[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does preferring English dub make someone less of an anime fan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 8

File: anime doritos.png (156KB, 326x253px) Image search: [Google]
anime doritos.png
156KB, 326x253px
does preferring English dub make someone less of an anime fan?
>>
>>150429949
No cartoons are cartoons no matter what language
>>
>>150429949
Yes.
The whole point of anime is watching the work of professional seiyuu. If you're not in it for the voice acting you may as well stick to manga.
>>
>>150430044

Japanese VAs generally overact and emphasize melodrama.
>>
Yes, because it shows you don't really care about the industry making these Chinese cartoons and the politics/relevance of how voice casting impacts anime. If you're fine with whatever joe shmoe as long as he/she isn't awful then you by proxy aren't as invested in whether an anime is successful or not in Japan hence its potential impacts on the industry, more seasons etc. If you want more seasons and more relevance for shows you like you damn well better care how they do in Japan and this can be majorly influenced by seiyuu.
>>
File: spike.jpg (58KB, 615x384px) Image search: [Google]
spike.jpg
58KB, 615x384px
Not really, no
Dubs are usually fine, /a/ is just full of autistic weaboos who freak out when something isn't japanese
>>
>>150429949
If you're going to the trouble of watching a French movie, would you not watch it in French instead of dubbed English?
>>
>>150430206
Because dubs are terrible.
>>
I kind of want to get into anime but I just can't do subtitles. That's mainly because I'm just so ADD that I have a hard time watching a show and reading it at the same time.

The only shows I've seen so far are Death Note (which I love) and like half of Dragonball which I never finished even though I intend to. Also like half of Blue Exorcist that I watched with subs but it just wore me out. It was an interesting show but I just dreaded following along with subtitles.
>>
>>150429949
In my worthless opinion
Im not gonna hold it against you if you prefer dubs, I mean hey its your native language and you dont understand japanese, but if you refuse to watch subbed even when the dub is complete garbage then you are cancer.
>inb4 all dubs are garbage
>>150431142
Maybe you should get tested and medicated buddy cause I have ADD and I have no problem watching and reading at the same time.
Or y'know ADD isnt as relevant as you thought to this topic.
>>
>>150429949
Without a doubt.
English dubs never capture the same feeling and atmosphere.

You're basically watching a different cartoon at that point. In fact I remember that used to be thing back in the day. They'd license an anime and then rewrite the plot and basically create a different series using the footage - of the top of my head Robotech (Macross) and Technoman are series like that. Voltron had some pretty massive rewrites too. Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs...

Heck any anime licensed in the 90s really, was more or less a rewrite. Another reason to hate dubs I suppose.
>>
>>150429949
Yes. Anime, in English usage, is by definition Japanese, so English dubbed anime is less Japanese than anime in Japanese, which means the degree of anime has been reduced. If one prefers less anime, they're obviously less of an anime fan.
>>
>>150429949
Explain how you could even begin to come to that conclusion. It's an utter non sequitur.
>>
>>150429949
is being "less" of a fan a bad thing? who are you trying to impress
>>
>>150429949
No, it just means you have shit taste.
>>
File: glowingsticks.gif (455KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
glowingsticks.gif
455KB, 500x406px
>>150429949
PSG dubs were awesome, I don't care if it makes me less of an anime fan.
>>
Is being more of an anime fan really something that you want to be?
>>
>>150436791
depends on what benefits the title offers
>>
>>150430044
I watch anime in Japanese and I couldn't care less about seiyuu.

Fuck off back to /jp/ idolfag
>>
>>150429949
I'm inclined to agree with >>150432801
Enjoy art/music/whatever however you want to enjoy. Now how the masses want you to enjoy it. I prefer English dubs unless it becomes apparent that the dubs are lazily or shittily done, but most have very good English Voice Acting as well.
>>
>>150429949
>I'm not going to watch a Japanese medium in its intended language
Yes, don't even bother calling yourself a fan when you can't even bother to listen to it in its original language. Why don't you go watch the Avatard or something more to your speed since you're clearly too retarded to read subs and watch at the same time. If you've been watching anime for any significant amount of time, you shouldn't even need subs to understand 70% of what they're saying.

This board has become so normalfag friendly it's fucking sad.
>>
>>150430074
Which I like.
>>
>>150429949
Preferring dubs overall means you have shit taste, and are probably a fucking normie who got into anime after it "became cool". You probably stream it too.

Liking some dubs because they are how you first experienced the show and aren't bad means you aren't biased.

Preferring subs in general means you have patrician taste and can't stand westernized and usually bastardized dialogue.
>>
I like things in their original language, regardless of media.
>>
>>150429949
It just means they're stupid.
>>
>>150437438
ghost stories
>>
>>150436330

Honestly, preferred PSG dubs over the subs any day. Made it way more funnier with the dub VAs.
>>
>>150429949
It's pointless to watch something in a language you do not speak. However, if you do enjoy reading subtitles while they speak in their original language, there is nothing wrong with that either. Do what you enjoy. Don't let other people make you feel bad for not enjoying things the way they do.
>>
>>150430074
Better than sounding like they're trying to do voice acting in their room without waking their parents up while holding in a shit.
>>
>>150429949
The voice actors are terrible in both sub and dub. I prefer subs because I don't understand Japanese and thus I can't fully comprehend how terrible the Japanese acting is.
>>
>>150430044
>If you're not in it for the voice acting
I watch subs, but I couldn't care any less about the voice actors.

I don't see how anyone could enjoy anime if they're hearing Name Nameasuki instead of the character, really.
>>
>>150437494
>more funnier

So you failed English in school and probably can't read taht well. Explains why you don't like subs.

>Liking dubs is a legitimate sign of illiteracy and lack of proficiency in the written English language.

Someone, screencap this.
>>
>>150437621
How do you know they're bad then?
>>
>>150429949
No but it does mean you have a high tolerance for mediocre performances in a language you fully understand as opposed to mediocre performances in one you don't.
>>
>>150430074
I'm not sure if you knew this, but cartoons are all about exaggeration.
>>
>>150437698
It's pretty obvious, mate. No human talks or emotes like anime characters.
>>
>>150430074
Melodrama? Overacted? Particularly in a cartoon? You don't fuckin say. How queer.
>>
>>150437765
But you just said
>I don't understand Japanese and thus I can't fully comprehend how terrible the Japanese acting is.
If you need to understand a language to gauge how well the speaker is speaking then you can't say it's good or bad if you don't understand it.
>>
>>150429949
It means you're a filthy murican.

The rest of the world gives watch it subbed.
For some reason you guys are the only ones who care about your english dub.
>>
>>150437773
What? Haven't you heard of the forbidden subtle melodrama?
>>
>>150437801
What? There are things that are obvious no matter what and things that are more subtle. It's pretty simple.
>>
This isn't even remotely true.
>>
>>150437918
Meant to reply to
>>150437844

There are dubs in all sorts of languages.
>>
>>150437694

I dunno, the American voice acting seems funnier to me, probably because they fit in so well with the characters, ya know? Like the voices were just made for the roles.

Also, nice job berating me on a grammar mistake, nigger.

Include me in the screenshot.
>>
>>150437844
americans dont like to read if they dont have to
>>
yes, but so does not knowing fluent japanese, being familiar with the directors, studios, voice actors, etc
also being 'more of a fan' isn't necessarily 'better', particularly if the fan is an insufferably obnoxious autist
>>
>>150437694
>So you failed English in school and probably can't read taht well.
>taht
>>
Tangentially, has anyone been watching the Shimoneta dubs? Anna's VA is doing a decent job. Personally, I find I prefer subs more, but if the dubs are actually pretty good, why not use them once in awhile?
>>
File: 32.png (161KB, 380x498px) Image search: [Google]
32.png
161KB, 380x498px
>>150432681
>It's an utter non sequitur.
>>
>>150429949
It means you're less of a weeb, which isn't really a bad thing.
>>
>>150432487
Hard to argue with that logic
>>
>>150429949
Yes. Everything should be watched in its original language.
>>
>>150429949
If you need subs you're not a true anime fan. Anime can only be fully appreciated in the original Japanese, meaning is lost through the translation of the subtitles.
>>
>>150437475
Regardless of media.
>>
>>150429949
Yes, considering that the typical dubfag is several times more irritating and stupid than the average seiyuufag. Looking at dubfag circlejerk threads on here is all the proof you need.
>>
>>150436330

because the series was westaboo as fuck
>>
>>150429949
No, it just means you have shit taste.
>>
>>150429949
No. But it does make them a pleb, which is completely fine. Also never make threads like this again.
>>
>>150437000
Oh I get it now. Subbers are children. I guess I should start taking it easy on you guys. I keep forgetting average age on this site.

Most people mature eventually, and stop worrying about whether what they enjoy is best or not and just enjoy things on their merits. But at a schoolage, you tend to belittle others over such trivial things such as which band they listen to or which games they play or what have you.

Part of being an adult is just not fretting about that sort of thing, and not letting your identity get wrapped up in art like that. When you do that, you attack criticisms on the artwork like you would on your person.

So, it's probably just better to let them be.
>>
the best argument for subs>dubs is the catalog. If you only watch dubs you're limiting yourself to maybe 10% of the medium. You would be missing out on some classics and I'm also a firm believer in the idea that you need to watch some seasonal garbage to keep your tastes sharp
>>
>>150439823
You -really- shouldn't be here. And no, I'm not him.
>>
>>150437173
>normie
>>
>>150438033
>i don't know what irony is
>>
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust was originally animated for an English dub and was dubbed for a second time in Japanese.

So the original is English.
>>
Guys.

if it's good it's good.
If it's shit it's shit.
Why is this even a thread?
>>
>>150440293
>le no patience man
>>
Watch more than two anime subbed and you'll start noticing certain phrases and peculiar ways in which voice actors emphasize things. These things can be very important to understanding the character and they can not in any way be translated into other languages. Ways of viewing things are closely correlated to the language used and even if you don't know Japanese, you'll soon start getting the cues and understanding what's happening on a level that you never will with any dubbing. If you watch dubs, you're shallow human trash in general, not less of an anime fan. But you will get less and consequently, have less to contribute to /a/
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 600x338px
What's an example of a dub that's high quality and that's worth watching besides Cowboy Bebop and Baccano?
>>
>>150443201
Probably Fullmetal Alchemist. Maybe Ergo Proxy.
>>
>>150443201
The only dubs worth watching are PSG, Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy
>>
>>150443201
The Code Geas and DTB dubs are also okay.
>>
>>150443225
Only sub's worth watching are animé's that have never been translated and are also really good, but other than that, Nada.
>>
>>150443225
Didn't Space Dandy lose content or something in the English dub?

>>150443240
I like the Japanese cast of Code Geass, but I just can't watch is subbed, even though I watch 99% of my anime subbed. It's probably nostalgia too.

>>150443212
Yes on FMA as well. I should probably finish EP either way.
>>
>>150429949
I used to watch english dubs but after watching in japanese. holy shit i cannot go back how horrible it sounds like
>>
Why do people find it so hard to read and watch? I mean I guess it depends on sub quality if they're really tiny then you will be starting at the bottom of the screen but when I'm watching a show, I can see the whole screen and follow what's being said and what's happening.

Very few times have I had to pause because characters are talking over each other or there's a long string of text being said fast. I just don't get why it's so difficult for some.
>>
>>150429949
>English dub make someone less of an anime fan
Of course, yes.
Might've not really been that way in the past, but now, you get the same people, with the same shitty acting and name pronunciations. No variety.
Also, english-dubbed anime out there is a mere percent of the anime that is out there. The stuff that gets dubs is also what westerners like - that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it limits you a lot in terms of exposure.

>>150439351
You could say it was a match made in heaven.

Seriously though, I've checked some of it, and the dub isn't as bad as I'd expected. It could be a lot better, but it could be also a lot worse.

>>150439823
>points out one (ONE) guy to make an example out of a group
You're not doing any better either, anon.
>>
>>150443411
Ever eat a whole meal to see if you like it, or do you just take a bite?
>>
if you prefer dubs you are subhuman trash. close thread
>>
>>150443372
I've no fucking idea, really. A lot of people excuse themselves by saying that they're ESL.

I'm going to talk a bit about myself here - subs are by far easier to read. Words can be missed, or misheard.
>but it distracts me from what it's going onscreen
If an ESL like me has no problems with reading ENGLISH subs WHILE PAYING ATTENTION to what's going onscreen, what the fuck are you guys doing? Are you that slow at reading your own language that it prevents you from enjoying subtitled media fully?
>>150443506
You gotta convince them WHY they're bad, or else they're not going to stop. You're going to be dismissed as "that crazy guy" who insults people because they don't watch subs. Defend your POV a little.

I'm not good at defending shit.
>>
>>150443637
>Are you that slow at reading your own language that it prevents you from enjoying subtitled media fully?
It's not even a case of being slow at reading, if you're literally just staring at the bottom of the screen and not everything then the problem is with the person.

I also find ESL people more competent at reading subs, going off from what my friends say. Guess it helps them learn to read English a bit better.
>>
>>150437844
Gosh euro-chan don't be so tsundere. The way you're always thinking about us makes me blush.
>>
File: weeaboo.jpg (27KB, 332x358px) Image search: [Google]
weeaboo.jpg
27KB, 332x358px
>>150429949
No but it does make you less of a weeb who's so obsessed with japanese culture that he deludes himself into thinking its the best damn thing in the world.
>>
not wanting to hear japanese people is kinda racist desu senpai
>>
>>150437844
Because english dubs sounds like a disney movie.
>>
>>150439823
We are little girls, go back to 9gag, reddit and, kill your self.
>>
How about everyone just judge things on an individual basis and not care what strangers do or think.
>>
>>150429949
I prefer japanese dub since it's hard for me to tell if the voice acting is bad
>>
>>150444526
Because those strangers may have some very valid points you've never even considered? This can work both ways, as well.
>>150444621
Consume more Japanese media - music, TV shows, news, etc.. I'm not Japanese, nor am I a native English speaker, but I can tell. Hell, that's probably easier for me since my language has similar pronunciations and sounds as Japanese.

Why is the English pronunciation so shit, by the way? Native English speakers absolutely suck at emulating foreign sounds. They can't drop their learned pronunciation - and in turn, they sound funny. You can't even do a good Russian accent.
>>
>>150429949
If the dub is as good as or better than the sub, then no.
>>
>>150444728
>because strangers may have opinions more correct than yours

Yeah whatever ruskie. Like you perfectly speak English with no accent.
>>
>>150430044
>STORY>VISUALS>VA>OPENING>MUSIC

fuck off
>>
>>150444928
I'm not even Russian (I'm still Slavic and speak a slavic language, though). I'm not the the best at speaking English, but I'm sure of one thing - you can not beat me at speaking Japanese. Our sounds are very alike. Look up "Cyrillization of japanese".
>>
>>150432319
I really don't like this argument because you don't really understand the emotions, jokes or dialect if you aren't native Japanese.

To answer OP it really doesn't matter, but if it wasn't subs/dubs the same retarded special snowflakes would find something else to bitch about.
>>
>>150429949
Yes, unless they have dyslexia or some other reading issue.

The voice acting and the script they read from are part of the work and its creative intent. Anime is a product of Japanese culture which is reflected in the acting and script. The actors are part of the anime industry. Anime voice acting has its own sensiblities that are part of what makes anime what it is. There are things that are lost in translation in a dub, but not in subtitles. People who insist that none of this matters are not taking anime seriously. Dub acting is also almost always worse, but hey who cares right. Dubfags also like to argue that voice acting is merely a tool for transmitting information and may as well by read by voice synthesis. Really taking the art form seriously there.

Anime also gets dubbed for condescending reasons, like it must all be for children and needs to dubbed so they can follow along. It's very rare for live action movies to get dubbed, and live action dubs are looked down upon. And yes I fucking know that in live action the lip syncing doesn't work as well, but people happily ignore all the issues that come with anime dubs.
>>
>>150429949
Subs are actually a way of segregating the autists that can't read and watch at the same time to make way for grorious weeb master race
>>
>People get this assblasted just thinking about how I watch dubs.

It'd be worth it on that alone. Now hit me with all your arguments about how you never really cared how I watched animé.
>>
>>150429949
I only watch dubs if the show took place in a western setting.
>>
>>150429949
>>150430044
Anime sub fans and k-drama fans are one in the same. They hype it up to no end when the acting is just soap opera tier. Go watch a movie if you wanted good acting.
>>
>>150446720
>I've never watched subbed anime but trust me guys it's shit
>>
Thoughts?
https://a.pomf.cat/cnlalu.webm
>>
>>150447318
I just puked a little.
>>
dubs should be illegal
>>
English and Japanese are fairly different sounding languages. A good chunk of the way characters speak in anime, while exaggerated, is simply impossible to directly translate into English.

As a result, most English dubs feel flat.
It is very hard to fully explain to someone who watches dubs, though. So if you're fine with inferior work, then stop worrying what other people think and do as you please.
>>
>>150447632
Only subfags make these threads
>>
>>150448061
Is that why threads like this keep turning into dub recommendation threads? Usually one faggot makes some "ARE there actually any good dubs" post and gets fifty replies listing their favorite epik dubbed animes.
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.