[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn't Little Witch Academia as big as Kill la Kill?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9

File: kill_la_kill_matoi_ryuuko-15136.jpg (215KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kill_la_kill_matoi_ryuuko-15136.jpg
215KB, 1920x1080px
Why isn't Little Witch Academia as big as Kill la Kill?
>>
It's boring in comparison. The characters aren't as fun or interesting, and neither are their interactions. Ryuuko is cute and badass while Akko is straight up annoying and talentless. Still episodic, and nothing is building up to a plot, implying it's going to remain episodic for a while.
>>
>>154126366
>nothing is building up to a plot
Andrew's episode.
>>
It's moeshit
>>
Not enough fanservice.
>>
I felt that LWA was better off left as a series of OVAs, its charm and simplicity could be preserved that way. By bringing it to a serial format, I felt they began to fill in too much of the cracks, and turning it into the familiar trudge of SoL in a magic-academy.

KLK has a more interesting premise and setting which lends itself to the mystery surrounding it be unfolded and explored over the course of the series.

My take on it, anyways.
>>
>>154126091
Not enough hype
>>
>>154126626
Yeah I remember it being advertised as the show from a new Gainax, then we all realized Trigger was shit so all their shows after KlK flop.
>>
>>154126091
Tits and ass.
>>
>>154126695
(You)
>>
>>154126585
I completely agree.

The premise of the OVA characters were simple and fun. Stretching it out and actually trying to give character development to someone like Akko during a one cour in between all the stupid antics just doesn't work that well.

I'm enjoying it still tho
>>
>>154126399
Worst episode of the entire season
>>
>>154126091
Because Netflix is fucking retarded
>>
Boring one-dimensional characters with boring designs, all of which have exaggerated archetype personalities that doesn't mesh well with the setting which isn't over-the-top or comedic.
>>
>>154126895
Just because it killed your dykeshit ships doesn't mean it's bad
>>
Not by Imaishi.
>>
File: 1487518916373.gif (488KB, 349x382px) Image search: [Google]
1487518916373.gif
488KB, 349x382px
Two completely different shows.

LWA is based in a magical school girl and has less space for surprises or oh shit moments.

KLK setting was fucking huge and anything could go down at any time, Also the fact we had no knowledge of the KLK world and a feel for the characters unlike LWA 2 OVA's.

LWA is fine but if you're looking for some sort of jaw dropping hype you're watching the wrong show.
>>
File: 1484595266748.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1484595266748.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>154126091
Not edgy enough
>>
>>154126895
>Worst episode of the entire season
AHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA
8 > 7 > 6 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 2 > shit > 5
>>
>>154126936
>>154126995
Andrew didn't even exist before the TV anime, and he didn't need to exist now.
>>
>>154126091
No controversy aspect. Kill la Kill had loads of shitposting potential because the T&A and tumblr trying to pass it off as empowering. Speculah has at an all time high too. Mako being secretly strong, gotta find out who killed my dad, and PING PONG CIRCULATE was running wild.

Little Witch Academia has cute witches doing cute things and while there's speculating potential (mostly on how Akko's gonna get expelled and Sucy's eye) there's no overarching mystery or off the walls theories.
>>
>>154126091
Because it's shit.
>>
>>154127085
>tumblr trying to pass it off as empowering
They were right tho.
It's not a case that most of the KLK fanbase were girls.
>>
I enjoy how goofy LWA can get but I'm not expecting action sequences like in Kill La Kill or anything... just a different type of show, I think. The overall tone is much lighter
>>
its mostly because of hype, back when KLK was coming out everyone was hyping it as the second coming of Gurren Lagann and the savior of anime
>>
>>154126091
maybe it lacks the "over the top meme-ness"
A la "Don’t Lose Your Way".
>>
>>154127146
Back to tumblr
>>
Not imaishit
>>
>>154127233
>savior of anime
That was a meme you dunce.
>>
It's simple, the characters aren't sexualized.

LWA is wholesome. KLK is mindless degenerate trash.
>>
>>154127289
Fuck off Muhammad.
>>
LWA is too western for jappos and not crazy enough to warrant /a/ meltdowns.

I like both.
>>
>>154127278

I know it was but the bottom line is that there was a lot of hype going for it, LWA is a random curiosity for normies that didnt watch the OVA
>>
>>154127373

*to normies

Im not meaning to imply that its meant for normies, Im implying that pretty much only people who heard about the OVA care about it
>>
>>154126091
LWA doesn't have fightan for 10 year olds.
>>
KLK was written as an epic, LWA is practically a magical SOL. Both are enjoyable but KLK is the one I play on the big screen with my speaker system at full blast with some alcohol on standby.
>>
File: 0c5.png (79KB, 228x217px) Image search: [Google]
0c5.png
79KB, 228x217px
>>154127541
Of course not, because LWA is for 8 year olds.
>>
>>154127289
if you think that then you didnt see it. All the plot is doing a good serie with fanservice because some people thought it is not possible. KLK is a masterpiece in this way
>>
>>154126585
This COULD be true, but I think the bigger problem is that it's just not being executed well. Mostly for a number of the reasons >>154126366 brought up. Any short or oneshot story could very well be successful as a series if they simply never had any of these problems.
>>
>>154126091
Progress was being made in KLK, for instance the first two episodes Ryuko is embarrassed to be seen in Senketsu but gets over it. Aside from Ryuko acting more mature, as a consequence Senketsu also becomes far more active as a character and they get the proper transformation and an entirely new arc in the story open a up.

Compare that to Akko who doesn't even have the right attitude to magic until Andrews episode and even after getting serious she's still not showing any progress. LWA is a fun episodic show but what everyone wanted from the OVAs was a proper story. On the other hand sideburns are just that, I still expect LWA to pick up significantly.
>>
>>154126091
Not enough fanservice.
>>
>>154127419
LWA is as normie as an anime can be, don't kid yourself.
>>
>>154126091
They seem about the same in general popularity to me, unless you just mean popularity on /a/, which in that case KLK was only ever 'big' here because everyone was looking forward to seeing what Trigger could do and the "TRIGGER SAVING ANIME" memes carried most of the hype.
>>
Not enough action for HYPEfags, not enough cute/funny interactions for people into SOL ("Why watch LWA for the SOL/comedy aspects when you could watch Maid Dragon, Konosuba, GabDropout, Demi-Chan, etc this season, which do it much better?" is what I imagine the mindset is like).
Already there's two large bases uninterested. For everyone else, there are issues in the writing that
>>154126366
>>154126585
>>154126930
already highlighted that turns everyone else off, also feeding into the idea that LWA is no different than any western cartoon for kids.

That's just the general sentiment I see on /a/, at least. I still watch it, but I also think the writing/pacing definitely does has issues at times.
>>
>>154126091
KLKs Voiceacting, OST and animation had everyone and their mother hyped and hooked in the first episode.

LWA is more of a SoL moefest. Anyone expecting them to do equally well is seriously retarded.
>>
>>154128398
>moefest
A few weeks ago people were lauding LWA for not being 'generic moeshit'. What happened?
>>
>>154128233
>They seem about the same in general popularity to me
The fuck are you on about? KLK sold 4 times what LWA will, and completely took over Pixiv.
LWA isn't even remotely as popular.
>>
>>154126091
Because it's actually good and Triggerfags don't appreciate good anime because they the type of people who love rushed pace, inconsistent animation, obnoxious yelling characters and lol so random.
>>
>>154128492
How much did KLK sell?
>>
>>154128547
I like watching LWA too but come on, it's literally a little girl's show.
>>
>>154128547
>triggerfags don't appreciate trigger anime
What kind of backwards damage control is this? Also besides pace you basically described LWA.
>>
>>154126091
no plot
>>
>>154128553
10k, it didn't completely took over Pixiv like he claims, not to the level of actual hits like Kemono Friends this season for example.
>>
>>154128553
Like 11-12k if I remember right.
>>
>>154128623
Is kemono friends unironically good or do people just like it ironically?
>>
>>154128547
>Rushed pace
LWA, check

>Inconsistent animation
LWA, check

>Obnoxious yelling characters
Akko, check

>lol so random
Gotcha, you're talking out of your ass.
>>
>>154128735
LWA is slow paced though.
>>
>>154126091
LWA is just not the same kind of week-to-week hype show that KLK was and it wouldn't be even if the distribution wasn't so fucked up
>>
>>154128398
>LWA is more of a SoL moefest. Anyone expecting them to do equally well is seriously retarded.
The show currently doing the best out of the entire season is the "SOL moefest" Kemono Friends. And if you're not incredibly new, you could probably easily think of other SOLs that have done better than KLK.
The point is that genre of the show has nothing to do with how well it performs. What's important is how good it is.

But that aside, while I don't entirely consider LWA a SOL, I actually fucking love SOL shows, and I haven't enjoyed LWA very much at all. Mostly because in SOLs, the characters and how much you care for them is infinitely important. And I don't think the show's done a very good job at making that happen.
>>
>>154128735
Nothing happening and no character development for 5 episodes qualify as rushed pace?
>>
>>154128735
>Rushed pace

Akko STILL hasn't accomplished anything that wasn't due to deus ex machina or sheer luck.
>>
>>154128799
>>154128854
>>154128888
It feels to me that the pace of the episodes themselves move a bit fast, even if nothing is actually happening.
>>
>>154126091
LWA is a kids' show that's why.
>>
File: 49.jpg (12KB, 258x300px) Image search: [Google]
49.jpg
12KB, 258x300px
lwa is a forced meme, i wish you fuckers would just stop with it alredy.
>>
File: 1486428840186.jpg (446KB, 3427x2145px) Image search: [Google]
1486428840186.jpg
446KB, 3427x2145px
Diana is the most shamelessly Mary Sue character I've seen since Mahouka. At this point I'm expecting her internal conflict to be "boohoo I'm too perfect and that makes me sad"
>>
>>154129127
>no one of the main cast likes her
>Mary Sue
Learn what the word means, retard.
>>
>>154129210
>Lotte, Sucy, and Ursula are indifferent about her
>Akko doesn't like her because she's perfect at everything
>everyone else in the school loves her and praises her like she's the second coming of christ
>>
>>154126091
>Why isn't Little Witch Academia as big as Kill la Kill?

Kill la Kill was on Toonami
>>
>>154126091
LWA has set expectations. With KLK we didn't know what to expect. The first episode of KLK was so much better than anyone expected it caught quite a few off guard.
>>
>>154129293
Amanda also hates her, and if you watched the last episode you would know that Sucy finds her annoying.
You know, the main cast. Not the shapeless mob of backgrounds students and the teachers that are antagonistic to Akko.
>>
>>154126091
I have a similar opinion to >>154128304 Many expect from TRIGGER lots of hype, and this anime is not near any of those moments. Also, the music is really generic, and not nearly as memorable as Klk's.

I'll admit, the girls are pretty unique and cute, I really like them all. Even though there is clear filler I am enjoying it a lot, and I have so much expectation for Sunday to arrive, which also happened with KLK. However, those Thursdays were a fucking blast here on /a/ and LWA threads can't surpass that fun.
>>
no hearts lighting up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK5Sn-hGZ7M
>>
>>154126091

Honestly? It was very boring and I had no interest in the characters/story after 5 episodes so I dropped it.
>>
>keep forgetting to catch up on LWA because my backlog is so much more interesting

What do people see in this show?
>>
DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY
>>
>>154126091
just, what happened to Trigger ?
>>
>>154130371
This. I've been watching Maid Dragon and it does LWA way better than LWA itself.
>>
KLK was riding not only on its own hype but Gurren Lagann's as well so it's kind of silly to compare them.

Also even though I liked it enough, I'm one of the people who felt it fell flat during the second half, so I don't see it as a super good show overall.
>>
>>154126091
I think Kazuki Nakashima is the reason why KLK is good and LWA is'nt
>>
I didn't hate KLK but I don't get what all the hype is about for it. It was far inferior to Gurren Lagann, far less impactful. I can honestly barely remember the plot of the show, I can't recall how it could have ever filled out a whole two cours, it was mostly just frenetic nonsense with little substance to it. Imaishi really needs whoever it was at Gainax who was keeping him in line, because they're surely not at Trigger.

It seems to me the people who think it's the best thing ever are also the sort of people who would subscribe to the notion that "a shit show is still great if the threads are fun for shitposting", not saying KLK was THAT shit, but how just as the people who rave about KLK are seemingly influenced by the hype that surrounds it, so too would they be influenced by the hype surrounding a total shitshow.

As it is I think the "hype" moments of KLK (which people for some reason seem to be sorely longing for in LWA. a different show by a different director), are too much of a crutch for Imaishi, they're not that fucking good, and the people who want them in every Trigger show are being easily suckered by something so simple.

Imaishi works best in short form, I think, Sex and Violence, and his LWA episode both had nice clear stories driving a specific message, the action itself goes all over the place but the story is nice and concise, whereas in long-form any core idea ends up getting watered down and lost track of as the show starts to meander. It's like he's trying to distract you from how inefficient it all gets at that length.
>>
>>154130695 [cont.]
Not that I'm defending LWA, it suffers from a similar problem. Its core idea works well in the OVAs, and it's a compelling idea too, but in the show they've opened it up to become literally episodic. By its very nature most of these episodes abandon the metaphor of the show in favour of their own little stories. I don't think it would be so bad if that was all there is to it, but throughout the show they keep alluding to things that make it clear there IS a plot, it's just yet to even really start. As it is 8 episodes in, it seems Yoshinari literally decided to have a whole cour of set-up before things kick off. That's too late, you'll have lost your audience by then, it's a terrible decision. The most obvious sign of this is how Ursula declared she'll tutor Akko in episode 2 and it just sort of never happened, it got pushed back further and further by episodic adventures.

But it's also clear Trigger aren't even devoting all their energy to the show, most of the big names are missing from it, they're probably off working on Imaishi's next project. LWA is like Trigger's neglected middle child. It's disappointing. Each iteration has been worse than the first. It NEEDS energy thrown at it because its energy was the best thing it had going for it in 2013.
>>
File: Ritual.webm (2MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Ritual.webm
2MB, 800x450px
>>154130468
>Maidragon has better worldbuilding, PLOT, and BACKSTORY than LWA

Sasuga KinoAni
>>
File: unimpressed.png (817KB, 794x637px) Image search: [Google]
unimpressed.png
817KB, 794x637px
>Konosuba
>a fucking LN adaption isekai comedy
>that is borderline haremshit
>has better writing, more plot progression, and more interesting characterization than LWA

I'll be accused of b8, but I'm not fishing.
>>
>>154127942
Progress was made TOO fast in KLK, which was it's biggest failing.

The show blew it's load in the first couple of episodes by constantly trying to become even more over the top. This led to a really boring second half where the over the top shenanigans weren't even surprising anymore.

What I like about LWA is that the build up to the inevitable big action scenes (stuff we get a taste of in the OVAs), is a lot more gradual with a bigger focus on character development, so that we can be more emotionally invested in whatever big scenes they throw at us in the future.
>>
>>154128679
>do people just like it ironically?
this one, the only reason they even talk about it is because there are so many people who like it ironically
>>
>>154126091
It's not being legally subbed so normalfags can't enjoy it and reviewers can't review it.

So it's Netlfix and their jew tactics that are killing this show.

nothing else.
not this dumb cunts opinion
>>154126366
or this dumb cunts opinion
>>154126585
>>154126954
>>154127085
>>154127942
>>154128304
>>154130821

etc etc
>>
>>154130695
KLK had the same amount of substance as TTGL. And both are the only Imaishi works that to beyond the message of "anarchy fuck yeah". His shorter works are fun on a surface level but there isn't really much to work with.
And calling LWA neglected when it most likely won't have even a fraction of the production issues KLK had seems out of place.
>>
>>154131337
Rude, I'll have you know I'm actually only half of a dumb cunt.
>>
>>154130852
>LWA
>bigger focus on character development
It took 6 episodes for Akko to even decide to try to change.
And we haven't seen any results yet.
And the rest of the cast is in an even worse situation, only Lotte and Sucy got some characterization. The writing just isn't dense enough.
>>
>>154128848
SoL have done better than KlK, but few of them have had an impact like KlK. Kemono friends is certainly a forgettable seasonal fad no one will even mention in two years, sure it sells blu rays but that doesn't mean it "does" better than KlK on the big scale, if you add up all the merchandise and blu rays KlK sold world wide, it dwarfs many of the big SoL series out there.
>>
>>154132309
>we haven't seen any results

Currently, Akko can:
>cast basic magic
>speak to fishes
>actually put effort into pursuing her dream

That isn't bad considering that she started with nothing.
>>
>>154131337
>>154131337
I don't think that explains why it isn't as big in Japan.
Dumb cunt.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.