[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious Question: If characters are drawn with predominantly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0889.jpg (589KB, 1936x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0889.jpg
589KB, 1936x1936px
Serious Question:

If characters are drawn with predominantly white/european features, or are flat out Aryan like in Full Metal Alchemist for example, why do people screech about whitewashing? I mean I can understand the hatred of that Death Note movie or of GiTS doing it, but what about characters like Goku who are in universe aliens?
>>
>>155312466
>why do people
It's not "people", it's SJWs.
Sane people don't do that.
>>
Son Goku was designed as a more humanized form of Sun Wukong, a mythological figure from China, so it is pretty much normal that he looks Asian.
>>
>>155312667
But anon he doesn't look Asian

Look at OPs pic. In fact, most characters in DBZ don't look Asian. 17 and 18 look asian? Bulma? I always saw the world of DBZ as incredibly varied, just look at characters like Hercule and all the kids Gohan went to school with. In universe Goku is an alien with more features in common with certain characters. He looks nothing like Yajirobe or Tao Pai
>>
>>155312466
there is nothing predominantly european about massive eyes, lightbulb shaped heads, impossibly small noses tiny, and pointy chins. You are honestly just delusional. The reason anime looks the way it does is because it's supposed to be unique and attention grabbing.
>>
>>155312466
if you look at a profile view of an anime character they tend to look more like black people, with the portruding mouth/chin and rounded foreheads. From the front they look like whatever the fuck. they look more african in profile view than they look european
>>
Wait people are screeching whitewashing about the Death Note remake? Aren't they actually adapting that one into a western setting? GitS I get since they just made all the Japs white but kept the setting.
>>
>whitewashing Death Note
Honestly a bigger problem is L being the type of man who wears fucking shoes, what the FUCK
>>
>>155312966
doesn't git take place in china
>>
>>155312966
>Wait people are screeching whitewashing about the Death Note remake?
Not really
/a/pol/ was mad because L was black though, of course.
>>
>>155312466
I don't think people cared enough about the Dragon Ball adaption to complain about it. In fact, I had completely forgotten it ever happened and was racking my brains wondering what you were on about. Fuck you for making me remember it ever existed.
>>
>>155312466
Because it is more important to have something to complain about than it is to have a valid complaint.
>>
>>155312466
Saiyans are how asians view themselves. They can evolve and become white like super saiyans or they can devolve and become niggers like oozarus.
>>
File: Daikouji_ryu01.png (298KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Daikouji_ryu01.png
298KB, 1280x720px
>>155312466
>anime characters
>white

Only dumbasses think this. It's pretty clear when a character is supposed to be white or black. Big noses or big lips. If people really dont think Light or Goku are Asian theyre retards
>>
>>155312466
You're arguing based on the presumption that the artists actually give their characters ethnic features. Most don't, other than maybe some stereotypical stuff (e.g. American = big nose). The few that do typically have a more (semi-)realistic style, like Urusawa or Ootomo, and Toriyama definitely is not one of them.

>or are flat out Aryan like in Full Metal Alchemist for example
I can guarantee you, once the upcoming live-action movie comes out, there will be complaints right here on /a/ about the actors being Japanese. The opposite happens too.
>>
>>155312466

People complained when a Halloween skin "white washed" a character on Over-watch, totally ignoring the fact that it was just make up on a vampire costume.

Now, you are telling me you are surprised people would complain about something like this while knowing next to nothing about DB / DBZ, nor caring about it, even?
>>
>>155312870
It's ok to imagine most anime characters as being white because they usually have white skin and diverse features (which asians don't have).
>>
>>155312466
Because SJW's actually believe that anime are "neutral" and everyone just self-inserts their race, instead of the completely obvious truth that anime characters are drawn to look caucasian.

Which is why it's so funny when you point out characters drawn to look asian or black.
>>
>>155312466
>>155312966
>>155313077
>>155313922
dubs
>>155313222
trips
>>
>>155316876
Must be nice being able to go through life putting anything and anyone that challenges your preconceived notions in the same box that can be ignored at one's leisure.
>>
File: 1489325612776.jpg (131KB, 1310x873px) Image search: [Google]
1489325612776.jpg
131KB, 1310x873px
>>155316876
>instead of the completely obvious truth that anime characters are drawn to look caucasian.
>>
File: white characteristics.png (485KB, 596x599px) Image search: [Google]
white characteristics.png
485KB, 596x599px
>>155316876
>>155319105
>>155319783
>>
>>155320717
So on the left you've got a western woman who's probably a model and on the right you've got the ugliest Asian woman they could find a profile picture of. Real sincere comparison that.
>>
>>155312803
They're cartoon characters, they don't even look white, they look like cartoon characters you fuck.
>>
>>155321147
most asians look like that though
>>
Goku is an alien though
>>
>>155321262
And most westerners don't look like the one on the left.
>>
>>155321170
>they look like cartoon characters
Only correct answer. Most characters in anime don't look Caucasian but simply like cartoon characters. Ever seen someone with natural blue hair? Or eyes that cover 30% of their face? Besides who the fuck cares.
>>
we was cartoon characters and shit
>>
>>155321376
bullshit. anime characters for the most part share facial features/bone structure of the majority of westerners
>>
>>155321545
I recommend going outside once in a while and look at the people there, not just the ones that were paid to be photographed or filmed.
>>
>>155321780
i recommend taking a long hard look at the most common trait that asians share and how often it is represented in anime
>>
File: Dr. Slump v10-008.jpg (924KB, 2037x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Dr. Slump v10-008.jpg
924KB, 2037x3056px
>>155312803
Toriyama doesn't even make his Chinese stereotypes look like Asians.
>>
>>155321905
You're just as bad as niggers that claim tanned characters are black, stop embarrassing yourself man.
>>
>>155322437
excellent response my tomodachi
>>
>>155322351
>that last panal

my dick
>>
>white people think anime is about them
WE WERE 2D
>>
File: nopperabou.jpg (215KB, 1332x1388px) Image search: [Google]
nopperabou.jpg
215KB, 1332x1388px
>>155321905
Some exceptions not withstanding, they're pretty much not represented, because there's simply no attempt at representing such things in the first place. Practical considerations (how easy it is to draw, how expressive it is even from a distance), appeal considerations (being different enough from the competition to stand out, but similar enough to not chase people away) and creativity matter more than realistic facial bone structure. It's why this blob of a shape can become a face by putting a sticker on it.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.