[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pre-2000

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 24

Pre-2000 anime/manga thread if we can manage it. What are you watching/reading?

I just finished Aim for the Ace. It was okay overall, I don't have any motivation to continue it though. I also noticed that the manga remains completely untranslated, which surprised me considering how popular it was.
>>
Seems like we had to many in a short time. And I can't contribute either since I am watching an early 2000's show.
>>
>>154220275
If you need translations you couldn't continue it anyways, even if you wanted to.

Can't someone start making 2000s threads instead, I don't have anything new to share in the old threads. Or at least say retro instead of pre-2000, so I can sneak in some 2001 stuff.

After I finish Code Geass I may move on to finishing Rose of Versailles. I could also finish Perfect Blue any time, but it's so uncomfortable so I don't want to continue.
>>
>>154220275
The future seasons are a bit more straightforward visually like other Dezaki shows, it's just the first season that was kind of low budget with more shoujo artsy direction. I liked it though.

Too bad subs never ever because the guy translating the sequel is busy working on five shows, alone.
>>
Currently reading Kamen Rider black, it's ok but nothing amazing.
Watching Slayers and really enjoying it, put it off for way too long.
>>
having fun with dbz
>>
>>154221639
>not finishing Perfect Blue in one sitting

It's a 90 minute film, it should be a once sitting job. It isn't even that scary either.

Still, you're right about the dates for these threads needing to be adjusted. We're soon going to reach a point where shows like Shaman King and Gungrave are considered retro.
>>
>>154222871
Perfect Blue is very scary and uncomfortable. I was able to force myself to finish the rape scene, but then I had to stop. I know I need to continue, but it didn't have much comfiness.
It's also a matter of attention span. I almost never watch movies in one sitting because I don't have the attention span for that.

The nice thing about cutting in 2000 is that it's around that time the shift from cel to digital happens. There are some 1999 digitals, and cel exist until 2001, but generally there's a big change in looks around that time.
We may not need to include everything in this thread, but having some distinct thread perhaps. An alternation?
It's also possible to easily see a change in looks around the mid 2000s, when 4:3 was replaced by 16:9, and the blurriness ended around the same time.
There could also be a floating line, like "15 year old+" or something.
But there has also been 70s exclusive threads so limited years may work.

What I really want is a thread for old anime that's after 2000
>>
>>154223215

>What I really want is a thread for old anime that's after 2000

Then make it, anon. Nothing is stopping you, right?

I really like Perfect Blue (as is the case with all of Kon's works that I've seen, there are still some on the back burner for the time being), convinced a few friends to watch it with me next weekend also.

Aside from that I'm watching Utena, and it's really fun.
>>
>>154223215
Look at the catalog, and ask yourself: are these threads really worth saving? You're supposed to replace bad posts with good ones.
>>
File: 1488548966509.jpg (291KB, 1436x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1488548966509.jpg
291KB, 1436x1080px
if i liked rose of versailles will i like oniisama e?
>>
Watching Utena right now

To my suprise I'm enjoying it so far (just got to the beginning of the Black Rose arc)
>>
>>154225258
Absolutely.

It's not quite as good as RoV, but it's still phenomenal.

I'd also argue that Oniisama e is one of the best looking TV animes ever made.
>>
>>154223215
I thought I was the only one who found that scene somewhat uncomfortable. I assumed everyone just fapped to it or something.
>>
>>154225341
>I'd also argue that Oniisama e is one of the best looking TV animes ever made.
I'd like to hear that.
>>
>>154228991
Osamu Dezaki is a very stylish director.
>>
Currently watching Ashita no Joe 2. It's amazing how much better the first opening's song is.
>>
>>154231415
Yes. I agree. But even if, for example, we tentatively assume that he is the one director that makes the best looking TV series in what way does Oniisama e stand above his other works?
>>
>>154232253
I have never watched it, but maybe he had more freedom and money and it was also pretty late in his career, so he was just better.
>>
finished Angel Cop between threads. the action scenes were usually pretty good and had good animation, but that's about the best thing I can say about it other than the fantastic music. it was fine

still slowly making my way through Cobra at less than one episode per night. definitely think this is the right way to watch the show. I'm enjoying it, but it's not something to marathon

I think before I start a new series I'm going to go through and watch a few movies I've been meaning to watch for years now. hate to say it, but I've never seen Akira, Perfect Blue, or Jin-Roh despite having them on my hard drive for years and years
>>
>>154220275
No, he isn't "best coach", he isn't even a coach. What Munataka is is a motivator, just that, he does something the many could do equally or even better.
His strategy is idiotic, he wants to train Hiromi to be able to play "power tennis", but why choose her? Why choose a regular/small girl with limited physical strength? He chose unironically the very first girl that appeared in front of him. She can train and play hard but her ceiling is not high.
Worse, for more noble that is his philosophy in letting Hiromi struggles and persists alone, refusing to coach her is a huge disadvantage. What will happen when she faces a equally strong player that along with physical force has also technique and can combine both strengths? Just force of will alone will not suffice to win.
>>
Aim for the Ace is great the last tennis match is one of my favourite showdowns in anime.
>>
>>154234592
>He chose unironically the very first girl that appeared in front of him.
No he didn't, he picked the girl from the crowd of new members who took the balls like a champ. You could've said "literally" to make your post less ambiguous though still dumb, but I don't know how you choose unironically.
>>
If there's a choice between anime and manga for a series you want to get into, which has been fully translated, which do you guys prefer to go for? in general, I'm just curious.
>>
File: 023.jpg (72KB, 544x800px) Image search: [Google]
023.jpg
72KB, 544x800px
>reading Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
>listening to old Sarah McLachlan albums
>cats settling down for a nap

I am dangerously comfy right now.
>>
>>154235160
Depends on the series. The general rule is source material takes precedence but there are many classics that became classics because of their adaptations.
>>
>>154235040
Literally the first who wanted to play.
>>
>>154235160
Manga 100% of the time.
>>
>>154232253
Oniisama e isn't Dezaki's best (although it comes close), but that doesn't change the fact that the visuals are astounding. The visuals rival most OVAs that came out during the same period.
>>
Starting Fist of the north star soon.

I am already hyped.
>>
>>154235160
I watch/read the original first, whichever that is.
>>
File: moped2.gif (444KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
moped2.gif
444KB, 500x379px
>>154235450
Mopeds are life
>>
File: Black_Jack_Ep_5_Cut_2.webm (3MB, 598x350px) Image search: [Google]
Black_Jack_Ep_5_Cut_2.webm
3MB, 598x350px
>>154240189
The production values are better in Black Jack. Much better everything.
>>
>>154234592
wow, kill yourself. Munakata is the best coach. ;_;
>>
5 episodes into Future Boy Conan and it is great, It feels just like one of Miyazaki's earlier films but much longer.
>>
File: 1441855890823.gif (1000KB, 390x293px) Image search: [Google]
1441855890823.gif
1000KB, 390x293px
Everybody should watch Dirty Pair Flash
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 640x480px
>Dezakishit circlejerk thread
Nice shit taste hombre
>>
File: perfect blue.jpg (226KB, 767x644px) Image search: [Google]
perfect blue.jpg
226KB, 767x644px
>>154243112
come on man, don't start shit in this nice thread

just bring up what you like/have been watching
>>
>>154235160
I try to see what the consensus is on the anime. If it's a faithful adaptation that covers the whole story, I'll generally go with the anime. Also as >>154235537 said, things like Akira or Desert Punk (post-2000 I know) are popular because of their anime, and discussions about these works almost always focus on the anime, so that's what I stick with in that case. On the flip side, I started the Devilman manga recently because apparently it's never had a faithful adaptation and I like the manga artwork.
>>
>>154223215
What are you a sissy? It's just a movie.
>>
File: 1483554360235.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1483554360235.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>154243112
>posts Gundam
top fucking bait, anon.
>>
File: 4L_skBWLqTE.jpg (79KB, 576x807px) Image search: [Google]
4L_skBWLqTE.jpg
79KB, 576x807px
How good is Legend of Crystania? Should I watch it if I like Lodoss OAVs?
>>
Lupin the Third.

I first started with Blue Jacket/Part 4 which was actually awesome. Green Jacket is overrated and Red Jacket is pretty fun. Pink is whatever at times but starts to really get good near the end. All I have left are the specials to watch now and the rest of the modern series. Looking forward to it.

There was also the Initial D series. Stage was meh, Stage was alright, and stage 3 was the best yet. And now we're at shit with Stage 4.

Captain Harlock universe of anime. A couple episodes in into Capt Harlock. It's whatever so far.
>>
>>154246533
Fuck, in order, First, and Second stage. How did I forget to put that in is my autism.
>>
File: 1170934872543.jpg (32KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
1170934872543.jpg
32KB, 500x385px
Just started Sailor moon since I've somehow avoided it up to this point. Mostly watching it because I wanted to see Ikuhara's work on the later seasons, but it turns out it's pretty fun.
>>
File: 1452268480799.gif (930KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1452268480799.gif
930KB, 400x300px
>>154246533
>1st Stage was meh
What kind of bullshit opinion is this?
>>
>>154225341
Not Nobody's Boy which has background art by Kobayashi!?
>>
bumpu
>>
>>154225258
>>154231415
>>154240189
It's a very action light series so he has the opportunity to find interesting ways to frame what are basically monologues and one to one conversation.
It's a very visually impressive series. I watched it after having already read the manga (in one sitting where I basically went the whole night so I can recommend it for the plot alone) and still kept going for the visuals, music and directing alone.
>>
File: Yu.Yu.Hakusho.full.967118.jpg (2MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Yu.Yu.Hakusho.full.967118.jpg
2MB, 1600x1200px
I keep trying to watch this, but indecision about sub vs dub always stops me. There's people here that talk about the dub like it's the only correct way to watch YYH, and I do appreciated a good pre-funimation era dub a lot. While I like Urameshi and Kuwabara's dub voices a lot, when ever Hiei or Kurama speak I want to punch them in the throat. I think I need to bite the bullet and just watch the sub, since everyone's voice is at least tolerable and authentic to the intended experience.
>>
>>154246533
is green really that highly regarded? I guess it's easier to get into because of the length vs red so more people have seen it. whenever I think of Lupin I think of red, but that's likely because I saw the dub when I was younger.

>>154250924
I never bother with dubs these days, even when people swear by them like with Bebop. like you said, there's usually a couple voice actors who are really annoying in the dub while they're all usually fine in the sub.
>>
>>154250924
Outside of the principal cast, the dub voices range from tolerable to god-awful. The dub script also suffers from a liberal amount of rewrites that range from amusingly clever to "scriptwriter-trying-too-hard-to-demonstrate- his-wit" levels of irritating. There's a difference between writing lines to fit the dubbing process or "punching up" lines to be funnier, and changing lines to the point where they contradict a character's personality or motives. I feel like people who put it up on a pedestal have selective memory when it comes to assessing its quality. It's not bad but it's hardly "the only correct way to watch". The Japanese version features some of the great seiyuus of the era.
>>
>>154247040
This, Stage One was arguably the best stage, probably followed by the Stage Three.
>>
>>154251416
Knowing that makes the decision a lot easier. Thanks.
>>
>>154220275
Is that suppose to be human?
>>
File: 004.jpg (408KB, 1600x1213px) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
408KB, 1600x1213px
>>154220275
>>
>>154235160
If the anime isn't that long or doesn't cover the whole series then i migth try it first unless the series is a must read, if that's the case i would read the manga first.
>>
>>154253958
I've been meaning to read this for a while. I should get on that.
>>
>>154235160
I typically watch the anime first, then if I'm interested I'll read the manga

although I prefer anime for action focused stuff and I'm more tolerant of ecchi shit if it's manga
>>
Someone in the other thread mentioned ADC because they wanted to redo some releases. If you or anyone else list what DVD?BD rips you want, I and maybe some other anon can grab the releases.
>>
File: yep.png (61KB, 226x238px) Image search: [Google]
yep.png
61KB, 226x238px
>>154242588
>I'm watching [Miyazaki] and it feels like all of his other stuff
That's how I always feel too. Except with Ponyo, and I liked it.
>>
File: 1475066117254.png (339KB, 600x347px) Image search: [Google]
1475066117254.png
339KB, 600x347px
So, I recently discovered the "Buried Treasure" watch list on Anime News Network. Based on that, I picked up Windaria on random, and damn, that was a good film! Can't remember the last anime we got an male protagonist with a wife.

Any opinion on the rest of the list?

www.animenewsnetwork.com/buried-treasure/
>>
>>154221639
Perfect Blue (and Paprika, and Millennium Actress) is worth watching simply because it's one of the few anime that justifies why it has to be an anime and not a live-action film.

I mean, think about it, there are sequences in it that simply couldn't be made (well) with live-action actors.

Hell, we kinda got to see what a live-action version would be life with that Black Swan film, and Perfect Blue is way better.

Tremendous craftsmanship.
>>
>>154245991
Dude, I was bitten by a dog once, and now I wince hard every time I see someone getting attacked by a dog on screen. Not saying that person was raped IRL, but life experiences can seriously affect how you enjoy media, man.
>>
>>154243112
I liked retro Gunda, and I know that Amuro got way better later on, but god, he was such a brat in the first 10 episodes or so. Almost as annoying as watching Jar Jar Bink.
>>
>>154260755
well I can't really comment on the quality of the list as I've barely seen any of what he talked about, but it's definitely interesting and I'll be checking it out more in the future

thanks for posting it anon. I'll probably pick up Windaria soon
>>
>>154260755
Also check out his Pile of Shame*. Found some very cool anime over there.

*Not about bad anime, but anime he owns without having watched them.
>>
>>154253958
Has the artist of this series (i.e. Nagayasu) done anything else worth reading?
>>
bunp
>>
>>154251416
The dub really changed Koto's character iirc.
>>
>>154260841
>it's one of the few anime that justifies why it has to be an anime and not a live-action film.

I honestly feel like any sci-fi or fantasy works better animated than live-action. State-of-the-art special effects in a movie today are going to look silly ten years from now. On the other hand, movies like Fantasia still look stunning after all these decades.

Probably it's because you can seamlessly integrate the fantastical elements into animation, whereas with live action you're always going to be putting something fake alongside real actors.
>>
>>154264066
It's much easier to have visual coherence in animation.
>>
File: IMG_0301.png (1MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0301.png
1MB, 1334x750px
I really enjoyed the JoJo OVAs. I think they're far superior to the 2015 anime in every way. The heavy gore, eerie synth music, suspense, and heart pounding action really remind me of an obscure 80s horror movie. The animation done by Studio APPP is also much better.
>>
>>154264500
yeah but is it memetastic
>>
Anybody do any of the DMP Tezuka kickstarters? I'm curious about the quality of their editions.
>>
File: 1437524869011576836242895.png (785KB, 528x810px) Image search: [Google]
1437524869011576836242895.png
785KB, 528x810px
>>154264500
> far superior to the 2015 anime in every way
the only thing they did better was Dio's world and the justice fight. the rest isn't that good compared to the new anime. i got particularly angry seeing how they ruined the vanilla ice fight. also, they're slow as fuck. i liked the artstye though.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.