[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes a good manga/anime fight? The non-stop action,like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

What makes a good manga/anime fight? The non-stop action,like in pic related? The dialogue inside of the character's minds,like in Hunter X Hunter? The art? Is there a single fight that does a perfect balance of all of these things?

Tell me your thoughts.
>>
There's no one sole aspect that makes or breaks a fight scene, but if I had to name something it would be the purpose behind the fight. The purpose (ideally) is what dictates how the scene is executed.
>>
>>156971099
the redraw of OnePunchMan has a great combination of the things you listed.
>>
>>156971099
Imo HxH spent too much time on dialogue in the manga fights. You honestly lose yourself and forget what people were even saying at the start.
>>
>>156971323
That's an interesting way to view things.I agree,the reason behind the fight could make it better or worse.
But I was more interested in the actual fight itself.For example,in a tournament there usually isn't a real reason for fighting other than competition.The MC might have a reason for fighting,sure,but most of the others don't.

>>156971367
Agreed.Saitama's fights are always fun to see,but it's the fights of the other characters that I like seeing the most.

>>156971382
I didn't have too much trouble with the dialogue in HxH,but I do agree that it gets way too excessive at times.The Hisoka vs Chrollo fight was particularly hard to follow. Needed to re-read it a few times.
>>
>>156971099
Good animation typically is the most important thing, for me. Movement seems essential for any good fight scene.
>>
>>156971099
Choreography, the fight needs to be interesting to watch. Lenght of the fight and characters thoughts are not essential( but they can add value to the fight when executed correctly).
The last thing you want is two dudes just punching each other for two volumes
>>
Animation and directing.
>>
>>156971099
Same thing that makes a good story, a nice twist. Especially love when they build up an enemy strengths during a fight and the other parter must fine a smart way to defeat them that no one expects at first.

I just read the armored titan fight and i'd say it's damn near perfect, lots of build up, emotional tension, a strong enemy, a lot of strategy must be used, it's kept interesting because you never know who might win.
>>
>>156971961
Doesn't "directing" just encompass everything?
>>
>>156971660
^This

The choreography is extremely important not noly because it makes the difference between fun and boring fiths, but also because it says everything about how different characters approach the fight and how their unique ways of fighting interact.

Take the Boros vs Saitama fight for example. Saitama constantly makes small, deliberate movements or simply doesn't move at all, and yet whenever he takes punches, it always lands.
This says a lot about their difference in powerlevels and how Saitama is simply wasting time so Boros gets his fight out of it.
>>
>>156971099
This is my own opinion, but the balance of an interesting villain/engaging evil (i.e. you actually care for the outcome because it will affect the upcoming storyline), unexpected plot devices like luck-based wit or was introduced beforehand so it wouldn't be an asspull, actual minor character(s) engagement, psychological character struggle and overcoming said struggle makes for the best formula.

Great paneling would be implemented, though.
>>
>>156971470
>But I was more interested in the actual fight itself
Every fight is different, things like "the art/animation should be good" are both vague and too obvious. I'm essentially talking about the basics of writing: why is stuff happening and from whose viewpoint are we seeing it? Defining these things affects character appearances, whether we know what they are thinking, how clear the action is, what is the focus etc. That's the closest thing there is to a formula for constructing a fight scene.

On a more personal note, I don't really like clean and beautiful fights because usually the context doesn't match that kind of presentation. People who are trying to kill each other shouldn't be so flawless and graceful unless they are emotionally dead or robots or something. Shit like that becomes a boring flashy performance that's probably less interesting than the story surrounding it.
>>
>>156972231
>I don't really like clean and beautiful fights
My man.
Brutal fights are always my favorite.
There's so much more at stake.
>>
>>156972020
Are you me? Armored titan fight was 10/10
>>
>>156971099
For Anime? I'd say Reason for fight>Emotions behind the fight>Music, if any must fit>Animation
Kakashi vs Obito was one of the best fights in Naruto because of these.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I6QbXrL5TE
>>
>>156971099
Good characters.
>>
>someone starts to punch
>people have whole conversations before the punch hits
this is how not to do a fight
yet it's almost always the case
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.