[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the hell does Anime/Japanese CGI animation always look like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

Why the hell does Anime/Japanese CGI animation always look like shit and run at like 4 fps compared to western CGI animation which looks great even in kids TV shows?

Like I could understand they are not used to the tech, but still, what is with the whole 4 fps thing? It makes shows like Sidona completely unwatchable.
>>
>>157279703
Stylistic choice. Different frame rates are now as much a part of style as line thickness, eye-size, and everything else.
>>
>>157279703
Poor bait. Both that and Sidonia were done by the same CGI studio.
>>
>>157279703
This animation is low budget as fuck, I hate American CGI almost as much as I hate Eastern CGI.
>>
>>157279703
>what is with the whole 4 fps thing? It makes shows like Sidona completely unwatchable.
Use SVP for stuff like Sidonia if you have a powerful enough computer.
>>
I agree. There are remarkably few instances where cgi is even remotely decent looking in anime. But I think a contributing factor is the juxtaposition of cgi and drawings. I think the mixture of the two is destined to look like shit no matter what
>>
>>157279761
What the fuck is wrong with you? Jesus christ. You might as well just stab yourself in the fucking eyes.
>>
File: DarthMaul.webm (3MB, 680x284px) Image search: [Google]
DarthMaul.webm
3MB, 680x284px
Honestly, a large part of it I think is the typical anime style doesn't translate well to CGI/3D models. It looks weird even in video games.

There is though evidence of it done very well, Jojo Bizarre Adventure Opening Videos are always fantastically animated and actually make me wish the show was fully CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJAh6GAbGK4
>>
I think it's because the style of anime in general doesn't translate to 3D models. That and in general Japanse animations don't get the same budget.

TCW was quite expensive to make if I recall and I think old George even funded a portion of it with his personal cash. They also had a really nice aesthetic which made the fairly blocky models look great.
>>
>>157279703
The animation in that is shit
The art in that is shit
The models in that are shit
But hey at least the frame rate is higher right
>>
>>157279703
Why didn't he just use telekinesis from the start?
>>
>>157279703
They think that dropping frames to have choppy animation somehow imitates hand drawn animation. It isn't.
>>
>>157279837
Better effect with opening or dropping guard
>>
File: Kamikaze Douga.jpg (135KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
Kamikaze Douga.jpg
135KB, 770x433px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd3_YKyVlDs

Kamikaze Douga is like Japans only good CG anime studio.
>>
>>157279831
this
>>
>>157279851
And the strange thing is that they are only beginning to realize it. Do the artists not watch their own work and notice how abysmal everything looks at such low animation framerates? Even FAGs seems to still want to cut some corners in the animation steps but it looks a hell of a lot better than some MUCH higher budget shows in the past just because it has game-like (aka completely normal) animation framerates.
>>
>>157279795
t. jelly poorfag
>>
>>157279703
Billion dollar company funding it vs million dollar company funding it

I can guarantee you that top movies cost atleast 2-5x more than than Jap, yet the quality and the substance is much more on the anime side of things.

West has bought into the "muh realism" and discarded all notions of story and substance.
>>
>>157279831
This. Genndy's version is way better.

No Ahsucka
No The Ones
>>
>>157279954
If you work on something long enough, you become completely blind to all of its flaws.
>>
>>157279990
Clone Wars was made from George Lucas own money.

The hilarious thing is when Disney bought out Star Wars, they canned Clone Wars and made Star Wars Rebels and Rebels actually does look like complete and utter shit.
>>
Can someone tell me what op's picture was since it's deleted? Star wars rebels or clone wars shit?
>>
>>157280744
clone wars
>>
>>157279703
Studios think they can use CG as a shortcut but don't realize that it takes just as much time and effort as traditional animation does.
>>
>>157279703
Why not?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.