[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kimi no Na wa UK Screening

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 515
Thread images: 61

File: your-name.jpg (37KB, 318x450px) Image search: [Google]
your-name.jpg
37KB, 318x450px
Any fellow UK see this today? What did you think?
>>
I watched it like 2 weeks ago and t was really really good. :D

Thank you Shinkai!
>>
File: 20161124_213538.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_213538.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Holy fuck the visuals were absolutely gorgeous. The movie was stunning. Loved it.

My cinema didn't state if it was English dub or subtitles and when I got there it turned out to be a dub and it was a pretty damn excellent dub.
>>
I just watched it at my local Vue and got back now.

I forgot how obnoxious entry level weebs were, laughing at the unfunniest shit.

It was a cute film. Par for the course for Shinkai stuff, I feel. Visuals were great on a big screen.
>>
File: 1479610751200.jpg (57KB, 800x444px) Image search: [Google]
1479610751200.jpg
57KB, 800x444px
Was there something special about the screening today? It said on all the posters "launching on the 24th" and shit but I saw it almost a week ago.
>>
>>150147464
glad i caught it on the big screen, really really nice looking, place was packed out too which i did not expect
>>
>>150148344
Same with my screening.

Either marketing has been pretty strong or there are more people interested than I thought. Still, you could have scored several bingos in my screenings tonight. Graphic hoodies, green/blue hair, fatties and all kinds of stereotypes all in the screening.
>>
Just watched it in Potatoland, was very impressed but I didn't think it was the be all and end all of anime. Intro was a bit slow but everything past the twist was excellent. it's hard for me to give a more objective opinion of it considering I'm caught up in the feels, but the visuals were definitely amazing, especially the scene with Taki learning about Mitsuba's past.

All in all would recommend. I'm just gonna stew in my own feelings for a few days now.
>>
>>150148484
It was a nice twist, but I feel as though it's the same kind of thing in just about any other Shinkai movie I've seen, people that are close and bound together, drifting apart in some roundabout way. If you're familiar with his works, you can pretty much figure it out.

The way they dealt with the changing timeline was really smart, though. It was pretty subtle.

It wasn't as well animated as I was expecting, considering the hype, although the visuals were beautiful. I had to watch it dubbed at my local screening. I might make a 30 min drive in a few weeks to see it subbed.
>>
Fantastic film, and easily Shinkai's best. I predicted some of the story beats due to familiarity with his prior work but was still on the edge of my seat for a lot of the second half.

The visuals were gorgeous, the characters were incredibly well realized, the comedic moments hit the mark everytime, and the romance was downright gripping - with the moment when the pen drops on the mountain being one of my favourites from this year's films. I also NEED the soundtrack right bloody now.

I think my only complaint was that the initial credits sequence (which was basically an OP) felt slightly unnecessary and gave away that a time differenve was involved when it briefly showed their adult designs.
>>
>>150147893
Out of curiosity, how did it handle the scene when Mitsuha first takes control of Taki's body and is eating lunch with his friends? In the subs she cycles between watash, boku, and ore trying to find how he addresses himself in a slight panic.

What was the dub version of the scene like?
>>
>>150147464
I DID I DID
It was great, where did you see it? It was subbed for us.
>>
>>150148838
I'd also like to know this. I can't imagine something like this would translate well.
>>
Where is showing this film?
>>
>>150148323
>Newham
I am so sorry, anon
>>
File: 1248-yamcha1_super[1].jpg (22KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1248-yamcha1_super[1].jpg
22KB, 400x300px
I'm sorry /a/non do I know you?

I feel like I've seen you post here before.
>>
The real question is how long until a high quality torrent is out.
>>
>>150147464
Watched it in Sydney, had a decent amount of people even in a very distant suburb on a thurs night.

Never watched Shinkai before, and absolutely loved this one.

Also, this film is getting a full scale release in China, and probably breaking 100mil USD over there.
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (85KB, 960x725px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
85KB, 960x725px
>>150148911
>I am so sorry, anon
T-thanks. On the plus side the cinema was almost completely empty, and it was subbed.

Going to see it again on Saturday.
>>
File: ticker.jpg (55KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
ticker.jpg
55KB, 540x960px
Would it not of been obvious if one of them just noticed "hey how come your 3 years away?"

>At least notice the iphone model.
>>
>>150148838
>>150148873
Not him, but from what I can remember from my screening, it was just general confusion about other parts of his life like getting lost on the way to school, work, etc. They didn't try to emulate Japanese pronouns.
>>
>>150148940
However long it takes for the BDs to come out
>>
>>150148981
Cheers for the answer!
>>
>>150148617
> changing timeline
I don't understand can you expand on that?

I was a bit lost when time changed. I thought after the point she died on her timeline everything was just being deleted.
>>
>>150148838
>>150148873
That was lost in translation. I remember Taki just having a soft voice and being lost. They translated "San" and mister and miss though.
>>
>>150148981
I can't fucking imagine a dub working.
It required feminine voices from a male actor, masculine voices from a female.
It used jokes like Watashi-Boku-Ore, which don't exist in English.

I thank the heavens mine wasn't dubbed.
>>
>>150149006
Oh yeah, and the VA spoke a lot more softly and feminine.
>>
Any screenings in Newcastle? We always seem to get Jewed out of releases like this. But if it's dubbed I'll wait for the BD torrent.
>>
>>150148975
She was a kid from the boonies who didn't even have a cafe or a book store in her town and all the tech looked like it was from the late 90s. She may just not have ever seen an iPhone before outside the rare advert.

Though I did notice that their calenders both ommitted listing the year, since I went in knowing about the twist. Kind of an asspull, but still a nice touch.
>>
Sorry i don't watch trash and especially don't watch trash with 4chanfags in the same room
>>
>>150149060
The screenings are for today only as far as I'm aware. My cinema had 1 screening only but then they added one more both for today.
>>
>>150149060
http://yournamethemovie.co.uk/

Have a check. I just booked for a second screening in York since I had to watched it dubbed where I am.
>>
>>150149081
But still if i had to argue about a loophole it'd be the lack of years mentioned.

I mean if the movie made something to explain it away.

>this village has a weird thing about keeping track of the year so we don't

It's stupid but so are glaring loopholes.
>>
File: image.png (171KB, 374x347px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
171KB, 374x347px
>>150147464
There was a screening here?

What the fuck why did I not hear of it
>>
File: 1475925891447.jpg (77KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475925891447.jpg
77KB, 600x800px
>>150148975
>At least notice the iphone model.

This. This so fucking hard.
>>
>>150147464

Watching it at Prince Charles Cinema in London on saturday. I'd watch it tomorrow but I have work.
>>
I would like to see it. I live right near a big Vue cinema and I'm annoyed they don't seem to be screening it.

I saw someone ask about Vue on twitter and the reply they got back from Vue seemed to imply they were only screening it dubbed. If that's the case maybe I'm not so annoyed. Maybe I'll just wait for rips.

How does it compare to Shinkai's other films? I've felt most of them are a bit mediocre and overwrought. To see everyone raving so much about this one is a surprise.
>>
Also I can't wait till I can get my hands on a torrent for it, so many screencappable moments.

>>150148975
I don't think it's too far fetched that they were all so caught up in the moment that they failed to recognise the years being different.
>>
I curse Shinkai for 5 Centimetres Per Second. Not a single one of his films since then have ended that way, but the fact that he had the sheer BALLS to do it even once nearly made me have a heart attack during the ending like three times.

It was a tad cheap to wring it out for that long, but fuck me it definitely worked.
>>
>>150149097
Oh shit nice. My cinema has another screening for an English sub. I can watch it again, had to watch it dubbed. Although I admit the dub was pretty fantastic.
>>
File: I mean really.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
I mean really.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
>>150148975
Hi anon.
Look at my wonderful ticket.
>>
>>150149024
I liked how everyone was oblivious to it. It was like it happened naturally, even though they changed the past. There's no sudden change, just fuzzy memories.

>>150149081
>She was a kid from the boonies who didn't even have a cafe or a book store in her town and all the tech looked like it was from the late 90s.
Even bumfuck inakas in Japan aren't that isolated unless you're 90-years-old and don't give a shit about anything outside of it. She still had a tablet style smart phone, so it's not like she wouldn't be aware. But yeah, something like phone models would be glaringly obvious.
>>
>>150149182
>I don't think it's too far fetched that they were all so caught up in the moment that they failed to recognise the years being different.

For an entire couple of weeks? While one is on a phone with a calendar, with TV's, friends and all sorts of methods?

The method of how they'd find out is unimportant. It's just how the movie completely decides to ignore it instead of at least give an as pull explaination.
>>
>>150149164
I mean not only that but I don't see why Mitsuha didn't google anything related to her hometown or the comet. Like if you're getting switched around I think the average human would try to find some reason why.

I went in not knowing anything about it and loved it though, I'm not gonna lie. That's also probably because I have a soft spot for this kind of thing.
>>
>>150149181
it hits similar beats to his others but with a much more ambitious story/more fleshed out characters
>>
>>150149044
>It used jokes like Watashi-Boku-Ore, which don't exist in English.
Yeah, I saw it subbed today and I can't imagine that bit translating well.
>>
File: 1464375863170.jpg (10KB, 238x249px) Image search: [Google]
1464375863170.jpg
10KB, 238x249px
/a/ is going to shit on this hard when BDs come out. Film doesn't live up to the absurd amount of hype and is only good on a visual level but the plot and characters are subpar and there's a few holes in the plot as well. This won't get the same warm reception Redline and Disappearance got
>>
>>150149229
Oh shit, what seat where you in anon.
>>
>>150149243
Would phone models really be that obvious? People can use old iPhone's no problem, it wouldn't be strange that a teenager from the country would have an old model.
>>
>>150149296
It literally says on the ticket
>>
>>150149181
>I've felt most of them are a bit mediocre and overwrought.
Its the same here with the key difference being him having the money to go all out with the aesthetics
> To see everyone raving so much about this one is a surprise.
Most of them have not seen Shinkai's work and are just following the bandwagon. The story and characters are nothing special
>>
>>150149181
It follows the same story beats as his other flicks in regards to the cast but tempers it with a way more likeable cast, surprisingly strong comedic moments, and a certain flair that he's not displayed before imo. It almost feels like he was just more confident while writing this and was less afraid to go hard on giving it a sense of identity - which I still can't really figure out, since I used to think that the tepidness and restraint of The Garden of Words or 5cmps WAS him at his most confident.

I'd say it's by far the best thing he's worked on, and even if you dislike or are tired of his writing it's still worth a shot since the execution of it is just fantastic this time and might win you over anyway.

It's not flawless, but it is very good.
>>
File: 0qCzSLk6.jpg (69KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
0qCzSLk6.jpg
69KB, 768x1024px
>>150149229
you got a premium quality ass ticket
>>
Who hull here?
>>
>>150149266
>>150149263
To be fair, teenagers tend not to give a shit about things outside of their own little bubble, so you're not going to Google stuff about your own home town while you're in someone else's body, or even think about news surrounding it. TV and calendars should give away, but I think that's when you just have to suspend some disbelief.

>>150149294
I agree with this. I enjoyed it but it certainly is not the best anime movie ever. I don't mind "plotholes" when you consider the above, but it's not really standout compared to anything Shinkai has done before. It's very similar, IMO.
>>
>>150149298
Maybe phone models they could of got away with. But it's literally everything. boonies or not what was stopping him from going:

>old phone
>i wonder how much a new phone cost in the boonies
>wait... why is there no newer model
>TIME PARADOX

or her going
>ooh look at all the new models. I wonder if i can buy a new phone.
>wait I've never heard of this model
>TIME PARADOX
>>
>>150149358
In regards to the writing*
>>
>>150149229
Shit son. we probably cringed at each other and never new.
>>
>>150149377
I could suspend my disbelief fine, them not noticing things like that in a film with time paradox and magical comet fuckery is pretty easy to ignore if you're not nitpicking imo.
>>
>>150149377
Its still a good movie but holyshit did its reception get overblown in Japan. It reminds me a lot of Titantic.
>>
>>150149391
>could of
>>
File: why.jpg (50KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
50KB, 800x530px
>>150147464

>watch film expecting it to be subbed
>it's dubbed
>get used to it and enjoy the film regardless
>get back home, look online
>find out theirs a FUCKING DIFFERENT IDENTICAL WEBSITE FOR BUYING THE SAME TICKETS FOR SUBBED SHOW'S THAN DUBBED

holy shit I'm pissed. Good film regardless

mfw next subbed showing at cinema I watched your name at without watching it at 8:30pm in the middle of town is 6th December
>>
>>150149294
Redline wasn't exactly deserving of its popularity besides its visuals either. It completely ran out of steam after the first race. It felt to me like Koike was under the impression having fuck all happen in the middle third was absolutely necessary for the actual race at the end to be exciting. Instead it was just kind of boring.
>>
>people are getting tetchy about them not googling their phone models being illogical instead of the supernatural elements

I'll never understand this place.
>>
>>150149044
>>150149281
I saw the dubbed version by accident, and In that particular scene Mitsuha starts to talk about herself something like 'A girl like me..' and then corrects herself to 'A guy like me'. It didn't work too great and I didn't realise it was just a Watashi/Boku/Ore being lost in translation.

Other than that dub was fine, on the whole I guess.
>>
No lie anon I would finger fuck myself to death if woke up in a girls body.

No shame taki.
>>
>>150149439
Yeah, definiely. I still enjoyed it enough to warrant wanting a second watch.

>>150149472
This. I'd have heart shaped pupils and be ahegaoing my way to death.
>>
>>150149472
My entire theatre laughed like fucking crazy every time he started feeling up the tits.
>>150149471
That sounds like the best compromise they could make without completely changing the joke. Shame it doesn't translate well.
>>
>>150149472
I would never leave my room again
>>
>>150149564
>I'd better not for her sake
Kek
>>
>>150149439
Well anon, the difference is that this was not a disappointment on its own.
Titanic was not a good film.

>>150149433
Do you know who burst out laughing during the pen dropping scene? I wanted to throw my phone at him.
>>
>>150148975
>Dem fingers
>Student ticket
Jesus wtf are you.
>>
>>150149537
>My entire theatre laughed like fucking crazy every time he started feeling up the tits.
Same at mine.

I'm not going to lie though, it got a bit obnoxious after the first couple of times because while some of the stuff is giggle funny, it isn't HAWHAWHAW funny.
>>
File: 1471966805617.jpg (53KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471966805617.jpg
53KB, 960x720px
>>150149453
>Redline
>popularity
Film flopped in Japan and was largely a cult film outside of it, it was also a film that relied mainly on its visuals to make up for the "nothing special" plot. I agree that Yellowline was better than the Redline itself but the film worked as a spectacle first and foremost which people were expecting. Your Name however I just don't get the praise because the visuals carry that film and if you're a Shinkaifag you're gonna feel that's you've seen this story from him before.
>>
File: CsZgV_bUAAIUb_j_nisiedas.jpg (75KB, 492x877px) Image search: [Google]
CsZgV_bUAAIUb_j_nisiedas.jpg
75KB, 492x877px
Mark Kermode thought it was the best thing ever, it was even his film of the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpwXATNGUsQ

I wonder how many more people will have gone to see it because of his high praise?
>>
>>150149060

>accidently watch it dubbed, look online
>plenty of screenings to watch it subbed over next couple of days in town
>probably gonna watch it at the same cinema in december.

Speaking of anime films, wonder if any UK lad's are lookin forward to watchin koe no katachi. Watched that in edinburgh in october and it was 10/10, still consider it better than your name.
>>
>>150149598
I thought that one was pushing it with how often they'd repeated the joke but good fuck the crying one hit me damn hard.
>>
File: 3.jpg (138KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
138KB, 1920x1080px
I wanted to see more of tomboy Mitsuha not taking any shit at school.

>>150149629
>I'm not going to lie though, it got a bit obnoxious after the first couple of times
Same thing happened when I saw Koe no Katachi. Pretty much every time Tomohiro spoke everyone burst out laughing.
>>
>>150149706
I didn't mind the for her sake and agree the crying one was good, at least those two were set up pretty well to be funny rather than the joke being the cliche 'Guy in a girls body feels himself up'.
>>
>>150149661
Is he a big deal in bongland or something? The vid only has 13k views.
>>
>>150149783
the radio show is super popular
>>
>>150149703
>Speaking of anime films, wonder if any UK lad's are lookin forward to watchin koe no katachi
Most anime films don't air around me. One of the reaasons I went to watch this tonight was just to support more viewings in the UK. KnK wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Hell of airing near me.

>>150149783
He's a critic for the BBC. So while his YouTube channel may not get many views, his opinions on the radio and TV will get more of a reception from people casually listening.
>>
>>150149661
>Says so much yet doesn't explain
This is a common thing for these reviews. Its giving me memories of Boyhood
>>
>>150149703
>>150149768
Speaking of Koe no Katachi, anyone know if that's showing in Ireland?

I heard it was supposed to but could never find anywhere showing it.
>>
>>150149830
>>150149820
Ah, right then. Cheers for the quick answers.
>>
>>150149703
Is that screening here too?

I can never get my two friends to come with me to the cinema any more because they both have significant others while I'm a romantic lost cause. I bring up films and either they have no time for it or they reveal that they've already seen it without me. I'm getting sick of it, I've not been to the cinema for fucking years, so I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and see Your Name alone (and also Arrival), and I guess Koe no Katachi too.

The thought of going to the cinema alone makes me fucking nervous, lads.
>>
>>150149870
As far as film critics go, he's pretty solid. Not too pretentious and knows what will appeal to the general public. He's not always looking for something avant garde like other critics.

>>150149949
Go by yourself. I started going alone a couple of years ago and I don't regret it a bit. First couple of times, it feels awkard, but after that it's fine. You have to remember that you're not talking during a movie anyway, so you might as well be alone. If you relying on other people, you end up missing out on a lot of movies.

The only thing you miss out on when going alone is that post-movie chat, but that's what 4chan is for. And shitposting.

Arrival was a pretty nice watch.
>>
>>150149949
I know it's probably an anxiety disorder or something you've not got control of ut you seriously have no need to worry. Going to the movies alone rules and I find it leads to better immersion.

Plus everyone going to YN will either be a weeb or a foreveralone so you've no reason to fear judgement.
>>
>>150149949
I do it pretty frequently, did it tonight, it's not fun but you've just got to not give a fuck
>>
>>150149949
The only time you even need to interact with somebody is the minimum wage teenager checking tickets as you enter. Book it online, print the tickets yourself and get there a little early so you don't have to climb over people in the dark.
>>
>>150150074
Another added bonus is that you can end up with pretty decent seats or a bit more leway with leaving a booking until late. When I went to go watch Star Wars last year, I only booked a night before it came out because I didn't even know the date it was supposed to be out and slipped right in a single central middle-back seat.
>>
>dragged my five normie friends along to see it since it was my turn to pick for our movie night
>they were good sports about it but clearly weren't expecting much of it
>they actually THANKED me for making them go when it was done because of how much they loved it

Felt pretty fucking good lads
>>
>>150150308
Cute.
>>
Still no screening in Poland?

Well then I will go some slav 3DPD animu
>>
>>150150308
good job lad
>>
>>150150308
I know right. Brought my mate along because I didn't want to go alone, and he loved it. Now he plans to watch more animu movies
>>
Going to see it at Panton Street on Saturday evening. Then going home, ordering a kebab, getting drunk, shitposting and watching anime all night.

Weekend is fucking sorted lads.
>>
I kind of hope this encourages people to check out more anime movies other than Ghiblit, at least Film4 attempted years ago with Satoshi Kon's movies but they just seem to think everything non-Ghibli is hentai.
>>
>>150150333
i don't know what would be worse, screening with dubs or none at all.
>>
What was the reason for the body swap? Meme magic?
>>
>>150150430
>but they just seem to think everything non-Ghibli is hentai.
That, or it's Pokémon/Digimon/Toonami tier stuff (which isn't bad in itself, just limited in perspective).
>>
>>150150463
Comet magic. That impact explosion was fucking beautiful.
>>
>>150150463
Destiny, red riibbon of fate, meteor magic. That type of thing that you often find in Japanese media.
>>
>>150150498
>That impact explosion was fucking beautiful.

I loved the boom sound after the initial explosion, shit was rad.
>>
>>150150463
Comet splitting = timeline splitting = crossing and joining between each other

At least that's what I think the whole braided cord wristband metaphor was
>>
>That scene where he drops the marker after twilight ended

I'm sorry, I was the guy that let out a tiny crack of laughter.
>>
>>150150545
>At least that's what I think the whole braided cord wristband metaphor was
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_string_of_fate
>>
>>150150545
Google Red string of fate
>>
No no no, how did I not hear about this? N.I fag, and it seems like all the cinemas here screened it tonight only. Fucking kill me
>>
Wake me up from the feels.
Just watched.

Also

>first few minutes the subtitles were cut off the bottom of the screen
>cinema didn't fit the video in correctly, had to shrink it down
>if you're reading this, you know who you are
>>
>>150150463
Elder gods fucking around
>>
>>150150639
I feel really bad for you man
>>
Anyone else disappointed that they forgot everything about swapping and saving the whole town? Or at least Taki forgot that part.
>>
>>150150639
You fucked up.

I'm not going to lie, I lucked out since the movie wasn't really aware of it being released in cinemas until I saw that it was going to air near me when I watched Arrival a couple of weeks ago.
>>
>>150148749
>also NEED the soundtrack right bloody now.

It's been out for awhile.
>>
>>150150839
>Anyone else disappointed that they forgot everything about swapping and saving the whole town? Or at least Taki forgot that part.
Fits in with the changing of the timeline. He changed the past and doesn't even remember it because it changed everyone's past and therefore their memories.

I think Mitsuha should have remembered, though
>>
>>150150639
I dunno where that is but I think the funimation dub is supposed to be in theaters in 2017. Probably not what you wanted to hear
>>
Flawed movie but I loved it. Glad it didn't end on a sad note.

But man I didn't even know neckbeards existed in my area. Quite a few old people were there too.
>>
>>150150941
Northern Ireland. I wouldn't mind that I guess, but I would've loved to see a subbed anime movie in a theatre, and a seemingly good one at that.
>>
>>150150839
I actually thought the ending was better than if they remembered considering how the second half of the movies tone was like.

It's meant to keep you on the edge even though you know she most likely survived and them meeting at the end is just satisfying.
>>
>>150150430
To be fair, the state of anime movies isn't great. We once had Ghibli (which has now pretty much closed shop) or Satoshi Kon (who is dead), or Oshii (who seems to have given up). Previous other great movies seem to be one offs. They were all in the 00s, the 10s have been pretty unimpressive.

Now we have Shinkai and Hosoda leading the pack. Shinkai's movies are always fucking melodramatic considering how little actually happens in them and Hosoda's films bug me with how often he repeats himself, I liked Tokikake but after that the pattern became tiring.

It's nice that Your Name and Koe no Katachi are pretty big deals this year, though, I can't pass judgement, I've not seen either of them yet.

All the other lesser anime movies tend to be pretty poor. That recent Anthem of the Heart movie for example didn't impress me at all. It's funny how Masayoshi Tanaka seems to have cornered the market for movie character designs.
>>
>>150150839
I'm not really sure how much of the stuff from before the evacuation or during it ever happened, but shouldn't some of that be remembered and shouldn't they be able to work out some of that?
Then again, those memories are probably lost for good. It's kind of sad.
>>
So was the famous sandal maker fire in their town just another case of two people using the time body swapping to retroactively save everyone in the village?
>>
>>150150639
Cineworld in Dublin is airing it again in two weeks if you can make it down.
>>
>>150151078
Pretty much
>>
>>150151058
I hope that the implication is that they can piece together the puzzle from what little they do know, starting with their names which hopefully act as the catalyst
>>
>>150151120
That gives me hope.
After all, they did seem to recover some memories or look as if they're about to remember whenever looking at things.
>>
>>150151079
Oh shit, really? Not listed on the Your Name site. I could definitely try, but University might restrict that.
>>
>>150151120
That'd be nice. A cathartic moment of remembering everything would have been nice.
>>
>>150150978
My cinema had 4 types of people:
- normies who read the reviews
- indie cinema fans (my place was an independent volunteer-run cinema)
- weeaboos
- Japanese families living in the UK seeing the film here
>>
>>150151120
The info they have might be enough. She should still remember going to her dad and her friends can fill her in on the plan they had, and he still remembers going to the mountain and has his pals to tell him he was looking for a girl. They may or may not believe it, but it's enough to make a good guess.
>>
>>150151120
Considering how the movie had body swaps, red string of fate and meteor magic shenanigans, do you not expect them to remember everything?

The whole last part of the movie of Taki trying to remember someone pretty much implies that if they get each others name everything will click.
>>
Pretty great movie but I hoped for a sad ending instead of a happy one.

>>150151173
Did we go to the same screening?
>>
>>150151150
>>150151168
>>150151198
>>150151233
The names being the cork in the memory bottle would make a lot of sense, yeah
>>
>>150149629
I wasnt bursting out laughing or anything, but I found the boob gags were funnier later on. Its one of the cliche body swap comedy bits I was expecting, but the different twists they put on the later ones with her different expressions were appreciated

>>150150692
Was I the only ones who found the colour or font they used for the subtitles made them kind of hard to read in a few scenes?

>>150149836
>Speaking of Koe no Katachi, anyone know if that's showing in Ireland?
What screening did you see Kimi in out of curiosity? I saw it in Cork tonight. And I havent heard anything about it
>>
Just got back from watching it good film but wish it was subbed, didn't exactly detract from the film just thought it would've been better.

Like others have been saying excellent visuals and soundtrack was good. Slow start but builds up maybe halfway through and the payoff for it is great. I don't know why but dropping that the body swapping happened before their particular case was a bit weird.
>>
>>150151198
Her dad and grandma should also be able to remember that it wasn't her at times. Others may frame it as just being out of character or having one of those days, but both her dad and grandma would be aware of the out of body experiences
>>
>>150151233
It'd be like when you see something that reminds you of a dream you didn't know you had that morning and suddenly the whole dream comes flooding back.
>>
>>150151282
I remember there being a couple of times such as with a phone where you could barely read it when the subtitles were at the top.
>>
>>150151282
Yeah, they got a smirk and a giggle out of me. But some of the guys and girls in my cinema were basically on the verge of rolling on the floor. Overreaction and then some.

The last one, with him/her crying at the realisation that they've swapped again was cute, though.
>>
>People in Dublin actually laughed at the 私,わたくし、僕、俺 gag.

Surprised.
>>
>>150150692
Don't forget

>The subtitles were almost pure white so anytime the screen was bright you couldn't read anything

Thanks Odeon
>>
>>150151120
I think the point of one of them choosing to write I love you instead of their name was meant to show that the little details arent as important as how they feel for each other. I dont think they need memories of it back
>>
>>150151264
If as said somewhere the grandma/dad remember the out of body experiences that happened in the past then maybe it all still happened and thus they can remember it as not just a dream but something that happened
>>
>>150151323
I love/hate when that shit happens.

>>150151366
Not really Odeon's fault desu. It's whichever fucknugged company typeset those subtitles.
>>
>>150151282
Saw it in Dublin. It was a fair drive, but it was worth it.
>>
File: BNfDlx_300x300.png (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
BNfDlx_300x300.png
25KB, 300x300px
>>150151366
Sometimes I didn't even notice there was subtitles for the phones/etc

The agony.

>>150151391
The screen not fitting was definitely Odeon's fault, though.
>>
My based local Cineworld had subs, didn't even know there was a dubbed version.

The subs could have had a bolder outline though.
>>
>>150151352
If you saw a group of five girls and a fat dude laughing, one of them was me.
>>
>>150151244
Possibly? No. 6 Cinema in Portsmouth
>>
>>150151423
>The screen not fitting was definitely Odeon's fault, though.
RIP
>>
>>150151377
That's also true. Fuck names, it's the feeling and the moment that counts and gets remembered. I guess the ironic twist is that the names were actually totally inconsequential when compared to the emotions.
>>
>>150151380
Yeah given the fact that it's the Grandma that talks about the old fire story and also recognizes Taki in Mitsuha's body, I'd bet that she body swapped as a young girl too.
>>
shit movie for women
>>
>>150151453
>when everybody realizes they've dun fucked up
>the subtitles are almost non-existent
>visual distress and confusion as everybody works out what on earth is supposed to happen
>mentally block it all out, engage A* rated japanese translation skills and focus on the movie until somebody else fixes it for me
>fail to translate
>>
File: 60064391_p0.jpg (1MB, 7086x7086px) Image search: [Google]
60064391_p0.jpg
1MB, 7086x7086px
>>150149471
You better answer this question. Was Mitsuha's voice decent enough?
>>
Did anyone else feel like the ending didn't surprise you because you saw them both as adults in the beginning?

Speaking of which, did we really need 2 of those "show what happens in the movie" montages?
>>
>>150151541
They weren't bad to be fair. Still pretty generic sounding dub voices, but not horrible in that they actually managed to convey some emotion and tone in their voices.
>>
>>150151574
That occurred for me 30 seconds before it happened, because I recognised the staircase from the key visual.
>>
File: IMG_1082.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1082.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>150149060
dub was at vue trinity square, sub was at odeon metrocentre
and damn it was good
>>
>>150151498
I bet back in her day she even starred in a typical shounen harem romance anime as one of the main love interests.
>>
>>150151574
>Did anyone else feel like the ending didn't surprise you because you saw them both as adults in the beginning?
That and it's a Shinkai movie. They're destined to cross paths at some point or another. Anyone familiar with his work, which I would assume is anyone that comes here, wouldn't be too shocked, I should think.
>>
>>150151574
Yeah, that felt like blatant BUY THE SOUNDTRACK shilling
>>
>>150150692
>first few minutes the subtitles were cut off the bottom of the screen
>cinema didn't fit the video in correctly, had to shrink it down
This happened when I went to watch Train to Busan too.
Get your shit together foreign film screeners seriously.
>>
>>150151608
fuck yea dude
>>
>>150151574
Eh, I wasn't expecting a bad end in general from Shinkai.

Kinda knew that they would cross paths or run into eachother eventually.
>>
>>150151533
>fail to translate
>tfw when you realise that being JLPT N5 doesn't mean jack shit and may as well be worthless until you get to N3 or N2 level
>>
>>150151448
Please be fat dude.
>>
Saw it a few hours ago. Dub made a few lines of dialogue feel stilted as fuck, but the visuals where gorgeous as expected. It made me almost cry at a sappy love story.

>8 year-old sister calling older sister a jackass
ayyyy
>>
>>150151574
>Speaking of which, did we really need 2 of those "show what happens in the movie" montages?
Having a bonafire OP made it feel too much like an episode at the start.

I guess you could contextualise it in a similar way to James Bond opening songs, but still.

>>150151662
>8-year-old calling her sister a jackass
I was irked by that. Bad script.
>>
>>150151662
>>150151700
There's an argument that's been made that curses are so rare in Nip that it's much more natural to add a bit of grit to a dub instead of everyone talking weirdly politely
>>
>>150151584
Good, but I meant was her voice cute especially during the scene when they met up on the mountain?
>>
File: :a: and :v:.jpg (2KB, 125x83px) Image search: [Google]
:a: and :v:.jpg
2KB, 125x83px
theyre showing it at a theatre sort of near me but none of my friends are weeb enough to care about it. Are there many people seeing it alone?
>>
>>150150839
In my head canon their memory block opens up after the say their names.
There's plenty of fan art on pixiv if you want more closure.

I'm more annoyed that they probably won't have any more swaps now that they've saved the town. No body swap romantic hijinks or kinky sex.
>>
>>150151734
Not going to lie, I barely remember now.
>>
>>150151755
haha nice
>>
>Wanted to feel
>Didn't feel that much

I hope Koe no Katachi gives me feels.
>>
Just got back from the Liverpool fact screening and it was pretty fucking good! Can't decide if it tops him previous work though
>>150148255
God so many Normie's laughing like thru are watching finding memo or some shit
>>
did they get together or no
>>
>>150151574
The montage is the best part of a Shinkai film, I counted four.
>>
>>150151741
Scroll up. Quite a few anons, myself included watched it alone. Think about it this way, anon. If you have the choice of watching anime on a cinema screen, you should jump at the chance, because those opportunities are few and far between. You might not get the chance again.

>>150151733
I would have preferred a more childish slur than jackass, that's all. Even something like dummy.
>>
>>150151814
obviously yea
>>
>>150151741
It's just a movie. You won't be talking to each other throughout, really, and there's only so much conversation before and after. The main value of watching it with friends is feeling less lonely and being able to relate to any references to it in the future.

Watched it with probably ~15 other people. You'll be fine, it's not the best, but your experience of the movie itself won't be tarnished, just watch it.
>>
>>150151741
>Are there many people seeing it alone?

Yeah i'm wondering this too, seeing a obvious romance film alone kinda seems not worth it.
>>
>Little kid in my cinema going uh-oh before the impact

fucking killed me.
>>
>>150151661
Maybe I am. Maybe I amn't.
>>
File: HEH.jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
HEH.jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
>>150151741
ants
>>
>>150151796
>God so many Normie's laughing like thru are watching finding memo or some shit
For me, it was fat fucks wearing graphic hoodies thinking they're in harajuku and multi-coloured hair that were like that. Those types. You know who I mean.

>>150151844
That's actually kinda cute.
>>
>>150151838
>Yeah i'm wondering this too, seeing a obvious romance film alone kinda seems not worth it.
You're acting like the western release is aimed at the romance film going obvious. Chad and his gf aren't going to see this, it's just busloads of weebs. Demographic wise I cant imagine it'd be much different than when Redline was shown over here
>>
>>150151044
>Now we have Shinkai and Hosoda
God help us
>>
File: 75917239_36aeb02fc0_o.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
75917239_36aeb02fc0_o.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
So explain, is this film just gonna be showing in certain dates and then it's gone or is it like normal films where i can just go any day and see it?
>>
>>150151917
aimed at the romance film going audiance* I mean
>>
>>150151939
former.
>>
>>150151741
>>150151838
It's a fucking anime movie.

You're already going to get laughed at, why do you care if you're alone.
>>
>>150151733
I was annoyed at "jack-ass" specifically, along with other Americanisms in the script. If you're going to go for the localisation route, at least try to use more neutral swear words, don't just replace Japanese media tropes with American ones. They mix terribly.

On the other hand, I thought they did a good job at handling the pronoun gag on the roof. They basically turned it into a "How do you do, fellow boys" which worked.

They somewhat marred an otherwise fucking excellent experience.
>>
>>150151939
limited release bro. we're lucky it's nationwide
>>
>>150151951
This.
>>
>>150151917
>I cant imagine it'd be much different than when Redline was shown over here

When the fuck was this?
>>
File: image.png (376KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
376KB, 1000x1000px
Rewatched it a Cambridge picturehouse.
So glad I went to the London filmfest screening, the screen was tiny.
>>
>>150151917
>>150151838
I saw a few parents bringing their teenage kids (mainly girls for w/e reason) as well.

>>150151945
Definitely not just a couples movie though. If people are going to a date movie, they're going to pick something more Hollywood.

>>150151939
Seems to me like it's by a similar to the model that they used to release Umimachi Diary over here, with only a few screenings on one or two days for the entire year. So limited.

If it's popular enough, maybe it'll get more screenings.
>>
>>150151989
Back in 2011 when it came out, a few screenings over the UK and Ireland. I went in knowing fuck all besides the fact it was about cars. So fucking rad
>>
>>150152051
Must have been pretty limited. Indie cinema?
>>
>>150151953
>They basically turned it into a "How do you do, fellow boys"
I wish they had actually done that
>>
>>150151450
Different anon but I was there
>>
>>150151741
Your friends don't need to be weeb, it's a good movie in its own merit. You can show them the Guardian/Empire reviews or the RT rating
>>
So tell me, how the fuck couldn't Kizu come over but something like this can?
>>
>>150152134
They're good movies anon.
>>
>>150152134
Kizu is a bit more niche.
>>
>>150152079
The screening I saw a big enough film festival in Dublin. It was a double feature as far as I remember, it had Summer Wars on before it. I think one or two more shown but I had to go home

>>150152134
Stand alone movies are much more enticing I imagine
>>
Anyone went to Basingstoke here?
>>
So /a/, what hit you the most?
For me

(I love you)
>>
>>150152134
Because Kizu literally lacks any mainstream appeal at all, isn't a full length film, and is part of a series?
>>
>>150152134
>Fanservice movie vs SoL movie

Really makes you think
>>
File: 1452111988379.png (120KB, 453x379px) Image search: [Google]
1452111988379.png
120KB, 453x379px
>>150147464
>Get to theater 20 minutes late
>It's sold out
It's what I get for not purchasing in advance
>>
>>150152180
That didn't hit me at all.

What hit me was the meteor.
>>
>Stupid Japanese people drew the fucking comet at the god body rock instead of writing a message saying "comets gonna fuck shit up evacuate"
>Body swapping is over because Mitsuha saved the town
>Yuzuha will never get to experience the body swapping

Mitsuha was pretty fucking cute lads.
>>
>>150152168
>The screening I saw a big enough film festival in Dublin.
Makes sense. You're in a capital.

>>150152180
The moment he realised that she was dead.
>>
>>150152180
>3 Years
>>
>>150152231
>Yuzuha will never get to experience the body swapping
Who knows, maybe she will. The shrine is still there after all and her grandma did say that she'd had similar experiences and hinted others in the family line do too.
>>
>>150152164
I'd assume average anime fans would know about the monogatari series more here than some shinkai film that's completely new.
>>
>>150152267
lol
>>
>>150152180
The pen dropping, Mitsuha looking at the meteor and realizing what was about to happen, Taki forgetting her name as he went to write it, and Mitsuha falling.

The bridge scene fucking triggered me though. When he looked back and saw she hadn't done the same, only to turn away right before she looked at him, I had a full on traumatic flashback to the end of 5 Centimetres Per Second and nearly shit myself in anger.
>>
>>150152180
Taki living through her life after he drinks the saki, also learning that the town was destroyed, it came completely out of left field.
>>
>>150152267
>Film that topped the charts for weeks and was popular with normies in Japan
>A film that couldn't even touch Kimi no na wa

>>
>>150152267
>I'd assume average anime fans would know about the monogatari series
The average anime fan's anime knowledge only goes up to DBZ. Monogatari shit is niche as fuck due to the lack of action and ecchi
>>
>>150152267
I dont think they'd know much about either, but with Kimi all you have to do is show them a pretty trailer and tell them the glorious Nips are wild for this, while with mono you have to tell them to sit down and watch several series first
>>
>>150152231
Oh, this reminds me actually. Foreign pronounciation of Japanese names.It's a problem. Not so much of a problem with the movie itself as it is people speaking non-native languages in general. But boy do I hate that shit.

>>150152287
>I had a full on traumatic flashback to the end of 5 Centimetres Per Second and nearly shit myself in anger.
Every time this happens in a shinkai movie, I'm left seething.
>>
>>150152231
>Mitsuha was pretty fucking cute lads.
Crude Mitsuha possessed by the bloke did weird things to muh dick
>>
>>150152180
Hey, they actually managed to get information about her town. Nice, they should just be able to get there and it will all be sorted ou- Oh.

How the fuck do you forget that a town was annihilated by a meteor a couple years ago.
>>
Saw it in Bristol. Really enjoyed it, didn't expect it to be as funny as it was. Thought some of the time travel aspects were a little hard to follow and the ending was a little weak but overall very good.
>>
>>150152318
>Monogatari shit is niche as fuck due to the lack of action and ecchi
To add to this, a lot of generic anime fans, especially those in the UK avoid stuff like monogatari because of all the loliservice since they still go for the "anime is cartoons for adults because of gore and action, not that hantie stuff for pedos and tentacle rape, that's just wrong" route.
>>
>>150152362
>How the fuck do you forget that a town was annihilated by a meteor a couple years ago.
How do you remember something that never happened?
>>
Just saw it in Sheffield, it was the only subbed showing, was packed with Japanese teenagers.

I came in expecting nothing, and was pleasant surprised. Super glad there was a sub showing, because from the preview trailer the dub sounded like utter shit, typical Funimation crap shoot.
>>
>>150147464
This was so amazing. AOTY.
>>
>>150152362
By being a clueless teenager who didn't bother to remember it's name.

He knew a town got wiped out, but he didn't realise it was THE town until he saw it. The only problem with that scene was that nobody mentioned it after he decided to go there - but I'm willing to suspensd my disbelief for that.
>>
>>150152303
yeah in japan.
>>150152318
Those aren't anime fans, they're just people who grew up watching shit like dbz and naruto and see them as "cartoons" no different from shit they see on CN
>>
>>150152405
>Japanese teenagers
>Sheffield
You sure about that? Like 99.9% of Japs here, born and bred, or foreign born, are in London.
>>
>>150152362
Because he didn't know the name of the town. That's why he was showing people drawings of what he remembered the town to look like, hoping they'd recognise it. He didn't know that it was the same town that got struck by the meteor.
>>
File: blend-2016-11-25-00h21m52s972.png (468KB, 848x482px) Image search: [Google]
blend-2016-11-25-00h21m52s972.png
468KB, 848x482px
>>150152180
This fucking bit.
I nearly lost my shit when they decided to walk past each other but then Taki actually spoke out and saved it.
>>
>>150147464
Animation 10/10. Story 6/10/
>>
>>150152424
>yeah in japan
Because of that, it worked its way towards critics this side of the world and marketing companies would have tried to push it following good reviews from said critics.

If it doesn't get popular there in the first place, it isn't likely to be shown here unless it's in extremely limited showings. Like how K-On's movie was shown in Edinburgh, IIRC.
>>
File: 1439776978231.png (663KB, 670x792px) Image search: [Google]
1439776978231.png
663KB, 670x792px
>>150152419
>>150152446

Fair enough.
>>
File: knnw.jpg (248KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
knnw.jpg
248KB, 1280x720px
>>150147464
just got back from watching it, subbed

I was expecting an okay film but that fucking blew me away. Really glad I decided to go see it at the cinema. The story itself hits me hella close to home, too.

p.s. revenge for 5cm
>>
Factual reminder everywhere outside London is insignificant and you live in villages
>>
>>150152543
What if there's a cute Mitsuha in those villages.
>>
>>150152543
I'm outside London and I can't argue this.
>>
>>150149949
It just occurred to me, one of my two friends I mentioned here is a half-normie anime fag (he in fact pretty much introduced me to anime when we were young, his dad was into it), I'm a massive animation enthusiast all-round and I've just realised I've never even gone to see anime at the cinema with him, or ever, in fact. The closest was when I dragged him to see The Illusionist on a whim while we were in central London for something else and needed to kill some time. He didn't know what it was and he didn't seem particularly impressed by it.

Similarly I got the whole group of friends to see Coraline at the O2 when 3D movies started taking off (it was maybe six or seven of us, most of them I don't see anymore). They weren't particularly impressed by that either.

Being an animation fan sucks. It's kinda sinking in that I illegally download everything not just because it's easier, but almost out of necessity. You're lucky if you can make it into anything more than an individual pursuit.
>>
>>150151885
Yeah there was a pair of fat neckbeardd sat next to me who would belly laugh at every little thing.
alot of it was coming from the old people and some drunk (assumed) scouser in front who would laugh at things that weren't even jokes
>>
>>150152543
Can't deny this to be honest.
>>
>>150152543
I live on the outskirts of Greater London and its the best of both worlds. If I go a couple of miles one way I'm in farmland, if I go a couple of miles the other way I'm heading towards a dense metropolis.
>>
>tfw this movie was a commercial for Tokyo and rural japan

Really makes you thinking
>>
>>150152543

Define significant. I live in a nice city up north, and that's enough for me.

I could move to London since there's so many opportunities in my field there but its kind of soul sucking.
>>
>>150152543
Fuck London.
Fuck it.

Villages are comfy, suburban is practical and comfy, cities are filled with immigrants and uncultured swine but have all the good stuff closer together and London is just more uncultured swine.

Sips tea.
Scoffs.
Jeeves, sell that London apartment and buy a jolly mansion with that money for me.
>>
>>150152581
That and actually tracking down stuff can be a pain sometimes.

BDs get limited and quiet releases, so you end up missing them and it becomes hard to track down a new copy (if you're as picky as me about that type of thing).
>>
File: 1429380707894.jpg (179KB, 616x643px) Image search: [Google]
1429380707894.jpg
179KB, 616x643px
>the movie won't premiere in Spain until 2017
I-I guess I'll go to take a nap
>>
Anyone else praying that meme magic pulls through one last time this year and gets this to somehow win the Oscar over Moana or Finding Dory?
>>
>>150152645
I dont think it was that big an endorsement of Tokyo
>>
>>150152543
Taki-kun pls go.
>>
>>150152543
Considering the fact I live in one of the smallest cities in the UK I was really surprised by how busy it was. In Scotland anime really isn't that big at all and I was expecting it to be empty.
>>
>>150152645
>tfw this movie was a commercial for Japs to go fuck country bumpkins

really makes me jealous
>>
>>150152653
Brighton > London.

Plus if I ever needed London for anything it's not far on the train.
>>
>>150152424
>Those aren't anime fans
If they like anime they're anime fans. Being a fan does not mean you have to know or like every facet that comes out from Japan. Monogatari has no appeal to anyone outside the niche.
>>
>>150152667
Your Name winning an Oscar would destroy /a/.

Anti KyoAni shitposting would hit an all-time high, there would be war in every thread between its fans and the edgy contrarians calling it normieshit, and Keit-Ai posting would return magnified a hundred fold. It would literally become bigger than baneposting currently is on /tv/.
>>
>>150152290
That segment was amazingly well done.
>>
>>150152750
that was probably the closest thing we'll ever get to keit-ai
>>
>>150152667
Don't care either way, to be honest. I haven't given a shit about The Oscars for a while.

People here would unduly shit on this movie and everything Shinkai afterwards though.
>>
>>150152750
i don't think it'll win the oscar. the only frame of reference a normalfag american industry person has is miyazaki (just read any review) and it's nothing like it.
>>
>>150152645
The town in the film has made a shitload of money from tourists, several billion yen worth.
>>
>>150152653
Enjoy having to milk cows to get milk and have a farm to even grow some crops for food while i have everything here already made by you farmers
>>
>>150152180

That for me too. I know its not fair to judge development in just a 2 hour movie, but the relationship itself didn't really feel developed enough. I mean they didn't really ~know~ each other, they were mostly just pen pals, kinda.
>>
>>150152667
It stands no chance unless Funimation mails a copy to literally every member of the Academy and someone like Tom Hanks or Steven Spielberg decides to champion it and urges them to watch it.
>>
File: 1462389233480.jpg (71KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1462389233480.jpg
71KB, 720x540px
>>150152667
>A anime that contains groping and "jackass" winning over mainstream goodness

Yeah good luck with that. This isn't like 2014 and 2015 where anime should have won, there's some actual fucking competition this year. Besides the Red Turtle will get nominated over it Its guaranteed to win the equally pointless Japanese Oscars anyway.
>>
File: 1474375289510.png (140KB, 478x456px) Image search: [Google]
1474375289510.png
140KB, 478x456px
>tfw no Mitsuha
>>
>Mitsuha gets a haircut
>It looks trash
>Even the MC comments that it's trash

Based
>>
>>150152667
>Anything other than Disney/Pixar winning
Good luck with that.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html

>Voter #5: I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn’t see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin’ Chinese fuckin’ things that nobody ever freakin’ saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn’t even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.

>MY VOTE: Big Hero 6

I get angry every time I think about it.
>>
>>150152898
I'm not sure I want a Mitsuha desu. There's nothing about me to fall in love with
>>
>>150152919
They are voting without watching all the movies?

Why should anyone care about Oscars again?
>>
>>150152916
NISIOISIN BTFO
>>
File: bagpipe takayama.jpg (253KB, 1280x848px) Image search: [Google]
bagpipe takayama.jpg
253KB, 1280x848px
>>150152812
That happens a lot.

It's the same with places like Takayama still getting Hyouka tourism.

Toyosato still gets people visiting because of the K-On school and that place is in bumfuck nowhere in terms of how rural it is. Although it's more pilgrimage than tourism because there's nothing to do there other than visit the school, which you can enter for free.
>>
>>150152841
Yes, I thought there was a bit of a disconnect too. There's a very clear jump between them being pseudo-penpals trying to help one another and growing gradually enamored with the other's life and attracted to their apparent personality/looks, to having actually fallen in love with one another. The scene after the date where Taki's senpai points out he's in love with someone else came outta left field for me because of this - I really don't think there was any strong aign that he'd moved on from her before that.

But I guess that could be attributed to them being teens, even if it is slightly unsatisfactory.
>>
>>150152919
>Anything other than Disney/Pixar winning
Rango won in 2011 and stop using cartoonbrew as a form of reference. Do you know how many people vote in the Oscar committee? That right there is a small sample.
>>
>>150152700
You don't get it, the same people I'm talking about don't even call it anime just cartoons like regular shit they see on tv. They aren't even aware of airing shit
>>
>>150152938
They shouldn't, but they do anyway because of their fame and the calibre of the people voting and attending.

I guarentee if they dropped the liveshow presentation nobody outside the industry would fucking care anymore.
>>
>>150152405
But Funi didn't dub it despite licensing it for some reason.
>>
>>150152818
Just wait until overpopulation kicks in and land becomes even more valuable.

It's not unknown for farmers to be rich.

And, anyway, you buy a mansion out in the country because you fucking can and because you don't want to live amongst trash.

When you're an oil tycoon, you can just fucking buy an entire fucking village if you want. You can't just buy a city, however.
>>
>>150152919
It sounds like most of the voters voted with their kids, because clearly kids have the level of cinematic appreciation necessary to vote on an Oscar.

>>150152938
You'd be surprised at how many rando literally whos can qualify to vote on the Academy Awards
>>
>The scene where he's groping her tits, crying and screaming IMOUTO YO

Mein sides.
>>
>tfw Koe no Katachi Main Song is better than Kimi no Na Wa
>>
>>150152653
To be honest, there's more culture in London than anywhere else. It's far more varied and you get far more things to do at all times. You get anything and everything, good and bad.

Village culture is comfy and stable. It's boring, but in a good way.

Different folks for different strokes. It's also great bringing that villager charm and courtesy to the city, because it can and does get you free shit.
>>
>>150148975
Taki probably attributed it to Mitsuha being a poor country girl and Mitsuha probably attributed it to Taki being a Tokyo ikemen.
>>
File: 1475050387537.jpg (209KB, 1000x1271px) Image search: [Google]
1475050387537.jpg
209KB, 1000x1271px
>>150153056
Hell no
>>
>>150152371
Were you one of those fucking normies in Showcase?
>>
>>150152405
>>150152438
I watched it in nottingham and there were plenty of asian couples but they were all Chinese.
>>
>>150152750
Isn't this movie almost what we wanted out of Kei-Ai anyway?
>>
>>150153149
Probably international uni students
>>
>>150153158
Considering that people made fake posters, false wiki /imdb pages, and falsely subbed trailers pretending it WAS Keit-ai as part of the joke due to its similarities? Yeah.
>>
>>150153115
Me in the middle.
>>
>>150153091
The problem is when you bring a billion cultures to one place, is that they practically neutralize each other.

Yes, you have access to food from all different cultures, but its meaning is mostly taken away.
I'm for traditional values and it pains me to see all the rebellious youths going around drinking every night and then bragging about how much of their insides they then vomitted out afterwards.

But, yes, some people probably don't mind it as much.
>>
I watched the film just 2 hours ago in Showcase cinema (only like 6 people there) .

The film is even more overrated than OPM. What a painfully average film fuck the visuals isnt even that special even Unlimited Blade Works looks just as good on tv budget.

The only good thing is the soundtrack
>>
File: 58961446_p0.png (756KB, 1181x834px) Image search: [Google]
58961446_p0.png
756KB, 1181x834px
>>
>>150152115
Cool, where? We were a row behind the right centre staircase
>>
File: 59451051_p0.jpg (556KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
59451051_p0.jpg
556KB, 1536x2048px
I hate this gay spelling
>>
>>150153257
It's not just that, people tend to be more outgoing in trying new things, which can be cool. But in doses. It's a bit too full-on at times.

But yeah, you get a lot of shitbags. That's the same for any large city. Cities like Tokyo, Osaka or Fukuoka are no different when you have salarymen blowing chunks in railway stations before 9PM.

Swings and roundabouts.
>>
>>150152841
>>150152968
It was the opposite for me. I usually dislike what movies do with character development/growth but here it was incredibly concise and well done in my opinion. I really liked how they had started to slowly fall in love at a point and then only realised it much later in the movie.
>>
>>150153317
Speaking of Toyosato.
>>
File: 1467835952659.jpg (48KB, 300x297px) Image search: [Google]
1467835952659.jpg
48KB, 300x297px
>>150153286
>Unlimited Blade Works looks just as good
Opinion fucking discarded and I'm the biggest degenerate Fatefag and Rinfag.
>>
File: 59456370_p2.png (234KB, 886x1254px) Image search: [Google]
59456370_p2.png
234KB, 886x1254px
>>150153384
Jesus, they put that outside?
>>
>>150152653

I was born in Leeds and London is fucking incredible as long as you don't live in East London. I wish I live in London with a decent job and comy life (impossible for me)

Lets face it our English girls/slags are one of the ugliest in Europe and London is full of Eastern European 8/10 looking girls and other foreigners that can save our ugly looking females.
>>
>>150153345
True enough.

I thought immediately that when Mitsuha entered class that one time and got a lot of funny looks on saying 'good morning' it was because she was being overly friendly.

But then that's silly anyway
I mean you could see the village people were familiar with each other, close-knit society and all.
Tokyo came a lot less into the whole picture, and even when it was it was more 'random locations' than the village which was often the same place shown several times.

Well, it's not like I'm awfully impressed that they managed to show the difference between city and village well. Can't blame them for the bias towards the village for all the pretty scenery.
>>
Which one of you faggots in the Portsmouth screening went "oh shit" when the pen dropped like a fucking retard honestly KINDLY REFRAIN.
>>
>>150153257
>Implying alcoholism isnt a vital part of traditional Brit culture
>>
>>150153317
>>150153384
>>150153435
Is this based on a mascot or something?
>>
>>150153478
Speaking of scenery, BD when? I need to harvest me some wallpapers.

>>150153519
I was bothered by people laughing at the jokes, but I guess that's the price I pay for seeing it on a big screen.
>>
>>150153466
Not all English girls are slags.
They just need to be brought up properly with traditional values in mind so that they become real princesses drinking tea rather than 'princesses' who show up to a nightclub in a princess dress to get drunk, fuck chad and not do work.
>>
File: Ufotable clouds 2.png (1MB, 1280x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ufotable clouds 2.png
1MB, 1280x600px
>>150153386

I wish Im baiting and meme'ing but it wasnt that amazing at all its just more shiny. The BD version of UBW looks just as good if not better on some parts. I cant even imagine how visually good Heavens Feel would look like considering Kara No kyoukai was almost a decade ago.
>>
>>150153519
Was this at the Vue? If so probably one of cancer anime soc people
>>
>>150153435
It's effectively a breadcrumb trail to the K-On school. There's literally nothing else in the village/town, but if you follow the signs, you end up there.

>>150153466
People living in suburbia isn't bad in terms of looks, but whatever, it's the same anyhwere. People with more money can afford to live well and look after themselves. That's neither here nor there and not for /a/.
>>
>>150153137
I'm not sure what you mean by that anon. I did indeed attend the Showcase showing.
>>
>>150153548
There's traditional sensible alcoholism and then there's clubbing chad alcoholism.

Okay, divide both sides of the equation and alcoholism isn't the problem.
Chad is.
Fuck chad.
>>
What the fuck is with people obnoxiously laughing out loud in cinema?

I might be insane but I remember people being relatively quiet the last couple years I went to see movies, there was an occasional heh, but not this HAHAHAHAHAHA for 4 seconds on one joke.

This happened to me last week with fbawtft and now with Your Name.

Why
>>
>>150153548
It is and that's depressing. We brought so much to the world (and forced it on a lot of the world) and now we've lost our power and our integrety. Our cultural touchstone is drinking 'til we puke. It's not much to be proud of.
>>
>>150153625
You barely get it for regular movies in my experience.

For this, it's just weebs that lap up anything to do with Japan because it's SO CURAZEE AND WACKY, so even the unfunniest shit that you'd ignore in every day life is hilarious if it has a Japanese association.
>>
Can the Britfags please chill the fuck out about your dead culture and get back to talking about anime
>>
>>150153639
>integrety
*integrity
>>
File: 9383645996_a80c085f14_b.jpg (368KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
9383645996_a80c085f14_b.jpg
368KB, 1024x683px
>>150153676
This.

>>150153586
Not them, but I imagine my local university's anime soc went to the showing tonight.

Also, I wish they showed more of Mitsuha's dad getting told. Fuck that guy.
>>
File: 20161125_011221.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161125_011221.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Just watched it today, it's really good and this is coming from someone who had pretty high expectations already.
>>
File: pepe.png (108KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
108KB, 400x381px
>>150153780
>Mem free
>>
>>150153780
>price 0.00
>>
>>150153813
Oh well, not everyone is as rich as you anon ;_;
also
>frogposting
anon pls
>>
File: あたしも!.gif (2MB, 600x214px) Image search: [Google]
あたしも!.gif
2MB, 600x214px
>>150152180
I was so scared he was gonna pull a 5 Centimeters, but then Taki actually called her name and we got a happy ending. Me and everyone else watching it at Anime Expo literally leaped out of our seats cheering. I was crying uncontrollably along with my friends. I love this movie so fucking much.
>>
>>150152231
>Stupid Japanese people drew the fucking comet at the god body rock instead of writing a message saying "comets gonna fuck shit up evacuate"
I think that might have been drawn after the last time it passed 1,000 years ago or whatever when a similar thing happened. The whole towns built around a crater and the rocks in one too.
>>
>>150153938
That's the impression I got.

Long story short, stop building fucking towns there.
>>
How romantic was it
>>
>>150153938
>>150152231
Yeah it seemed pretty clear that the cave painting was from the first pass of the comet.
>>
>>150153928
Considering how far out of the way they went to see each other after the train thing, I'd have been pissed if they didn't.

>>150154049
Not very, to be honest. It's still really cute.
>>
>>150153676
I want more anime in the UK.
We don't get much.

>>150154049
It warmed my heart. Everything was soft, from the art style to the relationships, and I loved it for that.
>>
>>150154049
Idunno, I guess it depends on the person.

[spoilers]I want to die[/spoiler]
>>
>>150154049
Barely any for first half.

Then the guy falls in love with her.

The movie ends with both being in love

Mitsuha never seemed like she was in love with Taki and just wanted to not die desu.
>>
Was the ending bittersweet as expected?
>>
>>150154049
Girl Taki getting friendly with the girls and Boy Mitsuha getting buddy-buddy with the boys were by far the most romantic and heart-touching moments.
>>
BD when?
>>
>>150154114
It's a happy ending.

Nothing bittersweet about it.
>>
>>150154123
This.
>>
>>150154114
Despite the ending being a nod to 5cm, it was actually a happy one.
>>
>>150154014
>Long story short, stop building fucking towns there.
It's cool. One day the it'll just get too small and disappear.
>>
>>150154114
Somewhat open, as per 99.9% of other Japanese things. But definitely leaning more towards happy.
>>
So as far as we know,there isnt a subbed ver out?
>>
I wanted to see Mitsuha(boy) on a date with Okudera. (no /u/fag, I just wanted a cute date)

Fucking body swapping hijinks.
>>
File: yes.png (37KB, 625x462px) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
37KB, 625x462px
>>150154221
>>
>>150154221

There isn't anything past something that looks like total shit, and you shouldn't watch it like that. Wait the 7 months it'll take for bluerays.
>>
>>150154286

Okay I'll wait then,sounds really great desu
>>
File: 60014920_p2_master1200.jpg (180KB, 720x1024px) Image search: [Google]
60014920_p2_master1200.jpg
180KB, 720x1024px
>>150154112
Mitsuha loves Miki. She was so disappointed she didn't get to go on that date.
>>
>>150154323
>7 months
fuck, why so long? I don't want to watch it dubbed in my native language
>>
Tomboy Mitsuha was great, but what if the ponytail was tied with a red braided cord?
>>
>>150154396
Japan still takes a long time for BD releases, for some reason. If a movie comes out in June, you should expect it to have a BD release around Christmas at the earliest.
>>
This Movie just made me want to watch a movie about young adults living in Tokyo.
>>
>>150152341
>Foreign pronunciation of Japanese names.
As a trilingual colonial subject of yours, I can tell you from experience that randomly switching accents for a word or two just to get the pronunciation "right" is jarring as fuck, and more often than not you just stick with the accent of whatever language you are primarily speaking at the time whether you are speaking your mother tongue or your second language.
>>
what if we can get 2ch to help us out haha
>>
>>150154472
You'll take your high school setting and you'll like it
>>
>>150154490
I don't mean to that extent. But over pronouncing. In the movie, Itomori is pronounced EEtomori. Itomori with "It" like "it" would have been fine. It's little things.
>>
What was that about the Grandma saying her and the mother had experienced body switching before? I thought it was more related to the comet than anything.
>>
>>150154490
You can't win.

>Translate names to English sounding ones, Taki becomes Tony and Mitsuha becomes Margery.
or
>Don't translate and pronounce them like a retard
>>
>>150153813
Fuck off.
>>
>>150154490
>>150152341
With that said there are limits of course, even if you have to say it with an American affect there is no excuse for saying "Kye-oh-to" or "carry-oh-key"
>>
>>150154472
It'd just be people going out to eat and getting pissed.
>>
>>150154646
And?
>>
>>150154672
It might not be as enjoyable as it sounds.

That said, if it was something on par with Shirobako.
>>
So did Mitsuha convince her dad to evacuate the town by telling him that she swapped bodies and stuff which reminded him of when he did when he was younger? It happened to Mitsuha's mother and grandmother so it must have happened to her dad as well. Red string of fate/marriage and all that.
>>
>>150154540
Sounds like the Pokemon dub over-pronouncing "PEE-kachu".

Maybe the voice director wanted to respect that it's "I" and "to" rather than "It" and "o"?
>>
>>150154049
Romantic in the best way possible. I haven't shipped a couple this hard in a long time. Taki and Mitsuha are just so fucking adorable together.
>>
>>150154927
Are you retarded? Her dad isn't from the same bloodline as her mom and grandma, that would be incest.

She just said
>Look at the pieces of meteor falling down like I said, now evacuate everyone
>>
>>150154927
That was my assumption. He was a folkloreist or something that was drawn to the town, right? Those experiences probably led him there.

>>150154985
He means Mitsumum jumpiing into Mitsudad's body
>>
Okay /a/ just found out this film will be coming to my local cinema on 6th December. So I'd like to ask is it worth watching?
>>
>>150155077
Yeah, do it
>>
>>150154959
It's quite sweet how it builds up.
>>
>>150154985
Are you retarded? The grandmother says that the women in their bloodline swap and the red string implies it is with the person they are destined to be with so her dad would have swapped with her mom.
>>
>>150155077
Yeah it was worth it for me
>>
>>150155077
Yes. Even if you don't like it in the end, anime on a big screen isn't an opportunity you should waste.
>>
>>150155077
Definitely. Get on that shit.
>>
>>150155113
You're reaching so hard with this, nowhere in the movie we are told that her grandma married the boy she swapped with since she just calls him a random fucking boy
>>
The story felt like typical Shinkai schlock with a new twist/coat of paint on it and I so expected it to end when they walked past each other the first time. It was almost like that was supposed to be the end (in previous Shinkai films it would have been) and then the production committee said "no that will never sell make it happy". The production quality was also great too. Overall enjoyable but not an all time classic or anything.
>>
I remember watching like 60% of 5cm per second like 7 years ago, but other than that I haven't seen any of his other film, so gonna watch that properly now.

Are any of Shinkai's other films as good as Your Name? Really enjoyed it.
>>
>>150155092
>>150155116
>>150155150
>>150155124
>anime on a big screen isn't an opportunity you should waste.

Alright I'll do it, as you have a point that this is a rare opportunity, since the only other anime I've ever watched in a cinema was the first Pokémon movie.
>>
>>150155226
I adored Voices of a Distant Star. The CG is pretty shitty and dated, even when it was new, but the story is pretty well grounded with regards to relationships with people around you.
>>
Just here to say thanks to those anon who posted spoiler shyt, i was expecting something i dont like at all because the spoiler turns out the plot was awesome.

but i still doubting is shinkai satisfy with this kind of ending this time we dont even need painkiller for stomach hurt

kind of want to know how good is the english dub...in here we dub too but they always fuck up the job, our va having problem to catch character's emotion or voice just simply dosent fit, people they hire either untrained or didnt work as va before, like, hire a singer.
>>
>>150155480
It's decent as far as dubs go.

But the VAs still have terrible generic dub voices, but they aren't as monotonous as what you usually get in English dubs.
>>
>>150155625

It sounded passable from the trailer, but I'm honestly really bored of the same American accents in dubs. The main girl sounded like every main girl in funimation dubs nowadays
>>
Speaking of VA, Mitsuha's seiyuu was great, and I don't think I heard her in anything else before.

>Also that Kana Hanazawa 5 sentence role
>>
>>150155754
I prefer American dubs to the Southeast Asian ones we get on Animax Asia where I'm from.

And, well, the source is all Tokyo accents anyway.

Are there any examples of Brit dubs besides a handful of episodes of Urusei Yatsura and Xenoblade?
>>
File: kanano.jpg (94KB, 785x662px) Image search: [Google]
kanano.jpg
94KB, 785x662px
>>150155823

>Mfw hearing KanaHana on the big screen

Never in my wildest dreams.
>>
>>150155911
>Are there any examples of Brit dubs besides a handful of episodes of Urusei Yatsura and Xenoblade?
No. British media is almost entirely dependent on Americans.
>>
>>150155754
>>150155625
almost forgot there is English dubbed trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0wTdCQoc2k
is this version of dub being using around every English language country? like UK, US, Aussie and so on?

the only good dubbed film here is Mulan, although we speak Mandarin here but Chinese still got their own VAs for it, so it got like 2~3 version of Mandarin dub.

Taki sounds good, Mitsuha still acceptable, definitely better then our dub here.
>>
>>150155982
>>150156217
oops, should F5 before posting it.
>>
Adelaidebro here
Movie was fantastic
>the meteor impact scene on a huge screen with cinema surround sound.

I already saw the dvdrip months ago but my fucking dick holy shit

I dont actually think ive seen a better impact scene in a movie.

And the cinema collectively lost their shit at the final bodyswap scene when the sister walks in on mitsuha crying.
>>
>>150156217

Yea, the dub was the one I watched for the film yesterday anon.
>>
>>150156716
Thanks, that answered my curiosity.
>>
>No AZ screening
We can get Kizu and Narushit but not this?
>>
Any NZbros going to see this?
>>
File: Remember_11_cover.jpg (16KB, 256x335px) Image search: [Google]
Remember_11_cover.jpg
16KB, 256x335px
>played pic related just a week before I watched this movie.
Kind of feels like the twist is spoiled for me.
>>
>>150158398
Unless Uchikochi also wrote this movie, what reason did you have to believe that they have the same twist?
>>
>>150158493
The body swap is actually 3 years apart twist
>>
>>150158603
did you actually read the post
>>
Is Mitsuha cuter as a teenager or as an adult?
>>
>>150154959
Do you think Taki and Mitsuha would marry?
>>
>>150158958
She's cute as a teen, and straight up beautiful as an adult.
>>
File: 1475520123630.jpg (186KB, 1080x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1475520123630.jpg
186KB, 1080x1440px
>>150158958
Mitsuha (Taki) is the cutest
>>
Man watching Taki molesting Mitsuha body in a packed theater is fucking awkward.

I also want to drink Mitsuha's body fluid.
>>
>>150152779
Never underestimate meme magic.
i really thought it was keit-ai the movie.
>>
>>150151574
The OP and insert songs suck ass.
>>
File: 1479672165420.jpg (228KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1479672165420.jpg
228KB, 1024x1024px
>>150147464
>No screening in germany that i know of
>>
>>150161532
Britain is still a EU state, can't you just hop on a train for a day trip
>>
>>150161821
>7hours from Dortmund to London or 5 hours from Aachen
Please kill me senpai.
>>
>>150155823
>mfw I just realize its a reference to Garden of Words.

Fuck, at least this one has a clearer happier ending.
>>
>>150154959
>The end implying Taki and Mitsuha will sure stay together
i was expecting Shinkai were going to rip them apart in this one like usual.
I cried like a baby while walk out the cinema, turns out most of the audience too were wipping tears on face, bloody hell Shinkai, well done.

>>150162398
just find a way to go watch it mate, make sure you dont need to wait for BD.
>>
File: hang.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
hang.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
>You will never drink your waifu's fermented spit sake.
>>
>>150162986
The animation at that part was glorious as well.

Fuck can't wait for the BD. Pondering whether to rewatch it since it is airing everyday until the 30th.

Based Australia.
>>
Australia got their screenings out yesterday.

Is the ones in Village cinemas subbed or dubbed?
>>
>>150163063
Not exactly answering your but, Hoyts had both.
>>
File: 1473483606686.jpg (23KB, 280x259px) Image search: [Google]
1473483606686.jpg
23KB, 280x259px
Adelaidefag here:
Should I see it?

I aint doing anything tomorrow.
My concerns would be the quality of the dub, and the kind of scum one expects to encounter visiting anything anime-related.
>>
>>150163586
>Quality of the dub
Dub is fine, get a subbed showing ticket if it matters that much

>scum
You'll be fine, it's not like you're in Sydney a truly godforsaken hive
>>
>>150163695
>Sydney a truly godforsaken hive
i only stay there for 4 months while traveling as backpacker, is that city really that bad? you aussies makes me feel you want to nuke the place.

>>150163586
i think the key point is can you wait for other option shows up or not, like BD, if you cant just go watch it.
>>
Anyone know of a good screening in West Coast burgerland? More specifically not LA. I can't really find any non-dub ones.
>>
File: Capture2.jpg (15KB, 424x110px) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.jpg
15KB, 424x110px
>>150163695
>>150163825
>subbed showing
Is that a thing?
I can't really tell from the cinema website.

Well if the dub isn't totally horrendous I should be fine. Again, I aint doin shit so I may as well take my first ever opportunity to see anime in a theater.

Thanks.
>>
So did anyone else not expect there to be an after-credits scene?
>>
>>150163586
i saw the hoyts tea tree plaza one.
there were surprisingly few neckbeards and overtly weebish plebs around, everyone stayed quite throughout the movie (except the comedy parts, which even i admittedly had a good chuckle at)

this really is a movie you want to see in the cinemas, even for the end scene alone, not to mention its the nicest looking movie ive ever seen, anime or not.
>>
File: 2556878316.jpg (112KB, 422x600px) Image search: [Google]
2556878316.jpg
112KB, 422x600px
>tfw I watched the keit-ai airing at anormie expo several months ago and can't shitpost with /a/ friends
>>
>>150165009
There was an after-credits scene? Don't fuck with me anon.
>>
13 hours later and I still have them feels. The ending was happy but could have been happier. What are the chances of a longer anime adaptation? Wouldn't be the first time.
>>
>>150165747
Pretty sure there wasn't.
>>
>>150165754
It's as happy as it gets for Shinkai and a lot of Japanese stuff in general. They like their relatively open endings.

Whereas we prefer absolute resolution here, or more concrete resolution and catharsis.
>>
>>150163586
I said this last night. Anime on the big screen is a rarity outside of Japan, you should watch it for that reason alone.
>>
I am an Ausfag and I just saw it a little while ago. I really liked the soundtrack, that stood out. The story was a bit meh at times, especially everything after the "twist" but overall a worthwhile experience. Glad I went to see it in theatres, dbh.
>>
I just realized, I've been through almost the exact same thing.

Some time when I was perhaps 5 to 8 years younger, for a period of about three years at least, I had an inexplicable tune going through my head. For those years I had no idea where the tune came from. I didn't even realize it came from anybody but myself.
All I knew is that it was important. I didn't want to forget it.

And, every now and again, I'd be humming it over in my head.

I can't remember why, but one day, I decided to revisit my past somewhat.
There were trials, familiar memories along the way. I'd been there before, so I mostly knew it. However, I wasn't sure I ever made it right to the end. I really didn't remember the end, so I might as well get there.

That one thing I was really, really scared of in the past, I could finally beat it.

And so, eventually, I reached the end of the road.
I thought I hadn't ever been there before. Even as I heard the sounds and saw, it took a moment for me to catch on.

All I recognized was that tune. Everything else was so unfamiliar. I went past that point, and I struggled more to comprehend if I've seen it all before.

Finally, it all clicked. I didn't need to hum that tune anymore, I didn't need to search. I knew, and to this day I haven't forgotten, and I don't hum that tune. It's silly, anyway. The important thing is I remembered, and despite how I belittled my past self they truly did get that far, yet somehow I forgot, and somehow I only remebered one tune.
>>
>>150166222
haha okay man
>>
>>150166222
I believe, that like me, since the ending, the two of them will remember, even if it's not the whole thing clear as day. It's not like you'll remember the past perfectly, but they'll remember the important things if they relive any of it.

>>150166234
B-but I was really happy when I found the thing.
>>
>>150166222
I've had something like that, but it's more like dejá vu than anything else.

And if it was dreams about people I didn't know. I've had hyper realistic dreams about people I've never met, but got along with like a house on fire. When it came to finding out details, I'd usually wake up. But that's probably because that's too much process for my brain while sleeping and after waking up, it's obvious that they were made up anyway. One of the coolest things is when you have a dream sequel of sorts. Few and far between, but cool when it happens. Not a lucid dreamer.

It's probably more to do with ou taking in something subconsciously at some point and that how it manifested. Unfortunately the real world isn't that super natural. Nothing to do with destiny either.
>>
>>150166207
I have booked Sunday session, too busy during the week but good job Madman, still mad you didnt bring Kizu over here.
>>
>>150153149
>>150152533
Watched it in Nottingham yesterday too! A lot more Chinese than I expected. I got annoyed by that one guy laughing obnoxiously loud though.
>>
>>150166351
That's probably more towards the dreaming.

The thing I experienced was more along the lines of the meeting 3 years ago, I suppose, and the braided band, or the part where it takes five more years for Taki to meet her properly.
>>
>Dub
Thanks for saving my 16 ausbuck, /a/.
>>
It's airing in Australia too, but none of my friends would want to watch something like this, so I won't be able to watch it in cinemas because of the no singles policy.

When will good quality versions be available online?
>>
>>150166542
I got a subbed viewing.
Dubbed isn't even released yet
>>
>>150166618
>so I won't be able to watch it in cinemas because of the no singles policy.
What kind of fuckwad city do you live in?
>>
>>150164144
The cast listed on the website are the Japanese VA.
Haven't watch it myself but I reckon it's subbed. I'm going to watch it tomorrow alone to confirm it.
>>
>>150166542
Hoyts has it stated as sub.
>>
>>150166618
if you're in sydney I'll go with you
>>
>>150166656
Ye I just saw the cast list.
>>
File: Picture 9-1.jpg (805KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 9-1.jpg
805KB, 1920x1080px
Saw it subbed in Belfast. I liked it, probably better than Garden of Words. I was expecting the ending to be a gut punch like 5cm, kinda glad it wasn't.
>>
>>150166618
Where the fuck do you live?

Going to watch on Sunday, Melbourne-Highpoint
>>
>>150166618
>He lives in a shithole.

Well its not like anywhere outside Melbourne is worth living in.
>>
I had this sense of regret and despair after watching it. Fuck this feeling.
>>
>>150167106
I still haven't came down yet
>>
>>150166618
>no singles policy.
Isn't that a meme that just refers to a policy where you cannot book a seat such that it leaves only a single seat empty between you and another seat that has been booked?
>>
>>150166475
That was my first time going to the showcase, and I gotta say, those seats were way comfier than I'd expected. The last place I'd gone to was the broadway, and it wasn't half as comfy there.
>>
File: Union Jack.png (24KB, 440x280px) Image search: [Google]
Union Jack.png
24KB, 440x280px
>now my fellow /a/nons have watched the movie and I can finally talk about it here

I've been waiting this moment for 3 months damn it

BTW how do you think Your Name would be like had it taken place in the UK, something between London and a small town in, say, Wales?
>>
>>150167756
A village/hamlet would make more sense than a town since towns here get pretty fucking big, populous and dense. When you go to those backwater towns in Japan, they're a bit more sparse.
>>
>>150167756
>switch body with a welsh boy and shag a sheep
>Switch body with a girl from London and visit the mosque
What a shitty movie.
>>
Just watched it at Hoyts Melbourne Central. Pretty good, I think I'll like it a lot more upon second viewing.
>>
File: ka ren.png (681KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ka ren.png
681KB, 1280x720px
>>150167970
>not swapping with Karen Kujo
>>
>>150167756
>it takes place before and after the Brexit
>>
>>150168018
>You try to find the girl but instead of being smashed by a meteor she had go back to poland
Not really exciting.
>>
>>150168018
>qt muslim girl gets killed by a racist and drunk chav on the day of the results while he screamed at her to leave his country
>the guy has to somehow find a way to convince London to unanimously vote Remain on election day to swing a million and a half votes
>instead he just has her jihadi older brother bomb a few voting centers in conservative areas to suppress turnout
>>
>>150166618
>no singles policy
Fuck that, im single as well, but i still went to the cinema for it.
just think as you are smoking weed, it makes you feel great but after it worn off you head back in again for it.

wish i still in Australia now so i can go watch movie with you guys who are single and too desperate to watch the show along.

>>150167106
>>150167127
I met a sweet adelaide girl at some radom anime festival
But i have to leave you awesome people casue my VISA end month ago
I know this showe will only make that feel worse but i still went for it
i watch it along, and its nearly end of the screening here so no one else in the cinema
It just me and the staff, no one else
Every day i just want to hang my self, i know i couldnt meet her again perhaps
Or even i DO really get a chance to meet her again, i doubt that she ...hm...
I dont know what to do anon.
>>
>>150168052
You could make a meteor hit Scotland.

The only real problem is that people here don't hold on to ancient tradition so much here, so a lot of the myth/fantasy aspect really doesn't work.

>>150168084
>that twist
Fucking kek
>>
>>150167756
if Serious BBC Dramas Highlighting Important Issues Of Our Ailing Society are anything to go by, there'd be drugs, whoring, bullying and raping
>>
>>150168093
DUDEWEEDLMAO
>>
>>150168007
i saw a spiting image of karen in newcastle last year, complete with union jack hoodie. except she was ginger and accompanied by (presumably) her strongfat geordie mom and obnoxious little brother
>>
>>150167756
>It's another "brits try to derail the thread with blogging about their own country in terms of real life" episode again
>>
File: For Sale.jpg (967KB, 1350x1920px) Image search: [Google]
For Sale.jpg
967KB, 1350x1920px
The real question is; would you drink THAT?
>>
File: 0004.gif (61KB, 300x351px) Image search: [Google]
0004.gif
61KB, 300x351px
>>150168170
>I saw Karen that looked nothing like Karen
>>
>>150166758

6.25? I paid 10 quid for an adult ticket. Fuck.
>>
>>150168193
To save her? yes.
Otherwise? No, I hate sake.
>>
>>150168107
I want to say I'm sure theres places up in caithness that'd work, but when I went there it was just grim and miserable and the closest thing to spooky tradition was a pile of stones.
>>
>>150168193
I like sake and I'd have no problem drinking cute girl saliva sake.
>>
>>150168107
>people here don't hold on to ancient tradition so much here
They do in Ireland
>>
>>150155911
Arrietty had both a uk and us dub
>>
>>150168368
To be fair with Arriety, it is based on a British novel and period pieces like that don't sound right with American voices. Steampunk style, like you had with things like Laputa and whatever, you can get away with. But there's a mental disconnect when you see something like a Victorian house accompanied by an American accent. Even if English and American accents were probably more similar back then than they are now.
>>
Any GCfags around watching tomorrow?
>>
>>150147464
My thought is that the original owner of Serial No: YN-009 should get arrested, get fired, pay damages, go bankrupt and kill himself ASAP.
>>
I keep thinking about the film, this never happens to me. Maybe it was because its the first time I've ever seen a subbed film in cinema, and anything anime that wasn't Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh,so it left an impression on me. the surround sound and seeing the comet scene on a big screen, wow.
>>
>>150168448
That'll be a part of it. If you're more interested in anime as a general media format, you'll be more vested in this than other films and it's not like opportunities like this come around very often.

It's a nice story in its own right, though.
>>
I just read the description, is this movie Keit-Ai?
>>
>>150168610
Yes
>>
>>150168107
>tfw no fae gf

Mahotsukai Yome lied to me.
>>
Have you fags never watch Interstellar?

It had that silence -> loud bang, but reversed. It's also as aesthetically pleasing too.
>>
>>150168610
>still forcing this meme

No and fuck off
>>
File: bristix.jpg (29KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
bristix.jpg
29KB, 320x240px
Just watched in Ausfailia. Cinema was totally packed. Was actually a pretty good experience, given I was expecting children and weebs.

Movie hit me right in the kokoro when the "I love you" was revealed.

Though I thought the ending was a bit drawn out, I would have been content with them just passing each other on the bridge, stopping then credits.
>>
Tfw listening to ED on train after watching and feel tears welling up

Its either the chemicals in the water or im just a bitch

10/10 movie
>>
>>150169329
>I would have been content with them just passing each other on the bridge, stopping then credits.
Fuck you, I'd have thrown my phone at the screen if it was another 5cm/s
>>
>>150169334
>Its either the chemicals in the water or im just a bitch
Bit of both desu. I well up at the slightest hint of nostalgia these days. Even when I'm overwhelmed with emotion, I start to tear up.

;_;
>>
Great film cant recommend enough. Everyone in our screening started clapping at the end though which was p lame
>>
File: Crossing.jpg (878KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Crossing.jpg
878KB, 1920x1080px
>>150169329
>>150169354
>just passing each other on the bridge, stopping then credits.

Funny this is what I thought in my first watch and have heard a lot of people confessing the same thing

I really wonder why, huh
>>
>>150169629
Because Shinkai has the same type of shit in all of his movies.
>>
if shinkai had rehashed 5 cm/s ending i would have travelled to japan to personally murder him
i'd been utterly destroyed for about a month after first seeing 5cm/s
>>
>>150169723
This.

The only person that'd be higher on the 'kill a nigga for giving me a slight' list would be Anno if he kills Rei, proper, in 4.0
>>
>when the whole theatre laughed over the watashi/watakushi/boku/ore gag

didnt know there were so many weebs in my area
>>
>>150169329

wtf dude in marion?

i was just there lol
>>
>>150169723
>>150169354
This. I am really glad to see the ending. Them looking like they gonna pass each other at the steps had me on the edge of my seat.

I won't mind if the manga/LN had some sort of happy epilogue. IIRC 5cm/s and Garden of Words's have additional story too.
>>
>>150169329
>>150169905

wait never mind apparently we were in different cinemas. what a coincidence
>>
>>150169819
>implying it was even that funny

>>150169906
Voices of a Distant Star did too. The anime had the MC drifting in space alone at the end from what I can remember and in the manga, they basically lay out groundwork for her to get rescued.
>>
>>150169819

How did the dub do that?
>>
>>150167666
Yeah, awesome seats, leg room was amazing too. Not sure if they have those in all the screens though.
>>
>>150169996
Read the thread.

It was just him speaking with a softer tone of voice and also general confusion about Taki's life and saying "yeah a boy like me" or something to that effect. They didn't bother trying to play the pronoun game because that wouldn't work in English, which was a smart choice.
>>
It was good but it wasn't that great. The characters, setting, and art were incredibly well done, with some of the most natural dialogue I've seen. If Shinkai stuck to that and decided to explore the characters more deeply that would have been great. It's too bad they decided to switch the focus halfway to a plot that honestly wasn't all that great. The magic body-swapping premise was okay but going to the shrine-thing and all that really felt like they were abusing it to manufacture emotional moments (like that scene where they were running around the edge of the crater). That and they for some reason decided to cut out Mitsuha persuading her father, probably the hardest part of the plot to pull and something that could have developed her father as a character far more. I guess my problem in the end was that was a lot of fluff and didn't really have any solid theme or anything to focus on (some people say it's "looking for a purpose", in which case they answered that pretty weakly). It was worth watching, but it isn't the masterpiece people make it out to be.

7.5/10, 5cm/s was better.
>>
>>150170082
>It was good but it wasn't that great. The characters, setting, and art were incredibly well done, with some of the most natural dialogue I've seen.
>It was worth watching, but it isn't the masterpiece people make it out to be.
This. I still enjoyed it enough to warrant wanting a second viewing at least
>>
>>150169970
Tokyo resident here and Nips laughed over that scene so I guess it sounds funny to native speakers
>>
>>150170186
Still didn't tickle my sensibilities. But you know, that's me.
>>
>>150170217
I didn't laugh either. It just indicates that Nips are indeed sensitive about first-person subject

What baffles me is how on earth this /a/non >>150169819 heard the laughter in Bongland
>>
>>150170298
Lots of laughs over here especially at the male/female stuff in my showing
>>
>>150170298
Weebs tend to laugh at the most insignificant things. I heard some fuckwit in my screening screaming boss when a can of Suntory Coffee dropped at the "café" in the town/village.

Literally who gives a shit. I got a bit nostalgic over things like seeing the Chuo-Sobu line trains I used to get when I lived in Kinshicho, but that's about it.
>>
>>150170298
I didn't really laugh at it but it got a bit of a snirk out of me, because I was waiting for some of the typical bodyswap light-drama comedy to happen. There wasn't a lot of it, but I don't blame them for focusing more on the story than dicking about with how the two people get confused in each other's bodies.
And while I don't really actively learn Japanese, I've picked up enough of the language that I can get a general tone, feel of how formal somebody's being, etc.
Honestly the biggest hit there was
>watakushi

I wish they'd make some sort of extras thing with the light comedy of the bodyswap dilemmas.
>>
>>150170082
I agree with what your post in general, but I'm still willing to give it an 8/10 and put it above 5cm/s. Maybe its because I found the characters far more endearing, or perhaps I have a really bad soft spot for this type of romance. I don't know.

I'm still trying to put my finger on exactly why I like this movie even though its technical flaws are clear to me.

>>150170298
That happened here too. I could understand a few quiet giggles during the boob grabbing jokes but niggas wouldn't stop laughing out loud every time a remotely "humorous" scene happened.
>>
>mfw I learned how girls tie their hair into ponytail.

It was educational at least. Short hair Mitsuba a shit.
>>
>>150170418
I was silently laughing my ass off at one part but I already forget which. Wasn't the 5cm PTSD moments or any of the body confusion parts I don't think. I probably won't remember without a re-watch now. It was a really subtle joke that just floored me internally.
>>
>>150170636
Take that back cucklord.
Thread posts: 515
Thread images: 61

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.