[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anime History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1.png (91KB, 1451x771px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
91KB, 1451x771px
Do you care about and are you interested in the history of anime? Do you see it as something valuable to research and under?

Sometimes I wonder how people who just passively consume the seasonal shows that are served up to them en masse can consider themselves anything more than casual anime fans when they don't even have sufficient interest in the medium to do some basic research and understand its evolution.
>>
>>152775228
>Do you care
No.
>>
File: inouechart.jpg (1MB, 2880x1920px) Image search: [Google]
inouechart.jpg
1MB, 2880x1920px
>>152775228
Meant to post the English version here.
Also "under" should have been understand.

>>152775252
Why not? Just not sufficiently interested in anime?
>>
>>152775228
Yeah, sure. Wish there was more written on it available in English. Or I wish I knew Japanese.
>>
You have to learn Japanese first, and that's a pretty big hurdle.
>>
>>152775370
Being able to read interviews and texts on the anime industry without relying on translations is probably one of the main reasons I am learning Japanese to be honest.

Interesting translation about Toei Doga/Mushi Pro recently
https://ontheones.wordpress.com/2017/01/20/sadao-tsukioka-interview-part-12-anime-limited-animation/

>>152775419
You can get a decent understanding of the overall big important things from English sources as long as you aren't relying on books by certain popular western "anime experts" but yeah eventually to learn more you need Japanese.
>>
>>152775468
Oh yeah I read that one, pretty interesting. Not sure I agree with (or maybe I just don't understand) what he's saying about ritualization being a benefit of limited animation, but still cool to hear him talk about these things. Old Toei is my favourite stuff to read about, wish Miyazaki's books had started before 1979.
>>
>>152775228

>consider themselves anything more than casual anime fans when they don't even have sufficient interest in the medium to do some basic research and understand its evolution

I think you could pick any aspect of it, fixate on the details enough, and then separate the "casuals" from whatever else there is.

There are people out there, for example, who focus on the VAs and can list entire bodies of work for some of them, while it's nearly miraculous for me to pick out the same person voicing two characters every so often. The same could be said with studios, directors, etc. They might not have a clue about the overall history and progression of the medium, however. But I wouldn't necessarily call them "casual".

Knowledge of history and evolution is certainly one way this differentiation from "casual" could be expressed, but not the only way.

In the end, whatever way they express it, it's just a way to enhance their enjoyment of the product, just like some people like nice cars, but car "enthusiasts" generally are very knowledgeable about one or more aspects of their history/design/operation.
>>
it's not really a requirement
the only real thing that can set you as a casual is shit taste
>>
Aside from trying to watch/read an older series every once in a while I don't particularly care about the history. I'm just in it to be entertained.
>>
>>152775663
I think you make a fair point there are lots of niche deeper interests to have but I don't know I struggle to understand how people with a deep interest in anime wouldn't find it's history at least interesting and worthwhile to research besides other niche interests and in some cases outright dismiss the pursuit of knowledge in the area.
>>
>>152775545
Yeah not nessecarily saying I agree with his point of view still interesting to get other perspectives though. With regards to Toei do you have many other decent English language articles about their history? There's that Otsuka documentary, Miyazaki's books, those essays in the translated books like Frames of anime. I find the subject quite interesting too.
>>
>>152776098
Unfortunately nothing much if you've already gone through those, besides miscellaneous Anipages articles.
>>
>>152776503
Oh yeah forgot to mention that.
>>
>>152775228
I dig it, Tezuka and some of the oldies are always fun to read about and learn how they did what they did, but for the anime industry specifically I think that requires a really thorough knowledge of production behind the scenes, which isn't something a lot of people who can translate information about give a shit for. Plus, although I love all manners of history no matter what, learning about anime development is ultimately less enthralling than, say, watching it by going through old series and seeing how it changes yourself, even if you can't articulate it. I'm sure if some academic scholar cared to watch every Gundamn and write about how it's changes reflect the industry as a whole, they'd have plenty of material, information, data/proof, and outside sources to write a really good analysis. It's just that nobody would do that, ever.
>>
Gainax foundation is my favourite story.
>>
>>152776807
The Notenki Memoirs is quite interesting on that subject.
>>
>>152776807
I started watching Blue Blazes yesterday. Historically accurate? Dunno, but it's funny as hell to see Anno and Yamaga et al geeking out over Ultraman.
>>
>>152775228
yes
>>
>>152775228
Anime should be influenced by everything consumed by the creators.

But it's probably impossible to account for Long Tail influences.
>>
>>152781306
Right, but artists are taught and inspired by others, and it's cool to draw up these kinds of "family trees" like Inoue tried to do in the OP image. Accounting for every little thing isn't really the goal.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.