[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are all shounen just about power creeps? I think HunterxHunter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (136KB, 706x513px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136KB, 706x513px
Why are all shounen just about power creeps? I think HunterxHunter and yu yu hakisho were the only shounen I've seen that dealt more with using your toolset to win, rather than adding to it.
How do we fix it /a/? Why is this such a huge problem in the genre?
>>
>>154026658
>Yu Yu Hakusho
>not having power creep

What? Yusuke jumped up a rank literally every arc, especially when he was fighting a main villain.
>>
Gash Bell, now fuck off.
>>
Naruto, for all the shit it gets, was pretty good with this until the end where it completely freaked out. Kakashi just had his raikiri and sharingan, Kisame just had his water shit, and Itachi (aside from Izanami) had powers that were clearly defined pretty early in the manga.
>>
>yyh
>not about power levels
Did we watch the same show?
>>
>>154026658
Law of Ueki and Law of Ueki Plus are like intentional subverions of Power Creep where only the villains (who lose) have overwhelming or increasing powers.
>>
>>154026811
>>154026724
The last part got out of hand when it rode the DBZ hype train, but from I can remember it was pretty slow with the creeps
>>154026740
Gash bell was a lot of fun, but for a while it was just,"I can't beat this guy, but now my book is glowing!"
>>
>start off as an average or even below average kid
>finish the series fighting literal gods

Why does this happen so often?
>>
>>154026740
>Law of Ueki
Hey I love Gash Bell, but there was power creep, the jump in power they do after Kiyomaro dies and comes back is ridiculous. The same to everyone else after they train with Dufaux
>>
>>154026658
Kinnikuman completely averts this, because after the Akuma Chojin arc power levels were proven to be pretty much meaningless. Hell Kinnikuman and Robin Mask managed to defeat chojin quite literally over 100 times more powerful than them.
>>
>>154026952
>Three Treasures Arc and Rando Arc were pretty much same level of skill.
>Power boosted before the Four Beasts arc.
>Power boosted before the Rescue Yukina arc(?).
>Power boosted before the Dark Tournament, then about one or two more times during.
>Power boosted at the end of the Sensui Arc.

I think these are all of the moments Yusuke got strength increases, right?
>>
>>154026766
> Kakashi just had his raikiri and sharingan
Except that part where his Sharingan gained dimension-warping powers, right?

> Itachi (aside from Izanami) had powers that were clearly defined pretty early in the manga
What is Susanoo?
>>
>>154027325
Oh, and that's not mentioning sage mode, or Sasuke gaining Mangekyou and its various powers (that just kept growing), or Kirin, or Naruto's various Rasengan variants, or the tailed beast training on the island with the armadillo dick, or the "X-tail" transformations in general.
>>
>>154026658
Because it sells and the main audience, kids, don't care.
>>
>Why are all shounen just about power creeps?
>HunterxHunter and yu yu hakisho were the only shounen I've seen that dealt more with using your toolset to win
>we
great thread
>>
At a basic level. The powercreep just works. You can replace character development for a bump in power and readers will still go nuts over it.
>>
>>154026658
newsflash, powercreep isn't inherently bad
you want to see characters grow
Look at One Piece and Hunter x Hunter (yes powercreep is still a thing in HxH)
>>
>>154026658
Naruto was good about it during the class examinations, but after that I stopped watching.
>>
>>154027108
Most were through training though. The only legit power boost he got that wasn't through hard work was genkai's boost. And I guess there's also the demon guy's boost
>>
>>154029989
who cares, power creep, training arcs, whatever you call them, are all in adventure fighting manga
it's a means for your character to get stronger
and many authors handle it differently
>>
>>154026658
YuGiOh

All their decks are shit
>>
>>154026658
I almost want to say Shaman King
but thats because they never actually beat Haoh
>>
>>154026658
Because the target demographic(tweens/children) are powerless and want a power fantasy.
now he's super saiyan infinity?!?!?!?
that's like even stronger than god!
*cue SSJ infinity +1*
He's so strong! nobody can tell him what to do!
*fap* *fap* *fap*
>>
>>154031605
Actually it's nothing like that. It's more like:
>heres my fighting manga
>the hero has to fight this bad guy, the strongest guy he's ever fought!
>oh shit he knuckled down and gritted through it and beat the bad guy
>but this manga is pretty popular
>here's a new bad guy, bigger and badder than the last!
>its time for our hero to reach greater heights than he could before
>etc.

Wish fulfillment has absolutely nothing to do with power creep, and honestly brining it up just reads like projection.
>>
>>154026658
Jojo has it but much less so than other shonen battle series do. This being because each part is mostly self-contained. Hell, the villain of Part 2 is much more powerful than most other characters from parts 3-8.
>>
>>154026658
>yu yu hakisho

Opinion discarded.
>>
I didn't think power creep was that the main characters got stronger as the series progressed, rather that it described all of the new characters at some point being much stronger than the characters introduced at the start of the series. For example before the arrival of Raditz, Goku gets stronger but all of his opponents make sense in the context of the series. Even how strong Raditz is makes sense because he is an alien, but Androids 17 / 18 are inexplicably stronger than Freeza.
>>
>>154026658
You see it as a problem rather the appeal of the genre
>>
File: recca 4.jpg (877KB, 1280x1854px) Image search: [Google]
recca 4.jpg
877KB, 1280x1854px
>>154026658

More people need to watch/read Flame of Recca already
>>
>>154026658
what about full metal alchemist?
>>
>>154032444
Jojo's pretty great about that. I think Araki has even talked about how mangaka need to think more about their villains than just making them bigger, badder and stronger than the last asshole.
>>
>>154034083
True, Ed was level 100 from the start
>>
>>154026658
what is Gintama
>>
>>154026658
>Why are all shounen just about power creeps?
Rurouni Kenshin did it right by making the wins/losses more circumstantial than anything to do with one being stronger than the other.

>How do we fix it /a/?
Stop reading garbage.
>>
>>154027325
What is "early in the manga" and why are you talking about stuff later in the manga
>>
>>154026861
>Law of Ueki Plus
Was it axed? Even though 10 chapters before the end was pretty fun
>>
>>154034631
Somewhat true though it's very vague with it, it's hard to gauge many characters in the series at all

Gin's fights have him just get skewered repeatedly and then get up and win or draw anyways, power creep doesn't matter
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 650x680px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 650x680px
>>154026658
>make character with an interesting and unusual fighting style
>give him powerups that make that style more and more boring

Honestly, Luffy basically just hits fast and hard now. That's incredibly boring.
>>
Naruto early on was fairly strategical and still had some very strategic battles later on in Shippuuden.

Naruto vs Pain comes to mind and also Shikamaru vs Hidan.
>>
>>154035011
Many fights are won with some trick or some interesting use of the environment though
>>
File: 1456342660769.png (233KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1456342660769.png
233KB, 557x605px
There's no such thing as a action based fiction without Power Creep.

Even real life has power creep.
Look at Jack Dempsey and Mike Tyson.
Or the Atom Bomb next to a flintlock pistol.
>>
>>154026658
Because its manga for ten year old Japanese boys and ten year old Japanese boys want bigger and bigger explosions.

>>154031701
>Wish fulfillment has absolutely nothing to do with power creep

And yet the people who complain about power creep, lamenting that a manga like Naruto doesn't focus more on stealth and tactics are people outside of the target demographic while the actual target demographic continues to lap up the formula without complaint. Wish fulfillment, or rather simplistic plotting that appeals to age-related shit taste, has everything to do with that.
>>
File: Shovel Stand.png (254KB, 447x446px) Image search: [Google]
Shovel Stand.png
254KB, 447x446px
>>154026658
JoJo handles it all pretty damn well from part 4 onwards.
>>
FMA wasn't about power creep.
>>
>>154027050
I know what you mean, but the power creep felt organic.
Everyone started out with only shit tier or weaker spells, so it would be obvious that demons would get stronger the longer the competition went on.
>>
>>154026658
finished shonen:
read Kekkaishi
ongoing shonen:
read The Ancient Magus' Bride
>>
>>154037935
I was about to say
>>
>>154026658
JoJo doesn't have power creep, checkmate
>>
File: YoshitsuneFinal.jpg (108KB, 680x884px) Image search: [Google]
YoshitsuneFinal.jpg
108KB, 680x884px
>>154034083
>>154038176
>FMA
>>154034631
>Gintama

Not to mention Mx0, OPM, Helck, Tenkuu Shinpan, Eden no Ori, Btoom, Doubt and many more.

Like >>154034685 said it's a simple fix: stop reading garbage.
>>
>>154036068
Against puny enemies, maybe. I'm pretty sure he still needs to rely on his unique powers to beat major enemies
>>
>>154036068
Luffy won his last fight with his belly
>>
>>154039649
>simple fix: stop reading garbage
>but read:
>Gintama
>Tenkuu Shinpan
>Eden no Ori
>Doubt

what does he mean by this?

also
>Btoom
>OPM
these aren't even shonen
>>
>>154026724
Don't forget mid demon tournament he got that huge power up in the cave.
>>
>>154037636
What if the story has the action character so OP there's no need for the power to rise?
Like golden age heroes like Stardust and Fantomah?
>>
>>154039914
shit taste dude
>>
>>154026658
The strength and powers of characters in HxH are pretty retarded and unbalanced. Just because it has 3 times as much exposition doesn't make it better.
>>
>>154026740

>What is Clear arc
>>
File: IMG_7681.jpg (169KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7681.jpg
169KB, 640x360px
Don't make it about tournaments or contests, so you can progress the story without having to make every individual enemy stronger the last.
>>
> using a toolset to win
> hurr durr all the mcs have a 1 in a million potential
>>
File: image.jpg (522KB, 3240x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
522KB, 3240x1080px
>>154037853
But how do I find a series that fulfills my childish desire for violent and unnecessary supernatural conflict while also satisfying the demands of my adult intellect? Pic related
>>
>>154031337
well if you're only looking at the anime, I dont read the manga of any of them from the few pages, gx had some pretty consistent cards that werent made till later like mask change.
>>
File: IMG_0488.jpg (336KB, 877x1197px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0488.jpg
336KB, 877x1197px
>shonen
>genre
Just read Jojo, there is no power creep
>inb4 Kars/KC
Fuck off
>>
>>154043184
>there is no power creep
You're right, just asspulls and inconsistent powers.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.