[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The only good anime ever made.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 28

File: Cowboy_Bebop_title_card.png (53KB, 475x354px) Image search: [Google]
Cowboy_Bebop_title_card.png
53KB, 475x354px
The only good anime ever made.
>>
Space Dandy was better.
>>
>>153036907
lain was better
>>
Doraemon was better
>>
>>153036907
Watch more than 5 series.
>>
>>153037015
It's the only anime not beloved by circlejerking manchildren and actually appreciated by people who don't go "LOL MY OPINION IS LE BEST BECAUSE I WATCHED 500 ANIME"
>>
>>153037046
>It's the only anime not beloved by circlejerking manchildren
I like Cowboy Bebop a lot but it is absolutely circlejerked by man children who only like it because it's "mature" and they pretend to like Jazz.
>>
This isn't /v/, you need to leave.
>>
Watched this and Space Dandy for the first time recently, one after the other

SD > CB
>>
>>153036907
>newfag: the post

bebop had a good soundtrack and good choreography, but the story is flat and the characters doesn't make any sense. Edgy teenagers thinks it's deep because they don't get what the characters are talking about, but the fact is that the things the characters say in bebop often is nonsensical and just there to give the impression of being meaningful.

so
+ soundtrack
+ choreography

--- superficial
>>
>>153041003
Explain how the characters don't make sense.
>>
File: SPACE_DANDY_CM_Toonami.jpg (26KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
SPACE_DANDY_CM_Toonami.jpg
26KB, 640x360px
>>153036949
>>153040826
>>
>>153041003
You being stupid and incapable of understanding or carrying out basic analysis does not mean it's superficial.
>>
>>153037046
>It's the only anime not beloved by circlejerking manchildren

But you just posted this thread
>>
>>153037079
I hate jazz more than I hate life itself and yet I love Cowboy Bebop.
>>
>>153036907

Why are you here?
>>
>No one can come up with a good argument.

Face it fukbois.

Cowboy Bebop has one flaw.
It's too boringly perfect to argue over.
>>
>>153037046
As opposed to being circlejerked by manchildren who barely know anything about the medium and only like the show because they watched as teens/kids?

I rather take the opinion of someone who actually saw a lot of anime than of a newfag who thinks he know everything.
>>
>>153045597
>good argument
The OP didn't made any argument to begin with.
>>
Samurai Champloo > Cowboy Memebop
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8XQV889b3U

Bang
>>
Cowboy bebop is the epitome of style over substance. The fact that the show is very westernized is one of the main reasons why it's so beloved here.
>>
>>153045895
>Westernized
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Fucking weebs.
>>
as we all know the best eps of bebop are about faye dealing with money problems

I have a theory why this is the case

the studio were sweating bullets pouring yen into this (fairly ambitious) new IP, so they sort of expressed their inner anxiety through the loan shark stuff

which is why speak like a child is so moving. these nerds got into the animation biz in order to express their child-like innocent love of cartoons, but now they're suddenly up to their necks in financial worries

just a little theory
>>
>>153046045
Why are you watching anime then? The main appeal of anime is to get works with a different perspective from our own culture. Basically, wanting anime to be westernized would be the death of anime, as it would lose all identity.
>>
>>153046223
>The main appeal of anime is to get works with a different perspective from our own culture.
Getaloadofthisfaggot.png
>Basically, wanting anime to be westernized would be the death of anime, as it would lose all identity.

The 80s called. It would like to smack across the face and tell you that despite anime taking heavy cues from western media, it never lost what made it anime.

Bebop is a classic in every sense of the word. Fucking deal with it weeb.
>>
>>153046536
>Getaloadofthisfaggot.png
It is though, your cringe way of typing changes nothing about this. You watch anime because it's the artistic expression of japanese people through animation, emphasis on japanese people, because that's basically the only thing that makes anime different. Taking some inspiration from western media is fine, as it would be almost impossible for japaneses to not take any inspiration from it since we live in a globalized world and the west has a broad influence. However, there's a big difference between taking inspiration in some elements and making a show westernized, like it's the case in Cowboy Bebop.

There's nothing wrong with Cowboy Bebop being westernized, as it gives variation to the medium, but thinking that this should be the norm is proof that you are a retard who is incapable of discerning what makes anime special in the first place.

>Bebop is a classic in every sense of the word.
It's a classic because you want it to be. It's a classic for you because it deals with elements that are relatable to you and that's why you like it. The plot, characters, themes and most of the episodes are extremely simplistic and fail to stimulate the viewer beyond any superficial level.

>Fucking deal with it weeb.
You're basically just a weeb in denial though. You watch japanese animation because it's japanese, but you somehow think it should be westernanized, because you lack self-awareness and perception.

You are a joke.
>>
File: trigun-wolfwood-smoking.jpg (60KB, 650x667px) Image search: [Google]
trigun-wolfwood-smoking.jpg
60KB, 650x667px
>>153036907
Cowboy Bebop is one of the most overrated and boring anime I have ever watched. Trigun is way better than Cowboy Bebop.
>>
>>153046917
>There's nothing wrong with Cowboy Bebop being westernized, as it gives variation to the medium,
Then why did you bother to imply that a show being westernized(something that Bebop VERY much is) is a bad thing?
Berserk is westernized to the point where if say, Moebius or Craig Russel had taken over the artwork you couldn't call it anime and it still would be regarded as an enthralling story.
>deals with elements that are relatable to you and that's why you like it
Pro tip: Blanket statements aren't an argument. It basically boils down to this show is shit without going into reasons why it's shit.
>and fail to stimulate the viewer beyond any superficial level.
Is that why Bebop is no longer in the mediums consciousnesses a decade after it aired? Oh wait. People still rank it among the absolute finest offerings anime ever provided.
>You watch japanese animation because it's japanese
Jokes on you. I watch it for the distinct tropes japanese artwork has not because it's about japan.
> but you somehow think it should be westernanized, because you lack self-awareness and perception
I should best leave you alone. It's better to let you wallow in misery due to the fact that your eyes will never be slanted and you shall always be a filthy gaijin :3
>>153047217
>Overrated and boring
Why i oughta
>Trigun
You're alright.
>>
>>153047419
>Berserk is westernized to the point where if say,
This is where I can tell you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Berserk is much less westernized than Bebop is, as Bebop was literally made to appeal to westerners to some extent, it has many direct references to western culture, it tries to have a classic, western narrative and even the fucking music and artstyle try to be more appealing to the west. Berserk is just a visceral medieval story, with a good plot and some elements of western literature.

Miura even said in a interview that he took inspiration from several different works from several different mediums of several different cultures before creating Berserk and it shows. A show isn't ''westernized'' because it has a dark fantasy setting you faggot.

>It basically boils down to this show is shit without going into reasons why it's shit.
So basically your entire argument in favor of bebop? Like I said previously, lack of self-awareness.

>Bebop is no longer in the mediums consciousnesses a decade after it aired?
Just like DBZ, Digimon and Pokemon are. Those anime were part of the childhood of the vast majority of anime fans who post on the internet these days, at least in the west. The edge that Bebop had over these shows is that was ''mature'', therefore it impressed people more back then and thus, is more circlejerked now.

>I watch it for the distinct tropes japanese artwork has not because it's about japan.
It's not about being about ''Japan'' retard, it's about being an expression of japanese people. Berserk and Vampire Hunter are artistic expressions of japanese persons despite not portraying japanese society or japanese culture in a obvious way, just like The Lord of the Rings is a artistic expression of a british despite not portraying England or the real world in a obvious, direct way.

The rest of your post is yet again, you in denial, which is both funny and cute. Keep going, anon, I'm having fun.
>>
>>153036907
>only good anime ever made
Legend of the galactic heroes
Texhnolyze
Evangelion
Berserk
Ergo proxy
Ghost in the shell
Haibane renmei
Serial experiments lain
Monster
Shouwa genroku rakugo shinjuu

All of these anime are better than cowboy bebop
>>
>>153047217
>trigun
The manga maybe, but the anime is absolute dogshit. It aged like milk. Remove your nostalgia glasses and try to watch it again.
>>
>>153036907
>samurai champloo
>legend of the galactic heroes
No.
>>
>>153050610
>berserk
>good
The manga, that is.
>>
>>153048363
>Keep going, anon, I'm having fun.
I'm actually too busy rewatching the whole series so joke's on you. :)
Bebop is still an uncontested classic. Fact.
Personally, one of the few series that can hold a candle to it would be Wolfs Rain. Berserk would take the spot if only the series had an ending.
>>
File: Berserk_v39c347p15.png (764KB, 1079x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Berserk_v39c347p15.png
764KB, 1079x1600px
>>153050879
>>
>>153050610
>Evangelion
Fuck off.
>Ergo proxy
Noooo
>Gits
You got me.
>>
File: 1454167194148.webm (1MB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1454167194148.webm
1MB, 557x605px
>>153050896
>Wolf Rain's OVAs
>>
FREEEEEEEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03qBqP2I4p8
>>
File: all others are 2nd best.png (551KB, 1022x1094px) Image search: [Google]
all others are 2nd best.png
551KB, 1022x1094px
>>153036907
You spelled Aquarion wrong
>>
>>153036907

>monster-of-the-day garbage
>best anything
>>
>>153045345

>I hate jazz more than I hate life itself

Pleb detected,
>>
File: 500px-Trigun0106.jpg (42KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
500px-Trigun0106.jpg
42KB, 500x375px
>>153050667
I rewatched the entire series less than a week ago, so stop with the "nostalgia glasses" shit. It since it still holds up great to anyone with good taste.

The Trigun manga has terrible action scenes, especially compared to other manga of its time. The story exposition is a little better in the manga but that's it (mainly relating to Knives motivations).

I don't understand how you can act like the manga is 10 times better than the anime when really they are about the same with a few adaptation differences. U wot m8?

Not to mention the Trigun anime opening is amazing. Fucking newfaggot.
>>
>>153050610

>GITS

The movie or SAC?

Both are good, though.
>>
>>153050970
>Liking GiTS over NGE
The sign of a pleb
>>
>>153050896
>Worlf's Rain
Let me guess, you watched 30 anime in your life. Bebop isn't bad, but thinking that these are the only shows better or on par with it makes extremely obvious that you are new.
>>
>>153036949
>>153044067
Cancer.
>>
File: 400.jpg (17KB, 1108x400px) Image search: [Google]
400.jpg
17KB, 1108x400px
>>153051976
>Personally
>one of the few series
>>
>>153052220
It still gives the idea that you're new though. I fail to grasp why someone would think highly of Wolf's Rain after watching many shows, the only good thing about it is the premise.
>>
>>153051910
>Not thinking NGE is shit
Ooking hell man. Seek help.
>>
But that isn't Trigun
>>
>>153052325
It's just my feelings on it.
Just as how i prefer Throne of Blood over Yojimbo and Ran when concerning Kurosawa's works.
>>
>>153052460
Fucking Blu Ray NEVER

Still pissed off over this.
>>
>>153050896
>Bebop is still an uncontested classic.
It's precisely being contested in this thread, you idiot.
I don't think Cowboy Bebop deserves its reputation, it's just an ok anime.
>>
>>153052742
>It's precisely being contested in this thread, you idiot.
Let me elaborate.
>Uncontested by everyone who isn't a contrarian
:3
>>
>>153052370
NGE is a masterpiece that excels in literally all areas, I'm sure for your shit taste.
>>
>>153052842
>Everyone in this thread is just a contrarian
>The opinions that matter are that of casual anime watchers who saw Bebop on Toonami
Right.

>:3
Don't use emoticons on /a/
>>
>>153052908
>that excels in literally all areas

Certainly not the animation.
Nor the focus.
Just shut up Shinji and get in the robot.
>>
>>153052908
Sorry*
>>
>>153052955
Psst.
Cowboy Bebop is better than your favorite anime :)
>>
>>153052970
Actually the animation is great (not counting the last two episodes). This "NGE has bad animation" meme has to stop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnqluniiXyk
>>
>>153048363
>Vampire Hunter

Vampire Hunter D is terrible though. Sure, the animation's nice but the MC is a flat, overpowered Gary Stu.
>>
>>153053158
>Actually the animation is great
Yeah and then episode 19 came and went and the entire budget fell out from under them.
Come on man. Be reasonable here.
>>
>>153052970
>Certainly not the animation.
Want to know how it's easy to tell that you're a retard with no knowloge of what you're talking about?

>Nor the focus.
What?
>>
>>153052970
NGE is actually amazing in terms of animation and visual direction.
>>
>>153051737
>The Trigun manga has terrible action scenes
The anime is a great adaptation then, since the action scenes are mostly shit outside of the last few episodes.

It's a mediocre action series with childish "morality play" undertones that's wildly overrated by morons with nostalgia goggles who thought it was the coolest thing ever when they saw it as a kid on television. Just like Bebop.
>>
File: 1482725195385.gif (355KB, 300x190px) Image search: [Google]
1482725195385.gif
355KB, 300x190px
>>153053073
>>
FMA:Brotherhood
GTO
>>
>>153053208
Irrelevant to the point and your criticism of the film is extremely shallow.
>>
>>153053264
>Be reasonable here.
A reasonable person knows that Eva looks really fucking good for a TV series.
>>
Champloo was better tbqh
>>
>>153053427
>>153047217
>>153036907
>>153036949
MAL is here.
>>
>>153052908
>NGE is a masterpiece

Whoa there. I know you probably think it's got the deepest and most complex story out there, but everyone fucking knows that half of it's just there for rule of cool and didn't actually "mean anything" until otakus started over-analyzing it.

I found it boring. Especially when they stopped with the cool monster fights and just started monologuing everything.
>>
>>153053303
>Want to know how it's easy to tell that you're a retard with no knowloge of what you're talking about?
>Calling someone a retard when you can't type the word KNOWLEDGE correctly.
You want to know how someone is talking out of their ass? Disputing the fact that the last stretch of the series has absolutely shit tier animation because they went overbudget. Something that has been discussed over and
over again.
>>153053348
Won't take away from the series when it did hit the high points. But again. Episode 20-25 are pure shite in terms of that. Thank goodness Anno is a good director and did the best he could.
>>153053453
Again. The animation is good up until EVA 01 goes berserk for the last time and then it's slow descent into the poor house.
>>
>>153053503
I wanted to like it but couldn't.

>>153053448
>your criticism of the film is extremely shallow

And I suppose your assertion that Bebop sucks because it isn't Japanese enough isn't just as shallow?
>>
>>153053503
Flamenco is the greater swordsman.
>>
>>153046223
god forbid we use other cultures as a mirror amiright?
>>
>>153053534
>but everyone fucking knows
Only casuals who believe everything they read on blogs or hear on Youtube believe that.
>>
>>153036907
Haha good post.

But can any anime be better than Fullmetal Alchemist? I don't mean 2003's Fullmetal Alchemist that ends with the movie Conqueror of Shamballa, but Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood which which stays true to the original manga adapation and is by far the superior anime in terms of plot, action and comedy.
>>
>>153053578
>Anno is a good director

Fucking lol

What's he directed since NGE?
>>
>>153053658
Kare Kano
It's actually got a pretty good first half.
>>
>>153053654
>Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood which which stays true to the original manga adapation and is by far the superior anime in terms of plot, action and comedy.

I know you're baiting but I actually agree with this.

Same goes for Hellsing vs Hellsing Ultimate.
>>
>>153053658
Shin Godzilla
>>
To Love Ru
Yosuga no Sora
Valkyrie Drive Mermaid
>>
>>153053390
>the action scenes are mostly shit
No, they weren't shit. They were just more comedic at the beginning. The manga switched from shonen to seinen and so the anime carried the tonal shifts too, I'm guessing you liked the seinen part more because it was more dramatic and edgy, but there were so many cool moments in the beginning (like when Vash shot the arm of the giant Nebraska family guy to divert it's direction).

>It's a mediocre action series
Mediocre my ass. It's a solid 8/10 at the very least if you can overlook it's animation which was fine for its time.

>with childish "morality play" undertones
It's the time honored classic of "kill or do not kill" that's been played with in classics like Batman, the Bible, etc. Just upped to 11. If it didn't make you think at all then you must've had your brain turned off. The last time I rewatched it (again, less than a week ago) I even had a few hearty debates with a friend I watched it with over the matter of killing.
>>
>>153053658
He's not the best but he is good.
>re:Cutie Honey
>Cutie Honey movie
>Shiki-Jitsu
>Love&Pop
>Kare Kano
>Rebuild of Evangelion
>Shin-Godzilla
>>
>>153053709
Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate piss me off.

Hellsing is shit but I appreciated the fact that it dived a bit more into Seras's condition as a vampire and how the Hellsing organization acted towards supernatural threats.\
Hellsing Ultimate is the manga and while i loved it, i think it's a got an absolute shit tier ending that Hirano pulled straight out of his fat ass because he wanted to be done with it asap.
>>
TTGL
HunterxHunter
>>
>>153053876

> pulled straight out of his fat ass because he wanted to be done with it asap.

All fiction is asspull.
>>
>>153053959
>HunterxHunter

Tried it, wanted to like it, couldn't.

Why does the boy fight with a fucking fishing pole?
>>
>>153053534
>Retard think he's making legit or genuine criticism on the series
>Is exposed as a massive tool who has no idea what he's talking about
Every time.

First off, NGE isn't even just good because it's deep or complex, like I said, It excels in all areas, it was innovative, had good characters, good story, intriguing themes, amazing direction and good animation, not to mention great OST. Second, the only thing that was confirmed as being there just to look cool is the religious symbolism, not the psychological and philosophical themes of the show, but of course you wouldn't know this, you're just parroting stuff you read on /a/ because you are unable to formulate legit criticism using your own thoughts. And last but not least, the religious symbolism still has meaning to the plot and characters of the show, obvious meaning by the way. The producers were purposefully downplaying it when they said that in the interview.

>I found it boring.
Cool
>>
>>153053970
Remember Hitman Reborn's ending?
>>
>>153053959
>HunterxHunter
Which one?
>>
>>153053604
>And I suppose your assertion that Bebop sucks because it isn't Japanese enough isn't just as shallow?
I never said that. Good job proving to me that you have the perception and reading comprehension skills of an Ape though.
>>
File: NGE25Shinji01[1].jpg (15KB, 432x247px) Image search: [Google]
NGE25Shinji01[1].jpg
15KB, 432x247px
>>153053983
What does it mean? :^)
>>
>>153053959
>HunterxHunter
Only 1999. People who think 2011 are good are idiots with no aprpeciate for visuals or aesthetics.
>>
>>153054138
What do you mean? You want to know why he did it?
>>
>>153054084
>I never said that
You most certainly fucking implied it though.

Wanting just a few more shows be westernized is not a bad thing.
>>
>>153054186
I want to know what the fucking point of that scene was.

The only good part of the movie was Asuka vs the mass-produced ones and all the side characters getting killed by soldiers.

Everything else was garbage.
>>
>>153053983
>And last but not least, the religious symbolism still has meaning to the plot and characters of the show, obvious meaning by the way.
That's enough man.
Just go have a lie down.
>>
>>153054212
>You most certainly fucking implied it though.
Nope, I didn't. I said the success it gathered in the west was due to its western style. The criticism I made on the series was that it was all style and no substance and that It fails to stimulate you beyond a superficial level.
>>
>>153054322
so this... is the power of manime... Woah
>>
>>153054322

>Character doesn't matter, just action.

Fuck off, turbofag.
>>
File: Nofap Days.jpg (576KB, 2494x1104px) Image search: [Google]
Nofap Days.jpg
576KB, 2494x1104px
>>153054322
It's an anti-masturbation metaphor.
nofap is love nofap is life
>>
>>153054376
Shinji is an unlikable character that can't do anything right because of his massive fucking vagina.
>>
>>153054356
>I want to know what the fucking point of that scene was.
For real? To give further characterization to Shinji and to show the audience the sorry state he was in after all the events in the series.

>The only good part was this action scene that was mostly shown as a way to develop Asuka as a character and to emphasize one of the messages of the show and film
>But this retard probably thinks that's only good because it has action and upbeat music
I'm vomiting.
>>
>>153053983
>The producers were purposefully downplaying it when they said that in the interview.
Maybe it was downplayed by fear of being accused of using "wrongly" religious symbolism and pissing off christian people.
I think the christian symbolism use was a bit shallow. And even if some obvious parallels are interesting (like Kaworu=Jesus) it doesn't really resist serious scrutiny. You don't lose a lot by ignoring it.

>>153054212
He didn't implied it you idiot, you just interpreted it that way because you can't into non-binary arguments.

>>153054138
It means you're a faggot for masturbating to 2D teenage girls.
>>
File: 1484946598028.gif (991KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1484946598028.gif
991KB, 500x281px
Dandy>Bebop>Champloo>Slope
>>
>>153054595
Obviously meant to >>153054322

But this >>153054356 guy is also incapable of having honest and genuine discussion, so my vomit applies to him as well.
>>
>>153054369
>The criticism I made on the series was that it was all style and no substance and that It fails to stimulate you beyond a superficial level.
Style over substance would be if Spike had simply made a homage to Bruce Lee by fighting the jackass from Enter the Dragon rather than taking Bruce Lee's philosophies to heart and expanding upon it throughout his character arc.
Style over substance would be Julia simply being a pastiche of women in noir films rather than the entire arc with the syndicate being a noir plotline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hihUEilI3E&t=10s
>>
File: NoFap.jpg (116KB, 700x888px) Image search: [Google]
NoFap.jpg
116KB, 700x888px
>>153054595
IT WAS AN ANTI-MASTURBATION METAPHOR
>>
>>153054683
The religious symbolism means jack shit.
The japanese look upon christian iconography the same way we look at ancient egyptian practices.
>>
>>153054643
Swap Bebop and Champloo and you've got it
>>
>>153052970
>Certainly not the animation
>Nor the focus
How abysmal an "opinion" you've got there.
>>
>>153054873
Sephirotic is a real nigga
>>
>>153053534
>I found it boring.
Boring is a state of mind, and more so a criticism of oneself than the object of critique.
>>
>>153050610
I have seen 7/10 of those and I can't really agree with you. All memes aside bebop is actually pretty great.
>>153051778
Those who have seen SAC usually have seen the movie too. I prefer SAC over the movie, by quite a large margin too.
>>
>>153054744
No they don't you fuckwit. Japanese christianity is a thing. They even have evangelist churches.
The western cultural influence is so huge that everyone has some notion of what is christianity, be it directly or indirectly through western fiction and philosophy, psychology, science etc.
>>
>>153054977
>I have seen 7/10 of those and I can't really agree
Then list 7 anime which you believe to hold more significance in terms of artistic merit and influential value to the medium.
>>
>>153054626
>He didn't implied it you idiot, you just interpreted it that way because you can't into non-binary arguments.
>The main appeal of anime is to get works with a different perspective from our own culture.
>Basically, wanting anime to be westernized would be the death of anime, as it would lose all identity.
Just because a show is westernized doesn't mean it loses its identity as an anime nor does it devalue it in the eyes of its medium.
What makes anime special isn't exclusively defined by what a f/a/ggot believes.
People still love the show and keep it in high regard years after the fact
>>
>>153054744
The religious symbolism has extremely obvious implications to the plot of NGE, you can argue whether this makes for a deeper show or not, but denying their existence is outright dishonesty or plain stupidity.

Even the fucking title of the show gives the idea of apocalypse and rebirth.
>>
>>153050610
Just scrap Ergo Proxy and you're good.
>>
>>153055028
>Japanese christianity is a thing.
Barely.
>>
>>153055091
Not the guy you replied to but:
One Punch Man
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Full Metal Alchemist
Code Geass
Kill la Kill
>>
>>153055112
>Just because a show is westernized doesn't mean it loses its identity as an anime nor does it devalue it in the eyes of its medium.
Actually, trying to make anime appealing to the west would make it lose most of its identity. That means anime would have no identity? Not really, but it wouldn't be the same anime the we watch and love now. Anime is the way it is because it's a japanese product, made by japanese for other japaneses and that's the reason we like it, because it's different from our own mediums.

Pay attention to my posts and you see that I never implied that Bebop is bad because it panders to the west, I said that anime as a whole pandering to the west is a bad thing.
>>
Did spike die
>>
>>153055370
It's a pity that you like such good shows, like NGE and TTGL and yet holds garbage like CG and OPM in the same regard.
>>
>>153055028>>153055028

>the religious symbolism has extremely obvious implications to the plot of NGE
Ok.
What does any of the christian iconography or terms actually mean to the characters?
Misato isn't christian and her cross is just a keepsake from her dad.

Just because it exists in a setting doesn't automatically give it a meaning because it isn't used in correct context.
WE know what these items and symbols mean. The creators didn't care to tie them into the narrative. They just put them because they look cool.
>>153055028
You know how many Christians there are in japan?
ONE percent of its population. It's an almost alien concept to them.
>>
File: 1442801674517.jpg (100KB, 540x394px) Image search: [Google]
1442801674517.jpg
100KB, 540x394px
>>153055370
Eva is already listed. As for the rest of your weak bait: only one of those has had any lasting impression to speak of, and none can be said to hold artistic merit over anything in the previous list.
>>
>>153055091
I do hope you didn't take from my comment that I would not have liked the shows I have seen, since I like all of the shows listed that I actually have seen.
>Then list 7 anime which you believe to hold more significance in terms of artistic merit and influential value to the medium.
I don't think bebop gets outclassed in those aspects when compared with the shows listed. Bebop is stronger in some aspects, weaker in others. It really comes down to personal preferences and bebop tics a lot of boxes for me. Though I wouldn't say I prefer bebop to all of the shows listed. Anyhow which shows I prefer changes with time and my general mood so I don't really try to look at things as "objectively better or worse" or "artistic merit and influential value to the medium".
>>
File: 1422176241136.jpg (1MB, 2569x1928px) Image search: [Google]
1422176241136.jpg
1MB, 2569x1928px
>>153055424
He died with this board.
>>
>>153050964
That's some proper grimdark fantasy right there.
>berserk will not be finished for 10 or so years
I would be more mad if it wasn't kind of funny.
>>
>>153055485
Like I said, the whole plot is about prophecies being fulfilled, apocalypse and other religious themes. There's some symbolisms that are so obvious that I wonder how people can miss, like for example when third impact is happening and crosses start popping up throughout earth, which is obviously to symbolize the death/end of all those people and already proves that the imagery has meaning beyond looking cool. Hell, the very idea that humanity needs to be cleansed to be reborn is religious as it gets.
>>
>>153055483
>>153055508
This
>>
File: Shinichiro-Watanabe-anime.jpg (24KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
Shinichiro-Watanabe-anime.jpg
24KB, 620x350px
>>153036907
I would extend this to Watanabe's holy trinity as a whole

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Space Dandy are the only good anime ever made
>>
There is a lot of effort in this thread. Maybe you people should relax a little? Your efforts trying to prove that you are not in fact a bunch of bakas do not work on me and it probably will now work on each other either
>>
>>153055347
>>153055483
1% is 1,2 million people. It's not nothing.
But beyond parroting the "Religious symbolism in Eva was just there to look cool and didn't mean anything" sentence you've read in an "Evangelion explained" article, it probably makes you feel better to think japanese are uncultured drawing monkeys.
>>
>>153056074
>it probably makes you feel better to think japanese are uncultured drawing monkeys.
No, they just do the same thing that America does.
Give it to the Koreans and Chinese.
Seriously. Switch out all the bible imagery and and nothing changes.
Fucking hell, if the Big O hadn't gone and shit the bed with its ending NGE would have palled in comparison.
The first half of that show blows NGE out of the water. And we don't have to deal with a whiny bitch either.
>>
>>153056218
>Seriously. Switch out all the bible imagery and and nothing changes.
The show would still be good without, but it does change things, as the show wouldn't be the same.

>Fucking hell, if the Big O hadn't gone and shit the bed with its ending NGE would have palled in comparison.
>The first half of that show blows NGE out of the water. And we don't have to deal with a whiny bitch either.
Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah,

Thanks for the laugh, my friend.

>whiny bitch
Every time that I want to know if arguing with someone about EVA is worth or not, I ask their opinion about Shinji, and when they answer this, I just know that's not.
>>
God fucking damn it, /a/. Why didn't you just let this thread die when it was on page 10.
>>
>>153055508javascript:;
What do you mean by lasting impression? I'd agree that the shows on the original list have more artistic merit but most of them aren't very influential.
>>
>>153055948
>There is a lot of effort in this thread.
God forbid people for putting effort in their posts, we should all just shitpost endlessly with low effort baits
>>
File: 1486139423196.jpg (45KB, 722x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486139423196.jpg
45KB, 722x720px
>Thread about Cowboy Bebop
>It's full of toonami babies, nostalgiafags, newfags and MALtards
Every time.
>>
>>153053997
No, I dropped it somewhere during the time traveling arc, when they got to that island, I think.

It was years ago, so I may have the timeline mixed up. Want to spoil it for me?
>>
File: 1476653739090.png (542KB, 811x710px) Image search: [Google]
1476653739090.png
542KB, 811x710px
>>153055514
>I like
>which shows I prefer changes with time and my general mood
How is this relevant in the slightest? That's your opinion and your inherent emotional response to anime, but it doesn't change the value of the shows. Just because you like shit doesn't make it any less shit, and just because you dislike something doesn't make a show "bad". You're confusing baseless emotional response for valid critique; it's actually sick to think people like you project themselves onto any anime instead of viewing said anime as the static medium it is. If all you have say if "I like it" or "It was boring, I dislike it", then you have nothing to say in the first place. "Objectively better or worse" or "artistic merit and influential value to the medium" is absolutely relevant, because it applies even when your own opinion of an anime doesn't. To like or dislike something is an baseless thought process occurring solely in your brain, while influence, artistic merit, and so on exist outside of subjective judgment and critique.
>>
That's not Naruto
>>
>>153056507
So which of the four kingdoms are you from?
>>
File: embarrasment_01.png (794KB, 864x648px) Image search: [Google]
embarrasment_01.png
794KB, 864x648px
>>153056507
>complaint about thread quality
>it's full of buzzwords instead of contribution of any sort
>>
File: The greatest achievements.jpg (910KB, 2600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
The greatest achievements.jpg
910KB, 2600x1000px
>>153056605
You're not wrong.
>>
>>153047419
>>153050970
>>153052842
>>153053073
>>153053534
>>153054322
>>153054494
>>153056218
Holy fucking shit. Literally /v/-incarnate. Please get out.
>>
>>153056074
>1% is 1,2 million people. It's not nothing.
>christmas is barely a holiday
>It's not nothing
It is. The birth of a religions prophet is kind of a big deal.
>>
File: 1484711259534.jpg (16KB, 412x295px) Image search: [Google]
1484711259534.jpg
16KB, 412x295px
>>153056655
The thread is already shit and infested to the brim with shitposters and crossboarders, I would never be able to save it anyway.
>>
>>153041003
This
It's objectively shit, its one of the first anime I watched and I began to think all anime are shit and lowered my future expectations a lot
>>
>>153056773
In my case I watched Bebop as a kid and thought it was the best anime ever. Later when I grew up and started to search more for anime on the internet I realized that Bebop was just okay and not really that special.
>>
>>153056696
>/v/ section
wew
>>
>>153056758
Ok, so France doesn't have Jews and Muslims since their religious celebrations weren't made into national holiday.
>>
>>153056452
>this thread
>not endless shitposting with bait
>>153056577
>valid critique
You say that but in your own arguments you go straight for the ad hominem. Anyhow all shows are not created equal sure, but what is going on in this thread is not debating about quality of shows or what makes a show good or not but it is about you and the couple other shitposters trying to validate yourselves.
>>153056507
It can't be helped. Even obvious bait like OPs post gets them come apart at the seams.
>>
File: Sopranos.jpg (266KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Sopranos.jpg
266KB, 1280x720px
How can anime even compete?
>>
>>153056696
The only good album on there is TVU&N and the anime list is trash.
>>
>>153051124
Is this just a meme or is it actually worth watching
>>
>>153056991
K-On is better.
>>
>>153056959
What are you talking about? We are talking about how minor Christianity is in Japan and how most Japanese people barely understand it or really even care.
>>
>>153036949
I think this is the most contrarian post I've ever read

who the fuck actually believes this

I've been baited and I don't even give a shit
>>
>>153057031
The vidya list would cause a riot.
>>
>>153056520
Nothing happens!
>>
>>153058103
Yeah, that too.
>>
>>153057293
I was just pointing out that your argument "Christmas isn't a national holiday means japanese don't know shit about christianity" was retarded.
Anyway I don't intend to argue over this anymore, it's too retarded.
>>
File: 1470727042414.jpg (16KB, 180x192px) Image search: [Google]
1470727042414.jpg
16KB, 180x192px
I mean, it is my favorite anime but I understand people not getting into it. Its episodic nature as well as its very unique pace can easily turn off. One of the complaints I hear the most is that it's style over substance, but I'd argue that in CB's case it's a perfect example of style actually being substance in itself. The aesthetics of the show compliment its point, meaning and depth. Even if you don't dig it it's one of those where you have to admit it's a singular piece of work with a immense amount of heart poured into it.
>>
>>153057339
There are people here born in 1999

what do you expect?
>>
>>153036907
that would be kimi no na wa

everyone agrees on it
>>
>>153050610
>ergo proxy
oh shit man stop you're memeing too hard
>>
>>153042066
because they're undefined. You can imagine any of the characters however you want. You can put them in any setting and have them do literally anything to progress the plot.

>>153044153
>anything but the color blue, ed
what did she mean by this?

>>153056858
yhea bebop is entry level as fug

its not bad but its not good either
>>
>>153062146
Under normal circumstances the "it's entry level so it must be bad" logic is dropped after 14-15 years old or so.
>>
>>153064166
I think what he means is "It's entry-level so it gets a lot of love because of the novelty it is for its audience". Not that his post makes much sense though.
>>
File: 1481506066004.png (246KB, 589x610px) Image search: [Google]
1481506066004.png
246KB, 589x610px
>>153036907
Everyone other than me has shit taste, you included op.

What else is new.
>>
>>153064402
>"It's entry-level so it gets a lot of love because of the novelty it is for its audience".

That would make sense if Cowboy Bebop was just a patchwork of different anime brought together, then you'd see that it's just common stuff found in the medium once you've watched a good amount of them. Problem is CB is the complete opposite. It appeals to so many people that don't even watch anime in the first place because it strays far and away from what (mis)conceptions such people would have about anime to begin with.

It still holds its title as "gateway anime" but that's only half the story, I've seen many people give up after they tried to explore more anime because they didn't find anything that comes close to what they felt watching Cowboy Bebop.
>>
>>153056696
>Diamond Dogs
That alone proves whoever made this is a fool.
>>
>>153065771

Yeah, DD is arguably his weakest 70s album (Pin-Ups doesn't count)

But then again, there's also Naruto, Minecraft, BioShock Infinite...
>>
>>153036907
KOBAYASHIII
>>
>>153054775
That's perfect my man, thank you.
>>
>>153065771
That alone proves it's bait made by /v/, possibly by the legend himself
>>
File: 1455060197198.png (154KB, 492x746px) Image search: [Google]
1455060197198.png
154KB, 492x746px
i dont browse hear to often but every time i do it seems like all the things i think are great, people on /a/ find a reason to shit on. And im not salty when i say this but im just confused

so as a serious question, what IS something that is commonly considered great by you guys.
>>
>>153068455
eva maybe

if it's controversial and mentioned often it's probably at least worth a watch
>>
>>153047217
anime or manga?
>>
>>153068719
Well besides that, i shouldve included in the post that almost everyone know how widely accepted that is on here. is there anything else?
>>
>>153053534
If you genuinely believe Eva's widespread praise is due solely to the heavy handed religious symbolism that is only present to reinforce visual tone and atmosphere, then I can only assume you've been living under a rock. How could you possibly watch the series and come away from it thinking the focus was anything but the characters and their psychology? Are you legitimately retarded?
>>
>>153056507
Maybe if OP didn't go full retard, that wouldn't be the case.
>>
File: 1481066416603.gif (1MB, 212x194px) Image search: [Google]
1481066416603.gif
1MB, 212x194px
>>153055370
>One Punch Man
>Significant in terms of artistic merit
>>
>>153036907
This is the most successful bait thread in a while.
>>
>>153056520
Turns out the babies are like a race of superhumans that originated before mankind.
I-pin's master is the King baby
Tsuna doesn't become Vongola X
Reborn literally gives up
comes back a week later.
HURR I MAEK U SUPER MAFIA BOSS NAO VONGOLA SUPER

It was complete shit.
Thread posts: 190
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.