[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Souma a Gary Stu/Mary sue?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: 1435807766437.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1435807766437.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
Is Souma a Gary Stu/Mary sue?
>>
>>148216565
No, he actually loses.
>>
>>148216565
yes
>>
>>148216621
yeah, but like only to his dad who he's supposed to auto-lose to.
>>
>>148216565
No, but being the MC he obviously can't lose something he'd get kicked out for.
>>
>>148219002
You're not caught up then.
>>
>>148219002
So you've basically only read the first couple chapters?
>>
File: 1427891097459.jpg (549KB, 1459x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1427891097459.jpg
549KB, 1459x1200px
No, Souma just likes to cook and never stops trying to master all recipes. He is HARD WORK.
>>
>>148216621
He never loses when it matters.
>>
>>148223261
You can say that about plenty of shonen heroes.
>>
>>148225361
You can also say what OP said about plenty of shonen heroes then.

I'm not saying Souma is a Mary Sue but he's definitely predictable as hell. At least in terms of whether he'll win or not. The second the word expulsion shows up he'll definitely be left off the hook or win.
>>
>>148216565
He actually loses fights, though, so it's arguable. Either way he's the good type. He's pretty much completely virtuous and morally sound, so it makes sense for him to win and do well. The worst kind of gary is the faggot who wins.
>>
>>148225468
Are you actually caught up, though? The shokugeki with hayama didn't have an obvious outcome at all. It could have very feasibly gone either way.
>>
only relatable self insert I've ever had
>>
>>148225471
shitty shounen MCs always need to lose at least 1 fight so they dont look too perfect
>>
>>148225524
Fair enough I haven't read the newest chapter.
Though if he doesn't win I guarantee he's being let off the hook. Plot armor is definitely stronger for shonen MC's.
>>
Souma will marry the girl that always tries to be in a boxing stance.
>>
Has he lost since the curry guy? Stopped reading during the 3-day school fair thing.
>>
>>148216565
He's actually a hentai protagonist. Who somehow got into a cooking manga.
>>
File: 1463919153361.png (8KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
1463919153361.png
8KB, 493x402px
Anyone else feel like the show dropped in quality when soma STOPPED being a Gary stu
>>
>>148216565
No because hes an idiot. The show has blatantly said that he doesn't have any natural talent for cooking, all he can do is try really hard.
>>
>>148225925
He "loses" against the Elite 1st seat in a Shougeki where Souma would've became his underling. But his opponent ends up approving of his cooking abilities, so he still gets away scout free without any consequences.

Souma still takes it bad. One of his flaws is the fact that he's a sore loser, but it comes full circle since it makes him work harder.
>>
>>148216565
No, he's more like a Naruto than a Kirito.
>>
>>148216565
I dropped the anime because of him. Yeah he's a Gary Stu because people like him despite him being an oblivious little shit. Everyone in his dorm idolizes him. Once that meat girl got a crush on him after being defeated and that blond boy made him his rival it got too haremshit for me it made me sick. I bet that rich girl also eventually joins the dick stroking squad.

Absolute Gary Stu trash down to having zero personality besides being an airhead who is suddenly serious when cooking and makes everyone orgasm because he's just the best chef in the world.
>>
>>148225471
It's less about if he loses sometimes or not and more his utter lack of personality. Even if he loses he's never humiliated and everyone around him still thinks he's hot shit and sucks his flaccid dick regardless. He's pure self-insert material.
>>
>>148216565
The only thing I hate about him is that he's the type of MC who is so focused on being the best at what he does he doesn't have any romantic or sexual drive like a normal teenage boy.
He never shows any interest in anyone.
Admittedly I'm not caught up on the manga. But I don't feel like that'll ever change. Status quo and all.
>>148227709
Also what this guy said.
>>
Name me one Shonen protagonist who isn't a Gary Stu. A protagonist who isn't related to some famous, important person, who doesn't have super rare skills or powers, who doesn't have a bunch of people who like him because he's a "nice guy" or who doesn't have a harem of girls falling all over him.

Name one.

I'll wait.
>>
>>148227709
That's called winning though sheer determination and hardwork anon. He uses creativity rather than skill. That's why people think he''s hot shit.
>>
>>148227854
I don't even have to because having one of those things doesn't automatically make you a Gary Stu.
>>
>ryou win/loses
>eh, still ryou

>souma win/loses
>fukken stu/wah wah they should spend a volume shitting on him
>>
I usually hate shounen protagonists, but I actually like Souma because he doesn't really have any special abilties. All of his cooking skills were based on him experimenting, learning from his friends and rivals, and just constantly grinding.
>>
>>148227628

Soma's actually observant as fuck and pretty sharp, you're way off base there chief.
>>
>>148228173

I've never particularly hated any but I think Soma's a pretty good protagonist and he works pretty well for what Shokugeki is. He wins from actually having to be legitimately creative and he's popular by virtue of actually being a guy that would be pretty fun to hang out with. He doesn't lose often but he does lose and he legitimately makes mistakes. My only complaint really is I'd like to see one of his character flaws mess him up at some point.
>>
>>148226987
FWIW Eishi basically called him inflexible and told him to fuck off, Souma got lucky but him being let off was definitely not a compliment.
>>
>>148216565
Yes. What are you expecting from generic shonenshit?
>>
>>148216565
A little bit, but as with something like One Outs for example, the tension is derived from seeing how he does things rather than just whether or not he succeeds. As long as the cooking itself can stay interesting, it's not a big flaw if he's a bit too good at it.
>>
We can all agree that she's the best girl right?
>>
Every what day do we get a new chapter for Shokugeki?
>>
>>148216565
I don't know but I wanna fuck him.
>>
>>148216565
A better question is will Erina win the Somabowl
>>
File: FIGURE-022398.jpg (89KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
FIGURE-022398.jpg
89KB, 600x600px
>>148231925
No contest.
>>
>>148232063
Childhood friend from his hometown would win the somabowl, tough luck buddy. Safely sure of this.
>>
>>148227854
Jolyne
>>
>implying the protag isn't Akira
>>
>>148232169
>A protagonist who isn't related to some famous, important person
Congratulations, you fell into his trap and answered a question you should've ignored.
>>
>>148216565
yes. even though he can lose, he learns new abilities that people took years to master literally overnight. he's incredibly OP. he's the Goku of cooking shonen.
>>
>>148223261
You can say that about every nekketsu protagonist
>>
>>148216565
>Mary sue
Last time I checked he was still a boy.
>>
>>148232155
What's her name again
>>
>>148225524
>The shokugeki with hayama didn't have an obvious outcome at all.

>he lost to him before and you actually thought he was gonna lose twice
>>
>>148216565
Nah, he's pretty decent for a shonen protag. My biggest beef with the anime adaptation is its failure to adjust the stakes to work with an anime - the shokugeki against Mimasaka for example was completely flaccid since it had a story-ending failure state in a mid-season event.
>>
>lost 500 something times against one of the world's greatest chefs
>learned to accept failure and use it to his advantage
>still gets incredibly upset when he loses, even when he has no chance in hell of winning, yet keeps a smile on throughout
He's a character who works harder than anyone else and still has his flaws. Definitely not a Mary Sue, even if he can asspull amazing dishes and doesn't really get punished when he screws up. Most importantly, he's a fun character that livens up any situation, and so even if he were I wouldn't care.
>>
>>148232889
>fun
you spelled obnoxious wrong
>>
>>148216565
I think he's more of a cliché than a Gary Stu.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.