[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think about Shamo? I thought the first and second

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

What do you guys think about Shamo? I thought the first and second arcs were amazing... the prison arc actually inspired me to get in shape regardless of how corny that sounds.

I personally feel as though it skewed from the more mature elements presented in the beginning such as the implications resulting from the institutionalization of punishment/discipline to a typical battle shounen.
>>
I read up till the end of magical chinks arc and never touched it again.
>>
I feel the exact same. The prison arc and criminal arc had great social themes, while being a compelling and unique realistic manga. And then suddenly, chi appears? I felt everything fall through and I dropped it like crazy.
>>
Why did magic chinks even happen? It felt extremely forced.
>>
>>147698640
Wasn't there a writer switch or some bullshit?
>>
>>147698921
I have quite literally no clue. The moment I saw the word "chi" in the manga, I stopped reading and haven't looked up anything about it since.
>>
From what I remember it switched magazines and the new editor demanded it lighten up a bit and become a bit more shonen. The author always sort of loved kung fu so I thought he pulled it off as well as he could, it's not THAT bad of an arc. It does clash with the overall themes though because Shamo is a deconstruction of the martial arts genre, and then it suddenly becomes a kung fu manga. I always saw the first part as sort of an inversion of the standard martial arts movie stuff. It explores the darker sides of the mentor relationship, where a mentally ill young man meets an older role model who proceeds to fuck him up even worse.

Anyways it's my favourite series and it deserved better than the cancellation in the middle of a filler arc, but whatever.
>>
>>147698221
It's great until the beginning or end of the china arc.
Then it's shit.
>>
>>147699712
When the warden is talking to Kurokawa and mentions that his assassination attempt was inspired by a writer who believed that Japan was losing its national identity and becoming a replica of America, was he referring to Yukio Mishima?

Been meaning to ask someone.
>>
The last arc with the brothers or something was fucking crazy.
>>
Alike a lot of people, I liked the pre-China arc and hated the China one, but unlike a lot of people I actually enjoyed the Ballet-Jesus storyline.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.