[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you looking forward to the sequels of FLCL? Do you think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

File: maxresdefault-10.jpg (133KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-10.jpg
133KB, 1280x720px
Are you looking forward to the sequels of FLCL? Do you think that it could turn out good? Have new interesting takes on the same premise?
So far we don't know much aside that the new MC is a girl and Haruko is returning. Will it be /u/? Vagina robots coming out of her forehead?
>>
Kickstart moneygrab.
>>
>>148711438
I'm looking forward to it
>>
File: FLCL_2.jpg (44KB, 486x494px) Image search: [Google]
FLCL_2.jpg
44KB, 486x494px
Definitely interested, but I don't know what to expect.
FLCL was a breath of really fresh air back in 2001, it took me totally by surprise, let's see if they can do it again.

Are they using the pillows again for the OST? Would be weird without them.

Also, who else is returning? I remember reading Sadamoto is doing the char design again, and the guy who wrote the original story and the manga is also returning, but I don't think Tsurumaki is gonna direct, is he? Any of the other directors returning?
>>
No, it should've stayed the way it was, wont be the same and the pillows wont be in it
>>
>>148711438
Never watched this, so nah
>>
File: 1475287905317.jpg (99KB, 448x537px) Image search: [Google]
1475287905317.jpg
99KB, 448x537px
I WANT ANNO TO GIVE KYOANI THE AUTHORITY TO FINISH REBUILD OF EVANGELION

AND THEN SHAFT WILL GET TO DO AN EVANGELION PREQUEL FEATURING MISATO, RISTUKO, KAJI, GENDO, AND WHOEVER THE HELL ELSE

THEN JC STAFF WILL GET TO REIMAGINE THE ORIGINAL EVANGELION IN A BRAND, SPANKING NEW TV SERIES NETFLIX EXCLUSIVE
>>
>>148712207

Wrong thread?
>>
It feels like a kinda cynical decision to me. I would rather it were just left alone.

As I understand it, FLCL was borne out of two things, 1) Gainax and IG were exhausted by the seriousness of EoE and wanted to do something more fun and off the wall, and 2) IG needed to test their new digital production process. Since the goals weren't explicity to sell something, it gave Tsurumaki licence to make something quite esoteric.

But this... this just looks like they want money. Why does it need to be made? Had there EVER been talk of the possibility of a sequel up until the announcement?
>>
>FLCL2

been waiting on this shit for years
>>
>>148711438
>are you looking forward to garbage
No.
>>
>>148712294
Maybe he doesn't know Production I.G was involved in the original.
>>
>>148712096
The Pillows are in charge of the OST, and Tsurumaki is supervising.
>>
>>148711438
Interested as for it's curiosity value at this stage
>>
>>148712096
Motohiro Katsuyuki is directing. The only anime he's been involved in is PsychoPass.
>>
>>148711438
I'm on board given the fact that they know how precious the original is and they're doing everything to ensure it's a quality product. Tsurumaki and The Pillows being involved give me hope.
>>
>>148712397
That doesn't instill me with confidence.
>>
at this point I don't care, but I'll still watch it.
>>
It really didn't need to happen. Just why.
>>
>making money is bad
>nothing made for profit has ever been good

Listen to yourselves.
>>
File: tumblr_lyq4vdkJPi1qed2bo.jpg (34KB, 468x351px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lyq4vdkJPi1qed2bo.jpg
34KB, 468x351px
Haruko is probably gonna be the same since she doesn't age, but I kind of wish to see Naota, Ninamori and Mamimi appearing as adults.
As depressing as it would be, a part of me want to see him return as the new Amarao.
>>
I can't wait for /a/ to start hating FLCL.
>>
>>148712565
>As depressing as it would be, a part of me want to see him return as the new Amarao.

This is just about the only thing they could do that would taint the original in my eyes.
>>
>>148711438
The team behind it is good, but FLCL was also a perfectly contained story, expertly told with no room for expansion. Any expansion that could happen would have to do with Atomsk or Medical Mechanica, and those things are the background to the real story of FLCL, and don't need to be expanded upon.
>>
>>148712520
There's nothing wrong with making money, but if that's the only goal you have, it's not terribly likely you'll make something great.
>>
File: FLCLartbook28.jpg (1MB, 1024x1325px) Image search: [Google]
FLCLartbook28.jpg
1MB, 1024x1325px
>>148712297

FLCL also was the return of Gainax to the OVA format since Otaku no Video in 1991.

>Had there EVER been talk of the possibility of a sequel up until the announcement?

I do remember rumors and people talking about a FLCL sequel back in the day, and also "FLCL: The Movie", which many thought would be a sequel, others said it'd be a re-telling, but in the end it turned out to be the VHS/DVD section of the official FLCL site, which they titled "Movie" instead of "Video", leading to western people to get confused about, but I don't remember too well, maybe at some point a movie was in the plans.

Also, anon, every work is made with "money" in mind, nobody works for free. The thing is if this sequel will be up to standard or not.
>>
>>148712642
It's not too far fetched, you know?
The whole story is about the struggle of teenagers with shitty failed adults as role models. Even if the series ended on a positive note, Naota could have easily ended up the same as them.
>>
>>148712790
I didn't say FLCL was made for free. Just that it had another purpose for the studios than to be profitable.
>>
>>148712565
It's two six-episode seasons, I would not be surprised if all three of them made an appearance, or at least heavily alluded to.

I could very much stand to see Naota become the new Amarao but that's just me projecting because I identify with Naota in pretty negative ways
>>
File: FLCLtitle.jpg (13KB, 350x254px) Image search: [Google]
FLCLtitle.jpg
13KB, 350x254px
>>148712587

It already does. Because retards here think everyone who knows about FLCL is due to Adult Swim.

I imported the japanese DVDs back in 2000/2001 as they were released in Japan, and now underage fucks try to tell me I'm a a pleb because "you only like FLCL because you watched it as a kid on cartoon network". Damn I hate those brats.
>>
>>148713017
>you only like FLCL because you watched it as a kid on cartoon network
How is this even a valid dismissal of enjoying the show? How is this even pleb status, to be real I don't think any underaged on this board were old enough to have watched/understood FLCL at that time. Maybe I'm wrong. Hell, I couldn't even get into anime before last year but I knew watching FLCL I was watching a masterpiece and understood why it's reputation was, as OP said, 'a breath of fresh air', if not having saved anime.
>>
>>148713121

It's just how a lot of people think. The more obscure and hard to find a thing is, the less pleb it is.
What they don't know is that I was already watching FLCL on DVD before they had consciousness.
In fact I remember 9/11 because I was watching FLCL as the towers went down.
>>
>>148713121
Not to mention FLCL having been watched on Adult Swim only applies to Americans.
>>
I'm past the despair point and just trying to look at the bright side.

They got some of the original peeps in it, which is good, maybe they'll get more?

Adult Swim honestly know a lot about canning projects if they get too boring/insipid, and I'm a big fan of some of their shows so I can't really complain.

Production I.G. has made great things in the past, as long as this isn't the Arise to FLCL's GiTS I'll be happy.

>>148713017
>2002
>cousin is friends with this 18 y.o super otaku literally has all of DBZ in VHS with old tape-trader fansubs, bunch of rare Gainax shorts, mountains of manga and doujin in Japanese
>"hey have this you'll guys get a kick out of it"
>hands us three CDs with FLCL written on it

God man, that shit was the bomb.
>>
>>148711438
>the new MC is a girl

So what kind of potential problems will she face especially at this day in age?
>>
>>148713264

Urban disenchantment and ennui is still prevalent in this day and age.
>>
>>148711438
I thought it was an April Fools joke.
>>
>>148713303
This. Exactly why FLCL is such a remarkable coming of age story, they're not going to abandon that, they're just going for a grill MC because it would be weird for Naota to be around a new boy Naota, it has to be femme
>>
>>148712397
>>148712455

And it was the movie.

His other movies all look atrocious.

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>148713425
Season 1 as well. There is literally nothing wrong with the directing in Psycho-Pass.
>>
>>148711438
the soundtrack better still be good

it FUCKING BETTER OR I'LL HURT SOMEONE
>>
It kinda feels against what made it stand out, FLCL feels like a weird adolescent fever dream. Repeating it ruins the impact, unless you take it in a very different direction in which case why call it flcl?
>>
>>148713655

I'll try not to come off as much of an asshole as I usually do when discussing the pillows; but their late 00's-present output is extremely samey, boring, mid-tempo pop-rock top 40 drivel.

It won't be bad if you're a super fan I guess, but for me I'm just hoping for something slightly decent...
>>
>>148713668
I don't see it that way. People experience adolescence in different ways, mine was nothing like Naota's. I think it's possible to tell a different story in the same spirit.
>>
>>148713853
But it did cover the majority of points, if you boil down stories about adolescents they are about sex, what growing up means, fitting in and trying to understand the world/a disinterest in doing so.

You'd have to go for a really different style of show to not feel like it was retreading old ground, which basically means it being flcl2 is pointless.
>>
>>148714391
The point is that there is no universal answer to the question "What does growing up men?". It's different for everyone. Figuring out how you fit in to the world at large is not a science and there are endless epiphanies one could have.

Seems to me they're going about it the right way. It's not the style they should change, it's the conclusions reached and the lessons learned.
>>
>>148714862
*"What does growing up mean?" of course.
>>
>>148714862
>The point is that there is no universal answer to the question "What does growing up men?". It's different for everyone.
And as I pointed out the same basic points remain. They can have it be robots come out her cooch and she players football instead of baseball, but they would still just be retreading the same old as those are the points a story dealing with adolescence go. for.

If it goes for a completely different angle and style, why is it flcl2?

> no universal answer
And flcl didn't present one, it presented the feeling of adolescence to capture the feeling of what growing up is. It wasn't a show presenting answers, the events of the show were to give different angles and moves not being those events are plot crucial. This is part of teh reason I think the show has been so popular, you don't have to live through similar events to have very personal connections to moments in the show
>>
What if it's actually better than the original?
>>
>>148715504
We'll all pretend it's not anyway.
>>
>>148715504

I'll honestly get down on my knees and kiss the tip of your dick.
>>
>>148712207
>KYOANI
Okay.

>THEN SHAFT, THEN JC STAFF
Holy shit, this is the most shit taste i've ever seen.
>>
>>148715504
>Implying /a/ actually watch anime
Nah. No matter how great that sequel, /a/ will hate it regardless.
>>
File: [De29_08.24.31].jpg (101KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
[De29_08.24.31].jpg
101KB, 1280x720px
>toonami
>adult swim
>production ig

what the fuck is going on here.
>>
File: naota guitarbw.jpg (29KB, 308x350px) Image search: [Google]
naota guitarbw.jpg
29KB, 308x350px
>>148715446

By changing the protagonist (and presumably) her supporting cast they're going for a different perspective. The same crazy girl and all the chaos she brings is coming back but a new character has to deal with it. The off-the-wall batshit stuff is going to happen but how does the new MC react? Like >>148714862 said, everyone finds different answers and methods. We saw how Naota dealt with and changed from everything that happened. That was his perspective and his story. We have a new story with the same triggering events and setting, hence FLCL2 and not "inspired by..." or "from the creators of...".

I'm not going to lie, I don't think this purely cynical attempt to recapture the magic of the original will work. FLCL was the result of unusual circumstances and probably some intangible things like luck and the need to break free of darker lines of thought. But asking why it's being called a sequel rather than a re-tread or re-imagining is silly.
>>
File: FLCLmamimi.gif (51KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
FLCLmamimi.gif
51KB, 300x225px
>>148717247
>>toonami
>>adult swim

Made it popular for american audiences

>production ig

worked on the original FLCL
>>
>>148717342
>different perspective.
>The off-the-wall batshit stuff is going to happen but how does the new MC react?
See lines like this worry me, cause the off the wall batshit had a point and was crafted for that story and idea. The actual premise of flcl is very generic, what makes it so good is how it did go so saying different perspective really means a very different (possibly more generic) show. It isn't as easy to just plug in a new protagonist with a few tweaks and get another flcl like you could with some franchises.

>We saw how Naota dealt with and changed from everything that happened.
The thing is he really didn't that much, his actual changes of the series were quite small and it is more seeing a pretty wide range of feelings from the cast(which makes just do it different hard). Although he does freak out at stuff a lot his overall feeling to events was seeing it as mundane annoyances, and that mundane feeling is what grounds the show a lot.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.