[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Nausicaa the greatest sci-fi manga ever written? Nevermind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12

File: nausicaa.jpg (517KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
nausicaa.jpg
517KB, 1600x1200px
Is Nausicaa the greatest sci-fi manga ever written? Nevermind how solid the story and characters were, the setting and worldbuilding are head and shoulders above anything else I've seen from anime.
>>
>>150711899
>the setting and worldbuilding are head and shoulders above anything else I've seen from anime.

Watch more anime then newfag.
>>
>>150712863
I've seen over 500 anime, and nothing has proved me otherwise.
>>
I wish the manga was adapted into an anime. The manga was very thick and confusing, and tbqh Miyazaki sucks at manga paneling and story boarding. He's an animation director, not a manga artist.
>>
>>150714082
>500 anime
come back when you're in the 1000 club and you can claim this
>>
File: image057.png (670KB, 1611x1077px) Image search: [Google]
image057.png
670KB, 1611x1077px
>>150714515
>The manga was very thick and confusing

What was confusing about it?

>Miyazaki sucks at manga paneling and story boarding.

No idea what you're on, the art was gorgeous.
>>
Nausicaa was good. But I've seen plenty of anime that surpassed it in world building.

The thing people tend to forget when they focus so hard on world building is there still needs to be a solid plot and character development in that world. The best 'world building' comes from how the characters interact with the world. Not just tons of pretty scenery shots and technobabble descriptions of how the world works. In this way, I'd actually say something like Slayers or Princess Tutu was far superior to Nausicaa. Movie or manga.
>>
File: 35840076_p0.jpg (505KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
35840076_p0.jpg
505KB, 800x600px
I love Nausicaa
>>
>>150715047
>art
>paneling
>the same thing

it's like the difference between shot composition and the sharpness of the picture
>>
>>150711899
Nausicaa's setting worked for the first half, until they decided to bring in all the mystical magical pre-apocalyptic tech and psychic powers. Stuff like the Heedras and psychic Chikuku and Master of the Garden all felt like plot devices more than actual parts of the setting.

I also have to question why people think Nausicaa has "solid characters". Most of them like Selm and Chikuku weren't even actual characters, just plot devices.
>>
>>150714564
>a-a-a bigger number then!
>>
>>150714515
Good lord this is bland critic.

>not an artist
All
Pencil
Drawn
>>
>>150715549

The biggest flaw in Nausicaa is everything revolves around Nausicaa. Which causes the two issues you just pointed out. Miyazaki fixed this with later stories. Especially Porco Rosso, where Porco is more just an observer of all the chaos going on around him, willing to just ignore it and sleep on his island care free. And only gets drawn into it when Curtis comes out of nowhere and destroys his plane.

Whereas in Nausicaa, she is the focal point of everything. Thanks to the whole destiny plot. Which is funny, since the character she is based on is an incidental part of the Odyssey. And its Odysseus (main character of the Odyssey) who has the same problem Nausicaa has. All the worlds events and gods focus on him. He does tons of shit wrong and constantly needs Athena to bail him out, but is still called a genius.
>>
>>150714515
Oh my yes what terrible drawings
>>
>>150714515
Really, who does this animation director think he is? Trying to be an artist. Gee wiz.
>>
>>150715720
Everything revolves around Nausicca
Are you sure you read it. There's an entire act with out her in it.
>>
>>150714515
Once again my friend, I too, cannot stand it when animation directors try to artists. Completely ruins my day.
>>
>>150715749
>>150715782
>Miyazaki sucks at manga paneling and story boarding
Learn to read, faggots. And judging by those images, he's right. The second image especially appears to jump around confusingly from panel-to-panel.
>>
>>150715976
It's like you've never read manga.
>>
>>150716007
It's like you don't know the difference between effective art and effective panelling. Miyazaki is definitely a pretty nice artist as those images show, but the panelling is sub-par. Doesn't mean the Nausicaa manga is shit or anything, just don't act like a sperg when someone criticizes something you like.
>>
>>150715749

He's talking about panel layout. Miyazaki draws every panel as if its a self contained landscape. Drawn amazing well yes. But most manga has a structure to it. It isn't just a bunch of good drawing thrown together.

There's also something called the rule of thirds that artists learn basically day one. And the short version is, to have variety, don't draw every single image with the focal point in the center. But notice the image you just posted? Every single panel has the focal point directly in the center. The plane is flying in the center. Mehve is in the center. The soldier talking is in the center... Over many pages, this becomes predictable and boring. You won't be able to notice shifts in action and dialogue. Its like the Star Wars prequels.
>>
>>150716072
Lel

Modern manga has bigger panels. That pleases you, yes?
You've been spoiled.
>>
>>150716158
Are you even reading these posts? The panelling sucks, go have a sook about it and maybe you'll realize it doesn't matter that much.
>>
>>150716111
>every panel is a self contained landscape
You've described a bad thing? Even then, there are incremental panels as well. It's not all flashy war scenes.
>>
>>150716228
Seriously m8, he provides multiple diverse angles that paint a 3 dimensional scene.
>>
>>150715720
>The biggest flaw in Nausicaa is everything revolves around Nausicaa.

I suppose that's true. My problem with Nausicaa was that she just wasn't very interesting as a character. She's just this perfect hero who saves everyone and is loved by everyone and is always right, and rarely ever feels deeply conflicted about her actions. Even the ending, despite how "shocking" it was, she still came across as being headstrong and self-righteous. She wasn't as interesting as Kushana or hell even Kurotawa, both of which are far more complex characters. Fuck, even Emperor Vai was more interesting.
>>
>>
File: pathetic.jpg (21KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
pathetic.jpg
21KB, 500x400px
>>150715719
>>150715749
>>150715782
>>150715957
Samefag, please.
>>
>>150716358
And as I pointed out here>>150715976, it doesn't read very well.
>>
>>150716396
That was obviously the same poster, and making more than one post isn't verboten or anything.
>>
>>
>>150716396
Why hide it?
>>
>>150716389

Fucking brutal. Can't imagine how excruciating choking to death on that miasma must be.
>>
>>150716399
Left right down
Left right down
Left right down
>>
>>150711899
And then they were eleven was pretty good.
>>
>>150716264

>You've described a bad thing?
If you put it into context with the rest of my post. Which you seem incapable of reading an entire post.
>>
>>150716374

>My problem with Nausicaa was that she just wasn't very interesting as a character. She's just this perfect hero who saves everyone and is loved by everyone and is always right, and rarely ever feels deeply conflicted about her actions.
Yeah, that's why I compared her to Odysseus. The ideal hero never questions themselves or their role in life. But that also makes them bland. The movie version had Nausicaa question herself a little more though.
>>
>>150716571
I never agreed with you on that context.

Left right down.
>>
File: FSS Book VIII -55.jpg (623KB, 1093x1499px) Image search: [Google]
FSS Book VIII -55.jpg
623KB, 1093x1499px
>>150711899
>the setting and worldbuilding are head and shoulders above anything else I've seen from anime.

FSS pulls off the Dune setting much better imo.
>>
>>150716539
>it's flipped
Well now it makes a lot more sense. Much better.

It's still not particularly good, and I still don't get your butthurt, but the original anon who said he sucks at panelling is wrong. It's sub-par, but it doesn't suck.
>>
>>150716614
She fell into states of despair 2 to 3 times. The manga was far more tragic.
>>
>>150716701
>states of despair 2 to 3 times

She does, but it isn't convincing. She never loses her resolve and marches through everything with iron will. She's too flawless to be sympathetic as a character.
>>
>>150714515
The panelling is only part of the problem. The bigger problem is that the characters in each individual panel don't really stand out from their backgrounds. So in effect it's hard to focus on them as individual characters and not objects in the background. Just look at >>150715957

There's also the huge-ass text bubbles that fill up the whole page occasionally (a lot of times for characters speaking exposition). I know Miyazaki wants to tell a story, but manga is a visual medium and he didn't really use it to its full advantage.
>>
File: seriosulybro.jpg (13KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
seriosulybro.jpg
13KB, 512x384px
>>150712863
>Thread about Manga
>WATCH MORE ANIME
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.