[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do the gooks do this shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 10

File: FMA_Crucifixion.jpg (54KB, 380x322px) Image search: [Google]
FMA_Crucifixion.jpg
54KB, 380x322px
Seriously. Random symbolism that makes no sense. We're to believe greed was a Christ figure or some shit? Also lol at America for censoring it.
>>
Eva was full of this. Just random crosses. Anno even doubled down on them for rebuild.
>>
they probably just think it looks cool
>>
a crucifix is a torture and execution device
>>
>>154460374
And he did it all because he thought it was cool.
Fucking Anno.
>>
>tied to the crucifix

Every fucking time.
>>
>>154460340
Yeah because it's not like crucifixion was used on anyone besides Jesus or the centuries before he existed or anything
>>
>>154460803
>implying that's not what the romans did
Fuck wasting iron nails on scummy criminals, why would you bother when you could use rope, it would work just as well since the point of cruxifiction is to make the victime die of exhaustion
>>
>>154460809
That's not how it works anymore. In the canon of literature, someone crucified is a Christ figure
>>
>>154460340

I bet you'd claim something set in ancient India was Neo-Nazi propaganda because it showed some swastikas too.
>>
>>154460900
Friendly reminder that Tite Kubo is a litteral nazi.
>>
>>154460340
Believe it or not Nips are fascinated by Christian mysticism. Crosses, saints, the character of Jesus himself (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shing%C5%8D,_Aomori#Tomb_of_Jesus_Christ), and esoteric Christian Kabalism.

It's not unlike how the West was fascinated with Egyptian mysticism not too long ago. Something about 1 culture just resonates with another in a way that makes them interested.
>>
>>154460947

Well yeah, but I mean any other mangoscribbler.
>>
>>154460340
They just think the cross looks cool af.
>>
>>154460340
Because Christianity is exotic to them. Meanwhile Western works go out of their way to remove Christian influences, such as with that localized scan you posted, because it triggers the fedoras state side; I can't remember the last Western vampire to be harmed by a cross, but anime is filled with combat priests using God as a source of applied phlebotinum.
>>
>>154460340
Do americans really think jesus was the only person nailed to a cross?
>>
>>154461125
He's the only person who matters that was nailed to a cross besides St. Peter
>>
>>154461125
Nah, he was just the one to make it mainstream.
>>
>>154460340
I LOVE YOU JESUS CHRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST
>>
>>154460340
>>154460374
>>154460730
>>154460793
Eva or any other show with christian symbolism isn't pretentious, just culturally ignorant. It's essentially the same thing as us using greek symbolism in Percy Jackson. Using something because it seemed cool isn't pretentious, pretentious is using something to make the viewer think you're deep when you aren't. The Matrix is pretentious, not Eva. The Matrix knows very well what all the symbolism means and references the bible all the time for no real purpose.
>>
The cross is a torture instrument. It existed before christianity and after christianity. That's like saying guillotine gorilla from samurai flamenco is a reference to king louis xvi.
>>
This entire thread is cancer.
>>
>>154461025
I agree with what this guy says, although I think it's a bit more of a novel interest than outright fascination.

Remember, Christianity has been in grorious Nipland for centuries, but never really maintained a foothold after the outlawing in the Tokugawa era. So I guess it's something familiar yet different.
>>
>>154461216
Ayyy
>>
File: chu.jpg (83KB, 200x400px) Image search: [Google]
chu.jpg
83KB, 200x400px
>>
>>154461120

No one cares about fedoras. Christian organizations are the ones who cry foul when their iconography is used in media, specifically media that isn't in line with their doctrinal message.
>>
>>154462018
As any self-respecting religion should.
>>
>>154460896
good thing fullmetal alchemist and evangelion isn't western literature
>>
>>154462018
>Christian organizations are the ones who cry foul when their iconography is used in media, specifically media that isn't in line with their doctrinal message.
>Muslims will literally murder you for drawing a picture of Mohammad
How's it feel being the cancer on western society?
>>
File: 1487120361629.jpg (41KB, 536x720px) Image search: [Google]
1487120361629.jpg
41KB, 536x720px
>>154462256
G-g-go back to /pol/ you big meanie!!!
>>
Because they're westaboos and find it "COOL".
>>
>>154462256
Neither of them are real and both would be better off forgotten.

also >>>/pol/
>>
>>154462771
>>154462368
Called it
>>
>>154460340
Americans are stupid and self-absorbed enough to think that every cross that appears in international media is a deliberate reference to or dig at their local brand of Christianity.
>>
>>154461240
>no real purpose
Matrix is a re-tell of the story of Jesus on a modern setting, that is the purpose
>>
>>154461265
Now that you're here
>>
does gook have a new meaning I'm unaware of now?
>>
>>154462871
they arr rookarike
>>
>>154460793
Considering the story is about the birth of species it's not just in there to be cool and Anno both contradicts himself and multiple times says things that basically come down to "Make up your own damn mind on what things mean."

I'm sure it being cool had something to do with it but the seeds being called Adam and Eve serve a purpose even if it's not that deep of one. Saying symbolism is pointless is kinda missing the entire point of it.
>>
>>154460340

Greed is cool so it's okay.
>>
The only manga I can recall of note that has shown Crucifixion and is not aiming for some slapdash Christian symbolism is HxH (if there's others, help me out)

It was to show the extent of human cruelty as the image was shown along side panels with deformed fish, police beatings, and poor kids living in squalid conditions with missing limbs.
>>
>>154462018
No. Most modern content from the West needs to hit you on the head with the concept that God doesn't exist and that faith is impotent. In today's climate the Conjuring almost feels bizarrely religious. For that matter so does Hellsing, with the damage its vampires take from blessed silver and holy water; that's something you never see in Western media.
>>
>>154460340
THE CROSS IS LITERALLY A TOOL USED TO CRUCIFY PEOPLE. JESUS WASN'T A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE, THEY PUT HIM ON WHAT THEY PUT EVERYBODY ELSE ON. IT'S WEIRD TO CRUCIFY SOMEBODY ON SOMETHING THAT ISN'T A CROSS.
>>
Such crap is seriously getting censored there? I though only muslims do these things.
>>
>>154462771
>Bitching about /pol/ in a thread about censorship of religious iconography
Christians don't give a shit about how you use their iconography. It's entirely about fedora-tipping and removing muh christian influences.
The only major religion that flips out over the use of its religious symbols is Islam.
>>
>>154463063
>Saying symbolism is pointless is kinda missing the entire point of it
that and the fact that if a symbol was pointless, it wouldn't be a symbol at all, because the definition of a symbol is something which represents something else.
>>
>>154463235
Yes and it's a parallel to the birth of humanity amoung tons of other things. Like I said, Anno didn't just pick Adam as a name because "christianity is cool" He did it because it was the first of it's kind. Adam the seed to start the species which was planted by "God".
>>
Friendly reminder that crucifixes existed far before jesus was crucified.
>>
>>154463203
American Christian squeamishness/outrage is the root cause of a lot of bizarre censorship decisions in English localized stuff.
>>
>>154463203
It's rare nowadays, but Viz is fucking weird about this shit. Think the only thing they've changed since then was cutting out a sex scene involving kids in Bokurano several years ago.
>>
>>154463400
>cutting out a sex scene involving kids
Why though.
>>
>>154463459
Again, Viz is weird and inconsistent.
>>
>>154463459
Gee who knows what a totally strange thing to cut out I can't imagine why whatsoever
>>
>>154463400
It's kinda fun because I am pretty sure that the anime/manga fanbase consists of people who would never care about that stuff. Manga is always about fighting god or female goddesses with big titts, warrior nuns and crucifixes whenever the author wants to make something feel deep or cool. I really doubt serious religious people would ever touch manga.
>>
>>154463063
but they're called adam and lilith
>>
>>154460852
It takes longer and more energy to make rope then it does to smelt iron nails would be cheaper and more available would also cause more suffering
>>
>>154463773
Yeah, my bad but it's still the same thing. Lilith was said to be Adam's first wife and all that. My main point is that much of the imagery has to do with the God and birth of humanity because of why and how the seeds were placed.

The guy who said it was in there for just being cool wasn't even Anno in the first place, it was the assistant director.
>>
>>154462059
Sure. My argument is simply that popular culture in America isn't responsive to fedoras from r/atheism but rather the Christian majority.

>>154462256
Jesus, get off of your soapbox. Obviously attempts at censorship by Christian organizations are civil and mild when compared to what happens in the Muslim world.
>>
>>154460340
>lol
>no one calls OP out on it
How low /a/ has fallen
>>
why you believers overreact
something matter?
>>
>>154463122
Still Chrollo walks around with an inversed cross in his coat only because it looks cool.
>>
File: 1487446947608.png (127KB, 753x846px) Image search: [Google]
1487446947608.png
127KB, 753x846px
>>154460340
>when an author uses a crucifix they're automatically making an allusion to Christianity!
>>
>>154466299
Kuroro is just an edgelord.
>>
>>154460340
Who even bothered doing all that complicated crucifix with chains and shit among the homonculus? It has to be one of that who set thay scene offscreen. I guess it would be as goofy looking as the three first scenes where Dio is seen using the world to troll the other characters.
>>
>>154467240
Couldn't alchemy technically do that?
>>
>>154465625
The point is, everyone calls out Christians for bullshit while sucking up to Muslims, when Islam is essentially a worse version of it in the long run.
>>
>>154467434
>everyone calls out Christians for bullshit while sucking up to Muslims
Really? Who does this?
Provide example(s)
>>
>>154467339
Yes.
Especially if you have a philosopher's stone.
>>
>>154460852
Crucifixion was a an execution only used for those charged with treason. In that case, a painful and inescapable death is the goal. It is supposed to be a monument to the Empire and what happens to its traitors.
>>
When I think about Jesus dying on the cross to absolve our sins so that we may enter heaven, I can feel God's love and humility for mankind. Then I see the Japs using the cross to look edgy and I feel two nukes weren't enough.
>>
>>154467798
Crucifix was for edgy purposes to begin with.
>>
>>154466230
Well,he revealed that he knows of the story of Jesus. Whatever compelled him to wear St. Peter Cross is probably only known to him.
>>
>>154467798
Blame the semitic turds for using an edgy torture device as their symbol.
>>
>>154463909
>>154463773
>>154463293
>>154463235
>>154463063
>>154461240
> Anno went on about the meaning of Evangelion in an interview.
> Chose the name because it sounded "complicated".
> Staff went on about trying to like past mecha.
> Anno wanted to make a mecha story, doesn't know how EVA got this popular.
They even stated it and never had any intention beyond but the fucking fans go on some transcended meaning or some metaphysical interpretation even though the intention by the creators was clearly stated. They just went out on a limb and you guys put out all sorts of narratives and repeat it. This is lunacy and when people try and say when this is some sort of hidden idea that lies without Anno realizing it or some shit, you're trying to grasp straws out in the ether which doesn't even exist. Evafags are insane.
>>
>>154467876
>>154468220
edgy as a concept didn't even exist back then
edginess is based on motivation
>>
>>154460340
The Crucifix is an ancient torture, execution, and generally unpleasant device.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>154468279
The entire fucking concept was that they'd nail you to the cross and sit you in the middle of town so you'd die over the course of days while everyone could look at you and possibly some crows would start pecking at you. The lashing and whipping and everything was actually considered a MERCY because the more you got whipped, the faster you died instead of getting slowly ripped apart by your own body weight over the course of days. It is literally edgy.
>>
>>154468547
I think the chains kind of ruin that point. You need nails.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (244KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
244KB, 1920x1080px
>>154460340
>>154460374
>>154460730
>>154460793

It DOES look fuckin cool desu
>>
>>154468547
You're a moron along with everyone else in the thread that said the same thing.
>>
>>154468733
I mean at this point it's just the idea behind it, yeah? He's getting dunked in lava or something anyway.

>>154468809
No, anon. You are the idiot. The crucifix remains a torture device in the eyes of everyone who isn't terminally retarded, especially when Greed is obviously not presented as a christ-figure. Oh, but he DOES come back to life...
>>
File: z1464942279828.jpg (30KB, 400x408px) Image search: [Google]
z1464942279828.jpg
30KB, 400x408px
I think NGE gets a pass on it because the story/setting itself is seeped in Christian symbolism, with Christian iconography being part of the regular aesthetic.

Things like in OP are 'okay', but it's pretty obvious it's just pandering 'rule of cool' shit. You would have to be legitimately autistic to hold anime to the same standards as western film when it comes to the implementation of meaningful symbolism
>uuuu but it's stupid
Anime is fucking stupid.
>>
>>154468895
In the literature canon across the fucking globe, a guy on a fucking crucifix is a fucking Christ figure. The nips do this all the time. They random throw in Christian symbolism because it's a SLIGHTLY less subtle in moonland than in the west.
>>
>>154469072
> Think
You don't think. Anno pretty much did this shit >>154468232. Facts.
>>
>>154468232
Most of Eva's use of religious iconography is purely AESTHETIC, as Anno claims

BUT, there are some undeniable symbolic parallels that don't just exist for pure fashion, like
>Kaworu Jesus
>Shinji's stigmata-marked hands
>fruit of life/fruit of knowledge and man's forbidden attempts at Godhood
>Adam & Eve at the end
>>
>>154468232
Anno himself says that the only meaning behind anything he makes is what the viewer sees. I don't believe the creators alone dictate what people can view in it, besides I think it really did evolve into something more with how everything went down with production. They made that shit up as they went along and as Anno was having a full on break down. The game with all that info hidden away shows that a lot of the "hidden" parts of the show were much more than that.

The message isn't hidden it's just not a bunch of exposition dumped on the viewer to hold their hand. It's told through visual means and supplement text but most the former. That means it's very much up to interpretation like all art.
>>
>>154469328
Can you read? I said the entire series aesthetic is based on Christian mythology, so it gets a pass on cross symbolism and whatever. The 'because its cool' reasoning doesn't matter
>>
>>154469339
Again, Anno himself never said it was just to look cool. That quote is taken from Kazuya Tsurumaki, the assistant director.
>>
>>154469339
>>154469378
>>154469490
>>154469519
They only implemented it pretty much just because like they stated. The staff stated they never implied to go beyond your supposed interpretation and DECONSTRUCTION when they wanted to go off of previous mecha. They just went with it and you people made all these metaphysical ideas when it was stated as just implementation with no transcended meaning beyond trying to make it seem cool or some shit. That's it. But you people became engrossed in the SYMBOLISM or GREAT MESSAGE. I repeat, insanity. Saying out of art or AESTHETIC is pure bullshit.
>>
>>154460340
Crucifixion is less tightly bound up with Christianity in Japan. Some history.

Okay, so before Japan sealed its borders and kicked out the Europeans, the Christian missionaries showed up and made a go of converting people. They won a few people over who became a persecuted minority, but that's not the point of our story.

See, the warlords of the day listened to the stories of the missionaries, and you know what they decided? That crucifixion was a TOTALLY METAL way of executing people you really didn't like. So they immediately adopted it, with a few modifications. Those modifications are how you can tell what symbolism is being referenced.

If the person is *nailed* to the cross, like in Eva, then it's Christian symbolism. If the person is *tied* to the cross, like Greed is in the OP, then it's Japanese "executing a prisoner deemed the worst of the worst" symbolism. That goes double if they're tied to a cross and then killed by two executioners using spears.

And now you know.
>>
>>154469735
Can you read? I said the entire series aesthetic is based on Christian mythology, so it gets a pass on cross symbolism and whatever. The 'because its cool' reasoning doesn't matter

You would have to be legitimately autistic to hold anime to the same standards as western film when it comes to the implementation of meaningful SYMBOLISM or GREAT MESSAGES
>>
>>154469072
>pandering
What the fuck does pandering even mean anymore?
>>
>>154469755
Doesn't matter. That's like spray painting a swastika and calling it a Hindu symbol. It doesn't matter if you're technically right, it's how the rest of us see it that matters.
>>
>>154460340
Crosses are only cool in middle school.
>>
>>154469755
I'd say it's more symbolism in FMA than it is in Eva given the whole circumstances surrounding Greed especially since he does resurrect in a way and the whole Alchemy theme does tie into religion for obvious reasons.
>>
>>154461120
>Atheists get triggered
No, actually it's the Christians that get triggered. They hate misuse of their symbols, especially in context to satanic imagery or in reference to magic.
>>
>>154469277
>in literature canon across the fucking globe
Gonna stop you right here because Christian symbolism isn't a thing in East Asian literature or mythologies and hasn't been until recently, the cross represents a lot more than that. Also, especially when writing about say, the Romans, the crucifix is an important symbol. Of torture.

>>154469864
>I'm wrong but it doesn't matter
Kill yourself, the swastika appears commonly in Japanese media as a hindu-buddhist symbol, or do you think that Ichigo is supposed to be a nazi?
>>
>>154469864
>the rest of us
Japanese people understand that it can be used as christian imagery but also understand that this isn't all it represents. You're not the target audience.
>>
>>154470081
>If I exaggerate the issue maybe it will make him look retarded.
>>
>>154469815
Indulging the shallower tastes of your audience, to the disservice of the overarching setting/theme/story

Random christian symbols in eastern shows is mostly done because the creator wants to show something Japs think are cool but lacks the creativity to implement something both cool and fitting, even though it disrupts the overall aesthetic (unless chrisitan imagery IS the aesthetic).
>>
>>154469735
Well please cite me aline where Anno himself states that everything is meaningless and I'll give you a pass. Still won't change that I don't feel his opinion or any of the staff members matter anyway because of Death of the Author.

And you're right it's not really "MUH SYMBOLISM" it's allusions more than anything.
>>
>>154470066
>>154470148
Draw a picture of Muhammad and say that it means something different to you. See what happens.
>>
>>154470196
Give a minute, I'm bad at drawing
>>
>>154460852
Who told you that?
They're lying.
>>
>>154470179
>to the disservice
Yeah but there is no disservice here. A cross is a cross is a cross. Binding someone to a cross is a method of torture or execution.

>>154470196
1. Nobody knows what Muhammad even looks like
2. Completely different because a face is both unambiguoius and hold no other possible meanings.
A cross is so simple a design that the character for Ten, in MULTIPLE LANGUAGES, is simply a line with a dash or elongated dot over it i.e. a cross, and the general ragdoll pose is a guy standing in the cross position.
>>
>>154469780
The fuck are we talking about western films? I'm talking about the insanity of EVAfags putting their interpretation beyond what is just putting ideas from Christianity (even though the idea of Adam or many things should derive from Hebrew text which is more accurate and christians bastardized the original text).
>>154469378
Last time I checked he was milking the franchise continuously and that the whole message that you people have praised and agreed to what it meant became corrupted from the rebuilds.
At this point, I pretty sure Anno is insane. He made that statement about death and rebirth of Anime in the time within three years (said back in 2015). Well guess what, anime was dead long before. And we're going through hell, not a rebirth.
>>
suddenly: >>>/pol/
>>
File: 1483950539460.png (6KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1483950539460.png
6KB, 400x400px
>>154470196
This represents a dumbass to me but has nothing to do with Islam.
There I said it.
>>
>>154470340
This thread should be about why retarded americans censor shit
>>
>>154470284
Don't try to rewrite history you liberal shill. You know damn well that the proportions of the ten character in Kanji are no where close to that of the crucifix.
>>
>>154470397
Actually, the proportions of the ORIGINAL Ten in the Shang dynasty were pretty close. At any rate, what about ragdolls? Surely you're not going to say that every time I put my arms up for an airport check I'm invoking Christ?
>>
>>154470391
It was a bad idea to put it up in American hours, then wasn't it?

>>154470397
>liberals
Japan knows of Christian shit but doesn't care, even Christians there just say "yeah well it's cool stuff right". Calm your shit.
>>
>>154470330
So you're telling me the only statement he made was after he stopped giving a fuck about the series? And you're also saying he's insane and what he says can mean anything?

Just making sure because this is exactly why his opinion doesn't matter. Anno contradicts himself all the time proving his word on things isn't final. Like I said Evangelion was made as it was going which means thing were hectic. There's no telling what each and every individual person on the show who had creative impact felt every thing meant therefore we have to interpret the only information we're given, which is the series itself. Crying about how people are taking it too far is just stupid but so is someone saying "this is the end all be all meaning behind it!" Meaning is what we make it on a personal level because everyone experiences things differently. Which is ironic given how the series ends by showing two different perspectives and them being completely different feeling.
>>
>>154470457
Shut the fuck up you dumb cuck. No one cares about your gook letters or man dolls.
>>
>>154470330
>i'm talking about
Yeah okay man why even (you) me when I'm talking about the context of aesthetics and you're talking about deeper meaning. I agree with you that EVA doesn't have any deeper meaning because it's fucking anime (and Anno said so himself)

>>154470284
>no disservice here
Saying that crucifixion isn't obvious Christian imagery is like saying that harakiri isn't obvious Eastern imagery
>yeah but he's just stabbing himself it's just a method of execution

The cruxifiction in the OP isn't either torture or execution either, it's just holding him in place to drop him into fire. The only reason it's done like that and not just Greed being tied up or whatever is because Japs think crosses are cooler
>>
EVAFAGS

TEST YOUR MIGHT

>>154470269
>>
>>154460340
>cross automatically means it's the Christ's figure
>>
>>154470583
I don't get why anime is incapable of having any deeper meaning. Not even talking about just Evangelion here. Sure most anime is just mindless tits and fun but there's definitely some out there that are good for their artistic value. It's ignorant to completely ignore an entire medium, especially one that's so varied since anime means anything animated by Japanese.
>>
>>154469735
>>154470330
Here's a quote from a magazine to prove that Anno didn't say "It means nothing guys, it was all just cool effects."

>"Evangelion is like a puzzle, you know. Any person can see it and give his/her own answer. In other words, we're offering viewers to think by themselves, so that each person can imagine his/her own world. We will never offer the answers, even in the theatrical version. As for any Evangelion viewers, they may expect us to provide the 'all-about Eva' manuals, but there is no such thing. Don't expect to get answers by someone. Don't expect to be catered to all the time. We all have to find our own answers." from Hideaki Anno's Anime Expo '96 interview, pp20–3 in the November 1996 Newtype
>>
>>154470583
Yeah but just because it IS cool doesn't mean it has to be a 'disservice'. Who the fuck CARES if it rips off a famous method of execution? The only time it could possibly fucking matter is if the Christian imagery was used incorrectly in a work that explicitly tries to use Christian imagery. They have the virgin birth and everything...and suddenly the Magi didn't just follow a star, they got teleported there by Archangel Gabriel. That's bad, because it's incorrect usage and damaging to understanding. If you're getting triggered by a fucking cross when it's not meant to be imagery? No.
>>
>>154460809
this.
>>154460896
fuck off. lazy analysis like that is how you end up with everyone being a Christ figure. Its like saying snakes are always evil because some western books painted them as such in the past, now dare japs not get the memo.
>>154460340
you sound like an oversensitive mudslime, let japs do what they want
>>
>>154470943
Symbolism is everywhere. It doesn't mean nothing. And unless you can tell me what it does mean, you're full of shit.
>>
>>154470552
>>154470192
I didn't say it was meaningless, I just said EVAfags are putting all kinds of meaning beyond whatever interpretation of Anno when he was trying to make a mecha. Also, he stated this.
>I am not familiar with many things in Christianity, and I have no intention of approaching it or criticizing it either.
Plus the idea of the EVA came from japanese oni. And guess what, the fans went complete nuts over every single detail that even Anno himself never intended. Also, the idea of making interpretation from the ether is just lunacy. Let me give you an example here. An anime that portrays a bum that the viewers see as a NEET. Then they went on some narrative saying that the anime is a commentary on NEETS or some shit or doesn't do the shut-in life portrayal correctly. That all sounds great and all. First off, the bum was never stated as a NEET, ever. Second, it turns out that he's was just a truant. The viewers assumed a narrative that never existed.
That sort of scenario is what I see on EVAfags.
>>
>FMA takes place in a heavily Europeanesque country
>lots of religious overtones about trespassing onto God's domain
>"JUST BECAUSE ONE OF THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS GOT CRUCIFIED DOESN'T MEAN IT'S A REFERENCE TO CHRISTIANITY!!!!!"

Holy fuck, what autism.
>>
>>154471234
So what does Greed's haircut represent? Because if you want to push it?
The Japanese executed people on a cross by burying them in the sand and leaving them to drown in the tide, they'd bury them at low tide and they'd just have to watch the water creeping towards them. That's a lot more in-line with how Greed dies than how Jesus dies. Jesus died on the cross after a day or two of sun and shit. Greed dies after getting dunked in lava.
>>
>>154471349
Anno invoked Death of the Author on his own work. Literally any dumbass explanation now flies.

>>154471365
Then what the fuck is the OP even complaining about?
>>
>>154471349

>NEET
>truant

What's the difference mate
>>
>>154471367
>So what does Greed's haircut represent? Because if you want to push it?
Except you're the one pushing it, not me. Christianity has had a huge global cultural influence. You're a lunatic not to say that greed in that image is not symbolic. Especially with the Japanese's borderline obsession with it. It's all over anime. Even in Samurai Champloo
>>
>>154460340
I have yet to see the nips do a proper orthodox cross. Nips seem to think that every christian is an roman catholic.
>>
>>154471349
Considering that game Anno worked on and all the details that are backed up by the show I wouldn't say there's not much to the series. There's tons that's not even explained in that alone. Not sure why the idea of an Eva coming from an oni changes anything. People get inspiration from multiple things and it doesn't make Christian allusions any less valid.

The other guy is right though, Anno made the series so that it could be dissected like this. What's wrong with it being so deeply looked into? After all according to Anno it's all up to the individual to find the meaning behind any of it.
>>
>>154471470
Also the fact that Greed is named after a cardinal sin which is very much Christian. I don't understand how some many dumbasses here can argue that the crucifixion isn't a reference to Jesus.
>>
>>154471514
To be fair, we're the only real Christians.
>>
>>154460340
White people think crosses are exclusive to Christian symbolism
>>
>>154471367
>I learned everything about Japanese Christianity from "Silence"

They crucified people in multiple ways. It didn't always involve the sea.
>>
>>154471514
Funny enough, I think Qwaser is the only anime that's even mentioned the Orthodox Church.
>>
File: cat.jpg (23KB, 200x267px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
23KB, 200x267px
>>154471470
>>154471605
or because it seemed cool. like all the Spanish they use.
>>
>>154460340
Why the fuck do American fantasy writers think "latin"=magic words?

It's just empty symbolism used to excite and be provocative. It's obviously working, too.
>>
>>154471804
Index mentions the Anglican and Orthodox churches, for what it counts.

>>154471658
Just giving a random example.
>>
>>154471605
>cardinal sni
>Christian
Fuck off with your fanfiction Gregory
>>
>>154471874
Everyone knows the Romans built everything using advanced magics before they grew degenerate and forgot how to use magic.
>>
>>154472035
All religion is fan fiction.
>>
>shitty japanese cartoons use hamfisted symbolism
wow......rllly makes me think
>>
>>154471176
>. If you're getting triggered
You're the only triggered one here, sperg. Nice backpedaling.
>>
>>154471874
because writing same shit in English would expose it for being silly and simply a more elaborate version of sympathetic magic(which is just play pretend even on paper)
>>
>>154472125
>use a cross
>HURR NO IT PANDERING
Epic
>>
>>154471874
Because Latin is
1. a dead language
2. the language historically used by learned people, i.e. fucking magicians as seen by peasants
3. the language used by the Romans and Cicero i.e. forgotten glories
4. the language used by the Church which is about a magical man in the sky
>>
>>154472092
edgy post m8
>>
>>154471413
A truant is still technically enrolled. NEETs are not.
>>154471136
>>154471525
And that is why I prefer tangible, and not metaphysical meanings out in the ether. It creates more problems because it invites idiots that create some narrative out of literally anything. Here's my way of going about narratives in any work, take it as a grain of salt, don't overthink it. If you enjoyed it, then that's ok. My last word regarding EVAfags as a whole. The idea and messages that you promoted on EVA seems to have become a perverse notion and corrupted over time EVA began to be milked. Moving on and maturing using the messages that EVAfags derived from seems to no longer matter at this point. Whatever message that can be left to interpretation is now rather hypocritical no matter how much you can try to salvage. At this point, I just don't know anymore. But take it as a grain of salt from some random joe.
>>
>>154472272
Just pointing out the obvious.
>>
>>154472307
Not really, fanfiction is a work of fiction that is deriviative from fiction. You could argue Christianity is like, Jewish fanfiction (but it isn't because it was meant as a sequel written by other Jews), or that Islam is Judeochristian fanfiction, but religion by itself isn't generally fanfiction.
>>
>>154460340
Do you think crucifixes were first invented and subsequently used specially on Jesus or something? Why are christcucks so stupid?
>>
>>154472393
Practically speaking, all religions practiced today are derivative works with maybe some meme religions like Scientology being original works.
>>
File: 30.jpg (173KB, 600x895px) Image search: [Google]
30.jpg
173KB, 600x895px
> Cross
> Religion
> Not using Sotoba sticks.
>>
>>154472393
judaism is fan fiction of other existing religions and it goes back and back all the way to when the concepts were first dreamed up
>>
File: gibberish.jpg (59KB, 1261x946px) Image search: [Google]
gibberish.jpg
59KB, 1261x946px
>>154471874
Who was it that first instilled the belief that words perhaps in their purest form could actually command the elements?
>>
>>154460852
They probably re used the nails. In Pioneer times during demolition the house was burned to easily collect the nails.
>>
>>154471514
Roman catholics are the only ones that count though.
>>
>>154472393
It's true that not all religions are fan-fiction theoretically, but all modern ones are as they draw inspirations from past religions the authors were fans of
>>
>>154471514
They don't think that but it is the only relevant one to them. catholisim is big in korea to a point that it makes into their dramas. some movements are in japan as well and historically Catholics are the ones they interacted with.
>>
>>154473282
Koreans are the WE of East Asia though.
>>
>>154473346
never noticed that. They do eat up various influences but I don't think they have ever gone full WE.(except maybe about pottery skills they gave to japan after stealing it from china.)
>>
>>154473346
north korea does not count
>>
>>154473505
>Sun Goku is Korean
>Conficius is Korean
etc.
>>
>>154473855
I've run into professors who've said, in 100 percent seriousness, that China aped Korea and everything from dynastic fashion to architecture to language is a derivative that originally came from Korean roots.
>>
>>154474059
Was it just him or is it common? most korean historical dramas I have seen don't shy from giving credit to Tang dynasty and others. of course there are biased ones too, especially when it comes to japan.
>>
>>154474059
They TECHNICALLY have a point because the original Joseons were Shang refugees, and places like Seoul were named Hanseong i.e. Han City, and even the name of Korea (韓國) used to be one of the Chinese Warring States.

>>154474340
It's kind of how most niggers don't literally believe they wuz spacefaring pharoz, but there's a lot of Koreans who WE WUZ EMPRAZ N' SHIET at China and Japan, who actually wuz empraz n' shiet.
>>
>>154474398
>everything that existed before Korea existed was invented by Korea
What a good example of why the Chinese and Japanese think they're insecure retards.
>>
>>154460340
I forgot the details behind that particular edit by viz, but I seem to remember they cleared it with the author at least. Did anything else in FMA get censored?
>>
>>154460340
christ wasnt the only one cruficied, so I wouldnt necessarily take it that way
>>
>>154460340
Crucifixion was a thing before Christianity, mind you.
>>
>>154471209
not sure if you're retarded but..you're right, crucifixion was a common but you're wrong to suggest that the japs are not using it as an analogy to the christ story or it's association with sin. It's pretty universal at this point.

You don't have to be religious to recognise this to be a powerful symbol.
>>
Religious symbolism, with exceptions, is mostly used in anime/manga for the same reason English is used sometimes - i.e. they think it looks/sounds cool.

That's all there is to it.

Also, I get the impression that for Asians not every single aspect that shows up in a work has to have a meaning/reason attached to it, and plenty of time it's just a matter of aesthetics, as opposed to Westerners for whom every other form of imagery has to have some reason to be, otherwise it's regarded as unnecessary and sometimes even as pretentious.
>>
>>154460340
Because back then in Japan Christians were hated so the Emperior had them crucified to mock them
>>
>>154460340
they are fucking obsessed with this shit, they just pull it out of their asses with no backstory or thought
>>
>>154460374
t. someone completely ignorant of what was going on in Japan during the 90's and part of the entire purpose of the show. When will this meme end?
Thread posts: 175
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.