[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, google has failed me for the last time on this. Is there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Okay, google has failed me for the last time on this.

Is there a reason why material from the Lesser Key of Solomon seems to pop up so often in japanese media? Off the top of my head I've seen the same roster of demons used in Magi and IBO, and I'm sure i've seen it about 20 other times. Not to mention that basically every japanese RPG uses at least some of the same demon names.

Is there a reason it's so prominent in that subculture? Here in the west, it's like a footnote in christian mysticism. Is it something that originated in one work that just spread to all those others? Or is there some other reason the work itself is better known to a subset of the japanese audience?

Like I said, google gets me nothing on the trend, just catalogs of specific uses. If no one on /a/ has at least a theory, I fucking go home.
>>
>>150229330
Because it sounds cool.
>>
>>>/wsr/
>>
>>150229392
>>
>>150229392
>>150229437

Okay then who did it first? Is there a manga/video game we can point to as an origin?
>>
>>150229330
You forgot Shana, which is more loyal to Goetia by making sure all of the demons look their part.

As for your question, it's just an easily accessible catalog of things that can be used in fantasy. It's also so comprehensive (down to the descriptions of each demon and the ceremony required to summon them, plus the risks involved) that it's like a non-fictional account.
>>
>>150229784
I'm googling this still and I'm thinking that maybe the manga zero, so to speak, is Devilman. That made pretty extensive use of the Ars Goetia, and gets me all the way back to the 1970s.

Devilman seems like it's probably sufficiently influential to get everyone checking its sources, right?
>>
>>150230268
So I guess I'm asking if anyone knows of any manga prior to that where the demons from the lesser key make a prominent appearance. Or i guess if any american media might have been popular enough in japan to inspire that.
>>
>>150229410
Are you illiterate?
>>
>>150229330
According to the Japanese wikipedia page a popular book on the subject was publish and translated into Japanese in 1983. Furthermore, several books pertaining to demonology were printed n Japan in the late 1990's.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B4%E3%82%A8%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%82%A2
>>
>>150229560
Megami Tensei is probably one of the earliest
>>
>>150229330
It's probably because Japan had a pandemic of cults styled around european occultism during the 2nd half of the 20th century and most of them borrowed heavily from Crowly-esque mythos since it was exotic and unfamiliar.

It's just become something of a standard now in fiction and pop culture to exotify the west alongside that sort of occult aesthetic.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.