[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was told Golgo 13 was Japanese James Bond and got curious.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: golgo_bio.jpg (183KB, 600x924px) Image search: [Google]
golgo_bio.jpg
183KB, 600x924px
I was told Golgo 13 was Japanese James Bond and got curious.

What's the best way to get into this franchise? Manga from 30 years ago seems hard to digest.
>>
>>153291305

Here's a wild idea: try reading what is translated.
>>
>>153291305
Old manga is good you fag. And I mean in general, I haven't read Golgo 13 but I suppose there's a reason it's popular and has been going on for so long.
>>
>>153291603
>Old manga is good you fag
I'm shallow and dislike old art and long convos

Don't they have a reboot or modern anime movie/series to get into?
>>
>>153292636
Golgo 13 (TV)

It's the 50th anniversary next year too so more should be coming then.
>>
File: wz3BrvW.png (3KB, 131x19px) Image search: [Google]
wz3BrvW.png
3KB, 131x19px
>>
>>153291305
I get it that the author wants to create a near-superhuman secret agent, but he clearly doesn't know enough about the subject
>>
>>153295845
Golgo13 is actually fairly realistic, other than Togo himself of course.
>>
Does anyone know why so little has been translated? I want to get into it but don't want to start if it won't be translated anytime soon
>>
>>153296803
>Does anyone know why so little has been translated?
Because it's 200 volumes total. No one wants to do that.

>it won't be translated anytime soon
It won't ever. The only way to read everything is to learn Japanese.
>>
>>153296872
Damn, that's disheartening, I'm shit at languages, ah well
>>
>>153291305
Golgo 13 has very little to do with James Bond, because the premise is completely different.

James Bond is a power fantasy.
Golgo 13 uses the superhuman contract killer to tell the stories of the people his actions affect.
The best stories with Golgo in them are the ones where he only shows up as a background character.
>>
>>153291305
>30 years ago seems hard to digest.

>>153298000
You know that Saito wrote a Bond manga just before, so it's not entirely unrelated.
>>
>>153296872
>No one wants to do that.
I do. That's why I'm learning Jap.

>>153295845
fuck off
>>
File: Golgo13.png (195KB, 401x399px) Image search: [Google]
Golgo13.png
195KB, 401x399px
>>153298000
This. Other than wearing nice suits, getting ladies and having a pistol always on reach, they are completely different. One of the most striking differences are that some Golgo stories have Golgo in more of a side role, being a tool to resolve conflicts that are happening between characters who are usually completely unrelated to Golgo and only showing up when it is time to take a shot and wrap the story with it. Golgo also kills anyone he's contracted to do so, making things like morality thrown right into the trash and the question pretty much always is whether the client was in the wrong instead of Golgo. It's a charming tuxedo clad spy action vs drama with a cold hearted killing machine.
>>
Hello OP!

May want to check this out for some background stuff on the creator.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3vp770_urasawa-naoki-no-manben-manga-documentary-s1e4-2015-saito-takao-english-subs-720_creation
>>
>>153300027
I was glad to see he's still doing pretty well. I like how he's a bit of auteur
>>
The recent anime series was pretty good.
>>
>>153291305
>at any rate, an amazing penis.
>>
File: 5333435-golgo13.jpg (718KB, 1642x1619px) Image search: [Google]
5333435-golgo13.jpg
718KB, 1642x1619px
the art style is so dope
>>
The manga isn't fully translated.
Is the anime completed story?
>>
>>153301984
The series is episodic. There is no "complete story".

The series is about various conflicts all over the globe (be they as grand as preventing a US-Russia war, or as small as the assassination of a low-level mob player), and how they are resolved. Generally in that order; not always. See "The Impossible Shot" for the 'not always'.
>>
>>153298000
>The best stories with Golgo in them are the ones where he only shows up as a background character.
From what I remember of the 13 officially translated English Golgo volumes, most stories in it were like this.
I liked the Golgo focused ones more though, like in the TV series.
>>
If you can't digest it, maybe try reading the manga instead of eating it?
>>
>>153295845
Golgo does get shot and can fuck up. He's a coward too, but that's how he's alive.
>>
>>153300027
>dries white out with a cigarette
That's fucking badass. I Hope he doesn't get lung cancer and die though.
>>
>>153291305
Golgo 13 x Devilman when
>>
>>153291305

Golgo has more in common with The Punisher than James Bond IMO.
>>
The Dezaki OVA and film
The 2008 series
It's all episodic anyway, there's no order you have to abide by
>>
>>153291305
>sit ups with 2 20kg dumbs
HOLY SHIT WHAT A MAN
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.