[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you prefer to enjoy your anime? Do you watch it all at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

File: keion5.jpg (23KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
keion5.jpg
23KB, 1024x600px
How do you prefer to enjoy your anime? Do you watch it all at once with no breaks, or span it out over a long period of time? In my experience series don't hit me as hard when they finish if it is a 1-2 day period I watch it through. What is the best way to enjoy anime?

Pic Related, this shit hit me hard, and I spaced it out over ~1 month
>>
File: 1510.jpg (66KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1510.jpg
66KB, 1280x720px
I watch it soon as its subbed or if we're talking back logging I do it an episode once a day or week.

I hate marathoning shit.
>>
>>149316390
Get some beers or liquor, turn on a line up of shows. Power through them while relaxing and drinking a bit. Generally save most of my shows to watch on a friday or satruday after the work week is done.
>>
File: isla.png (614KB, 5326x2990px) Image search: [Google]
isla.png
614KB, 5326x2990px
Some friends told me I missed out by watching Plastic Memories in one sitting. They all watched it when it aired and went nuts over the ending, but it didn't have that much of an effect on me.
>>
>>149316503
That's because it was shit and your friends have poor taste
>>
I watch it with while making a break to post on 4chan every 3 minutes
>>
>>149316503
If you watched the first episode you shouldn't have had the ending effect you. It was so fucking predictable that you didn't need to sit through any of it.

The "feels" people had were just people trying to justify sitting through 12 weeks of that crap
>>
>>149316546
Same here. But usually I manage to stay ahead of things well enough that I finish most shows I start.
It's only when real life hits me really hard that I need to take active steps to avoid 4chan for a while.
>>
>>149316534
I disagree, I thought it was good, I just wasn't attached enough because I marathoned it.
>>
>>149316577
It being predictable was the point though. Doesn't make it any worse of an ending.
>>
>>149316390
I don't generally watch shows as they're airing especially if it's a 20-something minute episode unless it's an adaptation and I already know the story. Waiting a week between episodes just dilutes it for me, so I generally wait until a complete season is out. I don't quite marathon either, it's something like 1-4 episodes a day, depending on how much I'm enjoying it.
>>
I started watching 5 backlogged shows at once, rotating through them. It makes boring but not boring enough to drop a pain, but it prevents me from being burned out from some long running episodic shows, like Gatchaman.
>>
I watched all of K-On! in about a week, but as for your question OP it depends on the show.
>>
>>149316390
Two or three episodes at a time, then I rest my ears from my headphones for about 20-30 minutes.
>>
>>149316577
>It was so fucking predictable
There is nothing wrong with predictability.
>>
>>149316595
I watched while it was airing, it was so painfully obvious I couldn't bring myself to care enough by the time it ended.
>>
>>149316624
Any attachment to the character was basically ruined for he when I knew isla was going to lose her memories and it was pretty damn obvious from the start it was going to happen. The MC being completely oblivious to this while everyone, including the viewer, saw coming is what made me not care.

If anything Amagi did it better in terms of that and had a more solid ending.
>>
File: thesoundofhisheartbreaking.jpg (143KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
thesoundofhisheartbreaking.jpg
143KB, 1280x720px
>>149316666
I've had Tenshi ni Fureta Yo stuck in my head since I finished it.

also checkd
>>
>>149316698
There is when you give it away too soon without having the viewer attached to any of the characters yet. The only people who cared where the people who seasonally waifu'd her.
>>
>>149316390
rinsed k-on in a few days and it was precisely that experience that taught me it is far more enjoyable for me to eke out shows that i really like. maybe 1or2 episodes a day but usually watch 3 or 4 shows at once.
>>
>>149316749
I tear up when I hear those drumsticks.
>>
>>149316762
>choosing a character with less personality than a brick as a waifu

what is wrong with people
>>
>>149316762
Wrong.
The idea that you need to be kept in the dark in order to enjoy a story simply doesn't hold up.
I think there was a study that said that spoilers actually increase enjoyment.
The original drama pieces had obvious outcome from the beginning. People walked in expecting the protagonist to have a bad end.
>>
>>149316390
I watch it at 2x speed while posting on /a/ and listening music.
>>
>>149316810
It didn't help that the last ED was No Thank You.
>>
File: ren-chonbodyslam.webm (881KB, 711x400px) Image search: [Google]
ren-chonbodyslam.webm
881KB, 711x400px
I went through Non Non Biyori too fast and now there is a hole in me that will never be filled.
>>
File: 1477421529228.png (509KB, 970x720px) Image search: [Google]
1477421529228.png
509KB, 970x720px
>>149316861
I didn't say that the idea needed to be kept in the dark, however it being given away in the first 90 seconds of a show, while the MC remains clueless to every read flag is. The execution was flawed because there was no reason for the MC to care, or the viewer to care about anyone after that point. A better time would have been to redo the first episode in a way that didn't blatantly give away the ending making everything leading up to it feel boring. Waiting 3 or 4 episodes in to reveal the twist to the viewer and MC would have been significantly better. There would have been far more attachment and investment into the dramatic ending.

>I think there was a study that said that spoilers actually increase enjoyment.

This is the dumbest shit I have ever read on /a/, good job.
>>
>>149317070
>it being given away in the first 90 seconds of a show, [] is.
Why?
>no reason to care about anyone after that point
There is no reason to care about characters who will disappear at the end of the story?
Why do you watch anime at all? They all come to an end at the end.

>This is the dumbest shit I have ever read on /a/, good job.
http://psy2.ucsd.edu/~nchristenfeld/Publications_files/Fluency%20of%20Spoilers.pdf
>>
>>149316390
I avoid marathoning shows because I get kinda burnt out after watching several episodes in a row. If it's an actually good show, I don't have the self-control to stop which can get really exhausting and diminishes the experience.
>>
>>149317229
I ruined NHK because I got so into it that I watched it all in one sitting. The ending was really underwhelming because I had already seen so much.
>>
>>149317221
>Why?
I explained, there is no emotional attachment, investment in the characters relationship, and much of any reason for the viewer to stay invested.

>There is no reason to care about characters who will disappear at the end of the story?
Not much with the way the show handled everything after that. The MC couldn't spot a red flag if someone handed him the script. Early on foreshadowing can be done right in the first few episodes if they leave the viewer and MC in sync with what is developing around them.
>Why do you watch anime at all? They all come to an end at the end.
Not all of them do, some have very good endings, I am not sure what you are getting at unless you watch many generic romcoms that always in end people not getting together because of *loud noise*.

>1 study
Okay I'll be reminded of that when people were surrounding the latest starwars. Not to mention
"As with any study, we cannot be certain that these findings will generalize
across all subjects and materials"

Not to mention the spoilers were conducted on short stories.
>>
>>149316390
I prefer to binge-watch shows in one go, unless it's the type of show that offers enough mystery and twists to discuss it after every episode.
>>
>>149317221
Only expirement that "proved" this was Expirement 3 which broke down to this

> Changes that were made to spoilers included simplifying sentence structure, eliminating
unnecessary details, and shortening texts by reformulate statements about character’s
perspectives into more straightforward statements about the facts of the
story. (See Appendix 1 for an example.) Compared with spoilers in Experiment2,
spoilers in Experiment 3 averaged 33% fewer words (reduced from 98 to 65),
32% shorter sentences, and 16% fewer words describing cognitive processes
(Pennebaker, Booth, & Francis, 2007)

No shit, 235 college students reading something much shorter and less complex would be more perferred.
>>
File: 1462429977551.png (47KB, 1191x837px) Image search: [Google]
1462429977551.png
47KB, 1191x837px
>>149317529
>there is no emotional attachment
For you. I'm not sure what is wrong with you, but most people can attach themselves even to things and persons doomed to die.

>some have very good endings,
But they end anyway, and you won't see the characters again. So why attach to them if it means that you must say goodbye at the end?

>"As with any study, we cannot be certain that these findings will generalize across all subjects and materials"
It's general attitude to dramas. Tragedies all end badly, and for example Greeks knew from the beginning that they would see the main character fall.
People intentionally choose to experience bad ends - and the story that comes before that bad end.
>>
>>149317733
http://pages.ucsd.edu/~nchristenfeld/Publications_files/Spoilers.pdf
>>
I have around a hundred series in progress at any one time. I choose the genre to fit my mood at the moment when I feel like watching something. This works pretty well except for series with complicated plot or huge cast of characters (not many, like Baccano). Also, watching this way makes recap episodes actually useful.
>>
>>149317791
Yes most people can when the story is worth investing in. By the end of the first episode the first episode there was still no reason to care for anything going on. Yes going into a tragity can be fine when you have knowning a bad ending is coming, but getting there is another thing. Going into something like Romeo and Juliet, you know a "bad end" is coming but you don't know what it is or why, so you get invested into finding out.

>But they end anyway, and you won't see the characters again. So why attach to them if it means that you must say goodbye at the end?

Because you can still enjoy the characters and how they developed on their screentime. Doesn't mean I can enjoy the story and how the characters come together to make something enjoyable. Your statement makes no sense as it could be applied to any anime/story/etc.

>It's general attitude to dramas. Tragedies all end badly, and for example Greeks knew from the beginning that they would see the main character fall.
Yeah but they didn't read in the first act that this is exactly how X will end badly because of Y and it will happen in Z days. There was always some kind of reason to keep invested to find out why. Having every major plot point given out in basically the first episode is really just bad writing. There is no reason to get invested in a story like that if you know exactly what is going to happen. There was no tention in the show, it would go from SoL to even light hearted comedy to "oh remember that bad thing, guess it is still a bad thing that will happen!'
>>
>>149316390
For something slow and character driven like "ef" - get comfy, relax, enjoy the music and marathon the series, rewatch some scenes and be done with it, as there's no room for speculation, or analysys (aside from characters themselfs, but they are usually fully explored by the end) due to the cathartic conclusion witch kind of asks for the show to be marathoned.
>>
>>149318056
>Because you can still enjoy the characters and how they developed on their screentime.
The same thing goes for characters that actually die in the last episode.
You have no argument.

>it could be applied to any anime/story/etc.
That is exactly my point.

>There was always some kind of reason to keep invested to find out why.
No, there isn't. For example, the thing the Greeks were most engrossed with was the Iliad. They knew it by heart. Half the texts written in ancient Greece were meta discussion of the Iliad. They kept going through it. The fact that they knew it didn't stop them from enjoying it.

>There is no reason to get invested in a story like that if you know exactly what is going to happen.
That is simply a baseless assumption.
>>
I don't have the patience for weekly waits anymore, so I only start watching a show after its done.

I also binge (re)watch everything else, even iyashikei like Aria, without any detriment to my enjoyment, contrary to what many people keep saying.
>>
>>149317791
Not the guy you're talking to, but I also find it difficult to get attached to characters which are obviously set up to die in an "emotional" ending early on. It's not as much the fact that they're doomed to die in and of itself, but rather that it's usually played as a plot device for the MC's or a different character's evolution/growth. This makes them feel less like a natural character and more like a means to an end, which is usually the MC moving past some sort of emotional conflict or issue. I don't get attached to a character if it feels like a storytelling tool.

Maybe it's more about how well the show pulls it off.
>>
>>149318220
>The same thing goes for characters that actually die in the last episode.
Okay sequels, fan content, etc can go on after a story ends. If the characters are dead it really can't continue.

>it could be applied to any anime/story/etc.
Which makes your statements useless

>No, there isn't. For example, the thing the Greeks were most engrossed with was the Iliad. They knew it by heart. Half the texts written in ancient Greece were meta discussion of the Iliad. They kept going through it. The fact that they knew it didn't stop them from enjoying it

Didn't know the Greeks made objective rules that apply to everyone ever. Please go spoiler some people on breaking bad, Legend of The Galactic heroes, Game of Thrones, or some video games. Pretty sure a good number of people will enjoy them substantually less after it.

>That is simply a baseless assumption.
Not really it is a matter of opinion just like people who enjoy not knowing spoilers over knowing them.
>>
>>149318346
Sure. Any character that screams "I'm the senpai that dies in episode 3" is kind of shallow.
>>
>>149318394
Plastic memories managed to do it in the first 3 minutes
>>
When I was first getting into anime I would binge, now I savor. Sometimes it takes me a year to get through a 2 cour series. That said some things I'll still watch relatively fast. I think I finished Re:Zero in a week or two because of how it was set up to always make you want to watch the next episode right away.
>>
>>149318380
>Okay sequels,
AssClass is getting a movie (a prequel I believe), AnoHana got a movie (a shitty retelling), Death Note is getting shitloads of shit etc.
>fan content,
Never stopped by something minor like character death. In fact I've read anons on /a/ talk about how maybe Islawasn't maybe completely dead after all.

>Which makes your statements useless
Did you forget the origin of the argument? Please go back and reread.

>Pretty sure a good number of people will enjoy them substantually less after it.
Do you have anything to back that up?
You are just repeating your baseless assumption.
>>
>>149318441
What senpai died in episode 3?
>>
>>149316390
Hard for me not to marathon it especially if the show draws me in
>>
I watch it at work so I usually end up watching 3 episodes a day of a single series or so.
Also you reminded me I haven't marathoned a series since I was in high school, fuck. I remember watching FMA in 2 days.
>>
10 episodes a day
>>
>>149318394
I don't necessarily mean they're going to die in episode 3, but rather the opposite as well: when it's obvious by episode 3 that they're going to die in the ending. An emotional ending brought by a character's death is emotional because you're invested in that character, but if there's no investment from the get go then the ending is left ruined and feeling like a forced cliche tearjerker attempt.

I think it's something very hard to pull off well. If the obviously dying character has a strong relationship with MC, it's very hard to portray their death as something other than a plot device meant to affect MC in some way.
>>
>>149318527
>Never stopped by something minor like character death. In fact I've read anons on /a/ talk about how maybe Islawasn't maybe completely dead after all.
>Isla
>minor

Okay anon

>Did you forget the origin of the argument? Please go back and reread.
I'm saying your blanket statement is worthless to argue.

>Pretty sure a good number of people will enjoy them substantually less after it.
The documents you provided even said in the first one that the data collected could not be applied to all mediums or people. So your studies don't really prove anything other than noticing a trend. Not to mention the second "study" lacks a lot of detail and doesn't even balance the gender of their study which could easily skew data collection. Did you not go to work, listen to the radio, or talk with people who got Star Wars spoiled for them where Hans Solo died. People were livid when they heard that, having that know made the scene less enjoyable. Quentin Tarantino's films were almost cancelled sometimes because spoilers were relased. Trying to state that spoilers don't objectively ruin the enjoyment of a series is stupid. Maybe scenes, series, and other things can be made less enjoyable due to knowing the buildup and having key moments become more dull.
>>
>>149318809
>if there's no investment from the get go
Then that's your own fault for not getting invested.

A good character is good even if you know they are going to die. A bad character is bad even if you know they won't.
A plot device character doomed to die (which is what I am talking about) is not the same as a character that is obviously going to die. The difference is in the depth of the character.
>>
>>149318844
>>Isla
>>minor
Do you like quoting out of context or are you retarded?

>your blanket statement is worthless to argue.
My blanket statement crushed your argument, so I guess it did its job.

>People were livid when they heard that,
I bet.

>having that know made the scene less enjoyable.
Does not logically follow. However I'll believe it because cheap scripts live on cheap plot twists. Lots of shitty movies or shows can be enjoyable exactly once and have no rewatching value whatsoever.
I guess that is a general admission that you are partially right. Bad stories shouldn't be spoilered.
>>
Literally yesterday I saw a random post here with Misaki from NHK looking in the peephole, and it looked familiar so I reverse image searched it, and found it and watched it all, and just finished it. Best anime I've EVER watched
>>
>>149318907
>A good character is good even if you know they are going to die.
>The difference is in the depth of the character.

Except Isla isn't either of these because the show never explores it enough. Tragites can be great, not denying that. The way PM did it was just awful, it started out with something. Did little investment into it for anyone to care about her character, and ending without ever getting the audence to see her depth or good side.
>>
>>149319037
>However I'll believe it because cheap scripts live on cheap plot twists.
Now that I think about it, I don't think that really applies to that scene.
It was so predictable. You didn't really need any spoilers to know what was going to happen.
It was shit all around.
>>
>>149319037
>Do you like quoting out of context or are you retarded?
Orignal post context was about plastic memories what you said doesn't apply to that show.

>My blanket statement crushed your argument, so I guess it did its job.

You didn't crush anything, you said such a broad statement that there is no point in arguement.

>Does not logically follow. However I'll believe it because cheap scripts live on cheap plot twists. Lots of shitty movies or shows can be enjoyable exactly once and have no rewatching value whatsoever.
I guess that is a general admission that you are partially right. Bad stories shouldn't be spoilered.

No one said it did for every single spoiler ever, some spoilers are minor while others that directly relate to the plot can be damaging to investment of the story.

Saying something like hey in TTGL There are great space battles is a spoiler, but minor at that. While saying something like Kamina dies, would be a major spoiler that personally I know has put off people to enjoying that moment or character in many ways.
>>
>>149319074
No having that first bit in PM really did a good bit of damage to it. The audience knew it from the start and the MC acting like a clueless moron didn't help. The twist could have easily been pushed back a few episodes without ruining the show but giving a good deal of speculation to if it was actually true or not that Isla was a robot.
>>
>>149318907
But it's hard for a character to be good when the character is set up as a plot device for MC's emotional trauma from the first few episodes, that's my point and that's the problem. A good character appears to evolve by reacting naturally to the events the plot presents, a character that's obviously on-rails for MC's development does not appear natural. Predictability isn't a bad thing and it can lead to very good endings, but like everything else there's a point where too much of it becomes harmful.
>>
>>149319295
>what you said doesn't apply to that show.
>>In fact I've read anons on /a/ talk about how maybe Islawasn't maybe completely dead after all.

>Saying something like hey in TTGL There are great space battles is a spoiler, but minor at that. While saying something like Kamina dies, would be a major spoiler that personally I know has put off people to enjoying that moment or character in many ways.
That is not the admission I made.
TTGL is actually a good show and can be rewatched. That means that spoilering it may irritate people who hate spoilers, but it won't actually reduce enjoyment.
>>
>>149319374
Responding to the wrong post?
The topic is StarWars.
>>
>>149319417
And that is why I agreed initially. I disagreed only when anon said he couldn't get invested into the character just because they knew the character was going to die.
>>
>>149319426
>TGL is actually a good show and can be rewatched.
This is an opinion
>That means that spoilering it may irritate people who hate spoilers, but it won't actually reduce enjoyment.

I know people who learned about characters deaths stopped watching the show all together and just went and read spoilers to see what happened. Then never finished the show.

>>149319457
No, that statement I was talking about had nothing to do with Starwars nor did I imply that. Starwars was an example to your 3rd point.
>>
>>149319545
>I know people who learned about characters deaths stopped watching the show all together
Their own damn fault.
>No, that statement I was talking about had nothing to do with Starwars
But the post you replied to did.
>>
>>149319426
>>149319457
What a coincidence. I was just thinking today how the newest Star Wars movie was a lot like TTGL
Terrible characters, rehashed plot, Mary Sue MC
But I'd be lying if I said there weren't a couple really fuckin cool moments though.
>>
>>149319506
I have no problem getting invested in a character I know will die so long as the rest of the show does a decent job to make me be invested in the character. The original posting about Isla is what I have been talking about this whole time, she was a bad character with little no reason to care for.

My problem is with the fact PM starts off telling you what will happen and all the twists in the first episode while "shit happnes" throughout the series that is suppose to make you care while all the twists and plot points are told in the first episode.

>>149319597
>Their own damn fault
Okay so anything that doesn't agree with you is "their fault?"

>But the post you replied to did. Yes to your Third point, I could have used anything else but that was a recent example that a lot of people were concerned about learning before seeing the movie.
>>
>>149319719
>My problem is with the fact PM starts off telling you what will happen
I don't mean to say PM is a good show or that Isla is a good character. All I am saying is that PM's major problem is not that it tells you it's a tragedy in the first episode.

>Okay so anything that doesn't agree with you is "their fault?"
But the thing is that it neither agrees nor disagrees with me. If anything, it supports my so far unspoken claim that spoilers are more feared than they should be.
They didn't even try to keep watching. They just decided the show was spoiled and therefore no longer enjoyable.

>I could have used anything else but that was a recent example that a lot of people were concerned about learning before seeing the movie.
I didn't retract my admission. I only pointed out that StarWars was so badly written that the spoiler was unnecessary. You knew what was going to happen simply from the build-up.
>>
>>149319871
>I don't mean to say PM is a good show or that Isla is a good character. All I am saying is that PM's major problem is not that it tells you it's a tragedy in the first episode.

It is though due to the fact that no meaningful development is made anywhere in the show. Everything is dumped on you at the begginning of the show, not leaving you with any reason to care about anything until the last episode which was misreable at best.

>They didn't even try to keep watching. They just decided the show was spoiled and therefore no longer enjoyable.

Yes because they had things spoiled and lost investment to it.

>You knew what was going to happen simply from the build-up.
But only if you had seen the build up you would appreciate not only the build up but the action. Other peoples opinions may not say that it was bad, and even said it was great, so spoilers would have been more damaging.
>>
>>149320072
>Everything is dumped on you at the begginning of the show, not leaving you with any reason to care about anything until the last episode which was misreable at best.
I sincerely disagree.

>Yes because they had things spoiled and lost investment to it.
Yes, their own damn fault.

>But only if you had seen the build up you would appreciate not only the build up but the action.
I was not spoiled and I did not appreciate the action. Being able to recognize what is going to happen from the build-up (rather than clever clues) is a really bad thing.
The people who got spoiled lost nothing over the people who recognized it was cliched writing.
>>
>>149316390
>enjoying anime
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.