whisper of the Heart, this one's just a little bit behind with its female lead, but Seiji was such a boring piece of shit that I think ultimately KNNW had more interesting leads. Miyazaki's other movies all have pretty poor characterization, I'm sorry.

So eh, I don't really find the characters underdeveloped. There isn't as much focus on dynamism for the most part, but the characterization is done quite well IMO. I was more attached to Mitsuha's dumb city antics in the first 25 minutes, than Ponyo after two hours.

>>157430275
Sure, but this was actually a very personal project - it took 5 years to make, after all, and was heavily based on the Earthquake. Probably Shinkai's most personal work along with 5cm/s, since he did want to reflect a shift in his own philosophy.

>>157430152
It's not like KNNW was a perfect movie, but I think there are too many retarded Contrarians jumping onto 5cm/s, without realizing how fucking awful it was in a lot of ways.
>>
>>157430152
I think it was an analogy, using a film widely known as great to show that being reductionist could lead to bad conclusions. Not a comparison of the films.
>>
>>157430370
That's why I said car stereo and not radio. My phone hooks up to bluetooth and plays music automatically when the car starts.
>>
>>157430387
>How does that at all relate to the posts you replied to? 5cm/s has an arthouse quality. That's based upon it's structure and directorial intent. No one was arguing specifically (I don't think) that 5cm/s was better than kimi no na wa or that 5cm/s was somehow better art for being more nontraditional. With a more traditional structure and a massive release, kimi no na wa is harder to call arthouse by comparison, but by virtue that it was screened in the West in smaller generally artsy venues, you could probably still argue the point.

That also makes no sense.

Kimi no na wa was not intended to be a hit. The budget wasn't far off Garden of Words, and they expected a movie about that successful. No one saw this coming, it's entirely a surprise hit. Shinkai even laments its popularity because he ran out of money and feels he could've done better - and he really could have, considering the awful rotoscoping.

And by far, if anything, 5cm/s has a more traditional structure - Literally just three acts, in chronological order. KNNW is tied together by all of these flashbacks, flash forwards, asides, montages - It fits more of a five-act structure, but even then there's so much going on it's hard to tell. Also with the leitmotifs and symbolism, there's kind of an undercurrent about the clash between rural and modern Japan that's hard to nail on the first viewing. Not to mention the whole Orpheus in the Underworld bit. Although I guess in Japan they would think of it more as Izanagi?

If you definition of "Arthouse" is more experimental and nontraditional, then KNNW fits that mold better than 5cm. Let's not forget that the most famous scene in 5cm/s was a cheesy-ass pop montage, too.
>>
>>157430508
Are you a MD.

I got into PA school, start in august
>>
>>157424675
Did she really move again? Her parent's were still living where she moved to from Tokyo, that's shown from her trip back to Tokyo after meeting them before the wedding.
>>
>>157430619
Nah, RN.

Grats on getting into PA school. What did you do before? EMT?
>>
>>157430431
>Sure, but this was actually a very personal project - it took 5 years to make, after all, and was heavily based on the Earthquake. Probably Shinkai's most personal work along with 5cm/s, since he did want to reflect a shift in his own philosophy.

>>157430275
Isn't saying kimi no na wa isn't personal either. It's a refutation of your misguided argument against claiming 5cm/s isn't arthouse-y because the art's not always that great. The point is that nothing you said disqualifies 5cm/s as arthouse, and like I said before you might argue kimi no na wa is arthouse-y, there would be a lot of people who would argue that grossing 340 million USD precludes it from being arthouse.
>>
>>157430701
I was a medical scribe, before that a pharmacy technician.

I got really lucky with the job. Scribe jobs are hard to come by in my city because all of the pre med students want to do it
>>
>>157430431
>Seiji was such a boring piece of shit
haha yeah, I like most Miyazaki films but he suffers from the same "generic male lead" syndrome that he seems to criticize other animators for.

>Probably Shinkai's most personal work along with 5cm/s, since he did want to reflect a shift in his own philosophy.
Which along with the beautiful animation makes it appealing to the arthouse audience, but not necessarily an "arthouse film" (or as I prefer, "art film"). I typically reserve that descriptor for films with little to no mainstream appeal, which KNNW demonstrably has. And it lacks what most people would call the "arthouse vibe", aka a silent, moody aesthetic almost omnipresent in narrative art films.
>>
>>157430758
>Isn't saying kimi no na wa isn't personal either. It's a refutation of your misguided argument against claiming 5cm/s isn't arthouse-y because the art's not always that great. The point is that nothing you said disqualifies 5cm/s as arthouse, and like I said before you might argue kimi no na wa is arthouse-y, there would be a lot of people who would argue that grossing 340 million USD precludes it from being arthouse.
I don't get what you're saying. It has nothing to do with quality or popularity, the point of an arthouse film is to be a form of personal expression with experimental presentation. Which KNNW was.

>>157430809
>haha yeah, I like most Miyazaki films but he suffers from the same "generic male lead" syndrome that he seems to criticize other animators for.
Miyazaki just sucks at writing believable characters in general. Whisper wasn't even his, it was Kondo and based on a Shoujo manga.

But, like, Chihiro was boring as crap and the little grils from Totoro were little more than Charming. Too often Miyazaki focuses more on the big picture, the world and the message, than giving the audience something to actually care about.

>aka a silent, moody aesthetic almost omnipresent in narrative art films.
What, because they're black and white? That's bullshit. There's plenty of upbeat, lively art films too. Everything From Brazil to Ernest and Celestine.
>>
>>157430787
Wow, good thing you're moving up. Scribe job is the ultimate bitch job right next to nursing assistant.
>>
>>157431036
Now, I'm not saying KNNW Was an arthouse film per se, but no less than 5cm/s.
>>
>Itomori's guardian deity erases the diary entries Mitsuha left on Taki's phone just to make his life harder
>>
>>157431040
Yeah. It looked good on my applications though, and i didnt have to sponge any old people
>>
>>157431036
>the point of an arthouse film is to be a form of personal expression with experimental presentation. Which KNNW was.
>There's plenty of upbeat, lively art films
Fair enough and good point. I doubt there's anything constructive left to say, trying to precisely define things like "arthouse" and "experimental" never seems to work out.
>>
>>157413873
Your name > 5 cm per second.
Both are masterpieces though.
>>
>>157413873
I don't know, anon, I have a pretty good name.
>>
>>157431363
You made me laugh harder than i should have, kudos
>>
>>157425440

That's the interesting part, that Shinkai seems to completely turn a 180 in Your Name. I mean, in and of itself, rosy nostalgia isn't a bad thing. It could give you firm values that you base your relationships on, it could drive you to live in a more determined way. The idea that adult relationships are always going to be riddled with melodramatic complications isn't always quite true, and you can deal with issues like that while having integrity. There's even a word for it, Natsukashii, that loving feeling of nostalgia when you think of times past.

In interviews, Shinkai has always said his movies were about loss. And learning to move on from losing something that matters to you, and find meaning in accepting the loss. But with the earthquake in 2011, that forced him to re-evaluate his mindset. If Takaki knew that everyone in Tokyo would die the next day, I have a feeling he wouldn't just walk on by.

And in Japan, too often do people give up on things anyways. The whole Shikata ga Nai phrase seems to sum up a large part of the personal philosophy. Things that matter to people, passions and lovers and everything else, get tossed away because it's not convenient for the culture or the workplace or whatever. And Shinkai, now, is railing against that. Both leads in Kimi were in Takaki situations by the end of the movie. They were moving forward, but clinging to ideals of the past. And here, it's rewarded. Shinkai is saying if you stay true to yourself and know what you want, and proactively chase it, life will be worth living. Don't accept loss and just move on, Don't be Takaki. Claw at fate until your hands blister, and never give up.

For a generation of disaffected kids, and, well, adults, who feel their country is in decline, it's very powerful. That's the real reason the movie was so popular, nothing to do with normie bait.

And you know, after like a dozen movies about losing lovers, it's refreshing to see the guy finally change his mind.
>>
>>157413873
I thought 5cm/s meant how far your dick thrusted in a second just because it only measures 5cm.
>>
Ive watched 5cm/s 3 times and each time it was significantly better than I remembered. Likewise I've seen Your Name 3 times but it was roughly the same all three times. Though visually superior, the storytelling is much more traditional and up front which combined with its supernatural element makes it less relatable.
>>
5cm makes me feel bad over love that could have happened.

KnNW makes me feel bad over love that will never happen

;_;
>>
>>157430152
Kimi no na wa just happens to be the highest grossing anime of all time, beating Spirited Away.

Eat your heart out.
>>
>>157431787
Can anime be kino?
>>
>>157419828
I have fallen in love, been in relationships, and fallen out of love before. 5cm/s is still a shit movie. Not because it fails to depict falling in and out of love, but because it utterly fails to capture the personal significance of it. The way 5cm/s depicts the act of falling in love is good. The way it depicts losing love is a complete waste, which ultimately causes the movie itself to be bad too.
>>
I really like how most shinkai's work are just monologues and camera panning on stuffs and scenery. KnNW somehow lack this and appear as a normal movie instead . Still love it though
>>
>>157431441
The acceptance of loss and the idea of "shikata ga nai" comes from Buddhist influences that permeate the culture. Just like Westerners who say things like "god/gosh" there are subtle religious undertones that subconsciously inform the way that we react to events. In the case of Japan, accepting events as they come has a two-fold basis: 1. Your personal place in society was determined ahead of time due to actions in your past life so you better accept it (karma). and 2. in death you will either leave the cycle of death and rebirth or you will simply come back so don't worry too much about the details of the suffering in the mortal world.

As for disaffected Japanese kids and adults, the movie actually made a lot more money overseas than it did in Japan (which I should point out is pretty common but it's ~60 million vs 280 million).

>>157432068
Literally every theatrical anime is Kino you fucks.
>>
>>157432260
>but because it utterly fails to capture the personal significance of it

I read that as
>I can't into implications and subtext
You are the worst sort of movie watcher.
>>
>>157413873
Depends on how much of a hard-on you have to melodramatic melancholic Shinkai ends.
>>
>>157431674
The opposite happens for me. I watched 5cm and it got worse each time. I can't appreciate the story at all. It's not like I hate sad things either. But the movie is nothing but ass dragging and doing nothing the whole way.
>>
>>157429837
The word artistic is a little equivocal and perhaps I shouldn't have used it. You have good points on animation and theme, but I my mind, neither of these make up the clear power gap between the films.

I will not accept your point on message. The message of KNNW is what exactly? That if you feel like you're yearning for something, sit around and wait til a past love you literally didn't know about falls into your life?

KNNW does seem like a refutation, and that's exactly why it's terrible, because 5cm/s had a good message about taking responsibility and actively searching for beauty.
>>
>>157432260
>It fails to capture the personal significance of it

?
>>
Yes, it was.
Though both of them are riding on a similar theme, but at least 5cm/s went all the way with it.
>>
>>157426527
ALWAYS FINDS A WAY
>>
>>157430590
>>157431036
Name one other film with a similarly paced, similarly spread 3 act structure. Not to take away from your points on leitmotifs, but structurally, KNNW is less original.

>experimental presentation
what?

>>157430431
>>157431441
The issue with the film is that the message ends aged 17. They clearly aren't fighting fate in the 4/7 years past that, they're wasting their life. Shit doesn't just get given to you in the real world. >>157431679 <

>>157431490
>implying he can achieve a thrust per second
>>
>>157414408
SHE WAS RIGHT FUCKING THERE, ALL HE HAD TO DO WAS RUN AFTER HER!!
>>
>>157413873

I felt nothing during 5cm for some reason, and it didn't seem like the characters really felt much either.
>>
>>157436200
All of Shinkai's works ride a similar theme. Distance.
>>
>>157437440
And then he would have found out she was marrying some guy. He would have gained nothing from it.
>>
5cm is more memorable, your name is a disney movie
>>
>>157438915
>marrying some guy.
This is what NTR is for.
Thread posts: 142
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.