[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MIYAZAKI TRIGGERED BY 3D ANIMATION DESIGNED TO PUT HIM OUT OF BUSINESS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 529
Thread images: 52

File: disgust.png (721KB, 697x450px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.png
721KB, 697x450px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfxlgHBaxEU 2D animators btfo?
>>
>>150773662
We have this same thread yesterday.
>>
btfo by that garbage? hopefully not. it's worse than the berserk anime this year.
>>
>>150773699
Link?
>>
>>150773699
Its new to me you nerd
>>
Holy shit Miyazaki schooling those immature brats about life, glorious.
>>
>>150773662
>literally "this triggered me"
What a fucking joke.
>>
File: 139853343463.png (373KB, 400x504px) Image search: [Google]
139853343463.png
373KB, 400x504px
>>150773999
>>150773888
Shit trips.

He's just a bitter old man.
>>
>>150774118
Meme harder.
>>
>that zoom to Miyazaki's eye
Cheesy likes his movies.
>>
I think he's more upset by the fact he realized Japan can't do 3D animation.
>>
Didn't Miyazaki make a comparison to the iPad and masturbation?
>>
>>150774118
>He's just a bitter old man.

They are literally trying to replace artists with machines. He has every right to be upset. They didn't even think about their tech demon could appear they just slapped it up their and said look, we can replace you with a AI.
>>
>>150774238
Well I do view doujins on my tablet, so he's not entirely wrong.
>>
>>150773662

I thought Miyazaki was going to have a good point about why 3d animation is shit.

Instead all I got was

>wahhh this reminds me of my crippled friend thus its bad.

What a pussy. He should have attacked WHY 3D animation is shit instead of talking about his friend.
>>
>>150774328
Congrats you are retarded.
>>
File: damn 14 year olds.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
damn 14 year olds.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>150774176

He really is. I mean I fucking hate 3D animation and I hope it never catches on in Japan. It looks like shit. But fuck Miyazaki for sperging out on those guys. They are experimenting and trying to "create" something that pretentious oldfaggot is constantly bitching about. How nowadays everyone is a consumer and not a creator. Well Mr. Miyazaki you got 3 guys infront of you that are trying to revolutionize animation. He's being a hypocritical artfag. Only reason anyone takes his opinion seriously is because of how overrated his studio is.

The guy has been ranting about technology for years. He's literally an angry old man yelling at the sky. Best thing for him is to retire into obscurity.
>>
>>150774286
>They are literally trying to replace artists with machines.
We've been replacing people with machines for 200 years.
Welcome to the future grandpa.
>>
File: mpv-shot0033.png (775KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0033.png
775KB, 960x720px
>>150773662
3D is disgusting though.
Cel animation was the golden era of anime.
>>
>>150774286
>we can replace you with a AI
It's sad that those lazy fucks honestly think this. They must have absolutely no creative imagination whatsoever. What are they hoping to get animated by a machine eventually, literally just people walking down a hallway and other extremely repetitive animation? I sincerely doubt an AI will ever get more sophisticated than that.
>>
>>150773662
Why is he so grumpy?
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (1MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
1MB, 5000x5000px
>people want another repeat of last thread's autismo

http://desuarchive.org/a/thread/150754341/
>>
>>150774352

wtf I hate 3d animation now
>>
>>150774373
Art is a reflection of the human condition, its not something that we should replace machines. Its the same as having a robot write a song. Sure we can do it but why?

The machine is not trying to communicate with us like an artist does. There is no conversation. We lose something of ourselves in the process when we give up that which makes us human. .
>>
>>150773662
We had this thread a dozen of times already, fuck off.
>>
>artfags literally using the "t-theres no way a machine can replace a human soul!" argument
You fucks are so ignorant is hilarious.
>>
>>150774409
You could probably get a Markov chain to write a halfway decent isekai story.
>>
File: Saiba confused eating.gif (1MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Saiba confused eating.gif
1MB, 500x500px
>>150774409

Nice borderline retarded comment there Miyazaki dick rider.

However unappealing 3D animation is, those three are trying to create something quite sophisticated. Calling them 'lazy fucks' shows your lack of understand of what an undertaking it would be to create an A.I. that can animate as good as a person without any direction. If they did this it could potentially change 3D animation for the better. Of course, it's a pipe dream in our current age but it's better than being a pretentious old artist and putting people down for trying something new.
>>
File: baw.jpg (26KB, 350x149px) Image search: [Google]
baw.jpg
26KB, 350x149px
Miyazaki reminds me of this page of Gantz.
>>
>>150773662
>http://desuarchive.org/a/thread/150754341/
>making the same thread again

Come on m8
>>
>>150774328
There has never been a good point as to why 3D is inherently bad, trust me. I know some people bitch when it's overly done in 2D, but that's just because it wasn't incorporated well enough. All "arguments" against 3D are just muh feels and not muh 2D. The process of creating 3D well enough, like they do with Pixar, goes through the same process as 2D, perhaps a whole lot more, so the argument that it's not good enough just isn't valid.
>>
>a machine can replace the thought and soul of an animator getting paid 3 bucks per hour working 17 hours a day
>>
>>150774559
>Calling them 'lazy fucks' shows your lack of understand of what an undertaking it would be to create an A.I. that can animate as good as a person without any direction
To me they are lazy because they obviously aren't creative. Rather than do what it takes to become more creative, they would rather write a program like dull codemonkeys so they can tell the most primitive creativity-lacking stories possible.
>>
>>150774524
That machine is made by human programmers, mongoloid. It just doesn't randomly spawn.
>>
>>150774534
It's like when carfags are presented with a modern grocery getter that's faster than some decades old death trap and go all "it's got no soul and character "
>>
>>150774688
>Engineering a full IA isn't a creative process
>only art is a creative endeavor
You're a fucking retard.
Check the definition of "engineering" and kill yourself afterwards.
>>
>>150774524
This is just pure sophistry.
>>
>>150774701
They were demonstrating an AI that learned to walk on its own. The whole purpose of their display was to show how they could develop a program to do something.

Its the same with Googles AI they developed to write songs that emulate classic composers. Sure it may sound like them but their is nothing to it. The computer is not trying to convey any meaning like the original artist.

The work is hollow
>>
>>150774632

I can't necessarily agree with you because I haven't seen a good example of 3D even from Disney/Pixar. I just think it looks ugly.

The reason I got into anime is because I thought the style of 80s/90s anime looked cool and thought it was cool in motion.

Traditional animation is just more colorful, vibrant, full of imperfections but that is part of the appeal.

I think the only way to get me to like 3D animation is if they can blend it so seamlessly into 2D work that I don't even notice it.
>>
>>150774688
Foune the humanities major.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4-6YI04IiE
It's not like Miyazaki hates all technology, he uses it for his movies sometimes. For exemple computer program was used in some scenes of Princess Mononoke with the demon god's worms. He just prefer to go by hand animation as much as he can.
It's hard to tell with only the short clip but their presentation didn't seem very well thought out.
>>
>>150773662
seems all he does is whine lately. His last movie about planes was kind of bad too
>>
>>150773662
AHAHAH what a close minded asshole.

It sadly is true. You've got to wait for a generation to blow up before things can really move forward.
>>
>>150773662
absolutely no mercy
>>
>>150774736
In this particular context it is barely creative. How can you argue that it is? They clearly want to just automate certain people's jobs and they observe good animation as being something repetitive and easy to replicate with a machine, which is just not the case for anything above the most primitive works out there.

If you're defending those idiots you're advocating for lower quality standards in Japanese animation. Prepare to see more horrendous blunders like Berserk 2016.
>>
>>150774688
"Dull code monkeys" write CRUD corporate shit, web apps and other mundane stuff. Engineers and actual programmers solve complex problems in creative, efficient ways.
>>
>>150773662
He sounds like a washed up old man who can't keep up with time.
>>
>>150774943
>In this particular context it is barely creative. How can you argue that it is?
You think an IA is something that you just brainlessly make by copying code from stack overflow or something?
You don't know what the fuck you're talking about, advanced and sophisticated IAs would prevent a blunder like Berserk 2016 while delivering animation at a nice quality and efficiently, so the humans can actually waste their time on actual creative stuff like planning the storyboard and direction.
>>
File: 297.png.jpg (39KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
297.png.jpg
39KB, 680x383px
>>
>>150774524
>Sure we can do it but why?

Why not? If the robot surpasses humans, then humans should learn from it. If the robot is worse than humans, then why should they feel threatened by it?

Can't stand a little competition?
>>
>>150775105
A sufficiently advanced AI could generate the stories and stories as well, so why do we need humans to write them? Taken to the extreme why do we even need humans to read them?

A human knows what suffering is so naturally they should be the ones who attempt to capture suffering in art. Art is a dialogue between the creator and the viewer. If you replace one with AI then it becomes a pointless endeavor. You are no longer producing art, you are producing a commodity.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V59VXRN1YnU

Why is he so moe? (And what's the deal with the goats?)
>>
File: disgusting.png (842KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.png
842KB, 1280x720px
Is this post-post-modern art?
>>
>>150773662
Miyazaki is disgusting. He just has to be THAT guy.
>>
>>150774943

I'm not defending their project. That shit looked like babies first step into Maya. Those kids looked like College Freshmen.

What I'm defending is their dream. Miyazaki didn't give out any constructive criticism for their project. All he did was get triggered and draw up a strawman argument about his crippled friend and how this somehow correlates to their project and trivializing crippled people.

I'm sure at one point in his life Miyazaki was seen as a maveric with radical ideas towards animation. Now he's the guy that puts down those kids with crazy ideas. Nobody is saying that it be great if animators are completely replaced by machines but it would be fascinating to see someone create an A.I. that is as sophisticated as a human being in terms of animation.

It's also worth noting that just because it's an A.I. doing the work doesn't mean the animation will look like Berserk 2016. An A.I. with a sophisticated drawing & animation algorithm could potentially replicate hours of human labor of hand drawn slides. It could be used to assist a human animator. Not replace them.
>>
>>150775369
>Deep/learning
>>
>>150775393
>THAT guy
/a/?
>>
File: western miyazaki.jpg (30KB, 650x320px) Image search: [Google]
western miyazaki.jpg
30KB, 650x320px
>WAAAAAAAAAAAH PROGRESS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
File: Ian Malcolm.jpg (101KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ian Malcolm.jpg
101KB, 1920x1080px
It's literally this scene, and he's right.
>>
>>150775105
>so the humans can actually waste their time on actual creative stuff
>waste their time
You aren't fooling anyone, codemonkey. We know you're just looking to automate and replace other peoples' jobs rather than provide more complex and better toolsets for artists.

If art is an expression and creating machines that can draw is an expression in itself, it is the expression of an age that lacks integrity and depends on automated systems to do things for them.

Another thing that is being underminded here is the impressiveness of an artist that goes above and beyond for his work. Seeing something that looks amazing and like it took an entire person's life to master their craft and be able to execute is impressive and is part of the experience of art. A very complex program is impressive too, but intellectually so. It's cool to see but it doesn't have the same effect, and the works created by it will not carry that same effect. We lose that part of the experience of art from machines. And that is a huge part of the experience, the biggest defining influence of the culture that surrounds art and continues to push it even higher. Eliminate that and you will see a drop in quality, not an improvement.
>>
>>150775417
>It could be used to assist a human animator. Not replace them.

He has used electronic tools in his animation before. He has no problem with tools assisting animators. What he does not want to see is animators replaced with AI.
>>
>>150775361
I don't see how commodities are pointless.
>>
>>150774524
Sorry bro. I know you think humans are some kind of special snowflake in the universe, but we're not.
>>
Lmao GOAT video. The look on their faces to try and come up with a response. That ending was savage.

Part 1: Anime was a mistake.

Part 2: AI CG was a mistake.

Will there be a trilogy? Find out on the next action packed episode of Hayao Miyazaki Z!
>>
>>150774409

Its for a video game you moron. AI based animation is incredible and holds so much potential in an interactive medium. They were idiots to show it to Miyazaki who cant even entertain the idea of it.
>>
>>150775361
>A sufficiently advanced AI could generate the stories and stories as well, so why do we need humans to write them?
We don't need them, people will still write stories when they have something to tell, it won't ever stop, the ones that will be fucked will be the hacks that just write garbage to cash in, absolutely nothing of value will be lost.

Nice how you skipped over the point by the way, autistically drawing 200000 frames that are barely different from each other is not a creative endeavor, and I'm assuming in the future those will be the first jobs in the industry to be replaced when we get software that can do it with an optimal output quality

You're relating 3D animation to the shit you've seen until now because you're n ignorant fuck that doesn't realize that 3D animation nowadays is shit precisely because the algorithms are mediocre.
>>
>>150773662
I think one can vehemently disagree with Miyazaki's personal views while still respecting the work that he's made. Too many times in this fandom anime fans have this polarized view of Miyazaki where you have to have this unflinching adoration of him and it's a blasphemy to say anything negative about him. On the other hand, you have fans who despise Miyazaki the man so much that they can't even bring themselves to say one positive thing about his movies and they'll completely write off all of his filmography because of their ideological differences with him. I think either outright hatred or outright idolization of Miyazaki isn't healthy for anime fandom and we need to take a more nuanced view of Miyazaki's legacy. Having said that, given how well known Miyazaki's hatred of CGI is, I'm not sure why anyone would show him this barely finished project to try and change his mind on CGI. They should have at least showed him a finished product for him to be able to fairly judge it. On the other hand, I think Miyazaki is being entirely unreasonable in completely writing off any project like this based on this very short barely started work. I'm also not sure why Miyazaki brought up the point about his disabled friend but it was entirely awkward and frankly rather offensive of him to try and use the troubles disabled people go through to insult somebody' else's work. And you can just tell how much everyone in this room is now despising Miyazaki after his reaction to them.
>>
>>150774286
Oh how awful
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printing_press

Miyazaki's like those hippie aliens from Star Trek: Insurrection that said "we believe when you make a machine to do the work of a man, you take something away from that man". He's well documented as a technophobe
>>
>>150775545
They are not pointless, but they are not art. Humans create art. Its one of the ways we communicate with each other. It helps bridge the gap that every human faces when trying to understand the mind of another.

What is a machine trying to communicate to you when it creates a story, or draws a picture?
>>
>>150774524
How do you define machine? How much automation involved so a work could not be called art? Are you saying cinema is not the 7th art? You're so wrong I don't know where to begin. Bash the idiots who use such bad quality engine, not the effort to create one.
The argument sounds exactly like analog vs digital cameras.
>>
>>150774360
>"We made an AI drag around a ragdoll"
>"This is fucking garbage"
>"Someday this will replace you Miyazaki."
>>
>>150775519
>If art is an expression and creating machines that can draw is an expression in itself, it is the expression of an age that lacks integrity and depends on automated systems to do things for them.
>m-muh feelings
>Another thing that is being underminded here is the impressiveness of an artist that goes above and beyond for his work.
>m-muh technique

How to spot an art major: the post
>>
In an interview in the July issue of “Neppuu”, the Studio Ghibli published pamphlet, the famed animator does not pull any punches when discussing the iPad, or what he calls the “game machine-like thing” that people are “stroking with strange gestures”.

“For me, there is no feeling of admiration or no excitement whatsoever,” Miyazaki said about the iPad. “It’s disgusting. On trains, the number of those people doing that strange masturbation-like gesture is multiplying.”
>>
File: 1452892356006.jpg (72KB, 500x451px) Image search: [Google]
1452892356006.jpg
72KB, 500x451px
> *TRIGGERED*

He should just shut the fuck up already. He even proved himself wrong in the video by talking about his friend. A Zombie would have rigor mortis and his muscles wouldn't work, just like his friend's which proves the technology works well.
>>
>>150775514
If you love nature so much why don't you go back to the jungle you stupid ape?
Fucking hypocrites, they're okay with having internet and smartphones yet they have the gull to diss technology and advancement. Fucking subhumans I swear.
>>
>>150775770
>"We made an AI drag around a ragdoll"
>"This is fucking garbage"
>"Someday this will replace you Miyazaki."
>>
>>150775417
>Miyazaki was seen as a maveric with radical ideas towards animation
At what point of his career do you suppose this happened?

Don't throw baseless shit out there.
>>
>>150775477
>Yeah, just autimate everything involved in the artistic process
>All anime will be CGshit, and if it's "2D" it'll look like western cartoons made in flash
>Nothing to worry about, it's just progress!
>>
>>150774524
>Art is a reflection of the human condition

What does modern art say about those who make it?

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/full-comment/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/john-robson-modern-art-is-garbage-and-it-stinks
>>
>>150774286
talentless hack spotted.
>>
>>150775832
>"We made an AI learn how to drag around like a ragdoll by itself"
>"This reminds me of my crippled friend so it's horrible"
>>
>>150774524

>machines cant reflect the human condition

Surely you realize that art is physically impossible without technology. Can't make music without instruments, paintings without brushes, etc. Just because humans are one more degree removed doesn't make it any different.
>>
>>150773662
he is so mad
>>
>>150774524
>Sure we can do it but why?

Because why not? Why do people create art to begin with?

Because we want to.
>>
>>150775615
The man himself has used computers in the past to assist in production, the video was posted earlier in this threat. The whole purpose of this AI is not to assist animators its to eventually replace them.
>>
>>150775672
>He's well documented as a technophobe
Only when they don't have wings.
>>
>>150775714
What does cinema have to do with this?
>>
>>150775741
I was an IT major with a concentration in web development and a minor in digital humanities (interface study courses).

>m-muh feelings
>m-muh technique
Do you know what we are discussing here? Art is about emotion and technique you colossal retard. If you're going to mock that, you don't belong anywhere's near art.
>>
>>150775369
your grandpa didn't die in guadalcanal for this.
>>
File: art school not even once.png (4MB, 1752x6796px) Image search: [Google]
art school not even once.png
4MB, 1752x6796px
>>150775741

Inferiority complex is the soul of an artist. It's not that surprising that they would get triggered by the concept of an A.I. doing their work better than them.

Modern Art needs a serious overhaul. It's been nothing but 'muh feefees' since the cancerous Picasso movement. Classical art needs to make a comeback. There's a reason why nobody takes art students seriously anymore.
>>
>>150775687
>but they are not art
And?
>>
>>150775953
Art has jack to do with technique.
>>
>>150775843

I was being facetious you fucking tard. Trying to make a point that Miyazaki was young once too, at least I hope.
>>
>>150773662
Doubt he hates CG

he has used it in his movies

he's friends with the guy who founded pixar

his next film is cgi

hell the only reason why he hates the video in qustion is for some reason it reminds him of a disabled friend
>>
>>150775938
>The whole purpose of this AI is not to assist animators its to eventually replace them.
If this AI becomes capable of delivering animation at a better quality than animators then it'll eventually happen and no one will complain.
The only reason people is against it is out of the absurd notion that human animation has some quality intrinsically related to the human condition that makes it unimitable by a machine, just because we haven't seen a machine capable of doing so yet.
>>
>>150775990
>There's a reason why nobody takes art students seriously anymore.
>people say this while watching game of thrones, listen to music, and read comics/manga
>>
>>150775901
Jesus Christ, are people really this fucking stupid? Are you the same idiots who think that CG modeling is "just another tool" for animators to use, despite being a completely different skillset and thus not allowing talented animators to actually draw things, but rather call for some riggers to make shitty models dance?

Do you really not see how some things are automated and the person doing them doesn't matter, but others require human input for the sake of creativity and passion? I'm a biomedical researcher, and the thought of a bunch of idiots on the internet pretending "Science and automation are the ultimate progress!" and that the human element can be removed from all creation make me sick to my stomach.
>>
>>150776127
>he has used it in his movies
Rarely. And reluctantly. He hates CG.
>>
>>150773662
Maybe if they've used better example, his views in AI might've been a bit better.

Seriously, what were thinking?
>>
>>150776142
>every piece of art ever was made by an art student
Someone with a skill and something to say makes art.
Someone without skill and without something to say but with the desire to feel superior studies art.
>>
>>150776167

So is music haram because singers can't transfer their skills to instruments? Fuck off.
>>
>>150775990
>It's been nothing but 'muh feefees' since the cancerous Picasso movement. Classical art needs to make a comeback.

Art is about standing out from the crowd and there is no way better to stand out than to go against everything that is considered "Art" at the time.

Art will unavoidably go back to its roots.
>>
>>150776167
Jesus Christ, are people really this fucking stupid? Are you the same idiots who think that printing is "just another tool" for writers to use, despite being a completely different skillset and thus not allowing talented writers to actually write words, but rather call for some German publishers to make shitty lead blocks dance?

Do you really not see how some things are automated and the person doing them doesn't matter, but others require human input for the sake of creativity and passion? I'm a leech doctor, and the thought of a bunch of idiots on the internet pretending "Science and automation are the ultimate progress!" and that the human element can be removed from all creation make me sick to my stomach.
>>
>>150776167
>I'm a biomedical researcher
No you're not
>>
>>150776127
>>150776168
He doesn't hate CG, he hates to see traditional animation die out.
>>
>>150776130
>The only reason people is against it is out of the absurd notion that human animation has some quality intrinsically related to the human condition that makes it unimitable by a machine

One of the primary purposes of art is the artist trying to communicate something to the viewer. A machine could create an identical work but their is no communication with another human.

Half of what makes art great is the discussion that revolves around it. With a machine doing all the work there is no intent, nothing to discuss, beyond that the AI was programmed to generate something
>>
File: 1473444085278.jpg (269KB, 1100x941px) Image search: [Google]
1473444085278.jpg
269KB, 1100x941px
>>150776142
>anymore
>>
>>150776011
You can't be fucking serious, dude. You don't know a god damn thing about art then.

To be clear, I do think that the end creation is what is most important. But an appreciation of the artist's methods and tools has always been a part of the appreciation of art. This is why people still like hand-crafted sculpture, physical pieces of art, architecture, works that took a human hundreds of hours to finish or hundreds of humans to finish, woodblock prints, etc. This is why there is the endless argument of authenticity in the art world among artists and art critics.
>>
>>150776064
You were trying to imply that he was acting hypocritical for putting down young animators with new technology, as though he at some point was vindicated after being panned for trying something new, which is wrong.

His career has been traditional as fuck, always using the methods of the times and what came before.
>>
>>150776168

OK what about the other two points

If he hated CG with all his soul why would he be friends with the guy who founded pixar

and why is his next film going to be CG instead of hand drawn
>>
>>150773662

This translation is wrong. Are you people retarded? And you call yourselves weebs. Learn some Japanese.
>>
>>150776282
>>I'm a biomedical researcher

>>150776271
>I'm a leech doctor

what happened here
>>
File: Etotama (4).webm (3MB, 888x500px) Image search: [Google]
Etotama (4).webm
3MB, 888x500px
>people saying 3d anime is inherently shit

It's just that 99% of the time it's lazily done. It's possible to do well.

I've never actually watched webm related, but to me at least this looks well done, at least for the characters (watch the whole webm. The fact that they are 3d models doesn't stick out like a sore thumb because the filters and shaders flattens them out enough to blend them into the background, and the animation itself is nice and fluid instead of being choppy and stiff as balls as most 2d in anime is. In fact, what they are doing here would be outright infeasible with 2d animation.

Another good example, that I have seen for myself, is what cyberconnect 2 does. They make video games, not anime, but what they excel at is absurdly well animated cutscenes and attack animations, which is something that they could obviously just make an anime with.

Here's a 3d anime short they did for some animation festival: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-PudD1UrvU

A better example would be Asura's Wrath, which was a video game they did back in 2012 which was essentially just a interactive anime. The missions were called episodes, they had mid episode commercial bumpers, at the end, they had a "next time on" preview, and it was as much cutscenes and QTE's as it was gameplay. Despite it being absolutely medicore as a game, it was amazingly fun to watch just due to the absurdity of the animations and scale of what was going on. Even though it was still clearly 3d and would stick out as such purely as an anime, unlike the short above I think it would still be a good watch. They also do the Naruto games, which do have a flattened cel shaded look to them, which would work well as a 3d anime in style.

>>150774813
Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlRU_J5qYg0 ,k it's a companion short to the CC2 one. It's 3d, but most of the time you can barely tell it, and if you paused it, you wouldn't know it at all. It's not that amazingly animated, though.
>>
>>150776409
That looks like garbage. At least use Kingslaive or that FF7 movie as your examples.
>>
File: Etotama (1).webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Etotama (1).webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>150776409
another webms of that anime
>>
>>150776360
>If he hated CG with all his soul why would he be friends with the guy who founded pixar

That guy singlehandedly brought his movies to the US. He's the reason Miyazaki won an oscar.
>>
>>150776271
The way you look at things is retarded. It's not about removing the human element, it's about freeing humans from doing certain things, they can still do them. It's a form of abstraction. People will get to concentrate their time on doing more interesting things.
AI and space exploration are the ultimate tests of our species, even a retard like you must understand that.
>>
>>150776409
It looks fucking atrocious, anon.
>>
>>150776311
>One of the primary purposes of art is the artist trying to communicate something to the viewer.
Not true at all, since the 20th century there have been artistical movements like aleatoricism going against that belief, that's just what you care about, most people just care about the end result.

>Half of what makes art great is the discussion that revolves around it.
Instead of figuring out what the artist that made it wanted to say people will try to figure out what the guy that programmed the machine tried to say.
Not even an argument.

>You can't be fucking serious, dude. You don't know a god damn thing about art then.
Utterly ignorant, for centuries the importance of technique and skill has been slowly waning from art, precisely thanks to technology.
When you have machines that are capable of doing what you do, you can't count on impressing people with something as pointless as technique anymore, so you have to look into other ways, plenty of artistic movements on different mediums on the 20th century came from that (perhaps most notably in painting, thanks to photography).
People will be impressed at someone moving their hands fast on a piano, but ultimately won't care if they don't like how it sounds, the same with everything else, technique is ultimately irrelevant as long as it's good enough.
>>
>>150776347

What are you his fucking biographer? I well aware that he is a traditionalist. I also know that he hasn't been making his movies in the same exact way that he's been making them since his first one. He's a hypocrite who uses CG in his movies while ranting about how it's going to drive animators out of business. He's only a traditionalist when it suits him.
>>
File: asura gut punch.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
asura gut punch.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>150776472
And some Asura's Wrath stuff

>>150776469
>>150776523
Niether of those are "anime" though, that's just a CGI film, like pixar movies.

Anyways, did you actually watch the entire webm? I have a hard time believing that you honestly think it looks bad. The shading on the models makes them not stick out super terribly in most shots, and the animation itself is very fluid.

The only parts of that that look bad to me is near the start where the crystal shatters, the shot from overhead when they are on the iron beam or whateer, and then towards the end looking at them from the side after the catgirl crashed.

Every other scene/shot looks great.
>>
>>150776409
Wait, that webm is supposed be an example of a well done 3d anime scene? It looks like fucking ass.
>>
>>150776167
Enjoy NEETdom
>>
File: asura jet punch.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
asura jet punch.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>150776645
Second asura's wrath webm

>>150776655
What about it looks like ass then? See what I wrote in >>150776645
>>
>>150776655

Japan honestly has sub-standard CGI capabilities. Not just in movies, but in games as well. They need to learn to model better.
>>
>Died to micolash
Instability frames were a mistake
>>
>>150776689
Simply put, has the same issues that has always plagued 3d integrated with 2d. The models stick out like crazy, it looks like I'm seeing two different layers of animation, one 2d and one 3d, it doesn't mesh well. I mean, it's not as bad as the Golgo movie helicopter scene, but it's still pretty fucking atrocious.
>>
>>150776599
Aletoricism is just the introduction of randomness or chance into the art. It has nothing to do with elimination the artist attempting to communicate with the viewer.

Just because you let your subconsciousness take over does not mean you are not trying to communicate something

> ultimately won't care if they don't like how it sounds, the same with everything else, technique is ultimately irrelevant as long as it's good enough.

We are not talking about tools to help an artist, we are talking about an AI that would eventually replace an artist
>>
File: hobbit.jpg (447KB, 1160x1920px) Image search: [Google]
hobbit.jpg
447KB, 1160x1920px
>>150775477
>western miyazaki

I agree that Miyazaki was being a little too harsh on these guys, but Mckellen had good reason to start crying. He started as a theatre actor which requires playing off of the people around you.

But he had to sit in a little green screen room and just talk to himself while pretending he was surrounded by other actors. Relatively newer actors have little problem with this, but for someone who's been in this business as long as he was it was hard to do.
>>
File: 1479152920037.png (435KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1479152920037.png
435KB, 720x720px
>>150775832
> AI makes something that's supposed to be grotesque and disgusting
> Miyazaki is disgusted by it
> Doesn't realize that's the whole point

Let's face it, if they had made the AI animate a naked 12 year old he'd be all over it
>>
>>150776689
Do you seriously think this looks good? Like, could you watch the storm scene and Ponyo and the earthquake in Wind Rises, then watch this, and honestly say that they're all good? Seriously? It disgusts me that this could ever be considered good animation. At least post Pixar or something, but even then it's utterly soulless.
>>
>>150776491
But this is miyazaki, do you really think that would stop him
showing his disgust

Also did some digging and found a video where he talks about Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDJr8brI7a8

Don't 100% what he says but id the place I founded it at is right

his overall impressions where

> It's a film that is encouraging and gives energy to old people.
>>
>>150776933
>He started as a theatre actor which requires playing off of the people around you.

Most people have never actually been to a stage play so they have no idea how different an experience it is. Watching the actor live a performance in front of your eyes and seeing all the little changes and imperfections is beautiful.

Its so different from a movie that has been cut and spliced, not saying its better or worse, but its very different and not enough people appreciate the skill
>>
>>150776824
>Aletoricism is just the introduction of randomness or chance into the art.
Yes, and by adding random elements you're reducing the artist input into the final work, meaning that whatever message it had gets diluted.
Stuff like 4'33'' doesn't even have any artist input on it, it's just background noise.
>Just because you let your subconsciousness take over does not mean you are not trying to communicate something
What are you talking about? Adding elements out of the control of the composer isn't anything related to his subconsciousness.
One of the main points of aleatoricism was to make music composed with the environment, not out of a composer, it wasn't a human making a message, styling it up and delivering it as a piece of art, but the environment itself making the work of art out of pure randomness.

>We are not talking about tools to help an artist, we are talking about an AI that would eventually replace an artist
That other anon said that technique was one of the main draws of human artistry, something that is both shallow and wrong. Watching someone have good technique at something might be cool, but it's not different than watching someone do a cool trick that requires a ton of practice, it has jack to do with art.
>>
>>150774286
>They are literally trying to replace artists with machines.

Good. Machines should replace mankind and rule this planet.
>>
Hi Famicom reply to this post pls
>>
>>150776988
What's bad about it then faggo
>soulless
nevermind, almost fell for it.

>>150776814
Aside from the shots I mentioned, I really don't think it suffers from it at all. Yes, there's still a sense of mismatch, but not to the point where it's bad.

You need to keep in mind that part of the goal with animation is to have a sense of depth to begin with. To a degree, you want that sort of mismatch of layering. In that webm, aside from the particular parts I pointed out as bad, I feel like there's just enough of it that it adds a sense of depth preception, without being so severe that it's obviously 3d and out of place. It looks smooth and meshes well, at least to me.

For the Asura's Wrath webm and CC2 short I linked on youtube, yeah, that's certainly an issue, but I also don't thik that in their cases that's necessarily even a problem or a deal breaker. The animation itself in those is so engaging that, at least to me, it's not a problem/distracting.

What about the CG short from the other company I linked to?
>>
>>150774524
>Art is a reflection of the human condition,

Was.
Soon machines will make superior art and remove mankind out of the picture for good.
Humans only exist to eventually create intelligent machines and then fuck off forever.
>>
>>150773809

There's an insite archive.
>>150754341
>>
>>150776824
If the AI is better, who cares? What's inferior will not survive. Humanity technological achievement in the 20th century is so great that many traditional handicrafts have died. We don't care. Maybe some like you do.
>>
>>150777195
CGI is mechanical and expressionless, "soulless" is an absolutely valid complaint.
>>
>>150773699
Despite not being so civil, the two guys in this thread made pretty good points.
>>
>>150774534
This.
What they call "soul" serves as nothing more than a mask to cover their own being. "Soul" is just something used to preserve those positive emotions that they occasionally feel.
Another possibility is that "soul" is a concept they conveniently borrowed under the logic that it would endow them with some sense of strength.
>>
Those kids are faggots for showing that to Miyazaki. I don't blame him for being pissed.

That said, if they can build something that actually makes better looking visuals with less cost, good on them. Otherwise, it's useless garbage.
>>
File: asura fake out.webm (3MB, 1066x600px) Image search: [Google]
asura fake out.webm
3MB, 1066x600px
>>150777342
Except the character expressions on every webm I posted are fine.

Well, maybe in those asura's wrath webms, it doesn't do a good job of showing it, but the game has impressively fluid facial animation. here's a better example in that department, though obviously the gameplay at the start of it isn't what you need to be paying attention to.

>Mechanical

Explain how it's mechanical, the animation is super fluid and the movements have an appropriate amount of weight and inertia to them, Way better then most 2d animation does, actually.

That's something 3d is actually good for, since you can do actual kinematics and physics simulations with it, as well as motion capture.
>>
the only software we need does a decent enough job of tweening interpolation with minimal require corrections. that will actually make no discernible difference to the final result but will free up capacities and animators who can be trained to become key animators, which is the actual bottle neck position in anime production
>>
>>150776292
I more tribute it to he hates seeing the techniques/skills die out and what he see's (not me) as animators becoming more and more lazy (not gonna debate for or against that, don't want to start one of those arguments)
>>
>>150774524
>Its the same as having a robot write a song. Sure we can do it but why?
same reason we build machines (ie. flutes, piano, guitar electric or not...) to make music.
>>
"I strongly feel that it is an insult to life itself."

Good meme.
>>
>>150777532
>Explain how it's mechanical
He's mistaking the imperfections of traditional animation with meaningfulness.
It's basically the "24fps vs 48fps" debate all over again, they're just not used to it but to have a point they make up a bunch of qualities inherently subjective and attribute them to their preferred form while dishing the other.
>>
>>150776933
Maybe little buttercup should've spent a fraction of the millions he gets on a coach if he can't deal with changes
>>
>>150773699

Why am I not surprised considering Miyazaki is a trigger issue for /a/ shitposters
>>
>>150777644
There is an argument to be made that the artificial nature of the 24fps allows the viewer to more easily suspend disbelief. 48fps is like looking the world, when you watch a movie at 48fps it almost looks hyper-real.

Subjectively it removes you from the experience of the cinema. Its an interesting tool but not necessarily one I would want to watch every move in
>>
>>150773662

He sounds too much like an empathetic human being for todays industry
>>
File: asura fake out 2.webm (3MB, 1066x600px) Image search: [Google]
asura fake out 2.webm
3MB, 1066x600px
>>150777532
Actually, here's the same webm with the gameplay removed, just so retards can't be dumb and point to that as being bad.

>>150777644
Asura's wrath IS only running at 30fps though. It's not even an issue of framerate. It's litterally just animated better, that's all.

It's the opposite of being mechanical, it's more organic.
>>
>>150775658

You could have just as easily stopped at polarized to describe anime fandom and still have reached the same point really. Needless to say as someone who is capable of holding non-polar positions on a matter I agree, but most anime fans probably can't.
>>
>>150777532
Expressive as in being expressed by an artist as opposed to synthesized by a machine. There is no human element and it doesn't feel like there's a human element. It's not about fluidity of movement or physics simulations, it's about creativity and beauty. Would you honestly want to watch a movie done up in Asura's Wrath's style? Would you be able to watch said movie and tell me it's as well animated as one of Miyazaki's films? CG has its place in a lot of things, like video games or the sciences, but not art.
>>
"I feel like we are nearing to the end of times. We humans are losing faith in ourselves..." -Hayao "Crawling in My Skin" Miyazaki
>>
the whole point of the animation was to produce something unsettling and uncanny for use in horror games or films. uncanniness is generally one of the only scary parts of a video game (horror games or otherwise), people can get comfortable plowing through jump scares but when something seems unintentional or breaking the rules it makes our brains freak out.

miyazaki wants to relate to real people in his works, it's only natural that he reacts this way against this stuff.
>>
So like how many people actually watched the video to see the specific reason why he felt offended by the model as a veteran animator and considering the things he and his generation tended to focus on when it comes to character movements. It's in there and pretty obvious but it seems like yet again /a/ is just making up it's own reasons for it's own convenience.
>>
>it's funny to make fun of an old man: the thread
not much better than people who think hurting hobos or stray cats is funny
>>
>>150777918
>no human element
Thise animations don't pop up out of thin air you know
>>
>>150777918
So what do you think an animator is trying to express when his boss tells him to draw the in-betweens of 5 keyframes if he wants to eat?
>>
>>150776735

Almost all of it uses motion capture elements to convey more "realistic" movements but considering Japanese live action actors tendency to chew the scenery and gesticulate it often just comes across looking more awkward and uncanny valley than it should.
>>
>>150777952
Those kids should have better understood who their audience was for the presentation. They presented their product as an AI to replace the work of an artist and he rightfully took offence.

His whole bit about the handicap man was important. The computer animation in question was offensive because it was grotesque without context. It was a depiction of human suffering without the component of being constructed by an AI who does not understand that suffering.

Like you said he spends his whole life trying to get people to relate to his work, how could people relate to the AI
>>
>>150778102
What point are you trying to make and why is it relevant?
>>
>>150778157
That your post is bullshit, I thought it was clear.
>>
>>150778153
*It was a depiction of human suffering being constructed by an AI who does not understand that suffering.
>>
>>150777007
>But this is miyazaki, do you really think that would stop him showing his disgust

Money talks. Also, just because he's friends with Lassetar doesn't mean he likes his works.

He likes Anno but don't think he likes Evangelion.
>>
How does this old faggot always trigger all of /a/?
>>
>>150777615
music is very limited and has many formulas that can be followed that enables machines to create music well. If it it comes to animation and story however then it's basically impossible for a machine to be programmed to freely create a show that has the intention to convey certain feelings than what a man made show would be. The options our minds have are limitless compared to that of an anime making machine regardless of how capable it is of continuous learning and so forth.
>>
>>150778267
It's the same divide you see in this board and others. Those that view animation as art and those that view it as only entertainment.

He perfectly encapsulates that divide
>>
>>150775546
I mean until we know otherwise we kinda are.
>>
>>150778313
>music is very limited
The fuck you're talking about?
Every art medium has formulas that can be followed.
>>
>>150777881
also, to respond to >>150777789

That's true, but that "soap oprea effect" is avoidable. I've seen footage of real life people taken at higher framerates where it's a non issue, wheras other times it does bug me, but usually after a few seconds my brain just fixes it for me and it just looks like normal video, just smoother.

The way you fix it is artificially adding in motion blur in post processing. I don't have a webm on me, but I saw one once that compares a hand waving back and forth in a game at different framerates with differing amounts of motion blurred applied.

At 60fps, the hand movement was unautally smooth, because in real life, with our actual vision, we have motion blur, wheras looking at a screen, no such motion blur exists unless it also is there in the footage itself. So it needs to be artifically added.

Currently, with most high framerate films, it's not, so that's why it looks like shit.

>>150776735
The CG in shin godzilla was baffling. In some scenes it looked incredible, the best CG i've ever seen, with Godzilla having all the best elements of CG and pratical effects at once with none of the drawbacks in either, but in other scenes, it looked godawful, like a bad Syfy movie or something from the 80/'s/90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66SAVZ4JxY8
>>
>>150778208
What does the shitty animation industry have to do with anything?
>>
>Miyazaki sits in on a presentation watching as a robot attempts to communicate with a person
>"Hello I am robot, hello, I am... thing"
>The robot struggles
>Miyazaki looks more concerned
>The person presenting the demo explains "It's not very good at it right now but it's interesting to see how it's learning, perhaps at this early stage it could be used to generate horror dialog"
>"I am robot.. I like... to hug y-y-... a-a-a-aaaaafkeopwfjg" the robot stutters
>Miyazaki looks visibly disgruntled
>"I have a friend I meet everyday, not everyday now, who is autistic and can't speak well. Frankly speaking, looking at this robot disgusts me and is an insult. The people who make this are disgusting and have no concept of what other people feel."
>The creators, sitting near by try to clarify "We don't mean to insult anybody it's just an earlier work and it doesn't have to be used for anything"
>Miyazaki puzzled asks "Then what do you want to create from this?"
>The creators smile and say "We want to create robots that can communicate with humans and help them"
>"I'm worried for the future of the human race"
>>
>>150778231
I don't think he has ever made a comment on Eva and if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure he's friends with anno simply on his animation abilities

Plus to video linked he seemed to like Up at least
>>
>>150778441
>implying I'm friends with Miyazaki
>>
File: 1480538491959.jpg (1MB, 3780x4690px) Image search: [Google]
1480538491959.jpg
1MB, 3780x4690px
>>150778441
>>150778485
>>
>>150778441
and a new copypasta is born
>>
>>150778369
If you bother looking into music theory you will understand. Music is so limited that practically every song is copying another to a degree. The only way to break this limit is micro tunes but I haven't really heard any song do that. But shows and visual art break limits a lot more easily. You can follow formulas but you don't have to do so as strictly as with music and many also do not. Basically, it's fucking stupid to try compare machine made music to machine made art/tv.
>>
>>150778313
Machines are useless for music. It's understandable to use machines to eliminate the more tedious animation work involved, but writing music? That's retarded. Making music is not a repetitive process and it takes little time to make a little chime for a commercial or whatever. I don't see what machines can do for music.
>>
I don't think Miyazaki understood the point of the demonstration.
>>
>>150778772
Honestly I don't get why they showed him, he's the least likely person to get it
>>
>>150778754
An example of google deepminds music it composed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8UawLT4it0
>>
>>150778699
>If you bother looking into music theory you will understand.
The only reason someone would believe your retarded statement is precisely if they hadn't looked into music theory.
Or at least, music theory beyond the Classical period.
>Music is so limited that practically every song is copying another to a degree.
This is literally wrong.
Popular music destined to the masses follow certain standards because those are what uneducated plebeians have shown to prefer, but that's no different from any other medium, the only genre of music that could be considered strictly defined by formulas/algorithms is serialism, the posibilities of music, especially contemporary music beyond the 20th century are as endless as anything else.
>>
>start working for Ghibli
>one day you can show your life project to Miyazaki
>it's CGI featuring lolis in swimswuits and big jiggly boobs
>he tells you it's disgusting
>later when no one is around he grabs you and ask for a copy
>>
File: why motion blur is good.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
why motion blur is good.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>150778370
>>150777789
>>150777644
Found the webm

>>150777918
Have you ever even touched 3d software?

>Would you honestly want to watch a movie done up in Asura's Wrath's style?
Considering I watched the entire game on youtube, all 12 hours of it, and I had more fun doing that then I had anything else in years, yeah, I fucking would.

Maybe you should try it.
>>
>>150773662
Oh no, he values human emotion over technology.
>>
>>150773699

And the day before too
>>
>>150779252
Someday too, the robots will say the same about you
>>
Am I the only one who hates western 3D animation and doesn't watch it?
>>
>>150778754
I am not saying they aren't good or bad for music as it's not what I am arguing about. I agree with you that machines make really shitty music

>>150778935
In the end what you say is true but not true to your original point. Ultimately music is sound, but many and I would consider your examples of endless options as only sound, a separated category of music (but that's more opinion) It's also odd to have a robot limited to what it's programmed with to try and make limitless music. In the end it's inferior to man made music then just like anime.
>>
>>150774118
This. Can't wait until he dies.
>>
>>150773662
>retards missing the point
I am utterly disgusted at you /a/
>>
>>150778441
Is this what he thinks about vocaloid
>>
>>150775892

Miyazaki seems more disrespectful to his disabled friend than those guys
>>
>>150777918
>CG has its place in a lot of things, like video games or the sciences, but not art.
Now you just proved that you are completely autistic and should kill yourself right now.
>>
>>150779616
>In the end what you say is true but not true to your original point. Ultimately music is sound
Yes, the medium of music is sound.
This is why most "artistic IA" focus on music, because for a computer, sampling soundwaves and digitally altering them is mundany, they only have to worry about the logical layer but that doesn't mean is limited, the number of ways you can represent a mechanical wave are mathematically infinite.
>It's also odd to have a robot limited to what it's programmed with to try and make limitless music.
Well that's the ultimate point of IA, making a robot that is capable of self-writing his behaviour pattern, to act in ways that the developers didn't originally predict.
That's essentially the main difference between human and computer, we can willfully act against our hard-wired instincts, a computer as it is right now will never act beyond the scope of their algorithms.
>>
>>150773662
So Miyazaki is literally a sjw now.
>>
>>150780472
>now
>>
>>150774286
Well Miyazaki, if you'd tried to nurture young talent instead of using them to stroke your own ego and vision, you might not be in this situation.

Eat shit you Commie fuck
>>
>>150774286
But he already hates everyone working in the anime industry, why would he care if they got replaced?
>>
>>150777918
I think CG is fine in art if it's used in a creative way. I actually think Miyazaki's wrong here, It may not fit a ghibly film but it isn't without merit.
>>
>>150774524
Eve no Jikan has an episode about machines making music iirc. It was pretty good. AI is what is going to replace us so it's okay for them to make art too.
>>
>>150773662
Yeah, poor guy
Cant wait for him leeching $ that could be used to realize an actual fresh and original idea.

Instead we get another rehash from that senile fuck that so generic, lifeless and devoid of any appeal that nobody will watch it or ever discuss it outside of its initial release.
Seriously, Spirited away was the last movie of his i even remotely found any enjoyment in, and even then it dindt exactly blow me away. I was more impressed with the visual side of the movie rather than anything Miyazaki was involved with in it.
But hey, no matter what piece of shit he produces next it will every award in japan as people desperately will try to dig him out of obscurity and gain some critic cred.
>>
>>150773662
>Miyazaki: I'm literally shaking right now
>>
>>150773662
If you listen very closely.
And i mean like really listen.

You hear an old man afraid of dying and terrified of the world he found himself as he grew old.

If you are too stupid and technology illiterate to understand what can be the applications of self learning a computer algorithms then why the fuck should you even comment on it? And why should anybody find your opinion worthwhile? Just fuck off back to your coffin.
This is why i hate Japanese culture.
Juts look at those afraid beta males just sitting there and watching this old senile fuck criticize their work while he produces his childrens entertainment while the person in front of him brings the human race one step forward.
Call the old fart out on his crap, dont just take it, speak your mind. Fuuuuck. Its so aggravating to watch in what the state are modern men in.

And fuck your friend Miyazaki, stick your crappy sob story up your ass, nobody cares. What you gonna do, draw him a picture?
Smart men like those in front of you heal disease and might one day make him walk again. Show some respect.

Another video that makes me think even less of modern Japanese society, thanks op.
>>
File: tumblr_nxp7wpJ37a1qzlwrso2_1280.png (621KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxp7wpJ37a1qzlwrso2_1280.png
621KB, 848x480px
>hello there look we made this thing called car it's for moving around
>I HAVE A HORSE I RIDE EVERY DAY, NOT EVERY DAY NOW, WHO IS LAME AND CAN'T NEIGH VERY WELL. FRANKLY SPEAKING LOOKING AT THIS CAR DISGUSTS ME AND IS AN INSULT. THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THIS ARE DISGUSTING AND HAVE NO CONCEPT OF WHAT HORSES FEEL
>>
>>150781608
They can't call him out on his autism because muh respect for the big old artist. It does not matter that his "criticism" is solely based on his lack of knowledge. I really don't understand why AI developers would want to talk to a guy whose only skill is drawing. What the fuck would he know about AI development.
>>
>>150777701
you're one of the reason half-assed CGI is acceptable these days
>>
>>150778267

Because /a/ is literally looking for things to be mad over.

>>150778321

That's not the divide here, the divide is usually over some literally who cares bullshit
>>
File: kek.jpg (38KB, 592x754px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
38KB, 592x754px
>>150781619
This made me kek more than it should've.
>>
>>150782141
Yeah, you always hear about the Japanese work culture and in what shit it is to work there, and what insane amount of pressure there is on you to "fit in".
But videos like this really drive in the point.
Every behind the scenes video on anime or game development i watch in online is depressing as all fucks, you see those miserable weasels desperately trying to gain some appreciation from the upper management.

So glad i run my own firm, i would probably murder someone if i worked there.

>>150781619
Oh man, spot on
>>
>>150782141
>a guy whose only skill is drawing
And engineering, he actually does understand to some degree how planes are correctly built thanks to his father's work.
>>
Miyazaki is basically the Japanese Hank Hill.
>hwat? a modern thing I don't understand? well that's just asinine I tell you what, get it away from me before I kick yer ass.
>>
>>150774537
hue
>>
>>150780959
I'm sure it's possible, but I literally cannot imagine a CG animated film ever being better than a hand-drawn one. Nothing I've ever seen in CG has given me that impression.

>>150780267
What's your problem?
>>
>>150773662
>this shit is so creepy
>fug dis
he's complained about legit crap but this? lol
>>
>>150783677
>but I literally cannot imagine a CG animated film ever being better than a hand-drawn one.
It's about even for me, as I see both as equally bland for the most part.
>>
>>150782141
>because muh respect for the big old artist.
Just like everything in Japan, they only pretend. Old people are not respected as fuck. Sure everyone has to be polite to you but everyone also secretly admits old people fucking suck and hates your guts. Old people are only superficially respected, which is why at the end of the day these developers are going to go back to making whatever they're making and bemoan that their stupid CEO made them show this to Miyazaki who wouldn't appreciate because he's a dumb old fuck they hate and hate having to pretend to respect
>>
>>150783896
Why do you watch anime then? Out of curiosity. Or are you just saying the average animated film is bland looking regardless of the tools used to make it? Because then I'd agree, but who really cares about averages anyways?
>>
>>150783039
>And engineering, he actually does understand to some degree how planes are correctly built thanks to his father's work.
He understands it about as well as I understand how a car is build due to me being in a garage once or twice.
Since i doubt he ever worked manually in his life yet alone was anywhere near his father when he worked on planes.
So no, engineering is not his skill, stop talking crap.
>>
>>150781619
>Hi Miyazaki I invented an oven let me show you my cooking that resulted from it
>"I have a Caveman, I meet with him everyday, well not everyday now, whose brain is not yet evolved enough to process modern concepts such as electricity and cooks only with fire. Frankly speaking this oven disgusts me and is an insult, the people who make this are disgusting and have no concept of what Cavemen feel."
>>
>>150784049
>Why do you watch anime then? Out of curiosity.
I'm watching it less and less recently, since I'm starting to see how limited it is not only in its animation quality, but also in things like storylines, presentation etc. Fuck, most anime stories out there might as well be live-action due to how small they take advantage of their medium other than that occasional scene.

And let's not get started about how hugely homogenized the general artstyle is, and how much of the same expressions and body language are used over and over. Say what you will about the "CalArts shit" persistent in western TV cartoons nowadays but even the shows using such a style have done more interesting variations on it in comparison.

>Or are you just saying the average animated film is bland looking regardless of the tools used to make it?
Yeah, pretty much. Regardless of whether it's 2D or 3D, chances are that most films will suffer from the same art style plague anime does as it's mostly just the same dime store Disney crap time after time.
>>
>>150773662
>Being moving by using his head
>has no concept of pain

Miyasaki wasn't triggered because it's "unsensitive to his friend" or new, he was disgusted because it produces animation without any kind of personality or feeling. Doesn't matter if it's a zombie that has no thought process or preservation instinct: it has to transmit something to the audience beyond "that looks weird and gross". Even in present day most zombie movies show them struggling, falling and moaning, as it gives a sense of suffering. The logic behind that animation test is the same that made the zombie-waves in WWZ so ridiculous.
>>
>>150776167
>Do you really not see how some things are automated and the person doing them doesn't matter
Quite the contrary, automation has facilitated the lives of many freeing up time they'd spend doing monotonous tasks giving them more control over their own lives making their life matter more.

>the human element can be removed from all creation
There is nothing stopping the human element from continuing to create its own artwork even if AI reaches a point where it is capable of delivering results of comparable quality.

And I'm a mechatronic engineer, welcome to the future.
>>
>>150784619
Consider rewatching favourites or watching a classic instead of what's airing, maybe? I find this mentality common among those who forget that anime has been big for many decades before the 90s. There's a ton of proper great animation from Japan, but most of it is very old. How much world animation do you watch? Every time I doubt animation I rewatch a Frederic Back film and I'm totally renewed.
>>
>>150781608
>Muh Japanese old fart honurr.
Nips really need to do away with this. Especially with the shitty birthrate they're experiencing.
>>
>>150785176
>How much world animation do you watch?
This may sound a little vague, but I pretty much what interests me the most visuals-wise, though even that can be rather few and far between.

I forgot to mention, that although I'm not really much of a huge animu fan nowadays, I still do have a thing for the music, especially the old stuff because of how well the genre-mixing was pulled off for the most part.
>>
>>150774524
You think we don't have machines making music already? lol. All the top 40 is mostly computer generated and has been for a while. They just tweak the finished product and slap a pretty face onto it
>>
>>150785819
>lol

What you're talking isn't AI generated, don't be stupid.
>>
>>150776655
>>150776523
>>150776645
Feel free to say what about it looks bad
>>
>>150786013
There's been talk about pop music being generated with computer algorithms but I don't know if it's true.
Either way, it's so simple that you don't really need an IA for it so it's kind of a waste.
>>
>>150778111
>it often just comes across looking more awkward and uncanny valley than it should.
So basically nothing to do with the example being talked about then.
>>
>>150786013
AI is already writing our news stories.
>>
>miyazaki gets mad
>muh Japan
>>
>>150774286
>Replacing inferior producers with superior ones
>bad
>>
>>150773662
Why does /a/ worship this old cunt again?
>>
>>150786026
The CGI
>>
File: 1428715600315.jpg (983KB, 1280x1336px) Image search: [Google]
1428715600315.jpg
983KB, 1280x1336px
>>150776472
>>150776645
>>150776409
>that slow motion overuse
>>
>>150776472
This is shit.
>>
>>150773662

>It looks like shit

He's right, very few 3D animation looks good
>>
>>150774286
The literally made an AI drag a ragdoll across the ground.
>>
>>150775361
>A sufficiently advanced AI could generate the stories and stories as well
not even close to my lifetime.
>>
>>150773662
He's kinda an asshole
>>
>>150775417
>It could be used to assist a human animator. Not replace them.
This. IA > AI
>>
File: 0FovpdY.png (519KB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
0FovpdY.png
519KB, 700x800px
>>150787041

Thank you for this helpful and informative post. Here's your (you).
>>
>>150787041
That asshole is really /ourguy/
>>
>all these people who know literally nothing about 3d animation and thinks it just springs out of the fucking ground
>>
>>150789256
What?
>>
>>150789472
Half the bitching is basically just people thinking that CG animators just press a button and animation happens.
>>
>>150789604
I don't think that's true.
>>
File: dio.png (306KB, 500x315px) Image search: [Google]
dio.png
306KB, 500x315px
>>150774813
>>
>Overrated hack who only got popular because he abused his staff to give him higher animation quality whining

Miyazaki was always shit
>>
File: impossibru.png (273KB, 419x358px) Image search: [Google]
impossibru.png
273KB, 419x358px
>>150781608
>>150782141
They just don't want to get fired from their slave wage job.

>>150775658
>All his movies have a tree hugging message
>Kills thousands of trees just to make his movies
>>
He was talking about how those lazy guys let an AI make spook animation for the sake of random spooks and how they are stupid enough to think the random production of an AI is worth it. When he talked about his friend it was to explain how he actually has the opportunity to talk and relate to someone with a disability, so the experience filled him with knowledge and understanding about a human condition. Experience vs random production. That was his point.
>>
>>150789682
Do you actually believe what you're saying is true?
>>
>>150781608
Nice edge.

>while the person in front of him brings the human race one step forward.

Is that what they were trying to do? I honestly don't see the practicality behind what they showed. An AI that learns on its own how to move with the joints we give it — that's what they were showing, right? How does THAT become something that can draw pictures? They seem to actually want AI to replace artists, but they don't seem to realize that an AI won't possess any artistic vision until it is complex enough to be its own human being, which we are far off from achieving.
>>
he is right. CG is fucking shit, it ruined cinema and it is going do ruin anime.
>>
They should've programmed an AI that fucks Ponyo in the ass
>>
>>150776271
>I'm a leech doctor, and the thought of a bunch of idiots on the internet pretending "Science and automation are the ultimate progress!" and that the human element can be removed from all creation make me sick to my stomach.
>I'm a leech doctor
>leech doctor
>doctor

I cannot stop laughing.
>>
File: degrees.jpg (43KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
degrees.jpg
43KB, 500x381px
>>150787041
Name an animator who isn't.
>>
>>150790225
>which we are far off from achieving.
Yeah, and i bet we are gonna get much closer with that attitude. Everything is created in huge instantaneous jumps after all? Right?

Also calling out a retard on his behavior isnt edgy, its how normal society should function. Someone need to put that old egoistical fuck in his place, sadly in japan no man has balls.
If you believe anything in that video is normal, and how an work office climate should look then kid, you gonna have some hard time in your life.
>>
File: 34yxsnq[1].png (733KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
34yxsnq[1].png
733KB, 1280x720px
>>150777196

Wrong, weak people like you only exist to be made use off untill you are no longer of any use, there will always be a tribe of humans above all others. (jews)

You are like the Germans and the French which have donated their countries to peoples of color, just because they are rich on melanin.
>>
Why do people hate 3DCG so much? It doesn't look quite as "natural" as pure 2D animation, but done right, it can make up for it's drawbacks by looking amazing. For example, a well done fight scene in 3DCG is always choreographically superior to a 2D scene. I've always enjoyed 3DCG, the lack of 2D art never seemed like a major problem to me. Regardless, it's fucking retarded how many idiots don't understand or appreciate technology. Fuck, I bet the people who hate 3DCG are exactly the same kind of people who said electronic music wasn't real music. It's not the tool, but the artist, that matters. If it doesn't have good qualities about it, it's not the tools, fault but the artists.

Also, it's naive to think AI is any different from any other living being. There's no reason an AI can't learn, and make itself better, just as humans did. At the end of the day, there's no fundamental difference between a mind that lives in a metal framework, and a mind that lives in a flesh and bone framework. AI is simply a sentient entity created artificially, by the logic of people ITT AI humans should never have been able to advance at all because it wasn't inherently ingrained in us. A true AI will have learning systems that allow it to take in new knowledge. For all we know, we've already created sentient AI that are just as aware as a human. Because all that was required for humans to be sentient was a certain type of programming that allowed us to expand on new information, in fact this is likely the basis of being conscious. If we've created something that can truly learn and better itself, than we have likely already created new beings.
>>
>>150790702
>a retard
>Someone need to put that old egoistical fuck in his place
He is a 75 year old man, you fucking autist. Jesus christ. And you seem to think that he's "fearful" of the future — guess what, he won't be a part of the future either way. It's not fear anymore. He regrets that it is turning out that way. He thinks it will be lesser for it.

Now, maybe he is wrong on that part, more than likely is. But being wrong =/= being retarded here. His response is normal and understandable and there's definitely an aspect of truth to it. Every advancement in technology creates new values in the world but also loses some. An old man being concerned about the ones being lost is normal. What you should think more about doing is growing up so you don't get so angry over what an old man has to say about things.
>>
File: CGI IS GOOD THEY SAID.webm (1MB, 736x718px) Image search: [Google]
CGI IS GOOD THEY SAID.webm
1MB, 736x718px
>>150790944

fuck off, CGI is fucking shit.
>>
>>150790895
I exist for myself. Other people can try to use me, but unless they use overwhelming physical force, I will continue to live for myself. Selfish? Yes, because I do value my own will regarding my own life above the wills of others. And yes I'm aware that it's edgy, but edgy just means "going against the flow", which is fine with me.
>>
>>150790335
>CG is fucking shit
And now he's using it for his newest feature film.
>>
File: 1402495790685.jpg (158KB, 704x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1402495790685.jpg
158KB, 704x1023px
>>150790944
Because in this business world it is easier to make 3dcg, 3dcg with pixar has already killed 2d in the west, 2d in the west is never coming back except in maybe kickstarters or something.

So if 3dcg ever takes of in Japan then 2d animation is dead F O R E V E R, with only 2d being nico nico and youtube projects.

Thankfully Japanese otaku are diehard anime lovers and really want to adhere to a higher art even if it means you get shit pay at a bad work place. And thankfully many studios are run by genuine people who actually like anime rather than thinking of it as just a source of money.
>>
I want to respect the guy but he keeps acting like just a bitchy old fool. Get your shit together if you want to be taken seriously Miyazaki.
>>
>>150790944
Way too many words
>>
>>150791280
Are you argreeing it was a tragedy or saying western animation was always shit?
>>
>>150791222
It's easier to make for people who don't care, but for those who want to make a quality work, it is a canvas infinitely bigger than 2D. More shitty stuff will be made, yes, but thew good stuff will be god-tier. Great 3DCG fight scenes can be way better than 2D fight scenes. That doesn't mean 2D doesn't still have a purpose, but the truth is someone who would only use 3DCG for the purpose of shitting out bad and cheap products wouldn't have been making god-tier anime if they had been using 2D instead.

The cheapness and scope of 3D only expands the art world, it doesn't limit it.
>>
File: insult.png (237KB, 691x423px) Image search: [Google]
insult.png
237KB, 691x423px
>>
>>150791375
Name a CG animated film you consider god-tier, please.
>>
>>150776219
No you idiot, switching all singing over to vocaloids would kill singing and music. Switching all instrumental music to computer generated instruments would also achieve that. How do you think your example is comparable at all?

>>150776271
>Are you the same idiots who think that printing is "just another tool" for writers to use
The art behind writing is how they generate the words and the story, not how the words physically get on the paper. How can you idiots keep failing at these analogies?

>>150776282
Cancer immunotherapy with a focus on nanoparticle based drug delivery systems. Go fuck yourself.

>>150785047
>automation has facilitated the lives of many freeing up time they'd spend doing monotonous tasks giving them more control over their own lives making their life matter more.
That doesn't even remotely apply to what I just said. If anything, you just agreed with me.

>There is nothing stopping the human element from continuing to create its own artwork
Be pragmatic for 2 seconds and think "If the people who run the business side of entertainment can mass produce garbage and still make money with less overhead, will they continue to fun real art?" The answer is no.

>And I'm a mechatronic engineer, welcome to the future.
Ah, so you lack creativity and any sort of passion for art, and in turn promote the destruction of it? It's funny because in a way you're like a robot yourself.
>>
>>150790985
>He regrets that it is turning out that way.
Considering he is the part of this cancer work culture and spend decades helping to create it it would be pretty hypocritical to look at the mess he left with contempt dont you think?

>. His response is normal and understandable and there's definitely an aspect of truth to it.
Its a response of some self delusional twat who thinks hes the source of all knowledge or that hes entitled to being listened to while he waste peoples time with his worthless opinions on things he dosnt understand.
>Every advancement in technology creates new values in the world but also loses some.
The fuck does this even mean? Lost values, like what?

You can know a man by how he treats those who can do nothing to him, in this case random employees for a firm hes not even a boss of, i think this video perfectly shows what kind of person Miyazaki. And i think its time for him to fuck off into obscurity.
>>
>>150776219
At what point does the human stop being in control of the tool?
>>
>>150791375
>Great 3DCG fight scenes can be way better than 2D fight scenes
This is just completely wrong.
>>
>>150791375
I don't know, the Japanese are hard to predict, but in America 2d is dead, even many cartoon tv networks moved into live action. Somehow in America it is nonviable to make any 2d animated films. If 3d takes hold in Japanese studios 2d might stop, however maybe not, I mean frozen and whatever crap pixar and disney puts out get huge box offices in Japan too, so maybe it is just otakus that are keeping it alive.
>>
>>150776409
>>150776472
Why do people not like this? Because it doesn't look exactly like 2D? Fuck off, it's not supposed to be an exact imitation of 2D, it's a medium of it's own. You just need to get your heads out of your asses. It's smooth, fluid, and the characters are always on model. That cannot be said for most 2D anime now. You all hate it because it doesn't "feel" like 2D, and you're used to that. In your mind, a "good" animation is sup[posed to have all the visual cues as drawn animation. You have to adapt your mind to intake this new information. So it doesn't have the exact same gritty, paced feel as hand drawn anime from the 90s? So what, just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad.
>forgetting that people are close minded retards that hate everything that's different from what they're used to
Ah right, I forgot. I should stop wasting my time.
>>
>>150791554
>>150791693
Everything from Majestic Prince was god-tier. I bet you haven't even seen it, filthy purist casuals.
>>
>>150773662
He is absolutely right.
>>
>>150791875
>CGshit mechs are good
>Muh studio Orange
Literally the dankest of all memes.
>>
>>150791622
For you to be so buttblasted over this you must have received harsh criticism from an older peer of yours at one point in your life. That or you really are an autist. Either way, you should chill out, because this isn't that serious.

>The fuck does this even mean? Lost values, like what?

As in our values change as technology changes. Our expectations change. It's black and white right fucking there in the video. Miyazaki, a 75 year old man, shows disgust in the idea of an AI replacing humans to create art. Meanwhile, the younger generation around him does not see the issue he sees. His values are different from theirs; he appreciates different things. And that is because they are from drastically different generations.

Since you're defending those kids you probably don't give much of a shit about someone who spent years mastering their craft to create something. Does Hokusai's woodblock prints mean anything to you? Does it matter to you that they are printed on woodblocks, or are you just looking at the pictures themselves and getting quickly bored? That is the difference in values from one generation to another and how technology impacts our expectations, because it makes greater things possible, but it also changes our perspective on what to focus on (since it automates and simplifies things that were previously very difficult to achieve). We can manufacture something like a woodblock print easily now, but in the early 1800s, that would have been a really special and inspiring thing to see. And that's just one example.
>>
>>150791875
And that's the end of that argument, I guess.
>>
>>150791793
>Oh you like drawn animation?
>Ok well this is completely different, but you should still accept it as a replacement because I like it
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>150791916
>muh muh muh CGI is bad
>I'll reject everything you say because I can't ever accept anything besides muh glorious 2D
>muh muh studio memes
Fuck you.
>>
>>150791976
I'm not saying you can't still like 2D animation, but hating 3DCG because it's different is retarded. It's not replacing anything, it's a new thing of it's own.
>>
>>150791987
>The models are all on point because they can reuse them so it's good
>Spinning the camera and backgrounds a lot and lots of haphazard movement means that the choreography is good
Fuck off with your shit taste.
>>
>>150792059
>It's not replacing anything
Yes it is, you fucking idiot. That's the entire problem with it. It's already completely taken over animation in the west, and has been creeping into anime in Japan as well. How can you say it's not replacing anything with a straight face?
>>
I know you faggots will hate this just because it's CGI, but I'm going to post it anyway.
https://youtu.be/2hEjVKlU_o8
>>
Miyazaki used to be my hero.
>>
>>150791793
Because it looks BAD anon.
>muh fluidity
>muh model
Right, this shit is mass produced and sterile. Get 10 great traditional animators to draw the same scene and they'll all look different. Get 10 great CG animators to do the same scene and they'll all churn put the same thing. It's not a creative process anymore. Who are your favourite CG animators anon? Oh right, you don't have any because they're nameless gears in the animation machine, not artists.
>>
>>150792079
>Spinning the camera and backgrounds a lot and lots of haphazard movement means that the choreography is good
Hey, that's how a lot of fights in 2D animus are done.
>>
>>150792162
If you didn't live under a rock your image of your heroes wouldn't be so precise and fragile as to be easily shattered.
>>
>>150792222
Haha no. Watch this
>>150792126
and pay attention to all the spinning camera, rapid zoom ins and zoom outs, and random slow downs for "impact". CGshit just tries to play off the fact that they're puppets with an easily manipulable camera in lieu of ever actually composing a good fight,
>>
Is this thread worth reading?
>>
>>150792285
>Haha no.
Show me a counterexample then.

>all the spinning camera, rapid zoom ins and zoom outs, and random slow downs for "impact".
Also present in a lot of fight scenes in 2D animus.
>>
>>150774524
You humans will ever cease to amuse me
>>
File: ms-6.png (200KB, 475x261px) Image search: [Google]
ms-6.png
200KB, 475x261px
>Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know. It’s produced by humans who can’t stand looking at other humans.
How can one nigga be so right?
>>
>>150792214
I don't have any favorite 2D animators, or seiyuus, or writers either. If the scene looks good, who cares if 9 other people made it the same way?
>>
Miyazaki is AN ARTIST.
I don't understand why everyone expect him to be a reasonable teacher or a gentle grandpa.
>>
>>150792412
>muh ningen
Fuck off
>>
>>150792404
Has AI gone too far?

>>150792421
If you don't actually care for animation then perhaps this isn't an argument you should participate in?
>>
File: 1466509596271.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1466509596271.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
>>150773662
The presentation was horrible and they deserve to get shit for it if they really want to emphasize this will one day replace humans. They didn't even have any sort of counter argument just in case it didn't go well. Miyazaki might be a bit bitter but his heart is in the right place unlike these morons.
>>
File: STR build.webm (3MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
STR build.webm
3MB, 853x480px
>>150792386
Pay attention to the cut where he's first sent through the trees. Then look at the one where he's sent flying after the last kick, and notice that he bounces off the ground to show a sense of weight and doesn't need to shake and spin the camera all around to try to achieve that effect, because the animator doing that scene had enough talent to get the point across otherwise. That kind of flair is utterly absent from CG.
>>
>>150792436
This is 4chan. It's full of people who leave their homes once in a blue moon and have very small ideas as to how the world works. They have no clue exactly how harsh and overbearing the majority of artists in the world are, Miyazaki is a cupcake compared to most of them.
>>
>>150792059
See I don't hate 3d, I mean toy story and the like are good. If 3d and 2d could live in harmony I would be okay with it. But as history has shown us in America once 3d hit better profit margins than 2d it completely engulfed 2d and 2d isn't coming back. If Japan adopts 3d widely it will REPLACE 2d and only comiket projects will touch it.

>>150792314
>Bashing Miyazaki
>Merits of 2d vs merits of 3d
>3d cannot live in harmony with 2d
>2d is old, 3d is upgrade
It's okay.
>>
>>150792421
>I don't actually like animation
>So you should listen to what I say about the industry
Really activated my almonds.
>>
>>150792126
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4kEuNfbTWc
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQu3-dt_Fwk

Fuck off ningen
>>
>>150773662
Literally my dad
>>
>>150792214
>>150792285
Don't get me fucking wrong, my favorite fights are 2D, hand drawn, from the 80s and 90s mostly. But 3DCG doesn't look anywhere close to as bad as people make it out to be. Some 3DCG fights look amazing. Again, you're saying the 3DCG fights are "bad" because of elements that are different from 2D. What's wrong with slow downs for impact? Nothing.
>>
File: ss+(2016-12-10+at+09.10.45).jpg (31KB, 431x429px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-12-10+at+09.10.45).jpg
31KB, 431x429px
>Oh god Miyazaki-sama just blew me the fuck out what the hell do I say
>>
I-is /3/ getting deleted?
>>
>>150775361
>A sufficiently advanced AI could generate the stories and stories as well

The thought of being able to design an AI that could put everyone out of their jobs or even replace humans, is amazing. We would have created something that's better at what we do than ourselves. But as a person, that's scary.

The next logical step would be to then to find a way to convert ourselves into such an existence, and keep progressing.
>>
The only 3D show I liked has been Bubuki Buranki of course it still looks stupid at times so its not perfect but enjoyable. Still prefer 2D tho.
>>
>>150792477
>>150792569
I never said I didn't like ANIMATION, I've been animating things myself in my free time since I was a little kid. But I care more about the product and not the process. If it's good to me in the end, I don't care who made it. If it was made by an artist I like, great, but it wouldn't be any more or less good done by an artist I don't like or don't know.
>>
Anyone who thinks art cant be automated is retarded straight up. There are many small patterns which people find appealing. Machines can be taught to utilize those patterns. Look at something like Infinite Stratos. It's so generic it's painful. All the character archetypes have been done a thousand times already. All the character designs are fairly generic (look at the hundreds of Houkis for example). The plot is extremely generic. Infinite Stratos could totally be made by machines in 10 years.
>>
What does Miyazaki think of old school western animators like Chuck Jones and Tex Avery?
>>
>>150780739
For the same reason he keeps coming out of retirement.

He ENJOYS his anger.
>>
It DOES look like crap.

I think AI can help animators do the menial, repetitive work like drawing inbetween frames between two hand-drawn ones. Or you color one frame and it tries its best to follow your example for the next few frames. Kind of like waifu2x. But thinking that it can do the animation for you is retarded.
>>
>>150792758
Right, you're just a consumer.

>>150792768
Sick dig at Infinite Stratos.
>>
>>150792531
>dat shaky cam
>dat DBZ-tier laws of breaking physics just for the sake of cool
>dem flashy computer effects
>the fact that FUCKING GIANT ROBOTS are doing all this shit that's not even possible otherwise
Just like my shounen battle animus.
>>
>>150791946
>For you to be so buttblasted over this you must have received harsh criticism from an older peer of yours at one point in your life
Sure i did. If it was deserved i would take it into my heart. But taking shit from some irrelevant senile twat? You joking? I would tell him to fuck right off.

>As in our values change as technology changes. Our expectations change. It's black and white right fucking there in the video. Miyazaki, a 75 year old man, shows disgust in the idea of an AI replacing humans to create art. Meanwhile, the younger generation around him does not see the issue he sees. His values are different from theirs; he appreciates different things. And that is because they are from drastically different generations.

Hes just a n asshole and technologically illiterate. Ignorance isnt something new or lost to use, its an universal human nature.
Hes not disgusted since its too bizarre for him, hes faked disgust is to cover for his own stupidity and inability to see any applications for what is show to him, yet alone to understand how its made.
>Since you're defending those kids you probably don't give much of a shit about someone who spent years mastering their craft to create something.
He could be the world greatest anime maker to be ever born and i still wouldnt take any advice form him about anything computer related.
>Does Hokusai's woodblock prints mean anything to you?
Dont know, dont care.

>We can manufacture something like a woodblock print easily now, but in the early 1800s, that would have been a really special and inspiring thing to see. And that's just one example.
Thats not an example of changing values of a society. Replacing one form of media with another, or one art form with another dosnt change the fact people still get impressed with ones creativity and mastery of a craft.
You sound younger by the post by the way, im starting to doubt you have any work space experience at all.
>>
>>150792682
That whole exchange probably made him more motivated to impress Miyazaki
>>
>>150773662
that animations looks like shit

the rig is badly done and the movement looks like a rubber puppet.

it would look great in a terrible horror Game like resident evil 5 or shit like that.
but im sure not even BERSERK would use a terrible model like that
>>
>>150792768
>Infinite Stratos could totally be made by machines in 10 years.
Postmodernism can be generated by machines today already.
>>
>>150792816
Yes I agree it could help but maybe just do the annoying shit but still have creative control of everything else. Giving full control of AI is just asking for trouble.
>>
You're all spooked on a subconscious level. You watched 2D animation for so long, you became accustomed to it's flaws, and such the differences in execution and the new flaws in 3DCG are jarring for your minds.
>>
>>150792744
We are never going to be able to do that. Humanity is flawed, humans are flawed, what we create is flawed and that is the beauty of humanity. It is never the same, it is different every single time because we are not perfect and we make up for that with interpretations and personality.

Computers are pinpoint exact calculations, they will never be able to create a new music genre or artstyle alone, because they must love their flawed product.
>>
>>150792848
>It's not realistic so it's bad
Did you really just imply that?
>>
>>150773662
lol machine learning will eventually trigger all of us, but first it starts with workers not already jobless because of automation

Ghibli is seeing 'art' be destroyed in front of him, first with 'moe' and now with 'machine'
>>
>>150792531
It feels too linear, like the entire fight is happening on a one-dimensional plane.
>>
>>150774688
I agree that programmers are not the best at creating 'human' images like this or what Miyazaki was saying. It takes a human to understand the effort of something like he was describing, not everything like a obligatory idle stance or breathing animation, but actions.

It's a lot like the difference between Japanese animation in games and Western studios in action games. Japanese animation tends to favor spectacle, inertia and speed while Western studios usually go for a very blunt animation. "Buff guy swings a sword!"
>>
>>150792855
It probably made him realize hes too old and stupid to comprehend whats going on.
You can literally see his mind gears grinding trying to not call him an idiot, trying to not use words Miyazaki wont understand, and trying to not sound condescending while being ashamed for being insulted.
You are insane if you think they will ever meet again.
Entire thing is awkward as fuck to watch.
>>
>>150792920
>it's doing slow downs so it's bad
>the camera spins so it's bad
>the characters don't move like they were drawn frame by frame so it's bad
>>
>>150792985
You can see his mind gears holding back tears, not insults.
>>
>>150792869
Did you even watch it?
Its procedural, the point was to present a self learning algorithm that will try to move around with no input information. Not to show off fancy animations ...
>>
>>150774688
honestly, trying to make an AI that could generate realistic 3D animation is more creative than half of the stuff that came out this season
>>
>>150793035
Probably both
>>
>>150792121
That's completely irrelevant to the disscusion. It's not a matter of if it will replace 2d or not. The Question is if it looks good or not. He's asking why people said no, and thus far, the only actual, non bullshit response anybody has given is that "It's still causing an unantural seperation between the charaters and the background".

Which i disagree with, but hey, at least that's an actual reason that answers the question.
>>
>>150792784
>Chuck Jones
Well Miyazaki ""borrowed"" a lot of his philosophies on animation from him so...
>>
>>150792892
I'm surprised nobody made a deep learning program that does inbetweening. I thought that's one obvious application, but maybe it's not totally viable yet.
>>
>>150793081
And that is the reason he did not like it. That algorithm is not expressing pain in it's movement, it is not expressing anything. It is a mindless calculation.
>>
File: file.png (136KB, 496x200px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
136KB, 496x200px
>>150793081
yeah, and it looks like a shit rubber suit
it reminded me of that movie tusk
>>
>>150792214
>Get 10 great traditional animators to draw the same scene and they'll all look different. Get 10 great CG animators to do the same scene and they'll all churn put the same thin

There's literal proof that's that BS in this thread, compare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-PudD1UrvU with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlRU_J5qYg0 . Two CG animation studios, the same basic prompt, the same characters, made for the same event, vastly different results both in terms of the storyboard and in terms of actual animation style and general look and feel.

Per your point of why people can't name particular CG animatiors, the reason is because... They are also 2d animators. CG animation is storyboarded the exact same way 2d animation is most of the time, and the characters are usually drawn by 2d artists firsts as concept art, the same as in 2d animation. It's just after that step, everything else is made using 3d models/animation tools to match the art, vs just the actual frames being drawn via 2d. The actual animation directors and all that are the exact same people who would otherwise be working on or doing, or in many cases, STILL do 2d work to begin witth.

The actual talent involved is the same, the only change in terms of the people working on it is instead of handing off the actual work after that to korean contractors or junior artists as with 2d anime, it's handed off to 3d contract companies that occupy the same niche (except they do a better job, since they only need to get the model right once, vs with the koreon studios having off model shots all the time) or specific 3d arists in the studio, who, again, occupy the exact same niche, and like them, will eventually be promoted to animation directors themselves and will be recongized for their talent if they git gud.

1/2
>>
>>150775519
why do you think codemonkey is an insult that you can throw around? it's a class of tech people

as for the rest of your post, it must be said that what makes art 'art' isn't something as minor as how the work is created. It's the attention to detail, the creative mind of the person behind the work

does it matter if the artist used a generative process to fill in the details of his work if the highest amount of effort and attention to quality was executed?

the answer is, it doesn't. A medium is a medium, and AI becomes part of the medium, not the artist itself
>>
>>150793081
Then why even show it to an animator...
>>
>>150792956
It's a single cut.

>>150793002
Yes, trying to make up for boring movements and animation through shaking the camera around is bad.
>>
>>150775603
it was probably set up by the camera crew to try and trigger miyazaki, to get that juicy footage of him saying that it's the end times
>>
He gave birth to anime, now he must destroy it for its own good.
>>
>>150792768
>Look at something like Infinite Stratos. It's so generic it's painful. All the character archetypes have been done a thousand times already. All the character designs are fairly generic (look at the hundreds of Houkis for example). The plot is extremely generic. Infinite Stratos could totally be made by machines in 10 years.
Kind of fitting considering anime is essentially "what if the Animation Ghetto of the 70's never ended" after all; like a bunch of cold factories everywhere...
>>
>>150792917
>We are never going to be able to do that.

We have skeptics in every generation.

Humanity is only beautiful to humanity itself. Do you think humanity has already the apex of intelligence? We don't know, which is why we want to see if we can build something better than ourselves or if we can find space-faring extraterrestrial life.

And A.I.s don't have to bend to our notions, it just has to be smart.
>>
>>150793406
>He gave birth to anime
Here's your (You)
>>
>>150793170
How is it completely irrelevant? I was addressing something he said directly, you issue.

And it doesn't look good. At all.
>>
>>150793341
Found the calarts student studying CG desperately trying to pretend he's a real artist.
>>
I really hope Disney hire these guys and use this technology to win a Oscar just to see Miyazaki getting mad.
>>
File: iria-zeiram-4534.jpg (65KB, 745x574px) Image search: [Google]
iria-zeiram-4534.jpg
65KB, 745x574px
Get these fucking idiots, I swear young shitters these days have absolutely no respect for anything.

You fucking morons are talking about the man who defined the art and anime itself.

Years of experience against a bunch of butthurt self-sufficent moefaggot lolicons (pedophiles).
>>
File: 1433999969189.jpg (509KB, 978x1048px) Image search: [Google]
1433999969189.jpg
509KB, 978x1048px
>>150793538
>Oscar
>Meaning anything
>>
>>150793347
Since Miyazaki is a celebrity and he need to stuck his dumb face everywhere he goes.
So when he visited the IT company they showed him that as part of some presentation while cameras fallowed him around to show how smart he is while he gives amazing insightful commentary based on his 30 years of experience in programming and AI developmnt ...
Its trash tv, thats why. Do you even need to ask? Nobody expected he will act like a twat.
>>
>>150792852
>But taking shit from some irrelevant senile twat? You joking?
They chose to present it to him. It's on them. Miyazaki is not in the wrong for saying what he thought of it; by choosing to present to him they were basically asking him to comment on it. What do you want him to do, fucking lie?

>hes faked disgust is to cover for his own stupidity and inability to see any applications for what is show to him, yet alone to understand how its made.
I don't agree with your interpretation. It's too cynical and doesn't paint the full picture.

Yeah, he probably didn't grasp what he was shown. He does not understand what the newer generation is doing or how their work is equally as hard as his, he just sees the parts of their lives that were tough for him but are now made easier thanks to newer technology having automated it for them.

He also has decades more experience than them. He has worked hard and he is no longer easily impressed. Feigning disgust with that motive in mind is too complex for an old guy. He appreciates different things than they do and is not impressed by what they are doing.

>Dont know, dont care.
Thanks for basically proving my point on values changing over time. It takes someone who is more of a historian to even know about something like those prints because they are that irrelevant now.

But why are you responding then if you don't care? Your opinion is worthless on anything this thread is about if you don't care about the history of art, doing a little research or trying to understand what is being discussed.

>im starting to doubt you have any work space experience at all.
I have enough to identify you as a brat and a tool.
>>
>>150793341
>>150792214
Want an example? Watch Shin Godzilla, and Giant God Warrior Attacks Tokyo. Both are directed by Anno, and both clearly ooze his influence, yet instead of being 2d animated, one's all puppetry and pratical effects, and one's CG/Live action. The medium is just that: a medium. The talent and style will shine through regardless provided you actually have somebody competent doing it.

In short, you are blatently mischaracterizing not only how CG animation is made, but also 2d animation. It's rarely just 10 guys on equal levels all working on the same thing. It's a single animation director, maybe 2, making all the actual shots and decisions of how shit will look and play out, and then people under them making that happen. Same with 3d as it is with 2d as it is with claymation or stop motion. It's ALWAYS, no matter what the final medium, rooted and starts with 2 storyboards and concept art because it's way, way easier to draw up a sketch and refine it or start over then it is to do the same with a 3d model or animation or sculpture.

Similarly, the people who do the conceptual work or actually draw art or make the 3d models all go through the same process regardless of what medium the work on: They have portofolios they fill with original work they thought of or work they did for past projects, and then the send that to studios, and then they work on whatever the actual talent and heads of the studio are doing for them, and if they aren't fired right after the project is done since they are super dispoable, they MAYBE have a shot of becoming somebody actually calling the shots in the future there. Same process and preocedure for getting hired and moving up the ranks for 2d and 3d.

You've seen the images showing how different animation directors and their junior animatiors drew characters in DBZ on a per episode basis? How certain directors led to different proportions for characters? The exact same effect is shown in the two CG shorts.

2/2
>>
>we've created a program that could revolutionize human creation
>b-but my friend
What a delusional idiot. Miyazaki has become so bitter and angry about any animation technique or style that differs from his own, it's amazing. He's a complete narcissist, the only reason people keep digging him out from obscurity is because he's old and made 2 good films.
>>
>>150776388
this is an ancient meme. The fact it tags so many dumb newfags is sad though.
>>
I'm not even sure why they thought wasting his time with some terrible 3D CG bullshit was a good idea. It looks like someone just fucked around on adobe photoshop for an hour and called it a day.
>>
>>150793538
>disney
>wanting that shit

did you even saw the videos about the snow in froozen?

It took 6 years to do that
>>
>>150793298
A new type of car engine dosnt look like car and cant even drive by itself, does it mean its useless?
The fuck is your point.
>>
>>150793603
This better be bait.
>>
>>150790995
I don't even know what that is. In response I could post a variety of anime or even the shitty tweened children's shows. Would I then call 2D digital animation shit?

or go further and grab some 1970s shows? or maybe a flipbook?

get the fuck out of here dude, we're talking about potentials here
>>
>>150793436
>We have skeptics in every generation.
We also have thoughtless individuals who do not understand the concept of true progress as well.

Preach your imaginations and ideal view as much as you want because they are still not real and not tainted by a thing we call reality.

>Humanity is only beautiful to humanity itself.
Then why should we enjoy the work of an AI?
>Do you think humanity has already the apex of intelligence?
Yes, we just have more tools. Compared to our predecessors, are you so pretentious that you think they where all dumb as bricks?

>And A.I.s don't have to bend to our notions, it just has to be smart.
They have to, what if that smart thing for an AI is to work against us?
>>
File: whatthefuck.jpg (81KB, 1281x722px) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuck.jpg
81KB, 1281x722px
To be fair THIS is the CG they were showing him.
>>
>>150793526
Nope, i'm a NEE. I can't afford college and I have medical issues that mean I can't work, but it also means that I get to spend my time all day reading about whatever I want like an autist to inform myself on shit, and have fucked around enough in 3d software just for shits to know the workflow there.

>>150793451
So then explain what about it doesn't look good, don't whine about how it'll kill 2d animation.
>>
>>150793698
>Medium doesn't matter
>There's no technical, manual skill involved
For someone pretending to know stuff about art production, you're really stupid.
>>
>>150793737
>A new type of car engine dosnt look like car and cant even drive by itself
yeah, and it keeps hiting stuff every time. because is not finished yet

would they release it before fixing it, risking killing thousands of peoples??
>>
>>150793341
Sure the shorts are different in terms of animation style, but only as a whole compared to each other. All the animators in their respective shorts are bound to one unified style as it's harder to develop an individual style in CG animation due to the animation process being even more fragmented. In 2D animation, the animator is responsible for the model, movement, and layout. Sometimes they even have a say in coloring and lighting.

3D animators focus on making the movement from the models done by the modelers instead, that's already less room for individuality than 2D animation.
>>
>>150793801
>I'm an autistic NEET who read a CG animators blog and now pretend I know how art production works despite almost everything I said being bullshit
Even better
>>
Get these retarded Luddites outta here
>>
>>150774409
>>150774524
The animation is done by AI, nothing else is you retard.
>>
>>150793346
>why do you think codemonkey is an insult that you can throw around? it's a class of tech people
The term has been used as slang against programmers since the 90s. Basically, programmers sometimes think they are more artistic than the artists themselves and that they don't need them. But they are just codemonkeys.

Never dealt with a programmer like that before? Well, you should be thankful. They don't like being told that they have a poor eye for design.
>>
>>150793799
I feel like they were showing the wrong person, like they got co-opted into presenting to Miyazaki, after maybe one of their videos online got some attention

They're not advertising a product, after all, just trying to show something off. they couldn't find the right way to present it, in a way that relates to what Miyazaki actually does
>>
File: 1474313648888.jpg (100KB, 1024x700px) Image search: [Google]
1474313648888.jpg
100KB, 1024x700px
>>150793799
CG already looks grotesque without some AI controlling it. Their whole presentation was badly done with little to no preparation despite having more time to prepare since the AI was doing all the work.
>>
>>150793987
You know the alternative is that he's one of them and just lacks self awareness, right?
>>
>>150776167
I agree with this sentiment. But, I have to remark that your first statement is far better than what's happening here. CG Animation is a completely different skillset, but it's one that still allows for creative input from the modeler and the animator. While it cuts out traditional animators, it creates a new breed of animators.

Deep Learning AI does not. It's a machine learning actions according to goals, successes, failures, and evaluations of attempts. But there is a line between automating a craft and automating creativity. The neural network that learned how to tag illustrations by viewing millions of images on danbooru, for instance, compares patterns in images until it knows the difference between panties, pantyhose, and panties_under_pantyhose. That is a craft. Lots of tedious work done to provide a good service. Automating creativity is different though. Any job can have its share of "creativity", but when we automate to become "more productive", it's usually in utility. Printing press? Utility. Need more paper to write on. Telephone operators? Faster communication. Product production? Accuracy, safety, consistency.

But what happens when you automate anime creation? Game development? Story writing? Poetry? What happens when you try to make entertainment "more productive"? You just get more products. You have a new content creator that adds to the flood of content. Is it more creative? Who knows. Probably not, its work is based on shit from the past. Does quality go up? Subjective, but the AI can learn from your tastes and create things based on your ratings. It probably will over time.

There is no "new breed of creator" that comes into play here. It's a machine that outputs content based on desires with no need of human skill nor method. We free up the creative's time to create, but what else does he even desire to do? He was already a homeless bum on the street. What did you change? Where does humanity become more productive in this?
>>
>>150793812
Real ironic you are calling me stupid when you eiether didn't even bother to read the posts or are too dumb to understand what i'm saying.

Take a look at it again, i'll even cut out the unrelated stuff just so it's easier to understand:

>CG animation is storyboarded the exact same way 2d animation is most of the time, and the characters are usually drawn by 2d artists firsts as concept art, the same as in 2d animation....The actual animation directors and all that are the exact same people who would otherwise be working on or doing, or in many cases, STILL do 2d work to begin witth....

Wether the final product is 2d or 3d, the actual storyboards, IE, the shot composition, how things will animate and flow into each other, the keyframes, all of the ACTUAL IMPORTANT SHIT THAT MAKES GOOD ANIMATION, is done ahead of time before anything else in 2d. That's the step where actual animation directors influence the project, and they are equally involved in the exact same capacity regardless of if the final output is going to be in 2d or 3d or done with puppets or even in live action.
>>
>>150793170
Just keep moving those goal posts around anon
>>
Hand drawn, digital or not, will always look better.
>>
>>150774524
If art is a reflection of the human condition, then it getting replaced by machines speaks a lot of the human condition itself as well and that you''re being in denial about it. Sorry, old man, it's time to accept the post-cyberpunk post singularity future where humanity as you know it will soon be obsolete.
>>
>>150794096
Retarded luddite is still at it
>>
>>150794047
>It's done the same way
Except it's not. Saying "storyboards exist" isn't educating anyone about anything, you idiot. Do you actually know what an animation director does in anime?

Next time, try reading the blog about actual animation and not just CGshit.
>>
Has this guy ever said anything positive for something that's not his or friends work? He seems very angry about everything.
>>
>>150794096
More specifically, anything crafted by humans will always be better. This is why 100% procedural generated games will never be more entertaining than the best games with fully hand crafted worlds and environments out there.
>>
>>150793784
Your mother is my bait
>>
>>150793341
>the same basic prompt, the same characters, made for the same event, vastly different results
I meant more along the lines of, given an exact storyboard to follow, two animators would produce different results due to their idiosyncrasies, human imperfections etc. - things that are lost in CG. I'm sure a big reason that it took off in the West is because it produces that kind of consistency despite a large team, but I don't believe that's a good thing.
>CG animation is storyboarded the exact same way 2d animation is most of the time, and the characters are usually drawn by 2d artists firsts as concept art, the same as in 2d animation
And again, I'm not talking storyboards, I'm talking about the actual animation, the drawings themselves.
>instead of handing off the actual work after that to korean contractors or junior artists as with 2d anime, it's handed off to 3d contract companies that occupy the same niche
Right, right. Because cuts were just "handed off" to Otsuka or Mori, Kanada or Imaishi. The work was already done, they just needed to turn it into drawings. Seriously?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3v2Z7nlk7s
Give the same layouts to anyone but Ohira and this would look completely different.

>>150793698
>It's rarely just 10 guys on equal levels all working on the same thing
Obviously, that was just an example to illustrate what I believe is lost int CG.

>>150794240
Yes of course, so long as it's not bad.
>>
>>150793694
>They chose to present it to him. It's on them.
Seeing how its a part of some shitty tv show pseudo documentary that serves as glorified ad for his work i doubt they chose anything and were not forced to show of anything that can be considered animation related by their company boss.
What i expect him to do? Not to talk shit and be respectful how a normal person is expected to act. And not to insult employees of another firm, especially not on camera. What, not behaving like shithead is too much to ask?
>He appreciates different things than they do and is not impressed by what they are doing.
Yet nobody in that room called him out on his shit writing, incoherent characterization and lack of character development plaguing most of his works? Look at that, weird isnt it?

Im not sure what you on about with his value, him having a shitty character since hes old is not an excuse.

>Your opinion is worthless on anything this thread is about if you don't care about the history of art,
The fuck? Who gives a shit about history of art, also there is so many art forms form theater to sculpture nobody could ever be a specialist in them all. Stop cling to some obscure bit of information you happened to learn this weak as some sort of defense against reasonable discussion.
>doing a little research or trying to understand what is being discussed.
Funny, didnt know its a thread about some wood figures or some shit, must have missed it.
>I have enough to identify you as a brat and a tool.
How much? You sound like a kid, no joke here. Are you even out of school?
>>
>>150773662
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuZRNR-6iRo

Seems like this is a better way to machinize animation. Work with the animator, not replace them.

Video from a research paper done by Disney
>>
>>150794355
>I'm sure a big reason that it took off in the West is because it produces that kind of consistency despite a large team, but I don't believe that's a good thing.
It probably helps that CG animation is suited to creating the "illusion of life" that lots of western animators strive for.
>>
>>150794355
>Obviously, that was just an example to illustrate what I believe is lost int CG.
So you think there's no way the 10 guys doing CG would make different works?
>>
>>150793994
>I feel like they were showing the wrong person, like they got co-opted into presenting to Miyazaki, after maybe one of their videos online got some attention
It says Miyazaki is visiting some IT and media company, maybe even some game developer.
It looks more like the case of "show me what you are working on im fucking Miyazaki" while the company pr team went "fuck yeah, free advertising!".
Wouldnt be surprised if that presentation was scrambled form assets on the spot.
>>
the vast majority of 3DCG used in anime today is complete shit because they treat it as a way to cut as many expenses as possibly and churn out the cheapest, barely-acceptable version they can possibly get away with

if you spend tons of money on skilled CG staff and production facilities, you can do fucking amazing things with CG

just look at old Square or Blizzard stuff

it STILL blows just about all modern equivalent-content out of the water
>>
>>150794417
https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/disneyresearch/wp-content/uploads/20150401054413/BetweenIT-An-Interactive-Tool-for-Tight-Inbetweening-Paper.pdf

>A handdrawn version of the 29 inbetween frames in this shot took approximately an entire day to complete, while the version produced by BetweenIT was completed end-to-end in roughly 30 minutes
>>
>>150794577
And it's still garbage compared to have drawn.
>>
>>150794427
On the same project? Their output will probably be pretty uniform. Look at modern Disney, no one celebrates CG animators because they've been reduced to becoming just another cog in the machine. They have no room to express individuality unlike their 2D animation counterparts. Back then guys like Glen Keane, Mark Henn, or James Baxter were praised for their skills as animators as their work would stand out from the rest of the film but it's nearly impossible for a 3D animator to stand out when all he has to do is make some models move. It's a far more limited scope than what 2D animators had to do when each frame had to be made from scratch.
>>
>>150794669
I hope you don't mean Jap hand-drawn, since that's mostly garbage in itself.
>>
>>150794417
Some people in Japan have been looking at CacAni as the software solution for automated inbetweens.
>>
>>150794421
Exactly right. I hope I'm not coming off as anti-CG in general - it absolutely has its applications - but in terms of "animation" as an independent art form I think it should be avoided.

>>150794427
No, not to the extent that there would be using traditional methods. Forgive my analogy, analogies are always shit and irrelevant, but think about it like this: if you give a number of painters the exact same paints, canvas etc. and sit them down in front of the same landscape they'll turn up different works. Give this same landscape to a bunch of CG artists and they'll all render it in more or less the same way. Does that make sense? Do you disagree?
>>
AI that can animate itself will never be useful for anything more than the most derivative trash or background animation like random strangers walking on the other side of a street or whatever. At least, as far as the animation / TV and movie industry goes.
>>
>>150794674
>each frame had to be made from scratch
A majority of those are inbetween frames, not much creativity going on there.

In fact the more you try to "express yourself" the more jarring it becomes and fuck the whole flow.

Not every frame is drawn by Miyazaki or Imaishi or whoever. Most of it is almost entirely mechanical.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIUQZLNCRv4

Fire emblem: Fates had atrocious shading, but textures and everything else was ok
>>
>>150773662
Who cares what this old cuck has to say? Trump is the president now, we don't have to pretend to be nice to people we don't like anymore.
>>
>>150794669
At this point, I'm just inclined to believe this is just bad taste or an exaggeration of your preference.
>>
File: a.jpg (51KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
51KB, 800x450px
>>150793789
>We also have thoughtless individuals who do not understand the concept of true progress as well.

You have no idea what true progress is. No one does.

>Then why should we enjoy the work of an AI?
We don't, what we can enjoy is that we've built an AI. Whether it'll give subpar results, or replace humanity, is of no relevance.
>Yes, we just have more tools.
We are only at the local apex, not the global apex. If you take intelligence as our main focus as a species, you'll notice we're actually stranded. Intelligence isn't as important as beauty and sociability. Which is why AI could revolutionize things - Intelligence wouldn't be a means of survival or a byproduct of it, it'd be an existential goal.

>They have to, what if that smart thing for an AI is to work against us?
They'll win. It'll be smart enough to make you believe it's for the best.
>>
He's right. The animation those guys did is just complete shit.
>>
>>150794669
shit quality hand-drawn is just as bad as shit quality CG

it just appears worse now because shitty CG has been getting cheaper and cheaper to the point where it ends up getting used more

have you already forgotten how truly awful QUALITY used to be?

high quality CG can look just as good as high quality hand-drawn if it's used right
>>
>>150794814
I don't think he and certainly not I are claiming that all hand drawn animation is good and valuable, just that the potential for goodness and valuableness is lost when it's generated by a computer.
>>
>>150774286
If the type of work you're doing is replaceable by machines then you're not an artist, you're a tradesman.
>>
>>150793858
I don't think that's accurate, because you are making a generalization about the layout of art teams that I don't think is correct. Depending on the specifics of the project, either setup you described could be the case regardless of if the final result will be 2d or 3d. If you have a 2d team animating an existing manga, for example, then the thing you brought up about how there's less freedom for the underlings to devolp their own style is true, because there's already set character designs and to an extent, a "storyboard" in the sense of the manga panels to follow. In that situation, you actually WANT to be there to be as little variance in style as possible. Alternatvely, it'

On the other hand, for smaller CG teams, there are definately cases where the people doing the storyboarding, modelling and character designs and animations are all the same group of people and there's wiggle room for stylistic devolpment. Even if it is the exact situation you describe for a CG studio anyways, there's still a degree of collbarotion and experimention for people outside of that role to pitch suggestions. It'd be even easier for 3d then for 2d since for 3d it's just a matter of changing the render settings or shaders or the animation files, hitting play/doing a test render, and then either deciding "yeah that works" and sticking with the change, or hitting the undo button.

>>150794090
I'm not moving goal posts though. The original question asked was "why does this look bad to you", not "why do you think this is bad for the industry".

>>150794355
>I meant more along the lines of, given an exact storyboard to follow, two animators would produce different results due to their idiosyncrasies, human imperfections etc. - things that are lost in CG. I'm sure a big reason that it took off in the West is because it produces that kind of consistency despite a large team, but I don't believe that's a good thing.

I think my reply to 150793858 above addresses this well
>>
>>150773662
Is he communist?
>>
>>150775672
>comparing a typewriter, a machine used by an artist to write faster, to an AI, a machine that will replace the artist itself.
>>
>>150794943
>the potential for goodness and valuableness is lost when it's generated by a computer
I agree, but I'm saying there are large parts of the work that can be computerized and you won't lose even a fraction of that.

I don't agree with the way these guys or 3DCG anime is doing it, however. They sour the whole concept of computer-aided animation and now all the serious guys like Miyazaki avoid them like the plague, thinking this is all there is to it.
>>
>>150794849
>we don't have to pretend to be nice to people we don't like anymore
Being a dick to the elderly is for vain shitlords.
>>
>>150795096
>a machine that will replace the artist itself
That's not going to happen for a LONG time. Anybody actually in the AI field will know this. The only people claiming this is happening anytime soon are clickbait journalists or startup "idea guys" trying to rob a VC with too much money on his hands.

Everybody actually doing AI knows that we're barely past the point of glorified autocomplete typewriters.
>>
I feel so bad for him, the medium he helped build is now turning it's back on actual artists.

I agree that it is stubbornness, too but it must be hard to see a medium change so much for the sake of money, that's how the bussiness work but he's not supposed to like it. At least it's very probable that not even his son will be alive to watch it happen.
>>
>>150794965
Again, I'm talking about "animation" - the art of movements that are drawn - nothing else. Of course CG teams can come up with creative layouts and character designs or whatever, but the movement itself is generated, not drawn.

>>150795235
What would you have computerized? Inbetweens? Colouring? I dunno man, I don't buy it. I think it could only ever be considered good in the context of cost or time saving. I'm more of a romantic when it comes to the arts so I prefer not to think of those things; my general opinion (and I think what Miyazaki believes) is that creative activities should not be considered an obstacle or a pain in the ass to get out of the way, but parts of the process that should be given the time and attention they deserve.
>>
>>150795096
You do realize before the press there were people whose job was to manually copy text, right?

And I still can't understand how someone can think an AI that learns to draw can be a bad thing.

If you want personality you can probably hire your favourite artists to draw concept art for the series and teach the machine to draw like that. And noone said you have to use that as a final result, you can go back and fix things you do not like manually.

The ability to replace animators is important though it allows the machine to do the boring parts faster and better than the underpayed koreans, and allows for good writers who do not know how to animate to express their creativity.

As >>150795415 says though it won't happen in a long time.
>>
>>150795415
This. AI lacks the creativity of a writer or animator, it just helps him out.
>>
>>150795549
>AI lacks the creativity of a writer or animator
For now.
>>
>>150795532
>And I still can't understand how someone can think an AI that learns to draw can be a bad thing
It's not a bad thing. Seems more like a useless thing. What practical functionality could that have in the TV / movie animation industry aside from making derivative works cheaper to produce and thereby increasing the amount of derivative works available?
>>
>>150795584
AI is unlikely to ever possess any real creativity. You need a neural network (a brain) for that.
>>
>>150795584
>The sun hasn't gone supernova yet
For now.
>>
>>150795584
They will only ever replace shitty artists.
>>
gonna leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU
skip to 11:15 for creativity
>>
>>150794965
I disagree about your point on teams working with adapting an existing property such as manga. Firstly, storyboards don't have to follow the manga panels and any director worth his salt will make appropriate changes in adapting things to the animated medium. Of course, this is applicable in both 2D and 3D animation.

Now with as for the designs themselves, it's not much of a barrier to drawing creativity when 2D animators are given free reign to interpret the designs. It's not uncommon to see anime episodes with talented animators having scenes that look different in terms of drawing style. Look at Hiroshi Ikehata's episode 37 of Zettai Karen Children for instance. It's a manga adaptation, but that didn't stop the likes of Jun Arai, Hironori Tanaka, and Hokuto Sakiyama imposing their personal drawing styles on their scenes. In 3D animation, it would be a lot harder to apply individual styes across scenes due to the animation process being fragmented across modeling, texturing, animating, and lighting departments. 2D animators on the other hand have a lot more control over their scenes.
>>
>>150793858
>In 2D animation, the animator is responsible for the model, movement, and layout. Sometimes they even have a say in coloring and lighting.

It is strange how you are implying that the same isn't true for 3D even if a 3D animator is stuck with one model (protip: they aren't) that still leaves movement, layout, coloring, and lighting which can literally all be changed even in the middle of making a scene. Lights are virtual and can be moved shaders can give a completely different feel with a few variable changes, layout and movement are even easier to mess with when you have a well designed 3D model and a virtual stage with a camera that can be freely adjusted to give the desired effect.
>>
>>150795522
Inbetweens, to an extent. There's no room for creativity in that process and ideally should only serve as a stepping stone for young animators to hone their line control before being promoted to key animation.
>>
>>150794417
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX9mmKX2-7U

Here's an example with Ryo Timo, one of the main animators of Yozakura Quartet. You can see some examples of his work here >>150770331
>>
>>150795586
I already said it in my post, it can allow good writers who would otherwise not be noticed to make good anime and the average quality of the anime will go up, at least the animation part of it.

>>150795624
> a neural network (a brain)
I hope you are not talking about the current NNs.
Also it kinda bothers me to hear that an AI has no creativity, because it has more creativty that any human, it just doesn't have the ability to recognize if those ideas are good (yet).
>>
>>150794761
>Give this same landscape to a bunch of CG artists and they'll all render it in more or less the same way. Does that make sense? Do you disagree?
I do in fact disagree. I understand where you're coming from, but assuming the CG animators are starting from scratch without any premade objects to use, it will vary. They will still imprint their own artistic image in their work. Especially with a medium like anime which is already removed by several degrees of realism from the original, and for the better, variance will change. If you told the CG animators to make it look as photographically realistic as possible, it would be much more similar. But if you use the same parameters for exaggeration and deviation from the original, or basis, as anime, I believe you will get works just as varied. The way in which they are different will not be the same, but it will still be just as different. This is assuming the CG artists have the same variance among each other as the painters. I do understand that because CG allows for more precision, it won't be quite as varied, but it also allows the variances in the good traits of the artists to be amplified. For example, no one will have an eye look wonky, or an arm look out of shape, but the the individual "visions" they have for the work will be even more pronounced. Because CG allows for more precision, it means that artists will not be limited by the medium as much. a painter can only use paints and brush strokes, but the CG artist can you absolutely any shape he can think up. Mind you, I do love hand drawn animation, a lot. I understand why everyone loves hand drawn and is skeptical of CG, but I also can see that CG has many good aspects of it's own.
>>
>>150774409
Look up the MASSIVE software, used to create convincing crowds of 1000+ CG models.

Used in Lord of the Rings, Avatar and so on. AI definitely has its place in animation.
>>
>>150795532
An AI that could actually draw is also not gonna happen in a long time. You'd probably need more concept art than the amount of frames the artist would need to draw.

It could draw inbetween frames though, and most people would be fine with that.
>>
>>150795773
>that Cintiq
daaaaaaaamn
>>
>>150777931
He's somewhat right.
>>
>>150795522
Yeah, inbetweening. There is really almost zero creativity needed for inbetweening. It's really not something that fits with your notions of "artists in touch with their inner selves expressing their deepest feelings", it is pure grunt mechanical work you give to interns you pay with cup noodles.
>>
>>150795689
The song in the background is generic elevator music. What was the point of this video again?
>>
AI doesn't magically turn a bad writer or bad animator into a good one.

You need to tell it what to do and how and it works to fill in between the key frames, like how many studios outsource animation work to third work countries.

How hard is this to understand?
>>
>>150795863
People have always questioned themselves and their existence. Miyazaki is not nearly as deep and philosophical as he thinks he is.
>>
>>150795700
>the animation process being fragmented across modeling, texturing, animating, and lighting departments

What makes you think that everything is split into departments like that?

>2D animators on the other hand have a lot more control over their scenes.

I don't know how you can possibly believe this when 2D animation is much harder to change when you don't like the result.
>>
/3/ btfo
>>
Should I just give up on being an animator?
>>
>>150795965
And a pedophile like you who watch MOEshit and haremshit certainly is.
>>
>>150795990
I wanted to be one, but animation in america has gone to shit. i rather pretty much illustrate and think of stories without the SJWs and progressives trying to cultural enrich my work. Cartoon Network for example.
>>
File: tumblr_ntsllyibiZ1qav3uso1_1280.jpg (630KB, 1055x1201px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ntsllyibiZ1qav3uso1_1280.jpg
630KB, 1055x1201px
>>150795825
The drawing part might take a long time, but we can take shortcuts in the style part.

Right now we have pretty good methods based on somewhat simple techniques, in the future we will probably be able to extract the style from a couple of concept art drawings.

Pic related is from https://arxiv.org/abs/1508.06576
>>
File: 1475966166065.jpg (36KB, 511x509px) Image search: [Google]
1475966166065.jpg
36KB, 511x509px
>>150795883
>AI is creating music (something creative) you cant distinguished from human made music
>b-but its generic so its doesn't count
>>
>>150795990
Just draw/animate porn insted.

Until AI takes over that department as well.
>>
File: [crying intensifies].png (186KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
[crying intensifies].png
186KB, 500x281px
>people complaining about things like "soul" and nitpicking instead of talking about the principles of animation

How many of you are just shitposters?
>>
>>150795965
Nice namecalling. Here's your (You)
>>
giving animators the credit for a good anime is like giving credit for a building to a construction worker instead of its architect.
>>
>>150796158
Call me when it makes something actually impressive (i.e. actually creative). Until then this is just a joke.
>>
>>150796267
reading this post was like hitting myself in the head with a hammer
>>
>>150796109
This works for pictures but I don't think it works for frames that need to have consistency between them. You can have two successive frames that look the same "style" but doesn't mesh together at all.

Maybe some sort of rough coloring that gets touched up by a human down the pipeline.
>>
Nobody even claimed that artists will be replaced by machines; they're honestly the last professionals that should worry about being replaced. At the very worst illustrators will be.

In most cases, the output of a machine is never gonna be the final product when used by companies that aren't hacks. It will take consultation and manual tweaking from experts in the field.

Computer scientists work hard to advance new tools for the benefit of a variety of fields. It isn't lazy to offer to new tools and methods, even if companies will use them poorly.

The grotesque animation is a work in progress, which I hope most of you understand. What you may not know is that it takes a long time of feeding AI information for it to recognize and develop the patterns it needs to function gracefully.
>>
>>150796357
CGI is shit lmao
>>
>>150776332
is that the teeth girl
>>
Imagine if when the wright brothers made the first airplane, everybody laughed at them and said "What a piece of shit, it can't even stay up for 13 seconds. Planes are the machine of the future? YEAH RIGHT, HAHAHAHA!".
>>
>>150795973
>What makes you think that everything is split into departments like that?
Check the credits from any CG production next time. Even Disney or Pixar will do just fine.

>I don't know how you can possibly believe this when 2D animation is much harder to change when you don't like the result.
That does not go against my claim at all. 2D animation is pretty much done from scratch for each frame which makes it harder to reshoot. Any scenes with unsatisfactory animation will have to be done all over again whereas 3D animators are more like puppeteers where they just need to animate the models an not worry about making another model from scratch.
>>
>>150796429
No that's Luluco, the teeth girl is from Kare Kano you baka.
>>
>>150776213
No, most people study art to get more practice and to network. You network to get a job.
>>
>>150795753
>movement, layout, coloring, and lighting which can literally all be changed even in the middle of making a scene.
Which as done by different people. 3D animation is even moreso the combined effort of multiple people so it's harder for an individual to project his style onto a scene in a whole project. The 3D workflow necessitates more style unity.
>>
>>150796429
come on man
>>
>>150795244
Being polite to the undeserving is for cucks.
>>
>>150796357

Additionally, there already exist computer-generated design methods that aren't actively replacing any designers, but are instead providing designers with tools that can offer variety or a unique experience. Admittedly, these things apply more to interactive media, but at the same time the people in the video offer games as a potential use of this technology anyway.
>>
>>150796437
>Wright brothers

It was Santos Dumont, though.
>>
>>150796357
I think this particular case is on the wrong track. The best 3D won't look like 2D, the quality might be very good but it's not the same product. There are ways to make tools that actually assist 2D animation, but building them on top of 3D animation isn't one of them.

If these guys had made an automatic inbetweener or rough colorer that is specifically made to cater to 2D animators I'm sure Miyazaki would be a lot more receptive. But they're already starting down the wrong path.
>>
>>150796322
Yep, we are not quite there right. But the NLP crowd is looking pretty hard for ways to combine deeplearning with long term dependencies.
And when the crowd of artificial vision finally solve it they will probably jump to the video train, it's the logical step.
>>
>>150795990
you sure as fuck shouldn't do it as a job, if that's what you're asking

as a hobby? go nuts
>>
>>150795883
What is your favorite type of music anon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkI09S4o9WE
>>
>>150796109
what paintings are these?
>>
>>150796539
Having an opinion you don't like =/= undeserving.
>>
>>150795990
Replacement won't happen for a loong time. Doesn't concern you.
>>
>>150796539
Are you aware of who Miyazaki is?
Very few people in animation more deserving of respect.
>>
>>150796300
>can't give any valid argument
>so I'm just gonna call the music made by a bot created in 2005 unimpressive and a joke.
wew lad
>>
>people actually still believe humans can do anything that machines cant do

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/japanese-ai-writes-novel-passes-first-round-nationanl-literary-prize/
>>
File: more info.jpg (578KB, 1197x1678px) Image search: [Google]
more info.jpg
578KB, 1197x1678px
>>150796611
They are a render of the top left photo (A) in the styles of inset small images.

literally read the link
>>
>>150796610
I like many different genres.

Computers will never make artists obsolete and will never compete with them because they lack the human element. They can only replace simpler things like elevator music. They will never replace musicians like David Bowie or Jeff Beck, Black Sabbath or Queen, Stevie Ray Vaughan or Miles Davis, Mozart or Beethoven, etc. Maybe you think I'm being silly for bringing this up, but I am starting to wonder if people really do think computers will some day make artists obsolete. If so, I'm sorry to hear how ignorant you are of higher art.
>>
>>150796598
The latest NLP models can barely process more than 20 words in sequence without freaking out, and this is with stuff like attention networks. Imagine this for hundreds of frames.

It's possible that something revolutionary might happen in the near future, but judging by the tools we have and whatever incremental upgrades might happen, the mountain's higher than we think.
>>
File: 030203_macrossplus03.jpg (20KB, 400x339px) Image search: [Google]
030203_macrossplus03.jpg
20KB, 400x339px
>>150797038
>>
>>150794711
No, I mean all that wonderful have drawn western animation like adventure time and Steven universe.
>>
personally I think the biggest problem with the presentation was the lack of preparation, I mean Miyazaki most likely just didn't understand what the man was trying to accomplish. Both sides are at fault no one is to blame.
>>
>>150795628
Actually the sun will never go supernova. It's too small for that. maybe you're thinking about becoming a red giant.
>>
>>150797341
shut the fuck up nerd
>>
>>150797038
With current and near furture tech no.

But you can't say how much AI will advance far in the future so it MAY happen.
>>
BASED MIYAZAKI
>>
>>150795813
But you're wrong. Look at it in practice. We have animators and schools of animation, and animation techniques that people recognize because of the skill and vision the animator. No one watched CG and thinks "Oh man, there's that signature distorted style with lots of stretching and think black outlines the characters that X animator uses for action scenes." it's always just "Oh look, the camera is spinning around because it's easy to do that on a 3D background." CG doesn't lend itself to actual creativity like hand drawn does, only cheap camera manipulation make up for a lack of style.

Feel free to hit me with actual counter examples instead of quoting a blog you read about how CG is totally legit and a comparable artistic process.
>>
File: 1480244742314.jpg (9KB, 182x185px) Image search: [Google]
1480244742314.jpg
9KB, 182x185px
>>150773662
>show tech which would allow less work and for more natural animation for media that uses 3D
>use AI to animate this by making there programming move in directions
>its turns out they feel no pain so they use their entire bodies to walk across rooms
>looks creepy
>think it can atleast for now be used for vreppy creatures in some film
>miyazaki has actually had works with evil/creepy looking creature move around
>show it off to him
>gets overemotional and cries about his disabled friend which the movement reminded him of
>he gets insulted for no reason
>tells you to fuck off because hes a hippies faggot who gets too sentimiental over irrelevent crap
oh and at the end of all this
"i think we're are reaching the end days"
if this is how hes going to act he should honestly just fucking retire
this is almost as bad as george lucas tier shit
and i hope his future works dont end in the same fate
>>
>>150795813
When I made the analogy I had more in mind something like realism, yeah. I'm not talking Van Gogh and Picasso here.
>>
adapt or be replaced
>>
>>150797459
It would have to be indistinguishable from a human. An imitation of a human being on the molecular level with the opportunity to grow and live in society from childhood to adulthood just as humans do. In short, it has to be a human, not an AI.
>>
>>150797038
If by, human element, you mean a dude on stage then sure but otherwise, AI will get close to the same level if not above the level of most musicians.
Its only a matter of time.
And don't get me wrong human artist will stick around forever and make great stuff for generations to come. I just think that at some point AI will either argument them (composing, songwriting) or be in direct competition to them.

Just look at vocaloids, a few decades ago people would call you crazy if you would tell them that a singing computer could fill a stadium but here we are.
>>
>>150797038
>Computers will never make artists obsolete and will never compete with them because they lack the human element.

Musicians and music are two very different things.

If the thing you like about music is rockstars or celebrity then sure no computer algorithm will ever be able to consume cocaine and alcohol at their level. But if you are talking purely about music then there is no real reason why human "creativity" cannot be surpassed by the proper application of algorithms and RNG.

The music made by your list of favorites is simply the inputs (language, culture, musical influences, style, genre etc.) fed through the human machine and then output through the tools at hand (voice, instrument, modulation).
It is the extremes of hubris on your part to think that there is some spark that makes human music that can't be simulated in a way to make it indistinguishable from machine made music.

This means all you need to turn machine music into a worldwide sensation is to get a particularly (charismatic) human to sing the lines written by a computer. You can even let the computer play bass because nobody will notice if the bassist is replaced by a animatron bolted to the floor.
>>
>>150797775
Actually a fair sentiment, I feel. AI is only going to work off existing patterns. Art should be concerned with continually finding new means of expression, as machines will be able to emulate (even if poorly) a well-established style.
>>
>>150797887
>>150797873
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL5YKZ9ecpg
>>
Dwango Kawakami's fucking upset face made me so laugh.
>>
Considering the current tools in computing and animation out there - these guys presenting what is clearly a product not delivering to Miyazaki it should be treated with disgust and insult. They are passing off their failure as a feature.

"You're seriously selling me your failure as a feature? Gtfo kids."
>>
>>150798025
>Vocaloid

No, if anything what vocaloid is instrumentalizing (is that even a word) Vocals. You still need a good human to arrange the voice.
>>
>>150798025
But how much drugs does she do? We need to sell those tabloids.
>>
>>150798204
could that lead to a case of a bot ruining the job of another bot?
>>
>>150798171
An AI could most certainly sequence her voice in a pattern that matches common vocals, but it would be utterly unintelligible without a very long time of teaching it both musical patterns and speech/language patterns.
>>
>>150798025
>>150798330
Also vocaloid vocals are pre recorded. I'm still waiting for one madman to arrange on the fly live.
>>
>>150797873
>If by, human element, you mean a dude on stage then sure but otherwise, AI will get close to the same level if not above the level of most musicians.
What a rudimentary understanding of musicians. The artists I named were not just "dudes on stage". Their artistry is to be recognized in their cultural relevancy of their respective times, the technical and creative boundaries they pushed in their medium, the principles and techniques they redefined, AND the beautiful music that they produced (made beautiful because of what they express and communicate through it; something relatable to humans). That is all what the "human element" includes there. Computers aren't human; they LACK all of that.

>>150797887
>But if you are talking purely about music then there is no real reason why human "creativity" cannot be surpassed by the proper application of algorithms and RNG.
Computers don't understand the human condition because they aren't human yet. That is a real reason why they will never surpass us. If I heard a song generated entirely by a program singing about some tragedy, I wouldn't take it seriously because I know what wrote it isn't even human. What would it know about tragedy? Or any other emotion for that matter.

And it would also not impress me. Computers don't "work hard" like humans do. Generating the song would not "take effort" for it in the way that we understand effort. That is another aspect of the experience of great art.

Beauty is precisely that which we find pleasurable. Higher pleasures cannot be replicated by a computer. They can only satisfy people with low quality standards of art that just want to hear something like >>150796610 something mind numbing and lacking anything that is really human in quality.
>>
>>150798426
If I get what you're saying, a human is someone/thing that understands the human condition regardless whether it's organic or just a mass of silicone?
>>
>>150798592
See >>150797827

Basically. But in order for it to understand that condition it can't just be a mass of silicone. It needs to simulate everything that makes us human.
>>
>>150798655
fair point
>>
>Miyazaki generating shitposting like no others
Always based.
>>
>>150798426
>>150798655
I get your point but what if you don't know that the song was written and composed by an advanced AI and simply performed by humans, could you really always tell the difference?

also what about mass media, where lower quality standards are arguably the norm.
>>
>>150774559
>defending them this hard

They literally went in there asking to be spat at their faces.

AI will never be able to replace human animation because it doesnt have a human brain nor the factors that this one has.
The unpredictability, passion, angle buests etc.
For AI animation to even be able to happen first you need to make actual AI that works, like a Roboto or something like that.

What a waste of time and resources.
>>
>>150799289
so how about giving the AI what it should animate
something that shows the important parts of the scene and what is suppose to happen, what the setting is, what kind of angle you want and how the "camera" is moving something revolutionary i call it Storyboard.
>>
Machines can think in a way different to our own, I think that's cool and worth exploring.
>>
>>150799893
>giving the AI instructions
>>
>>150798426

>What would it know about tragedy? Or any other emotion for that matter.

Plenty of humans sing about things only having gotten their knowledge from popular culture. Most songs across the genre spectrum (country, rap, emo, hardcore) are fiction or distorted reality or written by some white guy in an office. Claiming that it muh human condition is BS.

All i have to do is write a story about how my musician(AI) grew up in poverty and took some hard knocks and you will eat that shit with a shovel.

>work hard

What about a piece of music that a human worked really really hard on but sounds like shit? Can you say that you would enjoy that more than something that sounds great but wasn't human?

>Beauty cant be replicated by a computer.

Comes off as really funny when written on the board that invented the 3DPD meme.

>mind numbing and lacking anything that is really human in quality

One more thing in common with computers and humans; both are great at making mind numbing bullshit.
>>
i like how most "arguments" against AI are just muh feelings and muh creativity when 90% of the media is just formulaic and a remix of a remix
>>
>>150799999
>i have no talent so others shouldn't
>>
>>150798426
>Beauty cant be replicated by a computer.
http://turing.deepart.io/

i like you to keep in mind that this is still early tec
>>
>>150800097
oh sorry that i hurt your feelings, should i leave so that your save space of ignorance will stay intact?
>>
>>150799999
>I like how most discussions of art revolve around emotion and style and aren't 1's and 0's
You're a special kind of stupid.
>>
>>150800231
>implying we are talking about art
animation in itself is just a process
Thread posts: 529
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.