[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is "otaku pandering"? Why is it bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: 1426606309880.jpg (38KB, 362x346px) Image search: [Google]
1426606309880.jpg
38KB, 362x346px
What is "otaku pandering"?

Why is it bad?
>>
>>148713766
I had to google the word pandering. Lol I thought it had to do with bears.
>>
It's material that is appealing to only the most hardcore fans. It stagnates creativity.
>>
People who watch anime but don't really want to watch anime like to say it a lot
>>
>pandering
>pan·der
>verb
>gerund or present participle: pandering
>gratify or indulge (an immoral or distasteful desire, need, or habit or a person with such a desire, etc.).
>"newspapers are pandering to people's baser instincts"

Do you understand why it is considered to be a negative term yet?
>>
File: fishmouth.jpg (71KB, 586x751px) Image search: [Google]
fishmouth.jpg
71KB, 586x751px
>>148713766

Because appealing to your primary demographic a terrible crime.
>>
Artistic freedom is reduced for high profits. One would reckon it's common sense to shoot for the profit, but "otaku pandering" anime has no value when being watched by other, non-otaku people. And the value otaku do get out of it is not that much, either - you get a tits and ass buffet, and a couple of references to other anime, all for a couple of seconds of "fun". No depth, nothing intellectually deep to make you reconsider your whole goddamn life - it's hedonism and vicarious living in one, in an animated form.
>>
>>148714069
And that's exactly why it's so good. I would suggest you to go to read a book if you want something with depth instead of searching for it in cartoons, but people who needs to watch deep and mature stuff to feel intelligent are usually too retarded for them.
>>
It means anime for people who actually like anime.
>>
>>148714069
Will never understand this reasoning. After a certain point everything becomes pandering to you people.
>>
>>148714069
>"otaku pandering" anime has no value when being watched by other, non-otaku people.
This doesn't matter. It's okay to appeal to a niche audience. For example many videogames today are shit because they try too hard to do the opposite - that being appealing to as many people as possible.

>And the value otaku do get out of it is not that much, either - you get a tits and ass buffet, and a couple of references to other anime, all for a couple of seconds of "fun".

What you consider to be valuable is going to be different to what other people consider to be valuable. For some people maybe all they want is something that is superficially fun and easy to enjoy.

>No depth, nothing intellectually deep to make you reconsider your whole goddamn life
I doubt most "non-otaku-pandering" anime manage to achieve these kind of things either.

>it's hedonism and vicarious living in one, in an animated form.
Moralist argument that means nothing.
>>
>>148714069

Excuse me while I destroy your idea.

Ghost in the Shell is a classic anime that explores existentialist and posthumanist themes in regard to its cyborg protagonist.

Ghost in the Shell had a metric ton of titties in it.

I shall await your response.
>>
>>148714069
this

>>148714326
>>148714763
>hurr if you want quality writing read books
Found the dumb manchildren
>>
>>148713766
anime that isnt entry level
>>
Just another non-argument normalfags bring up to use as criticism against something not made for them.
>>
>>148714854
It is not an "otaku pandering" anime per se - the fanservice serves not only to sate the audience's hungry eyes, but for also to make a point - once you've switched bodies enough times, you don't really grow attached to them, and don't feel any shame about being seen near-naked.
>>
>>148714955
What's even more manchild is watching fucking cartoons for philosophical depth
>>
>>148715040
Oh look it's another weeaboo who thinks he's a special snowflake for watching garbage
>>
>>148714069
Deep. Man.
>>
Anything that I don't like is Otaku pandering.
>>
File: 1373385747822.jpg (68KB, 416x316px) Image search: [Google]
1373385747822.jpg
68KB, 416x316px
>>148715121
look its another fresh delusional underage retard who thinks he watches the 'good' anime

hopefully he will wise up or leave sooner rather than later. but regardless even if and when he does there will be 10 more to take his place so cest la vie.
>>
>>148715047
Agreed, but let me argue a bit.

Just because something is animated, it doesn't prevent it from any "physical depth". Not everything animated is a damn saturday morning kiddie cartoon. I'm not pushing for the Marianas', I'm not expecting DEEP stuff, but the in-your-face approach with some anime is simply too much. Everything HAS to be explained onscreen.

I'm not beyond shitty ecchi romcoms, but the flatness sometimes is too much for me.
>>
>>148715248
FLCL is good
>>
>>148715248
Oh you are one of those "open minded" faggots who thinks that watching lots of ecchi and moe garbage makes you open minded, lmao
>>
I love how /a/ defends moeshit and haremshit with zero depth and says everyone who hates them is a reddit MAL deepfag, yet they still hate shallow shonen with a passion.
>>
>>148715503
/a/ is made up of several different groups of circlejerks who all just try to discuss their favorite anime while shitting on each others' taste in their favorite anime in the meantime.

There's some who watch kiddy action shit for boys, there's some who watch shit boring anime for girls, there's some who watch edgy garbage shit for teenagers, there's others who watch nothing-happens-not-even-boring-drama-slice of life shit for adults.

As long as it's in a somewhat good jest and fun, it's a cool place.
>>
Pandering is what you call something that other people like but you don't.
It's just a pejorative way of saying "selling to a target audience", with the strong implication that the target audience has shit taste, and the product will also be shit.
It's certainly not an objective term, but it has its uses.
>>
>>148715456
I know people like you in real life. People like you should be gassed.
>>
>>148715973
>being this edgy because people don't like what you like
Are you fucking autistic? Kek
>>
>>148713920
This
>>
>>148715973
>people who have better taste than me deserve to die
>>
>>148715503
Slice of life is innately more character driven than shounen so there is kinda merit to defending something like K-On vs. something like Hunter X Hunter but that's not to say both can't be either very good or very bad. Anyone who say To-Love Ru is better than something like SNK is retarded.
>>
>>148716038
>>148715998
Post examples of your taste.
>>
Its a term used by normal faggots who, after doing their damnedest to destroy and water down video games have set their sights on Anime so they can do what they do best all over again.
>>
Would well-made moe anime such as Non Non Biyori and Yuru Yuri be considered otaku pandering? Or a good form of otaku pandering?
>>
>>148716178
>Non Non Biyori
>well made
please stop trolling
>>
>>148716111
Boku no Pico, Pupa and Nutshack
>>
>>148716156
How long until this all blows over, or am I going to have to deal with this happening to everything I like ever? Books and movies are already fallen art forms catering to the lowest common denominator and regurgitating the same garbage over and over. Video games are going the same direction, and now normies are all over anime as well.
>>
>>148716178
>well-made moe anime
>such as Non Non Biyori and Yuru Yuri
Ahahahahahaha
>>
>>148716156
>this is what moeshitters and waifufags actually believe
>>
>>148713766
Appealing to the "hardcore otaku" demographic. It isn't necessarily bad, but can cause creators to fall back upon tried and true clichés instead of being experimental - which, again, doesn't have to be a bad thing.
>>
>>148716303
I bet you're the type who hates on something like Gunbuster because you saw titties and got afraid.
>>
>>148713766
>Why is it bad?
You either pander to otaku or pander to the mainstream. Take a look at video games and be glad that they're pandering to otaku.
>>
>>148716332
I don't watch mechashit
>>
>>148716332
moefags are the ones scared of titties because
>muh purity
>muh don't sexualise
>>
>>148716303
Its what you do with everything.

>Invade hobby.
>Kick out and alienate the original fan base and supporters of the hobby until they leave.
>Shit the place up until you get bored and then wonder "omg what happened :(:(:("
>>
>>148716451
are you just projecting now
>>
>>148716255
As long as there exists a largest demographic greed will cause industries to move.
>>
>>148716451
Attack on Titan was a mistake. I liked the show but it was very definitely that that caused a resurgence of people getting into anime and boy did it bring some cancer into the medium.
>>
File: IMG_9245.jpg (47KB, 512x523px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9245.jpg
47KB, 512x523px
>>148716255
>>148716303
>>148716438
>>148716451
>Implying Japan gives a shit about westerners complaining about problematic anime
>>
>>148713766

>What is "otaku pandering"?
A synonym for fan service.

>Why is it bad?
Its not. Provided there's still character development and a good story, you can do all the pandering you want. The problem comes when a show is nothing but pandering.
>>
It's just a 4chan buzzword for anime with cute girls in it. Has nothing to do with pandering to real anime otaku at all. Ghost in the Shell panders to them (and was watched by basically no one else in Japan) while K-On doesn't (and wasn't popular at all with traditional otaku who mostly like science fiction, but was popular with normal people). But /a/ thinks the opposite is true because people here are retarded
>>
>>148715331
Why are you there then? It has always been like that and it's not gonna change any soon
>>
>>148715503
I dont hate shonen shit per se. I just dont want their target audience (kids) posting here.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.