[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Goblin Slayer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

File: gs.jpg (175KB, 1401x1000px) Image search: [Google]
gs.jpg
175KB, 1401x1000px
Manga > LN

I started reading the LN, and it's not as detailed as the manga is. You'd think the opposite would be true, but the manga author is really filling in gaps.

>manga explains how the goblins ambushed the group in chapter one; LN glosses it over with the goblins "digging tunnels" from the side or something
>manga has GS masking Priestess' smell with entrails and blood; LN doesn't
>manga combines CG and GG chapters for better pacing
>manga shows stone ranked adventurers falling for a goblin ambush and getting taken out by the goblin with a sling; LN has them simply falling to superior numbers (though it does mention they made the mistake of attacking at noon)
>manga has GS obsessing over just hearing someone say the word goblin; LN leaves out that gag
>>
What frustrates me a little about this is that for trying to have its main character to be such a weapons&armor nerd, it gets it way too wrong.
It's still enjoyable though.
>>
>>152823055
Explain why it's wrong, weapons&armor sage.
>>
>>152823165
Most obvious example in that image is the sword.
The "guard" is downright silly. The blade size is retarded. The lack of pommel is stupid.
>>
Not surprising at all. It takes no talent to succeed in the LN industry (It's just dumb luck having your story become the fotm) whereas the manga industry is fucking brutal. I can think of many cases where a LN's manga adaptation was better.
>>
>>152823365
Name some, faggot
>>
>>152823332
Huh, rigth. Are you actually talking about the design of the sword?
It's a piece of metal that can cut, if you can brandish it there's basically no problem. The guard also fullfils its purpose.
>>
>>152823532
Uh Pokemon and Digimon
>>
>>152823332
Too big, too thick, too heavy and too rough.
It was more like a piece of iron...
>>
>>152823532
Off the top of my head Haganai, Infinite Stratos and Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou are vastly improved in the manga versions. In particular, trying to read the Infinite Stratos LN made me want to fucking kill myself. It's so badly written holy fuck.
>>
>>152823672
>It's a piece of metal that can cut, if you can brandish it there's basically no problem. The guard also fullfils its purpose.
Absolutely wrong.
The formula for kinetic energy is E = 1/2mv².
The more massive the blade, the slower it is. If the blade is too slow, you can't kill goblins with it.
A guard is supposed to catch blades and prevent them from hitting your hand.
A guard without anything to stop the blade fails at that job. It's not critical if you have a shield, but since his shield does not extend even to his left hand, that means if he wants to guard his right hand while attacking, his reach is shit.
Swords are not just pieces of metal with an edge. They are highly refined tools.
>>
>every one of those people you knew for 10 pages gets a 1-page flashback before they get killed
For fucks sake
>>
>>152823860
Yeah, that can't be a sword it's just a slab of metal
>>
>>152823977
I have no problems with Guts and his Dragonslayer. I already pointed out that my frustration stems from Goblinslayer supposedly being such a weapons&armor nerd.
>>
>>152823860
>The more massive the blade, the slower it is. If the blade is too slow, you can't kill goblins with it.
>you can't kill goblins with it
You are not even trying.

Assuming the sword is heavy, if he hits a goblin then he can kill it with one blow.
We are talking about creatures that are not smart. However, we cannot assume that, we don't know the material. And he can clearly brandish it, unless you are ignoring the facts stablished in the manga, of course.
You are right about the guard though.
>>
>>152823797
>dat description
That's how I like my cocks, so delicious.
>>
>>152823055
All his weapons are throwaways, he likes to experiment too so he brings all sorts of stuff.
And don't forget that he's a manlet so the sword is smaller than pictured so easily usable for thrusts and small slashes.
>>
>>152824256
>Assuming the sword is heavy, if he hits a goblin then he can kill it with one blow.
You can do that with light blades. With heavy blades you can't do it because the blade is too slow.
>>
>>152824256
>And he can clearly brandish it,
Sure. By his franchise's physics, it works out. I'll not detest that. It's just something that I think the author could have gone with real-world physics with.
>>
>>152824335
>You can do that with light blades. With heavy blades you can't do it because the blade is too slow.
Depend's on how heavy though. That sword is small and probably not as heavy as you think it is.Depending on the weight it can even help you to cut with more ease.
>>
>>152824495
I can see that it is extremely broad and has no fuller. I can also see that
It is thus incredibly heavy. So heavy that I'd argue it would move like an ax, not like a sword. The point of balance is probably close to the center of the blade.
And here is where the lack of pommel becomes problematic. While swinging this sword that you can't cut traditionally with anymore you are fighting the centrifugal force that would pull the sword out of your grip. And there is no pommel to stop it from happening.

>it can even help you to cut with more ease.
Not really. The only kind of cut that really gets improved by weight is the chop, and that's the least efficient cut.
>>
>>152824719
I see. Now that we are playing the "the things I assume are correct" and apparently weight doesn't help you cut with more ease, then lets just say that the sword is made out of mithril. That should solve it.
>>
>>152824987
>That should solve it.
Mostly, other than it's still a waste of metal with only downsides.
I didn't mean to make this thread about my minor criticism though. Let's just drop it.
>>
File: 026.png (632KB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
026.png
632KB, 900x1350px
>>152823939
The warrior's death was better in the manga. The LN just talks about how he used to read fairy tales growing up on his farm.
>>
File: 002.png (2MB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
002.png
2MB, 900x1350px
>>152823332
thats the LN art
>>
>>152826139
That looks like a functional sword, but it's still bad.
>>
>>152826189
It's a gobo-stolen throwaway.
Don't think to much about it or your head will explode.
>>
File: 019.jpg (113KB, 321x413px) Image search: [Google]
019.jpg
113KB, 321x413px
>>152826189
he discards it
>>
>Priestess is 15
>GS is 20
Isn't she a little young for him?
>>
>>152827941
Just wait one year and she's ready.
>>
>>152827941
Don't apply modern age/consent laws to fantasy, especially not when human history has had younger girls married off to even older men.
>>
File: 1485285848051.png (224KB, 599x617px) Image search: [Google]
1485285848051.png
224KB, 599x617px
>>152827941
Old enough to participate in the gobbo genocide is old wnough my friend
>>
File: got season finale.jpg (30KB, 205x186px) Image search: [Google]
got season finale.jpg
30KB, 205x186px
>Man in full plate armor with a tower shield dies with a single direct strike from ogre that breaks both shield and armor
>GS in light armor survives a direct strike in the chest

And people still says things don't go conviniently good for GS. It's as if he played with a dice with only 20 while every other party plays with a dice that only has ones
>>
File: v1482966579685 copy.jpg (893KB, 1740x1305px) Image search: [Google]
v1482966579685 copy.jpg
893KB, 1740x1305px
>>
>>152826363
I have no knowledge about weapon sharpness except cooking knife but do blood and fat dull blade's sharpness to the point of unusable?
>>
>>152831132
No.
But they can make your grip on the sword bad and unstable.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.