[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

80s JJBA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10

File: jojos.jpg (5KB, 265x190px) Image search: [Google]
jojos.jpg
5KB, 265x190px
Lets be real guys, anyone who dismisses the old school JJBA on the premise that it's old/cheesy is a pleb.
>>
>>152938131

Things old school JJBA did better

1.More fluid animation
2.Better action scenes
3.Better establishment of atmosphere
4.Darby Fight
5.Jotaro vs Forever
6.Jotaro vs Dio
>>
>>152938131
Old Dio was amazing.
>>
>>152938280
>AN OIL TANKER FOR YOU
>>
>>152938131
wait, there are people that dismiss the old JJBA?

I mean, the fact that it originally done media res was bad, but who can honestly complain about anything else?
>>
>>152938131
This OVA was pretty good, my only complaint is that it was too short
>>
File: JoJo OVA 1993 (24).png (511KB, 720x542px) Image search: [Google]
JoJo OVA 1993 (24).png
511KB, 720x542px
90s Anon.
>>
>>152938436

People with shit taste/normies
>>
>>152938131
I thought it was from the 90s
>>
Most incredible character design
>>
The original batch looked great but those previous episodes they decided to come in and animate a few years later looked really grey and drab. What happened?
>>
>>152938131
it was 90s but yeah, it was pretty good. i would have enjoyed seeing the other parts done in their own unique OVAs as well.
>>
>>152938759
same thing that happened with video games for the early part of the new millennium.

realistic = good
realistic = drab
drab = good
>>
The delivery on the lines is just too good.
>>
File: 1327767046250.jpg (65KB, 445x488px) Image search: [Google]
1327767046250.jpg
65KB, 445x488px
They're certainly not as bad as people make them out to be, but they take themselves too seriously and loose the essence of what makes Jojo "Jojo". The TV series has all that flamboyant flair that makes Jojo unique.

Though with that said, I don't think anyone can deny that the Darby and Dio fights were handled much better in the OVA.

That said, the Pre-Egypt episodes are fucking awful and anyone who says otherwise is just a contrarian faggot.
>>
k
>>
>>152938201
>Jotaro vs Forever
you mean that fight that literally lasted 5 seconds
>>
>>152938131
>I saw Jojo briefly as a child because my biological father may have been a fan
>tfw I thought it was gay because of the way they were dressed

I was a stupid child
>>
>>152940043
You were smarter as a child than you are now
>>
>>152940016

Yeah and it was 10 times better than his fight in the 2012 anime.
>>
>>152938614
Animation for all we know could have begun in the 70s
>>
>>152940104
>Part 3 anime was 4 years ago.
>>
>>152940104
Not much of an accomplishment, I always thought that fight was pretty weak in general even tho it had potential considering Forever's stand.
>>
>>152938131
Looks pretty comfy
>>
Sub or Dub for this version?
>>
>>152941013
Both are pretty good
>>
>>152941110
But if you had to choose one which one and why?
>>
>>152941140
I'd pick kill yourself you fucking retarded ass tripfag
>>
>>152938131
>dismisses the old school JJBA on the premise that it's old/cheesy
I refuse to believe that there is a mother fucker dumb enough to believe that any version of JoJo isnt loaded with cheese
>>
>>152941140
Yes.
>>
>>152939527
>They're certainly not as bad as people make them out to be, but they take themselves too seriously

People who say this aren't Jojo fans. They're David Production fans. Most of the content that makes the new anime particularly wacky, like visible onomatopoeias, dramatic freeze frames, and intentionally hammy voice acting either weren't present in or due to the difference in mediums didn't have the same effect in the original manga. They're artistic decisions made by an adaptation that came out 20 years after the OVAs.
>>
>>152942308
Agreed. David isn't adapting a manga, they're animating a meme manga. The first actual indication of onomatopoeias being relevant was Echoes.
>>
>>152938201
>3.Better establishment of atmosphere
disagree with you there

The animation was certainly better and reflected the higher budget. Most of the changes they made were to the detriment of the series though, and they cut out some of the best fights. I would have killed to see Iggy vs Petshop or Death 13 in the 80's style.
>>
>>152939202
the dub is pretty underrated too

IMMA GO TAKE A SHIT
>>
>>152940104
>and now for no reason, Star Platinum has extend-o fingers!
>>
>>152942308
I'll concede that the visible onomatopoeias were something that David Productions did to flair up the story, but you have to be pretty blind to think that JoJo was ever not campy as fuck. Not playing up the ham would make the story extremely dry and dull, especially in Part 1 and 2s case.

It's not even that I think the anime is a "perfect" adaption of JoJo either. I think that the pacing is way better in the manga and that the anime draws things out too much. But part of Jojos appeal is how bizzare it is, and I think that Davidpro did a better job of capturing that than the OVAs.
>>
>>152943585
Jojo works far better as deliberately overly grim 90s OVA than as campy homofest
>>
>>152943783
That's nice but the Manga is hardly deliberately grim.
>>
>>152943850
irrelevant.
an adaption is not supposed to be a transcription of the source material to a different medium, hence "adaption"
>>
>>152940043
You weren't wrong though.
>>
>>152943879
I didn't know it was possible to have taste this shit. I bet you're one of those "manime" faggots who think that anything is good just because it's gritty, dark and violent.
>>
>>152944849
I bet you like jojo
>>
>>152943879
Yeah but changing the tone of the source material has to be done very carefully.
In the manga, Jotaro was a stealth parody of badass shonen heroes that made him fun to follow
>Hey Avdol, can you say your cool catchphrase?
>Oh? Then who's going to be the MC?
>I suddenly watch Columbo like a nerd
>I somehow did something as stupid as swallow five cigarettes off-screen
>I actually bet my mom's soul on a worthless hand. Yare yare that was a close call
>This sewer is taken

The OVA made him serious and he became the exact same bland character people usually mistake him for.
>>
>>152943879
Yes it is you fucking twat. You're adapting a story from one medium into another. Changes may be made in order to make the story more suited to that medium, but it's supposed to be done carefully and keeping the regional tone and "point" of the original in tact.
>>
>>152942308
>Part 1
>Relevant to anything
Yes, Jojo when Araki was still in his Hokuto no Ken ripoff phase is totally representative.

Read the manga. All of it.
>>
Secondaries are one thing, but this is a whole other level.

Tertiary?
>>
>>152945094
Pretty sure he was meant to be taken seriously in the original manga, or if it was intended as parody, that certainly its how it was interpreted by the fanbase during it's initial release. Jotaro for years was considered one of the biggest badasses in manga, and still is to a certain extent. It's really only time and hindsight that have made the parody clear.
>>
>>152945094
We only see all of that as campy because we're already over that stage and reached a post-irony culture.
>>
File: beSeeingYouSpaceCowboy.jpg (119KB, 1000x802px) Image search: [Google]
beSeeingYouSpaceCowboy.jpg
119KB, 1000x802px
>>152938131
didnt satoshi kon direct one of the episodes?
>>
>>152947369
Yes and it's considered to be the best episode in the series.
>>
>>152941013
The dub is terrible
>>
>N'Doul's stand screaming like an elephant at 16.48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSznJDPboo4

Who the hell was in charge of mixing this thing?
>>
>>152948080
Holy shit, I love how fast the Stands are at some points.
>thrown Iggy
>final move
>suicide by water
>>
File: 1459918187611.jpg (39KB, 591x522px) Image search: [Google]
1459918187611.jpg
39KB, 591x522px
No one fucking liked the old anime besides the darby episode and the abridged series.
>>
>>152938131
>80's
1993 anon
>>
>>152948425
which kinda makes you wonder about JoJo's tendency to abuse the whole talking is a free action thing.
>>
>>152949151
well, that's just a tendency of battle manga in general
>>
>>152948521

I still say the 90s OVAs are superior to the modern part 3 adaption.

Much better Dio fight. There is also somebody I know in person on this very thread who knows exactly who I am that is going to disagree with this.
>>
>>152949151
Manga can get away with it since people generally read faster than actors speak, and you're much less aware of time passing when reading manga.
>>
>>152951002
>>152949199
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMrWFD3LWYU

I like to pretend that they just speak really fucking fast
>>
>>152943585
Obviously not given what we got with the OVA. Really, most of the complaints I see from people about Part I are from those who watched the anime. Also

>Young Joseph Joestar

Is campy without adding anything to force it. It's part of his personality. The new anime should have just done that and let the characters speak for themselves.

>part of Jojo's appeal is how bizarre it is
Which comes from concepts such as ripple, vampires, stands, and stone masks. Not from adapatational quirks that only appeared in the anime and that only could have appeared in an anime.

>>152945443
Part 3 is the same way for what the the OVA adapted with Jotaro being the most Kenshiro of them all. The complaint amongst those who think that the OVA is too serious is that they it didn't add a bunch of shit like hammy delivery to tone this down.

>>152945198
Then you're going to want to go with the OVA.
>>
>>152953767
You're being extremely contrarian. It's one thing to hate Jojo secondaries, but to claim that the manga doesn't revel in flamboyant camp is just retarded.
>>
>>152954027
>Part 4

David Production probably would have been a better fit for Part 4 and 5 in which the flamboyance was already heavy, instead of for, say, Part 3, in which even the D'arby game was made to seem "fabulous" and comedic through how they adapted it. Giorno and Jotaro are night and day.
>>
I know everyone hates Nobuo Tanaka's DIO but what's the general opinion about Jūrōta Kosugi's Jotaro?
>>
>>152954322
He did a pretty allright job, I thought he was the best casted seiyu in the OVAs.
>>
Reminder that gappy makes me moderately satisfied for a period of time.
>>
>>152951751
My headcanon is that, being Stand users, just as they can see each others' Stands, they can also hear each others' thoughts if the "speaker" "thinks aloud"
>>
>>152954322
Great Jotaro, silly Star Platinum
>>
What about the Part 1 movie the studio made, was it any good?
>>
>>152954475
Nobody has seen it. The limited few that did say they hated it.
>>
>>152954475
It got a limited theatrical release and was panned by everyone who saw it. They never even bothered with a DVD release and they probably never will. Given it's reception you can see why all those rumours about Araki demanding it never be released sprung up. There's also no copies of it online since people disliked it so much, which fuels the rumour flame even more.
>>
>>152954475
It was so bad that Araki stepped in and prevented the movie from getting a home video release. The little we know of the film is based from viewer testimonies, the trailer and the animation reel some dude got his animation professor to dig out.
>>
>>152954475

The film was received negatively by fans and Araki himself during its initial theatrical release. Many Japanese fans who saw it have boycotted the film due to how poorly it adapted Phantom Blood. The main reasons include:

>Robert E. O. Speedwagon was presented as a minor villain, having been defeated at Ogre Street and never mentioned again.
>The characters Poco, Dire, and Straizo were also not featured. Naturally, this means that Jonathan was alone during his final battle with Dio.
>The concept of the Ripple was not explained clearly.
>The movie was considered too short (Approx. 90 minutes), condensed, and basically "destroyed the original story".
The film has never been released on home media. While the reason behind this has never been officially revealed, it's generally assumed to be attributed to either the poor reception or the controversy surrounding the series and Studio A.P.P.P. at the time.
>>
>>152954610
I've heard from some Nips on 2ch that they tried to blend Speedwagon's character into Zeppeli's with disastrous results. Not much else though.
>>
For anyone who's curious to see some footage of the Phantom Blood movie, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSyev_EFa_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB66laScBPU
>>
>>152954610
One of the producers died mid production and his family withdrew funding from the film. Plus a producer dying half way through any films production would really fuck it up. The studio probably had to scramble to find a replacement and still try to directionlessly work on the movie.
>>
I think Jotaro vs Dio did a better job with Dio's powers, because it really sells the "what the fuck is going on" reaction among characters. You genuinely don't know what Dio's power is until Joseph figures it out.

Also it wasn't 80s, it was 1993
>>
>>152949285
Nice blog.
>>
JJBA never made me laugh. It ain't funny
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.