[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fruits Basket

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (26KB, 230x330px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 230x330px
So this manga has recently been getting re-released in new omnibus editions, does anyone here remember it?

It used to be the number 1 selling shojo manga in America, how come no one on /a/ barely mentions it?

Also general Fruits Basket thread I guess.
>>
I remember how shitty and nonsensical the reverse trap thing was. I bet the character was originally a man.
>>
File: image.jpg (985KB, 1204x1920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
985KB, 1204x1920px
>>149804183
Fuck you, Akito was best girl!

Don't be talkin shit about my waifu.
>>
>>149804111
I remember this from when I was a teen. Found it very "healing".
Liked a lot the girl MC, very calming and different from other shoujos.
>>
>>149804613
More like a genderswapped husbando.(S)He was flat as a pancake the first time (s)he appeared. No way the character was a woman back then.
>>
It's a nitpick I guess, but I will never get behind how after the villa chapter Yuki and Tooru pratically stop interacting with each other and then at end of the story he comes with that "you were like a mother" bullshit.

Still an excelent manga.
>>
>>149804710
But flat chests are best chests! It lolifies girls, which is always a good thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (21KB, 236x167px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 236x167px
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>149805712
What was even his goal in the first place?
>>
>>149804710
Natsuki Takaya claims that she had the whole story planned out beforehand, the anime just fucked it up, which is the reason why we never saw a second season.
>>
>>149805881
To be a complete dick to everyone cause he could.

Seriously fuck manga Shigure, the anime was so much better.
>>
>>149804183
Remember when the fujoshits exploded when she was revealed to be a man? Good times
>>
>>149804111
I read the magna after watching the anime and I was really confused. People were acualy girls and were having sex everywhere and with each others mothers and then everyone was old. I wish I hadn't read it
>>
What a blast from the past.
>>
>>149807094
But for what reason did he want to be a dick to everyone?
>>
>>149804111
It was an excellent manga until all of that bullshit drama destroyed it for me.

>>149804710
This. But seriously, that was a small problem compared to the shitshow that was the Akito/Shigure romance. We are supposed to buy the bullshit that it's all small misunderstandings and they can live happily ever after.

But I do believe that she did changed Akito's gender after the fujoshit flipout she reportedly had. There is a reason why such a super popular series had very few fanart at the time.

>>149804808
That was probably the most shittiest way to end a love triangle. It ruined any joy I would have had for being a Kyoufag and him winning.
>>
>>149804111
I own all of them. Getting the Blu-ray box that comes out in a little over a week. Super excited.
>>149804710
>(s)he
Explicitly and exclusively female.
>>
>>149806950
>the anime just fucked it up
The changes were made to intentionally take out foreshadowing because a second season wouldn't have happened, anyway. The show would have been worse if it had random moments of nothing that amounted to nothing.
>>149807094
>>149809266
His reason was to get Akito. He's manipulative and selfish, but his main goal was to get her to pay attention to him and break the curse.
>>
>>149809773
>love triangle
>implying
>>
Who is best boy and why is it snake?
>>
>>149809773
>>149809924
Oh yeah, Shigure did end up with the reverse trap in the end didn't he? Was it ever explained exactly WHY he wanted her? More than even her gender reveal I felt that couple just came completely out of nowhere.
>>
Art was really shit later on. DRAMA was also unbearable.
Couldn't even be happy about best boy winning because of that.
>>
>>149810181
>just came completely out of nowhere
Their relationship was a major focus of Akito's character, though. They both "cheated" on each other to make the other jealous.
But he was always in love with her; whether it's just unhealthy attachment or something from genuine love from long before all the problems came up, they don't delve into what he specifically likes about her.
>>
>>149804710
Do you people even pay attention?
-For one thing in the Japanese manga Akito was never referred as a "he", she was called as "that person" or something gender neutral. Only Akito referred to herself as a he.
-Akito stopped growing, Yuki and Kyou were about the same height as her at the beginning but quickly outgrew her.
-The plot wouldn't have worked, the main reason Ren acted like a cunt and abused Akito was because Akito was a girl and Ren was jealous that Akira would love another girl. Which all of this led to Akito acting like a cunt herself and singling out women.
-the mangaka is het pairing only, there was a lot of sexual tension between Akito and Shigure way before "the reveal", she made it clear that Shigure craved something relating to Akito (and it turns out it was Akito herself) and wanted to use people to get to her.
-there were jokes about how Akito and Yuki look very similar and Shigure claiming that Yuki was in fact a woman just to fuck with people.

I think there are other clues but it has been a long time.
>>
>>149810310
>He was always in love with her, they don't dive into what he genuinely likes about her.

And that's what makes it such a shit couple and why I precisely state that it came out of nowhere. We're never shown WHY or WHAT made him fall for her, we're just TOLD he is just like it's another fact and we as the audience are expected to just go along with it, it's lazy writing which is especially embarrassing considering all the other couples in the manga *did* have development and build-up so the mangaka obviously knew how to write relationships, she just got lazy with this particular one yet still expected us to buy it!

I'm sorry but this is some Sailor Moon Crystal "mirakuru romansu"-tier bullshit!
>>
>>149810726
The relationship gets developed fine enough. It's not written as "romance", it's written as a relationship that happens to be romantic. It wasn't meant to have the same tension as the main romance.
>>
>>149810726
If I remember correctly, the first kids that were born in that generation of the curse had a dream about the arrival of their god, and Shigure got obsessed with it. His obsession grew stronger because Akito was always treated in a very special manner while being abused by her mom. He always loved her but it grew stronger and not healthy considering both of them were fucked up. Shigure himself was a manchild who was always having the worst methods. Akito loved him the most because when they were kids he treated her differently.

I do agree that everything they went through their relationship issues were solved very quickly.
>>
File: IMG_2336.jpg (30KB, 236x514px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2336.jpg
30KB, 236x514px
>>149810726
It was explained you probably forgot or didn't pay attention. I don't remember exactly what chapter it was but he was explaining himself to Hatori. Basically Shigure doesn't really feel much, he is mainly just bored with life. Because he was cursed his parents pretty much provided him with everything and he never really care about anything and never really struggled with life. In other words he never really felt alive or really wanted anything. But then his God was born. And her birth gave him a happy fuzzy warm feeling inside that made him feel alive and he can only feel it with Akito. So it initially was something like "I want to protect Akito and make her happy" when she was a loli. Then it became "I want to fuck her and destroy her bonds with everyone else because why do I have to share?"
>>
>>149811009
>>149811064
>Had a dream
>It gave him a warm, fuzzy feeling then BOOM: He's in love!

That's a shit explanation then. I still stand by my statement, this couple is Sailor Moon Crystal "miracle romance" tiers of bullshit! Seriously, how is this any different from the Senshi/four generals shit they tried pulling in Crystal in episode 10 when the girls are just get a single pan-gaze on their respective guy looking at him all dreamy and shit and then Venus says they're all in love and WHAM! One girl for every guy.

This is literally no different, we barely get to see how their relationship developed as kids or anything we're just told Shigure loves her cause of a "dream and warm fuzzy feeling she gives him." In other words: she's a girl, he's a guy, everyone else is coupled up all nicely, time to pair the spares in the most lazy way possible!

Fuck this ship!
>>
>>149811226
I don't think it's pairing the spares because the first hints was around book 5, I believe it's the chapter they travel with Ayame or something similar. The Sohma beach trip also give strong hints.

I have this 10 year old collection in my closet, that's probably why I remember these details. Too many rereads.
>>
>>149811358
It doesn't matter how early it was mentioned, the mere explanation for his "love" alone is still a prime example of the "pair the spares trope."

If they actually showed more flashbacks of them as children getting to know each other and interacting and Shigure having that revelation of love THEN it would be a legit pairing but the whole thing is basically reduced to a "love at first sight/tell don't show" thing and that's lazy, bad writing.
>>
>>149811358
>>149811358
In all honestly, the early Shigure/Akito interaction weren't really romantic in nature. At the time, you know that Shigure had a plan to deal with Akito in order to break the curse and stop Akito's abuse, but that was pretty much it. IIRC, there wasn't really any romantic bent to it until Akito was revealed to be a girl.
>>
>>149811226
>We barely get to see their relationship...

ShigurexAkito is probably the second most well developed relationship in a manga that's supposed to be focused on Tohru and this is coming from a person that wishes Akito would leave Shigure and find herself someone else or stays forever alone.
There is literally a chapter where Shigure tells Akito that he loves her when she was a loli and there are flashbacks from Yuki showing that Shigure would comfort Akito when she was a child.
It's easy to put 2 and 2 together. In the most simplified version I could come up with: Shigure acted like a protector and a father towards Akito when she was a loli, he indulge her and he was fatherly and kind.
Except when he realized that he wants to eventually fuck her he distances himself from the fatherly role because that would be counterproductive to his plans. Akito gets upset because she feels he doesn't love her anymore and Sometime during that period Kureno's curse breaks. In a desperate attempt to keep Kureno she sleeps with him to form some sort of fake bond that would replace the missing one. Shigure finds out. Shit happens. Shigure gets kicked out. Tohru appears.

This is taken from various hints and discussions spread out in the manga because after all their relationship is suppose to be a secret is not suppose to be lay out in the open for the reader to find out. This is not like your typical relationship that would have an entire chapter devoted to it because the reader is suppose to put 2 and 2 together.
>>
>>149804111
I still love Fruits basket. I reread it earlier this year.
>>
>>149811586
It wasn't romantic but showed the obsession both had with each other, the romance thing only showed up about 5 books before the end.
>>
File: IMG_2337.jpg (254KB, 690x1100px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2337.jpg
254KB, 690x1100px
>>149811586
I think is kind of sexual. She is literally about to get on top of his lap.
>>
File: IMG_2338.jpg (86KB, 460x733px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2338.jpg
86KB, 460x733px
>>149811796
It is also obsessive, just look at the expression on Shigure's face when he is watching Akito (who probably is not even aware) sleep. Who the heck watches someone sleep?
>>
File: IMG_2339.jpg (112KB, 460x733px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2339.jpg
112KB, 460x733px
>>149812016
I think there are three times where Shigure is watching her sleep.
>>
>>149804111
>General

It's baby first shoujo, the characters were very likeable expect that one bitch. You know the one.
>>
>>149811697
>>149811887
>>149812032
>When she was a loli
>Acted fatherly towards her then wants to fuck her
>Constantly watches her when she sleeps

Wait a minute... Just how much older than Akito *is* Shigure, is this relationship even legal? Is Shigure a bonafide pedo creeper?

Also he seriously watches underage girls like that when they sleep? Did he do it when she was a loli too? Holy shit this guy is literally the template for "How to catch a Predator!"
>>
>>149812232
He's around 8 years older, and Akito was close to 20 when the series ended.

>*is*
Are you new or from tumblr?
>>
>>149812299
>8 years older

So how old was she when he began sleeping with her?
>>
>>149812360
I don't know if they ever slept together before near the end of the series, considering how the mangaka is very direct about it I doubt they did it. Most of the time Akito was complaining he never gave her attention, if anything.
>>
>>149812232
Shigure would do romantic cute little things towards Akito that would make her heart doki (I think it was hinted that Shigure used to do a bunch of arts and craft paper thingies and give them to Akito when she was a child), but I doubt he is stupid enought to try anything sexual with her because it would have risk destroying his relationship with her if she ends up fearing him instead and if anybody found out he would most likely never be allowed to be anywhere near her.
>>
>>149812417
Because grooming is so much better right! /s
>>
>>149812452
He just gave her little flowers, Akito can roll around in money if she wanted to. But yes you could say he was starting to make a move on her. However, he might have not even know whether his love for her was romantic or platonic and when he tells her that he loves her it doesn't seem malicious but sincere. It's still kind of creepy but then again their whole relationship is messed up.
>>
>>149812654
And yet they became canon in the end... Further proof that Japan is nothing but a country full of lolicon degenerates
>>
>>149812691
Pretty sure being around 20 doesn't count as pedo anymore
>>
>>149812737
That still doesn't change the fact that he was courting her back when she was a loli.
>>
>>149804111
The ending was shit. That cunt tried to kill Horse-chan at least twice. You don't get a smug boyfriend for that, you go to a fucking jail.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.