[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do people actually pay attention to what manga/LN licensing companies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

File: Yenpress.png (7KB, 250x172px) Image search: [Google]
Yenpress.png
7KB, 250x172px
Do people actually pay attention to what manga/LN licensing companies release, or do people only care about things that they have already read fan translations for? When something that was never noticed by scanlators gets picked up by one of these companies, does anybody actually buy it?
>>
>>157077498
>When something that was never noticed by scanlators gets picked up by one of these companies
That doesn't sound very likely.
Why invest in something that shows no signs of popularity?
>>
>>157077566
It could be popular in japan.
>>
>>157077498

im buying all the Hakomari LN's English release.
I already have the original jap ones and read them via the fans translation.

but im pretty much retarded so...
>>
>>157077498
I like muh paper.

Comfy to read in bed. Computer screens are terribly distracting.
>>
>>157077498
I only care when they pick up something that was already translated. Because then I know that I better start saving copies or drop the series entirely if it's still on going.
>>
>>157077566
>That doesn't sound very likely.
It happens. Usually these get zero attention and no one even rips/scans the official release.
>>
>>157077498
I do pay attention if something random gets licensed, because it has big chances of getting an anime.

Look at Kodansha, they licensed Welcome to the Ballroom, Demi-chan, Houseki no Kuni randomly before they got anime announcements.
>>
>>157079676
That only applies to companies like Kodansha that translate their own works, not if some third party English publisher licenses it, since they wouldn't know what has an unannounced anime.
>>
>>157079676
>>157079727
Also, I should point out that none of those three were "random" in the sense OP's describing - they all had active English scanlations already.
>>
>>157079676
>>157079727
>Kodansha hasn't licensed Grand Blue
IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIR.
>>
>>157077498
I will always support the official physical releases of things I enjoy whether anime blu rays or manga books.

Never solely trust fan translations, they always have some kind of issue in my experience.
>>
>>157079727
>if some third party English publisher licenses it, since they wouldn't know what has an unannounced anime
Yes they would, English publishers work directly with the Japanese companies. I remember Yen Press explicitly saying they knew Danmachi was going to get an anime before it was announced.
>>
Fuck me is Yen Press the worst manga / LN provider. There translations and mistakes are shit.
>>
Yen Press translations are shit and full of mistakes. Like how in Re Zero volume 2 Yen Press call Rem Ram on her profile page.
>>
>>157079989
That's fucking retarded, lmao.
>>
>>157079988
Kek you can't even spell 'their' correctly so who are you to complain about mistakes.
>>
>>157079988
>There translations and mistakes are shit.
The irony.
>>
>>157079989
>>157079988
t. Kodansha
>>
>>157079988
>the worst manga provider
I don't think you can deprive TokyoPop of their eternal title.
>>
>>157079727
Not really. Look at Seven Seas, they have a stupid amount of series that they licensed before they had anime announcements, but I think they're just lucky.
>>
>>157077498
Doesn't jewpress and their ilk hamper fan translations? They might not even get to where the fan translator even is if they drop the series.
>>
File: 51eo7qlosrL.jpg (37KB, 335x500px) Image search: [Google]
51eo7qlosrL.jpg
37KB, 335x500px
>>157080543
Don't even get me started on Tokyopop.. Back in the day I was big Rozen Maiden fan and so snapped this up immediately. They completely butchered it.
>Character names are spelt differently every time
>Characters calling each other by the wrong name
>Spelling errors every fucking page
>Sentences that make no sense at all
>Attack names are not consistant
>Poor print quality

Tokyopop were pretty good at answering emails but I never got a single response to any of my complaints about their handling of this series.
>>
>>157080858
>Doesn't jewpress and their ilk hamper fan translations?
From a business perspective, this is nothing but a good thing.

>They might not even get to where the fan translator even is if they drop the series.
This literally never happens anymore, the only time a series even came close to being dropped was Vinland Saga and the publisher made an official statement that it was selling like shit.
>>
Dark Horse Manga releases some beautiful editions, their Cardcaptor Sakura releases are just stunning.
>>
>>157081055
As long as you keep them facing forward on your shelf and don't look at the spines, sure.
>>
>>157080988
>From a business perspective, this is nothing but a good thing.
Disgusting
>>
>>157081104
Indeed. Who thought that it was a good idea to change the spine design on the last volume. What a fuck up. But if you buy them now they all match.
>>
>>157081125
t. poorfag
>>
>>157081236
>t.
>poorfag
Fuck off, /v/.
>>
I only care when we get re-releases of old impossible to find at sane prices anymore shit. Then I care a lot.
>>
>>157080543
>>157080911
The whole Stella no Mahou subs fiasco reminded me of them, because CR's use of "the real McCoy" made me remember TP's Vampire Game release, where the cast of nobles in medieval not-Europe kept speaking like a bunch of Murrican college students from the 70s.
>>
>>157079372
You're going to have to give me some examples because I can't think of anything.
>>
>>157081914
Times of Botchan, for example.
>>
What could it mean if a manga gets licensed after only putting out 7 chapters?
>>
>>157082857
Which series? It could be a notable author or something, but I'm assuming that's not the case or you wouldn't need to ask.
>>
>>157081104
All my Dark Horse spines are consistent through the whole series.
>>
File: dbujwB1.jpg (4MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
dbujwB1.jpg
4MB, 3872x2592px
>>157083159
Consider yourself very lucky.
>>
>>157083404
My autism senses is really bothering me here.
>>
>>157082893
Nirvana. The writer also has a sort of popular light novel series. "Sort of" because it's only popular in japan. So it's questionable why a work from somebody who is only big in japan would be a high priority.
>>
I would love to support official translations, specifically if they did go for the series that aren't getting translated (or even more specifically, series that were translated enough to get the premise and interest but then dropped for no reason by scanlators) because those are the ones I usually want to read. But then you have the whole downside that if a series you like is being fan translated and officially released, the official releases can be so slow it'll never even remotely catch up.

Because the business has no interest in translating manga I want to read, I'm struggling to try and learn Japanese and just buy those versions.
>>
>buy manga
>it's grey or yellowish instead of white like in scanlations
WHAT IS THIS?? WHAT IS THISS? DID I JUST GET MEMED?
FUCKING JAPAN
>>
>>157085029
The one good thing about Tokyopop was the paper they used. My copies of Love Hina from 15 years ago are somehow less yellow than my copies of Girls & Panzer.
>>
File: tumblr_mapyzsJO791ru9vhbo1_500.jpg (123KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mapyzsJO791ru9vhbo1_500.jpg
123KB, 500x667px
>>157083159
Just kill me now..
>>
File: lLYCPt8.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
lLYCPt8.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>157083159
Three different spines.. what a mess
>>
>>157083404
>>157089312
>>157089601
AHHHHHHHH WHY DO THEY DO THIS SHIT
>>
>>157089601
>>157089312
>>157083404
Now how am i supposed to sleep?
>>
I've taken a liking to Seven Seas. I feel they're consistent every time.
>>
>>157091227
I haven't really noticed many problems with them either and they're pretty quick on their releases without delaying them for years.
>>
>>157077498
Yen Press should do only premium editions, if you're going with shit quality that's not worth collecting just do a digital release.

I appreciate when they license something that's not available otherwise though. Case in point, Youjo Senki (that fan TL is good but they might as well finish by 2030)
>>
>>157077498
I've only purchased one manga that I hadn't already read a fan translation of and it was by accident. There's no reason to spend money on manga sight unseen.
>>
>>157091554
What about them waiting 6 months to release the first volume of Nirvana?
>>
>>157091840
I don't read it so I didn't notice. But I'd rather the first volume of a series taking a while to come out than midway through a series delaying for a year
>>
>>157091598
I'll always be grateful for Yen Press putting out Manga Time Kirara 4koma like Shoulder a Coffin Kuro and GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class that I doubt sell even 1000 copies.
>>
File: 1494095549296m.jpg (47KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1494095549296m.jpg
47KB, 1024x576px
>buy tons of manga recently
>finish reading them
>have now got some pointless collection that has no resell value unless i wanna be jew'd by Ebay

Yeah fuck collecting stuff again
>>
>>157092248
>He doesn't reread his books
For currently discussed series it was really useful to just turn around and flip through books looking for a scene I was discussing on /a/ rather than look for what the hell the chapter number was online too.
>>
>>157091840
English publishers always have to wait at least a year because bookstores require they give lists of what they're releasing that far in advance to know what to order. The only reason some licenses seem to release faster is that they just held off on announcing them until closer to the sell date.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.