[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The majority of anime today is still airing in 720p. With how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: 56744567567.jpg (68KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
56744567567.jpg
68KB, 1200x675px
The majority of anime today is still airing in 720p. With how hard companies are pushing 4k televisions, do you think anime will just skip airing native 1080p shows and go straight to 4k? I think I can count on my hand just how many shows have aired in native 1080p. It makes me wonder why anime hasn't completely ditched airing 720p. I could understand if this was 2008 when the concept of HD anime was new, but it's 2016 and yet here we are with most shows still airing in 720p.
>>
Until anime studios figure out a way how to make anime in 4k resolution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for their cheap late-night budgets of 2,5 million dollars for 12-13 episodes, we're not really going to see any changes for that.
The only anime show that did have 4k was Studio Sunrise's Gundam Thunderbolt, which was a four episodes OVA.

There's going to be a Gundam Thunderbolt TV anime, which will not be 4k, because TV productions are more stressful and requires one to stick to a tight schedule, thus they cannot afford to make it all that good.

tl;dr: no, anime will not go straight to 4k.
>>
>>151005698
>The majority of anime today is still airing in 720p.
Citation needed.

Most shows come out in FHD now. Of course the original resolution before any upscaling can be all over the shop. I think Kill la Kill varied shot-to-shot from 540p to 1080p, for example.

>go straight to 4k
I hope not, as it will probably then have lower bitrate per pixel per frame. I'd much rather have a high bitrate 720p copy than a low bitrate 4k copy with color banding and other artifacts.
>>
>>151005698
>The majority of anime today is still airing in 720p.
Wut.

Then all those "1080" shows are upscale? Why even bother then lol?
>>
>>151005892
>Most shows come out in FHD now
That's upscaled.
>>
>>151005698
Because it's still hand-drawn. But you still can watch native 1080p anime like K-ON! movie or Nyaruko S2. 4k? Ain't happening anytime sooner. Except if you want to embrace 3DCG anime concept.
>>
Netflix originals that are coming will probably be 4k
>>
>>151006013
Speaking of netflix, what fucking magic do they use in their streaming service? Their stream quality looks almost as good as the source. If anime streaming could ever get that good, I might actually stream.
>>
>>151006055
>If anime streaming could ever get that good, I might actually stream.
I take it you don't watch anything from HorribleSubs, then?
>>
>>151005925
This used to be true. Now it's is a myth amongst western fans and encoders. It said in the behind-the-scenes on the Chuunibyou BD that Kyoani started producing shows natively at 1080p with Nichijou. Other studios did so around that time as well.

So I'm pretty sure most shows post-2012-ish are produced in 1080p.
>>
>>151006055
The magic of a proper fucking encoding. Streaming is shit usually because there is a compromise of quality in exchange for loading speed. There is no reason why streaming has to be shit, it just usually is for the sake of the bit rate.
>>
>>151006181
The documentary I saw (can't remember the studio) said that the typical resolution was some figure between 720 and 1080 that was a result of a particular flatbed scanner resolution combined with a certain Japanese paper size.
>>
>>151006055
http://techblog.netflix.com/2015/12/per-title-encode-optimization.html

They're moving to x265 soon too, I think their 4k is already 10bit HVEC.
>>
>>151006241
HEVC even
>>
>>151005698
4k is a meme
>>
>>151006949
>he doesn't wear a 40" tv on his head
>>
>>151005698
>do you think anime will just skip airing native 1080p shows and go straight to 4k

There's no need to for television monitors until the competing methods for immersive virtual viewing arrive at a "winner" that then becomes the new standard to encapsulate that data as part of the entire stream of 4K data to be processed before being viewed. Until then, 4K remains primarily an improved way of _directly_ viewing upscales on larger screens.

That immersive content on 4K probably will come as DRM controlled content available only if you have obtained the time-limited broadcast key. It would be a good way for 4K broadcasters to encourage people to pay more to cover the increased costs of 4K bandwidth. For quite awhile already, streaming video at the various consumer resolutions has been the majority usage of internet bandwidth. Moving up to 4K would increase that bandwidth usage by a staggering unmanageable amount unless more money went into the infrastructure. If not, that 4K stream would be a sham due to overly compressed video.
>>
I download everything in 1080p, but the only thing I've seen that actually looked high-res was the GuP movie, and holy shit did that look beautiful.
In most stuff only the credits text seems to be high-res, the rest looks upscaled.

Is there a list of stuff produced in native 1080p? I can't seem to find any info on this on google.
>>
>>151007840
Here's a chinkchonk nip site that lists the seasonal shows in which resolution they're being shown.

http://anibin.blogspot.ch/
>>
>>151005698
No. 4k is a meme.

The future is with Virtual Reality anime.
>>
File: Sleepthrough.png (244KB, 640x344px) Image search: [Google]
Sleepthrough.png
244KB, 640x344px
>>151008050
I read that there was some VR anime in the making.
Can't find the article on ANN anymore, though.
>>
>>151008050
VR is a meme. The true future is Matrix tubes.
>>
>>151008227
Dogakobo already made one, Brietschlag. That said, atm "3d anime" is more just watching anime on flat screen in virtual cinema. The only means to really make 3d anime is, well, using 3d graphics - 2d animation would be pretty useless there, so its not really a task for existing studios aside from Sanzigen maybe.
>>
>>151006949
4K TV is actually pretty nice. My old 720 died and i found a good deal on a 4K so I bought it. I've only watched a few things at the set's native resolution but even upscaling, it's nice that no matter where you stand in the room you never see pixels, only the image.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.