[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why was pluto so much better than monster?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: 17.jpg (166KB, 750x1124px) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
166KB, 750x1124px
why was pluto so much better than monster?
>>
It wasn't 15 volumes too long.
>>
>>156182318

Never read Monster, only watched it.

But Pluto made me feel sad so damn many times.
Monster was good, Monster had impressively depressive atmosphere and I really liked most characters, but Pluto just tore at my heart.
Except for its end. Pluto's end was just sad in that it was disappointing.
>>
>>156182361
Urasawa cannot into endings. Actually i think mangakas in general don't know how to do a proper ending.
>>
>>156183120
I thought 20CB's ending was quite alright.
>>
>>156182318
I can't understand why it hasn't been adapted yet, it's Urasawa's best work and the easiest to read.
>>
>>156183544
It's pretty much a fanfiction.
>>
It didn't endlessly drag on.
Also, better ending.
>>
>>156182361
>>156183120
yea shame about the ending, especially how Geischt was killed off, he was a good fucking mc
>>
>>156182318
It wasn't. Monster is better. Pluto is pretty good though.
>>
File: Brau-1589-600x400.jpg (161KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Brau-1589-600x400.jpg
161KB, 600x400px
>>156184189
Monster as stated by other anons drag too long, it felt longer than 20th and 21st Century Boys, that is why i think Pluto takes the place of Urasawa masterpiece.

My problem with the whole Pluto is that fucker known as Brau 1598. During the whole manga we are given the idea of "hatred only produce mor hatred" and "war is bad" from Mont-Blanc to Atom to Sahad. And then we have this fucker he serves as a "interpretor" as a mean to us readers see another perspective of the so called perfect robots, even though "tacky" is acceptable, but the ypu have the last two pages that go against all the idea the manga try to tell us, he go and travel trough countries just to impale the mastermind dressed as a teddie bear. How? Why?
>>
>>156184637
It was a weird twist, but the really overwhelming part was the last volume in my opinion. Lackluster villain and all compared to the rest.

I only felt Monster dragging for too long during one of the last arcs, so at least as far as I'm concerned the 80%~ of it are good. And the last arc mostly lived up to the hype. Overall I feel like it's a good middle ground between 20th CB's interesting but chaotic plot and Pluto's cool but kinda stale plot.
>>
>>156183120
Monster's ending was masterful
>>
>>156182318
Thanks for reminding me this exists, might as well reread it. Better than wasting my time looking for new things to watch.
I can see my waifu epsilon again.

>>156183544
Now that you mention it, it's weird.
>>
>>156182318
This is the objectively correct order:
20th CB > Pluto >> Monster > 21st CB >>> Billy Bat
>>
>>156185281
20th century boys was great early on, but it becomes shit way before the end
>>
File: 361.png (28KB, 902x1300px) Image search: [Google]
361.png
28KB, 902x1300px
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>156182318
How's Billy Bat? It ended recently, right?
>>
>>156184836
>>156183253
I mean, yeah they weren't baaad endings but for the story that they had behind, were underwhelming
>>
>>156186024
yea this, his endings aren't bad but considering that the story leading up to the ending are so emotionally powerful and gripping, the endings always, at least for me, leave you wanting more.
>>
I thought 21CB was good at first but it just kept going on with nothing actually happening.
>>
>>156186473
This is probably why it got axed really quickly.
>>
>>156185752
Is a good drama about conspiracies but in the end when you know what is all about it lost his great weapon, the mysteries.
>>
File: pluto atom.png (350KB, 500x668px) Image search: [Google]
pluto atom.png
350KB, 500x668px
It had some pretty good character designs.
>>
File: Billy_Bat.png (90KB, 460x900px) Image search: [Google]
Billy_Bat.png
90KB, 460x900px
Is Billy Bat any good?
>>
>>156184637
Urasawa kinda axed the thing with brau but i think he just accepted Atom existence, who absorbed gesich memories and hate and remained good. That worked to me.
>>
>>156189554
At times.
>>
>>156184637
Well he showed that he was aware of the teddie bear mastermind when he mentioned the feelings of a supercomputer unable to move at all.

As for why, it's pretty clear that brau 1598 was moved by both gesitch and astro stories and decisions. The bigger problem to me was the teddie bear itself; the story would have worked much better if he hadn't existed and the whole "destroying the world" thing was just abra's initiative. And have brau 1598 just kill the president responsible for the whole affair without having to sacrifice itself, making us wonder if we would do the same as brau 1598 did in his position.
>>
>>156184836
I never felt this blueballed after finishing a manga, and I read Koe no Katachi
>>
>>156183558
If Lost Canvas can get an anime, a fanfiction for one of anime's seminal works can get an anime.
>>
>>156182318
Because monster is kinda slow and boring.
>>
>>156191136
No matter how many times you try, evil's still out there
>>
>>156182318
Because it has a better original author.
>>
Pluto is the weakest of Urasawa's three works that I've read. It never reaches the lows of Monster and 20thCB, but never the highs either. It was a mild country hill rather than a rollercoaster; not once did I feel great excitement or emotion, and I don't think never being pissed off either makes that worth it.
>>
>>156193302
more like johan's dead
>>
>>156182318
>why was pluto so much better than monster?

Because Pluto was an adapted story while Monster was Urasawa's original work
>>
>>156189554
It's worth reading but it's not his best.
>>
>>156191136
>Koe no Katachi
You're a fucking liar or an idiot.
>>
>>156182318
It actually delivered. Pluto is his best work while Monster and Billy the Bat are his worst.
>HURR HE IS EVIL HIMSELF HE HAS DONE WORSE THINGS THAN HITLER IS LIKE THE ABYSS
>Reality, just a few kills,some terror attacks and everyone is just dumb as fuck to make him look smart
Fuck Monster.
>>
>>156189554
Frankly overall dissappointing, but if you like Urasawa you're still doing yourself nothing but a disservice if you won't read it.
There are strong moments in there, really strong, however as a complete story it's kind of a disconnected mess. It isn't hard to follow, it's just not particularly cohesive. That's sort of the point and you'll see why, but it just doesn't fully deliver.
>>
It had already an original work and a strong thematic from Astro Boy to base himself with, a clever twist to said formula (making the story about Gesicht rather than Astro) and most importantly, it was condensed and consistent. It was able to get straight to the point and every event actually felt it had a reason to exist rather than padding, and it still played Urasawa's strenghts (mainly its secondary cast and down-to-earth nature).

Also Uran is the best girl in any of Urasawa's works.
That embarassing political commentary about the US' foreign policy was dumb as fuck, though.
>>
>>156199104
Yeah, for as much as I want to love pluto, I just can't find myself agreeing with its generic 'anti-war' pacifistic message and the bad political commentary.

Though it's my theory that the last couple pages, featuring Brau and what he did to the bear supercomputer [which should have been foreshadowed a bit more if i'm honest]
was used a self-parody of subversion by Urasawa, to show that the message isn't always correct and sometimes it takes something different to get things done, really.
It's an added layer of depth and, if it's intentional, I greatly respect him for it.
>>
>>156199786
Heh, no idea. Pluto's message feels more about trying to find an end to the cycle of revenge and how hate was a fruitless endeavor that consume both you and everyone else around you. The supercomputer was more of a generic dickass in the same way Brau was an asshole, and it feels like Urasawa just wanted to bring closure to them without knowing how to tie them up in the general theme.
I feel like he should avoid political commentary entirely, it's often very childish and basic (Monster, Pluto, Billy Bat...) and he's much better at struggles within relationships between people anyway.
>>
He should just write/draw more sports manga like Happy!.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.