[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do people mean when they say Ichigo is a reactionary protagonist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: newsletter-naruto3.png (457KB, 500x583px) Image search: [Google]
newsletter-naruto3.png
457KB, 500x583px
What do people mean when they say Ichigo is a reactionary protagonist? Explain how Luffy or Goku are not.

Really, out of Shonen Jump, Naruto is the only character with any serious development since Yusuke or Kenshin.
>>
>>146258380
Who the fuck needs character development, when you have a character who stays hilarious and interesting even after 20 years like Luffy?
>>
>>146258745
>Onepiecefags actually believe this
>>
>>146258837
I mean, it works doesn't it? Of course character development is important in the most cases, but not all
>>
>>146258380
Yoh is better than Nardo in every way.
>>
>>146258380
What?

Unless you mean it in a political sense, that is a complete misuse of the word "reactionary". What you probably meant to say was reactive or proactive.
>>
>>146258380
Also Ichigo is a reactive protagonist because he only reacts to circumstances as they occur, he doesn't have a concrete tangible goal like Nardo and Luffy.
>>
>>146258988
literally who?
>>
Luffy and Naruto both have goals. They are constantly working towards those goals. Ichigo only 'reacts' to whatever the current main villains happen to be doing. If Aizen or Ywach never did anything, then Ichigo in turn wouldn't have done anything. He's a character who's only goal is 'stop the villain'. Whenever an arc ends, he doesn't really have anything to do except wait for the next one to start.

Essentially, it's the difference between having your villains be impediments to the main characters goals and the villains just directly being the main character's goals.
>>
>>146259274
Wasn't his goal to just live a normal life?
>>
>>146259345
>being this new
>>
>>146259434
Which was tossed out the window when he lost his powers and was super depressed
>>
>>146259413
How does Luffy differ from Ichigo?

His goal is to find the Grand Line so that he can be king of the pirates. But that's not a goal. That's just a motive. You may say Naruto starts off on the same foot, he just wants to be Hokage so that he can get some respect. But even ignoring Iruka in chapter 1, he starts to realize how faulty that is under Kakashi's mentorship ("those who abandon their teammates are worse than trash!"). Gradually he accepts Sasuke, and eventually even has to save him because he views it and being Hokage as one in the same. There are layers to his character development beyond his want to be Hokage, such that by the end, you've almost forgotten that was his goal.

After Luffy becomes king, then what? Who is he?
>>
>>146260346
>But that's not a goal.
Becoming king of the pirates is a goal.
>After Luffy becomes king, then what?
The series ends.
>Who is he?
King of the pirates.
>>
>>146260887
>Who is he?
>King of the pirates.
Specifically, he is the most free man on the seas, which is the underlying goal that comes with becoming King of the Pirates that he got from his brother
>>
File: 1435678537794.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1435678537794.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>146258380
Why is it that the only thing good in Naruto was the Chunin Exams and Jaya Island for One Piece and the very beginning for Bleach.
>>
>>146261645
This is it, people keep on mistaking 'King' means to be in charge of all the pirates. Gol D Roger wasn't that, he was just the badass that stood on top of all other pirates in reputation, he did what he wanted to do until he eventually got hunted down.

The perfect ending would be Luffy becomes King, only for the final chapter to end with his beheading. heh.
>>
File: bNi20UL.jpg (33KB, 671x532px) Image search: [Google]
bNi20UL.jpg
33KB, 671x532px
>>146263514

like_u_wouldn't_do_psychedelics_with_da_naruto_crew_famw
>>
File: Kekkaishi.jpg (26KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Kekkaishi.jpg
26KB, 500x281px
Yoshimori is a better Ichigo. He have the same role as ghostbuster but even if it was only his job he still had a goal, he wanted to seal all the spirits for once. Ichigo is so basic that when he loss his powers he become a mopey bitch, yes I know it was because he wanted protect his loved ones but he still lack any ambition, any other shonen protagonist would have work his butt to find another way.
>>
>>146267742
Is that Inuyasha? Literally looks like Inuyasha to me (the anime not the character).
>>
So I just started watching the last movie and the very first fucking scene has a plot hole in it. Because Naruto tries to do a shadow clone thing even though he only learned that from the scroll thing like ten years later.

I hardly even remember the anime from when I watched it years ago, and I can still pick up on how badly this movie was done.

Loli Hinata is alright, though.
>>
>>146259434
It was to protect people.
>>
After watching Bleach since 2005-10, reading from 2010 through cancellation, I can't tell you what Ichigo's raison d'ĂȘtre is. He was turned into some magical 3 race hybrid by the end, and it wasn't even used because of lol cancellation. It probably would've been too depressing for casuals/normals, but they should've turned him into Soul King 2.0. At least in that situation, you could argue that Ichigo's journey was that of sacrifice up until the very end. Instead of setting into normie life with a titcow, and leaving us all wondering, so "he went through all that just to be a normie in the end?"
>>
>>146258380
>Naruto is the only character with any serious development since Yusuke

If Naruto ended at Part 1. I would agree with this. Part 1 Naruto was eseentially him being an underdog trying to gain respect from his colleagues. Heck, the build up that lead towards his battle against Gaara was still one of the best developments i've seen in a manga.

Part 2 Naruto went straight in the gutter when it came to development. The only actually "development" I would consider above average is when he contemplated on Dark Naruto's and Itachi's words on their perspective of him becoming Hokage.
>>
>>146258380
Ichigo separated himself from protagonist like Naruto and Luffy because of the whole "I'M GOING TO BE THE BEST ____ EVAH!!!"

Goku: "I'm going to be the best FIGHTER ever!"
Naruto: "I'm going to be the best NINJA ever!"
Luffy: "I'm going to be the best PIRATE ever!"
Deku: "I'm going to be the best HERO ever"

Same goal, easily replaceable terminology. The buzzword is so generic that it doesn't differentiate themselves from each other.

Ichigo "Well, I just want to protect my town and friends. I tried wishing for a normal life, but I see that doesn't work. Ultimately, I'm the substitute soul reaper who's job is to protect my town from all the different bad guys."
>>
>>146271250
Yusuke was the same thing, except he had a better personality.
>>
>>146270116
It was clone jutsu, the jutsu that was on the test that he failed initially at the very start of Naruto. There's a difference.
>>
>>146271309
Yusuke happened between 1990-1994 though.

The characters that started over saturating the market happened around the very late 1990's era. Bleach started in 2001. That is 7 years AFTER Yu Yu Hakusho did. Just enough time to keep the manga from becoming over saturated
>>
>>146271334
No, he specifically says "shadow". It's like two minutes into the movie. The whole movie is ham fisted and bad. Like, just a few minutes after that plot whole, Hinata gets knocked off a tall building and is about to "fall to her death" because the scarf is going to break. Save for the fact they're ninja and can walk on the side of the walls.
>>
>>146271250
No goal and no personality. Awesome.
>>
>>146272271
>No personality
he was more of the straight everyday man.

>no goal
He just wanted to protect his town and friends. It's not a shining goal, but it is a different goal from the copy-paste action of every other protagonist ever.
>>
>>146272395
>he was more of the straight everyday man
Boring.
>He just wanted to protect his town and friends.
"I wish to protect what's precious to me" - Every shonen protagonist ever. It's basic as fuck.

Ichigo sucks.
>>
>>146272468
It's not boring just because it's more realistic. It's only boring if it's used by every other protagonist.

Protagonist say this, but it's just a generic "Power of friendship" word that isn't a real huge drive to their goal. Ichigo was driven by that unlike Luffy, Naruto and Goku.
>>
>>146272531
Two things can be true at the same. Ichigo is both boring and realistic. The fact remains, it's inexcusable that Kubo didn't do any character development for his cast, in the 15 years on Jump.
>>
>>146272531
No it's boring because it's straight up boring. Ichigo is just vapid.
>Protagonist say this, but it's just a generic "Power of friendship" word that isn't a real huge drive to their goal.
It is a part of their characters and they get just as much done as Ichigo while also having a personal goal. Generic "power of friendship" applies just as much to Ichigo and you admit that's all there is to him. That makes him half of what they are. A boring and basic protagonist.
>>
>>146258380
Just watched Boruto movie last night. Both Naruto and Boruto were disappointing..
>>
>>146274548
Naruto was barely naruto, had gay hair, and boruto was a spoilt, cheating little prick.
>>
>>146258745
Luffy: WE GOTTA HELP THE XX PEOPLE xD
>10 chapters later
Luffy: *insert halarious joke xD*
>Onto the next Arc
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.