[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /a/ think of Yoshiro Tatsumi?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: 16738391106_02b5c1b3a4_o.jpg (118KB, 397x594px) Image search: [Google]
16738391106_02b5c1b3a4_o.jpg
118KB, 397x594px
What does /a/ think of Yoshiro Tatsumi?
>>
>>151876723
Push Man was pretty underwhelming given its reputation, honestly. I should probably give Drifting Life a shot, though.
>>
>>151876723
Love his ability to create a dark introspective nightmare landscape. Some of his stories are pretty "edgy" and the themes are pretty depressing but can be uplifting in an odd way. A Drifting Life is fascinating. Fallen Words is fun and whimsical. Essential reading for fans of "alt-manga."
>>
Drifting Life is cool
>>
>>151876758
Why do you say that? I thought it was the best out of his three collections, but that's just me squeamish about tackling issues.

I really enjoy his stories. He started a whole revolution, although he was a member of a team of people that are oft forgotten. Gekiga and Garo changed the whole way people saw manga and that's been very profound. It's kind of ridiculous to think that the stuff people got away with in the 60s and 70s they can't even do today.
>>
That the pineapple pen guy, right?
>>
>>151879423
I haven't read any of his other work, and maybe his storytelling style just isn't for me, but Push Man didn't have the degree of engagement that I'd say is necessary for social drama of this kind. It just felt a bit dull and barebones.
>>
>>151879405
Made me envious of being a gekiga artist slumming it up with other awesome mangaka and working through the night

Has anyone read Black Blizzard? I've heard it's only for the most die-hard of Tatsumi readers
>>
>>151879909
I read his stories in reverse order. Goodbye is definitely the most confronting, then Abandon the Old then Pushman which is the most subtle.

>>151880038
For the time period, it's probably one of the best manga I've seen. If you've read Drifting Life you'll discover it's also the first manga with so many diagonal lines.
>>
>>151881305
Thinking about it more, it's much better than any narrative manga I've read from the 50s. The quality of manga rose significantly during that period to the kind of manga we see today. That doesn't mean it's amazing, but it's worth a read anyways.
>>
>>151880038
>Has anyone read Black Blizzard

Yeah, the story is a pretty run of the mill suspense story. You can't really appreciate it nor the art as a modern reader unless you've read a lot of the stuff that was being published in the 50s.
>>
>deliberately injuring yourself to claim dem insurance money
Such is life.
>>
>>151882131
It's amazing how significant the blood market was back in those days in Japan. Hard living. And lots of the people who sold blood seem to have contracted Hep C, and other illnesses.
>>
>>151882078
Oh shit, didn't know you still come here Hox. Not much decent manga discussion to be had here anymore (not that it was ever great)
>>
I scanned the memorial AX issue a while back.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/33viq8wr5jmse/JPG
>>
>>151882527
Are you still scanning Garo and Ax these days?

>>151882472
>not that it was ever great
I strongly disagree with that. It ebbs and flows.
>>
>>151882813

I just scanned like 6 Garo issues this week. Last one is a special Garo issue on Maruo Suehiro. I also am buying Sasaki Maki, Tsurita Kuniko, and Tani Hiroji's loose issues since they have a fair amount of magazine-only chapters. I bought Mitsuhashi Otoya's Garo anthology, and another essay book on Garo.

AX is whenever I feel like it, there's some cool stuff in there though.
>>
Has anyone checkout out Midnight Fishermen? It was done by some Singapore publishers, but in English. Does it repeat stories, or are they all unseen so far?
>>
>>151882884
That's pretty cool, where d'you buy em from?

>>151882813
I don't browse /a/ as much as other boards but the two times I do check in the few manga threads (and they are few) are mostly ongoing shit or 'make someone read this with one page' threads. You don't even see any manga in buyfag threads anymore
>>
>>151883021

Mostly Yahoo and Suruga. I wouldn't mind another person scanning them as well, since I seem to be the only person interested. There are around 500 issues total, and it's not like all of them are worth scanning (the ones that are just serializations).

Not like scan quality matters too much, any issue that's pre-90's is aged to hell.
>>
>>151883227
Are you doing it for any particullar reason or people? In the hopes of scanlation, or archival? And where d'you usually share them?
>>
>>151883347

There are a lot of neat authors beyond Mizuki and Tsuge, but few know about them because the issues aren't scanned. TSOJ did reviews for a dozen or so issues, which was a good starting point to get interested.

pepperanon.blogspot.com/search/label/Garo
deadscanlations.tumblr.com/tagged/garo
>>
>>151883347
The only people I've ever seen care are on here. I would've thought Japanese would be interested in the task, but nothing's ever turned up so far.
>>
dude dog sex lmao
>>
>>151883438
Whoa cool shit son. I've stopped reading comics digitally in favour of print editions (also less time) so I'm fairly out of the loop with scanlations the last few years

D'you have many others helping you out? I'm a professional comic artist myself, would like to help out on cleanup or something if you need it
>>
Is the drag guy in Goodbye the same one in Push Man? Or just the same recurring character but in different stories?
>>
>>151883227
The shipping sounds like murder.
>>
>>151882131
Wasn't there some farm town where everyone started doing this shit? I remember reading about it on Cracked way back when I still thought Cracked was good.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.