[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What qualifies as edgy? What makes a show edgy? What shows are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 27

File: image.png (2KB, 310x115px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2KB, 310x115px
What qualifies as edgy? What makes a show edgy? What shows are edgy? What shows are edgy done right?
>>
File: 1f4.png (1B, 486x500px)
1f4.png
1B, 486x500px
pump
>>
shit topic desu
no decent discussion is possible
>>
>>148464444
As far as I can tell. "Edge" is when someone tries (and usually fails) to stand on the edge of what is acceptable, usually through excessive darkness and everything being terrible.

(Normally this is done through trying way too hard to make a unique and dark characters/setting. Trench coats and katanas and all)
>>
Edgy
/ˈɛdʒi/
adjective

at the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde.
>>
File: guaranteed replies.png (169KB, 960x1408px) Image search: [Google]
guaranteed replies.png
169KB, 960x1408px
>>
>>148464444
>4444
nice.
But edgy is more along the lines of a show trying way too hard to be gory and depressive (including child abuse, rape, torture etc.) while also taking itself 100% seriously. The plebs really love it and think that everything with torture and gore is deep and intellectual.

Some of the edgier titles out there are:
Mirai nikki
Agame ka kill
Attack on titan
Tokyo ghoul
Re;Zero
Type moon stuff
Deadman wonderland
Some parts of early berserk
Elfen lied
Higurashi
Bokurano
Now and then, Here and there
Urobutcher's works
Narutaru
Phantom
Shigurui
Gantz
Pupa
Kabaneri

On the other hand, edgy done right is when it doesnt take itself seriously (ironic/rule of cool edgy shows like Jojo or Hellsing) or when the show has some real meaning behind all the gore and stuff.
>>
edgy is including dark elements for the sake of being dark and not with any intention of exploring the themes or realistic human behaviour, basically using darkness and grimness to make your show seem more grown up and complicated than it actually is. A perfect example of this is the game shadow the hedgehog, which has a silly plot about magic hedgehogs fighting off an alien invasion with inaccurately depicted guns, but is portrayed in game in a dead serious manner and acts like it's a profound window into the nature of redemption. another is Elfen Lied, which portrays itself as a serious show about human nature, when in fact it's just an excuse to put shock violence and cute anime cat girls together in one show. basically, edginess in modern internet lingo is where dark themes and pretentiousness overlap.
I'm not sure pure edge shows can be done right except as a parody, but dark themes can be done right.
>>
File: bleeding edge.jpg (63KB, 401x299px) Image search: [Google]
bleeding edge.jpg
63KB, 401x299px
I think of edgy as something a moody 13-year-old would find cool.
>>
>>148467074
>when the show has some real meaning behind all the gore and stuff.
oh boy
>>
>>148467218
There are some examples out where the edge does coexists with a a good story/themes/ideas
Berserk
Black lagoon
Fate/Zero (it lost some of the unnecessary edge when caster left)
Gunslinger girl
Parasyte
>>
>>148467074
I agree on:
Mirai Nikki
Attack On Titan
Tokyo Ghoul
Deadman Wonderland
Elfen Lied
Higurashi

all the rest of these I haven't gotten to yet/completed

early Berserk was insane though
>>
Is it still considered edgy if the mangaka/author uses dark themes to simply show that their characters have seen some shit? Like Berserk for example, which seems to do "edgy" per se, fairly well.
>>
>>148467904
>Is it still considered edgy if the mangaka/author uses dark themes to simply show that their characters have seen some shit?
No. Berserk did it right. The setting is consistently grimm and dark. The horrible things that the characters go trough have a lasting effect on their character development. And the characters/story is strong enough to support the manga without the edge (its just a flavour in berserk)-
>>
>>148467074
Painful to see Shigurui mentioned alongside all that dreck.
>>
>>148464444
In simplest form, a combination of nonconformity and violence. It's a thematic aspect that can be applied to characters and works.

For shows, edgy tends to indicate the presence of senseless, gratuitous violence. There's no meaning to the conflict, it's just there as an excuse to have characters butcher each other. For characters, edgy can be a spectrum that becomes more nebulously defined, but with the shared aspect of being contrary to the norm. Context does matter here. Some examples:

Akemi Homura - mildly edgy:
>uses military grade firearms instead of magical attacks
>more plain aesthetic instead of frills and bright colors
>represses her empathy
>cynical and goal-oriented rather than idealistic and heroic

Matoi Ryuko - somewhat edgy:
>delinquent/social outcast
>red/black color scheme representative of violence
>blood for power
>confrontational personality
>motivated by revenge and rebellion

Yagami Light - very edgy:
>god complex
>lack of empathy or remorse
>hellbent on enforcing his ideals upon others
>sadistically enjoys exerting power over others
>perfectly content to enact massacre

What's important to note is that "edgy" isn't necessarily an all-defining; it doesn't include other facets a character may have. A well rounded character may have some edge, but will also demonstrate other traits.
>>
File: 1435806037266.png (145KB, 343x327px) Image search: [Google]
1435806037266.png
145KB, 343x327px
>>148464444
Nice
>>
>>148467074
Fuck off Jojofag
>>
File: bleached.png (2MB, 927x1400px) Image search: [Google]
bleached.png
2MB, 927x1400px
Bleach.
>>
File: edgy.jpg (175KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
edgy.jpg
175KB, 1280x720px
>>148464444
The only truly edgy anime I watched is HunterxHunter.

>DUUDE HUMANITY IS SO EVIL LMAO WE CRUSH BUGS UNDER OUR SHOES N
SHIET
>DUUUUDE NUCLEAR WEAPONRY WAS CREATED BY HUMANS MAKING US THE DEVIL LMAO
>HUMANS EAT MEAT THEREFORE EVIL
>>
>>148464444
Something I don't like
Having things I don't like
Shows I don't like
None because I don't like them
>>
>>148468307
"Humans are bad" isn't edgy. Edgy would be "humans are bad and deserve to die".
>>
Personally i see "Edgy" as something that is inherently silly yet takes itself waaaay too seriously. For example:

FMA 2003
>Character who wasn't rapes in the manga is raped in the show for no other reason than "rape makes you DEEP"

>Or a character killing a guy than immediately after reciting some shitty poem that some emo kid on Deviant art would post accompanied by a picture of Shadow The Hedgehog

Whereas something like Hellsing which has a lot of shit in it that could be considered "Edgy" actually doesn't take itself too serious with both heroes and villain having moments of Levity and characters like Alucard and the Major dispite doing all this fucked up violent shit are basically having a lot of fun! As is the audience watching.

This also goes for Dorohedoro, again a manga that has pretty dark shit succeeds as not coming off as "Tryhard and Edgy" because of its endearing characters.

People like Kishimoto can learn a thing or two from this, as characters like Sasuke are far less likeable than people like En who has done far more fucked up shit in his respective manga.
>>
>>148467074
It's not about "deeper meaning", you can write a story about depression, rape and all that that just treats this stuff with respect.
It's the difference between explore and exploit
>>
Who are some edgelord characters actually done right with a convincing motive to their actions and attitude?
>>
>>148464444
edge is usually (not always) an author's attempt at discussing a mature topic while lacking the skillfulness needed to actually give the topic the required depth. This dissonance between what is being discussed and how it's being presented result in a ridiculous almost comical atmosphere which lends itself to mockery.

In other cases, it's just lots of knives and blood and shit.
>>
File: HxH_c343_p18.jpg (228KB, 784x1145px) Image search: [Google]
HxH_c343_p18.jpg
228KB, 784x1145px
>>148469052
>>
>>148468416
neither of those things are edgy. If an author can present a clear argument or a fictional premise where the logical response is ”Humans need to die" without creating dissonance or seeming childish then you could a decent non-edgy story about the end of the world.

Now, the level of self-awareness and skill needed to actually write such a story is a completely different case.
>>
>>148469052
>Who are some edgelord characters actually done right with a convincing motive to their actions and attitude?
>Knives from trigun
He has a good reason for his kill em all policy.
>Ryuko from kill la kill
She starts out as a edgy badass, but she has a soft side and she matures alot troughout the show.
>The major from Hellsing
His motivations are actually pretty interesting (+he is super fun, along with most of the cast)
>Light yagami
He is kinda like Raskolikov, only on a global scale (and no regret).
>Revy from black lagoon
The whole show is about the people who loose their souls in the inhuman criminal underworld.
>Ladd russo and the rail tracer from baccano Because they were both over the top, likable and fun.

Guts from berserk is the best example since he goes trough so much bad shit. While he does act edgy for most of the black swordsman arc, once he comes out of it, he starts fighting for love instead of hate. He is still highly competent, would sacrifice himself for his companions and acts as a pretty smart mentor/father figure to his crew. His story is all about surviving really tough times and regaining your humanity afterwards.
>>
>>148464444
Psssh... nothin personnel... kid...
>>
>>148464444
Any anime I don't like
>>
>>148469677
>>Knives from trigun
>He has a good reason for his kill em all policy.
Not in the anime I remember. Are you talking about the manga?
>>
>>148471278
In the anime, he was just an ass.
In the manga, he saw first hand the cruelty humans can commit against other spicies, which led to his nazi/genocide tendencies, while Vash saw human kindness at its best, which led him to become a pacifist.
>>
File: 1469771385041.png (358KB, 719x720px) Image search: [Google]
1469771385041.png
358KB, 719x720px
>>148464444
Edgy is the gratuitous inclusion of darker themes (violence, sexual abuse, excessive profanity etc.), that only serves for shock value rather than exploring the themes it included.

>>148468307
Eh I disagree, HxH actually bothered to explore both sides of the narrative as suppose to use them as window dressing to make the HxH seem grittier. Had some human fags pulled a YYH and preached about how all humans are 'diseased' and must all died then that would've been edgy as fuck.
>>
Comfy = I like this

Edgy = I don't like this

it's dark in any fucking way imagineable, it doesn't even matter how much = it's edgy

it has basically no plot = comfy
>>
>>148467074
>Bokurano is edgy

Really ? Kill yourself
>>
Pointless, badly executed violence.
Failed grittiness in general.
>>
>>148471792
>Torturing children = deep and thought provoking
Are you one of those people who recommend elfen lied to everyone?
>>
>>148471792
>Bokurano was good

It was just some edgy shit to kill off the kids. You never get engaged with any too long unless you're some over emotional sap.
>>
>>148467074
I agree but Gantz is awesome, I've got to discent in that.
>>
File: 1475707901441.jpg (358KB, 994x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1475707901441.jpg
358KB, 994x1400px
Is Junji Ito edgy done right?
>>
Edgy is pretty much everything with counter cultural signaling and vicious violence that I don't like because it's shit.
>>
>>148472103
Nigga, that was not what you were supposed to take away from that story.
>>
>>148467074
The gore in aot makes sense. only the emotions are edgy and exaggerated
>>
>>148472596
It is done in a campy way and it is honestly the only way to do it. Look at MD Geist, edgy as hell but done in a over the top and campy manner.
>>
>>148464444
good edge: Mazikaiser SKL
bad edge: elfen lied
>>
File: 1474648460817.jpg (39KB, 569x542px) Image search: [Google]
1474648460817.jpg
39KB, 569x542px
>>148472885
>and it is honestly the only way to do it
What about the Berserk way?
>>
>>148472979
Self harm to trigger powers, Characters we barely know getting killed off for shock factor, kids killing adults, eren in general etc. the whole first half is pretty edgy. the political arc is pretty tame. And after that it becomes a trainwreck.
>>
File: 20160721105044.jpg (251KB, 560x792px) Image search: [Google]
20160721105044.jpg
251KB, 560x792px
IMO there is no such thing as edgy done right, because I think if something has to be edgy it is by default, trying too hard.

>FOR EXAMPLE
>PIC RELATED

I'll use pic related as my point. It starts off from episode one, going full edge. There is no mystery, there is no build up. We automatically know that any cuteness is merely a facade & gore/violence will follow shortly.

Episode two was no different & unless this is your first anime ever, it was painfully obvious that dreamy-chan was going to die. The fucking obviously-evil-not-kyubey even ham–fistedly throws in a line along the lines of "saying goodbye to everything".

Once again I don't think edge can be done "right", but if I had to give an example of it done poorly, this would be it. When the hook of an entire story resides solely on violent things happening to cute characters, it's just dumb shit that tweens might find appealing (which is probably their target demographic anyway... but still).

I think violence, even excessive violence can really make a story great. Game of Thrones is a perfect example, because it REALLY threw away the notion that main characters are always safe. And additionally, it also threw away the idea that main characters even if they do die, will die gracefully. It used violence to make it's cast seem human & if you hadn't read the books, it made every battle really intense because you had no idea if a character you liked was going to die.

I don't know exactly what my point is, but I think that violence in storytelling used in lazy ways in hopes of getting a response from the audience, is fucking lame. And when I think of edgy, that's what comes to my mind.
>>
>>148464444
Edginess is a form of style-over-substance content. Content with 'dark themes' can be truly excellent, but edginess simply apes the style of violence, cruelty, and misery without understanding the reasons behind it.

>>148467074
Is a solid list of edgy shows. Note that an important dividing line on whether someone considers something edgy is whether they were personally able to get on board with the characters, plot or setting, so it's hard to find anything universally agreed to be edgy.

Edgy "done right" might be something like Shin Sekai Yori or Texhnolyze, which have a lot of terrible things happen but for believable reasons that contribute to the plot and characterisation. It's also important that a show not go out of its way to revel in gore and suffering, instead being fairly judicious with it. Another option is to be true-to-life. If it were a fantasy story, Grave of the Fireflies might well have people calling it edgy. Alternatively you can try to "shoot the moon" Hellsing-style, where you wade so far into pointless gothicism that doing so becomes the point. This is inadvisable, but has worked occasionally.
>>
>>148472596
You can't claim that horror is edgy. The entire point is to unsettle and frighten you.
>>
>>148464444
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZjX65NYVGM
>>
File: 018 (3).png (247KB, 960x1408px) Image search: [Google]
018 (3).png
247KB, 960x1408px
>>
The only example of edgy done right that comes to my mind are a few nitroplus works like Saya and Chaos;Head. Madoka too although that may be considered more of a grimdark with edgy visuals. Loved the visuals though, whatever the group responsible for the puppet stuff is called again. Also appears in Zetsubou Sensei. NHK is kinda edgy but I've no complaints with it.

Baccano and Champloo are pushing it.
>>
Edgy done right would be like Hellsing and Black Lagoon which use the excessive violence to excite and entertain rather than to shock, and use it's edgy psychotic protagonists as a means to explore morality and interpersonal relationships. Contrast that with Akame ga Kill, Attack on Titan, or Deadman Wonderland, which use their violence and deaths purely as shock value or a half-assed gimmick, while failing to explore the morality of the supposedly morally ambiguous characters.

To use videogames as another example, it's the main reason Doom is considered "metal" while Hatred is considered "edgy". Doom uses its violence and gore to get you hyped and excited to rip and tear more demons, while Hatred uses its violence to get people sickened and riled up.

>>148473596
"Edgy" horror would be things like Slasher films such as Friday the 13th and arguably the original Halloween, and most Zombie media such as The Walking Dead. 80's slasher flicks loved to use the gratuitous sex and needless violence to draw in its audience, while The Walking Dead...well, just read about the latest season finale to get what I mean.
>>
>>148473560
Actually, edgy done right is when a super violent show does not take itself seriously. For example, a vampire killing a bunch of people by dismemberment and spilling blood everywhere, can be be pretty edgy. But a huge Aztec male stripper vampire, turning nazis into a bloody mess with his unicorn horn is not edgy, since it does not take itself seriously.
Hellsing for example is all about the highly over the top ultra violence, mixed with fun action.
Black lagoon is both about trigger happy bimbos going on a killing spree, as it is about the dehumanizing effect that the criminal underworld has on people.
Parasyte has it's fair share of gore, but it tries to get a point across. And berserk has a strong story and characters, and most of the edgy stuff has an effect on the characters development.

Also, your game of thrones analogy is weak. I have read the books, and so far, only secondary characters and two pov characters have died. I literally am not worried about any of the main pov characters till the last book. And while the inferior tv adaptation is trying way too hard to be shocking, by killing every secondary character around (they killed 33 characters last season), I am still not worried about the main cast until season 8 comes out.

A better analogy would be legend of the galactic heroes. It pretty tame most of the time, but when it can get pretty gory when it tries to show the horrors of the war. Also, while it quickly builds a reputation of being one of those "anyone can die shows", it rarely kills anyone off. That makes the few deaths that do happen, much more suprising and emotional.
>>
>>148467074
You're kind of right but series like Shigurui and Gantz don't belong there

Gantz doesn't feel pretentious or righteous in the way that it's edgy, it's closer to Hellsing than shit like Akame Ga Kill or Re:Zero.
>>
>>148473596
>>148474346
I can give an example of edgy horror:
The original Halloween is all about keeping you on the edge of your seat with suspense wile quick kills here and there are the payoff. Meanwhile Rob Zombies Halloween remakes are all about making you feel sick to your stomach by the most disgusting things Rob can come up with. One is masterful horror, the other is shock factor.
>>
Is re:zero edgy? I

have not seen it yet, but from what i heard, the first badguy is known for gutting her victims, subaru dies in the most over the top and gory ways possible and there is a edgy joker like character who does eyeball licking, torture and bites his own fingers. from all of that i can make out that the show is very tryhard with it's shock factor, while taking itself way too seriously.
>>
>>148474869
I guess I can see that. House of 1000 Corpses was fucking stupid
>>
If it's not happy it's edgy.
>>
>>148467074
>Kabaneri, Attack on Titan, Gantz, Berserk
>edgy
You are confusing actual Seinen with Shounen being edgy to appeal 15yo teens. Its not because there is blood, violence and dex that this is EDGY.
(SnK is mainstream tho but nothing edgy)
>>
>>148464444
Edgy, like many words in recent years has become so overused, that it lost almost all meaning it once had, unfortunatley
>>
>>148475247
See >>148473539
>>
>>148475430
That's why I made this thread. To find out what edgy means, outside of memes and hate.
>>
>>148464444
Something that is violent and or gory for the sake of it and fails at it
>>
>>148475509
bad writting =/= edgy.
>>
File: 1417322178096.jpg (18KB, 331x526px) Image search: [Google]
1417322178096.jpg
18KB, 331x526px
>>148464444
In my eyes, a show that is edgy is one that tries to handle 'mature' themes, but horribly fails and ironically comes off as childish precisely because it wants to come off as mature.

Both Akame ga Kill and the original Berserk anime were gorefests, but Berserk simply treated it much better. The gore in the battles served a purpose and even developed Guts as a character somewhat (he started out as a grizzled mercenary but over time found his place in the Band of the Hawk) and especially the Eclipse, though brutal and disgusting, was impactful. Akame ga Kill splashes around blood because it's "cool" and says it was about grey morality but never follows up on it (other than with Bols, which is also what makes him by far the best character). The scene where Guts was forced to kill a child has more grey morality in it than all of Akame ga Kill.

So I'd say 'dark' and 'edgy' try to do the same thing, but 'edgy' fails miserably and omes off as immature by trying to be mature. That's also why we associate being edgy with being a teenager: you're still a child, but you have the pretenses of being an adult who knows it all, which is precisely what makes you childish.

And I don't know why so many people call Re:Zero edgy. It isn't.
>>
>>148475599
>bad writting =/= edgy.
That's exactly what edgy is. Writing dark stuff just because you think it would be cool without understanding why and how it works. Basically being a sellout or a retard fixated on an image of something you know jack shit about.
>>
Berserk and Hellsing are edgy garbage, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
>>
WE ARE A MATURE SHOW BECAUSE PEOPLE DIE
>>
File: 1476303280593.jpg (186KB, 540x750px) Image search: [Google]
1476303280593.jpg
186KB, 540x750px
Edgy done wrong:
Sasuke Uchiha
Itachi Uchiha
Obito Uchiha

Edgy done right:
Madara Uchiha
>>
>>148471792
Nigga all characters are unlikeable specially the one supposed to the mc acting like a fucking entitled little bitch the entire show, and trying to win sympathy at the end by doing a hero, if you miraculous found the storyline compelling then I fear you still have too short of an anime list to be spewing retarded nonsense
>>
>>148475684
>And I don't know why so many people call Re:Zero edgy. It isn't.
So all of this >>148475038 is either subtle, mature and/or deep, instead of just being badly written shock factor?
>>
>>148475718
>Berserk
you dont understand the history, it have guts that is like machine made for killing but isnt the point of the history.
>Hellsing
Totally agree
>>
>>148475599
It does when said bad writing involves killing off secondary characters and expecting the audience to care or be "shocked" by it. Marco's death is a great example, we didn't even get to SEE his death, let alone what his thoughts were in his final moments, it just happened and presented in a shocking way by having him be half eaten just to develop Jean's character even though he was already developing just fine in that arc.
>>
>>148475684
>Re:Zero isn't edgy
>Akame ga Kill is
They both do the exact same shit you just pointed out. What the fuck are you even on about?
>>
>>148475718
Dat bait tho
>>
File: 1464731332213.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1464731332213.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>148475827
I don't think it's that black or white. Of course Elsa's character isn't deep, but nobody ever pretended she was. She's more like a villain in a slasher movie actually. That's not enough to make Re:Zero edgy. Like I said in my post you quote, it's the pretense of being deep and mature without being able to follow up on it that makes a show edgy.
>>
>>148467074
Narutaru (both the anime and the manga) is the worst offender, out of all the shows that you listed.
>>
>>148476024
Its true
>>
>>148472885
>>148471792
Bokurano is the definition of edgy pretentious garbage and I'll never understand you people who praise it.
>>
>>148476028
>it's the pretense of being deep and mature without being able to follow up on it that makes a show edgy.
Then re:zero is edgy. It has no substance. It's all about a sperg getting killed in every torture porn way imaginable and then "suffering" afterwards. If that is not edgy, then it better be handled with Eva level of subtlety.
>>
>>148464444
Anything I don't like that isn't sunshine and rainbows and beach episodes.
>>
>>148476166
>Eva
>Subtle
>>
>>148476303
Yup. Christian Symbolism aside, Eva had a lot of subtle moments and character development. It never went overboard with edge. All of the suffering was mental, plausible and relatable. No eyeball licking jokers as villains here (actually, no villains at all). eva has more subtlety than people think.
>>
>>148476533
>Christian Symbolism aside
You know that was Christian symbolism for its own sake, right? Not to tell a story? It's like American Kung Fu movies having Yin-Yang symbols all over the place without knowing what they actually mean.

>No villains at all
>Except for the angels
>Traditionally pure and good beings that are depicted as evil monsters
>Not edgy and contrarian
>>
I consider edgy to be a bunch of blood and guts and faux philosophical themes that only work as long as your not thinking about it really deeply.

Like Hellsing.
>>
>>148476614
>evil
They were just looking for daddy. They were less villains and more obstacles.
>>
>>148476058
Edgy is arguable in Berserk's case. The first 3 volumes were definitely edgy, and there is the infamous rape horse, but Berserk eventually matures and becomes something far more than the adolescent power fantasy it started out as.

Hellsing can definitely be considered edgy, but like I explained in >>148474346, it's edgy done right.
>>
EDGY!1!!1:
>forced drama
>beta gore
>nonsense bloody
>utterly disgusting screams when the shit goes down
>more bloody
>typical one-dimensional characters doing what they are doing either for some stupid reason or not reason at all
>only plebs can stand blood out of proportion without plot and sperging out "it's cool" in the process

Mature:
>realistic
>it has a logical reason to justify their gore scenes and not overuse these methods
>not creepy edgy face
>not stupid crazy and evil laugh
>if it is good enough, it will implement actual mental issues and not "muh crazy ride"

Learn the difference /a/
>>
>>148477480
In short, A show that is edgy is doing it wrong to begin with.
prime examples: Tokyo Ghoul and REEEEE:Zero
>>
>>148477480
Solid explanation
>>
>>148477480
Similar concept can be applied to people.
If someone is edgy he "likes" a show not because of it's mature (or edgy) themes, but more because he feels it makes him cool to be into super gory shit like all his tuff friends over on reddit
>>
>>148477708
Probably edgyfags are the same autists who selfinsert themselves on LN harem battle school genre
>>
Why do you people care so much about edginess? Does it really bother you that much?
>>
>>148477978
When people are claiming some "edgy" show as a masterpiece over and over again just because it's "edgy" then it's reason enough to be bothered by it.
>>
Edge is being way too dark for no reason other than to go "Look at how COOL and MATURE our show is!" I don't think something can qualify as being truly edgy when the dark shit is at least portrayed in a negative light. For example, Berserk isn't really edgy most of the time, because all the violent murder and rape is there to add to the hardships of the characters and serve their development, and even when the protagonists are the ones partaking in horrible actions, it's not a good thing. Sure, Guts killing an apostle is triumphant, but there's always a sense of how it's driving him insane and testing his fortitude. You know he would be much happier if he could live in a world without violence.

The most recent example of textbook edge that I can think of is Akame ga Kill. That just screams of "A 13 year old's idea of cool." The protagonists aren't much better than the villains, but it's considered okay when they go around murdering people.
>>
File: jimg002.jpg (340KB, 1600x1137px) Image search: [Google]
jimg002.jpg
340KB, 1600x1137px
It's actually kind of funny
>>
Nowadays when someone (at least on /a/) calls something edgy what they really mean is grimderp. Stuff trying really hard to be dark and bloody with characters struggling with muh inner darkness that nobody can understand is exactly what grimderp refers to, so I find it kind of odd that nobody uses the term.

Edgy on the other hand is stuff like South Park. Stuff that hovers on the edge of censors and generally thrives on pushing the buttons of moralfags. Edgy shows may or may be critical of society like SP, but it's not required. Note that edge isn't necessarily bad whereas grimderp is essentially referring to edge gone wrong.
>>
File: Bass.EXE_Hub_Style.png (573KB, 558x873px) Image search: [Google]
Bass.EXE_Hub_Style.png
573KB, 558x873px
>>148469052
Bass.exe. Well, his manga and game version, at least.
>>
>>148477925
Whenever I think of edgy people, I remember that one guy I knew once.
When he found out I was into anime one of the first things he asked me was, if I'd seen the uncensored ending of Tokyo Ghoul (I think it just got released around that time) and insisted on showing me how cool all the gore and violence is. What makes these people think, that anyone cares in any way, I don't get it?
>>
Edgy being used in the internet is a bullshit term and has no meaning whatsoever. Whoever is replying in a long post like some of the dumbasses or saying (taking things too seriously or does not take things seriously) are stating bullshit. And whoever uses the fucking excuse of,
> It's culture!
to justify using the term incorrectly are bullshitting. Culture and language do NOT WORK THAT WAY. Language evolves through linguistic morphing not through people misunderstanding words and using them incorrectly. And those of you stating a bunch of examples or "good" examples, you're treading on a line of bullshit.
>>
>>148478092
>When people are claiming some "edgy" show as a masterpiece over and over again
When does this happen? Maybe you're right but from my perspective people who complain about edgy things are from more vocal.
>>
File: 1469399437374.png (66KB, 185x304px) Image search: [Google]
1469399437374.png
66KB, 185x304px
>>148469052
Did somebody say "goblins"?
>>
>>148476166
> Torture porn
> Re:Zero
Let's see the loser's death count:
> Gutted by Elsa (Eh)
> Gutted by Elsa again (a little more effort but still sub-standard)
> Knifed by bandit (...)
> Sleep-death (Fuck you, where's the blood? Not even throwing up until death)
> Death in the hall (Now that's more fucking like it!)
> Throat cut (eh, yeah)
> Cliff (Talk about a cliffhanger, not even fucking shown the mess, what the fuck?)
> Death by Puck (Not even brutal, come on.)
> Death by Puck (Like a popsicle, not impressed)
> Death by Puck (LET IT GO, LET IT GO, I WANTED BLOOD, STILL NOT FUCKING IMPRESSED)
> Killed by Ferris and Julius (Not even fucking shown that much)
Subaru died about eleven times so far. I'm not even impressed by the torture porn, what the fuck? If I wanted torture porn, I would have gone for Tokyo Ghoul episode 11-12. Fuck this. What kind of bullshit are you making?
>>
>>148478375
Game and anime Bass are definitely edgelords. Manga Bass started out as one, but developed into a more standard rival character after his third fight with Megaman.

The Battle Network manga was so damn hype, I don't think any manga I've read since have even come close to eclipsing it.
>>
>>148478512
>Culture and language do NOT WORK THAT WAY. Language evolves through linguistic morphing not through people misunderstanding words and using them incorrectly.
>unironically being a prescriptivist on the internet
You're literally surrounded by word usage that shits on your point of view decisively. How can you still be blind to it?
>>
File: manslut14.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
manslut14.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
>>148464444
psht... as if someone like (you) will be able to understand the true meaning of edginess...
>>
>>148467036
This is good edge because the plot requires it. Bad edge is when you're doing this for no reason.
>>
File: 50926960_p0.jpg (324KB, 1240x1753px)
50926960_p0.jpg
324KB, 1240x1753px
>>148479065
Bass is edge incarnate in the manga too, the question is whether or not he has a reason to be, which the answer to that is yes considering the shit he had to go through.
Anime is terrible and it murdered his character probably due to him being too dark considering the audience they wanted.
>>
>>148479088
> word usage
You mean the misuse of an actual word that some random schmuck decided to put his own incorrect context in the urban dictionary? And the rest is a bunch of people plagiarizing an artificial definition on the damn internet? You call linguistic morphing? My ass.
>>
>>148478280

This guy gets it.
>>
File: 1382150549505.gif (2MB, 176x144px)
1382150549505.gif
2MB, 176x144px
>>148464444
>What qualifies as edgy? What makes a show edgy?
Something that intentionally pushes the boundaries of what's acceptable.
>>
>>148479485
I don't call that linguistic morphing, that was the guy I quoted. It's called semantic drift.
>>
>>148464444
Trying to be mature and ending up being immature
>>
File: 1475793318077.png (56KB, 300x263px) Image search: [Google]
1475793318077.png
56KB, 300x263px
>>148477480
Best explanation so far
>>
Edgy outside 4chan: Dark themes

Edgy on 4chan: Dark themes I don't like
>>
>>148477480
I would argue that taking itself too seriously is part of being edgy. The first half of Kill la Kill had elements that could be considered edgy, but it's played for comedy, and shouldn't be classed as edgy.
>>
>>148480301
edge is not shitposts
>>
>>148479787
> Semantic drift
> Meanings change
The meaning of the word did not change, it's usage is fake and misused. Stop bullshitting.
>>
this >>148466661

But now popularly used as yet another word to mean "something I don't like."
>>
File: 1476212743760.png (431KB, 611x607px) Image search: [Google]
1476212743760.png
431KB, 611x607px
>>148467074
>he thinks Kabaneri takes itself seriously
>>
>>148480301

To better specify, it does not necessarily have to be dark.

Edgy outside 4chan: Anything that pushes the boundaries or could be perceived as offensive to the general public.

Edgy on 4chan: Anything that pushes the boundaries or could be perceived as offensive to the general public that I don't like.

Edgy for some reason has adopted an eternal negative connotation here meant to describe anything that is both edgy AND badly written.
>>
>>148475798
Anon you're a retard if you watched bokurano. It's shit compared to the manga
>>
Shallow shows that use darker or more intense themes as a handicap to be interesting.
That chinese cartoon about vampires is a good example, shit writing, but guns, blood and violence are there to make it seem interesting.
Or something a 13 loser would love because it's esoteric.
>>
>>148480426
Meanings don't change, simultaneous meanings get added. Usage changes, and if it changes significantly enough, the old meaning is forgotten in the most extreme cases.
>>
>>148480936
What the fuck are you saying? Your sentences are so incomplete to where I can barely understand the context.
>>
>>148477480
Your definition of "edgy" sounds entertainingly bad, while your definition of "mature" sounds boring.
>>
>>148481002
First sentence says a show that uses intense or dark themes to compensate for the lack of quality in writing would be edgy.
2nd: Some chink show about vampires is bad
3rd. Shows 13 year old loser would enjoy has a high chance to be edgy.
You ESL? Or can't get the multi-lines imply different thoughts styling?
>>
>>148480989
Don't you bullshit with me. Meanings do not change if they are misunderstood and misused. IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. It does not automatically mean the definition should be added. Misunderstanding and misusing by putting artificial slang and incorrect message is not change, it is trying to bullshit your way to make a fake meaning. It is stupid, it is retarded. End of story and discussion.
>>
>>148481231
You said 13 loser. Who's the ESL now?
>>
>>148481363
I'd assume only an ESL wouldn't be able to fill in the blank
>>
>>148481571
I'd assume an ESL never bothered to complete his sentences and rather have others do it for him. Why should I apologize for your laziness?
>>
>>148481272
It does work that way though.
You can kick and scream and call it stupid as much as you want, it's not going to change anything. There is no such thing as "fake meaning" because all "meaning" is contrived by us. And definitions of words are measures of how those words are used every day. If enough people misuse a word for enough time, that misuse becomes proper use. The most recent and most popular example is the word "literally" which now holds simultaneous and contradictory definitions.
>>
>>148482118
This is not proper fucking use. It is using a definition from an urban dictionary that people believe to be culture when in reality, it is not. It is not used correctly no matter how time passes because it has been misused. You are essentially to create a bullshit of a logic to justify a misused word in context. If people started saying:
> 2+2=3
> The color red is black
> The meaning of a computer is now a couch.
and then people started calling those kinds of notions correct? That is stupid notion that is abused. It will never be correct. Misuse does not turn into correct use. That is why we call something misused so it can be done and used correctly. You are encouraging the act of misuse to sound correct when YOU ARE FUCKING NOT.
>>
File: B8kun.jpg (48KB, 627x626px) Image search: [Google]
B8kun.jpg
48KB, 627x626px
>>148482118
This is a fucking terrible message, allowing misuse and misunderstanding so it will eventually be correct? No no no, it does not work that way.
>>
>>148482523
Math isn't language, don't compare it.
The other two could actually happen, although it's not as if people make concerted efforts to change words. It just happens.
>urban dictionary
No, real dictionaries. I'm not talking about slang, I'm talking about words gaining additional meanings through years and years of changed usage.
If I show you the word "girl" what do you think of? A female? Guess what, that's a word that was changed through misuse. It originally meant "child" and wasn't gendered whatsoever.

>>148482628
You don't have to allow it, but when the misuse becomes widespread enough, you do have to accept it.
>>
>>148482687
> It just happens
It does not work that way. You don't encourage the act of misuse and misunderstanding just so you can use because it feels correct. Accept, my ass. That is logic that is bullshit and how people use edgy in the wrong context is even more bullshit. You don't use it like that if it is not correct. What is incorrect is considered incorrect no matter how much opinion is taken in. Incorrect does not mean correct. Stop this logic, it is terrible and a complete waste of brain cells so you can excuse the act of misuse and abuse just to sound correct. That is vanity.
>>
>>148482873
It's funny that you think I'm the one wasting brain cells. You're the one devoting energy into fighting a natural phenomenon of language. It can't be stopped.
>>
File: The guy.jpg (23KB, 630x341px) Image search: [Google]
The guy.jpg
23KB, 630x341px
>>148477480
Meh, most of this is subjective.

I'd rather make the distinction that any event in a story can be there either to serve the development of a character, or to titillate the viewer. The former is legit. The latter is edgy.

We CAN make judgements about how well the author did one or the other, because character development only actually works if either the character can learn something and be a better person, or if the viewer can learn something by sympathizing with the failures of the character. For example, consider Eren's first sortie in Attack on Titan. All his friends die and he gets his arm out. This kid used to glorify war, right? So it almost seems like he's learning something about the reality of war. No such luck though. All he learns is how his powers work, and also that he should kill all the titans, which is something he already "knew." So, perhaps the author wanted this moment in the story to be serious, but it came off as pretty edgy.

When the audience pays the price of lots of people dying horribly, they expect to get something of value in return. Otherwise you're just throwing your "money" (your time) in the toilet.
>>
>>148483026
Yeah right, encourage the misuse of an actual word on the fucking internet as a "culture". When in reality, "internet culture" is not a culture, it is someone that decided to pretend that it is a human intellectual achievement that really did not make much effort and was misused. You call that linguistic morphing as a language and culture? The "internet culture" that decides to create an artificial meaning and misuse of a word is not an intellectual achievement, it is just another abusive strategy that you are defending to defend the idea that wrong will equal right.
>>
>>148483383
I never said anything about cultures, I'm talking about something exclusive to language. In language there technically isn't a wrong and right, there's only ways words are used. The dictionary tries to capture those ways, which are constantly changing, and which is why they constantly need to come out with new editions of the dictionary. How do you suppose language evolves if not through changed usage?
>>
>>148483383
Not that anon but you're an idiot. The language you speak today did not exist in a recognizable form a thousand years ago. For real, it was totally incomprehensible. Go try to read Beowulf.

Anyway, the enormous changes between then and now happened in tiny incremental steps that accumulated over a few dozen generations. Seemingly negligible differences in pronunciation here and there, old grammar falling out of use, new sentence constructions appearing more or less spontaneously. It wasn't a process that started and finished. It's an ongoing thing. Just a few years ago, nobody would have said "what even is that thing?" but now it's suffused throughout the English-speaking world.

You've taken a snapshot of the world you know and made it your duty to defend it from change, but change is a thing nobody can defend against. Do you understand why that's immature?
>>
>>148483654
Good job writing the most pretentious post I've ever seen on /a/.

Fuck off.
>>
>>148483129
meh tl;dr
AoT is basically mc grows because this character got killed, then he grows more because new character introduced got killed, and new character killd, blood and blah. Just edgy not mature
Mature would be like Requiem for the Phantom chapters 1&2 where adult Cal doesn't exist
>>
>>148483644
The urban dictionary is not even used in the correct context, it's just fucking used as anybody on the internet can write their own fake definition and slang of a word that should not be tampered with.
>>148483654
Stop your redundant excuse of a fucking post.
>>
>>148484129
Once again, not talking about urban dictionary, stop bringing it up.
>>
>>148484236
I can bring it up as much as I fucking can because that's where this whole bullshit of a thread and misuse of the very word in this thread became born.
>>
>>148483654
fuck you
>>
>>148483654
>Do you understand why that's immature?
If anything that's more a sign of maturity. How many old people pine for days long passed? Maturity isn't an objectively good feature, despite how much the western world glorifies it.
>>
>>148483654
Wrong, it's called being a conservative you piece of shit
>>
>>148484480
No, the definition that this thread is asking about was born by people using the word ironically. Same as how people use "QUALITY" to actually mean low quality (that one will probably never spread to the rest of the internet though, so you can rest assured). Urban Dictionary has nothing at all to do with it.
>>
>>148485122
Stop your bullshitting. Why the fuck are you calling something opposite or ironic now? This is bullshit that you're trying to pull out to excuse the word "edgy" at this fucking point. I'll give you a real context of edgy used ironically:
> A man has the power to become the sharpest thing on earth. He also rapes, kills, and torture many people for fun. One guy says this, "why are you the embodiment of edge?"
That's fucking ironic. Is he using the wrong term of edge? No, he is using the correct term of edge in the right context. That is ironic. Stop your excuses.
>>
>>148467074
>Hellsing isn't edgy

There is nothing that comes to mind more. Just because you like it doesn't mean it isn't edgy
>>
>>148464444
You know that kind of stuff you used to like in high school? That.
>>
>>148488146
>So stanley Kubrick, old European cinema, modern talking, the doors and theater are edgy?
The more you know.
>>
>>148488755
>Stanley Kubrick
Actually, yeah. All of his movies (possibly excluding 2001) are edgy as fuck.
Remember, edgy =/= bad.
>>
>>148488882
Nah, people died in 2001, so it is edgy.
>>
>>148488090
It's ironically edgy. You can not take it seriously and it does not take itself seriously. Therefore, all the edge there is just for fun instead of trying to make it look deep and mature.
>>
>>148478126
AGK feels like some warped parody of a guy writing a generic battle shonen and taking the Pell death copout complaints too seriously.
>>
>>148467074
>gantz, SnK and re;zero
>no berserk
>>
>>148489527
That's even worse and just comes off as childish, the edge has no weight at all.
>>
File: titan 9-3.jpg (170KB, 1920x1080px)
titan 9-3.jpg
170KB, 1920x1080px
>>148464444
>What qualifies as edgy? What makes a show edgy? What shows are edgy?
Thread posts: 164
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.