[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Billy Bat Final Chapter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

File: billy-bat-701734.jpg (121KB, 1200x837px) Image search: [Google]
billy-bat-701734.jpg
121KB, 1200x837px
The final chapter by Manga$tream: http://mangastream.com/r/billy_bat/Final%20Chapter/3638/1

All in all, not a great manga. Not recommended.
>>
>ANOTHER FUCKING HOPE ENDING
STOP IT ALREADY
>>
File: 1454570355240.png (101KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
1454570355240.png
101KB, 310x310px
>It's another "Urasawa tries to do a story with a huge sense of scale but can't actually write around those so it just ends up being an unreadable unsatisfying clusterfuck" episode

What are the odds. He should really learn to take it down a notch.
>>
>>146328423
I think he went full retard with this work. It's almost like a parody or satire.
>>
It's an interesting way to end it but I might feel that way because I dropped it a long time ago.
>>
At least it was really good in the middle!
>>
>>146328600
>At least it was really good in the middle!

Yes, it has its moments.
>>
So let's recap the final stretch

There were three bats, which were also a meteorite, that can grant wishes by switching to an alternate universe, but no longer because they are "used up".

So Kevin (2) goes full retard trying to stop the japanese killerman who, for some reason, gives up on his lifelong ambition on a whim (or maybe due to voodoo comic magic) and just dies quietly on the moon instead of wishing for an alternate world that no longer exists.

Meanwhile Timmy Sanada takes over the world's resources while the world turns into /pol/'s wet dream. Not that it leads anywhere, since he just has a little heart-to heart with Kevin and then buggers off to who-knows-where.

The final chapter with Johnny and Sergei was stylish, but I'm having a hard time to make out the message Urasawa was trying to tell with this. Unless it really was "Hurr, durr, hope!", in which case I feel a little insulted.

All in all, we still don't know what the Bat's endgame was, do we? One fucking job, Urasawa. At least it's over.
>>
>>146328621
>At least it's over
Or is it? I remember feeling the same way when 20th Century Boys ended, and suddenly we got another volume.
>>
File: 1451769854764.png (369KB, 558x672px) Image search: [Google]
1451769854764.png
369KB, 558x672px
>>146328621
>Unless it really was "Hurr, durr, hope!", in which case I feel a little insulted.

It is basically that. The end twist is that Billy Bat can people to do good.
So basically, what we knew for at least 75% of the manga.

I'm personally pissed Sanada's subplot basically went nowhere, the guy was set up as the antagonist after Chuck, yet practically did nothing outside of wanking over his bat and freak out in his office.
>>
>>146328423
>>It's another "Urasawa tries to do a story with a huge sense of scale but can't actually write around those so it just ends up being an unreadable unsatisfying clusterfuck" episode
>What are the odds. He should really learn to take it down a notch.

Remember the simple times with Yawara?
>>
Only Monster and Pluto had satisfying endings.
>>
>>146328835
>Monster
no
>>
Pluto is his best work.

But then you realize he basically just transplanted Buddha/Hi no Tori into Astro Boy.

20th century boys is still a masterpiece though. Definitely his most memorable work.
>>
>>146328947
I only read the original Pluto by Tezuka. Did Urasawa make significant changes to the story?
>>
>>146328947
>20cb

Until the time skip it was goat
>>
>>146328992
>Pluto by Tezuka

You mean Astro Boy?
>>
>>146329071
Pluto was a story arc in Astro Boy, yes.
>>
If only he hadn't a bunch of Stephen King

just imagine how things would be

>>146329090
its an original story using characters from astro boy but set at a later date
>>
>>146329118

Yeah, 20th century boys is a bit too Stephen Kingy.
>>
File: epsilon-2.png (232KB, 680x597px) Image search: [Google]
epsilon-2.png
232KB, 680x597px
>>146328992
Gesicht (the german robot officer) being the protag is probably the main change to it. Astro isn't even introduced until Vol 2.
Brandon, Hercules and North#2 are also vastly different from the original manga.
Oh yeah, and some really stupid and cringy "political commentary" about the US.

Globally the main lines are kept, but due to the protag switch and style of writing, it's naturally a lot more character focused. Advantage being, there's basically no fluff unlike everything else from Post-Monster Urasawa, It helps a lot to the enjoyment of the story.

Tenma did nothing wrong
>>
>>146329295
So I was confused. Was that a boy or a girl?

I mean, with
>>
>>146329431
*Urasawa's art style, you can never be sure.
>>
>>146328423
>Urasawa tries to do a story with a huge sense of scale but can't actually write
But he wasn't writing the story this time.
>>
>>146329468
He was though. It's just that there was also Nagasaki helping him.
You can definitely feel his style of writing (mainly the use of twists and flashback) all over BB.
>>
>>146329521
>You can definitely feel his style of writing
Won't argue with that. I just doubt he was the main writer, that's all.
>>
Finally. I can now read this in one go.
>>
Loved this ending.
>>
>>146328698
No, the "end twist" is that everyone efforts during the series were for the sake of the savior of the world.

Sanada was a tragic character on his own, he tried to save the world pretty much by graving it on his clutches and failed. The way he antagonized the Kevin's Billy Bat also could have lead to the death of the Earths savior.
>>
You think he's done with manga now?
>>
File: 1468514515981.jpg (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1468514515981.jpg
33KB, 500x500px
>mfw I kind of liked the ending

Granted, I was expecting something else, like Sanada playing a much bigger role, but I can't say I hated it. It was a good run.
>>
The ending felt nice, much more well done than the ending of 20cb, that one felt like a harsher slap to the face.
>>
The manga was great but as all of his manga it kinda dropped after a while.
Still good manga, the ending is meh but nice in it's on way. Looking forward to his next work.
>>
File: images (10).jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images (10).jpg
6KB, 300x168px
>>146328335
>>
It went to complete shit the moment the protagonist changed. It was interesting before, but after it was just a clusterfuck and I would find myself asking "why should I care" more often than I hoped I would.

I'm glad it's over. Hopefully Urasawa's next work will be on a more modest scale, with more character focus and less stupid timeskipping.
>>
>>146331886
This.

Could have tied up a few loose ends, but was still enjoyable.
>>
I really liked Billy Bat, but it got too confused in itself. There was no real villain or reason for there to be hero characters, but the hero characters were there. No real reason for them to be acting, but they still acted.

Still, I love the mickey mouse conspiracy/parody of Billy Bat. For that reason alone, I enjoyed the manga from beginning to end.
>>
>>146339038
I also enjoyed that aspect of it. I'm not sure what to think of the ending...
Billy Bat was just an advanced alien being?
>>
>>146328423
>smug anime girl
>"it's another episode" meme
>buzzwords out of the ass

You went all out with this post, didn't you?

I agree, though.
>>
>>146340647
I think Billy Bat was mostly the collective unconcious, somehow triggered by the meteor impact.
>>
honestly...i thought there would be more to the ending, i was hoping even up to this final chapter
but nothing
no explanation whatsoever about the origins of the bat and alternate universes and all that shit.

And i was even digging the whole "Mickey mouse is a huge conspiracy with magic and shit" plot
>>
Wait, you mean it's FINALLY finished?

I'd been waiting for it to end before I start it.

But judging by the reactions in the thread, it didn't turn out well.
Compare it to Monster, Pluto, or 20th Century Boys, please.
>>
>>146341673
yes it has ended, when the last chapter was going to be released i wanted to make a thread telling people "And to those who wanted to wait untlil it's finished, you can go ahead and read it now"

Well the ending is the worst of all i would say, the beginning is actually as good as 20th century boys i would say, the middle is a hit and miss, around Monster level with side stories and such
>>
>>146341585
Do you know around what chapter where they revealed the meteor shit? I dropped it for a bit and missed that part.

Ending was definitely bit of a hack job. It wasn't something that was planned. Obvious he just came up with it a couple weeks ago. Just like the ending to his other mangas.
>>
Man, what was the fuckin point of the story again?

I guess destiny is kinda set in place and Billy was sort of our "out" where people who found him could wish for a different alternate world...then we ran out of them somehow??

And then in the end it's "Oh yeah, you guys are generally so predictable but sometimes you can do amazing things and change everything"- with the two soldiers saving the kid who will then save the world??

Shit sucks.
>>
>>146342352
chapter 160, that is pretty much the chapter where most of what billy bat is is explained. Though not really, thus my rant above
>>
The ending was fine to be honest. And the 'LOL HOPE' actually fits the 'there's no second chance' thing pretty well.

Had he actually explained the Bat's end game I think all the crap that happened would have lost its meaning.
>>
>>146342542
I think the point is that there's just hope for humanity if people try. Even if one person doesn't seem to accomplish much, in the end it can lead to salvation. Small works and hope add up to eventually saving the world.
>>
>>146341673
You know how in a lot of mystery/conspiracy stories at the very end they reveal exactly what was going on, and it's always disappointing because the question was much more interesting than the answer? Billy Bat has the exact opposite problem, but the benefit is that it is only sort of unsatisfying rather than very disappointing.
>>
so you guys think theres gonna be some sort of adaption of billy bat now?
>>
>>146343277
This is a work I'd actually kill for a Hollywood adaptation.
>>
File: 1406591771169.gif (198KB, 317x266px) Image search: [Google]
1406591771169.gif
198KB, 317x266px
>>146336427
This was one of the few instances I didn't mind a protagonist change. I have no explanation why that is, I guess probably because I binged it in a couple of days and the thriller/suspense just pulled me in.

>>146339038
The Disney is evil thing was pretty enjoyable, you don't see many people dumping or even parodying Disney's more dark side that often.

But. Probably his worst ending yet, it feels like they wrote themselves into a corner or got confused along the way and ended it since they just couldn't figure out a real way to end it and tie everything up.

Still. I enjoyed it overall and the whoile, "Keep drawing." struck me pretty close since I've been struggling to motivate myself to draw again.
>>
>>146328423
There has literally never been an Urasawa manga with a good ending. Pluto is his best work IMO and even that falls apart at the end.
>>
>>146343464
You think he does it intentionally? As a kind of, "Endings are never satisfying in the real world." thing?
>>
>>146343638
No, I just think he's not very good at ending his stories.
>>
>>146343678
That's probs way more likely. Naoki seems too into good feelings to pull some depressing shit.
>>
File: 1398732222473.jpg (62KB, 417x384px) Image search: [Google]
1398732222473.jpg
62KB, 417x384px
you know this time last week i was ready to sy this was my favorite manga.
then this final chapter happened.
>>
What did the part with Jesus and Judas have to do with anything? Also the scroll?
>>
>>146345674
pretty much nothing

Just shows that the Bat is some kind of 4 dimensional being seeing all our time at once and influencing us, since forever
>>
>>146328835
Pluto's ending was fucking perfect. One of the most satisfying last manga pages i remember.
>>
Color pages of Billy Bat were the best part of BB
. Did BB get the axe? Way too many subplots just left unexplained for me to enjoy it.
>>
>>146346995
I feel like he just didn't have a great idea of what he wanted to do with the subplots. He wanted to show how Billy Bat affected almost everything in history, but there weren't many conclusions for what he tried to start to show that.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.