[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you don't like Little Witch Academia, Why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 28

File: 1490505532756.gif (1MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1490505532756.gif
1MB, 500x500px
So I know there is already a LWA thread but I wanted to start a new thread on a particular thing. It seems people like even love this show, as do I, but I know at least one person who didn't enjoy the shorts and gave up on the series pretty early.

So I wanted to hear the reasons why people wouldn't like this. Is it the main character in how she is obviously flawed more than your typical "protagonist"? Is it something else?

I'm really curious to hear this.
>>
I hate how trigger pander to westernfags.
>>
Why can't we have more episodes without any stupid action and intrigue and just have comfy episodes with dumb witches?
>>
>>156040694
Boring shit with annoying characters.
>>
File: 1461756660535.jpg (95KB, 733x622px) Image search: [Google]
1461756660535.jpg
95KB, 733x622px
>>156040694
Liked the OVAs, dropped the TV series around episode 5. Just found it boring. I guess you can get too much of a good thing (although I may pick it up again at some stage in the coming weeks to give it a second chance).

Also, the threads were great for the first few episodes, but they quickly became very cancerous.
>>
>>156040694
Main reasons are that it's not as high-quality a production as the original films, and the "writing" and "characterization" are bad. I think it's lovely.
>>
Several episodes of the first cour were awful.
The animation became really shit aside from a few standout action sequences.
>>
>>156040694
Dianafags; waiting until the show ends so I can bingewatch without putting up with their cancer
>>
File: akko mad.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
akko mad.gif
2MB, 500x281px
OP here with a folow up question.
What are your thoughts on Akko as a character?

I do adore her determination and spunky attitude but I can feel how her constant screwing up and falling for obvious traps can make her flawed.

but that begs the question, what kind of character do you like more; one that is perfection with little to no flaw that you can look up to or a flawed character that you can feel for or relate to?
>>
>>156041697
She worked for the OVAs but a long running series really shows how shallow she is as a character. There is nothing to her other the Muh Chariot, as far as we know that's her only interest and reason of every action.
>>
It's like a children's anime made by a neural network, absolutely no will whatsoever.
>>
>>156040694
Filler and muh generic underdog saves the world plot. I watch it and it's enjoyable enough but it's nothing to write home about.
>>
>>156040777
agreed brother
>>
>>156042003
Ah the elusive comment about nothing. Shame you couldn't put more will into it.
>>
>>156040694

Don;t get me wrong, I love this shit.

But could it possibly be that so many people love it that it gets multiple threads? People who were neutral to it of course are gonna get mad if it's everywhere.
>>
Akko is just too stupid. One thing is being a big air headed, but Akko puts it into a whole new level
>>
File: 1492408472003.jpg (2MB, 2452x3480px) Image search: [Google]
1492408472003.jpg
2MB, 2452x3480px
>>156041697
She is great and is the best girl!
>>
>>156040777
>this studio panders to a different demographic that doesn't include my tastes
All anime nowadays panders in some way or another to a certain demographic. Name me one studio now that doesn't do that.
>>
I liked the first ova (the second was mindless animation with barely any story). I liked Akko and really wanted to watch a season about her story. I'm 11 or 12 episodes in and every episode is filler. Hard to watch a show that doesn't build on its own premise.
>>
>>156040694
Generic and boring as fuck.
>>
>>156041697
I love her, I just love Ursula more.
>>
>There are people who legitimately believe that Ursula is Shiny Chariot.
>>
It would be a 10/10 for me if it ended with Akko failing to live up to Chariot.
>>
>>156040694
LWA TV makes me hate Akko and like Diana.

But the show itself is fucking amazing. Can't wait until Akko recites every word and finally meets Chariot.
>>
File: 1492405197905.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1492405197905.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
Akko is perfect!
>>
As someone who loved the animation up until the series the biggest issue is the poor worldbuilding that constantly hurts the viewer's suspension of belief.

A quick example is when the rich guy is going home in his limo after visiting the academy and commenting that he thinks magic is stupid and has no place in the modern world. He says this as his limo is literally driving through a magic wormhole from the academy to some city, possibly in front of his own house.

Zombie dad episode didn't help much either.
>>
>>156044182
Literally every time she uttered the words to activate Shining Rod, it was brought on by her realizing she needs to be herself, not her needing to be Chariot.
>>
>>156044367
But she's a fucking dork.
>>
Akko functions alright as a protagonist if you accept that her growth is a focal point of the show.
The series itself is not mind blowing but it's also alright. Could use a little less blue filter on backgrounds.
The general makes discussion of the series pointless here, but there wasn't that much to discuss in the first place.
>>
>>156044345
the wormhole only connected to the school and that's it. But yeah, i agree the worldbuilding and plot is very poor. Now they will try to throw everything in 2nd cour.
>>
I just picked up and binged on all of LWA in like three days. Loved the movies with all my soul, like the series a lot too but:

1) It's starting to become apparent that Ako isn't great for a long-running series. She's basically Noriko from Gunbuster ("HARD WORK AND GUTS!") but stretched out over two cours. These type of "work hard to achieve your dreams" themes with dumb but hard-working protagonists are good for shorter works but start to grate in longer series. But I let it slide because she's cute and expressive. Ako's entire personality basically exists so she can be animated making cute/funny poses, and it's easy to write her blundering herself into situations that require good animation to solve.

2) The animation isn't as good. Perfectly understandable when it's a series and not a movie, but it gets really grating when entire minutes of the episodes are just recapping stuff that happened a while ago to save on the budget. Or a lot of stuff like characters just floating into the frame sometimes or shots with no animation at all outside of lip flaps. They make up for it with the big sequences most of the time tho. Or you have animation like the skeleton guy up which had dogshit floaty animation that looks like it was outsourced to Korea (even if it was an amazing episode otherwise, very funny).

3) No one cares about the fucking plot man. LWA's overarching plot isn't interesting, it's trite, stupid, predictable and boring. The first two movies worked because at the end of the day they were just fun adventures with good payoff. LWA the series has a ton of good episodes and they're all entirely episode and irrelevant in nature. Now that the actual plot is actually moving along as of the last two episodes, it's suddenly a LOT less interesting. Western-style shows like this work better when they're irreverent and goofy, and shouldn't try to get you to take them seriously.
>>
>>156040694
I liked the OVAs enough to contribute to the kickstarter. I am really disappointed in the anime because it isn't as fulfilling and seems like they just waste episodes on filler instead of actual content. It's not that I dislike the TV series, but the allure and hype that I built up around the series has died down. I used to go on the LWA threads on /a/ and stay up all night shitposting "SUBS WHEN". Now, I just check on Mondays and probably watch the show on Tuesdays or Wednesday. It seemed less about magic SoL and more about middle school/highschool SoL, which there are a lot of already.
>>
>>156040694
The beginning portion was boring. I watched like 2 or 3 episodes but the lack of anything interesting combined with how stupid Akko is got on my nerves.

Now that the storyline is kicking in maybe business will pick up
>>
>>156044830
Noriko was 1) Way hotter and 2) Not as obnoxious as Akko.

Which makes sense, given early Gunbuster's "sports parody" flavor
>>
chronic hemorrhoids has proven to be more entertaining than the show
>>
File: 1491529994365.jpg (502KB, 1100x660px) Image search: [Google]
1491529994365.jpg
502KB, 1100x660px
>>156041697
Personally, i prefer a character with with a mix of both attributes, to give a few examples, Midorya (My Hero Academia), Monkey D. Luffy(One Piece), Gon (HunterxHunter). I find very under powered useless characters and overpowered easy mode characters very annoying for their own reasons. Although, both kinds of characters can be done right in the appropriate setting, like with Saitama (One Punch Man). As for Akko, she's an average MC, she has a likable personality, but her stupidity can get annoying sometimes.
>>
>>156044952
>way hotter
no denying it.
>>
It honestly bored me.
>>
File: akko.jpg (40KB, 629x344px) Image search: [Google]
akko.jpg
40KB, 629x344px
>>156041697
>What are your thoughts on Akko as a character?
Her progress is glacial.
There are plot reasons why her progression is so slow. She IS translating a magic language into her secondary language and then probably translating that into her native language inside of her head.
I get the whole point of her character is determination and talent over tradition. At the same time; it's been a miserable first 12 episodes watching her go down this path because of the sheer number of failures she's had.

Chaining herself to shooting star should have been how she approaches every problem. She's boiler plate and cookie cutter when she tries to train and learn things the hard way, and furthermore: it's not interesting to watch. It's not interesting to watch her slowly get better because there are these 10 or 11 episodes where she's not good at magic, and therefore can't solve any problems in a unique way.

In the OVAs she was akin to a pyromancer (hot bloodeded, get it?), while that doesn't have the hilarity potential as shapeshifting; it also lacks the hard and strong edge that he had in the OVAs. Without her signature magic and with this new gimmick; she seems like someone who everyone in the show is completely right about: someone who just doesn't belong because she's a one-trick pony.

I don't expect her to be a master, but watching the equivalent of a muggle struggle through Luna Nova for 12 episodes wasn't very interesting. I would go as far as to say that Cour 1 could have been skipped in favor of Cour 2 and nothing would have changed. We would probably think the TV show is interesting; even.

I still think she's pretty, but that's detached from her usage in the show.
>>
>>156040694
personally i think your fanbase is really autistic and basically reddit
>>
>>156040694
>So I wanted to hear the reasons why people wouldn't like this.

The main plot was a bit too slow for some, and the animation has been mediocre in the last couple of episodes. It also hasn't made maximum use of its large cast of characters; more colorful interactions with Amanda, Diana, and their respective crews would have made this show feel brighter.

I'm really loving the show, but I'm just listing reasons why people might not like it.

>>156041697

>What are your thoughts on Akko as a character?

She's really, really cute. Akko haters should fuck off. I think the main complaint against her would be that she's not developing her magic skills fast enough, but that really doesn't bother me.
>>
>>156045610
Good post
>>
I think the pacing was pretty awful through the first 10 episodes or so. I really disagree with how much of the OVA material they recycled even if they expanded on every borrowed scenario. At the same time, there was an entire episode about a completely unrelated light novel author mystery bullshit just to re-introduce Lotte's fairy speaking ability. It wasn't necessarily a bad episode, but it contributed to a bit of an aimless mess at the start. Beyond that, Akko spent much of that entire stretch being completely inept. To a certain extent, you could say that we haven't gotten coverage of new material until the past few episodes. I think it is finally heading in a good direction, but the next episode will probably determine whether it can juggle the overarching plot without completely eschewing academy life fluff.

It really sucks how static Chariot has been as a character. She does a lot of staring off into the distance with regretful eyes, but she literally got written out of an episode the moment she resolved to tell Akko shit. Her school life memory details are basically nothing surprising for the Chariot we know existed, and we still know nothing about why she disappeared. I guess we can now say she failed to get the last word, or she got too old, or something.

It just feels way too much like a show aimed at actual children. I want a Trigger show for manchildren with batshit frenetic energy, not actual children. Waaa waaa
>>
>>156040694
Andrew.
>>
>>156041085
>waiting for the series to end so I can binge watch without their cancer
How exactly does shitposting in a thread on 4chan affect you watching a series? Like, you don't have to go in the threads.
>>
Oh, and I really don't get what happened with the weeping ghost. They had the entire set up for the "Akko uses transformation magic and the help of her friends to entertain the ghost" bit down so well that I called it the moment the weeping ghost was introduced. It was so obvious, but that's because it was thematically perfect with both tying together Akko's treasured friendships and her connection to Chariot. BUT THEN THAT PLAN FAILS AND THEY USE BRUTE FORCE TO RIP THE CURSE OUT AFTER URSULA FETCHES THE SOLUTION EX MACHINA (even though magical brute force was the solution anyway). Her plan might as well have been, "I'm going to eradicate the ghost with a Shiny Arc blast; Fuck friendship and thematic resolution of tension."

There wasn't even a need to subvert the plan by having it fail because they brought in the disqualification excuse anyway.
>>
It's very generic to me.
>>
>>156040694
Akko is just rule 63 classic Naruto
>>
>>156040694
I don't care about shows that are "cute girls doing things" or just generally have little girl main characters.
I'm fine with women as main characters, but little girls can fuck off.
>>
>>156046602
Harry Potter was literally written for children and that manage to have a lot of exciting action and mystery elements.
>>
>>156046602
familiar episode when?
>>
>>156047125
What they tried to do was combine two things into one: the culmination of Akko's bond with her friends, and the discovery of a new word.

Since all of the words so far is a variation of a weapon, it wouldn't make much sense for a weapon to make the ghost laugh. I see the corner the wrote themselves into, and am not defending it; but I can see why they made the decision they did.

Ideally the ghost thing and the weapon thing could have worked in unison.
>>
>>156047816
But they even pre-established Arise Aryan! as ultra-morph in the Chariot memory scene, which was also one of the best scenes in the entire show so far. There was absolutely no need to have it go to sparkly brute force when Chariot used the word to do exactly what Akko's original plan hinged on. It all lined up perfectly with transformation and the power of friendship.

Chariot spinoff when?
>>
>>156045610
You know it's bad when we have to sympathize with fucking Diana
>>
>>156048379
It will be truly hilarious if she figures out Ursula's identity on her own before Akko even gets spoonfed the truth. It's already ridiculous that Akko doesn't even have a twinge of curiosity as to how Ursula is so familiar with the rod and the words. She basically admitted to knowing as many words as Chariot and Akko just nods.
>>
I'm pretty upset with how they've handled their side cast

Like seriously is Lotte even a character at this point?
>>
File: amanda acrobats.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
amanda acrobats.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
I love that Trigger keeps fucking up this series with two crappy pretty dudes and forced romance bullshit. Then make up some cheapass excuse like they thought about bringing boys since the OVAs. Why didn't they do it while they were at it, then? Things would've been different.
This is why you don't fuck with the fans, kids. Don't change the formula if they like it very much and want to keep it like that.
Episodes 6 and 10 would have been great without the shoehorning, but the fact they just hamfisted romance and it just had to have Andrew and Frank in it. Whatever role Andrew and Frank played in those episodes, that role would have been filled better by and actually been enjoyable if it was with Lotte and Sucy or team B or Ursula or some other teacher.
The hamfisting characters or romance into an episode really takes away from the enjoyable parts, but the lackluster resolution of episode 5 doesn't take away from the good parts of episode 5.
Trigger should care because this is their second fluke in a row, Kiznaiver was even worse. If they keep being so unsuccessful they are going to have a hard time finding any investors. I'm surprised they were able to find any anyways, that faggot Tattun said Trigger wasn't on the production committee so they don't see any of the profits, which means it doesn't matter to Trigger whether the show does well or not because it doesn't affect them, which means they can just fuck up the show like they tried to in episodes 6 and 10.
>inb4 "b-b-but Fagrank is a bro!!!1!1!"
He is the type of faggot that was born into a rich family, got a high paying job thanks to nepotism, yet acts like he had to work hard to be where is he and will try to join in on regular people's conversation about their day to day struggles which he has never experienced.
>>
>>156040694
The ova is a nice little thing about channeling the wonder of being a dumb little kid.
The show is some insipid garbage about ancient prophecies and messianic shit. I really can't stand it.
>>
>>156048686
shut the hell up
>>
>>156048686
How can you complain about forced romance when the problem is that there isn't actually any romantic development? They need to force it harder, because two appearances already haven't made Andrew more developed than his standing aloof cameo shot in the first OP. Does he even show up in the second OP?

Romantic interests would have been a fine addition, but they didn't actually add those.
>>
>>156049005
>How can you complain about forced romance when the problem is that there isn't actually any romantic development?
Because Andrew shouldn't have been added to begin with.
>>
>>156040694
YOU PEOPLE ARE SO FUCKING AUTISTIC ENJOY THE FUCKING SHOW
>>
File: 1492217564270.png (235KB, 400x410px) Image search: [Google]
1492217564270.png
235KB, 400x410px
Keep it up.
>>
File: 1487372799093.jpg (16KB, 290x428px) Image search: [Google]
1487372799093.jpg
16KB, 290x428px
>>156040694
What is Akkos hair style called?

>>156040984
And this ones?
>>
>>156048686
Trigger can really only do well with shorts
>>
>>156041697
>>156040694
>reddit spacing
>tumblr gifs
Lurk for 2 years before posting, cancer.
>>
>>156040694
The OVA was just anime girl Harry Potter, and that isn't good enough.

You guys don't fucking care, but artistic value will always be important to me and this has none.
>>
File: 1491932886345.png (278KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1491932886345.png
278KB, 700x700px
>>156049353
>The only show with some kind of artistic value
>Trust me guys, I don't care, but I'm sure this has none

Git gud on your banter m8

Also, we need more Constanze. There's barely any good pics lately
>>
>>156049422
>implying Uchouten Kazoku doesn't shit all over LWA
>>
>>156040694
I like LWA, but LWA fags are insufferable disgusting meme-spouting subhumans.
>>
>>156040694
Because Akko is a shit main character and the rest of the characters are hardly characters at all.
>>
>>156049546
This. LWA It's actually pretty good, or at least decent by todays standards. Yet, the fags on this threads are fucking autists.
>>
I think the show is pretty good and very enjoyable. One of the main complaints I hear is about Akko being a bad character with poor or slow development. I agree on the slow part, but I disagree on her development being poor. She starts off as a lazy goof, then goes to a hard working goof and the part in ep 13 where she actually puts out a semi-competent show was great. We have like 10 episodes left anyways which is enough time for Akko to improve and develop more.

The series has its flaws, like some weak starting episodes and the main plot starting a bit late, but it's definitely a very enjoyable show in my opinion and very fun and vibrant.
>>
>>156049657
>on
>>
>>156049738
Honestly, I thought her lack of improvement was one of the least of her problems.
>>
>>156040777
How do they do pander?
>>
File: Imaishi Yoshinari.jpg (568KB, 1280x2880px) Image search: [Google]
Imaishi Yoshinari.jpg
568KB, 1280x2880px
>>156040777
>>
>>156040694
Because it's a shit show that is over-hyped. The only reason /a/ hasn't dropped the show is because tattun made it so popular.
>>
>>156040694
I'm still watching the show but don't really "like" it.
My biggest gripe are the characters, none of them is even remotely interesting.
The retarded MC is one of the stereotype I hate the most.
There was no sense of improvement over the entire first half, making many episdes feel like filler.
>>
>>156050302
They removed panty-shots because netflix forced them too. We are in a dark age for anime.
>>
>>156050374
Chariot and Sucy are the only things keeping it afloat
>>
>>156050433
I just wish they would hurry up and reveal Chariot's true identity so that she can keep her red hair and never have to wear those ugly megane again.
>>
Akko. Akko is 99% why I dropped this.
>>
>>156049738
This is simply not true.
>>
>little sales academia
>>
>>156050423
I don't really give a fuck about panty-shots being removed but how do you know they did this because Netflix forced them?
>>
>>156050501
tattun confirmed it in one of the earlier threads.
>>
>>156040694
Trigger is and always has been terrible at pacing. Akko has not developed as a character at all in 15 episodes and was literally only given a goal in the last episode. People keep saying "Lol it's slice of life, don't take it so seriously", but the show takes ITSELF too seriously for that to be the case. The mistakes that Akko makes are never played comedically enough for a SOL show, they're presented as an actual obstacle for the character that are frustratingly barely overcome due to the lack of character development.

Can't wait for trigger to try forcing the plot into the last 5 episodes, those fucks cannot construct a plot to save their lives.
>>
>>156046602
>It just feels way too much like a show aimed at actual children.
From what I watched before dropping this, this is miles behind genuine shows for actual children like precure or pripara.
>>
>>156050522
>>156050302

I really find that hard to believe
>>
>>156050628
Didn't you see what they did to Death Note?
>>
Jesus Christ, a LWA thread that I can actually tolerate these days that isn't filled with cancerous fanfic-tier greentext posts.
I myself liked the OVAs, but for the TV series, I just didn't find the overall plot, the worldbuilding, or the characters interesting enough to hold my attention.
>>156044367 and others already pointed out some of the flaws in the writing, and things like that definitely didn't help for me getting invested.
The animation also took a heavy hit, but at least that's understandable.

I also just didn't end up liking Akko's character for many of the reasons >>156045610 described. It's not even like I particularly hate that archetype; I was mostly fine with Noa from Patlabor or Tanabe from Planetes, but Akko's depiction just isn't doing it for me mostly because of how much of a slog her progression became.

Ended up dropping it at around episode 9 or 10, can't remember. Really, the biggest issue by far is the writing.
>>
File: THIS.png (40KB, 392x200px) Image search: [Google]
THIS.png
40KB, 392x200px
>>156049093
>Because Andrew shouldn't have been added to begin with.
>>
>>156050752
I'm an idiot, meant to quote >>156044345
instead of >>156044367
Christ, I need to sleep already.
>>
>>156040694
LWA threads are quickly becoming Monster Girl threads bad.
>>
I'm watching it for the animation.
Visually, it's exquisite but the plot is nothing special.
>>
>>156045271
Her VA is probably in her 50s now and has grandkids.
>>
>>156040694
I don't really like episodic shows. I'm still watching it and going to finish it anyway, but it kinda feels like a chore.
>>
File: IMG_0205.jpg (36KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0205.jpg
36KB, 225x350px
>>156050871
She still looks pretty good, also no kids because lesbian which is why the current character she is voicing has so many yuri fan art.
>>
I know I'll be in the minority here, but I actually like how the show didn't go through with panty shots. Normally I am fine with it, it can be hilariously overdone like Keijo!!!!!, or just be pleasant eye candy. But this show has a certain tone that I think is a small step above using panty shots. I think it would just cheapen it a little bit too much and conflict with the art style.

And for some reason the way they frame shots so that the camera is 1 millimetre below where their ass starts tantalises me. That being said, despite it being a good result because of the context, Japan bowing to NA retarded concepts of decency and censoring it is an overall negative.
>>
>>156040694
I havent watched neither Little Witch Academia nor My Hero Academia and I feel like I should invest time in only one of them. haven't decided yet.
>>
>>156051055
She is still working? I guess there are grannies that needed voicing.
>>
>>156051055
>lesbians

What
>>
>>156046602
I can't think of a Japanese little girl's cartoon I've watched that was worse than this.
>>
I wish i was Akko, Sucy and Lottes friend, thought it would be weird being the sole boy with three girls in a group
>>
I'm just waiting for it to be done so I can watch it.
>>
File: 1491852582086.png (69KB, 314x432px) Image search: [Google]
1491852582086.png
69KB, 314x432px
>>156040694
No nudity because
>muh western pandering!
If I wouldn't want to see naked girls I wouldn't watch anime.
>>
>>156051154
Watch LWA and read Hero Academia because the manga > anime
>>
LWA shouldn't even be allowed on /a/ because it isn't an Anime.
>>
>>156053502
This. LWA is a cartoon for children.
>>
File: 1296982007433.jpg (20KB, 364x344px) Image search: [Google]
1296982007433.jpg
20KB, 364x344px
>>156040694
I don't dislike it, quite the contrary in fact, but it's very hit or miss for me.
It has too many problems, and they usually surface when they make epsiodes less about the characters and more about the "lore".

I mean, the main characters' quality has a pretty big range, but they're all decent enough that they can carry an episode. But the worldbuilding is a complete mess.

For starters, the world doesn't make sense, and by that I mean it can't even play by its own rules.
Just take the fairies episode, they go on strike because they want more magic... yet it was established, and repeated in the episode itself, that they can't live without it. On top of that, based on what we know of fairies, it's easy to assume they were created by the teachers.
There's no reason they should be able to go on strike and have the teachers by their throats if they could just be killed and recreated at the teachers' whim.
And that's when there are rules to begin with. We've known about "computer magic" since OVA 2 and after 1 season we're only beginning to learn what the fuck it's about, and we're still lacking a decent explanation.

This can even hurt the characters when they're strictly bonded with the "lore". Take the headmistress, she's basically FemDumbledore and as such a pretty nice character. Except that, given what we know of Luna Nova, it makes absolutely no sense that she'd be headmistress, especially since she hasn't been shown to be especially competent at anything.

And that's just a few examples, I don't even wanna touch the fucking jew dragon episode... except for saying how OOC everyone there was, especially Akko. And that isn't rare unfortunately.

TRIGGER said that it's a children's show and that's why things are like this, but I'm pretty sure that even as a kid I'd figure out how poorly constructed all is.
And let's not even talk about how dumb it is to make it to children when it owes its existence only thanks to late teens/adults.
>>
>>156045610
Half of the pupils have english as their second language. Stop treating akko as someone special.
>>
>>156040694
I actually do like flawed characters. The problem with Akko is that she's rather static as a character and also way too dense at the same time.
>>
>>156040694
Because the threads are utter fucking crossboarding cancer
>>
File: When he hasnt read the manga.png (557KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
When he hasnt read the manga.png
557KB, 1280x720px
>>156053502
What's it like being 13?
>>
I just recently watched the original LWA project which was the 30 minute... TV Special?...short movie? whatever it was, it had unique art and animation which was refreshing to look at. Other than that, it was boring with a generic witch/wizard type of plot. Had 1 or 2 pretty decent comedic bits, but it's mostly corny tongue-in-cheek type of humor. It did nothing innovative and I see absolutely no reason to continue watching the other film or the TV series. In no way is it above average in terms of story or characters. Saw no potential of it doing anything extraordinary and if people hold it in such high prestige, I sincerely hope they find better anime soon.
>>
>>156040694
>No fan-service

dropped at the 10 secs
>>
File: dun geddit.png (158KB, 438x398px) Image search: [Google]
dun geddit.png
158KB, 438x398px
>>156040694
it's just dropable
the story is enjoyable
the characters are nice except for akko
the world is interesting
but the plot? not there. nothing. absolutely non-existent.
i just don't feel like watching another episode, it doesn't hook me at all. I enjoy watching an episode and then just go do something else, it's not really something i look forward to.
>>
>>156053372
>nudity
Speaking of which, I was rewatching Code Geass recently. I miss when non-ecchi shows had nudity every so often in scenes where it made sense for the characters to be naked. Hence there wasn't a big deal made about it by the characters or the scene itself. Seems like a much rarer occurrence these days.
>>
>>156051055
>openly lesbian anime VA
Wow, that's a rarity.

Also, unless that photo has been touched up or she's wearing a lot of make-up, she's looking well for her age.
>>
>>156040694
I actually had to force myself to get past the first few episodes. Now I'm good, but still.
I'm not sure what went wrong. Maybe because they took a few steps backwards so some time had to be spent before we could go back to the status quo the OVA got us used to?
I dunno, I stuck with it because I'm in love with the art.
>>
>>156040694
I mostly don't like Akko, she's either annoying or boring but never interesting.
Also I don't think the story needed a "technology vs magic" twist.
>>
Akko is so retarded that it's starting to piss me off. The writing ends up being half-baked, as there's no need to put effort in your villain's plan when she's gullible as fuck, or how there's no need to info dump in a way that wouldn't reveal your identity since she's too stupid to notice.
>>
>>156047227
>harry potter
>exiting action
No, you were just 12 when you first read it.
>>
>>156054582
Its amusing you call me child when you watch LWA. Do you also watch the wiggles before school every morning?
>>
>>156055423
Practically nonexistent.
>>
>>156040694
It's literally mlp level of cringefest. Animation was the only good thing that came out of OVA's. Given that its only saving point would be lost due serialisation, I didn't even bother watching it any further.
>>
I hate fun.
>>
>>156055911
Is it too much to ask just for some casual nudity where it's contextually relevant? And not to have a huge deal made about it? If I recall correctly, the Code Geass nudity didn't even impact on its age rating (I could be wrong on that though).
>>
>>156053731
>>TRIGGER said that it's a children's show and that's why things are like this
Did they actually say this?
>>
>>156055810
Go back to your Death Notes and JewJews kid, that's real anime for matoor weebs like yourself
>>
>>156049005
>Does he even show up in the second OP?

Yes. Another aloof two second cameo.

>Romantic interests would have been a fine addition

Wrong.

>but they didn't actually add those

And thank Trigger for that. The show doesn't need them.
>>
>>156050773
Both Andrew episodes have been really fun, so I'm fine with him existing
>>
File: 134534270542.jpg (12KB, 333x360px) Image search: [Google]
134534270542.jpg
12KB, 333x360px
>>156051055
>also no kids because lesbian

Excuse me?

>>156051235

Ursula is in her late 20's.
>>
>>156057438

No.

I don't know why the fuck they are memeing that.

They said they wanted to do something like kids and adults with enjoy on the same lines of Nintama Rantaro because not everything has to be KLK'S or Kiznaivers.
>>
File: akko inspired.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
akko inspired.gif
2MB, 500x281px
Op here back from working the night shift.

holy crap this thread blew up. Gonna take forever to read this all. I wasn't expecting this.

Thanks guys, love or hate this show, you are all awesome.
>>
>>156057686
I gladly will once you take your Steven Universe tier """""anime""""" and leave. I'd suggest tumblr since your tastes are the same as theirs.
>>
>>156041844
This

And her character type is so freaking stale. It would be one thing to say

>well, this is aimed at children, they probably like this

But most of the audience is made up of adults.

She just comes off as a little shit a lot of the time. I get the feeling that whenever she is lectured, the audience is supposed to feel sorry for her, but instead, I often feel like whoever is lecturing her is completely in the right.
>>
>>156051055

Hold your horses, did you just said Noriko Hidaka is a lesbian?

Wut?
>>
File: 1483653580744.png (188KB, 245x300px) Image search: [Google]
1483653580744.png
188KB, 245x300px
>>156057907
Never watched Steven Universe so I don't get the comparison, outside of the MC being overemotional, but then pretty much every anime that isn't edgy shit would belong on tumblr if that's your point.

Have a Jojo reference for your troubles
>>
>>156058020
Are you pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>156050628
Don't believe him. That's bullshit.
LWA was meant to be a pg-13 "meant for everyone" type of show. Why the fuck would they show pantyshots in a kids show which they expected to be viewed by westerners?
>>
>>156057133
>Is it too much to ask just for some casual nudity where it's contextually relevant?
I know that feel.
>Code Geass nudity didn't even impact on its age rating
If I remember well only s1 had nipples. s2 tortured us with barbe dolls.
>>
File: diana chardesign.jpg (242KB, 1024x673px) Image search: [Google]
diana chardesign.jpg
242KB, 1024x673px
>casual nudity
I wish. They designed 10/10 characters and the best we can hope is to show their navel.
Better not even hurting myself.
>>
ITT buttblasted yuri fags
>>
>>156058561
I don't see anyone, though.
>>
>>156058545
The show isn't getting much decent porn either.
>>
>>156058665
>2 doujin at sadpanda
Yeah, better not even start it.
>>
>>156041697
>anything: "Don't do this thing, it will end bad."
>Akko: "LETS DO THIS THING! AH PFFF WHAT COULD GO WRONG?!"
>shit blows up in her face, possibly hurting those around her.
>Akko acts surprised.
>Teachers and mentor have to clean her shit up.
>Her friends get equal punishment because she made the poor judgement call.
>pure luck, circumstance and shitty teachers keep enabling this poor behavior.

When will this end?
>>
>>156058545
Barbara with the super round face is cute.
>>
>>156058777
It literally ended like three episodes ago.
>>
>>156058365
There are two kinds of pantyshots though. The sexualizing ones, and the ones used to convey innocence (think Kiki in Kiki's delivery service).
>>
I take it that almost everyone here hasn't watched the second cour.
If you dropped it by the first cour, I suggest skipping that part and wait for 3 or more episodes to come out in the second cour, and then jump straight to that part.
You will only miss bits of details, but it's still watchable. Just see if you like the tone shift of the second cour.
>>
>>156058365
If I want to see panties I open a Victoria Secret catalog. It's casual nudity what we miss what was even in fucking Ghibli shows.
>>
>>156059011
>>156059090
You fucking pedos are pathetic and should be gassed on the spot.
>>
>>156040694
From its existence I gave shit on it. Why would I turn against myself and watch it?
>>
LWA is lightly salted cardboard, I don't understand how anyone could love or hate it.
>>
File: c20.jpg (22KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
c20.jpg
22KB, 640x360px
>>156059113
You know that two of the most popular characters are cakes, right?
>>
>>156040694
>>156041697

Went through something familiar long ago

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179061/
>>
It's bland as hell.
>>
>>156059192
Oh, you meant that. I apologize.
Go on because I actually agree on that part. We only get ass shots of Ursula though.
>>
>>156059113
This is an objective fact though, it doesn't have anything to do with your fantasy projection of my sexuality.
>>
>>156044293
Yeah, I love derps.
>>
>>156057900
Are you ironically shitposting or this is how you actually post? It reeks of reddit.
>>
>>156055722
Nope, even the movies managed to have exciting action. The Potter madness died down, I don't see why you still feel the need to be a contrarian.
>>
File: 13351792961383.jpg (39KB, 300x310px) Image search: [Google]
13351792961383.jpg
39KB, 300x310px
>>156059275
Ironic coming from someone trying so hard to fit in
>>
>>156058203
The retard here would be you, my friend. Wanna give those shitty comparisons another try?
>>
>>156059307
He's right though. It was suspiciously exuberant.
>>
>>156059243
>>156059229
>>156059192
Sorry, I don't do well with unpure stuff.
>>
>>156059279
It still breaks my heart that Harry Potter made all that money for its author by the Crestomanci series never really caught on in the mainstream. That old lady deserved more money before she gave up on her life and let her illness kill her.
>>
>>156051055
>lesbian

I think you're joking.

Mainly because I've been shipping her with Kappei Yamaguchi for years
>>
>>156040694
I wouldn't say I dislike it, but you have to admit it's not as good as it could be.
It's mediocre at best right now.
The main reason being that it's paddled as fuck.
Try writing the actual content of any episode on a paper : there is shit on it.
They are trying to drift away from the combat mecanic of a shounen, but at the same time they are doing an anime with shounen value.
The end result is that we got the moral lessons and all that jazz of the genre, but none of the (relative) good thing that come with it.
When an episode is sufficiently confy, it's still okay. But when it's cliché situations or quiproquo, fake love or rivalry shenanigans, it's just boring and lifeless.
>>
>>156059275
>Some Trigger employee confirmed posting in LWA threads, there was even a producer Q&A.
>s2 was announced today.

Not sure if that's the case, but hope dies last.
>>
>>156053652
>>156053502
You're dumb as hell and don't know what "anime" means.
>>
>>156059359
>purefags
Can't we just burn them at the stake already
>>
>>156059359
Don't worry. The viewers do.
>>
>>156059413
>the combat mecanic of a shounen
Are you an idiot or just ignorant?
>>
>>156059359
Nobody said anything about unpure stuffs. Maybe your mind is what dirty.
>>
>>156040694
This show has made me realize Trigger really can't write for shit. Akko's just plainly intolerable.
>>
>>156059385
Well, hey, at least they kinda shit up Harry Potter with that canon Cursed Child story. But I see where you come from, and as I said, the Potter madness died down, so most people who saw the movies don't even know about what I mentioned.

>>156055526
As others said, the worldbuilding is iffy, the characterization is fucked, too. It's a shame, I was pleasantly surprised by the OVAs.
>>
>>156040694
>t I know at least one person who didn't enjoy the shorts and gave up on the series pretty early.
i'm not enjoying the series overall but i'm still not dropping it because some of the individual episodes are fantastic, like the sucy mind one
>>
>>156040694
Shills.
The show is bad. Nothing special.
Shills.
The show isn't good. Nothing special
Shills.
Overrated.
Shills.

These are the reason.
>>
>>156040694
>Akko is anoying not so much novadays, but still never got retribution the shits she caused
>popular side characters had almost no screentime, Amandy and Lotte had like one sentence in the latest episode, Soucy doesn't even shown up
>introducing Andrew only to not do anything with him, his friend has bigger impact to the show than he has
>no nudity
>the animation was always cheaper than it was int the ova, but recent episodes was almost on naruto level quality
>>
>>156059418
You're dumb as hell if you think LWA is an anime when it looks like every show on Cartoon Network.
>>
>>156046475
Nah, people who accept shitty writing like you are the ones who should fuck off
>>
>>156059627
Nice bait, faggot.
Next you will say Kemono Friends is not anime.
>>
>>156059627
Once again, you're proving that you don't know what "anime" means.

>inb4 desperate google search to "prove" you know
>>
>>156059627
>his friend has bigger impact to the show than he has

Frank is a miracle of the universe. Andrew could go eat a dick.

>>156059627

Newfag/Crossboarder detected.
>>
Mainly, I'm just disappointed with what direction they took the series. This is my own fault, but I was expecting crazy magical hijinks with symbolism towards animation sprinkled throughout. This in turn, caused me to overhype the series as a few episodes passed and it was more SoL than anything.

I didn't hate it, and I stuck around to watch it, but it pales in comparison to how I feel about the OVAs. This might change over the last stretch of the show, but I remain cynical.
>>
>>156059627
You probably think the Boondocks and Avatar the last air bender are anime
>>
I'm fine with slow plots, but if something has a slow plot, it has to make up for it in either world or characters. For a world full of magic and monsters, it surprisingly lacks a sense of adventure and it has too many characters that it doesn't give any attention to. There should have been crazy magic shenanigans every episode (some episodes do this well, but the majority don't), while shifting around the focus between the cast in order to keep things fresh and making all the girls interact in an entertaining, meaningful way. The over-focus on Akko trying to improve led to irrelevant characters we'll never see again being pulled in and eating up screentime, while seeing her fail the same magic trick over and over and over again, when she should have been having meaningful interacts with her fellow students, who are recurring characters, that causes her to learn magic better while bonding with them. I think they should have had more episodes like the broom race, or like the cockatrice event in episode 1. Sucy's episode was good too. I don't hate Akko, it's just boring watching her struggle alone and fail at doing the same thing over and over again.
>>
>>156059727
Its a western cartoon that is in Jap. Are you saying the only difference between anime and cartoons is the language that is spoken?
>>
File: 1492363941076.gif (156KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1492363941076.gif
156KB, 500x500px
episode 9 was so shit that i dropped it
>>
>>156059917
No he didn't say that at all. He is saying its a western cartoon that is in jap. If the only difference in anime and cartoons was the language, then it wouldn't be a cartoon. It would be an anime.
>>
>>156040694
The characters are plain archetypes with no depth which range from meh to fucking annoying/stupid, and the plot isn't engaging. See if it had good characters then that would counterbalance a lack of plot (see: SoL) and if it had a good plot then it would somewhat counterbalance bland characters, but instead it has none of either.

Also the threads here are completely overrun with low quality crossboarders, and are so bad that it's even making me like the show less even though I'm a proponent of "fanbase shouldn't dictate your opinion of a show".
>>
>>156040694
Yoshinari is the GOAT animator but he's still a bit sloppy as a director and creator. I hope his next project will be better, if he gets to be a director from now on at all.
>>
>>156040694
The whole series is shallow as fuck. There's no tension and certainly no emotion. I couldn't care less for anything that has happened so far.

I mean, Akko wants to be a witch just to make magic tricks for kids. You can't be more shallow than that.

Even if they give her a reason, like saving the magic world in itself, who cares, the world doesn't seem to need magic anyway.

The only reason I've watched the show so far is because I like how Trigger animate characters.
>>
the LWA series is an empty shell of the original.
the 1st LWA was:
fresh, new, beautifully drawn, with high enough fps. the animation was top tier and it had a story to tell.
now the problem is, most of these are physically impossible to replicate in a weekly series with budget and time restrictions.
the only stuff you're really left to work with is, story, worldbuilding and characters.
trigger proves EVERY TIME they can't tell a story with decent pacing. EVERY ANIME THEY MAKE consists of two parts:
1. slice of life borefest with barely anything going on. while the writers figure out what they want.
2. a rushed clusterfuck of shit with no budget left.
victims so far: kill la shit, luluco, LWA,
the characters were fine in the ovas but they can't fill in for 25 episodes without development. what new stuff did we learn so far? suchy is a huge asshole, glasses is a twilight fan and akko is a misplaced side character.
>>
File: tumblr_okxbhawz0u1tjhhx1o1_500.gif (627KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_okxbhawz0u1tjhhx1o1_500.gif
627KB, 500x281px
1. Akko is lazy and retarded (she will only develope by Yays, that is plain stupid for a MC, just choose one)
2. 19 min per episode of comfy stuff with diana being diana, some bully to Akko by teacher/bully duo, and Akko whinning to friends to be chariot and 2 min of anticlimatic asspull stuff that no one knows where they came from (the characters do literally nothing to reach that climax and just like suddenly learn how to yay the problems, except for Ursula-sama of course)
For me it's sonething like that, but i'm still waiting for the Amanda episode, or the death of Ursula.
>>
>>156061424
This is due to Yoshinari he has always been a brilliant animator but now that he is a Director and has to develop a long running story on a budget. I cant help but feel he might a little inexperienced. Because every episode isn't exactly impactful to character development and growth. The lore is being explained but in a forced way it feels like it just doesn't flow naturally where you are not saying ok whens the lore exposition?
Thread posts: 200
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.