[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Chi-Chi intended to be an unlikable character?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

Of course one can also make a case for Bulma but she's at very least acknowledged as a genius while Chi-Chi has nothing once Z starts except maybe her cooking (maybe). I mean, the story never really suggests she's justified to ever be upset at Goku or her fate (even though there's a lot to be upset over and any other woman would handle things way worse). It's taken for granted she's the wife and mother, and the "shrew" wife and mother at that. That's how she's viewed at the lens of the story, how fans remember her, and she still forever be seen as throughout the franchise at large.

Despite the fact she stayed faithful to a man who may or may not love her or his family and left them behind for years on end for whatever reason, and so on... it's not particularly impressive according to the story. She's still the "shrew" so it doesn't matter.

I'm not gonna go over the modern material this time because it's far too obvious...

Do you think Toriyama intended for her to be this character that no one is supposed to like? Is she really that bad? If not, then would fans ever vilify her so mercilessly (to the point where even actual fans start to question her integrity and reasons for being married to Goku) and make others feel bad for genuinely liking her?:

https://img.ifcdn.com/images/210f1b7fa32ef05c56dbedd5d203083aa9436c822d8d32c4efa010684fe0ea5a_1.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/a3/5e/6c/a35e6c7acd578f8582fbb44c72229b2c.jpg
>>
>ifunny.co
Will you people leave when DBS is over?
I can only hope that you will.
>>
>>151834817
yeah but some other battle shounen will replace it

if not another DB will be made
>>
>>151834663
Possibly. Toriyama said that he didn't like her and that this is why he kept her around.
>>
young bulma was at least a smoking hot tsundere genius, and her adult self has a personality beyond GOKUA GUHAN MUST STDUESI!
>>
File: 1482512150364.jpg (347KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1482512150364.jpg
347KB, 900x900px
>>151834663
>ifunny.co
>>
>>151834663
Ignoring the fact that Dragon Ball often switches gears between being overtly serious, and fairly comedic, I think there's just a lack of understanding in scale in regards to Chi-Chi.

She wants to live a nice quiet life in the woods, and raise a smart successful son, as society demands it. She doesn't see though, that while Goku might not be able to do anything beyond basic arithmetic, he's regularly going blow for blow with gods.

You ever notice she's never particularly shown the absolute devastation, and consequences of everything going on around her? At most she'll watch far away on a TV screen. She's a character who's in a bubble, and might well be in outright denial of the absolute cosmic reach her husband and son have on a regular basis.
>>
>>151838030
bulma was never a tsundere you faggot
>>
https://youtu.be/fYQnFJZpppA?t=798 [Embed]

Here's someone's thoughts on chi-chi as a character OP. I found them to be pretty interesting. Starts at 13:20 if the timestamp fails.
>>
File: 1470898670964.png (907KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1470898670964.png
907KB, 1280x720px
>>151834663
Objectively, Chi-Chi acts like any mother would: she wants her son to go to school, get a degree and become a lawyer or a doctor or someone else who's important and contributes to society rather than a laserfarting martial artist who gets killed by aliens. People who complain that she 'ruined' Gohan don't understand that Chi-Chi is a parent first and foremost (and much moreso than Goku ever was).

The problem is that Toriyama is a hack who can write events but not characters, so Chi-Chi is never portrayed in a positive light. There's scantly a scene where she isn't kicking or screaming, and her best moments are filler moments (The "kiss" that only happened in the Funimation dub, her beating the shit out of the tutor who called Gohan dumb in a filler episode etc.).

Keep in mind that this is Toriyama we're talking about here. The same Toriyama who can't even get Bulma's hair color straight because he refuses to doublecheck, the same Toriyama who forgot SSJ2 was a thing, the same Toriyama who decided 17 and 18 have names but never fucking uses them (even after getting married, Krillin still refers to his wife by her serial number). Don't expect quality writing from him.
>>
>>151834663
>Despite the fact she stayed faithful to a man who may or may not love her or his family and left them behind for years on end for whatever reason

Goku loves his family. The guy is just the member of a race that raises their kids differently. Like, it is in his biology. Vegeta is the same way. He leaves to train for months on end, but there's no denying that he loves his family even if he doesn't outwardly show it.

Chichi's problem is that while she wants Gohan and Goten to have better lives and not be as naive as Goku is, she has a habit of taking things far. She doesn't want her kids to do anything besides study when there's no reason that they couldn't both study and train. Not to mention that she's given Goku shit for stuff that's been out of his control.

She got mad at him for having Gohan fight against the saiyans despite the fact that he was dead until midway through the battle and he told Gohan and Krillin to go home while he took care of Vegeta. Gohan going back was his own choice.

Gohan going to namek was his own choice, and once again, Goku told him to stand back while he bodied the Ginyu Force and fought Frieza. Gohan only fought when Goku couldn't.

Goku and his group are constantly in situations where they can use all the help they can get. Gohan just happened to be freakishly strong with his half breed rage boosts and all.

Then you have Super where she's back on it again but this time with Pan, a child that isn't even hers.
>>
File: cheap underage slut.jpg (66KB, 400x898px) Image search: [Google]
cheap underage slut.jpg
66KB, 400x898px
Why the fuck didn't Ox King get his daughter some god damn book learning instead of dressing her like a discount whore from the time she could walk? I often see people make the excuse that Chichi's a cunt because she's a brainless hick who wants her children to be better, but that raises the question of why the fuck her dad didn't try to educate her? He's a goddamn king so it's not like he was too poor to send her to school and/or hire a tutor for her.
>>
>Is Chi-Chi intended to be an unlikable character?
No. It's a combination of Toriyama's shoddy writing and fans being immature.
>>
>>151844609
>Then you have Super where she's back on it again but this time with Pan, a child that isn't even hers

That's actually some impressive character regression on Chi-Chi's part. After Goku died against Celll, she was far less hard on Goten and actually trained him herself, as if she had finally come to understand the stakes involved in what Goku had been doing, not that you can expect Toriyama or Toei to remember that.
>>
>>151844609
>The guy is just the member of a race that raises their kids differently. Like, it is in his biology

Goku is only a saiyan in the biological sense. He was raised on earth by earthlings and has closer ties to earth mannerisms and culture.

My ancestors are from goddamn Vietnam and I can't even speak the language
>>
>>151845381
>fans being immature
Mostly this I say. God forbid a mother wants the best for the child, right?
>>
>>151845256
see >>151845381
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.