[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hokuto no Ken

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 396
Thread images: 122

So I'm currently watching pic related, getting on with it after putting it off since forever.
Currently on Episode 24, shortly after Yuria and Shin died.
And now there's basically two new characters which boil down to Not-Yuria and Not-Shin even though there weren't supposed to be any other schools, and yet there's some other Nanto school, did the author originally plan for just the Shin arc and that was to be it but then it got too popular so he had to keep going and asspull a new school?
Also way too fucking much of bandit of the week bullshit, though I heard it gets better after Shin since that arc was padded to hell with filler.

So anyway here's my real question, the series doesn't adapt all of the manga from what I know, up to what chapter of the manga does the anime cover? And can I go directly to the manga at that chapter once I'm done with the anime or does anime skip something?
>>
Also why the hell did Yuria's hair color change from red to pale purple between flashbacks and present?
>>
File: Shin manga.jpg (160KB, 823x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Shin manga.jpg
160KB, 823x1400px
Please respond.
>>
>Yuria dies

What? I don't remember that happening in the manga
>>
>>150404554
Jumped off Shin's tower/castle thingy and sudoku'd.
>>
>>150404621
Hahahahahaha

The anime covers until volume 25 out of 27, I think. That includes Hokuto no Ken 2.

There's considerably less padding after Shin's death.
>>
>>150404621
Ah fuck, I'm retarded, confused Yuria with the other girl introduced later on. But yeah, after that arc the pacing gets really sloppy and it feels like it's aimlessly dragging on but when you get to the actual fights with the other Nanto fighters it gets really fucking good.
>>
>>150404711
>>150404853
These two posts are kinda contradictory.
First anon claims that there's less padding and the second anon claims there's more aimless padding after Shin.

SO WHICH IS IT?

But really, so far the new Nanto guy (Rei) already seems much better than Shin and it took merely 1 episode after Shin's death to introduce him so I assumed this will have better pacing now that filler is over.

Also thanks for the rip regarding volumes, so I take it the anime is faithul to the manga and I can basically jump into vol 24/25+ right after I'm done with HnK and HnK2 anime right?
>>
>>150404912
The Shin arc is two volumes in the manga, but it takes like 24 episodes in the manga. To put into perspective, the remaining 84 episodes cover the next 16 volumes or so. That's 12 episodes per volume versus 5 or so episodes per volume.

That, and I liked the next arcs more.
>>
>>150404995
That certainly does sound much better paced and matches what I heard before starting watching the series, cheers.
Do the kids ever leave by the way or are they sticking forever for the shounen demographic target?

Still waiting on that confirmation or deny of the manga/anime thing though.
>>
>>150403649
The parts that the anime doesn't adapt are awful. Hell, most of the parts it does adapt of Hokuto no Ken 2 are awful, but at least we got Tough Boy out of it.
>>
>>150405193
I already heard that everything from HnK2 and after that is worse but when I commit to something I like to experience all of it, the good and the bad, to completion.
>>
>>150403649
You made a good choice watching it. Just keep watching and get out before getting spoiled. A lot of people don't actually know about the story and just parrot "the most violent anime ever". It's one of the most romantic and emotional things.
Read the manga alter as well to see the conclusion that happens after HnK 2.
>>
>>150405102
The anime is faithful to the manga, but the manga obviously has a better pace and nice artwork.

The kids occasionally go away, but they generally stick around. They don't really intervene with the plot. Well, until Hokuto no Ken 2, where they're basically adults.

And Lynn ends up being vital to the plot in 2
>>
Between Hokuto no Ken 1 and 2 the anime adapts everything but the final 3 volumes, which are pointless and shitty
>>
>>150405247
>>150405251
>>150405276
Well that settles it, will only read the last 3-4 volumes of the manga after I'm done with the anime.
I don't mind the art being obviously worse in the anime because the voice acting and music make up for that.

Not reading that spoiler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaY1ihyBtbA
I really love this.

Thanks for putting up with me and my questions, that's pretty much all I needed to know so feel free to turn this into general HnK thread or let it die, whichever you feel like. Meanwhile I'll scram just in case before someone decides to be a douche and dump spoilers. Thanks for the warning.
>>
>>150405318
The voice acting in the anime is pretty god-tier. If you have a chance, have a look at the PS1 game, at least for the cinematics. It's pretty much the last time you'll hear Rei's VA before his untimely death.
>>
File: pic related.png (79KB, 970x668px) Image search: [Google]
pic related.png
79KB, 970x668px
>>150405340
I already have the game waiting for me after I'm done with the anime, as well as Hokuto Musou and Shin Hokuto Musou.

Seriously though this is my last post, I'm out before spoilers happen.
>>
>>150403649

Considering the time it was created, I really like the anime adaptation for its 80's cheesiness, voice actors, music and setting overall.
Also, I would say that Ken is one heck of an archetypical male role model.

Sadly we only got androgyn edgelord and moe-shit with pseudomorals nowadays.
>>
>>150405406
>Sadly we only got androgyn edgelord and moe-shit with pseudomorals nowadays.
Even DBSuper didn't manage to avoid this fate, it hurts
>>
File: FOTNS_vol2_ch2_pg036.png (164KB, 845x1400px) Image search: [Google]
FOTNS_vol2_ch2_pg036.png
164KB, 845x1400px
>>150404554
?
>>
File: FOTNS_vol2_ch2_pg037.png (232KB, 860x1400px) Image search: [Google]
FOTNS_vol2_ch2_pg037.png
232KB, 860x1400px
>>150404554
>>150406001
??
>>
File: FOTNS_vol2_ch2_pg038.png (218KB, 836x1400px) Image search: [Google]
FOTNS_vol2_ch2_pg038.png
218KB, 836x1400px
>>150404554
>>150406001
>>150406018
3/3
>>
HOKUTO NO KEN TIME? AAWWW YEEEAA

>>150403783
People when depressed or too stressed can lose the color of her hair
>>
>>150406032
She survives that, but dies off-screen between Raoh's death and Hokuto no Ken 2 from radiation poisoning.
>>
>>150406076
I know, I'm just posting for the other guy who doesn't remember her apparent death.
>>
WELCOME TO THIS CRAZY TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t55VHg6R_sA
>>
File: yuria is a bitch.jpg (33KB, 640x432px) Image search: [Google]
yuria is a bitch.jpg
33KB, 640x432px
We are all Shin, after all.
>>
>>150407259
Except not even 1/100 as handsome or powerful.
>>
>>150407314
Life is just not fair...
>>
>>150407425
>Kaioh
Shittier Raoh.
HnK2 was a mistake
>>
Considering the stories about how Tetsuo Hara and Buronson had to continue the manga against their will, if that be the case, what's the point of them writing a sequel novel post-Bolge Arc named Jubaku no Machi (-呪縛の街-?, "The Cursed City"), which got animated into the Shin Hokuto no Ken OVAs?
>>
>>150407922
They were never forced to continue it against their will You're thinking of them being forced to change some plot points
For example Yuria was supposed to stay dead after she jumped and Toki wasn't supposed to get hair color change which was then stupidly explained with lol radiation
>>
>>150403649
Hokuto no Ken is one of the series where I would recommend reading the manga and watching the anime. Main reason for that is that the manga has much better pacing and has probably the best artwork for a weekly series ever (with the possible exception of RokuBlues) but the anime has a fucking amazing OST and has incredibly voice acting; seriously, everyone sounds perfect (Banjou Ginja as Souther and Kenji Utsumi as Raoh are in particular excellent).

Only problem with the anime is that it has a shit load of filler and the filler doesn't really let up throughout the whole of the anime, problem with the manga is that the scans are a bit shit after a while.

Hokuto no Ken is my favourite manga of all time, I think there's only been two things that have been outright better than it ever made. Everyone should read Part 1 at least once, it's almost perfect.
>>
>>150403649
You should keep watching. HNK is the most effective penis enlargement technique.
>>
>>150408196
HnK has the best male role models, that's for sure
>>
I wish I could dump all my HnK screenshots but sadly that would spoil the show to the other anons.

I just love Hokuto no Ken so badly. Wish I could have a tatoo or scars just like Kenshiro or Souther after Tenha Kassatsu, but since I'm just a fatass maybe it would be better to stick to fantasize myself as Heart
>>
>>150408272
Why the hell haven't you dumped those shitty HoM relases already? VHS source, inaccurate translations in places, typos, yellow text.

Grab the tipota encodes which are sourced from the 2008 25th anniversary remasters. He never encoded HnK2 but Asian DVD Club and AnimeBytes have the ISOs of HnK2 from the remastered release.
>>
>>150405247
>It's one of the most romantic and emotional things.
This, it does a great job of creating attatchments to even short-lived characters that it still evokes some form of emotion. Then there is the whole Toki/Ken/Raoh combo which is just spectacular.
>>
>>150408825
The Raoh vs Toki fight was incredible, everything about it from the backstory to the actual fight to the conclusion was perfect. We'll never see anything like it ever again in any manga.
>>
>>150409163
Ken vs Raoh is better
>>
Can someone explain what the fuck was Buronson smoking when he decided to continue writing the series past Raoh's death?

>lets kill Yuria offscreen from radiation
>lets add a shitty love triangle between Ken, Lin and Bat even though Lin is basically his adopted daughter
>lets add a shittier Raoh 2.0 called Kaioh

What was the fucking point
>>
>>150409171
The ending of Ken vs Raoh is better but Raoh vs Toki is much more emotional.

It also really hammers home how incredible Toki was, given that he could fight Ken and Raoh on even footing despite being close to dying all the time.
>>
>>150409226
Too bad the movie stole that fight from him.
The movie that everyone fucking creams themselves over.
>>
>>150409239
I thought they cream themselves over the movie because it's become "lost footage" status.
>>
>>150409360
It's not lost footage status.
It has a DVD release that's relatively easy to find.
And it's been proven by Japanese themselves that the theatrical version is censored as well.
The uncensored print existed only in production, it was never actually released.
It's a fucking miracle that somehow a copy of the uncensored print was found in Italy on a VHS casette so the scenes got reconstructed back into the censored DVD footage.
Either way the movie itself is not lost footage.

https://bakabt.me/torrent/146576/hokuto-no-ken-fist-of-the-north-star-1986-remastered
>>
>>150409510
Thanks for that link, anon.
>>
>>150409996
Why did they turn Raoh, who was pale blonde aryan in the manga, to a literal nigger with black curly hair in the anime?
>>
>>150403649
Okay I'm gonna try and give you the rundown. The anime was made one year after the manga started, the reason for the immense filler of the Shin arc which originally was only about 10-15 chapters is because 2 things: it's made by Toei the kings of filler and reusing animation and because they wanted the manga to have time and build more story to adapt. I recommend people watch the anime then read the manga, the manga has very concentrated and has beautiful artwork but the choreography in the show is severely underrated and the directing, music, and voice acting are all top notch with amazing dramatic timing in scenes.

The Shin arc feels disjointed from the rest because it was basically a pilot mini arc for the manga, no one was expecting the manga to explode line it did. Remember while successful before, WSJ became a household name and king manga magazines because of HnK. Shins whole purpose was he started Ken on his path, started the story, and awakened Ken's rage. For his story purpose Shin is vital, in the grand scheme of things in their world he's unimportant.

Rei and Shin have next to no similarities other than having long hair and being Nanto Seiken masters. Rei is charismatic where as Shin is a bitch and everything is his fault. Mamiya basically is discount Yuria, most women in the show are and it's a recurring theme. She serves to remind Ken how much Yuria means to him even in death, and despite looking just like Yuria no one can replace Yuria in Ken's heart. Yuria is very important to the story as you will learn.
>>
>>150409212
Read bakuman. That will explain how some series just keep going and going just because money and popularity.
Not to excuse Buronson of course, but I think that if they make you continue a story endlessly you will get just tired or burned and use any idea no matter how senseless it is.
>>
File: 1033530-hokuto.jpg (17KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1033530-hokuto.jpg
17KB, 320x240px
>>150410061
>Why did they turn Raoh, who was pale blonde aryan in the manga, to a literal nigger with black curly hair in the anime?
Because the colors weren't established you troglodyte. Being tan =/= nigger. He also doesn't have curly hair, at best in some shots it's wavy like Ken's. The animation director tried to make Raoh more of an everyman, especially since it's hard to stay pale white since Raoh spends all his time in the sun rather than cooped up somewhere.

>>150410212
Continued
You misunderstand how martial arts stand in the world: there's only one true heir of Hokuto Shinken, a main point of the series, however Nanto Seiken has 108 branches and each has its own master. Among the Nanto masters, Shin is a middling power compared to Souther or Rei and he is pathetic compared to Hokuto Shinken practitioners. Shin only did what he did to Ken out of surprise and he was Ken's best friend, second time Ken has no mercy and that's why he brutally murdered him. Other martial arts exist but they pale in comparison to Hokuto Shinken or Nanto Seiken.

A few other notes: Raoh is the best character.

The movies are mostly shit.

Read the Gaidens when you finish the series. HnK2 is goofy fun but it's kinda bad and not worth watching I recommend just reading after the fight with Falco since it's faster (there's an unconfirmed quote from Buronson that the series ends before HnK2 that I take to heart).

You will learn Ken is the third strongest character in all of the show.

Fist of the Blue Sky is a good read and is a fun prequel, but the anime is fucking horrible.

Raoh is the best character and all should pledge loyalty to Ken-Oh: Ruler of this century's end.
>>
>>150408076

I see.

Speaking of the Shin Hokuto no Ken OVAs, given that Takaya Hashi voiced the Hokutomon no Ken master, why couldn't they make him reprise his role as Toki for that flashback Kenshiro had about Toki stating he just wanted to be a doctor.
>>
>>150410380

God, Raoh's death had me tearing up especially when he just pointed to the sky like that. 10/10 character.
>>
>>150410380
Who are the top 2 strongest then?
>>
>>150410678
Raoh and Tokio obviously.
>>
>>150410678
As >>150410710 said. Raoh is the strongest man alive and Toki is literally the most perfect and naturally talented practitioner of Hokuto Shinken in the long history of the art. If you are OP you will learn eventually why they did not become the heir. If you already saw the show or don't mind spoilers Raoh was blinded by ambition and his own goals to save the world/become the strongest that he could not see eye to eye with Hokuto Shinken and couldn't grasp the teachings fully. At the end of the series when he awakens his Muso Tensei he is undoubtedly a perfect martial artist and vastly superior to Ken, however Raoh's sacrifice and his lack of intent to win is why Ken wins. Ken openly admitted in HnK2 had Raoh not sacrificed himself he would have killed Ken in that fight, as the only advantage Ken had in embracing Hokuto Shinken was gone.

Toki was literally perfect, not as strong as Raoh but he was far more gifted in Hokuto Shinken. His strikes were so fast and precise that combined with his intuition he was unstoppable. Had he not sacrificed himself and survived being covered in radioactive dust and living in a fallout for a week which gave him basically super cancer, he would have been the successor to Hokuto Shinken and both Raoh and Ken would have willingly let Toki seal their fists.
>>
File: raoh-x-kenji-utsumi.jpg (56KB, 800x562px) Image search: [Google]
raoh-x-kenji-utsumi.jpg
56KB, 800x562px
>>150410598
Raoh is a 1000/10 character.

>>150410710
Toki without an illness is probably the strongest person in the series, he'd most likely be able to unlock Muso Tensei on the basis of knowing he'd have to fight Raoh, but an adult Toki without illness doesn't really exist so it's hard to guage.

By the end of the series, Raoh seemed to be overall less powerful than Kenshiro though, but that might be due to the use of perfect Muso Tensei compared to an imperfect one. But then again it's Raoh's own fault for letting his ambition get in the way of attaining Muso Tensei properly. Even earlier in the series when Raoh and Kenshiro fought, they were equal, I'm not sure you can ever say Raoh is outright more powerful than Kenshiro. He even almost lost to Ryuuken and apparently Koryu was stronger than him before he sealed his fists.

What makes the whole shit more confusing is when Kenshiro says that Toki and Raoh are more powerful than him, and when Toki says Kenshiro and Raoh are more powerful than him etc and it's hard to know how much of that is due to respect and posturing or if they really mean it. Only based Raoh states that everyone else is beneath him.
>>
>>150409996
Love how the tears were done in this.
>>
>>150411211
Raoh is stronger, Ken basically always admitted that Raoh was stronger and so did Toki. The reason they almost killed each other is two reasons: one Raoh was still defining Go no Ken and rejecting the teachings of Hokuto Shinken, since he did not use pure Hokuto Shinken and instead using his own offshoot style this put Ken at a martial art advantage. The second reason is Raoh's pride. Raoh did not want to kill Kenshiro, and always viewed him as a flesh and blood brother to him and Toki. Raoh that whole fight was aiming to intimidate Kenshiro and to use blind force to make him submit, he was never expecting that Ken had awakened his rage or that not just mutual destruction the main goal Ken had in that fight was to debilitate Ken. Had Ken been how he was before Raoh left he would have majorly slapped Ken's shit, but Ken was now one who put his emotions behind his fists and was aiming to be a true successor by utilizing everything in his arsenal. Raoh's pride put him at a disadvantage, that's why Raoh is stunned by the wound he received from Kenshiro and why he fixated on it so long or why it took so long to heal: the biggest damage he took was having to acknowledge his little brother could kill him if he was careless and now fully intended to kill Raoh. Raoh knew that to follow his beliefs and take the world to his salvation, he had to kill his little brother he helped raise.
>>
>>150412742
Continued

The Hokuto no Ken users that straight up defeated Raoh had one thing in common: they were Musou Tensei users that fully embraced Hokuto Shinken. Raoh's ambitions blinded him to fully grasping the art and that's why he couldn't use Musou Tensei, the initial Go no Ken is Raoh's take on perfecting an impure version of hokuto shinken. However in the final battle and subsequent stuff, is basically hinted that once Raoh mastered hokuto shinken his own Go no Ken was overall an improvement of the art which was thought to be impossible. This is why in HnK 2 Ken uses Go no Ken A LOT and baffles the people of Asura since it's essentially unstoppable outside of the retarded stuff like kaioh turning off gravity. Think of that, Raoh was arguably the worst master level user of Hokuto Shinken for most of his life and yet was a superior martial artist than almost all of them and killing his own master.

Toki was literally perfect. His intuition, speed, precision, dexterity, and talent were unmatched and he was the perfect user. The only thing Raoh had on him before his own mastery of Hokuto no Ken was his strength. This is why prior to Toki becoming ill, Raoh and Kenshiro both said they would accept Toki becoming the heir and sealing their fists.
>>
File: news_xlarge_southergaiden_cut.jpg (66KB, 610x549px) Image search: [Google]
news_xlarge_southergaiden_cut.jpg
66KB, 610x549px
I'm taking the liberty of translating the backup stories by Yukito featured in the tankobon volumes of Strawberry Hokuto.

Last night I did the Hyui and Shuren one-shot. You can find it in the following along with links to the previous one-shots I've translated.
desuarchive.org/a/thread/150393050

There's three more left to translate focusing on Fudo, Juda and Shin.
>>
>>150410380
>The movies are mostly shit.
The original 1986 movie was pretty good though.
>>
>>150413698
I feel all the movies are shitty adaptations honestly. But I love HnK so much cutting anything prior to Asura disgusts me. After Asura go nuts.
>>
File: 02_129.jpg (195KB, 741x1200px) Image search: [Google]
02_129.jpg
195KB, 741x1200px
>>150403649
>And now there's basically two new characters which boil down to Not-Yuria and Not-Shin even though there weren't supposed to be any other schools, and yet there's some other Nanto school, did the author originally plan for just the Shin arc and that was to be it but then it got too popular so he had to keep going and asspull a new school?
The Southern Cross arc in the manga was written as a one-off in case it got axed early, as was the case with most Shonen Jump titles that never became popular.

As other anons pointed out, Nanto Seiken was established to be an open style with 108 sects. In fact, the Godland Colonel was actually an unrelated villain in the manga that was introduced almost immediately after Shin's death as the second Nanto assassin. In the anime, he was rewritten to be Shin's lackey.
>>
>>150408114

I want that scan as a poster. like really bad.
>>
File: 51MJJ1M4CEL.jpg (46KB, 352x475px) Image search: [Google]
51MJJ1M4CEL.jpg
46KB, 352x475px
>>150410481
>Speaking of the Shin Hokuto no Ken OVAs, given that Takaya Hashi voiced the Hokutomon no Ken master, why couldn't they make him reprise his role as Toki for that flashback Kenshiro had about Toki stating he just wanted to be a doctor.
Shin Hokuto was kinda weird. It's supposed to be a sequel to the older anime series and even has a cameo by Raoh's bastard son Ryu (whereas the original book didn't even mention), but they don't even bother to use the same actors. It's not like Akira Kamiya couldn't do the Ken voice anymore around that period, considering he did that one PS1 game that had all the other VAs from the original anime around that period.
>>
>>150414290
I like how they traced it for the promo art of the anime...
>>
>>150414009
I remember the first time I saw Rolento in Final Fight I thought he was a rip off of the Colonel. Then when his backstory was developed it became even more obvious.

>>150414290
I want this as a poster. I like the Enter The Dragon reference.
>>
>>150414501
...twice
>>
File: FWHyPA9.jpg (304KB, 586x812px) Image search: [Google]
FWHyPA9.jpg
304KB, 586x812px
>>150414501
In that recent interview Tetsuo Hara had with Kentaro Muira, he said it annoyed him that the anime couldn't be as detailed as the manga but he knew it was never going to be.
>>
>>150414654
I wish they had stuck with Toei with the later anime adaptations. Any studio would've been better than the one who did the Fist of the Blue Sky anime.
>>
>>150405244
I dunno man. Really, it's absymal. I think part 1 ends at 102, and really, it's so fitting. Part 2 tears the walls down like a motherfucker.

I mean I love HnK, even the DD stuff, but jesus man it's like watching your mom get raped.
>>
>>150414520

You'd have to meet someone to scan the tank in 600dpi to get an image worth printing.
>>
File: 197.jpg (231KB, 1024x755px) Image search: [Google]
197.jpg
231KB, 1024x755px
>>150405244
>>150415264
I never understood the hatred for HNK2. The retcons are stupid indeed, but I always view the Shura portion as a non-canon spinoff anyway.
>>
Reading the manga now and just finished chapter 26 it's pretty good, but getting a bit stale because Kenshiro hasn't really been challenged yet he just wipes the floor of everything
>>
>>150415581
Some of the characters introduced were cool. But they tend to be early like falco and Ein. When you get to kaioh though...
>>
File: 97.jpg (256KB, 1024x755px) Image search: [Google]
97.jpg
256KB, 1024x755px
>>150415673
Stick with it. The other Hokuto Brothers don't show up until the mid-30s IIRC.
>>
>>150415581
God Tetsuo Hara truly was on the part to becoming the greatest manga artist to ever live in my opinion. Shame he just sight in his eye due to disease and working too hard so all his proportions went all fun house mirror.

>>150415800
30s is Jagi, 40s is fake Toki, 50s is Cassandra prison, 60s iirc is first Raoh encounter, then you have Souther arc.

Let's be honest, as great as Hokuto no Ken is it's when Raoh shows up that it truly ascended to a masterpiece.
>>
>>150416188
Well it's that time where ken truly gets a rival. All the other shit was fodder. It also marked the time his enemies started getting little gimmicks to make the fights a higher stake.
>>
>>150416273
It's also when Ken had seen enough of the world and was gaining his reputation as a savior that he had to decide his philosophy on how humanity can be restored. The reason I love Hokuto no Ken is the biggest fight is whose ideology is right: Ken's or Raoh's.
>>
>>150407922
It isn't so much that Burson and Hara were forced to continue the manga after Raoh's death so much as they had no idea how to continue the story after his death. In fact, Hara drew Chapter 136 expecting to take a long break afterward, only for him and Buronson to be told to prepare the next week's chapter almost immediately without any break.

Buronson pretty much wrote Hokuto no Ken on the fly, not knowing how long the manga would last. He actually intended it to end the manga as early as Ken's first battle against Raoh and when it got renewed for a first few more years, he had to come up with the Nanto Roku Seiken to extend the plot. Even the addition of Ryuga and the Goshasei were made at the last minute when the editors decided on the identity of the Last Nanto General.
>>
Yuria must have had the tightest pussy in the pre and post apocalypse world because goddamn son. Everyone wanted some of her.
>>
File: Hokuto.no.Ken.600.1870099.jpg (68KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hokuto.no.Ken.600.1870099.jpg
68KB, 450x600px
>>150417579
She knew how to rock those thigh-highs, that's for sure.
>>
>>150417437
I think it speaks volumes of Buronsons writing that he wrote Hokuto no Ken largely making it up as he went and it holds up extremely well until Asura.

It's not that they were forced to continue, just they couldn't turn down the money they were being offered.

>>150417579
Freud is why she was sought by everyone.
>>
So besides the manga and the anime how are all the other HnK stuff? I know there's a bunch of OVAs and movies and shit but to be honest I've never minded them much. Is any of them worth watching?
>>
>>150417579
She was the mother star, that was literally her power.

I haven't read any of her gaiden stuff but Yuria was the character who I thought was the least well written in the manga.
>>
>>150418318
>but Yuria was the character who I thought was the least well written in the manga.
Yuria was pretty much a living plot-device.
>>
>>150418370
Hell, she was a dead plot device for quite some time.
>>
>>150417977
Raoh Gaiden is great, as are all Gaidens but only Raoh got an anime. For me seeing stuff like Raoh's rise to power or how he tamed Kokuoh is orgasmic, but I have a massive hard-on for Raoh so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Also the OP is my favorite OP of all time and really sums up that being the ruler of the century's end was more than just arrogance, it was actually Raoh's cross to bear and was a noble endeavor.
>>
File: o0960054013725978469.jpg (433KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
o0960054013725978469.jpg
433KB, 960x540px
>>150417977
As for OVAs and movies, there's been quite a few.

The 1986 movie is basically a digest version of the manga's first few major arcs, covering everything up to the first Raoh fight. It takes a few liberties with the flow of the story, but it's worth watching just for the animation quality alone.

Shin Hokuto no Ken (or New Fist of the North Star) is an OVA trilogy released in 2003 that takes place years after the manga's storyline (it's actually adapted from a novel written by Buronson). Aside from a passing mention of a character from the manga's final story arcs, it's pretty much a stand-alone story.

The True Savior series from 2006-2008 are OVAs and movies that remake certain portions from the manga from the perspective of other characters, with new additions and changes to take into account retcons from later arcs. They're kinda hit or miss to me, but I think at least Toki Den is worth watching.
>>
>>150418718
Don't forget the most important movie of all
>>
File: 20161129_122057.png (919KB, 2560x1292px) Image search: [Google]
20161129_122057.png
919KB, 2560x1292px
>>150403649
Is it true that nanto shinken is the fighting style used by the MC?
>>
>>150418924
>Nanto Shinken
I would fail him just for that.
>>
>>150419023
>him
>>
>>150419023
Everyone knows that Nanto Ho'oken is where shit is actually worth it. Or Suichoken, but that would be a bit overpowered.
>>
>>150410380
Explain me how Shin is pathetic compared to Rei. Since Yuda was show to be the weaker and Souther and Shuu the strongers, I coudn't find anything to compare Shin and Rei. Honestly, I think Shin was sighly stronger.
>>
>>150419597
I'm not sure you can easily compare Shin and Rei since Shin got fucked by Ken but Rei and Ken never had a proper fight. They are probably on a similar level given the way Ken speaks about them.

As a person however, Shin pales in comparison to Rei. Rei is probably along with Shuu the most noble and selfless person in the series, and given that Shuu was the star of benevolence, that's quite something.
>>
>>150419597
Funny you should say, considering one of the backup stories in Strawberry Hokuto deals with Shin and how his father tried to usurp Ohgai in order to turn his style into the master Nanto branch
>>
>>150419597
>Explain me how Shin is pathetic compared to Rei
Shin is a beta cuck for one. He got played like a fiddle by fucking Jagi.
>>
>>150419597
Well if we go by the official data book the Haō Retsuden they actually rank exactly the same. But considering Rei wasn't stupid enough to believe fucking JAGI, i would rank Rei higher. I also fucking hate Shin so I'm very biased in judging him.
>>
>>150404554

Well, she "dies".
>>
File: image.jpg (137KB, 910x545px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137KB, 910x545px
>>150419988
>>
Can we call Yuria's non death one of the most iconic example of an asspull?
>>
>>150420379
which one?
>>
>>150420379
It pretty much was. It was enforced by the editors, while Buronson and Hara were against it.
>>
File: 1234197160597.jpg (322KB, 591x1794px) Image search: [Google]
1234197160597.jpg
322KB, 591x1794px
Will there ever be a HnK remake à-la DBZ Kai?
>>
Man, the pacing is such shit in this show. I think I've been stuck on episode 85 for the last 7 years or so. One day I'll finish it.
>>
File: E79A87E5B89DE381AEE5B185E59F8E.jpg (58KB, 450x260px) Image search: [Google]
E79A87E5B89DE381AEE5B185E59F8E.jpg
58KB, 450x260px
>>150420640
>>150420379
Yuria's position as the Last Nanto General doesn't even make much sense, considering they establish earlier that the Nanto Roku Seiken are the grand masters of the six master Nanto branches. Yet, Yuria isn't a martial artist and thus doesn't represent a particular branch. She's part of some vague Nanto bloodline that is never elaborated on in the original manga and her five guardians aren't even part of the 108 Nanto sects according to B&H themselves. When they did those silhouettes of the Six Nanto Masters, they were always drawn as guys. It's a clear last minute retcon.
>>
>>150421279
Looks like originally the 6 Nanto masters were all Rei. Together they make the Nanto Reingers.
>>
File: 09_188.jpg (316KB, 864x1400px) Image search: [Google]
09_188.jpg
316KB, 864x1400px
>>150421488
Did they ever explain how exactly Juda joining Ken-oh broke the six sacred Nanto masters apart? I thought Shin challenging Kenshiro was the one tragedy that broke the Nanto school forever.
>>
File: 1234197130597.jpg (220KB, 592x2250px) Image search: [Google]
1234197130597.jpg
220KB, 592x2250px
>>150421027
no
>>
File: 147.jpg (266KB, 1024x755px) Image search: [Google]
147.jpg
266KB, 1024x755px
>>150421027
>>150421889
Is Falco the greatest jobber in Hokuto history?
>>
>>150422006
Falco arrived too late to the party to be considered a threat to Kenshiro.
>>
I like Raoh like any other fans but you guys forgot that part when Yama no Fudou almost beat him.
And Juuza's was clearly weaker than him but still gave him a run for his money as well.
Some of the Goshasei were completely forgettable like the fire guy but those two were really nice. I still remember the emotion I had whenI first watched Juuza's 2nd fight against Raoh. It's pretty impressive considering that these guys were written on the fly according to >>150417437
>>
>>150422549
Juuza is fucking great. I love that some guy comes out of nowhere and gets told to delay Raoh, then steals his fucking horse.
>>
File: 21.jpg (138KB, 486x755px) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
138KB, 486x755px
>>150422549
>>150422727
I find it funny how the brawler who made up his own fighting style ended up being a more memorable rival than the guys who could control wind and fire.
>>
>>150422549
I JUST LOVE SHUREN-SAMA SO MUCH!!!!!

His "fight" was great and so deep, emotional, to the point that I ripped the audio of that episode to my iPod and carry with me everywhere. Along with Raoh x Toki, the best fight ever made in this whole industry
>>
>>150419898
Agreed
>>150419918
Non-cannon
>>150419996
Was about power

Besides all that, I got pity on Shin and I think his Nanto style is the coolest one, the Nanto Koshuu Ken.
You guys are also forgetting that Rei was getting himself being corrupted by anger and revenge, and was motivated to kill the seven scar man by any means necessary. He tagged with the Kiba clan.
>>
>>150423391
>Non-cannon
Maybe so, but it's not like Buronson and Hara writing any new HNK stuff nowadays outside that one 30th anniversary one-shot.
>>
>>150422549
Fuudo definitely got the moral victory but even if Raoh did step back, at the point in the fight, I doubt Fuudo would have had enough strength to actually deal a killing blow to Raoh, despite what he says.

Juuza was a beast, Raoh didn't even initially get off his horse to fight Toki or Ken when they first met but did for Juuza.
>>
Souther is the best Nanto.
>>
File: 北斗の拳10_117.jpg (321KB, 864x1400px) Image search: [Google]
北斗の拳10_117.jpg
321KB, 864x1400px
>>150423570
He pretty much is by default.
>>
hokuto no biggu guy
>>
>>150421764
Yuda did it before, acting on Ken-Oh and Seitei sides. Yet both saw him as a useful maggot, while Shin was all by himself.
>>
>>150422549
>I like Raoh like any other fans but you guys forgot that part when Yama no Fudou almost beat him.
Because Raoh's mind was gone at that point, he was swallowed by emotions he never understood before: fear and inadequacy. He had to face that Kenshiro with his full mastery of Hokuto Shinken had surpassed him and that even Raoh had a mortality he must face. It broke his pride and it made him afraid that everything he did to salvage humanity was for naught. He prided himself as the strongest and a ruler, Kenshiro shattered both. This is why Raoh sunk to treacherous depths to kill Fudo and almost lost for it, Raoh was a man of no regrets but one and that was how he battled Fudo. Had Raoh fought Fudo in a straight battle with his head straight he would have defeated him, but instead he sunk to cowardly tactics and it almost got him killed.

>And Juuza's was clearly weaker than him but still gave him a run for his money as well.
Juzza was a man who came to Raoh with no fear of death because his life lost meaning since he couldn't fuck his sister. Juzza was told Yuria was still alive and delaying Raoh could allow him to serve her once more. Because of this Juzza fight Raoh with a full intent to die and no fear of injury, his passion allowed him to exceed his limits and push Raoh further than anyone had before because nothing Raoh can do would make Juzza stop except killing him and even then Juzza kept going. The most difficult opponent to face is one who doesn't fear death or injury.

Juzza deserved to die for being such a piece of shit and stealing Raoh's horse. The only companion Raoh has left was Kokuoh, that was uncalled for and even Juzza admitted he was a huge turd for doing it.
>>
>>150405276
The bigger issue is that the anime adds a LOT of filler. The pace of the overarching story is fucked in the anime.

Also the anime cuts the Colonel arc in the beginning too (demotes the characters in that arc to being generics in Shin's army)
>>
>>150422006
He did his duty, just like Ken protected Hokuto Shinken tradition. Falco was a noble sad man.
>>
>>150423490
They helped write or entirely wrote most of the Gaidens. At least I know they wrote Raoh's.
>>
>>150423492
A morality down can be deadly in a combat
>>
THE DEATH STAR SHALL FALL UPON YOU
>>
>>150423490
Btw where can I find the english scanners of Ichigo Aji?
>>
>lets just wobble a cell of Ken for a cool effect

I fucking loved this episode.
>>
File: news_xlarge_heartsama.jpg (49KB, 409x633px) Image search: [Google]
news_xlarge_heartsama.jpg
49KB, 409x633px
>>150424045
Nobody has made scanlations of them, but I did some rough translations of the first three backup stories, which I posted on /a/. You can find the links here.>>150413616
>>
File: 1296708905730.png (622KB, 775x515px) Image search: [Google]
1296708905730.png
622KB, 775x515px
>>
File: spi1c_thumb.jpg (99KB, 380x340px) Image search: [Google]
spi1c_thumb.jpg
99KB, 380x340px
>>150423570
>>150423620
Is there any particular reason why they insists on spelling Souther's name wrong in recent Hokuto media. I'm guessing it's probably some trademark issue that's forcing them to use Thouzer instead of the proper Souther.
>>
>>150424349
I don't think his name has ever had a consistent spelling. I've seen Thouther, Thouzer, Sauzer, and Souther before.
>>
File: iaswydhA.jpg (28KB, 475x350px) Image search: [Google]
iaswydhA.jpg
28KB, 475x350px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzG42u15k4

I still can't believe this is an official dub XD
>>
>>150423570
Why is his voice so goddamn perfect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6IAYn-UlZk

The voice acting in Hokuto no Ken is rated quite highly, but not highly enough, it's fucking masterly.
>>
>>150424488
Banjo Ginga's voice is really good.
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 307x231px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 307x231px
Why is he so big.
>>
>Don't talk to me or my Stand ever again
>>
>>150424817
He could eat a kid if he wanted to, how come everyone in this series is like fifteen feet tall?
>>
>>150421027
DBZ Kai wasn't a remake though.
It was just a remaster of original footage with re-recorded audio.
HnK audio is perfect and doesn't need re-recording while the video was already remastered in 2008 for the 25th Anniversary boxset release, pic related.

Just buy the Discotek DVD release from ~2012 or so, since that was the English release of the 25th Anniversary remaster boxset.
>>
>>150424888
Tetsuo Hara style: every villain must be gigantic compared to the regular people. Fuudo was a villain to start off with so it all fits.

I'm surprised Souther wasn't also a trillion feet tall.
>>
File: 488868908.1.jpg (46KB, 480x509px) Image search: [Google]
488868908.1.jpg
46KB, 480x509px
>>150424438
It used to be spelled Souther frequently in older media and Buronson himself admitted that his name means "southerly winds", since he's the strongest Nanto (South Dipper) practitioner and that's what a "souther" is. "Thouzer" on the other hand is just a meaningless made-up name.
>>
File: KenTears.png (215KB, 360x400px) Image search: [Google]
KenTears.png
215KB, 360x400px
>go sleep
>come back
>thread still alive
>mfw
>>
>>150418844
For a second I thought that was Malcolm McDowell. Wouldn't have surprised me at all tbqh
>>
>>150424488
DD Hokuto no Ken 2 was underwhelming, but Ichigo Aji was mostly a blessing. Oh my God how I missed Souther...
>>
>>150410380
>Read the Gaidens when you finish the series.
Aren't the Raoh and Heart ones untranslated?
>>
>>150413616
HOLY SHIT THANK YOU
>>
Why is Ryuuken such a cocky and bad teacher compared to Ougai anyway? Jesus fucking Christ, how annoying that old man was. I bet he even made fun of Koryuu everytime they met doing groceries or whatever.

>sup loser. need a hand? or two perhaps? rofl
>>
File: 1233808827256.jpg (160KB, 606x982px) Image search: [Google]
1233808827256.jpg
160KB, 606x982px
Was that cool?
>>
>>150425251
The point when I realised Buronson was a fantastic writer was when he left me feeling sorry for Souther despite him being an evil bastard the whole time and after he killed Shuu.

You were too good for this world Shuu. Everytime I read the line about God granting him his final wish, the tears start flowing.
>>
Why did Bat never git gud?
>>
>>150414821
>Any studio would've been better than the one who did the Fist of the Blue Sky anime.
Wasn't that one done by the guys who made the old JoJo OVA series and that infamous Phantom Blood movie that literally has lost footage status?

Also as someone who never read or watched Souten no Ken, what's wrong with it exactly?
>>
>>150425439
Ryuuken's teaching method in Part 1 appeared to be
>Beat up Raoh
>Throw the kids of the cliff and see if they can come back up
>Beat up Raoh some more
>Let Raoh teach the others Kung-Fu

And then when he was older
>Whatever Kenshiro does is good, the rest of you are bad
>>
>>150414654
Link to the interview?
>>
>>150425439
Why did he trained Jagi and some other kids anyway? Wasn't Hokuto Shinken a bloodline thing?
>>
>>150417930
>(((Freud))) is why she was sought by everyone.
Explain? You mean she looked like their mothers?
>>
>>150422474
He would be an equal threat if he didn't lose his leg.
>>
>>150423490
Raoh gaiden was written by Buronson.
>>
>>150424452
>he told me many other things, but unfortunately i forgot.
>[why seizure]
>tic tac toki
>>
>>150415776
Han and Kaiser were nice. However Han basically got ignored past his time in the spotlight and Kaiser was a lost opportunity (brutal martial art).
>>
We all know Yuria coming back was the prime definition of asspull and probably most iconic example of asspull in manga, but what about the existence of Kaioh?
Surely his existence wasn't made up by the editors, so why did Buronson resort to making a diet Raoh? Did he feel like he wasn't done telling Raoh's story so he made up a new notRaoh character to tell it through him instead?
>>
Downloaded the Raoh gaiden anime but dear god it looks like utter garbage compared to Toei's HnK.
People give Toei shit for their animation but compared to this, Toei's work is a masterpiece.
>>
Don't mind me, I'm just posting the best HnK AMV ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t55VHg6R_sA
>>
>>150425190

It is Malcolm McDowell.
>>
>>150425646
http://www.manga-audition.com/zenon201610-haraxmiura/
>>
>>150427053
Thanks, gonna read it now
>>
File: last-piece-artwork.jpg (147KB, 600x453px) Image search: [Google]
last-piece-artwork.jpg
147KB, 600x453px
>>150426051
You mean Ten no Haoh. That was by Youkow Osada. I don't think Buronson was that involved in any of the newer Hokuto works outside Last Piece (which had Juza's son). He was credited as a supervisor in Fist of the Blue Sky, but most of it was really Nobu Horie's work.
>>
>>150425530
He was just a thug. He could never get anywhere close to any other martial artist presented in this franchise. A real shame, because kid Barto was cool, but once he aged..... Things got messy
>>
>>150427443
>You mean Ten no Haoh
It's literally called Ten no Haō: Hokuto no Ken: Raoh Gaiden so me calling it Raoh Gaiden isn't wrong.

Furthermore Buronson is credited as the writer so I don't get where you pulled Osada from, Osada only illustrated it.
The writing was done primarily by Buronson with some input from Hara.
>>
File: Hokuto Brothers.jpg (248KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
Hokuto Brothers.jpg
248KB, 640x960px
>>150425659
>Why did he trained Jagi and some other kids anyway?
According to a Q&A published in All About the Man, he deliberately training Jagi knowing that he was going to turn into a scumbag in order to motivate the other Hokuto brothers into improving their skills and prevent him from inheriting the art.

>Wasn't Hokuto Shinken a bloodline thing?
That was established later on with the Hokuto Souke sub-plot in HNK2, but Souten no Ken reveals that neither Ryuken nor his father (Tesshin) were actually part of the Hokuto Souke bloodline. But Kenshiro Kasumi was related to the Hokuto Souke from his mother's side (Ryuken was a half-brother). The Hokuto Shinken's tradition establishes that if a Hokuto Shinken successor does not have a heir, then he must adopt children from the Liu family branch of the Hokuto school, hence why Ken, Toki and Raoh were sent over to Japan from the Land of Shura.
>>
>>150427587
>It's literally called Ten no Haō: Hokuto no Ken: Raoh Gaiden so me calling it Raoh Gaiden isn't wrong.
I only asked because Raoh Gaiden was also the working title for the first Raoh Den movie and a lot of websites and Youtube videos have it under that title.

>Furthermore Buronson is credited as the writer so I don't get where you pulled Osada from, Osada only illustrated it.
Not really. Buronson and Hara are both credited under 原案 (gen'an or "original concept") but that's because Ten no Haō is a spinoff of the original Hokuto no Ken. Buronson himself was not directly involved in any of the Gaidens

>The writing was done primarily by Buronson with some input from Hara.
Don't forget Nobu Horie, since he was the editor of the original manga and for all intents and purposes the uncredited third creator of Hokuto no Ken.
>>
>>150427852
>Written by Buronson, Tetsuo Hara
>Illustrated by Youkow Osada
>Published by Shinchosha
>Demographic Seinen
>Magazine Weekly Comic Bunch

???
>>
File: nii-san.jpg (34KB, 640x432px) Image search: [Google]
nii-san.jpg
34KB, 640x432px
>>150426413
Honestly, it feels like it was all about the money. Just that. The story after Raoh was pretty much done, all the martial schools were done for, most governments were gone... All the big names died, so making Kenshiro go to a land far away where *SHOCK* everyone is born to be a fighter feels very cheap. Kenshiro unlocked all his powers, nothing could stop him, and that being said, the villains were just fodder or discount previous-characters to be honest.

Poor Falco...

Also, best HnK song coming through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEfC4SwEfnE
>>
File: Lifts of the North Star.jpg (65KB, 304x495px) Image search: [Google]
Lifts of the North Star.jpg
65KB, 304x495px
>>
>>150428099
The only thing HnK2 has going for it is the better art (in the anime) and music.
>>
File: CH 9-8.png (298KB, 715x1013px) Image search: [Google]
CH 9-8.png
298KB, 715x1013px
>>150428240
>>150411211
I have no more regrets...in my life!
>>
File: Haou 1_187.jpg (87KB, 1113x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Haou 1_187.jpg
87KB, 1113x1600px
>>150428033
Is that from the localized credits used in the anime dub or did you copied that from ANN? At any rate, the manga credits Buronson and Hara under 原案, which means they're the original creators of Hokuto no Ken, but that doesn't mean they have much of an involvement in Ten no Haō itself.
>>
I know it's only slightly related but the Mad Max game for PC is up for 4$ on cdkeys.com
Pretty much cheapest it's ever been.
>>
>>150428464
Wiki actually, but fair enough. Your scan seems more conclusive as far as evidence goes.
>>
>>150411211

>When he couldn't bring himself to kill Yuria and instead helped her to live out her last remaining years in peace with Ken.

Probably the greatest moment in the manga.
>>
>>150425274
>Aren't the Raoh and Heart ones untranslated?
Yes, Hokuto no Gun seems to have fully translated Raoh gaiden and just are in the process of polishing it which basically means when the mood strikes them. You can watch the anime though which is fully subbed.

Heart is to my knowledge the only nontranslated gaiden that has no active translation effort.
>>
So what do you guys think about Juza's lamer brother? I think he has a cool fighting style (pun intended), but his whole character felt kinda wasted to me.
>>
File: 06.jpg (76KB, 280x542px) Image search: [Google]
06.jpg
76KB, 280x542px
>>150429086
Forgot my image.
>>
>>150429066
>Yes, Hokuto no Gun seems to have fully translated Raoh gaiden and just are in the process of polishing it which basically means when the mood strikes them.
Does that include the Sakuya one-shot they later did to promote the anime?
>You can watch the anime though which is fully subbed.
The manga differs a bit from the anime though. It has a few additional characters from the original HNK (Amiba, Mamiya and Jagi) and an epilogue involving Raoh's son, Ryu. The anime also shuffles the order of events from the manga so that Raoh's against Souther is the final fight in the anime (similarly to what they did with Ken vs. Shin in the first season of the original HNK anime).
>Heart is to my knowledge the only nontranslated gaiden that has no active translation effort.
I did some a translation of a Heart one-shot, which has been archived.>>150413616
>>
>>150429284
I know this is gonna be a req but can you actually point me to all the gaidens and where I can read them translated?
>>
>>150429401
http://www.hokutonogun.com/?page_id=6#HokutoM
Hokuto no Gun has scanlated all the Comic Bunch gaidens, except for the aforementioned Ten no Haoh.

I think some group was doing Kin'yoku no Garuda (a gaiden revolving around a new character), but I don't know which one it was.
>>
>>150429516
Too bad their releases of the movie pentalogy are just awful 480p compressed encodes.
Did anyone else sub those with bluray source?
>>
>>150425750
She was born under the mother star and brings unconditional love and views people for their character not appearances, so all these abandoned martial artists who never knew love all fall for her.

>>150426413
It's kinda hard to write a villain in your series that can compete with Raoh in terms of popularity or character. How can you surpass Raoh? Quote simply you can't, so just make Raoh again and make everyone worship the ground Raoh walks on. That's Kaioh and Asura in a nutshell.

>>150426537
I like the simplistic art style. It's not as good as the original but I think for the story told it worked well. Also in less stylized scenes it gets more detailed. Seeing Raoh blow away that guys torso and blasting a hole into a building with one punch made me rock hard.

>>150429284
I wouldn't consider that definitive proof he didn't write it though, could be he didn't want to have two credits or wanted to give spotlight to the younger writer. The writing in Raoh gaiden felt much closer to Burunson's than any other gaiden.

>>150428464
The way they do things is they basically translate the tank release from cover to cover. If it was included in there I imagine they translated it, yes.
>>
Why can't shonen series be like this anymore?
>>
File: tumblr_nnh0w2xYQK1ruikj5o1_1280.jpg (269KB, 1024x1449px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnh0w2xYQK1ruikj5o1_1280.jpg
269KB, 1024x1449px
>>150429586
There's some HD rips on Youtube based on the Italian Blu-ray releases.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL43Ry_-V7TUxMWvEh2ZPSw_KJVT8EwPxs

Come to think of it, I don't think the pentalogy was ever released on Blu-ray in Japan. It was DVD only over there.
>>
>>150429776
Those use LITERALLY google translated Italian subs, it's unwatchable.
>>
>>150429774
Only the anime was "shounen" because they censored the gore a bit but the manga was always seinen.
>>
>>150429869
the manga was a shonen jump series
>>
File: 1480356627281.jpg (127KB, 812x650px) Image search: [Google]
1480356627281.jpg
127KB, 812x650px
>>150429869
>The face of weekly shounen jump that made them a household name
>Seinen
Are you some manner of moron?
>>
Just butting in to remind that Juza was the best minor Nanto.
>>
>>150418844
This movie was fucking awful.
Still better and more faithful than DBE
>>
what of cuck travels across the desert to save a soiled woman?
>>
File: 04_142.jpg (478KB, 1112x1600px) Image search: [Google]
04_142.jpg
478KB, 1112x1600px
>>150429697
>I wouldn't consider that definitive proof he didn't write it though, could be he didn't want to have two credits or wanted to give spotlight to the younger writer. The writing in Raoh gaiden felt much closer to Burunson's than any other gaiden.
The point is that they used 原案/gen'an byline for original authors when it comes to spinoff works and adaptions of their work. It's the same thing with all the other gaidens, including Ichigo Aji and DD Hokuto.

With the backup stories for Ichigo Aji, they credit the illustrator Yukigo for the artwork under 作画/sakuga and the writer Yushi Kawata under シナリオ/scenario.

I don't doubt Hara and Buronson (and Horie for that matter) probably give some suggestion to the authors of the gaidens for story ideas, but they're not as heavily involved with them as they were with the original Hokuto no Ken manga.

Buronson is actually more associated Shogakukan nowadays than with Coamix (the company that owns the Hokuto no Ken IP). That's why the Kanzenban edition of HNK and the Ultimate artbook were both published, as well as Yuria Gaiden (which ran on Big Comic Superior).

With Souten no Ken, Buronson was credited under 監修/kanshū or supervision, but from my understanding, he doesn't actually do that much supervising. There's an Italian translation of an interview with Hara from the time when Souten no Ken started publication in which he said that he deliberately left Buronson out of Souten no Ken's creation process due to the politics that surrounded Coamix's formation.
>>
https://youtu.be/9V3O9dDj4Ck
>>
Anyone know where I can find subs for the last movie from the pentalogy? I actually managed to track down accurate fansubs for the first four that weren't HnG's 480p hardsub cancer, but I can't find any for the last one (Kenshiro Zero).
Alternatively what would be the best way to OCR them from HnG's video?
>>
>>150430487
The previously posted interview with Hara seems to have some information on Hara's involvement in spin-offs.>>150427053 It mostly applies to Gifu-Dodo, his Hana no Keiji spin-off, but I would imagine it's applicable to the Hokuto Gaiden series as well.
>“Spin-off” works are also important in similar ways. It can be a way to bring new readers to existing worlds of his creations. Today Hara-sensei actively takes part in the creation of spin-off works such as the “Gifu-Do-Do” series. Sensei creates the ever-so-important “characters”, not just physical appearance and anatomy but also the “Personalities” that “animate” the characters, making them act like real human beings. Sensei then supervise the creation by young creators, reviewing story boards and making improvements where necessary.
>>
>>150430458
I don't know, what kind of cuck makes a human-like doll of the girl that loved another man so much she jumped off of the side of a skyscraper.
>>
File: 02_042.jpg (205KB, 741x1200px) Image search: [Google]
02_042.jpg
205KB, 741x1200px
>>150431128
>Shin gets told.
>>
>>150430246
Unlike Dragon Ball, I think Hokuto no Ken could work on live-action if it had a decent budget and was done 300-style.
>>
>>150424969
looks like they just upscaled the old DVD and did some color correction, and blur the picture, and then scaled back to 480p
>>
>>150432539
Son the old DVD master was terrible and literally VHS sourced.
This is a proper digital transfer.
>>
File: o0800106712129713927.jpg (128KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
o0800106712129713927.jpg
128KB, 800x1067px
>>150424969
>HnK audio is perfect and doesn't need re-recording
It's in monaural only unfortunately and apparently Toei lost the original masters. For some reason, they did do a stereo mix of the soundtrack for a series of compilation movies they released on VHS back when the anime was still in its first-run broadcast.
>>
>>150432773
The Discotek release is stereo though

Video: H.264/AVC 640x478 23.976fps [V: Hokuto no Ken 024 [jpn] (h264 high 10 L4.1, yuv420p10le, 640x478) [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz stereo 384kbps [A: Japanese Audio 2.0 [jpn] (ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 384 kb/s) [default]]
>>
>>150433064
That's weird. Almost all the audio clips I heard seem to be monaural.

Just listen to the audio of this clip from the first compilation movie and then compare to almost any other version of the same scene from other uploads. The music is almost CD quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ-BamTymSI
>>
>>150432706
>>150433064
Is the dub in the Discotek DVDs the same one that has that awful drum 'n bass soundtrack from the Manga Video VHS releases? What were they thinking?
>>
>>150433958
I didn't ever watch the Eng track so no idea, but it's only for the first 36 episodes so I assume it's whatever that shitty original dub you're talking about.
>>
>>150414314

Other than Hashi there, any reason why for the Shin Kyuuseishu Densetsu movies Daisuke Gouri voiced Fudo instead of reprising as Akashachi? In general, any reason why the cast of the Toei anime sans Kamiya never reprised their roles other than the fighting game Arc System Works made?
>>
>>150434038
They got too expensive or died. I know Kamiya is 100% confirmed to have gotten too expensive.
>>
>>150434117
The last Hokuto no Ken related thing Kamiya did was the 3D Hokuto no Ken beat-'em-up released in 2000 on the original PlayStation and some Souten no Ken Drama CD that was distributed as a promotional giveaway with the premier issue of Comic Bunch in 2001.

I always assumed that Tetsuo Hara and Nobu Horie leaving Shueisha to form their company might had something to do with it (since Toei temporarily replaced Kamiya in some Kinnikuman project they were working on at the time), but then I remember Kamiya also reprised his role as Ryo Saeba in Angel Heart and that was also a Coamix property.
>>
>>150434319
That PS1 game is fucking amazing and aged like fine wine.
>>
>>150403649
>the opening song is near impossible to find a full length version of it
>remember I had it saved from years ago
phew
>>
>>150434392
So it changed?
What?
>>
File: HNKPSX.jpg (81KB, 640x625px) Image search: [Google]
HNKPSX.jpg
81KB, 640x625px
>>150434392
I like how you could replay the cutscenes after completing the game once and rearrange dialogue. It reminds me of the Casting Theater in MGS2.
>>
>>150434501
>you wa shock
>impossible to find full length
u wot
>>
File: img000011[1].jpg (421KB, 970x1400px) Image search: [Google]
img000011[1].jpg
421KB, 970x1400px
What does /a/ think of Yuria Gaiden?
>>
>>150434851
I always forget it exists. I'm guessing the fact it was published Big Comic Superior instead of Comic Bunch and only got one tankobon has something to do with it. That and it doesn't have much action in it since it's pre-apocalyptic.
>>
File: 028.jpg (214KB, 640x941px) Image search: [Google]
028.jpg
214KB, 640x941px
>>150434851
My main problem with gaidens is they weren't drawn by Hara.

The art is just awful.

The fucking studio tar Jagi porn doujin has better art than any of these gaidens.
>>
>read the manga a year ago
>first thing it says is that the proper name is hokuto shinken
>retarded plebs still call it hokuto no ken
>>
File: news_xlarge_zenon-shin.jpg (210KB, 610x872px) Image search: [Google]
news_xlarge_zenon-shin.jpg
210KB, 610x872px
>>150435142
I thought Toki Gaiden was pretty well drawn and Yukito stuff (pic related) ain't half-bad either. YMMV of course depending on the spinoff and title.
>>
>>150435223
You mean the martial art or the manga's title? The martial art is indeed Hokuto Shinken, but the manga is titled Hokuto no Ken (since it's supposed to be a play on words).
>>
>>150435223
The series is called Hokuto no Ken
The martial art is called Hokuto Shinken

Why is it so hard to grasp you crossboarding nigger?
>>
>>150435299
>>150435341
Its the name of the manga, morons.
>>
>>150435360
Please go back to /v/ or whatever shithole you crawled out of.
>>
>>150435360
Don't lump me with the other moron, idiot.
>>
>>150435400
>calling me a moron
>when I said the exact same thing you did
You should go back, same as that /v/ermin nigger.
>>
>>150435464
I assumed the other moron read some Chinese translation, since Hokuto no Ken was called Beidou Shen Quan in China. At any rate, you're probably him samefagging to derail this thread.
>>
File: Untitled.png (60KB, 1428x856px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
60KB, 1428x856px
>>150435505
Please neck yourself.
>>
>>150434117

And given that in the Shin Hokuto no Ken OVA that Takehito Koyasu voiced Kenshiro there, why couldn't he be the go-to guy for voicing Kenshiro in the Shin Kyuseishu Densetsu movies and Tecmo Koei's games?
>>
>>150435880
Because Koyasu's voice is too villanous. Especially after DIO memes.
>>
>>150435895

But Koyasu was Rei in those aforementioned games by Tecmo Koei.
>>
>>150435959
Rei was an anti-hero.
>>
>>150435645
Why the hell did you reply to your own reply calling yourself a moron?
>>
>>150436569
>I don't know how to read 4chan
Yeah you need to go back
>>
>>150435880
>>150435959
I'll always remember Koyasu as Bobobo
>>
>>150436591
>triggered
>>
File: 01.jpg (120KB, 522x768px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
120KB, 522x768px
Bumping to ask if anyone has ever dump the eBook edition of the HNK manga online. I don't see any torrents for it and they seem to the best quality versions of the manga digitally, since they retain the colored artwork in certain chapters. The manga really is in dire need of a new scanlation, considering the current scanlation is pretty inconsistent in terms of quality (the raws they used for the later volumes in particular are pretty shitty).

http://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/2841/
>>
>>150437580
Sorry but no, would dump if I did.

On a side note, I got my hands on perfect subs for the movie pentalogy, including Kenshiro Zero, that can be used with those italian bluray rips without having to suffer italian google translated subs.

Anyone wants?
>>
>>150403649
>did the author originally plan for just the Shin arc and that was to be it but then it got too popular so he had to keep going and asspull a new school?
And 30 years later, we blame Kubo about the same thing.
>>
File: Akagi.png (169KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Akagi.png
169KB, 640x480px
What's going on in this thre..
>>
File: Retarded.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Retarded.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>150437682
>>
>>150437627
Sure. Bring it on.
>>
>>150437627
>On a side note, I got my hands on perfect subs for the movie pentalogy, including Kenshiro Zero, that can be used with those italian bluray rips without having to suffer italian google translated subs.
How the hell did the Italian BD ended up with Google Translate subs? Is there a story behind. You would think they would treat a Hokuto sub with more care, considering the franchise was big over there when the anime aired under the Ken il Guerriero title.
>>
>>150438270
>>150439004
Back sorry was making lunch at 6:40 AM no less.

Lemme time them to the CtrlHD BD rips real quick.

As for the google translated subs.

The BDs were released for Italian market only and thus have perfect Italian subs.
The English subs were just CtrlHD (the group that ripped the BDs) running the Italian sub through google translate since they don't know Italian, simple as that.
>>
>>150439127
Ah, I get it now. You meant the English language subs. I was under the impression the Italian language subs were badly translated.
>>
>>150439200
>I was under the impression the Italian language subs were badly translated.
Haha no, that would be awful indeed.

I'm only sad that no group did a 1080p rip of those blurays. We only have 1080p of the first movie (the one with Souther). Raoh movie and Kenshiro Zero as well as the Yuria an Toki OVAs we're stuck with 720p CtrlHD rips.
>>
>>150439349
>I'm only sad that no group did a 1080p rip of those blurays. We only have 1080p of the first movie (the one with Souther). Raoh movie and Kenshiro Zero as well as the Yuria an Toki OVAs we're stuck with 720p CtrlHD rips.
Were the movies even mastered beyond 720p to begin with? They were made during the digital animation ghetto of the mid-2000's (before Blu-ray and HD TVs were widespread) and a lot of animation studios were still recording their movies at sub-HD resolution.
>>
File: H5ekfibLHGs0HQ5ZEDFb==.png (2MB, 1916x1076px) Image search: [Google]
H5ekfibLHGs0HQ5ZEDFb==.png
2MB, 1916x1076px
>>150439561
Yes, there's a very visibile difference in quality and sharpness between th 720p and 1080p encode of the Souther movie.
It may not have been mastered in 1080p but definitely at least 900p.
Just look at pic related.

These movies look absolutely amazing.
>>
File: H5akfibLHGsZVVgtseIc==.png (2MB, 1916x1076px) Image search: [Google]
H5akfibLHGsZVVgtseIc==.png
2MB, 1916x1076px
>>150439682
>>
Also still retiming subs so bear with me.
>>
>>150439722
Lin looks cuter than usual in these movies.
>>
Ok sorry for taking so long, tried to make them fit the substyling of the first HnK movie (the one from the 80s) in addition to cleaning them up a bit as well, here's the subs for all 5 movies (well, technically 3 movies + 2 ovas):
https://u.nya.is/ibhysc.7z

They are for these releases:
Fist.of.the.North.Star.1.Legend.of.Raoh.Death.for.Love.2006.720p.BluRay.x264-CtrlHD

Fist.of.the.North.Star.2.Legend.of.Yuria.2007.720p.BluRay.x264-CtrlHD

Fist.of.the.North.Star.3.Legend.of.Raoh.Fierce.Fight.2007.720p.BluRay.x264-CtrlHD

Fist.of.the.North.Star.4.Legend.of.Toki.2008.720p.BluRay.x264-CtrlHD

Fist.of.the.North.Star.5.Legend.of.Kenshiro.2008.720p.BluRay.x264-CtrlHD

Japan never got the Bluray releases, Bluray only got released in Germany and Italy as far as I know with German and Italian only subs respectively.
Those 720p rips are based on the Italian BDs.
>>
File: DonQuixote_of_Iron_01_000x-1.jpg (297KB, 978x1400px) Image search: [Google]
DonQuixote_of_Iron_01_000x-1.jpg
297KB, 978x1400px
>>150440658
Thanks, anon. You have the look of a hero.
>>
>>150441050
I don't, trust me on that. But you're welcome anyway.
>>
>First (of the 00s) movie is called Legend of Raoh
>is actually about Souther

Why
>>
>>150434657
The version from the anime.
Every version I have been able to find lately is a live version or a movie/game one.
>>
File: 060ad060caf47e5930f6a8f18451e447.jpg (130KB, 720x1196px) Image search: [Google]
060ad060caf47e5930f6a8f18451e447.jpg
130KB, 720x1196px
>>150441814
Well the movie does add a bit more backstory to Raoh's reign of conquest and gives him a sort-of/not-quite love interest in the form of Reina, so there's a bit of focus on him even if he's not the one who kills Souther. If anything, they cut out stuff from Souther's backstory, given how they leave out the whole Ohgai thing..
>>
>>150442357
Even still majority of screentime and focus of the movie is on Souther.

>>150442253
Son....
LITERALLY top result on Youtube after typing in "you wa shock".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxkezvGwI20
>>
>>150442716
>not available in your country
Thanks for trying at least.
>>
>>150443527
What kind of 3rd world shithole do you live in?
>inb4 Germany
>>
>>150443536
New Zealand.
>>
>>150443564
Well can't say I know much about NZ other than it being the site of LotR movies.
Stilll shitty that your YT is censored.
>>
>>150413616
Based anon. Christmas has come early.
>>
>>150413616
I just wanna say thanks for your hard work.

I'll try and input your translation into the scans over next month so that people can enjoy it properly.
I hope you will do the other 3 ones.

Also, anyone know where I can find these three translated?
1. Hokuto no Ken: Rei Gaiden: Kareinaru Fukushūsha
2. Aku no Kadō
3. Kin'yoku no Garuda: Nanto Goshasei Zenshi

The first two are one-shots from the Comic Bunch.
Third is from Comic Zenon and stars Garuda, a new char that Hara created for the HnK Pachinko.
>>
>>150445258
Well nevermind the first one, apparently it's translated by HnG under Rei Gaiden as "Specials".

Still need numbers 2 and 3 tho.
>>
>>150445258
>>150445494
T-t-t-t-tripple post combo.
Aku no Kado is after all included in HnG's Jagi Gaiden Vol2, but I had to confirm it with HnG themselves since even they weren't sure if that was the one initially.
Thankfully managed to get a confirmation that it is.

They're also working on Raoh and Garuda, Raoh is done and awaiting spellcheck, Garuda is done all except last chapter and then it will also need to wait for spellcheck.
>>
How was that playstation game? It looked pretty shit tbqh. Should have just lifted God hands engine.
>>
>>150447177
Which one?

The PS1 game is amazing.

Hokuto Musou games on PS3 are well, Musou and come with all the things that Musou games do. If you don't like Musou then you won't like it, simple as that.
>>
>>150447200
Ken's rage i think it was called? This is just total assumptions from what i saw on youtube.
>>
>>150447363
Ken's Rage is the English title of Hokuto Musou.

All Musou games play the same and are painfully mediocre.
>>
>>150430489
>Best HnK match ever!
>it's just Kenshiro steamrolling Rei

Okay, I guess
>>
>>150436024

Re-hearing Koyasu as Kenshiro, the casting made sense given that Jubaku no Machi/Shin Hokuto no Ken took place after Kenshiro said he'll just die in the battlefield rather than have someone bury him under an epitaph, which meant that after everything that had happened to him after defeating Raoh, all Kenshiro could do is keep living by fighting rather than die peacefully until Ryu grows up and challenges him over Hokuto Shinken's future.

New question: Would it possible that the entire Hokuto no Ken franchise is in an alternate history where World War II ended differently in East Asia? What supports this are the following:

1. Bat claiming Shin and his KING group dominating the old Kanto Region, thus putting the story in both Japan and China; the latter having become the Land of Shura.

2. In relation to what Bat said and the aforementioned alternate history, Japan acquired nuclear weapons based on what the Golan Colonel said about how the nuclear apocalypse started.

3. China becoming Land of Shura after a civil war that occurred throughout the 1970s, hinting that if World War II ended differently in the franchise, the Chinese Civil War between the People's Liberation Army and the Kuomintang continued into the 1970s.
>>
File: Kenshiro Laugh.jpg (177KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Kenshiro Laugh.jpg
177KB, 720x540px
>>150447363
This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnorSW9w9PE
Also, seeing this thread still alive fills me with joy.
>>
File: p2.jpg (23KB, 300x180px) Image search: [Google]
p2.jpg
23KB, 300x180px
>>150448095
>1. Bat claiming Shin and his KING group dominating the old Kanto Region, thus putting the story in both Japan and China; the latter having become the Land of Shura.
I think the preview for the first chapter in Weekly Jump the issue before the manga debuted also confirmed that HNK was initially set in post-apocalyptic Japan. It's only as the story goes in that it becomes geographically ambiguous.

At any rate, I always imagined that the Godland Colonel was from the U.S. or at least from some fictional equivalent.

>>150448813
>>150447381
From my understanding Ken's Rage 1 diverge a bit from the Musou formula compared to its sequel.
>>
>>150447177
>How was that playstation game? It looked pretty shit tbqh. Should have just lifted God hands engine.
Yeah, I'm sure Koei asking Capcom to use a last-gen game engine from a niche beat-'em-up few people played would've worked nicely.
>>
File: omae wa mo slamdeiru.jpg (302KB, 1244x1400px) Image search: [Google]
omae wa mo slamdeiru.jpg
302KB, 1244x1400px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uints81YYMc
Imagine if HnK was a sports Manga.
>>
File: toki.jpg (66KB, 580x314px) Image search: [Google]
toki.jpg
66KB, 580x314px
>>150449744
>Imagine if HnK was a sports Manga.
They sort of already did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmaHUaHWUvI
>>
>>150450206
I never knew they made this. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>150450206
this is glorious
>>
File: 01_001.png (2MB, 843x1200px) Image search: [Google]
01_001.png
2MB, 843x1200px
>>150425251
>Ichigo Aji
There's a manga too, but nobody is translating it at the moment.
>>
>>150448095
Yes for it taking place in Japan, the oceans also largely dried up so I believe a land bridge to both Australia, new Zealand, other SEA countries, and maybe even the USA due to the existence of the Godland colonel and Ein. Asura as china is questionable because unfortunately Asura it's stupid and made no sense since Asura was existing long before the nuclear war and they speak of it as a small island nation that has always been there. Originally Hokuto Shinken was Chinese in origin but once they introduced Asura they drop that idea and bring up the whole ruling Asura family lines shit.

Asura can be considered a pseudo analog of China but really it just doesn't make any sense as it was a late game retcon done to continue the story into HnK 2. The rest of your theory is more or less confirmed since Buronson basically admitted he and Hara's main inspiration was making Mad Max set in Japan and based around kung fu.
>>
>>150450795
In Souten no Ken they establish that Hokuto Ryuken was a splinter branch of the Hokuto Sankaken or Three Family Fists, which was a set of Hokuto branches formed to protect the three ruling dynasties of Ancient China. At some point in history, the main Hokuto Shinken branch was transferred to Japan while Hokuto Sankaken remained in China. The Taseiden temple, which is the place Kenshiro visits to learn about the origin of HSK in HNK2, turns out to be located in Ningbo
>>
>>150450968
This openly contradicts a lot of things said about Asura and it's relation to Hokuto Shinken. This is largely because the back story you described was planned and well thought out, Asura was not.
>>
File: image.jpg (97KB, 1024x674px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97KB, 1024x674px
>>150409163
I cried like a little badass, during the whole fight.
>>
>>150451086
Pretty much. Part of the reason why Souten was better planned it's because it was practically self-published and literally lasted as long as Comic Bunch did (which ended when Coamix broke their ties with Shinchosha). Nobu Horie, the founder of Coamix and the aforementioned third creator of HNK, was the ghostwriter of the manga (he was properly credited in the short-lived English edition by Raijin) and he already wrote the outline before publication. He essentially explains that the HNK saga consists of four parts.

Part 1: The Foundation of HSK
Part 2: HSK goes to Japan
Part 3: Souten no Ken
Part 4: Hokuto no Ken proper

Souten no Ken does contradict Hokuto no Ken a bit though, since Hokuto Ryuken is supposed to have a reputation as a heretic branch of Hokuto Shinken, but nothing of that sort is actually portrayed in SNK.
>>
is this true?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j_VcsTtLBE&t=9s
>>
Wasn't Asura located on the Dead Sea?
>>
I'm going to start watching the anime this month since I've been wanting too for a good while, I've already read the manga but how faithful of an adaptation is it and is the Raoh gaiden worth watching, does it add anything new?
>>
>>150450206
>Ken as full back
Beautiful.
>>
File: 北斗の拳18_171.jpg (345KB, 855x1400px) Image search: [Google]
北斗の拳18_171.jpg
345KB, 855x1400px
>>150452090
Close enough. Falco calls it the "Sea of Death" in the manga, but it's really just the world's only remaining ocean after the Nuclear War.
>>
>>150451758
>Kenshiro losing to a clone of a clone of himself

Muso Tensei probably lets him see stands given that that an evolution of hamon (which is Hokuto Shinken but much worse) can lead to developing stand powers.
>>
File: 1.jpg (474KB, 1682x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
474KB, 1682x1200px
>>150452149
As stated in the previous posts, it's pretty faithful for the most part. The first season is full of filler, since they stretch out the Shin arc to 22 episodes, so there's a lot of anime-only villains (plus Golan and Jackal) between the point when Ken fought Mr. Heart and the actual final confrontation with Shin. It also leaves the post-Kaioh arcs unadapted.

As for Raoh Gaiden, it's more or less a prequel showing what Raoh was doing before he fought Ken for the first time in the original HNK and establishes how he formed his army. There's two new shoehorned characters from the True Savior movies as well, so you might as well watch those movies too once you're done with Raoh Gaiden.
>>
>>150452149
While yes they add filler I think it's paced extremely well. The Shin arc is kinda a slow start but i felt it helped build the world really well while also giving Shin more importance. I felt far more invested in Shins defeat in the anime compared to the manga. Personally considering the spaghetti western style, I think the slower pace of the anime is great. HnK 2 however when slowed down compared to the manga is fucking stupid and makes the faults become glaring problems. The music, voice acting, and directing is all amazing so it makes the anime it's own experience and is why HnK is one of the only series I think you should see both.

Raoh gaiden has a bit of questionable decisions like introducing his childhood friends but i think it worked well and watching Raoh's ascent to power is deeply interesting in my opinion, especially since he's portrayed in a more sympathetic light compared to previously. You really get to take in how much he personally sacrificed and how much he suffered for mankind to unite it. If you love Raoh anywhere near as much as I do it's worth a watch, if you want more back story it's worth watching, I say give it three episodes and if you don't like it is okay to drop it.
>>
File: 951666896259516374.jpg (171KB, 750x520px) Image search: [Google]
951666896259516374.jpg
171KB, 750x520px
Any dumps of this online yet?
>>
>>150452434
What does muso tensei actually do? Every time it's used kenshiro seems to become intangible and his sad eyes overwhelm whoever looks at him.
>>
Could Jagi beat Raoh. I think yes.
>>
>>150403649
dont watch it read the manga and then watch the important fights on the anime

anything else is wrong
>>
>>150403649
>Currently on Episode 24, shortly after Yuria and Shin died.

Unless the anime is that much different from the manga that can't be right. Yuria dies from cancer off-screen a year after Ken finally defeated Raoh.

>And now there's basically two new characters which boil down to Not-Yuria and Not-Shin even though there weren't supposed to be any other schools

Do you mean Rei and Mamiya?
>>
File: 北斗の拳14_172.jpg (313KB, 855x1400px) Image search: [Google]
北斗の拳14_172.jpg
313KB, 855x1400px
>>150454666
From my understanding, it's a technique that allows the user to harness nature's ability to create life from nothingness, hence why Kenshiro and Raoh both become intangible when they use the technique.
>>
>>150454927
>Unless the anime is that much different from the manga that can't be right. Yuria dies from cancer off-screen a year after Ken finally defeated Raoh.
He meant Yuria's first "death". The one in which she jumps off Shin's tower before the Five Chariots conveniently arrive to catch her thanks to convenient retconning.
>>
>>150455015
no thats stupid they can see all they remember at once and can see everything as once
>>
>>150454927
>Unless the anime is that much different from the manga that can't be right. Yuria dies from cancer off-screen a year after Ken finally defeated Raoh.
Perhaps he didn't know she was still alive and you're spoilering him, genius.
>>
>>150454666
It's basically enlightenment. You are able to recall everything you've ever seen at once and gives you the ultimate battle intuition while allowing you to call on every move you have mastered or witnessed. You seem ethereal because your senses are so active you can't touched by merit of your instincts and reflexes.
>>
>>150407435
You shut your mouth.
>>
How big of an asshole is Jukei?

Ryuken tier?
>>
File: 05_035.jpg (456KB, 1104x1600px) Image search: [Google]
05_035.jpg
456KB, 1104x1600px
>>150456282
He goes beyond Ryuken-tier. Ryuken never deliberately handicapped the training of his most gifted student in order to favor a whiny less talented one because "muh Hokuto Souke". That surely didn't damage Kaioh's psyche permanently.
>>
>>150429774
Its sad isn't it? Shonen Jump went from having badass manly looking motherfuckers like Kenshiro to wimpy ass losers that look like utter faggots like Hero Acadamy's MC.

Truly this series is a fuckin legend to me and one of my all time favourite anime/manga series. It had both an amazing MC and a superb villain (Raoh) his death in particular was just..wow I actually cried manly tears at this moment and I'm glad even the nips recognise this, as shown in Jump Stars Victory game where Raoh is the only character in game to die just like he did in-series.
>>
File: 382106054.jpg (206KB, 446x762px) Image search: [Google]
382106054.jpg
206KB, 446x762px
>>150457493
The fact that censorship standards in shonen manga were a lot less strict probably had something to do with. Hell, HNK and the original Dragon Ball both got away showing off the occasional boobies.
>>
>>150457493
>utter faggots like Hero Acadamy's MC.
That dude is ripped as fuck tho
>>
>>150458042
I think he meant the kid though, not the blond guy.
>>
>>150457493
Don't shit on midoriya. He's good.
>>
File: oh.jpg (44KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
oh.jpg
44KB, 640x480px
>>150450206
>See you in 2019.

What did they mean by this?!
>>
>>150425518
How did he died again?
>>
>>150459443
The kid is also ripped
>>
File: 北斗の拳18_120.jpg (328KB, 855x1400px) Image search: [Google]
北斗の拳18_120.jpg
328KB, 855x1400px
>>150463228
He was punching a boulder in order to help Empress Lui and the others escape from the underground dungeon where they were being held..
>>
>>150463702
>punching mania at AX every year
>barely lost the rock punching scene in Ein's story that requires 60 punches

>Kaioh fight requires 100 the first time and 150 the second

That game is brutal.
>>
>>150461639
Rugby world cup is in 2019
>>
File: Kaio_tears.jpg (66KB, 1140x768px) Image search: [Google]
Kaio_tears.jpg
66KB, 1140x768px
Say what you want about Kai-oh and HNK2

The last moments of Kai-oh had me crying rivers, much like Fugoh
>>
>>150464846
He's still a diet Raoh
>>
>>150464892
meme response
>>
>>150448937
>From my understanding Ken's Rage 1 diverge a bit from the Musou formula compared to its sequel.
It does, it's the better game of the two although the framerate is worse.
>>
>>150450206
Holy shit this is amazing.
>>
>>150452149
The first arc (Shin) has some filler and some minor post-Shin villains were rearranged to be his minions instead (but in this case in my opinion it's a great improvement) but after that it's smooth sailing. Mind you however that the anime doesn't adapt all of the manga, it only goes up to Chapter 210 of the manga (mid volume 24, basically till the death of Kaioh). After that the only way to experience the last remaining 3 and half volumes of the story is the manga but you got that covered so you're good.
The music, voice acting and direction is stellar and is prime reason why the anime is so loved.
>>
>>150464951
How is stating facts a "meme"?
>>
>>150454666
>>150455407
>>150455858

I always felt it had more to do with being empty of emotions/intent so it made the user completely unreadable. Its depicted by how it makes the user disappear from the opponents perspective.

This goes in line with needing a great tradegy to trigger it
>>
File: 北斗の拳24_080.jpg (488KB, 1010x1600px) Image search: [Google]
北斗の拳24_080.jpg
488KB, 1010x1600px
>>150466292
I always thought Kaioh was a what-if take on Raoh if he discarded compassion and empathy completely and went mad like Souther did. The fact that he doesn't ascend to the heavens like Raoh but returns to the Earth as a lava statue makes a nice contrast.
>>
>>150467248
This still doesn't change the fact that his design, his powers and everything about him including the final fight were rehashes of Raoh.
That's why everyone calls him a diet Raoh.
>>
What's the best version of the manga to get?

This bakabt one I have seems kinda crappy.
>>
>>150468117
Bakabt one is best you can get.
HnK sadly has pretty shitty scans.
HnG are supposed to scanlate the extreme editions eventually but it will take years.
>>
File: Kaioh and Hyou.jpg (277KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
Kaioh and Hyou.jpg
277KB, 640x960px
>>150468223
>HnG are supposed to scanlate the extreme editions eventually but it will take years.
Are the raws even available online?
>>
>>150469201
I spoke with their main translator, they already have the entire thing scanned by themselves, but haven't started work on translation yet.
>>
>>150457493
>Its sad isn't it? Shonen Jump went from having badass manly looking motherfuckers like Kenshiro to wimpy ass losers that look like utter faggots like Hero Acadamy's MC.

And don't even get me started on Araki's ANTI MANLINESS MANGA!
>>
File: Shachi and Han.jpg (252KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
Shachi and Han.jpg
252KB, 640x960px
>>150469273
So only they have the raws privately? They never distributed them publicly?
>>
>>150469555
Correct, and won't distribute them for you either unfortunately. I know caused I tried asking for them.

See my post earlier in the thread on some info regarding HnG:
>>150446692

The main problem is that their translator has some insane kind of respect for their founder (who is too busy with life to even give a shit about the group anymore) and refuses to release all the piled up work they've already got fully scanned and translated just because he wants the founder to give it his own run of spellcheck because their founder is supposedly extremely autistic about such details.

TOO BAD THE FOUNDER HASN'T BEEN ONLINE FOR (I SHIT YOU NOT) ALMOST A WHOLE FUCKING YEAR AND THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHEN HE'LL BE ONLINE

Yes I'm mad.
>>
File: edgyfags vs kenshiro.jpg (135KB, 515x1295px) Image search: [Google]
edgyfags vs kenshiro.jpg
135KB, 515x1295px
>>150452576

Kenshiro comes off as an edgy moralfag in the anime, in the manga he seems a lot more reasonable and like a saint.
>>
>>150469389
I honestly dropped JoJo after finishing Part 4, and I only finished it because I don't like leaving things I started unfinished.

I couldn't stomach how awful the "art" got.
And the writing didn't seem any better, Part 4 was nothing but the most boring slice of life shit with teenagers but with added the worst aspect of Part 3 (Stand of the Week battles) on top of it.
And then the art degenerated like 1/3 into Part 4 and by the end it was completely unrecognizeable, it looked as if a completely different person drew it. Everyone had the same lanky homosexual proportions and sameface to the point you couldn't even tell male from female because they had the same androgynous stone face.
This carried over to later parts from what I read so I didn't even care, tried reading the beginning of Part 5 from those new better scans recently but dropped it 10 chapters in because it immediately reminded me of everything I hated that happened to the series.

But hey the crossboarding underage and such will "meme" the shit out of it anyway and call me for my supposed shit taste, because god forbid I actually want a series about muscular men beating the shit out of eachother with manly tears spliced in to continue being about muscular men beating the shit out of eachother with manly tears spliced inbetween.

I'll end my rant now.
>>
>>150470060
But the anime is word for word from the manga, panel by panel too outside of the filler and rearranging the order for the Shin and Colonel parts.
The "moralfag" is a /v/ meme created by underage.
>>
>>150469793
I guess that explains why I couldn't find any raws of Hydra online either.

I'm surprised they did almost all of Hara's short non-Hokuto works except for Iron Don Quijote, which included the original HNK pilots along with his other early one-shhots.
>>
>>150470340
From what I gathered talking with their translator (SystematicChaos) he doesn't run everything through their founder. Only HnK gets such a treatment because of founder's autism for spellcheck with HnK and because foudner recruited SC for HnK to begin with.
That's the entire root of the problem, their founder that clearly doesn't give a fuck anymore and yet SC is fellating him anyway. Don't get me wrong, I understand being grateful to someone and having respect but there's a point where you need to let go and realize that people change and their founder clearly did.
>>
>>150470541
Good thing I decided to translate those Ichigo Aji one-shots on my own rather than wait for HNG to do them.
>>
>>150470633
And I thank you for that. I just hope you will translate the remaining 3 soon. Oh and as I mentioned earlier, they've got 4 of the 6 Ichigo Aji volumes already fully scanlated as well but again LOL FOUNDER SPELLCHECK.

HnG are a great team with really solid translations but their internal workings are pants on head retarded.
>>
>>150450968
Makes me want a Hokuto story in ancient China, like "Sangoku no Ken" or something.
>>
>>150470745
At this rate, there's a better chance of Coamix finding a U.S. publisher for their Hokuto no Ken stuff before HNG actually releases any of it.

On that subject, are there any raws of DD Hokuto online?
>>
>>150470804
Souten no Ken was pretty bad, why would you want another big HnK story without Buronson writing it?
>>
>>150470881
>On that subject, are there any raws of DD Hokuto online?
Assuming you mean the manga, nope.

If you mean the anime, plenty. And it's fully translated as well.
>>
>>150433064
>>150432706
Maybe its a phase shift fake stereo like funimations? I have all the digest tape files and the remastered jap dvds are definitely in mono.
>>
>>150470963
ment to quote >>150432773
>>
>>150470889
I thought it was fine, but it gets kinda weird after the Kokakai arc ends

>>150470938
>Assuming you mean the manga, nope.
Exactly. What a shame.
>>
>>150470881
>At this rate, there's a better chance of Coamix finding a U.S. publisher for their Hokuto no Ken stuff before HNG actually releases any of it.

Why the fuck can't Dark Horse do it?
They already do plenty of manga including Berserk.
>>
>>150470889
Well, not a big story. Just a one shot volume would suffice for me.
>>
File: Kokuoh.jpg (246KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
Kokuoh.jpg
246KB, 640x960px
>>150471080
For some reason, Coamix doesn't want to license any of their titles to other companies, they want to publish HNK in the U.S. They even have a site online where they're publishing some of their Comic Zenon manga (namely Ikusa no Ko, Arte, Nobo & Her, and Angel Heart) in English. I'm guessing they're just too proud to license their titles to other publishers.
http://manga-audition.com/comic-zenon/

I contacted them and asked if they intend to publish all of Hokuto no Ken and Souten no Ken in English, and they replied that they're considering it, but they can't take the risk of publishing print manga yet. You can let them know you're interested via the contact page.
http://www.manga-audition.com/contact-us/
>>
>>150471343
I don't care about print personally because:
1. I don't live in the US and importing would cost gorillions especially with my country's double import tax and duty for maximum jewing and shitty corrupt border check to boot that will deliberately hold up your packages just to extort money from you. Welcome to Poland.

2. Because I prefer reading digital anyway on my Kindle.

What's stopping them from releasing them digitally as ebooks? That has 0 risk involved.
>>
File: Ikusa015_c202.png (282KB, 800x1137px) Image search: [Google]
Ikusa015_c202.png
282KB, 800x1137px
>>150471442
>1. I don't live in the US and importing would cost gorillions especially with my country's double import tax and duty for maximum jewing and shitty corrupt border check to boot that will deliberately hold up your packages just to extort money from you. Welcome to Poland.
I see, that sucks.
>2. Because I prefer reading digital anyway on my Kindle.
>What's stopping them from releasing them digitally as ebooks? That has 0 risk involved.
Good question. They stopped hosting archived chapters of their online manga last month, but they haven't released any ebook alternative yet. You can try asking them.
>>
File: !蒼天の拳 22-表紙001.jpg (881KB, 3492x1400px) Image search: [Google]
!蒼天の拳 22-表紙001.jpg
881KB, 3492x1400px
>>150470889
Why do you dislike Souten no Ken that much? It's not what I was expecting from a Hokuto prequel, but I thought it was passable.
>>
>>150473502
Retcons
Awful story
Yuria 2.0
Kenshiro 2.0
No Buronson
Hara can't write for shit
>>
>>150473566
>Retcons
Just like Hokuto no Ken.

>Awful story
Debatable.

>Yuria 2.0
>Kenshiro 2.0
Isn't that the whole point? The characters are more or less past-life incarnations of Kenshiro and his friends?

>No Buronson
>Hara can't write for shit
Hara isn't the writer for Souten no Ken though, Nobu Horie is.
>>
>>150473676
>Just like Hokuto no Ken.
Didn't happen until the editor started fucking around with the story, the same editor who wrote SnK which is why SnK is nothing but cancer in manga form.

>Isn't that the whole point? The characters are more or less past-life incarnations of Kenshiro and his friends?
No, I don't want shitty retreads and rehashes. By your logic HnK2 is also good because it was also rehash cancer.

>Hara isn't the writer for Souten no Ken though, Nobu Horie is.
I know.
>>
>>150473725
>Didn't happen until the editor started fucking around with the story, the same editor who wrote SnK which is why SnK is nothing but cancer in manga form.
The same editor was the reason Hokuto no Ken even exists in the first place. Without Horie there would be no Hokuto no Ken since he was the one who suggested Hara to make a martial arts manga based on the dim mak. Hell, he even helped Hara do a lot of the early chapters like the Misumi/Spade arc.

Also the first half of HNK was just as filled with retcons. The Hokuto Brothers and the Nanto branches were after the fact retcons by Buronson's own admission and even the decision to make Amiba into a Toki impersonator when he was originally meant to be the real deal was a last minute change too.

>No, I don't want shitty retreads and rehashes. By your logic HnK2 is also good because it was also rehash cancer.
Except Souten no Ken is almost nothing like Hokuto no Ken at all. Souten is more of a crime/political drama with the ocassional fights compared to Hokuto no Ken, which was a post-apocalyptic battlefest.
>>
File: o0800060011203234491.jpg (150KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
o0800060011203234491.jpg
150KB, 800x600px
>>150473967
The fact Buronson and Hara were unwilling to do a Hokuto sequel for years without Horie's involvement speaks volume of his role in Hokuto's creation, even if he's not mentioned by name in the copyrights.
>>
>>150475301
>>150473967
Even still Horie is clearly an inferior writer and is responsible for a lot of the retcon trash in HnK.
>>
>>150475354
And it was also his idea to bring Buronson in the first place due to Buronson's experience crafting storylines. He actually wrote several titles in Weekly Jump at the same time.
>>
>>150475464
All you're saying is that he's a decent manager and has eye for talent.
This still doesn't make him a good writer.
>>
>>150415581

I wanna shop iphones in between his fingers and thumbs so bad

>ha! My northern fist two-phone technique takes the greatest pictures! Landscape AND portrait! Simultaneously! That photography contest is already won.
>>
File: 161107A.jpg (130KB, 550x247px) Image search: [Google]
161107A.jpg
130KB, 550x247px
>>150475581
Wouldn't be the first time an old Hara art was modified for advertising.
>>
>PS4/XONE/PC New Hokuto No Ken fighting game

When???
>>
>>150477903
Never
>>
File: iron.png (227KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
iron.png
227KB, 500x385px
> MFW the greatest character in this series was a horse.
>>
File: Juza.jpg (260KB, 960x854px) Image search: [Google]
Juza.jpg
260KB, 960x854px
>>150477927
The ASW fighting game could've used a sequel. And not even a full-fledged sequel, just a Champion Edition-style update with a few extra characters and stages (like Uighur and Juza) would've been nice. What a waste.
>>
>>150478108
Kaioh :^)
>>
>>150470083
>even fucking implying araki's early art is good
admit that you're the fucking homosexual who needs only to see huge ripped muscles to find art """"good""""
>>
>>150478220
If they were ever going to cover Part 2, the Nameless Shura would've been cool too. He's actually one of my favorite villains in that portion, even if he's a mere mook in the overall scope of things.
>>
>>150478228
Araki can't draw shit till this day, he has fucked proportions and perspective even now despite marginal improvement, please go back to your containment thread though.
>>
>>150478502
>moving the goalposts
impressive
>>
>>150478529
Please go back to your containment thread.
>>
>>150478574
lmao I don't understand why you're this upset
>>
File: 北斗の拳18_003.jpg (183KB, 855x1400px) Image search: [Google]
北斗の拳18_003.jpg
183KB, 855x1400px
Would you recommend Rokudenashi Blues to a Hokuto fan? I know Masanori Morita worked as an assistant artist in Hokuto no Ken before he started his solo career. A few of the fill-in art during the middle period does seem to have a bit of his touch.
>>
>>150478832
>Rokudenashi Blues
It's okay, might as well read Baki too.
>>
File: Rei.gif (998KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Rei.gif
998KB, 500x281px
Why is nanto suicho ken so best?
>>
>>150478981
I liked Shin's violent fingering more.
>>
>>150479013
Of course you would.
>>
>>150406001
wow, look at that robbie rotten chin
>>
>>150479890
Can't unseen it now.
>>
Was there any particular reason why Jakoh's two sons got replaced by even more Gento jobbers in the anime? It seems like such a random change.
Thread posts: 396
Thread images: 122

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.