[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anything more boring and generic than a tournament

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 4

Is there anything more boring and generic than a tournament arc in anime?
>>
Tournament arcs are never not great
>>
>>156003748
>Heaven's arena
>>
Hot springs episode
>>
The beach episode.
>>
beach
>>
The cultural fair episode
>>
>>156003684
The let's study together episode
>>
>>156003684
Tournament arcs tend to be some of, if not the best arcs in their shows. You're fucking drunk.
>>
I don't really like the outcome.
It was either Todoroki or Bakushit but they way Bakushit won was a huge let down.
Instead of some epic battle they went "Eeeeeehh?"
>>
>>156003684
Beach episode
>>
File: 1368819351125.png (16KB, 291x300px) Image search: [Google]
1368819351125.png
16KB, 291x300px
>>156004107

>how do you solve this?
>oh you do this and this
>naruhodo
>shall we take a break?

YOU DID ONE FUCKING QUESTION
>>
>>156004011
>>156004055
>>156004078
>>156004090
>>156004107
>>156004190
These all last like one episode

Tournament arcs can last FOREVER
>>
>>156004213
Because a good tournament arc can put the secondary cast into a spotlight they don't normally get to enjoy, and play with hypotheticals like members of the protagonist-group fighting each other
>>
>>156004213
Beach episodes are literally the same thing all over again. If you watched one you pretty much watched them all.
Tournaments can at least play with you're expectations and add a new gimmick or something
>>
>>156004213
Training arcs are worse, the only good ones are HxH and DB.
>>
>>156004213
But tournament arcs are actually entertaining if done right, like the Dark Tournament. You could file the names off of beach episodes in every single anime containing them, and they'd all literally be the same exact shit yet again.
>>
>>156003684
anyone else hate that the first like 5 minutes of each episode has just been explaining what happened last time? like can i just skip all of it and episode 12 will just be a recap of the whole season?
>>
>>156004345
Or for sports manga

The Christmas Tournament if Eyeshield 21 is top-tier
>>
>>156003684
>let's just walk and discuss life changing events like they had been trivial the whole time
>ff
>>
>>156003684
Even though I don't watch these types of shows anymore because I'm not 10 years old anymore, I always liked tournament arcs.
>>
>>156003684
>we are really fighting but you don't need THAT many frames to understand this
>D R O P P E D
>>
>>156003684
>cute shy girl changes her ways only to realize she shouldn't; and in doing so, doesn't
>>
>>156004506
yeah but SAO didn't have one so they're beef to me now
>>
>>156004506
It's because the reason most people watch fight shonen is for the shonen fights. Tournament arcs cut the chaff away, leaving you with back to back fights, potentially involving characters that don't normally get the spotlight.
>>
>>156003684
>side characters with no personality who need 2 episodes of help
>>
>>156004560
The gun gale arc was technically a tournament arc
>>
>>156004591
Is it any surprise that SAO managed to fuck up something as simple as a tournament arc?
>>
>>156004591
>kirito vs bullets
>tournament
sure buddy I'm actually drinking tea right now your and idiot
>>
>>156003684
>plug & play transformation animations
>>
>>156004620
I said technically because story wise he was in a tournament, even though it wasn't the same kind of tournament arc we're talking about.
>>
>>156003684
There's you.
>>
>>156003684
>'my father died so I could do this for him!'
>not a valid plot point
>>
>>156003684
The best thing about some shonens is the tournament arc, like in GBF, DBZ, Yu yu hakusho, HxH, Naruto, Law of Ueki, Shokugeki no Souma, Eyeshield 21, Major, Slam dunk, haikyuu, Grappler Baki, Kenichi, Hajime no ippo, Ashita no joe and many others
>>
>>156003684
>antagonist sympathizer learns some new fact
>outwardly becomes a new person
>>
>>156004452
dude its only under 2 minute don't make i like a big deal.
>>
>>156003684
>protagonist with no character flaws
>empathy causes loss and suffering
>plot armor so thick some characters might as well dodge bullets
>death speeches during battles with the camera on the dying guy instead of the fighting
>he spoke for 3 minutes
>>
>>156004617
Why fuck up? GGO was cool
>>
>>156003748
>The Dark Tournament
>>
>>156004620
Your: "a form of the possessive case of you used as an attributive adjective"
You're: "contraction of you are"
Learn the difference idiot. In4 "not english speaker" well neither am I but that shut hurts the eye.
>>
>>156004908
>Swordu arto onlyne
>episoda won
>shoot the bitch with your guns BANG BANG
>>
>>156004923
it's a meme dip
>>
>>156004908
>GGO was cool
I thought so too until I rewatched it and realized how fucking stupid it was

The whole resolution relies on Kirito remembering some nobody PKer from SAO. On top of that is the fact that the rest of the plotline relies on something that A1 didn't even adapt during the first season yet keeps trying to flashback to SAO to fill us in on this supposedly epic battle that went down without any of the audience knowing about it before
>>
>>156004982
And the usual inconsistent and stupid worldbuilding

And Kirito having no particular reason to act the way he does throughout the season.
>>
Some of the most memorable battle shounen arcs are tournaments, but it's very easy to make them dull. Tournament arcs tend to be really good when they are all about grandstanding. Big impressive displays of power, strength, etc, scenes that showcase how cool the characters are. Making the audience a big part of it always helps, and putting some kind of larger, more important conflict behind the tournament also amps up the tension and stakes for the main character.

If a battle shounen does a tournament arc and there's never a moment that makes you feel really smug about a character showing off, then it's probably failed its purpose.
>>
>>156004815
that shit adds up, you got 1:30 for the stupid op, like 3 minutes recapping, another 60 on the shit ending then some after clips the whole thing is like 10 minutes per episode, and they do the same shit during the episode too how many times do they need to show the guy freezing the robots? we get it you're edge
>>
>>156004982
>nah u think 2 shallow
>all asada has to do is figure her buddy is buddies with death gun
>I mean how long could it take
>the mechanics in ggo were stupid af though
>debatably worst shooter I've ever heard of
>>
>>156005101
Proving a crowd that's not on your side wrong is always good
>>
>>156005168
Yes exactly. Competitor vs Crowd is one of the best tournament dynamics. Also really simple things like a really hyped up competitor that everybody thinks is going to win getting utterly destroyed in the first round by some unknown guy.
>>
>>156005204
honestly I like the vegeta/sasuke type vs the underdog secondary character. always gets emotional. but goes to show these shows really running out of steam
>>
>>156005294
At this point I only read shounen series for nostalgia, even if it's a new series it still hits all the same old cliches so it's like reading all the stuff I liked for the first time again. Provided it hits the right notes of course. It's just as easy to get sick of it.
>>
>>156005101
It's not necessarily about grandstanding so much as the characters themselves. If the characters aren't interesting the arc fails. A good example to contrast is Dark Tournament vs. Demon World Tournament.

With the Dark Tournament, almost all the participants were new characters, and pretty much all of them were well written, with a defined personality, goals, and desires, all building up to the final fight.

Meanwhile, what happened with the Demon World Tournament? A literal no-name you saw introduced for all of 5 minutes won offscreen, the main villain was boring, and the cast that wasn't carried over from the previous arcs could have been replaced with bricks with no one the wiser.
>>
>>156004982
I mean, to give credit where it's due, at least A1 made the series better than the novels.
It's still beyond redemption, but let's be real here, nobody could faithfully adapt this and make it even tolerable
>>
>>156005440
Yeah, A1 adds a layer of polish to make it somewhat tolerable.

I'm baffled why anyone would play any of the games in these LNs, because the mechanics seem horribly thought out and the games seem like an awful grindfest. I mean SAO flat-out discourages teamwork with last-hitting
>>
>>156004213
TOGETHER
>>
>>156005393
What made Dark Tournament work was Yusuke's team being ultimate underdogs who were hated by the audience. Constantly booed, everybody wanted them to die, nobody expected them to win. Every victory they won was a big "fuck you!" to the demon audience. And how over time they managed to win over that same audience, the audience that hated them and wanted them dead cheered for Yusuke in the end. That's a fucking great feeling. And all the little moments along the way, seeing each member stand out and show off. You feel that satisfaction when Kurama wins in a really classy way that makes the arena go silent, or when they cower in fear when Hiei unleashes his power, or when Yusuke tells them all to eat his ass and gives them the finger after sparing his opponent.
>>
>lets go to our rich friends western style villa where we can wear shoes inside
>>
>>156005511
>I mean SAO flat-out discourages teamwork with last-hitting
You mean the game doesn't hold your hands and makes things interesting? Oh noes the horror.

It says a lot about the state of the current games industry that considers mollycoddling potatoes and "everyone is a winner!" as necessary features to be considered good.
>>
>>156005762
Wow, you're retarded.

I bet you legitimately like the grindiest, most P2W Korean moeshit MMOS.
>>
>>156005820
>he doesn't like grindy moeshit mmos
P2W is shit though, I'll give you that
>>
>>156003684
A thread about how boring and generic they are
>>
>>156003684
You
>>
>>156005440
nah it was worse than the novels
not by much, granted
>>
File: Ikki.png (524KB, 640x484px) Image search: [Google]
Ikki.png
524KB, 640x484px
>>156003684

>Tournament gets interrupted and never resumes

Is there a more annoying trope?
>>
>>156003748

The Three Kings tournament was pure shit
>>
>>156005627

So, Tournament arcs need to be more like Wrestling?
>>
>>156006186

I can recall far more interrupted tournaments than tournaments with a proper ending. The thing is, tournaments are like when a plan is explained to the audience, we know what's going to happen so the safe bet is to subvert the expectations and finish it off in another way.
>>
I find most tournaments to be a bunch of fun, it's exciting to see characters you know fighting, specially if they are in different teams.
>>
>>156006268
We need more villains like roman reigns
>>
>>156003684
FUCKING idiot, why didn't you put "My Hero Academia" in the subject? I didn't know there was another general up and running
>>
>>156004803
SnS is basically just one big fucking tournament arc
>>
the Dark Tournament in YYH was pretty good
>>
desu in addition to tournament arcs i wish we got more actual training arcs prior to them instead of just the protag saying they're gonna train and it happening off screen

it feels more rewarding to see them get stronger and defeat their rivals if we get to witness the effort they put into it, especially if it's super excruciating/dangerous training from hell, show us how difficult it was to get dat power boost pls
>>
>>156004011
>>156004055
>>156004078
>>156004190
fags
>>
>>156003684
Everything is boring and generic if poorly executed.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.