[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Japan not give a shit about spoilers at all? Every

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

Why does Japan not give a shit about spoilers at all?

Every time I watch a show and forget to skip the next episode preview, it always spoils something huge about the next episode.

Here is the fucking preview for episode 23 of Evangelion:

>Eva Unit 00 and its pilot are possessed and violated by an Angel. But even as her mind and body are being eaten away, she never loses sight of herself. However, Rei chooses death of her own will in order to protect Shinji from the Angel. She disappears along with New Tokyo-3, turning into light and heat. Leaving behind only memories in people's souls. Next time: "Tears"

That's not a preview that's a god damned synopsis what the fuck
>>
Most anime is based an a pre existing manga. So people in Japan are already spoiled. Though Eva is an exception. And Anno likes to mock his fans.
>>
>>148488026
>Why does Japan not give a shit about spoilers at all?
Culture. This is also why Japanese film trailers often tell you the entire plot. This is most obvious with Western films, where you can compare the Western trailer with Japanese ones.

Japan as a culture doesn't care much about WHAT happens, they care more about HOW it happens. Obviously sometimes a story teller wants to keep consumers surprised, but that is a minority.
>>
>>148488532

Escaflowne, while falling short in a lot of things, actually handled episode previews really well. It often tricked you into thinking the next episode was going to be one thing like someone dying, then you find out it was something totally different.
>>
File: slayersspoilers.png (390KB, 720x436px) Image search: [Google]
slayersspoilers.png
390KB, 720x436px
I noticed the anime "Slayers" does this in their opening episode titles.
>>
Kabuto Kouji Dies in Magma
Garma Dies
Yamcha Dies
The Magician Doesn't Come Back

The list of episode titles where they really, really want you to watch next time goes on and on.
>>
>>148488532
This is most obvious with Western films, where you can compare the Western trailer with Japanese ones.
Western trailers are also spoiling the whole plot these days, and have been doing so for some time.
>>
File: 1471917725755.jpg (84KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1471917725755.jpg
84KB, 640x480px
>>148489137
>episode titled "Death of the Guyver"
>watch it
>Guyver dies
>>
>>148488026
The episode titles spoiler the most
>>
>>148488026
>caring about spoilers
>caring about EVA
>CARING ABOUT FUCKING EVA SPOILERS
OP, you're more faggot than usual today
>>
File: 1476165311917.jpg (291KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1476165311917.jpg
291KB, 1280x720px
>>148488026
>caring about spoilers
>caring more about the stops than the journey
>>
>>148488026
If a spoiler ruins a story, then it's probably not a good story to begin with.
>>
>>148489533
>Watching Macross 7
>Next episode is Basara dies
>Yeah right Kawamori aint a madman
>He actually dies that absolute madman
>>
>>148488532
>doesn't care much about WHAT happens, they care more about HOW it happens
Not just a Japan thing. There have been actual studies about the whole "spoiler" thing, and the TL;DR of it is that it is actually roughly as enjoyable to be surprised by the "what" as it is knowing it bforehand and be surprised by the "how".
WHich means that deliberately creating expectation about the "how" is a valid marketting technique, and not a dick move.

Basically, the people rudely complaining about
>mu spoilerz
are just being tantruming manchildren. Key word here "rudely".
I mean, if your preference is not to be told, well, that's your preference and you are not worse or better because of it, but if you happen to find about what happens beforehand and you THROW A FUCKING TANTRUM ABOUT IT, that's you being a dick. That's all that's about it.
>>
The delivery is what's most important.
>>
>romeo and juliet prologue says that they're going to die
>they actually die
shakespeare the madman
>>
>>148489780
My friend was sperging out when I told him that Wenli dies. Why are people so autistic?
>>
Utena's episode previews are pretty good. Anthy and Utena talk more about the overall theme of the next episode whilst choice cuts play rather than explaining what happens neccessarily.
>>
>>148489780
You don't even need study for those.
Take example of LN / Manga adaptation, people already know what will happen yet OC and fun will still flow.
>>
>>148489780
>it is actually roughly as enjoyable to be surprised by the "what" as it is knowing it bforehand and be surprised by the "how"
But nothing can recreate the first time you watch/read something you know nothing about.
>>
>>148488026
Spoilers are a meme. Ignorance is not actually bliss; Gray was being sarcastic when he wrote that.

I wonder if it's a result of water-cooler/scuttlebutt culture. You want to be able to discuss Game of Thrones with the guys at work to fit in, but it's not really your cup of tea, so you rely on suspense to force you to watch every week. And the game of "avoid the spoiler" probably adds something as well.
>>
>>148488026
Most of the world outside of the US does not care about "spoilers". Spoilers are for small-minded children who need to be "wowed" with plot twists and gimmicks. Most real people appreciate a story for what it is as a whole, like a tapestry, admiring how all the threads weave together, not focusing only on surprises and the final plot resolution.

If a story is TRULY well-written, you will appreciate it more the second time you are told it, not the first.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.