[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Black L

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

File: L001.jpg (8KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
L001.jpg
8KB, 284x177px
Black L could work. Here's why.

Fuck appearance adaptation. You can adapt appearance and still fail to portray character. Hell, you can adapt quirks and mannerisms as well, but that doesn't give you the bit of the character you find enthralling.

See, making L black is either:
> bold move, on the basis of nailing the character's "substance"
> just some shit SJW "let's include erryone" move

If it's the latter, SDFHKJASDFHF
But if it's the former, it would do a lot.

What's appealing about L is how he's so atypically genius. He's a perfect contrast to Light Yagami- both in appearance and personality.

If they capture the dynamic of L, it would be awesome. Making him black could signal to us that they found a cool new way/ set of mannerisms to portray that "atypical genius" character, and they said "Hell, we could even make the character BLACK and it'd still work- wait what if we did just to drum up controversy in the community? So that they'd HAVE to see this"
>>
tldr
you're probably a nigger
>>
File: L002.jpg (8KB, 203x248px) Image search: [Google]
L002.jpg
8KB, 203x248px
>>150993725
I'm white but like
You know how asians have that super autism, that sort of snarky cunt trolling while still being inhibited
And black people are the opposite; often hilarious in person but overall not that funny in nature
But the two can oddly enough get along well sometimes
Like this weird ying and yang thing

Like I'm just some idiot redhead but I've been so ostracized by normie culture and so incompatible with anything that blacks or asians seem to be the only people who know that feel and immediately get that I'm not just another "white person" but this more ascended autismo existing outside these boundaries

That's what I think black L could be like. Someone so autistic that when you think about them, thug niggers don't even cross your mind.
>>
Thing is, it's an adaptation. It's obviously not going to follow the manga completely, and the change to a Western setting shows that it's trying a different audience.
>>
I tried reading all of this but I don't care, all I could think was Richard Ayoade would make a cute "Black L".

Either way, I haven't given a shit about Death Note for ten years.
>>
I see the problem now, you think they put thought and work into this decision.
I'm sorry but it's just pandering. Nothing innovating will come out of it.
>>
AYO HOL UP
>>
>>150994058
The fact that they change the setting to a western one makes it more like a retelling than an adaption.

And yes I'm pretty sure that the black L will have completely different quirks than the original if any.
>>
>>150994080
Oh wait, the guy who they picked to play L just perked my interest ten-fold. He was in a show called Atlanta and his character was, like... L if he sold weed and lived in the hood. I'm looking forward to this crock of shit now, awesome.

I'll eat that pandering up, hell fucking yeah.
>>
L's appearance is kind of an important plot point. Turning him in to a black dude is basically admitting they don't give a shit about the plot.

It's going to be garbage.
>>
They're doing it on purpose. MC is the villain and he's called Light, so it's just natural that the hero would be linked with darkness.
>>
WE WUZ GENIUSZ AN SHIT
>>
>>150994283
Light's name is literally changed to fucking Turner, Officer Yagami is now called James Turner. C'mon buddy, making L black falls in line with either else don't even try.
>>
>>150994266
I watch Atlanta. So that's the guy playing L? Shit that works just fine.
>>
File: L009.jpg (47KB, 467x350px) Image search: [Google]
L009.jpg
47KB, 467x350px
>>150994252
>And yes I'm pretty sure that the black L will have completely different quirks than the original if any.
The worst possible things:
> He's just your standard "good education, smart black guy" normie with high intelligence
> He's your standard computer hacker maymay- just black with glasses
> He's "ayo hol up, ahaaha"
> has glasses

Good possibilities:
> Nervous wreck but breaks out in smiles during moments of excitement/ revelation, and goes from reclusive to talkative (basically autistic)
> Some other characteristic distracts from his being black (ie, attire or hair that is more odd than his being black)
> Actually insane/ psychotic, but not in the giga nigga way where they're pointing guns sideways
>>
>>150994402
Yeah! He played Darius (Paperboi's buddy). Spot on casting as far as I'm concerned, I think he can pull it off just fine.
>>
>>150993452
>Black L
>work

Black people don't work, silly.
>>
It's an american """""adaptation""""" it's not going to be good no matter who plays L
>>
File: michael-c-hall-dexter-showtime.jpg (251KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
michael-c-hall-dexter-showtime.jpg
251KB, 900x506px
Is dexter what light wishes he was?
>>
Why is someone shilling live action bullshit on this board?
None of us are going to legally watch this shit show lad
>>
>>150994266
I see what you mean
That sort of sullen, sunken in, detached element
Mild curiosity
Do you know any scenes that we could watch?
>>
>>150994430
Mmm, there's no winning that battle, people are going to be bugged and bothered regardless of how he's characterized.
>>
>>150994549
Yeah I'm curious too now, I tried to look for some scenes with him on youtube but I didn't get much.
>>
>>150993452
The problem is they gave him some dumb BLM rally where L appears in person.
Unless this is the criminal Light kills when L tricks him and the real L is Samuel L. Jackson it's shit.
>>
>>150994549
Aw shucks, no one has really posted any of his scenes on YouTube, but he was honestly a breakout character in a really fun show (it's a great show quite honestly, the cast is fun, and it has a lot of surreal aspects to it that make it super entertaining).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzYxvvkH39I

Episode 4 is the episode he's in the most, "The Streisand Effect". He's very much "no one understands what the FUCK he's thinking, but he's pretty intelligent albeit weird"
>>
>>150994575
He barely classified as a race in the manga. He was closer to being "alien"
I hope they keep THAT theme.
It's easy to do with a white goblin creep. But I've seen black people that are just fucking "not black" if you know what I mean. You either think thug nigga, DBZ smash bros playing black, kenyan black, disneyland smiley black, or rich + glasses "basically white kid" black.
But there are black people who are out of the norm. Not just eccentric, but they have style/ mannerisms that basically make you think something else before you notice skin colour.

Like I'm sure you don't look at Morgan Freeman and think "Black thug nigga ayo hol up"
>>
>>150994430
Ideally I'd want them to keep at least the fact that he sits like slav on chairs and couches with his bare feet and that he constantly indulges in sweets while talking about serious matters.

But they probably won't.
>>
>>150993452
>>150993966
You type like such an autistic fucking faggot. Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1451264652273.jpg (4KB, 187x249px) Image search: [Google]
1451264652273.jpg
4KB, 187x249px
>>150994822
But see how those things are characteristics of someone breaking the social mould around them. Like they're so sort of "fetal"- almost alien-like. Like they've been kept from society their whole lives and have some weird problem with their brain.

This can come out in other mannerisms. Like being mute, constantly opening/ closing hands whenever they're seeing something interesting, owl eyes (constantly fixed on things in the distance, even at close proximity to subjects), leaning in/ out based on whether they're listening or talking- these are shit examples but it's possible to find something that is somehow "L-like" without being anything L actually does, if that makes sense.

What would slaughter all potential for his character is if he was a rich normie.
>>
>>150994777
Heh, I'd dig seeing some racial essays on manga L being closer to an "alien" and casting him as black guy but whew, not having that conversation in this cesspool.

>It's easy to do with a white goblin creep.
Haaa, true. True!

> You either think thug nigga, DBZ smash bros playing black, kenyan black, disneyland smiley black, or rich + glasses "basically white kid" black.

Especially in media, there's only five types of black people as far as cinema is concerned, so this film has a challenge on defying those stereotypes or making them work somehow... without pandering. It's tough. Hopefully they'll get creative.
>>
>>150993452
AYO

WHAT IF

WHAT IF

L IS MAH HOMIE LIND TAYLAH
>>
File: L007.png (158KB, 459x278px) Image search: [Google]
L007.png
158KB, 459x278px
>>150994970
>Especially in media, there's only five types of black people as far as cinema is concerned, so this film has a challenge on defying those stereotypes or making them work somehow... without pandering. It's tough. Hopefully they'll get creative.

That's exactly my hope. It's possible for them to break the mould, so to say.
Also speaking of the BLM shit- making this series parallel with real world issues might be interesting.
See L and Ryuk both sort of have that detached thing. They feel no moral obligation to stick to their kind- like L willy nilly suspecting Kira to be among Japanese police, and easily being able to go "yeah i'll just stop affiliating and do my own investigation"

Imagine if black L is questioned whether or not he's doing it for the BLM movement (imagine killings get involved in it) and he goes "haven't really thought of that"

Just to get that sort of detached spin- showing the world "You can have interesting black people not make a deal about being black"- which would basically light a fire under the media's asses where every female/ black character is meant to be a statement rather than happenstance. (Reality being more in line with the latter)
>>
The only actor whose going to be good will be William Defoe as Ryuk
>>
File: L010.jpg (15KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
L010.jpg
15KB, 600x337px
>>150994737
Any links to that episode on youtub
>>
>>150995220
>William Defoe
>William
>Defoe
triggered
>>
>>150995423
Nope, but just google "Atlanta s1e4" or something to that effect, it should be easy to stream online.

>>150995118
Yeah, distancing himself from his identity and ultimately his personhood while, y'know, everyone else obviously not doing that could be played around with in a few interesting ways. Especially since identity (or what's associated w/ it) is so important to a lot of black people because it's kind of something that's shoved in their faces on the regular. Having a character that's disassociated with that but not necessarily because of some internalized bullshit could be interesting.

Not getting my hopes up for an intriguing character arc though, it's a film that'll be two hours tops.
>>
File: L010.png (1MB, 600x450px)
L010.png
1MB, 600x450px
Interview with him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nmc0PXzO24
(Not about Death Note, but about his acting)
Seems like this series might cement a new character for him if they're thinking of giving him more "INTP" characteristics for it
>>
>>150993452
L is british in the manga, and british people to the japs are like blacks to americans, right? It's the proper adaptation.
>>
Just change the name if you want to adapt something for a western market, like the Departed did. Fans of the series won't come in expecting a faithful adaptation, and other people won't be turned off by the anime stench. Win-win.
>>
>>150995968
He is British of nationality but the fact he poses as a student by the name of Ryuuzaki while nobody sees anything strange with that makes me think he's asian.
>>
>>150996137
He is supposed to be half asian, half british, half russian and half french or italian.
>>
>>150995118
so wait Kira will only kill blacks? It makes so much sense now. He can use cops with his death note and it's like no problem at all!
>>
>>150994849
maybe he's black L and is just testing his new persona it's obviously working
>>
>>150996450
>so wait Kira will only kill blacks
That makes too much sense. Light Turner's girlfriend was blacked, and now he kills every black in the states with a magical notebook. He uses cop violance and his nemesis is a genius black crimefighter. The movie ends with a #BlackLivesMatter protest where they reveal Turner and the masses kill him.
>>
>black guy always dies
>>
>>150993452
Honestly I'm going to give it a chance because it is Darius from ATLANTA.
>>
>>150993452
WE WUZ GENIUS INVESTIGATORS 'NN SHEEITT
>>
>>150994849
This is it. People who use faggot as an insult are retarded. You made it. I won't ever use faggot as an insult anymore thanks to you.
>>
>>150999245
kill yourself along with the other retard
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.