[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck did the author just randomly stop writing Banner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 43

File: cutest autist.png (574KB, 643x480px) Image search: [Google]
cutest autist.png
574KB, 643x480px
Why the fuck did the author just randomly stop writing Banner of the Stars?
>>
>>147036032
He wrote a new novel not too long ago.
>>
>>147036275
He also put out some short story collections in the inbetween on these new volumes. Also Crest/Banner thread?
>>
Is this the story where the space elve gets what she deserves?
>>
>>147036032
is that an ayy lmao?
>>
>>147036562
Human, mostly.

>>147036275
Oh nice.
>>
File: an_cots.jpg (71KB, 700x480px) Image search: [Google]
an_cots.jpg
71KB, 700x480px
>>
>>147036032
The premise behind this story depressed me so much.

MC will never get the girl, and even if he does he'll die of old age when she's just entering adulthood.
>>
>>147037255

He's too much of a bitch to just do it and be happy because he keeps telling himself, "muh lifespan".
>>
http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=178073

You can do it Lafiel!
>>
File: 1458195014023.gif (1MB, 540x457px) Image search: [Google]
1458195014023.gif
1MB, 540x457px
>>147036275
Will we get another anime adaptation? I know it's unlikely, but still...

>>147037255
>>147037583
> MC will never get the girl

They basically confess their love to one another at the end of Crests (though Jinto distances himself from her because muh lifespan), their relationship develops in Banners I and II, and by Banners III, they're very, very clearly dating, or at least the Ahb equivalent.

But yeah, the fact that Lafiel will live twice as long as the protagonist while being eternally a flawless 20-year-old is a fucking depressing thought.
>>
I was disappointed to learn that Lafiel did not in fact have such pale skin.
>>
File: 01_Image1.jpg (365KB, 1082x1522px) Image search: [Google]
01_Image1.jpg
365KB, 1082x1522px
>>147037724

I doubt we'll get another adaptation, we should just be happy that it ended off with them having their budding relationship in Banner III OVA. It was cute.
>>
>>
>>147037724
Banner III was fucking great.
>>
>>147038388

Lafiel a cute
>>
>>
File: best grill.png (793KB, 946x534px) Image search: [Google]
best grill.png
793KB, 946x534px
I couldn't tell if Lafiel was jealous, or if she just wanted in on the plans for her husbando's Royal Harem.

Probably the latter.

>>147038388
>>147038057
I really really wanted just like, one episode in Banners, maybe even just 20 minutes in Banners III with Lafiel and Jinto going on a d-d-deito on his homeplanet or something.

Seriously, there were like a gajillion episodes in concession of gigantic ass battles in Banners, I totally felt like they needed more down time.
>>
>you will never impregnate Lafiel
>>
File: 00.jpg (287KB, 1075x1546px) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
287KB, 1075x1546px
>>147038776

I feel you, just keep her in your heart anon, that's all we can really do.
>>
File: 1428734202749.gif (768KB, 500x252px) Image search: [Google]
1428734202749.gif
768KB, 500x252px
>>147038984
> just keep her in your heart anon

But you don't understand, I just finished the series and I'm sitting here sobbing that I'll never get to see the ending, or any sort of capstone to their relationship.

Their relationship was so sweet, but developed substantially, the animation was solid, there wasn't any filler, the writing was good, and there were no characters that made you feel like yelling at the screen for them to stop being massive idiots.

Seriously, I'll take a 10 minute SoL spinoff. I just want more damnit.

What the heck am I supposed to do with myself? I'm a total wreck.
>>
File: BOTS battles.jpg (32KB, 485x331px) Image search: [Google]
BOTS battles.jpg
32KB, 485x331px
>>147039247
Learn Japanese and start reading the novels.

That's the only choice you have, really.
>>
File: File0005.jpg (622KB, 1060x1509px) Image search: [Google]
File0005.jpg
622KB, 1060x1509px
>>147039247

I felt the same way when I finished watching it too, but there are only a few us that still care about our space elves.
>>
>>147039480
I 100% guarantee that if crest/banner were to be made today /a/ would shit all over it and ruin everything.

I guarantee it.

So, it's a good thing no one remembers it.
>>
File: File0002.jpg (703KB, 1060x1509px) Image search: [Google]
File0002.jpg
703KB, 1060x1509px
>>147039581

I remember seeing a screen cap of people joking about the amount of time that people said mines in Banner

Because the majority of Banner was just space combat and 95% of the time it was dialogue about their mines or enemy mines
>>
>>147036032
Fuck Space Nazi Elves.

RACE WAR NOW!
>>
>>147039761
Its been a while since I've watched this, but isn't that what's happening in the various series?
>>
File: Seikai Uniforms.jpg (1MB, 2560x3565px) Image search: [Google]
Seikai Uniforms.jpg
1MB, 2560x3565px
>>147039581
I remember an /a/non once calling the show "space elf C-SPAN." An apt comparison, I thought.
But in all seriousness, I think its clear that there are enough people with patrician taste, even on /a/, to appreciate it.
>>
File: 1455895246242.png (28KB, 310x368px) Image search: [Google]
1455895246242.png
28KB, 310x368px
>>147039581
> it's a good thing no one remembers it.

Pretty much. Why is it such a niche series that generates so little discussion? Like, I'm fairly sure in the decade I've browsed this site I've only seen like, two Banners threads other than this one, and that includes when III was released.

After watching it, the only complaint I had is that the battles (necessarily) went on a bit too long, and I feel that it was part of the reason why the author stopped working on it. I feel like he wanted the battles to feel realistic, while making it seem like far more than ships shooting at each other with no thought by showcasing the Ahb commanders. However, as a result, every fight HAD to drag since what everyone is doing has to constantly be explored. At the same time, I think he rightfully felt that if he didn't do that, it wouldn't feel like an authentic space opera, so, despite not wanting to write more battles, he basically had to.

I feel like that's why he went with the prison planet plot with relatively little fighting, and had Lafiel go on a subsequent leave of absence - he was sick of all the combat and wanted to let the characters actually be themselves outside of a military setting. I'm guessing he just didn't know where to take the story after that, or how to have Lafiel ascend to queenhood without writing more autistically detailed ship battles, or to have Lafiel and Jinto have more direct planetary interactions/adventures like in Crests of the Stars, without making the characters act outright retarded for letting two members of royalty wander off on their lonesome. He also sort of wrote himself into a corner where the Ahb basically were wrecking shit with little remaining opposition.

That's my feeling anyway. He started writing again, but the last novel was three years ago...
>>
File: ILLUSTRATIONS7_015.jpg (253KB, 1050x1517px) Image search: [Google]
ILLUSTRATIONS7_015.jpg
253KB, 1050x1517px
>>147039875

Human federation vs Abh

Abh just want to conquer/unite the galaxy under their rule, but don't give a shit about the internal affairs on planets, they can run their governments how ever they want as long as they accept that they are under abh rule.

Human federation is bonkers and they fuck up things more than they can fix them, also extremists? from what I remember.

Downside for Abh is that abh won't let you have your own spaceships and you can only rent/borrow ships from abh government with their permission.

You can do whatever you want on your planet but abh control space and don't want people fucking about in it. Thereby preventing space piracy, terrorism, and possibility of rebellion since no spacehips = abh can destroy you from orbit if you rebel.
>>
>>147039427
Doesn't really matter. At the rate he's writing Morioka is going to die before he finishes anyway.
>>
File: 1460043018511.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1460043018511.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
Reminder that all space elves should go to the gas chambers.

> Conquer planets without taking into account their feelings or situations in the slightest.
> Control them by limiting access to spaceflight and trade.
> Wonder why the based Mankind United front has such a following.
>>
>>147041386
Why? Because they want to unite the universe under one banner and accomplish galactic peace through absolute control?

If you ask me Mankind United is really short-sighted in their views. Even if they manage to push the Abh out and establish their own territories they'd have to do the same thing if they want to establish order.
>>
>>147040395
The Abh are just elves IN SPACE, right down to them being the designated good guys despite all the sketchy and totally understandable reasons to rally against them.

IIRC the Human Federation's problem was too much infighting to muster together something that's more than a pain in the ass to the Abh Empire because of course that happens.

I was against them the moment they told the main character's planet that they either fold into the Empire or get their space-gate destroyed. At least, I think that's their policy and the bomb-you-from-orbit thing is when there's an active rebellion after being induced into their bullshit.
>>
File: 1453917244365.gif (439KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
1453917244365.gif
439KB, 500x393px
>>147041586
To be fair, the Abh are a race of total autists and can't understand why using absoute force might possibly be a bad thing.

I mean, Lafiel in Banners II was 100% serious about bombing the prison planet to smithereens until Jinto scolded her for it.
>>
>>
Fucking race traitor MC, this series makes me rage hard. Fuck those tyrannical space elves and their lapdog humans.
>>
I started Banner but haven't seen in a while. Often thinking about continuing but don't end up doing it. I really liked Crest.

Also
>lafiel
>jinto
triggering to be honest. The first season made me used to the REAL names, and not these fake localized names. Their names are supposed to be LAMHIRH and GHINTEC
>>
>>147041804
It hardly matters.

There's no real struggle in any of this shit: the Abh are always going to win. It's a rather boring story and unless you're here to watch the main try to get Lafiel, it's got no real draw IMO.

It's another one of those series where I think waifus (in this case, Space Elf Waifus) are the only reason it's liked much at all.
>>
>>147038057
>>147038388

>they semi-retire, grow their rose planet, make like 10 kids, Jinto dies happy watching over his grandchildren, Lafiel ascends to the throne and is motivated by her peaceful marriage to end the war at a stalemate

my headcanon feels nice

>>147041804

to be fair, talk shit get hit - and the human nations just keep talking shit and trying to start shit to dump their societal and economic problems onto the Abh

>>147041936

the Abh are going to win the long game because the series tries to be realistic about space warfare when the setting allows it - and if space warfare ever becomes a reality, it will be brutally dark, cold, unmerciful, and pure arithmetic

partly the reason why I still like the STRAIN mecha ova, even though most people generally dismiss it as >muh ded lolis
>>
>>147041933
You should, but also mines.
>>
>>147042043
>the Abh are going to win the long game
No, they were going to win because as far as the writer's concerned, they're the good guys. Any and all underhanded, cold-blooded actions are handwaved.

Honestly, that's probably why I don't give a shit about the series: in any other setting they'd be the villains out right or a third/fourth faction the rest utterly detest having to deal with.

I just don't find it fun to follow them, but the story exists because of them, and of course will favor them.
>>
>>147042151

>muh heroes
>muh villains

Its pure politics. Abh annex systems wholesale because they need to enforce territorial sovereignty as a strategic necessity of the state. The human factions invade the Abh to generate a war economy and create internal unity while eliminating factional dissent. The only plain evil is rampant racism and bigotry; and those are simply byproducts of war and nationalism in this setting.

No, the Abh are going to win because all they have to do is turtle on their space lanes and spam automated mines while the humans try to bumrush everything like its a goddamn video game.
>>
>>147042386
Why bother with the conflict if the victor's already decided anyways?

Why not just have this take place after any and all hopes of rebellion were stripped away so it can focus on the stronger part: interspecies romance?

It's all Abh wankery either way, might be easier to ignore their bullshit when they're not at wartime.

When they do shit like regulate who even gets a spaceship, I don't expect MU to really mount an effective resistance without it.

Point is, the writer expects me to sympathize with and root for the Abh and I never would. You present a story like this and I root for the underdog, which is most certainly humanity. Hell I doubt anyone in MU really gets characterized. Story just ain't for me, it's for the people who can, even if it's as simple as wanting Abh pussy.
>>
>>147042151
Just because the story praises them doesn't mean you need to. I was watching and enjoying it obviously seeing some of the shit they were doing was douchey. I don't need the show to tell me what's right and wrong. Just observe the show and don't be a fucking sheeple.
>>
>>147042712

The very first thing the Abh did in the series was absolutely douchey. You can't just warp into a system and say "it looks like you don't have the means to defend yourselves, so that means you're our bitches now." Its indefensible on grounds of morality alone. Nevermind how much bullshit Jinto had to put up with constantly.
>>
>>147037255

>he'll die of old age when she's just entering adulthood.

Where's the downside?
>>
>>147042889
He doesn't live twice as long and gets to enjoy that teen pussy even longer?
>>
Why moidern LN is so shit?
>iskeai, battleharem, isekai
Where is space opera?
>>
>>147042889
Death and not really having a heir.
>>
>>147042889

The downside is she'll most likely remain a widow. Or maybe she'll marry her cat because she finds it funny.
>>
File: 1460862148200.png (575KB, 626x733px) Image search: [Google]
1460862148200.png
575KB, 626x733px
>>147042386
> all they have to do is turtle on their space lanes and spam automated mines

Except the humans were the ones who started using this strategy first by building far more patrol ships instead of some of their somewhat useless, but necessary, assault ships.

Remember like, two episodes of Banners II dedicated to shooting down ten gajillion mines with the commander talking about how useless the assault ships are as anything but a cushion for the rest of their forces, and how they'd vastly prefer a patrol ship heavy composition?

Also, in case you didn't read the newest novel, the Abh capital was wiped the fuck out by a surprise attack, so not even.

>>147042581
I doubt the Abh will win, and I highly doubt that humanity will either, given the main romance.

It's not even Abh wankery. Yes, you see shit from the Abh perspective, but they highlight that they're a fundamentally flawed race, in perspective, position, sociality, lack of empathy, and in a multitude of other senses, all shown through especially Laffiel, and the other characters.

Heck, Jinto keeps saying that he doesn't even know what side he's on, but he just wants to be with his autistic waifu Lafiel and will do anything to that end. The anime doesn't take sides in telling the viewer who is just or correct, it just shows the events from one particular side while offering solid rationale for the war.
>>
>>147038653
frogposter detected
>>
>>147042712
Anon, when I'm not having fun with a game I just choose to go play another, especially when the core gameplay irks me enough to turn me off the rest of the game entirely.

When there's tons more anime to watch, there's no reason to sit through a decently put together show that follows a cast you utterly hate. I could find a show with a cast I like but a really shitty setting and poor overall writing and make fun of that. I could find a genuinely good show with likable protagonists. Crest/Banner of the Stars is going to be the same thing it always was if it does get any more installments, which is fine on its own, just not a show I'd waste my time on. I got enough off of what I can barely remember from Crest of the Stars airing on TechTV.

Why should I have to sit through a show I know I won't enjoy? I already went down that route before; all it resulted in is honestly wishing death on its fanbase.

Even if you're going to argue that you're building your anime pedigree so you can spout some bullshit about how you're an 500+ anime connoisseur that only proves your willingness to watch something because it's anime, and nothing more.
>>
>>147036032

Didn't he die?
>>
File: 1455926938082.jpg (133KB, 1099x1195px) Image search: [Google]
1455926938082.jpg
133KB, 1099x1195px
>>147042889
You're forgetting that Abh stay eternally 20, they just sleep longer and longer as they age until they finally sleep eternally and die.

Jinto will be enjoying that sweet sweet flawless pussy when he's in his 60s. Just like my chinese doujinshi.

Also:
> Implying the Abh can't fuck with your genes while you're still alive so that you can live substantially longer.

I'm guessing it just doesn't happen because basically no one ever ascends to fucking royalty as a mere human pleb. Jinto is a weird exception.

I mean, if Immortal-kun from Crests was a product of human genetic experimentation, it really isn't a stretch to say that the Abh can give the Jinto the same treatment if he marries Lafiel and live until he's 150 or something, so she doesn't have to stay a widow for as long.
>>
>>147042960

The real issues of the Abh are that they are at an industrial disadvantage, their military hierarchy is rigid to an unhealthy degree, and they are generally too complacent and arrogant. Abh officers too realized the flaws of their military strategems, but the establishment did not act on those truths until after the fact. In comparison, the human factions are constantly evolving.

The loss of the Abh capital is a huge blow to morale - but in terms of space warfare, the effects of taking out a capital planet largely depends on the empire's dependency to it. The Abh were originally a space faring people after all, so the Abh Empire would adapt well to moving to a capital fleet instead of being based out of any central point in space. This assumes that the Abh maintain their characteristic absolute loyalty and patriotism to the current regime, instead of the empire devolving into a war of the five kingdoms scenario.

In the Banners setting, that might have actually been the absolute worst thing to do as well. Basically, it would remove all hesitation from the victimized on whether or not to completely annihilate planets. All human worlds are now at risk of sudden apocalyptic reprisals, and the human factions must now commit themselves to wholesale genocide.

And that shit is gonna get expensive.
>>
>>147043166

Jinto wouldn't want to live forever, anyway. He has no greater ambitions beyond his love for Lafiel.
>>
Who blow up Abh capital and how?
>>
>>147043390
Spending more time with his love seems like a pretty important reason for living longer.
>>
>>147043616

It really depends on what Lafiel would ask of him. If she asked him to live longer if the means were available, he would.
>>
File: 1455485946828.jpg (29KB, 336x317px) Image search: [Google]
1455485946828.jpg
29KB, 336x317px
>>147043352
> the effects of taking out a capital planet largely depends on the empire's dependency to it.

It's not a capital planet, it's a gathering of artificial worlds, mostly revolving around an old city-ship. Remember Crests? They mentioned it. The Ahb might have made space their home, but that doesn't mean they don't have a home in space. They're dependent on it, since a significant amount of their reliable production and logistics capacity is located there. Fuel is little issue, however, since most of that stuff is generated uniformly throughout their territory, for obvious reasons.

>>147043451
Remember the neutral Hania fags that had like, 30 seconds of screentime? They join the Abh empire willingly in VI, but not unanimously. Through Hania space, and with the help from sympathetic elements in their military, the triumvirate ganks Lakfakalle while their fleet is dispatched too far away to mount any sort of defense.

Empress tries to stall for time with a paltry few ships so that the evacuation of their people, shipyards and other crucial production facilities can proceed, gets blown up heroically.

The Ahb generally have always been in a precarious spot. Very few planets are truly loyal to them, and they have to spread their forces thin to merely maintain their territories. Meanwhile, the triumvirate doesn't need to.

I'm guessing that in the next novel, their house of cards is going to start falling down now that they've shown weakness, lost a significant amount of production, and some of their fleets are on basically a forced retreat. Humanities' big advantage from the start was a great production capacity due to having a much larger loyal population, production, and the ingenuity/willingness to try entirely different tactical options. The Ahb just has fancy technology (that isn't applied well because no one gives a fuck what the commanders say), better officers and soldiers. They're ridiculously fucked.
>>
all i remember from this show is rape prison island
>>
File: 4393497.jpg (1MB, 1500x1060px) Image search: [Google]
4393497.jpg
1MB, 1500x1060px
Wow, a Seikai thread
>>
>>147045288
> That lewd, slutty drug-addicted girl at the very end of Banners II.

Having such a sultry character in an otherwise very modest show should be illegal.
>>
Seems like someone picked up the manga. I sent them the tank scans, so we'll see.
>>
>>147037255
Pussy.
>>
>>147044633
>Hania

Damn neutrals.
>>
>>
>>147048801
What was her name again?
>>
File: lafiel swim suit.jpg (109KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
lafiel swim suit.jpg
109KB, 1024x768px
>>147049904
Boku.
>>
If you don't support the Abh as the natural step forward in human civilization, you should probably walk into a wormhole mine.
>>
>>147044633
>>147047144

I always love seeing these anti-immigration/integration tidbits in Japanese fiction lately.

Abh stand a chance in the long game, since the humans are currently united around a focused anti-Abh campaign. Once that loses step, the humans could end up fighting among themselves like before - which gives the Abh a chance to come back. The humans can also only stomach so many losses in manpower before suffering political blowback - unless theres a twist later down the line that the humans end up cloning or creating a 2nd slave Abh caste to fight the war. Then there's basically no happy ending for the Abh.
>>
>>
>>147037255
If you watched the uncut version of the OVA (the 2-parter, not the single file TV version floating out there) then you should know he as good as GOT the girl, as far as you can "get" a space elf princess coming from a race with a tradition of growing their offspring externally, after careful genetic manipulation on the artificially inseminated egg.

This is doubly obvious if you watch Jinto and Lafiel interact throughout that OVA keeping in mind the other, super old ova, starring Lafiel's parents on a rather similiar trip.
>>
>>147036275
Spoil me. Is it true that the Empress is dead, and it's mentioned in narration that the Abh eventually lose the war?
>>
>>147040395
UM a shit. Abh is less shit but still also shit.

PSUOP master race.
>>
>>147051371
that doesn't happen right ?
>>
>>147039427
From everything I've heard, the Crest/Banner books are a solid step up in reading difficulty compared to your standard Light Novel.
>>
>>147036032
hilarious
>>
"I will become his world...and will make him my world.
>>
>>147037724
>I know it's unlikely, but still
With all the older stuffs that are getting a new adaptation or a sequel recently, I wouldn't be surprised if banner of the stars gets one too.
>>
>>147052004
see >>147044633
Yes she's dead, Neutral party helped human forces gank the Abh capital. The Abh havent lost the war yet but they are in a fucking terrible position and unless something significant changes their late-game prospects for the war aren't great.
>>
>>147038776
>couldn't tell if Lafiel was jealous
Remember in one of the banners, the way she stringed him up after catching him innocently chatting with Ekriel?

She eventually said it straight to his face, see pic related.

She's not seriously jealous - that would indicate distrust or doubts, and if anything, the entire series shows there's none. That's why its so comfy.

But she definitely enjoys toying with his - usually unjustified - sense of guilt, and watching him squirm.

Jinto a best husbando.
>>
File: df9080bffaa404d8dcf679644b34ab35.jpg (965KB, 1600x2374px) Image search: [Google]
df9080bffaa404d8dcf679644b34ab35.jpg
965KB, 1600x2374px
>>147052365
It's certainly something to hope for.
I hope space Operas come back into fashion if nothing else. Too much anime is space is all mecha these days.
>>
>>147052346
That's definitely true for a few reasons, not least of which being how many words the author invents (though it makes sense in the context of the story).

You could always read some Morioka's other stuff though. It's pretty good, and not too hard.
>>
>>147052454
Saw it, thanks. Glad to know the war isn't a foregone conclusion. Hopefully Morioka is gonna update within the next decade,
>>
>>147039247

Errm.

You finished the series?

Did you watch the "Birth" ova?

Did you watch the full, uncut, 2-part version of BotS3?

If you did not, you haven't watched the series, really. You're missing the two parts that actually give you the closure.

Not to mention that you missed all the Jinto+Lafiel SoL parts in BotS3.
>>
Oh, thanks for reminding about this OP. I started watching it some time ago and put it on hold during the prison shit which was especially boring.
>>
>>147044633
>>147052454
they really were looking for this anyway for being stupid even though they were supposed to be in a "higher plane". Not handling their invaded planet is the same as going out pants down.
>>
>>147040395
Not really.
Do rewatch Lafiel's dad's coquest speech.
Abh consider dealing with landers on the same order of 'pleasure' as dealing with cockroaches.
Unfortunately for them, gates and planar space exist, and landers taking their territorial squabbles into space always ends in war.
Being as rational as the abh are, they simply believe that controlling the space starting with high orbitals, is the simplest and most humane way of guaranteeing them their freedom to travel in peace. Note that many actual landers agree - see Samson. If you want to travel the stars that badly, signing up with the Abh isn't so bad, really.
I like the "but muh FREEDUM" vs "reason" setup, by the way.

>>147041586
Errm, you may have missed the fact that the orbital bombardment crap the granny carried in Crest was 1) propaganda 2) complete bullshit.
The series makes it painfully obvious that without access to high orbitals, it's just bloody impossible to build anything on the surface that would seriously threaten, or even scratch a paint on orbiting warships larger than unarmed shuttle.
Just watch the conclusion to BotS3 and the fate of HUEG land-based LAZORS on Jinto's homeworld.
At the same time, BotS1 makes it fairly clear that once high orbitals are secured, Abh just leave the surface dwellers be. And since very few worlds are able to develop in total isolation, much less keep their economies going without the interstellar trade to other worlds, sooner or later most of them cave in and work out some sort of agreement with the Abh.
>>
>>147052355
You do know Jinto told her to say that in HIS language.
She thought she was just saying Hello.
>>
>>147053119
I did indeed.
>>
>>147036032
Reminder that the space elves are fucking retarded and are by no means good.
>>
>>147053331
No one is correct in this series.

That's one of the better parts of it.
>>
>>147053355
Yes, I know, but their above it all pompous attitude pisses me off.

>Aim to monopolize a gateway to another galaxy

>Conquer anyone along the way

>'It's for the best of mankind!'

Fuck them. If only the humans weren't retarded too.
>>
>>147041804
>I mean, Lafiel in Banners II was 100% serious about bombing the prison planet to smithereens

Well, yup - that's why I can't understand for the life of me WHY so many morons insist Jinto never got the girl, or some such nonsense.

Now compare livid, genocidal Abriel to the lengthy discussions a certain Spoor had with a lander official in Banner1 regarding what the Abh will and will not do to his world.

It was rather obvious to everyone that Lafiel was FUCKING PISSED INSANE about someone daring to touch her husbando. And from the beginning, it was also made clear that pissing off one of the Abriels is the shortest path to get your ass, your family and your entire planet genocide'd out of existence.

You. Don't. Stand. Between. An Abriel. And her Husbando.

A touching aspect was, the BotS2 story was also where Lafiel herself realized just how and where Jinto fits in her life.

Also point of note - certain Spoor had seen through it all, "abriels do not cry" and all. Watch around timestamp of pic related if you need your memory refreshed.
>>
I'd like there to be some kind of resurgence for this series that sparks western interest again.
Mostly so that someone else can take a crack at translating novels again. The existing official English translations are less than ideal.
>>
>>147052454
The problem is, the Abh are where they are because they were sticking to their principles - merely controlling space and Sords.

The attack on the capital may hurt, but it may only be a matter of time when they change the strategy too: space is effing big, and actually defending a world from getting utterly devastated is much, much harder than slipping in, say, a kinetic strike that will devastate the planet.

In that sense, the war may be not decided as it was fought so far, but since 'humanity' and the others are fiercely territorial, they are fighting a completely lost cause against nomadic race like the Abh.
>>
>>147054038
How about an anon wins lottery, and funds a complete remake by Ufotable?
>>
>>147054467
How new are you?
>>
>tfw the animu doesn't adapt the funniest chapter where Lafiel has to pretend to be Jinto's sex doll in order to get past a checkpoint
>>
>>147054390
>they are fighting a completely lost cause against nomadic race like the Abh.

>Winning as of now in the novel

Let's get some more of that lost cause!

You're severely underestimating humanity and its will for retribution. Do you really think humanity will take it lying down? If the Abh get desperate and start glassing planets, the survivors will never forgive and observers will take note. Humanity is VERY emotional. It's ending up basically Abh vs everyone, including the planets they've conquered that get second thoughts.

The Empire is weak and weakness kills. Being a proud nomadic race of master race elves doesn't mean shit when your subjects rise up and your shipyards burn.
>>
MINESMINESMINESMUNESMINESMINESMINESMINES
>>
File: c5d3e89e5cb67fd66bdf366b56521a11.jpg (328KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
c5d3e89e5cb67fd66bdf366b56521a11.jpg
328KB, 1024x768px
>>147055601
Exciting space combat
>>
>>147055202
If the Abh get their heads out of their asses and start fighting more cleverly/innovatively they'll still win. But that's not going to happen is it.
>>
So I have all of Crest on DVD and am looking to watch Banner. Don't feel like traacking down physical copies right now because funds are tight but I keep seeing that there are different versions of Banner floating around. What is recommended watching order for Banner? Just go in order or what?

It's also nice to see space operas still get love on /a/. For me they can be somewhat hard to penetrate because of how insane these authors are with their terminology and world building but once you get in they are really good.
>>
Can anyone recommend me some other space stories?

And hope YP picks this up.
>>
>>147058816
irresponsible captain tylor, LOGH
>>
>>147044633
Are we finally going to get space elves slaves and raped now that they are getting conquered?
Did they introduce a space orcs equivalent in the newest book?
>>
File: 1.png (2MB, 728x1032px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
2MB, 728x1032px
Has anyone translated pic related?
>>
>>147060462
One chapter is on Batoto.
>>
>>147057743

Their officer core are of questionable levels of sanity but all of their COs can fight a long guerilla war. It has already become a war of annihilation. Neither species can suffer the other to live at this juncture.
>>
File: Crest of the Stars -Lafiel.jpg (149KB, 541x684px) Image search: [Google]
Crest of the Stars -Lafiel.jpg
149KB, 541x684px
>>147052004
>and it's mentioned in narration that the Abh eventually lose the war?

Well, the opening monologue of the anime is pretty much a historian discussing the Abh Empire in the past tense. It's ambiguous how far in the future this historian is speaking from.
>>
>>147062071
Well, if this conflict is really supposed to correlate with the Peloponnesian War, the Abh Empire is probably not coming out of this intact.
>>
File: 1460169122449.png (339KB, 811x720px) Image search: [Google]
1460169122449.png
339KB, 811x720px
>>147062071
>>147062370
> The Abh lose.
> Lafiel is soon-to-be empress.

Oh god, this is going to end as a tragedy, isn't it?

I feel like their ending will mirror what happened to Jinto's dad, but effectively in the reverse. They'll see the inevitable outcome of the war a year or two in advance, and decide to have children 'normally' created through missionary position for the purpose of procreation, or a straight genetic swap instead of aiming for perfection so that they can blend in with the other humans; all so that they can leave their future behind.

They'll work out a deal with one of the sensible of human leaders to surrender instead of fighting to the last man, predicated on one their kids becoming human royalty, or at least being spared, in exchange for their own lives.

Happy ending.
>>
>>147063528

I don't see that happening. I don't see any scenario where Abh royalty surrender to human governments or entities happening. The humans have gone full blown racial extermination mode, and we've already seen what a purge would look like under human occupation. With the human triumvirate succeeding as the only dominant force in the galaxy, no regional government would dare disobey them or fall outside their favor by cutting their own deals with the Abh.

Absolute worst case scenario is Lafiel leads a migrant fleet of what remains of the Abh Empire into the far reaches of space; and in the far future towards the end of her life (after Jinto has died), they finally find a planetary cluster far removed from the humans to colonize and she manages to create the rose planet that she and Jinto always wanted to have.
>>
File: Explain Further.jpg (135KB, 649x536px) Image search: [Google]
Explain Further.jpg
135KB, 649x536px
>>147062370
>Well, if this conflict is really supposed to correlate with the Peloponnesian War
>>
>>147063528
There is no victory.
Only acceptance.
>>
>>147062071
I dont think the Abh lose or win the war exactly. Its more like Humanity as a whole loses the war. Meaning this is a war where everyone loses. Basically its the first ever true intergalactic war and both side hammer each other to snot. The leftovers would hardly be considered "winners" when most of the human race is dead. Also, the historian is speaking in Baronh. So I leave it to you on who the point of view the historian is.
>>
>>147064783

The humans performed a decapitation strike without neutralizing the enemy's fleets. This will certainly guarantee heavy reprisal attacks, and whole planets will most certainly be glassed in the aftermath. Humanity as a whole will approach the verge of extinction.

The conflict was inevitable, however. Tragic and retarded, but inevitable.
>>
>>147052454
They only lost the Capital. If you read the books, the Capital isnt actually important in terms of war fighting ability. Hell, there are less than 2 million Abh in the capital. The main advantage the Capital has is its Sords. It can link directly to all of Abh controlled Kingdoms. In Crest, the 3 Party Alliance attacks and takes away one Sord in the Capital so it isolates a Kingdom, which is why in Banner, the story is about the Abh getting it back by attacking through enemy space. Now that Hania has attacked with the others, the Abh will now simply begin the next phase where they wipe out all non Abh. Their main fleets will simply turn around and crush Hania then the rest. And Abh having morale issues....right. These are the guys who dont blink at saying "why dont we blow away your atmosphere" just to get a few rioting prisoners.
>>
>>147058035
You should obviously go Crest -> Birth OVA -> Banner I -> II -> III

I've not seen the movies but I heard they are just recaps with some added footage.
>>
>>147065271
And they didnt even get the Crown Prince who was the one in charge of the war in the first place. Those grounders are so fucked.
>>
File: 1460093338564.png (472KB, 855x851px) Image search: [Google]
1460093338564.png
472KB, 855x851px
>>147065434
> If you read the books, the Capital isnt actually important in terms of war fighting ability

You're retarded. The population is fairly low for being a space megacity, but much of their precious production and logistical shipyards are located there, and the Abh don't really have anywhere near a comparable population to Mankind United. Most people, for some reason, mistake 'have no home-planet and living in space' with 'have no large concentration of necessary industrial/economic facilities'.

The only thing that's fairly uniformly distributed throughout the empire are antimatter fuel generators, and Sords.

>>147065271
The biggest problem is that very few planets really has any actual loyalty to the Abh, meaning securing and maintaining the security of sectors takes additional manpower.

Basically, by Banners III, their forces are stretched thin. They have a massive fleet and excellent commanders, but due to the nature of their empire, they're unwieldy.

It's doubtful that the Abh will ever resort to mass-glassing campaigns with Lafiel, or her father at the helm of the empire, since it's the antithesis to their non-interventionalist 'peaceful' beliefs. Lafiel doesn't have as many scruples as her father, but Jinto can act as a moderator for her actions.

Now, individual fleets might glass planets anyway, and Lafiel is going to have some emotional issues, because her mother was killed and the Abh are super big on the whole 'revenge' thing.
>>
>>147066264

>The biggest problem is that very few planets really has any actual loyalty to the Abh, meaning securing and maintaining the security of sectors takes additional manpower.

The funny thing about the Abh is they always ruled through fear - to the point where even Abh nobles would hide their shit from the empire for fear of merciless persecution. This event will not make anyone feel safer. There will be a galactic scouring and no one will learn of the dying screams of whole planets until well after the fact.
>>
I could watch Jinto and Lafiel interact with each other forever. They always me smirk like an idiot.

I wish I had a relationship like that.
>>
>>147064545
Series of Wars between Sparta and Atens that ended in Spartan victory. Not sure how it connects to abhs vs human empire?
>>
>>147066605
dont just wish for it, make it happen.
>>
>>147069496

It'll end with the as-yet revealed Galactic Islamic State invading known space from the realm beyond, and Lafiel and the human fights of Jinto's realm will stage a 3 day hold out with 300 capital ships and 1000 assault ships before being betrayed and destroyed. Their sacrifice inspires all the fleets and factions to band together as the Humanoid Realm and fight off the invaders.
>>
File: 1460766812365.png (228KB, 358x408px) Image search: [Google]
1460766812365.png
228KB, 358x408px
>>147069706
To be honest, I feel like all that stuff in III about the Abh possibly not being able to betray the collective whole is going to come into play later, and shown to simply not be the case like most of them believe, and rather, simply hasn't happened because of their autism, natural solidarity, lack of shared culture with other societies, the (justified) hatred from most Landers of the Abh, and the strength of their burgeoning empire making betrayal a wholly foolish affiar. Once it becomes more beneficial for them (the empire weakens significantly, as in V), it's not farfetched to believe that we'll have some traitors to more 'neutral' states like Hania that don't detest the Abh as a whole.

I suspect it'll come as a huge shock in their entire society, being unused to the very idea that an Abh could ever betray their own people. Rather, it just hasn't been beneficial for anyone to do so, until recently.
>>
>>147066264
Its shown a good number of Abh controlled planets do not like the Human nations anymore than they like the abh, The government of Snuffugnam actually stages a resistance with the small force, but of course they are vastly outnumbered by the United Mankind.

The big issue as you said is that there war manufacturing centers, and the gates that connect their empire are all in Lakafelle. With it taken they empire is divided and and weak.

The abh are in a bad enough position that they promote Lafiel two ranks and make her heir apparent long before her time.

Another thing is Lafiel is not beyond orbiral bombardment and the current emperor certainly is not, Lafiel casually suggested blowing part of a planets atmosphere off to control the population, at which point Jinto had to hastily explain that they wouldn't do this without the territories permission
>>
>>147070851

But the Abh still have the bulk of their fleets and experienced officer corps. With the capital gone, the fleets will be forced to operate independently. That means they will be a lot less predictable. United Mankind will have to prioritize their defenses around their manufacturing centers or their population centers.

You can't fight a war with manufacturing power, and you can't fight a war without manpower. One of those two things will get glassed.
>>
>>147071101
But even though the Abh usually win their victories are often quite costly. In the Crest novels they repel an invasion of their capital, but it takes them three years to rebuild their space force to the point they can carry out offensive operations.
>>
>>147070851
> Another thing is Lafiel is not beyond orbiral bombardment and the current emperor certainly is not,

The point is that Jinto can control Lafiel and make sure she doesn't go overboard, and the king is more moderate. He propones peaceful solutions over militiaristic ones, but will resort to orbital bombardment if necessary.

The point is that he's not the type of person to glass an entire civilization.

>>147071101
> But the Abh still have the bulk of their fleets and experienced officer corps. With the capital gone, the fleets will be forced to operate independently. That means they will be a lot less predictable

This is true, but the issue for the Abh now is in supplying their fleets, logistics, and maintaining their territories. It's no use having a massive fleet that you can't repair or can't rearm. Refueling isn't as much of an issue due to the nature of how they collect it.

They could go on an Alexander The Great-esque suicide mission to each of their capitals, but it's not going to do squat when they're off massacring their non-combatant population.

A large portion of their fleet is basically dead weight too in that era too, assault ships.
>>
>>147037724
>the fact that Lafiel will live twice as long as the protagonist while being eternally a flawless 20-year-old is a fucking depressing thought.
My wife going to be eternally young? How is that depressing? On the contrary!
>>
>>147071254

>They could go on an Alexander The Great-esque suicide mission to each of their capitals, but it's not going to do squat when they're off massacring their non-combatant population.

Its a war of annihilation at this point. Logical consistency is no longer a factor. Kill or be killed, and the Abh will not settle for being killed. Jinto can only hope that United Mankind will be willing to sue for peace at some point after enough planets are glassed.

And the Abh are not above taking and using the enemy's facilities for their own devices.
>>
>>147037724
They actually stop aging at about the level of a thirty year old, but it takes over fifty years to reach that point
>>
>>147071428
But can they be Loli tier?
>>
File: Admiral_Spoor_Bridge_View.jpg (96KB, 700x959px) Image search: [Google]
Admiral_Spoor_Bridge_View.jpg
96KB, 700x959px
Why aren't we talking about superior Commanding Officer/Woman/Swagmistess?
>>
The Domestic Crest of the Stars Novels are actually really good about explaining why the Empire is disliked.

TL;DR They cap people's spacefaring ambitions.
>>
>>147072236
>But can they be Loli tier?

Remember that scene with a young Lafiel, where her father claims that a cat was her gene donor?
>>
>>147036032
Ever notice that almost all conversations between abh are teasing, backhanded compliments and veld insults, even between family and lovers
>>
>>147037255
Normal humans can't extend their life? I recal dude from opposing empre did just that.
>>
>>147073716
It seems that you can extend your childrens life. I dont think its ever been clarified whether the technology exists to extend your own in the same way.
>>
How far jinto get with lafiel in LNs anyway?
>>
File: 1452638666101.jpg (45KB, 379x417px) Image search: [Google]
1452638666101.jpg
45KB, 379x417px
>>147072341
She was literally the best part of the show.

Her and her Chief of Staff should get together for some BDSM fun. Doujins when? They're a perfect duo.

>>147075589
In the OVAs he's basically already dating her.

Generally speaking, the Abhs leave everything pretty much unsaid and implied, it's probably a side-effect of their space autism.

Fairly sure nothing new has happened since III, mostly because they're basically already as close as Abhs can ever get, they're basically already married, and they have more than enough already on their plate. Though they'll indubitably have children at some point, probably after Lafiel becomes empress.
>>
>>147078032
Honestly I rememberher being pretty far in inheritance line. Did it move so quickly?
>>
>>147078751
They're setting her up for heir apparent in the novel. The Empress is dead as fuck, along with many of other royals due to the surprise attack on the capital, and Lafiel's been given absurd promotions far before she'd ready for it. She just skipped two ranks for doing basically jack shit.

Her father is also fighting at the front line and could die at any moment.

Generally speaking, the Abh are fucked in every sense of the word, and I feel like it's going to get progressively worse as it continues.
>>
>>147063528
Anon abh can't have babies by doing sex in the missionary position with the sole purpose of procreating because it's been said in the animu that their genetic makeup is so fucked up they have to control it otherwise the Abh will be extinct in two generations of doing sex in the missionary position with the sole purpose of procreating
>>
>>147065434
Didn't their capital also hosted the largest antimatter factory in the entire galaxy or something?
>>
>you will born too soon to explore galaxy wit qt space elves

Just shoot me into the sun
>>
File: 36692.jpg (89KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
36692.jpg
89KB, 640x480px
>>147072341
>This idiot survive and make fun of others
>meanwhile great commander die
>>
>>147079223
So what rank she is right now?
>>
>>147081067

It honestly doesn't matter, the point is she is being promoted so fast because all the people who would have normally been in line for her promotions are dead. Anon is stating that at the current rate of attrition, she will become queen before this conflict is over.

I think thats grossly blowing up the implications of the latest novel, however. The crown prince is no slouch, and he has all of the empire's fleets at his command. And no one has ever taught him the meaning of the word 'compromise'.
>>
>>147079914
>Born too early to exterminate space elves

Life truly isn't fair.
>>
I wish I could speak Baronh. I try to find sources but they are lacking and spread and in languages I don't speak
I love the sound system, and it's cool how things aren't pronounced as they are written
>>
>>147081067
I think Roifrode, rear admiral
>>
Question: someone here learned to read/talk abh language? Wasn't based on french?
>>
>>147083843
Baronh is interesting, it sound so different from Japanese but every once in a while you will notice a word or form that sound really japanese
>>
>>147084545
I really wish there were better resources avaible, and more and more will probably disappear due to internet rot.

Since "bar" is genitive of abh, I was thinking that's probably where that comes from, but what does onh mean then? One of the word lists lists it as idiot, but it kinda feels like the whole list was made by google translate, and it doesn't make sense, so probably something else right?
>>
>>147052580
> Did you watch the full, uncut, 2-part version of BotS3?

Wait, I got a 55 minute long file. Is there a longer version of the III OVA that I'm not aware of? I only see one on nyaa.
>>
>>147036032
Were do I find the novels? spoonfeed me mates.
>>
File: 1273787276969.jpg (62KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1273787276969.jpg
62KB, 1024x768px
>>147036032
I was and still am a fan of the way they fought using mines and rail-guns, and the look of the ships.
>>
>>147084732
bar onh means literally language of the abh.

>>147084536
They used french pronunciation, but the vocab comes from attempting to strip Chinese words from the japanese vocabulary, and then adding mutation over time
>>
The first season was the only one I watched, and it was alright despite being boring sometimes. Are the other series and the OVAs a little more interesting?
>>
So any chance of this being animated, re-animated or translated? Fucking love this series. Got the anime a while back too. Need to re-watch it.
>>
>>147082599
Go back to bed, UM-kun.
>>
File: 1460475783552.png (1MB, 1081x762px) Image search: [Google]
1460475783552.png
1MB, 1081x762px
>>147086183
Possible given all the remakes, but not likely since space operas aside from Gundam aren't that popular these days.

That said, since the guy started writing again, another cour is possible. Don't count on it though, the OVA aired more than a decade ago. The most you can hope for is a remake, or a movie.

Damn shame too, I adore space operas. I found that BotS was a great middle ground between LoGH (autistic amounts of detail/characters/worldbuilding/etc.), and something light and fluffy like Yamato.
>>
>>147088075
>cos gets a reboot
>lafiel is now a moe blob
>mc is now a bigger faggot
>all politcal talk is turned to MISUNDERSTANDINGS and ecchi humor
How would this make you feel?
>>
>>147088326
Slapstick CoS? I'd watch it, but I wouldn't take it seriously.

Bet they'd turn Lafiel into a modern tsundere too, instead of a kuudere with hints of tsun.
>>
>>147090089
>Baka anon s-stop teasing me I'll blow away your home planets atmosphere if you do!
>>
File: 1456015234956.jpg (381KB, 765x597px) Image search: [Google]
1456015234956.jpg
381KB, 765x597px
>>147090166
I suddenly want this.
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.